shot with his own gun

MICHAELO19

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

..in august 1980 i saw elvis at "heatwave" north of toronto..he opened
solo with "shot with his own gun"..does anybody know if i can get an
accapella version of this song...perhaps it's on a bootleg? please e-mail
me or post here for all to see...michael

jerry haussler

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97
to MICHAELO19
Michael:
according the paul hoskens' most excellent discography on the web site,
this tune is *only* available on "heatwave 1980" a similar title from
the same show "canada heatwave" does not include "shot...". the soon
to be updated discography will also indicate that this song can be found
on "elvis costello goes disco" which appears to be a repress of sides 1
& 2 of "heatwave 1980".
want a copy?
best
jerry
bone...@zephyrblau.com

Jeremy Epstein

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

In article <19970204214...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

micha...@aol.com (MICHAELO19) wrote:

> ..in august 1980 i saw elvis at "heatwave" north of toronto..he opened
> solo with "shot with his own gun"..does anybody know if i can get an
> accapella version of this song...perhaps it's on a bootleg? please e-mail
> me or post here for all to see...michael

Whenever I've seen him perform it, it was with piano backup, including the
Heatwave.

Heatwave! Takes me back, that does. I remember the Talking Heads emerging
one by one until they filled the stage - it was the debut of their
polyrhythmic, African-sounding music, "Remain In Light" was about to be
released. And how Elvis had the whole place in the palm of his hand -
when he sang, "You Belong To Me," it was true!

I rode in a crammed car all the way from Brooklyn, NY and back the next
morning (we crashed in the parking lot.) At one point a gap in the crowd
opened and I spotted a buddy of mine who had come from Halifax - I could
see him for a split second, then I had to squeeze through the crowd to
find him.

For those of you too young to have been there (boy, do I feel old!) this
was billed as the "Punk Woodstock." It was held at a racetrack near
Toronto, and the lineup as I remember it was : The Rumour (without Graham
Parker), Rockpile, Holly and The Italians, Pretenders, B-52's, Talking
Heads, Elvis Costello. I think I'm forgetting somebody . . . Both The
Clash and The Ramones were rumored to be on the bill until the last
minute, but they didn't play. The Rumour and Rockpile delivered solid
sets while people started waking up, The Pretenders were great, the
B-52's were lots of fun, Talking Heads were spectacular, and Elvis was
even better than that! At least, that's how I remember it sixteen years
later . . . .

-j

MICHAELO19

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

...hey! ...yes we ARE getting old..(sad grin here)...but we did have fun
didn't we?...the band you forgot was a local(toronto) band called
"teenagae head"...holly and the italians were (i think) soixie and the
banshees (spelling)...yes the talking heads were the stars of the
show...even though i am a huge e.c. fan...i'm 43 but still listen to a ton
of music all-the-time....did yoou ever get to see the clash?...i did
(combat rock tour), with black uhuru as the warm-up band...excellent!...be
well...M

Message has been deleted

John Olsen

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Saw the Clash on the "I am so bored with the USA" tour with Bo Diddley
opening. A great show from the band the was supposed to become the next
Rolling Stones.

In article <19970205215...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,