Dune Encyclopedia reprint?? No? Yes?

Dennis Duro

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00
Ok...this has probably been asked nth times, but I just gotta know if
there's a possibility of a reprint of the Dune Encyclopedia.
I've seen a smattering of information of the web about this great tomb of
work, and a few petitions for reprints as well, but nothing solid. Can
anyone suggest some further reading on the subject?
Personally, I can't understand where there isn't a push for a reprint of
this book with the prequels out and the new mini-series airing. Perhaps
its time for a concerted effort to get a reprint going. Sound good
anyone?

Samuel Sands

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00

Niall Young wrote:

> And if not, maybe Dr McNelly and his publisher wouldn't be too afraid
> of opening it up for the community and allowing fans to transcribe and
> distribute it on the Net?

Maybe you'll open her underwear drawer up for the community. Oh sure, it's
your personal property, but I'm sure there's some interest in it. We won't
share any embarrassing or proprietary information. Trust us. :^)

Sam (Darn, Dude...What's with all the skid marks?) Sands

> --
> ni...@holbytla.org

Niall Young

Nov 28, 2000, 11:39:19 PM11/28/00
Dennis Duro wrote:

> Ok...this has probably been asked nth times, but I just gotta know if
> there's a possibility of a reprint of the Dune Encyclopedia.
> I've seen a smattering of information of the web about this great tomb of
> work, and a few petitions for reprints as well, but nothing solid. Can
> anyone suggest some further reading on the subject?
> Personally, I can't understand where there isn't a push for a reprint of
> this book with the prequels out and the new mini-series airing. Perhaps
> its time for a concerted effort to get a reprint going. Sound good
> anyone?

And if not, maybe Dr McNelly and his publisher wouldn't be too afraid
of opening it up for the community and allowing fans to transcribe and
distribute it on the Net?

--
ni...@holbytla.org

Met K.

Nov 28, 2000, 11:46:25 PM11/28/00
>Ok...this has probably been asked nth times, but I just gotta know if
>there's a possibility of a reprint of the Dune Encyclopedia.
>I've seen a smattering of information of the web about this great tomb of
>work, and a few petitions for reprints as well, but nothing solid. Can
>anyone suggest some further reading on the subject?
>Personally, I can't understand where there isn't a push for a reprint of
>this book with the prequels out and the new mini-series airing. Perhaps
>its time for a concerted effort to get a reprint going. Sound good
>anyone?

It won't be reprinted because the Correctness Challenged Duo (I love
that!) can't stand to know half as much as someone and one of them be
Frank's own kids.

It says on the DuneNovels.com website that they won't be reprinted,
but who knows, might be.

Just what I know so far, one of the regulars here probably know more,
I'm just a lurker. ;)

Samuel Sands

Nov 29, 2000, 12:08:44 AM11/29/00

Niall Young wrote:

Maybe you'll open your underwear drawer up for the community. Oh sure, it's

M. Marston

Nov 29, 2000, 12:32:36 AM11/29/00
>Subject: Re: Dune Encyclopedia reprint?? No? Yes?
>From: Samuel Sands ssa...@bellsouth.net

>Niall Young wrote:

<snip>

>> And if not, maybe Dr McNelly and his publisher wouldn't be too afraid
>> of opening it up for the community and allowing fans to transcribe and
>> distribute it on the Net?

This "debate" over the net transcription of the D.E. was going through its
death throes when I first came back and crops up here from time to time. But
the discussion has only nominal Dune-related merit and belongs on some other
newsgroup that deals more with copyright issues.

Dr. McNelly has read, and maybe still reads, the newsgroup and knows about this
push to put the Encyclopedia on the net. I am sure if anything changes
regarding this issue Dr. McNelly will let us know. But I wouldn't hold your
breath.

Regards,

M. Marston

Niall Young

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00
"M. Marston" wrote:

> >Niall Young wrote:
>
> >> And if not, maybe Dr McNelly and his publisher wouldn't be too afraid
> >> of opening it up for the community and allowing fans to transcribe and
> >> distribute it on the Net?
>
> This "debate" over the net transcription of the D.E. was going through its
> death throes when I first came back and crops up here from time to time.
> But the discussion has only nominal Dune-related merit and belongs on some
> other newsgroup that deals more with copyright issues.

Fair enough, I was never here for previous "debate"s, it was a genuine
suggestion.

