Sometimes....

1 view

J'Karrah

Nov 11, 2008, 3:02:14 PM11/11/08
... I really hate people. Especially stupid, grabby people who break
things in store then hide it before slinking away like the cowards
they are instead of owning up to their deed and adhering to the "you
break it you bought it" curtsey.

Went down to check on my sales booth at Crafter's Market to see what
needed replacing or refilling and what do I find? Some total loser
had broken a horn off of this mini dragon

http://ebondragonart.com/periwinkle_purple_mini_dragon.html

and then proceeded to attempt to hide it by pushing it to the back of
the shelf and turning it so the missing horn wasn't readily visible.
While I am confident I can repair the missing horn and make him as
good as new, that's completely beside the point. It seems very few
people have any concept of honor any more or taking any kind of
responsibility for their actions.

And this isn't the first time I've had to repair something some moron
has damaged and then snuck off. I swear, I catch one of these morons
in the act and I'm going to roast 'em.

~J'Karrah

EbonDragon Productions: http://ebondragonart.com
Dragon Sculptures: http://ebondragonart.com/sculptures.html
Gift Shop: http://www.cafepress.com/ebondragon

"Imagination Soars on Dragon Wings"

Dafydd Edward Dragon

Nov 11, 2008, 3:48:04 PM11/11/08
GGRRRR WTF??!?! Damn it Shaw! I'm going to kill them! I typed over a
page of a reply and it didn't get sent and I lost the reply I typed!

Grrr.. I'm not going to type it all again.. in short I said that I work
at Staples and coustomers do that all the time, they break things, tear
open packaging carelessly to 'look' at something, discard it and take
another to buy that they didn't tear open, they steal or damage anything
they can get away with etc.

They constantly screw with the laptop wall that I keep trying to guard
and I even made a program that tries to revert all changes they do as
they either screw with it until it looks like it's broken, or the
utterly break the computer to the point it doesn't turn on anymore, or
they do stuff like tear keys off if the keyboards, and I know it's not
kids because those laptops are at least 4 feet off the floor or higher.

It seems to be the mentality of people these days that so many are all
jerks, idiots, bastards, or the like. It always pisses me off. I know
things are even worse for you though J'Karrah as people are destroying
your art, and hard work. I find that very low of people.

It seems I'm going to have to get into the habit of copying my posts
before I hit the send button. My stupid ISP gave the ok in sending it,
my client (thunderbird) closed the typing window and my post never shown
up. I bloody hate Shaw screwing with the NTTP server.

-Dafydd Edward Dragon

v_dragon

Nov 11, 2008, 6:41:46 PM11/11/08
J'Karrah wrote:

(-_-)___
i know what you mean...people now a days...bleah...

--
Vincent

DC2.D Gm L W- T- Phwalt Skh Cta,bta+ Bco/fl A Fr++ Nn
M O H--- Fo R+++! Ac+ J+ S? I---# V? Q? Tc++[Technition] E+
www.vincentthedragon.com/bio/me_the_dragon.html

Visit my Blog/Lair @ www.vincentthedragon.com
Updated twice weekly
v_dr...@bellsouth.net
Yahoo IM vincent_the_dragon
SeconLife VincentTheDragon Wei
Up the Irons!
---------------------------
Duke of Dutch Ovens [DoDo]
(currently offline)dutchovenfaq.htm
<'cause few know what a dutch oven is>
Priest in charge of the pastries
Participant in the March 07 Flood Award
---------------------------
"The tears of a Dragon,
For you and for me."
-Bruce Dickinson

J'Karrah

Nov 12, 2008, 12:58:58 AM11/12/08
On Nov 11, 3:48 pm, Dafydd Edward Dragon <dafydddragon-
nosp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> They constantly screw with the laptop wall that I keep trying to guard
> and I even made a program that tries to revert all changes they do as
> they either screw with it until it looks like it's broken, or the
> utterly break the computer to the point it doesn't turn on anymore, or
> they do stuff like tear keys off if the keyboards, and I know it's not
> kids because those laptops are at least 4 feet off the floor or higher.

I've seen stuff like that at Staples and other places. I worked
retail for about 12 years and have pretty much seen it all. And
you're right, the worst offenders are never kids, but supposed adults
who should have a better sense of right and wrong. But if you can
justify the little shit, it's that much easier to justify committing
bigger wrongs as well. No wonder this world seems so screwed up. I
try to defend people in general... try to concentrate on the potential
for greatness I know exists within the species as a whole. But
sometimes some members of the human population make that damned
difficult.

> It seems to be the mentality of people these days that so many are all
> jerks, idiots, bastards, or the like. It always pisses me off. I know
> things are even worse for you though J'Karrah as people are destroying
> your art, and hard work. I find that very low of people.

