Star Wars just a Dune rip off?

attack_of_the_guilts

Jan 4, 2002, 4:02:20 AM1/4/02
Today at work we were having a bit of a chat, me being a Dune fan my mate
being a Star Wars fan. Well during the discussion we started to notice some
"correlations" between Dune & the Star Wars series.......we came to the
conclusion that Star Wars is just a Dune rip off!
You want proof !?
Dune (1957) Star Wars
(1977)

Bene Gesserit - mysterious religious order Jedi Knights

BG wear floor-length hooded cloaks Jedi Knights

Different BG have different skills, teachers, Jedi
Knights

Medics, historians, etc

BG Reverend Mother School Jedi Temple

BG "Voice" - control over the weak minded Jedi mind trick

BG ""Litany against Fear"
Yoda's speech about fear and the dark side

BG Prana-Bindu exercises Yoda's
physical training regime

Arrakis - Desert planet where story begins Tatooine

Wind Traps and Dew Collectors Moisture
Farms

Sand Worms - huge worms that eat people Sarlacc

Paul Atreides - Boy hero who gains special powers Luke Skywalker

Baron Harkonnen - bad guy with mechanical implants Darth Vader

to survive

Paul's father killed by Baron Harkonnen Luke's father
"killed" by Vader

Paul turns out to be Baron Harkonnen's grandson !!! Luke and Vader
surprise relationship

Alia - Paul's sister also gains special powers Princess
Leia

Fremen - hardy desert dwellers who kill outsiders Tatooine Sand
People

Paul leads Fremen forces against Galactic Emperor Luke leads Rebel
Alliance against Emperor

Sardaukar - Emperor's army, feared across the Galaxy Storm troopers -
Emperor's army, feared across the Galaxy

Slig - Cow-sized animal, cross between a Jabba the Hutt

slug and a pig

Tleilaxu axlotl tanks for growing human tissue Bacta Tanks

Gholas
Clones

Duncan Idaho - trusted weapons master Hans Solo -
pretty handy with a blaster

Thufir - teacher/mentor to Paul
Obiwan - teacher/mentor to Luke

Ornithopter - transport on desert planet Land
speeder - transport on desert planet

Crysknife - noble weapon Light
sabre - noble weapon

......think about it!

George Lucas....possibly the worlds greatest plagiarist!

spauldingae

Jan 4, 2002, 5:21:07 AM1/4/02

"attack_of_the_guilts" <attack_of_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Today at work we were having a bit of a chat, me being a Dune fan my mate
> being a Star Wars fan. Well during the discussion we started to notice
some
> "correlations" between Dune & the Star Wars series.......we came to the
> conclusion that Star Wars is just a Dune rip off!

Actually, Star Wars ripped quite a bit off LOTR as well. I think that Lucas
owes both the Tolkien and Herbert Estates a lot of money.

> You want proof !?
> Dune (1957) Star Wars
> (1977)

<snip>

> > BG "Voice" - control over the weak minded Jedi mind
trick

This is one of the most obvious one.
<snip>

> Baron Harkonnen - bad guy with mechanical implants Darth Vader
>
> to survive

Darth vader(or the Emporor) could also be Sauron

<snip>

> Gholas
> Clones

I thought Gholas were clones(with the ability to recover memory).

And I don't know if Dune was the first story to use clones. Give this a
maybe.

> Duncan Idaho - trusted weapons master Hans Solo -
> pretty handy with a blaster
>

> Thufir - teacher/mentor to Paul
> Obiwan - teacher/mentor to Luke

Obi-wan could also equal Gandalf. Both of whom "die", saving the rest of the
good guys, before the eyes of the hero, who is powerless to stop it. Both
return in part 2 of the trilogy(and yes, I realize that LOTR was written as
one big story. I'm using the trilogy for comparison).

Coincidence? I doubt it. I don't remember if frodo was screaming like luke
was, but the rest is pretty close nonetheless.

> Ornithopter - transport on desert planet Land
> speeder - transport on desert planet

This is kind of a stretch. Ones a floating car while the other is an
aircraft. I don't think I'll give you this, as there is not enough of a
connection other then the desert planet bit.