> Dr. McNelly has read, and maybe still reads, the newsgroup and knows about
> this push to put the Encyclopedia on the net. I am sure if anything changes
> regarding this issue Dr. McNelly will let us know. But I wouldn't hold your
> breath.

Well in the end it comes down to this - is there any financial gain to be
had from reprinting it. If yes, reprint, if no (in my opinion) it should
be donated to the public domain. It's too rare a work to just disappear
into obscurity.

I neither own nor have seen the DE, hence my interest. If I did own it,
I would personally transcribe it, amongst other works, for my own fair-use
to aid in quote-searching and indexing. Being able to grep for every
instance of "sandworm" for instance ;-) would be extremely useful. The
logical extension to this would be a markup language to delineate the
narrator and different characters and text-to-speech synthesis (with
author's speech patterns as plugins), but I digress..

--
ni...@holbytla.org

--
ni...@holbytla.org

M. Marston

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00
>Subject: Re: Dune Encyclopedia reprint?? No? Yes?
>From: Niall Young ni...@holbytla.org
>Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:05:43

Niall,

Some comments below.

>> This "debate" over the net transcription of the D.E. was going through its
>> death throes when I first came back and crops up here from time to time.
>> But the discussion has only nominal Dune-related merit and belongs on some
>> other newsgroup that deals more with copyright issues.
>
>Fair enough, I was never here for previous "debate"s, it was a genuine
>suggestion.

I understand and no malice was intended. I just wished to stop this before it
got out of hand. Previous debates over this issue have broken down and become
bloody. That is people will come up and say they are going to put the DE online
and then people will defend against and so on. And as I said, it can get pretty
ugly.

>> Dr. McNelly has read, and maybe still reads, the newsgroup and knows about
>> this push to put the Encyclopedia on the net. I am sure if anything changes
>> regarding this issue Dr. McNelly will let us know. But I wouldn't hold your
>> breath.
>
>Well in the end it comes down to this - is there any financial gain to be
>had from reprinting it. If yes, reprint, if no (in my opinion) it should
>be donated to the public domain. It's too rare a work to just disappear
>into obscurity.

You are entitled to your opinion, but just because you believe it should be
made public domain, should it not be reprinted, does not give you the right to
take matters into your own hands. I am not up on the push to reprint the Dune
Encyclopedia but, considering the new Dune popularity, there is a good chance
that it will be reprinted.

>I neither own nor have seen the DE, hence my interest. If I did own it,
>I would personally transcribe it, amongst other works, for my own fair-use
>to aid in quote-searching and indexing. Being able to grep for every
>instance of "sandworm" for instance ;-) would be extremely useful. The
>logical extension to this would be a markup language to delineate the
>narrator and different characters and text-to-speech synthesis (with
>author's speech patterns as plugins), but I digress..
>
>--
>ni...@holbytla.org

I have my notes on the Dune Chronicles in the margins of some of my paperbacks
and on 4 different computers. ; )

But your ideas regarding note taking are very interesting. I would be
interested in learning more about the feasibilty and cost of setting up such as
system.

Regards,

M. Marston

Gunnar Harboe

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00
Dear Niall, Dennis Duro,

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:39:19 +0800, Niall Young <ni...@holbytla.org>
wrote:

>Dennis Duro wrote:
>>
>> Ok...this has probably been asked nth times, but I just gotta know if
>> there's a possibility of a reprint of the Dune Encyclopedia.

Dr McNelly and his agents have been trying to get the DE back in print
for several years. There were some points where hopes were high, but as
of now it seems unlikely to happen.

>> I've seen a smattering of information of the web about this great tomb of
>> work, and a few petitions for reprints as well, but nothing solid. Can
>> anyone suggest some further reading on the subject?

The book itself. :-)

>> Personally, I can't understand where there isn't a push for a reprint of
>> this book with the prequels out and the new mini-series airing. Perhaps
>> its time for a concerted effort to get a reprint going. Sound good
>> anyone?
>
>And if not, maybe Dr McNelly and his publisher wouldn't be too afraid
>of opening it up for the community and allowing fans to transcribe and
>distribute it on the Net?

Dr McNelly has stated that he does not wish this to be done. As he has
the copyright, it's his decision. You may not agree, but I trust you
will comply.