Tell me about it. Especially the sculptures where I get to watch each
one literally come into existence from the formless void, to watch a
dragon materialize where there wasn't one before and see their
individual personality come to life as their facial features take
shape. The hardest thing for me to do is let them go when they are
ready,crap like this makes it even harder. The prices I sell them for
hardly equals the amount of time and effort that goes into them.
Knowing that there was someone with so little regard for any of that
just pisses me off to no end.

> It seems I'm going to have to get into the habit of copying my posts
> before I hit the send button. My stupid ISP gave the ok in sending it,
> my client (thunderbird) closed the typing window and my post never shown
> up. I bloody hate Shaw screwing with the NTTP server.

I got into the habit of doing that a long time ago. It's saved me a
lot of aggravation over the years...

J'Karrah

Nov 12, 2008, 1:01:26 AM11/12/08
On Nov 11, 6:41 pm, v_dragon <v_dra...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> (-_-)___
> i know what you mean...people now a days...bleah...

Seems like common decency and the courage to own up to one's mistakes
is a thing of the past. "Do unto others as you would have them do
unto you" has become "do unto others, then split" Seriously makes me
wonder why I bother sometimes.

Dafydd Edward Dragon

Nov 11, 2008, 3:40:21 PM11/11/08
It seems to be the mentality of people these days J'Karrah sadly. I work
at Staples (a business depot store) and customers constantly do things
like break and hide things, steal anything they can get away with, or
tear open packaging to look at a product, and then rather than buy that
one, drop it and buy one still nicely in it's packaging so no one else
will buy the one they carelessly tore apart, especially on high-ticket
items. I also had to make a program on the laptop wall that /tries/ to
undo any changes customers do to the laptops because they utterly screw
with the settings until the laptop either doesn't work anymore or looks
horrible (like making icons super huge, screw with the colors, set the
resolution to something horrible, etc.) or utterly just break them. We
had laptops that were well above 4 feet high and somebody tore a handful
of the keys off of the keyboards on the laptops, making them completely
useless as you can't simply get missing keys fore keyboards, the entire
unit has to be sent back to the manufacture to be destroyed.

A lot of people these days are idiots, bastards, jerks, or otherwise
nasty individuals who do whatever nasty thing they want if they think
they can get away with it. You can usually identify such people when
they keep trying to avoid you and scuffle away when you ask if you can
help them with anything. -.- For you I know it's much worse as it's
your art and your hard work being destroyed, for me it's just me trying
to guard products owned by a corporation.

-Dafydd Edward Dragon

Dafydd Edward Dragon

Nov 11, 2008, 3:39:02 PM11/11/08

Marrock

Nov 12, 2008, 12:16:06 PM11/12/08

I've discovered that if I keep my hands in my pockets I never have to
worry about owning up to breaking something I shouldn't have been
fiddling with in the first place.

--
Good journeys,
Marrock Volsung

http://TheBlackBaron.blogspot.com/

Bearer of three Ponder Points

"Fly with me," said the dragon, "live in the depths of the waters and
soar through the sky.
We are not toys for mortals, but spirits that ride the winds and blow
the clouds along." --Lu Kuei Meng

DC2.Dw Gm L42f W T25,000l Phvwalt Sks,wl
Cbk\gr-^,fgr--,ebk%,vgr--^>bk^,sgr-^,bgr--^&1bk^,wbk@gr-,cag^ Bac A++ Nm
O H $+ R+++! Ac+++ J S+++! U I++ V-- Q+++! Tc+ E---!#

Dafydd Edward Dragon

Nov 12, 2008, 2:39:06 PM11/12/08

....lookie lookie.. my lost post that appeared twice, way way way after
I posted it originally O.o Well, this was my post that I had to retype
if you wanted to read it...

-Dafydd Edward Dragon

Lord Flame Stryke

Nov 12, 2008, 8:30:32 PM11/12/08
"J'Karrah" <jka...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:b2e2a711-b574-4741-9f59-
54db08...@i18g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

>> (-_-)___
>> i know what you mean...people now a days...bleah...
> Seems like common decency and the courage to own up to one's mistakes
> is a thing of the past. "Do unto others as you would have them do
> unto you" has become "do unto others, then split" Seriously makes me
> wonder why I bother sometimes.

My motto is "do unto others as they've done unto you". Thus, if people
piss me off, I turn around and piss them off right back. If they haven't,
then I go out of my way not to.

