Edgar Varese' Sonic Liberation (documentary)

computeruser

Apr 7, 2005, 7:22:28 AM4/7/05
Some here may find this interesting.

~~~

From Ground Control Studios in Philadelphia comes this thorough and
searching documentary about one of America's pioneer radical composers,
Edgar Varese (1883-1965). Interviews with Louise Varese, the composer's wife
and companion from 1917 until his death in 1965, Chou Wen-Chung, the
composer's friend, student and amenuensis, Ann McMillan, tape and
electronics assistant to Varese, and Frank Zappa, aficionado of the late
experimentalist provide a fascinating backdrop to the narrative of Kimberly
Haas, Music Director of WXPN in Philadelphia. The program was written and
produced by John K. Dilberto, music critic for Downbeat and Audio magazines,
and former Program Director of KALX in Berkeley.

Author: Ground Control Studios
Date: February 21st, 1982
Source: Other Minds
Recorded by: WXPN

http://www.archive.org/stream/VareseSonicLiberation

Hoodoo

Apr 7, 2005, 12:49:22 PM4/7/05
computeruser wrote:
> Some here may find this interesting.
> http://www.archive.org/stream/VareseSonicLiberation

I discovered the 'archive' a few months ago and there are many
neat things available there in addition to audio files. Some
classic old cartoons, newsreels, public service and commercials
or advertising films. I like the wacky and quirky films some
folks have created through the use of the many, many public
domain or creative commons films on the site. I only wish I had
high speed capability to download more of what is available
there. I highly recommend that website.

octobercountry

Apr 7, 2005, 7:21:03 PM4/7/05
Thank you so much! I tried repeatedly many years ago to get the
producer to let me buy, trade, or otherwise obtain a copy of this
program. Now, I can download it for free? Woohoo!

John