> Crysknife - noble weapon Light
> sabre - noble weapon

Light sabers also reminded me of Sting- Frodo's special sword that glowed.

There are several differences, actually. Crysknife fights were usally to the
death. There is no dishonor in killing an opponent without his/her weapon
once the fight has begun. Lightsaber fights usally invovle that to be
honorable, one cannot kill an enemy who has not drawn his weapon or has
dropped it(even if they intend to pick it back up very soon and chop your
head off with it). Also, lightsaber fights can be fought just to spar.
Another issue is that when a fremen draws his knife, he doesn't put it back
until there is blood on it, showing how serious it is to draw the knife in
the first place. When a jedi draws his saber, he can just as easily put it
back.

Also,

Force grants special powers=Spice grants special powers. Niether can really
be explained, and both help push the story.

> ......think about it!
>
> George Lucas....possibly the worlds greatest plagiarist!

You gotta admire how well he did it though.

Steal a bit from Lord of the Rings, Steal a bit from Dune, Rip some
characters from a japanese film called Hidden Fortress, and steal the space
battles from any number of WW2 films. Repackage it and make millions off of
it, with most of the public being none the wiser.

baz

Jan 4, 2002, 6:57:07 AM1/4/02
there is a basic list of charactoristics that is present in most
adventure/hero genre.

"spauldingae" <spaul...@home.com> wrote in message

Hardy Hestert

Jan 4, 2002, 7:36:51 AM1/4/02
We know that Lucas ripped off Dune, LotR, Kurosawa... I just found a
nice site about that

http://www.jitterbug.com/origins/

The Arctic Moose

Jan 4, 2002, 8:01:36 AM1/4/02
Whilst i was grazing on the tundra of the arctic, attack_of_the_guilts
said to me in a vision...

> Today at work we were having a bit of a chat, me being a Dune fan my mate
> being a Star Wars fan. Well during the discussion we started to notice some
> "correlations" between Dune & the Star Wars series.......we came to the
> conclusion that Star Wars is just a Dune rip off!
> You want proof !?
> Dune (1957) Star Wars
> (1977)
>

> Bene Gesserit - mysterious religious order Jedi Knights
>

> BG wear floor-length hooded cloaks Jedi Knights

Monks, they've been around quite a while too, plus they're a religious
order

--
The Arctic Moose

Snootchie Boochie Noochies! - Jay

The Arctic Moose

Jan 4, 2002, 8:02:37 AM1/4/02
Whilst i was grazing on the tundra of the arctic, baz said to me in a
vision...

> > Coincidence? I doubt it. I don't remember if frodo was screaming like luke
> > was, but the rest is pretty close nonetheless.

He was in the film

Carlos cmsahe

Jan 4, 2002, 9:29:54 AM1/4/02

Alnitak

Jan 4, 2002, 9:55:14 AM1/4/02
"attack_of_the_guilts" <attack_of_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Today at work we were having a bit of a chat, me being a Dune fan my mate
> being a Star Wars fan. Well during the discussion we started to notice
some
> "correlations" between Dune & the Star Wars series.......we came to the
> conclusion that Star Wars is just a Dune rip off!

Well, not exactly an original thought.

However, STAR WARS owes more to the Kurosawa film THE HIDDEN FORTRESS
(Japanese Samurai film) and LORD OF THE RINGS then it does to DUNE.

The simple answer is, George Lucas borrowed elements from a lot of things
for STAR WARS. Including a Nazi propaganda film. Yes, it's true. But
hey, Shakespeare borrowed elements from previous stories for his plays.
That doesn't make HAMLET "just a rip off!"

You won't, but I recommend you read the Joseph Campbell book THE HERO WITH A
THOUSAND FACES to see a lot of the common mythology that most heroic tales
share.

"It's not plagiarism...it's a homage!"

Jason

Jan 4, 2002, 10:44:07 AM1/4/02
Lucas borrowed from quite a few sources for Star Wars, he's the first
to admit it and it's not unusual.

