on Youtube

Skip to the first unread message

eelco janzen

14 Mar 2012, 11:21:2814/03/2012
I just discovered this on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ptd7WGslA&feature=related

I see/hear Tuvan throat singing, Johnny Guitar Watson, Frank, Gail,
Moon, Dweezil.
When/where was this ?

VVV
eelco

ttuerff

14 Mar 2012, 13:52:3014/03/2012
This was one of the "margarita nights" put together by Gail in the
months before Frank died, where musicians were invited over for drinks
and jamming. The Throat Singers are Huun Huur Tu, who dedicated a song
on one of their albums to Frank ( I think it's called "60 Horses in My
Herd,"; they performed that song at FZ's and may have recorded it at
UMRK. The Chieftains recorded material for at least two of their
albums at UMRK as a result of coming to a "margarita night."

TT

Charles Ulrich

14 Mar 2012, 14:39:0714/03/2012
In article <4f60b778$0$238$dbd4...@news.wanadoo.nl>,
eelco janzen <jan...@dds.nl> wrote:

> I just discovered this on Youtube:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ptd7WGslA&feature=related
>
> I see/hear Tuvan throat singing, Johnny Guitar Watson, Frank, Gail,
> Moon, Dweezil.

and The Chieftains.

> When/where was this ?

FZ's house, January 1993.

See <http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/videography/SaladParty93.html>.

--Charles

Charles Ulrich

14 Mar 2012, 14:51:4414/03/2012
In article
<f7f5e8e5-2ab2-44fc...@w29g2000yqw.googlegroups.com>,
ttuerff <ttu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Throat Singers are Huun Huur Tu,

Huun Huur Tu hadn't been formed yet. Two of the three throat-singers
here (Kaigal-ool Khovalyg and Anatoli Kuular) were later in Huun Huur
Tu, but the other one (Kongar-ol Ondar, the one with the shaved head)
wasn't.

> who dedicated a song on one of their albums to Frank ( I think it's
> called "60 Horses in My Herd,"; they performed that song at FZ's and
> may have recorded it at UMRK.

The album is indeed called 60 Horses In My Herd. But only the one song,
Song Of The Caravan Drivers, is dedicated "In honor of Frank Zappa, who
loves this song." And the version on the album wasn't recorded at UMRK.

> The Chieftains recorded material for at least two of their albums at
> UMRK as a result of coming to a "margarita night."

Some of the tracks on The Celtic Harp and The Long Black Veil.

--Charles

ttuerff

15 Mar 2012, 11:43:0815/03/2012
On Mar 14, 11:51 am, Charles Ulrich <charlesulr...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> In article
> <f7f5e8e5-2ab2-44fc-b76e-083733dd9...@w29g2000yqw.googlegroups.com>,
Thank you for clarifying, Charles!

zy100 borg

16 Mar 2012, 20:02:5316/03/2012
The footage for this soiree was shot by Christopher Sykes while making
the biography documentary for BBC. Sykes was also responsible for
several films on Richard Feynman. Feynman of course tried to travel to
Tuva, as described in the book Tuva or Bust, co-written by his friend
Ralph Leighton. A few years later, the Tuva throat singers were
introduced to Zappa by Leighton, who was a guest at the soiree and can
be seen in the video, It was thanks to Ralph that Zappa ever heard of
them. The connection to Sykes and Leighton might also explain why
Feynman appears in the thank you list in the MOFO box. Not, perhaps,
because Frank and Dick ever met (Dick died in 1988), but because
somebody explained to Frank about Dick and his life's work and that
had an impact on Frank's thinking about the universe, time and those
waves.