New CD - Phlly 76 on Vaulternative

Mike Espinoza

Nov 20, 2009, 1:57:50 AM11/20/09
Just got back from the ZPZ show in Austin. First of the tour.

Anyway, while introducing the song "You Didn't Try To Call Me",
Dweezil announced that it would be on a new CD called Philly 76, from
a Zappa band that included "a female singer named Bianca". Then,
Scheila Gonzalez proceeded to sing the song.

I talked to Joe Travers after the show. He said it is a complete
concert. He said he hopes it will be out by the end of the year.

Finally, a complete concert with Bianca. Yay!
--
Mike E.

marc rosen

Nov 20, 2009, 9:05:53 AM11/20/09

Sounds exciting. Thanks Mike for getting me (us) excited with
anticipation.

Marc

Charles Ulrich

Nov 20, 2009, 9:27:17 AM11/20/09
In article <4b063a89....@news.eternal-september.org>,
dlok...@yah-who.calm (Mike Espinoza) wrote:

> Just got back from the ZPZ show in Austin. First of the tour.
>
> Anyway, while introducing the song "You Didn't Try To Call Me",
> Dweezil announced that it would be on a new CD called Philly 76, from
> a Zappa band that included "a female singer named Bianca". Then,
> Scheila Gonzalez proceeded to sing the song.

Did Scheila sing the fall '76 arrangement?

> Finally, a complete concert with Bianca. Yay!

I'm waiting for someone to complain that it's not all previously
unreleased material.

--Charles

darkme

Nov 20, 2009, 11:13:41 AM11/20/09

Is it the the 10-29-76 show?

If so, it looks like Flo & Eddy are guests.

The setlist on my boot is:

Intro
Stinkfoot
Dirty Love
Wind Up Workin' In A Gas Station
Tryin' To Grow A Chin
Torture Never Stops
City Of Tiny Lights

You Didn't Try To Call Me

Manx Needs Women
Titties 'n Beer
Black Napkins
Advance Romance
Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?

Rudy Wants To Buy Yez A Drink
Would You Go All The Way
Daddy Daddy Daddy
What Kind Of Girl Do You Think We Are?

Dinah-Moe Humm
Stranded In The Jungle
Find Her Finer
Camarillo Brillo
Muffin Man

Rich

Charles Ulrich

Nov 20, 2009, 1:03:11 PM11/20/09
In article <lnfdg5l3epvf3pj5i...@4ax.com>,
darkme <yo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Is it the the 10-29-76 show?

Yes.

> If so, it looks like Flo & Eddy are guests.

No.

Well, maybe it *looks* like it if you read the setlist. But those four
vaudeville band songs

> Rudy Wants To Buy Yez A Drink

> Would You Go All The Way?

> Daddy Daddy Daddy
> What Kind Of Girl Do You Think We Are?

were played semi-regularly in fall 1976.

The only time Flo & Eddie guested on that tour was 11/19/76 Detroit,
after Bianca left.

--Charles

Gary

Nov 20, 2009, 1:50:17 PM11/20/09
On Nov 20, 8:13 am, darkme <y...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Stranded In The Jungle

Oh boy! I have this on some REALLY crappy bootlegs. It's pretty
funny.

computeruser

Nov 20, 2009, 2:28:49 PM11/20/09
Charles Ulrich wrote...

> Mike Espinoza wrote:
>
>> Just got back from the ZPZ show in Austin. First of the tour.
>>
>> Anyway, while introducing the song "You Didn't Try To Call Me",
>> Dweezil announced that it would be on a new CD called Philly 76, from
>> a Zappa band that included "a female singer named Bianca". Then,
>> Scheila Gonzalez proceeded to sing the song.
>
> Did Scheila sing the fall '76 arrangement?
>
>> Finally, a complete concert with Bianca. Yay!
>
> I'm waiting for someone to complain that it's not all previously
> unreleased material.
>
> --Charles

I am wondering if this moved ahead of other potential releases because ZPZ
has Scheila Gonzalez in the current line up.

Charles Ulrich

Nov 20, 2009, 2:44:31 PM11/20/09
In article <he6qk3$q9l$1...@aioe.org>,
"computeruser" <ona...@postmaster.invalid> wrote:

> I am wondering if this moved ahead of other potential releases because ZPZ
> has Scheila Gonzalez in the current line up.

Remember that it ranked fourth in "Top 3 Things On A Future Release" in
the survey back in 1998
<http://members.cox.net/bill_lantz/pages/surveyresults.html>:

> 1. Petit Wazoo concerts (25 people)
> 2. Grand Wazoo concerts (22)
> 3. Spring/Summer 1973 concerts (12 + 4 requesting Sydney '73)
> 4. Bianca 1976 concerts (11)
> 5. Halloween 1978 (10)
> 6. Synclavier material (9)
> 7. Bongo Fury concerts (5)
> Fall 1973 concerts (5)
> Fall 1974 concerts (5)
>10. Ritz 1981 concert (4)
> 1988 concerts (4)
> Guitar solos (4)

Items 1, 2, 5, and 10c have been covered. Plus Australian Yellow Snow
for 3.