Al Jackson

Jan 4, 2002, 11:16:06 AM1/4/02
Well now you could say Herbert ripped off every science fiction writer from
about 1930 to 1960!
How about A.E. van Vogt?
DUNE reads like the novel John W. Campbell never could get out of van Vogt.

But are you not forgeting something??

Akira Kurosawa! and Kakushi toride no san akunin (1958), known here as
The Hidden Fortress.... hmmmmm ?????//

Jeffrey MacHott

Jan 4, 2002, 12:16:38 PM1/4/02

"attack_of_the_guilts" <attack_of_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Today at work we were having a bit of a chat, me being a Dune fan my mate
> being a Star Wars fan. Well during the discussion we started to notice
some
> "correlations" between Dune & the Star Wars series.......we came to the
> conclusion that Star Wars is just a Dune rip off!
> You want proof !?
> Dune (1957) Star Wars
> (1977)
>

> Bene Gesserit - mysterious religious order Jedi
Knights

Well, there are any number of Real Life(tm) mysterious religious orders
which predate DUNE by hundreds or thousands of years :*)

> BG wear floor-length hooded cloaks Jedi
Knights

Nuns, Monks, etc. etc. They've been around MUCH longer than DUNE :*)

> Different BG have different skills, teachers, Jedi
> Knights
>
> Medics, historians, etc

I'm not sure I follow here, looks like a wierd formating thing in the way
the text got put in, but are you saying that because Jedis and Bene Gesserit
both have different skills this means the Jedi got this from the Bene
Gesserit?

> BG Reverend Mother School Jedi
Temple

United States Military Academy, any number of other schools dedicated to
training people in particular tasks.

> BG "Voice" - control over the weak minded Jedi mind trick

This one I'll give you for now, although I'm fairly sure telepathic
mind-control predates DUNE :*)

> BG ""Litany against Fear"
> Yoda's speech about fear and the dark side
>

> BG Prana-Bindu exercises Yoda's
> physical training regime

The two don't really have much to do with eachother, the Prana-bindu
excercises involved things like moving one small muscle, independent of the
others, while Yoda's stuff involved concentration things like using the
Force to stack rocks while doing a hand stand with an annoying little guy
sitting on you :*)

> Arrakis - Desert planet where story begins Tatooine

Arab peninsula and Israel/Palestine - desert region where much of the New
Testament takes place

> Wind Traps and Dew Collectors Moisture
> Farms

The two may not be directly tied to eachother, they have stuff like that in
real life. In Boy Scouts, they teach us how to make dew collectors. :*)

> Sand Worms - huge worms that eat people Sarlacc

Yeahh... I guess, but I keyed in on the more obvious Space Worm Thingy from
Empire Strikes Back :*)

The Sarlacc and his pit reminds me of an Ant Lion, an insect which digs a
small pit, and which eats small insects that slip down the sides of the pit.
if you don't count the fact that the Sarlacc pit is quite large and an Ant
Lion's den is only about an inch and a half across, the two look quite a bit
alike :*)

> Paul Atreides - Boy hero who gains special powers Luke Skywalker

Jesus Christ, who had the power to heal all sorts of interesting ailments

> Baron Harkonnen - bad guy with mechanical implants Darth Vader
>
> to survive

Harkonnen didn't have mechanical implants, IIRC, he wore a set of suspensors
so he wouldn't have to support his own weight, and in fact there is a
character in Kevin Jay Anderson's Star Wars novels who does the exact same
thing :*) Also, Star Wars had Jabba the Hutt, and then God Emporor of DUNE
had the Worm God Emporer Leto III, IIRC, God Emporor of DUNE and Return of
the Jedi, where Jabba first appeared on screen, came out at around the same
time, although I couldn't tell you the origins of either character or how
far back either creator had planned the character.

> Paul's father killed by Baron Harkonnen Luke's
father
> "killed" by Vader

Well, Luke's father wasn't killed by Vader though, he just thought he did.