Bye!
Gunnar Harboe
gh...@cam.ac.uk
___
There should be a word-tension for "fated," conveying
a meaning opposite from a thing destined to be. There
should also be a garnish-tension for "parsley,"
denoting the opposite of the leafy herb. Oh, we speak
in daily discourse of "anti-parsley," but that is
another thing entire. What the word for a thing is
can consequent much.
- from "Mauve'Bib Has Ideas and Speaks Them,"
edited by the Princess Serutan

John Kenny

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00

"Niall Young" <ni...@holbytla.org> wrote in message

> > This "debate" over the net transcription of the D.E. was going through
its
> > death throes when I first came back and crops up here from time to time.
> > But the discussion has only nominal Dune-related merit and belongs on
some
> > other newsgroup that deals more with copyright issues.
>
> Fair enough, I was never here for previous "debate"s, it was a genuine
> suggestion.
>
> > Dr. McNelly has read, and maybe still reads, the newsgroup and knows
about
> > this push to put the Encyclopedia on the net. I am sure if anything
changes
> > regarding this issue Dr. McNelly will let us know. But I wouldn't hold
your
> > breath.
>
> Well in the end it comes down to this - is there any financial gain to be
> had from reprinting it. If yes, reprint, if no (in my opinion) it should
> be donated to the public domain. It's too rare a work to just disappear
> into obscurity.
>
> I neither own nor have seen the DE, hence my interest. If I did own it,
> I would personally transcribe it, amongst other works, for my own fair-use
> to aid in quote-searching and indexing. Being able to grep for every
> instance of "sandworm" for instance ;-) would be extremely useful. The
> logical extension to this would be a markup language to delineate the
> narrator and different characters and text-to-speech synthesis (with
> author's speech patterns as plugins), but I digress..
>
> --
> ni...@holbytla.org
>
> --
> ni...@holbytla.org

Dear Niall,

Don't beat yourself up too badly. It's just that this subject comes up every
three to six months. Those of us -- that most certainly includes me -- who
believe that copyright laws, despite a number of flaws, should be obeyed. As
Marston pointed out the topic can quickly turn bloody.

Dr. McNelly continues his efforts to have the book re-issued. The most
recent attempt was with Easton Press. Sadly, so far, no publisher is willing
to bite on the idea. Further, it seems based on the original publication,
that permission to reprint would require the consent of the Herbert family.
And I'll bet you a nickel to a long ton of Melange that will NEVER happen.

As to opening it up to public domain... well, I'll forward your message to
Willis and see if he would like to comment directly. However, based on
conversations we've had I can assure everyone this will never happen. As for
the book slipping into obscurity, nothing could be further from the truth.
It is readily available on eBay and abebooks.com. The exorbitant prices
people are asking only proves the book has now become a highly-prized
collectible.

--
Best regards,
John

This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's
side. I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have little else
to sustain them. Humoring them costs nothing and adds to happiness in a
world in which happiness is always in short supply.
--- Robert Heinlein

Dennis Duro

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00
"John Kenny" <jke...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Dr. McNelly continues his efforts to have the book re->issued. The most

> recent attempt was with Easton Press. Sadly, so far, no >publisher is
willing
> to bite on the idea. Further, it seems based on the >original
publication,
> that permission to reprint would require the consent of >the Herbert
family.
> And I'll bet you a nickel to a long ton of Melange that >will NEVER
happen.

Any ideas as to why this last line is so? There must be something more to
this story than I'm getting here in this thread (hence the request for
more info on the subject). I just can't accept the fact that a reprint of
the DE novel would be unprofitable. I for one would gladly shell out a
reasonable amount for a reprint of this great background material, and I'm
betting that many who will watch the mini-series, and/or have recently
read the prequels and/or other 6 books would too! Its akin to reading the
LOTR without having any of the appendices to refer to, and for me that
was half the coolness of LOTR in the first place!

John Kenny

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00

"Dennis Duro" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

Dear Dennis,

There is so much history I'd like to tell, but I'm stuck in a situation
wherein I need to keep my mouth shut. Suffice it to say, the Herbert family
will never allow the republication of the DE. It isn't so much that a
re-print of the DE would be unprofitable; it really is ALL about *control*
of the future of the Duniverse: Certain people want to decide what we shall
see, read, and think in this new age of the Chronicles -- that being HA, HH,
and HC. For what it is worth, I prefer the original to the recent fakes.