I'd say it's just about time for Philly '76.

--Charles

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Nov 21, 2009, 8:53:35 AM11/21/09
On Nov 20, 8:27 am, Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> I'm waiting for someone to complain that it's not all previously
> unreleased material.

I'm hoping Joe's statement that it's a complete concert means they
won't be leaving out the song that was previously released.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

Charles Ulrich

Nov 21, 2009, 11:48:20 AM11/21/09
In article
<aa3f2e06-cf9a-46a6...@d10g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
pbuzb...@yahoo.com wrote:

Yeah, either way, *somebody* is bound to complain...

--Charles

Matti Vuori

Nov 21, 2009, 6:10:48 PM11/21/09
pbuzb...@yahoo.com wrote in news:aa3f2e06-cf9a-46a6-b6d3-
292e27...@d10g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

Do you really mean that they won't be releasing a version that some asshole
bootlegger recorded on his/her cheap tape recorder in a back row seat?

Gary

Nov 24, 2009, 1:22:21 PM11/24/09
On Nov 20, 6:27 am, Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> Did Scheila sing the fall '76 arrangement?

You mean, telling the heckler to have his mom go suck a rat's dick?
(I think that was from Boston).

Mike Espinoza

Nov 25, 2009, 5:15:28 PM11/25/09
On Nov 20, 1:44 pm, Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> I'd say it's just about time for Philly '76.

We have Pre-Order!

http://www.zappa.com/barfkoswill/philly76.html

--
Mike E.

computeruser

Nov 25, 2009, 6:15:51 PM11/25/09
Mike Espinoza wrote...

On Nov 20, Charles Ulrich wrote:

> I'd say it's just about time for Philly '76.

We have Pre-Order!

http://www.zappa.com/barfkoswill/philly76.html

--
Mike E.

Elsewhere in the thread is a set list of a audience boot recording.
====

Intro
Stinkfoot
Dirty Love
Wind Up Workin' In A Gas Station
Tryin' To Grow A Chin
Torture Never Stops
City Of Tiny Lights

You Didn't Try To Call Me

Manx Needs Women
Titties 'n Beer
Black Napkins
Advance Romance
Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?

Rudy Wants To Buy Yez A Drink

Would You Go All The Way

Daddy Daddy Daddy
What Kind Of Girl Do You Think We Are?

Dinah-Moe Humm

Stranded In The Jungle
Find Her Finer
Camarillo Brillo
Muffin Man

===

Any one find the set list for the actual release?

Zut boF

Nov 25, 2009, 6:33:54 PM11/25/09

Kool

mysteryroach

Nov 25, 2009, 10:13:35 PM11/25/09

Got mine! Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me........!

pbuzb...@yahoo.com

Nov 25, 2009, 11:01:36 PM11/25/09
On Nov 25, 5:15 pm, "computeruser" <ona...@postmaster.invalid> wrote:

> Any one find the set list for the actual release?

No, but the preview e-mail alludes to the following song titles:

Stinkfoot
The Torture Never Stops
Black Napkins

Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me

What Kind Of Girl Do You Think We Are?

Stranded In The Jungle

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

computeruser

Nov 26, 2009, 12:32:39 AM11/26/09

<pbuzb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

///***

Previously released from this show was:
Wind Up Workin' In A Gas Station, performed in Philadelphia, October 29,
1976 on You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 6 (1992)

http://www.zappateers.com/fzshows/7677.html

Frank Zappa's Band, October 1976 - February 1977
FZ, Ray White, Patrick O'Hearn, Terry Bozzio, Eddie Jobson, Bianca Thornton
(through November 11).

1976 10 29 - Spectrum Theater, Philadelphia, PA
135 min, Aud, B+/B
120 min, Aud, A-
The better sounding version has some mic drop-outs and cuts in Find Her
Finer.

The Purple Lagoon, Stinkfoot, The Poodle Lecture, Dirty Love, Wind Up
Workin' In A Gas Station, Tryin' To Grow A Chin, The Torture Never Stops,
City Of Tiny Lights (incl. The Sanzini Brothers Piramid Trick), You Didn't
Try To Call Me, Manx Needs Women, Titties 'n Beer, Black Napkins, Advance
Romance, Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?, Rudy Wants To Buy Yez A Drink,
Would You Go All The Way?, Daddy Daddy Daddy, What Kind Of Girl Do You Think
We Are?, Dinah-Moe Humm, The Purple Lagoon, Stranded In The Jungle, Find Her
Finer, Camarillo Brillo, Muffin Man, The Purple Lagoon.

***

Is this version of Torture close to the Zoots version? Does Bianca provide
the yelps?

Besides Wind Up Workin' In A Gas Station, did any solos (whole or in part)
appear elsewhere?

Any brilliant solos from Eddie, Bianca, or Patrick?

The Poodle Lecture, again! Really? Who doesn't consider this a penalty
track? Maybe it will be a hidden bonus track, available by download only,
replaced with an audience recording of a restroom break. I have my fingers
crossed.