> Paul turns out to be Baron Harkonnen's grandson !!! Luke and Vader
> surprise relationship

This one holds some water, although it is also a basic staple plot for most
Soap Operas that I know of :*)

> Alia - Paul's sister also gains special powers Princess
> Leia

Well, Leia never became possessed or commited suicide either, unless that
has happened since I stopped reading Kevin J Anderson's books? :*)

> Fremen - hardy desert dwellers who kill outsiders Tatooine Sand
> People

This could describe certain groups in the Arab peninsula or Southwest Asia,
although not to the extent of the Fremen.

> Paul leads Fremen forces against Galactic Emperor Luke leads Rebel
> Alliance against Emperor

IIRC, a British officer by the name of Lawrence led Arab tribes against the
Turks, and George Washington led Colonial forces against the King of England
:*)

> Sardaukar - Emperor's army, feared across the Galaxy Storm troopers -
> Emperor's army, feared across the Galaxy

The SS were Hitler's elite troops, who were feared accross Europe for a
time, Then there are the Army Rangers, and various other military groups
around the world today

> Slig - Cow-sized animal, cross between a Jabba the
Hutt

> slug and a pig

Er... I don't think anyone had the slightest intention of making a meal out
of Jabba though :*)

> Tleilaxu axlotl tanks for growing human tissue Bacta Tanks

Well, the Tleilaxu axlotl tanks are used to produce clones, while the Bacta
Tanks immerse the person in a healing solution. I'm not sure, but I seem to
remember that there are tanks in Real Life(tm) that are used to immerse a
burn victim in a solution of some sort to protect them from infection or
exposure. Aside from that, the Bacta Tanks just look cool :*)

> Gholas
> Clones

I'm fairly sure that cloning isn't original to DUNE.

> Duncan Idaho - trusted weapons master Hans Solo -
> pretty handy with a blaster

Han Solo is closer to one of the Smugglers who aligned themselves with the
Atreides, since he WAS a smuggler, after all :*)

> Thufir - teacher/mentor to Paul
> Obiwan - teacher/mentor to Luke

This comparison is kinda thin, Thufir was a Mentat-Assasin, and while I'm
sure the Force gives Obi-Wan some excellent mental capabilties, he certainly
wasn't an assasin of any sort.

> Ornithopter - transport on desert planet Land
> speeder - transport on desert planet

Bad comparison, along your line of logic here, both the Ornithoptor and the
Speeder owe their lineage to the Jeep, or perhaps farther back to the camel,
both used as transports in deserts :*) the Ornithoptor is a kind of
aircraft which flies by flapping it's wings in a manner much like a bird
(I've yet to figure out how they can make this work without teh aid of
computers, as opposed to something simpler like a helicoptor), while the
Speeder is essentially a hovercar, which moves about with small jets, being
held above the ground using suspensor fields similar to what the Baron is so
fond of.

> Crysknife - noble weapon Light
> sabre - noble weapon

Crysknife is a knife cut from the tooth of a Sandworm, and is used in fights
to the death, while the Light sabre is a sword-type energy weapon which
seems to be used as a tool for cutting or illumination almost as often as it
is used for fighting. Also, Light Sabres seem to be used most often either
in self-defensive actions (deflecting blaster bolts) or in sparring and
training.

> ......think about it!
>
> George Lucas....possibly the worlds greatest plagiarist!

IIRC, George Lucas states outright that he borrows from lots of stuff, and
he's by no means the first, last, or in any way unique for doing so. If
something works, why not find a way to use it so it works for you? Anyhow,
it's been said that there's nothing new under the son, just about ANYTHING
ANYBODY writes nowadays can probably be compared to something done in the
past, whether the person writing it intended to use an old idea of even if
the person KNEW about the old idea or not :*)

But still, Star Wars vs. DUNE has to be my favorite Weekly AFD topic :*)

--
--Jeffrey MacHott

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to
pick on rich women than biker gangs."