Dennis Duro

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00

> re-print of the DE would be unprofitable; it really is ALL >about
*control*
> of the future of the Duniverse: Certain people want to >decide what we
shall
> see, read, and think in this new age of the Chronicles -- >that being
HA, HH,
> and HC. For what it is worth, I prefer the original to the >recent
fakes.

Ahhhh....it's just as i thought, and ironic too! However, its a shame
that the Machevelian drama i enjoyed so much in the first Dune book is now
(I'm guessing by your comments) spilling into the actual control of
material. Hmmm....how Bene Gesserit-like don't you think?
If what's stopping the reprint is some sort of petty squabble over
control, or even worse, the deliberate covering up for
difficiencies/contradictions that might be raised in newer material, then
it is indeed a sad day. Furthermore, if your claims of "certain people"
wanting to *control* the material are founded, then the action is even
more of an affront to the many admirers of Dune who wish to read something
that was *fully* endorsed by the man who created the original book to
begin with. A sad day indeed if what you say is true.
I now understand how my orignal post so quickly degraded into talk about
copyright infringement. If only I knew what you were reluctant to spill
the beans on.....we can all only guess. IRC chat this weekend about this
topic anyone?

Niall Young

Nov 29, 2000, 10:40:13 PM11/29/00
"M. Marston" wrote:

> Previous debates over this issue have broken down and become
> bloody. That is people will come up and say they are going to put the DE
> online and then people will defend against and so on. And as I said, it can
> get pretty ugly.

In the end though, you can't stop them. If they want to break the law,
that's their choice - whether you disagree with them or not. If someone
wants to do this, they will do it. But yes, this is verging too deeply into
a debate over copyright now :-)

> >Well in the end it comes down to this - is there any financial gain to be
> >had from reprinting it. If yes, reprint, if no (in my opinion) it should
> >be donated to the public domain. It's too rare a work to just disappear
> >into obscurity.
>

> You are entitled to your opinion, but just because you believe it should be
> made public domain, should it not be reprinted, does not give you the right
> to take matters into your own hands.

I never suggested I'd take this matter into my own hands, nor did I claim
any right to do so!

> considering the new Dune popularity, there is a good chance
> that it will be reprinted.

I hope so.

> >I neither own nor have seen the DE, hence my interest. If I did own it,
> >I would personally transcribe it, amongst other works, for my own fair-use
> >to aid in quote-searching and indexing. Being able to grep for every
> >instance of "sandworm" for instance ;-) would be extremely useful.
>

> I have my notes on the Dune Chronicles in the margins of some of my
> paperbacks and on 4 different computers. ; )

I haven't made extensive notes yet, saving that for my next reading, but
I will never be storing them in a non-digital form - it would be a waste
of effort. I'd much rather have a master copy from which I can convert to
dvi/ps/pdf/txt and print as required.

> But your ideas regarding note taking are very interesting. I would be
> interested in learning more about the feasibilty and cost of setting up
> such as system.

The only cost is the time taken to transcribe it. Grep and other utilities
are freely available under the GPL, not sure if there are Win32 equivalents.

In the interests of analysing and quoting the Dune Chronicles accurately,
there does seem to be a good argument for a) a definitive edition;
b) paragraph/sentence numbering; or c) a standard digital version with
search/indexing features.

I'm all for c), but I have no intention of breaking the law or allowing
anything that I may transcribe to be distributed. That's why I use
and encourage encryption.

--
ni...@holbytla.org

Niall Young

Nov 29, 2000, 11:00:36 PM11/29/00
John Kenny wrote:

> "Niall Young" <ni...@holbytla.org> wrote in message
> >
> > Fair enough, I was never here for previous "debate"s, it was a genuine
> > suggestion.
>
> Don't beat yourself up too badly.

Err, ok. (?) :-)

> Sadly, so far, no publisher is willing to bite on the idea.

Hopefully this will change as the Dune Chronicles increase in popularity
over the next few years.

> Further, it seems based on the original publication, that permission to
> reprint would require the consent of the Herbert family. And I'll bet you a
> nickel to a long ton of Melange that will NEVER happen.

I believe if it was badged "The Unofficial.." there is nothing they could do.
They'd be fools not to endorse it though, it certainly seems like Dune is
being turned into an open world for authors ala Star Wars, and it will only
encourage their own profit.

> As to opening it up to public domain... well, I'll forward your message to
> Willis and see if he would like to comment directly. However, based on
> conversations we've had I can assure everyone this will never happen.

