Heatwave Festival 1980

DemonJohn

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
Did anyone else attend this concert outside of Toronto
in 1980? It was headlined by Elvis Costello and also
featured the B-52's, Talking Heads, Pretenders and
Rockpile. I made a great bootleg, but sadly lost it
some time ago. I was eighteen and drove all the way
from Milwaukee with a couple of buddies. We went to
buy beer in the town near Mosport racetrack, where it
was held and actually saw Elvis in the parking lot there.

Jeremy Epstein

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
In article <6o22u2$7k4$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

DemonJohn <dem...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Did anyone else attend this concert outside of Toronto
> in 1980?

Yup. Me, Jimmy Remini, Stickman, his girlfriend, and Remini's little sister.
Packed into one car, NY -> Toronto round trip, Remini's sister acting like a
total brat the whole way back. It was worth it, though! Hell of a show. My
first EC concert.

> It was headlined by Elvis Costello and also
> featured the B-52's, Talking Heads, Pretenders and
> Rockpile.

The Rumour (ex-Graham Parker) too, and the ever-popular Holly And The
Italians.

Some indelible memories :

We arrived in the morning before the show started, and we were in the process
of spreading out our ground cover (a US flag and a NY State flag, both stolen
from the building where Remini and Stickman were working as elevator
operators) when what comes over the sound system but "I'm So Bored With The
USA."

At one point in the afternoon it was as if the sea of people parted, and I
could see down an alley of bodies about 100 feet. I spotted my Canadian
friend Gordon, in his unmistakable orange dashiki and orange hair. The alley
closed just as fast as it had opened and he disappeared, but I was able to go
get him. I had no idea he was even going to be there.

Talking Heads hit the stage around sundown. They added members for each of
the first few songs, until gradually they had a pretty big band up there,
Adrian Belew (guitar), Busta Jones (bass), Steve Scales (percussion), Dolette
McDonald, Nona Hendryx (both on vocals), and Bernie Worrell (keys). They were
premiering the material from the about-to-be-released Remain In Light album,
their first African-influenced music. It was a big surprise, and it rocked
the house like thunder. By the time darkness fell, it was a pretty dramatic
groove thang happening.

Elvis closed the day, and he was fantastic. He came out and sang "Shot With
His Own Gun," accompanied by just Steve on piano, and then the band launched
into a powerful set. I remember thinking as he sang "You Belong To Me," "We
sure do."

> We went to
> buy beer in the town near Mosport racetrack, where it
> was held and actually saw Elvis in the parking lot there.

Cool!

Thanks for reminding me of a great day. Certainly the best bill I've ever
seen.

-j

MICHAELO19

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
I was there also...He opened with SHOT WITH HIS OWN GUN--the crowd was
silent!....I would truley love to aquire acopy of this concert...m.e.

K.S.

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
In article <199807091540...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
micha...@aol.com (MICHAELO19) wrote:

> I was there also...He opened with SHOT WITH HIS OWN GUN--the crowd was
> silent!....I would truley love to aquire acopy of this concert...m.e.

I wasn't there, but I've heard the tape. The great thing about his opening
with Shot With His Own Gun is that as soon as he finishes, EC announces
"Hi, we're the Clash."

DemonJohn

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
In article <6o2rcs$g5c$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
Jeremy Epstein <7066...@compuserve.com> wrote:

> Talking Heads hit the stage around sundown...

> By the time darkness fell, it was a pretty dramatic
> groove thang happening.

Being paranoid youngsters in a foreign country, we neglected
to bring any weed to the show. However, just as the Talking
Heads took the stage, some very cool Canadians we met passed
around a huge spliff. I'll never forget *that* combination --
It was pure magic!

> Thanks for reminding me of a great day. Certainly the best bill I've ever
> seen.

I've still got a poster from the show. But I wish I could find
that tape. How about a Heatwave II ? We can dream can't we...

Jeremy Epstein

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
In article
<htwtstuf-090...@pool018-max3.ds22-ca-us.dialup.earthlink.net>,

Right up until showtime there were rumors that the Clash or, failing that, the
Ramones would be added to the bill.

-j

Big Boy

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
This Heatwave Bootleg is very very good...though I have a bad vinyl copy
and shot with his own gun is almost too bad to listen too (not Elvis'
fault but the recording) it must have been a religeous experience live.
One of my favorite boots!