Barry Hurt

Jan 4, 2002, 12:50:06 PM1/4/02
Here's another one -

Dune - Lynch movie casts music star Sting
Star Wars - casts N'Sync :(

"Jeffrey MacHott" <RaguL...@netzero.net> wrote in message

Rabid_Si

Jan 4, 2002, 1:04:25 PM1/4/02

"Barry Hurt" <barry@terramartech_ANDNOSPAMFORALL.com> wrote in message

> Here's another one -
>
> Dune - Lynch movie casts music star Sting
> Star Wars - casts N'Sync :(

OH DEAR GOD, please tell me they didn't cast N'Sync. x_X

~Rabid_Si

Barry Hurt

Jan 4, 2002, 1:15:55 PM1/4/02
I believe it to be true -

http://www.theforce.net/episode2/index.html#13715

highlight the blank part.

Although if N'Sync can be Jedi Knights it may explain the fall of the
republic.

"Rabid_Si" <rabi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

spauldingae

Jan 4, 2002, 3:43:53 PM1/4/02

"Barry Hurt" <barry@terramartech_ANDNOSPAMFORALL.com> wrote in message
> Here's another one -
>
> Dune - Lynch movie casts music star Sting
> Star Wars - casts N'Sync :(

Well, the only good thing is that N'Sync may have fewer lines then Sting(who
only had about 10 or so in the first place).

Gunnar Harboe

Jan 4, 2002, 5:54:02 PM1/4/02
On Fri, 04 Jan 2002 13:36:51 +0100, Hardy Hestert
<hes...@t-online.de> wrote:
>We know that Lucas ripped off Dune, LotR, Kurosawa... I just found a
>nice site about that
>
>http://www.jitterbug.com/origins/

That's pretty cool! <adds to Favourites>
Thanks.

--
Bye!
Gunnar Harboe
gh...@cam.ac.uk
The alt.fan.dune FAQ
<http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gh248/dunefaq/>
___
There should be a word-tension for "fated," conveying
a meaning opposite from a thing destined to be. There
should also be a garnish-tension for "parsley,"
denoting the opposite of the leafy herb. Oh, we speak
in daily discourse of "anti-parsley," but that is
another thing entire. What the word for a thing is
can consequent much.
- from "Mauve'Bib Has Ideas and Speaks Them,"
edited by the Princess Serutan

Kjacks...@hotmail.com

Jan 4, 2002, 9:00:23 PM1/4/02
First of Sarlac was not a worm, it was just a mouth and tummy in the dirt in the middle of no where.  Second Star Wars was primarly about a good/Evil conflict that resides in a personal and social level of the universe.  DUNE was about how corrupt people can get when interduced to scare resources.

The differences in the Economical and Spirital/Social lessons, but yes i see the resemblances.

Brett McConnie

Jan 4, 2002, 10:58:48 PM1/4/02
Go ahead "attack_of_the_guilts", make my day...

> Today at work we were having a bit of a chat, me being a Dune fan my mate
> being a Star Wars fan. Well during the discussion we started to notice
some
> "correlations" between Dune & the Star Wars series.......we came to the
> conclusion that Star Wars is just a Dune rip off!

I was the one who was ripped off. A long time ago I returned from a galaxy
far, far away and told my incredible tale to George Lucas who then made
squillions from the films. Star Wars is based on the story of my life.
--
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe."

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of The Clones, May 16th 2002

C'Pi

Jan 6, 2002, 5:42:31 AM1/6/02

"Al Jackson" <aa...@flash.net> wrote in message

> Well now you could say Herbert ripped off every science fiction writer
from
> about 1930 to 1960!
> How about A.E. van Vogt?
> DUNE reads like the novel John W. Campbell never could get out of van
Vogt.

And of course the most ovious influence. T. E. Lawrence.

C'Pi

Carlos cmsahe

Jan 6, 2002, 6:30:36 PM1/6/02
"Barry Hurt" <barry@terramartech_ANDNOSPAMFORALL.com> wrote in message news:<3c35ea9f$0$79596$e2e...@nntp.cts.com>...
> Here's another one -
>
> Dune - Lynch movie casts music star Sting
> Star Wars - casts N'Sync :(

But Sting- Feyd Rauta would single handedly slice the throats of the N'sync Jedi!!

Richard Mackay

Jan 6, 2002, 10:55:41 PM1/6/02
> And I don't know if Dune was the first story to use clones. Give this a
> maybe.