If no-one will publish it, and there is no further commercial gain to be
had from the work, Dr McNelly should *seriously* consider donating it to
the community. If no-one can read it, what was the point in writing it?

> As for the book slipping into obscurity, nothing could be further from the
> truth.

I honestly hope you're right, but I fear otherwise:

> It is readily available on eBay and abebooks.com. The exorbitant prices
> people are asking only proves the book has now become a highly-prized
> collectible.

Exorbitant prices are fine for collectors, the price reflects the value
of the work in the collector's eyes, but for the majority of consumers it
is simply *no longer available*...

I am not suggesting that copyright laws should be ignored, nor Dr McNelly's
efforts not to be repaid - I just believe that the work should be made
available to the community in whatever form is possible, commercial or
otherwise. Hell, I'd start a petition but until the miniseries has done
the rounds there's not much point. How about we all offer Dr McNelly some
community based funding to get it re-published? Has anyone suggested that
he open a dialogue with the Herbert Limited Partnership or the RPG sourcebook
writers/Wizards of the Coast etc.?

--
ni...@holbytla.org

Niall Young

Nov 29, 2000, 11:08:18 PM11/29/00
Gunnar Harboe wrote:

> >And if not, maybe Dr McNelly and his publisher wouldn't be too afraid
> >of opening it up for the community and allowing fans to transcribe and
> >distribute it on the Net?
>
> Dr McNelly has stated that he does not wish this to be done. As he has
> the copyright, it's his decision. You may not agree, but I trust you
> will comply.

Personally, yes - I respect and obey copyright laws and I would never
knowingly distribute or allow to be distributed any copyrighted work.

If I had a digital copy, I would purchase a reprint without hesitation -
I've already paid for far more copies of the Dune Chronicles than most
people would ever buy in a lifetime. I'm a collector, I like owning
and reading quality-made books, but I also recognise the enormous potential
of decentralised distribution for the good of humanity. If a book is
not available to the public, they cannot read it.

--
ni...@holbytla.org

Willis E. McNelly

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
In article <3A24C6E7...@holbytla.org>, Niall Young
<ni...@holbytla.org> wrote:

> > This "debate" over the net transcription of the D.E. was going through its
> > death throes when I first came back and crops up here from time to time.
> > But the discussion has only nominal Dune-related merit and belongs on some
> > other newsgroup that deals more with copyright issues.
>

> Fair enough, I was never here for previous "debate"s, it was a genuine
> suggestion.
>

> > Dr. McNelly has read, and maybe still reads, the newsgroup and knows about
> > this push to put the Encyclopedia on the net. I am sure if anything changes
> > regarding this issue Dr. McNelly will let us know. But I wouldn't hold your
> > breath.
>

> Well in the end it comes down to this - is there any financial gain to be
> had from reprinting it. If yes, reprint, if no (in my opinion) it should
> be donated to the public domain. It's too rare a work to just disappear
> into obscurity.
>

> I neither own nor have seen the DE, hence my interest. If I did own it,
> I would personally transcribe it, amongst other works, for my own fair-use
> to aid in quote-searching and indexing. Being able to grep for every

> instance of "sandworm" for instance ;-) would be extremely useful. The
> logical extension to this would be a markup language to delineate the
> narrator and different characters and text-to-speech synthesis (with
> author's speech patterns as plugins), but I digress..
>
> --
> ni...@holbytla.org
>
> --
> ni...@holbytla.org

Yes I do read the news group regularly. So you can now exhale.

Odd as it sounds, I am not repeat NOT interested in any financial gain
from reprinting the DE. I would like to see it in print again because I am
proud of the work done by my many contributors to the volume as well as of
the vast amount of material it adds to the Arrakeen saga. Should it come
out in, say, a Japanese edition, I would of course be delighted for any
royalties, but that is not even a remote possibility, so I do not even
think about it.

Yet I cannot and will not, even if I wished to do so, grant permission for
anyone to post any and/or all of the book on the net. The basic copyright
for all Dune related materials is owned by the Herbert Estate, now the
Herbert Limited Trust as I recall. When the DE was being considered,
Berkley/Putnam paid FH a four figure sum for the rights to use the
materials of the first four books in the DE. The DE was copyrighted, as
is required by law, in my name, and while a considerable amount of
material was "new" in the DE (stories about all of the art, poetry, drama
and so on of the Imperium, to name only a few examples) the FH estate
still owns the basic copyright and safeguards it zealously - as would
anyone presiding over a virtual cash cow. I may "own" the copyright to
the new material, but even that is problematic and debatable, under the
principles of secondary copyright, because the new material would not have
been copyrighted but for the prior Dune material.

This I cannot, ethically, legally, or morally or even practically permit
anyone to use anything from the DE unless prior permission is granted by
the FH estate. And that is as likely as finding open water on Arrakis.

And I strongly - VERY strongly - suggest that you do not risk the wrath
of FH's attorneys in using any of this material in a way not permitted by
the current copyright laws. Frankly, I know of no one in the a.f.d. group
who has the money to defend him/her self against a lawsuit. I know
whereof I speak.

"I am constantly amazed at the infinite capacity of the human mind to
withstand the introduction of knowledge." Woodrow Wilson

Niall Young

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
"Willis E. McNelly" wrote:

> materials of the first four books in the DE. The DE was copyrighted, as
> is required by law, in my name, and while a considerable amount of
> material was "new" in the DE (stories about all of the art, poetry, drama
> and so on of the Imperium, to name only a few examples) the FH estate
> still owns the basic copyright and safeguards it zealously - as would
> anyone presiding over a virtual cash cow. I may "own" the copyright to
> the new material, but even that is problematic and debatable, under the
> principles of secondary copyright, because the new material would not have
> been copyrighted but for the prior Dune material.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying that Willis. How frustrating. If the Herbert
Limited Partnership are so caught up with profit and protecting the
copyrights and Intellectual Property which they have *acquired*, and are
unable to recognise the real (commercial and moral/community) benefits, so
be it.

--
ni...@holbytla.org

Michael

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
>Subject: Re: Dune Encyclopedia reprint?? No? Yes?
>From: wmcn...@fullerton.edu (Willis E. McNelly)
>Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 11:56:03

>> > Dr. McNelly has read, and maybe still reads, the newsgroup and knows
>about
>> > this push to put the Encyclopedia on the net. I am sure if anything
>changes
>> > regarding this issue Dr. McNelly will let us know. But I wouldn't hold
>your
>> > breath.

<snip>

>Yes I do read the news group regularly. So you can now exhale.

Dr. McNelly,

When I wrote "I wouldn't hold your breath" I was referring to the status of the
issue changing. But it is good to see you still read the newsgroup. I'll look
forward to any future additions you can provide on Frank Herbert and Dune.

Regards,

Michael

ssds@sdsd

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
i have a copy of the encyclopedia and i can tell you one thing....it differs
quite heavily from what is printed in the 2 prequells.

mark

> > This "debate" over the net transcription of the D.E. was going through
its
> > death throes when I first came back and crops up here from time to time.
> > But the discussion has only nominal Dune-related merit and belongs on
some
> > other newsgroup that deals more with copyright issues.
>

> Fair enough, I was never here for previous "debate"s, it was a genuine
> suggestion.
>

> > Dr. McNelly has read, and maybe still reads, the newsgroup and knows
about
> > this push to put the Encyclopedia on the net. I am sure if anything
changes
> > regarding this issue Dr. McNelly will let us know. But I wouldn't hold
your
> > breath.
>

> Well in the end it comes down to this - is there any financial gain to be
> had from reprinting it. If yes, reprint, if no (in my opinion) it should
> be donated to the public domain. It's too rare a work to just disappear
> into obscurity.
>
> I neither own nor have seen the DE, hence my interest. If I did own it,
> I would personally transcribe it, amongst other works, for my own fair-use
> to aid in quote-searching and indexing. Being able to grep for every
> instance of "sandworm" for instance ;-) would be extremely useful. The
> logical extension to this would be a markup language to delineate the
> narrator and different characters and text-to-speech synthesis (with
> author's speech patterns as plugins), but I digress..
>
> --
> ni...@holbytla.org
>
> --
> ni...@holbytla.org

Keith Falkner

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00

Willis E. McNelly, the Absolute Sweetheart of the known Universe wrote:

>Frankly, I know of no one in the a.f.d. group who has the money to defend

him/her self against a lawsuit...

Hmmmmmmm. This may be a job for................The Old Crone.

Willis, you wrote quite a quantity of the material in DE. Did you not just
sign for first rights and keep reprint rights for yourself?

Crone Elizabeth

PS. I don't get mad, I get even. Remember, I have buried four husbands and
NOT been convicted of anything...yet...