I think possibly Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World' , first published in
1932, was the first story to use clones and the whole idea of genetic
engineering..

--
Richard Higgins

spauldingae

Jan 7, 2002, 10:00:15 PM1/7/02

"Richard Mackay" <ric...@crazedscot.co.uk> wrote in message

Good point. I had forgotten about that, and I wasn't sure when BNW was
written.

> --
> Richard Higgins

Alnitak

Jan 8, 2002, 3:36:00 AM1/8/02
"Richard Mackay" <ric...@crazedscot.co.uk> wrote in message

Keep in mind though that Huxley didn't have the slightest interest in
genetic engineering, he was merely portraying what he felt was the logical
extrapolation of a future desensitised, soulless society. Trends he saw
then being taken to ridiculous to-the-nth-degree levels.

His reaction to some current news wouldn't be to say, "See, I was right!",
it would be, to shudder in horror....

> --
> Richard Higgins

bobbyhaqq

Jan 8, 2002, 6:03:56 AM1/8/02
"spauldingae" <spaul...@home.com> wrote in message news:<nmfZ7.5164$B85.246266@rwcrnsc53>...
that Star Wars is just a Dune rip off!

> Actually, Star Wars ripped quite a bit off LOTR as well. I think that Lucas
> owes both the Tolkien and Herbert Estates a lot of money.

I live part of the year in Tunisia and am always amazed at how much
lack of creativity Lucas showed in creating his desert world. From
cloathing to names almost everything is lifted.

Tattoine: Town in Southern Tunisa
Karouin: Town in Central Tunisa, major tourist destination.
Jedidi: Name of town in central Tunisia.
Lucas farm and home were simply filmed in Matmata, with almost no
propts or sets at all. In one hotel the keep the few changes made by
the crew of the first movie, it looks like a B-rate movie set, a
college film school project. He just found a cool place, took some
junk and painted in grey, placed it around the places and had his
planet.

The costums worn by almost all characters of Tattoine are traditional
Berber cloathing. Even the way those droid sellers walk with their
arms swinging is precisely how old Berber men look when they tuck
their arms out of their sleeves.

Ty Beard

Jan 8, 2002, 11:17:17 AM1/8/02
"bobbyhaqq" <rhook...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

A genius (IMHO) only steals the very best elements. Tolkien and Herbert also
liberally (and brilliantly) borrowed from other sources. I see nothing
sinister or reprehensible in that.

--Ty Beard

Gunnar Harboe

Jan 8, 2002, 1:06:44 PM1/8/02
On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 10:17:17 -0600, "Ty Beard" <tbe...@tyler.net>
wrote:

You forget. FH is the guy who "copied very averagely" the classic
heroic story. :-)

Ty Beard

Jan 8, 2002, 12:22:23 PM1/8/02
"Gunnar Harboe" <gh...@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 10:17:17 -0600, "Ty Beard" <tbe...@tyler.net>
> >A genius (IMHO) only steals the very best elements. Tolkien and Herbert
also
> >liberally (and brilliantly) borrowed from other sources. I see nothing
> >sinister or reprehensible in that.
> >
> >--Ty Beard
>
> You forget. FH is the guy who "copied very averagely" the classic
> heroic story. :-)

Well, I suppose that mediocrity -- like beauty -- is often in the eye of the
beholder.

--Ty Beard

M.Kweens

Jan 10, 2002, 3:41:30 PM1/10/02

"Ty Beard" <tbe...@tyler.net> schreef in bericht
I must say that that "borrowing" is an artform of itself :)
Creating a whole new planet of some stuff, ppl and places you find here. Who
didn't think Star Wars, especially when it was released, looked great and
truly convincing?
Actually I think Star Wars still looks great ;)

Mark

Ty Beard

Jan 10, 2002, 8:16:40 PM1/10/02
"M.Kweens" <godworms...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:_%m%7.239359

> > > The costums worn by almost all characters of Tattoine are traditional
> > > Berber cloathing. Even the way those droid sellers walk with their
> > > arms swinging is precisely how old Berber men look when they tuck
> > > their arms out of their sleeves.
> >
> > A genius (IMHO) only steals the very best elements. Tolkien and Herbert
> also
> > liberally (and brilliantly) borrowed from other sources. I see nothing
> > sinister or reprehensible in that.
> >
> > --Ty Beard
> >
> I must say that that "borrowing" is an artform of itself :)
> Creating a whole new planet of some stuff, ppl and places you find here.
Who
> didn't think Star Wars, especially when it was released, looked great and
> truly convincing?
> Actually I think Star Wars still looks great ;)

Me too. Even the non-spiffed up version. And borrowing from real life also
lends verisimilitude I suspect.

--Ty Beard

bobbyhaqq

Jan 11, 2002, 8:23:44 AM1/11/02

> A genius (IMHO) only steals the very best elements. Tolkien and Herbert also
> liberally (and brilliantly) borrowed from other sources. I see nothing
> sinister or reprehensible in that.
>
> --Ty Beard

Well I imagine place names could be more creative. Though Tolkien was
a genius it was because he deeply understood what he stold. He took
liberally from Celtic and early English literature and language only
after years of exhaustive and deep research on these subjects. He was
a master of the origins of English and in his stories the mythology of
that time comes alive only because he fully understood it.

Herbert was a good student, but quick to take on Arabic references he
did not fully understand but that is fairly acceptable. If he had
waited to write Dune only after he fully understood the meanings of
the names and phrases he was lifting the book would have never gotten
written. It is full of Arab references, but made to Herberts uses and
interest where Tolkien makes you feel it is the world itself which is
making the things happen. Genius is when you feel the story could not
have been any other way, that it was in a way not written but
happened.

Lucas, I think that last diaster removes any question about Lucas as
genius, he certainly is not. The best Star War movie was Empire where
he had the least creative control. As for star wars, between Dune,
Lord of the Rings, Japans Samauri Action and place names in Tunisia I
think you can assert the whole movie is nothing more then a highly
creative mixture of references simply lifted and pasted in place. Its
creativity is how they are graphed on to the movie, but it lacks the
central creative core that Tolkien had, or the vision of Herbert.

Gunnar Harboe

Jan 11, 2002, 2:40:47 PM1/11/02

Hi, bobbyhaqq!
I've been wanting to reply to some of your posts for some time now, but
there were a few things standing in the way. At first I was reading The
Satanic Verses and wanted to finish it in order to respond with more
authority to your assertions. Then I intended to go on to Gravity's
Rainbow, but it turns out you can't get hold of it back home in Norway.
(In Cambridge, on the other hand, I can pop across the street, choose
from a complete selection of Pynchon's works *and* get a coffee any time
till 11 pm. A moment, ladies and gentlemen, to rave about the wonder
that is Borders.)

Anyway...
It seems to me that you have a very limited vision of what makes a book
great. Yeah, incorporating deep philological wisdoms into your novel may
be very *clever*, but in the end it's just another device. It's a bit
like saying the book isn't well written because it doesn't have enough
puns.

FH incorporated a foreign language into his story. He did this for some
very specific reasons that had little to do with the language as such.
So if Herbert's Fremen doesn't accurately reflect Arabic, and FH hasn't
taken cues from that language in his writing, that's not a weakness. He
never intended to. And he achieves what he intended (provoking a feeling
of alienness, invoking certain associations in his readers, and hiding
certain plot points under strange names ("kwisatz haderach") until it's
time to reveal them, to name just a few things) for most of his
audience. FH (sensibly) didn't expect his readers to know much Arabic.
If he did, he would have had to write it very differently.

Another thing: "Genius is when you feel the story could not have been
any other way, that it was in a way not written but happened." Again you
seem to be saying that there's only one correct way to write a great
book. Also, you're contradicting yourself. You've praised many books and
authors that make no pretense of a plausible or convincing story, but
play with the conventions of storytelling. "One hundred years of
solitude" being just one example. And even if we leave out the great
novels that are artificial or contrived, there's still many who
specifically make the point that they COULD have happened another way.
That there's no fate or providence guaranteeing success or tragedy.