Lord Flame Stryke

--
DC2.D~ Gm L120f60t180w W T Phawlt Sks Cbk,ere' Bfl A+++! Fr+++ Nm M+ O H+
$ Fc~ R+++! Ac+++ J+ S++ U! I# V+++! Q Tc++ E++
Draco nigrum, oculi rubere, suppositus, magus.
Holder of the Scroll of Nobility from Lady Viriatha, Keeper of the Wand of
Sparklies in its case from Hex, Wielder of the Lady Viri Signature 4x8 from
Ysable, Eater of the Mint Cheesecake from Whisper, Mate to Lady Viriatha,
Owner of Flame Stryke's Windex® Factory, Lord Balloonmaker, Borrower of the
Ebony Wood Fife from Luxatos, Accepter of the Small Statue of a Green
Dragon Covered in Ice Cream Toppings from Juniper, Employer of a miniature
Jester doll from SeaKing, Bearer of the Magic Ever-Bill from SeaKing,
Carrier of the gold piece from whisper: o, Builder of Dragon Fyre Keep,
First Dragon of Realism, Giver of the Pickaxe of Icebreaking to Kalos,
Winner of the *shiny* riddle award from Pegasus, Wearer of the big *shiny*
medal of posting-ness from Pegasus, Taker of the Gold Medal for Most Posts
in March 2007 (369), Aquirer of the little blue flower from Pegasus,
Requirer of the .sig barber as informed by Lady Viriatha

--
"My buttocks are like twin wheels of gouda." -- Tiny Tank

Lord Flame Stryke

Nov 12, 2008, 8:43:46 PM11/12/08
Dafydd Edward Dragon <dafydddrag...@gmail.com> wrote in

> It seems to be the mentality of people these days J'Karrah sadly. I
> work at Staples (a business depot store) and customers constantly do
> things like break and hide things, steal anything they can get away
> with, or tear open packaging to look at a product, and then rather
> than buy that one, drop it and buy one still nicely in it's packaging
> so no one else will buy the one they carelessly tore apart, especially
> on high-ticket items. I also had to make a program on the laptop wall
> that /tries/ to undo any changes customers do to the laptops because
> they utterly screw with the settings until the laptop either doesn't
> work anymore or looks horrible (like making icons super huge, screw
> with the colors, set the resolution to something horrible, etc.) or
> utterly just break them. We had laptops that were well above 4 feet

The benefits of Windows Vista -- set a password on the Admin account,
then juser enable the Guest account, and people can't screw anything up,
as the system won't let them.....

However, I do know that a lot of systems are still running Windows XP
off the shelf, and that's not so easy to do.....

Me, I like to play with the systems, too, but I also know how to undo
what I've done, so if I do screw something up, I can set it back to
where it's supposed to be.....

However, here's an idea to pass on to your manager: before anyone's
allowed to look at the computers, they have to pay a $20 fee. If they
leave things the way they got them, they get their $20 back. If not,
they don't..... When people are accountable in the beginning, they tend
to not wreck things.....

> high and somebody tore a handful of the keys off of the keyboards on
> the laptops, making them completely useless as you can't simply get
> missing keys fore keyboards, the entire unit has to be sent back to
> the manufacture to be destroyed.
> A lot of people these days are idiots, bastards, jerks, or otherwise
> nasty individuals who do whatever nasty thing they want if they think
> they can get away with it. You can usually identify such people when
> they keep trying to avoid you and scuffle away when you ask if you can
> help them with anything. -.- For you I know it's much worse as it's
> your art and your hard work being destroyed, for me it's just me
> trying to guard products owned by a corporation.

I've seen a lot of signs..... "We break, we cry, you break, you
buy"..... "Look with your eyes, not with your hands"..... Some people
have the sense to abide by these..... But then you get the ones at the
place I work..... Supposed adults who piss all over the toilet seat,
then walk away..... People who smear shit all over the toilet seat then
walk away..... People who write on the walls..... One person who
actually took a knife to the bathroom wall and cut a huge hole in the
drywall..... If I knew who they were leaving piss and shit all over the
toilet seat, I'd drag them back in by the hair and force them to lick it
up -- after all, they had the chance to wipe it up already and they
obviously didn't know how.....

</rant>

Anyway, I do sympathize with both of you, and if I was anywhere near
your areas and had the time, I'd be a bouncer for you };=8Þ

Lord Flame Stryke

--
[...]

"Give me liberty or give me debt!" -- Arcaton

Dafydd Edward Dragon

Nov 13, 2008, 8:09:08 PM11/13/08
> your areas and had the time, I'd be a bouncer for you };=8Ş
>

> Lord Flame Stryke

LFS, the 'guest' account won't work as they are 'working demos' they're
supposed to be in a state that the people can screw with it and see what
it can do. Also there's no method of charging people to look at a
display. If you went to such trouble, no one would bother to stick
around to buy the laptops, they'd go to a different store that lets them
look and touch the devices before they buy them. No one is going to
cough up $20 just to /look/ at something, even if promised they will get
it back, and also it'd cost the store a ton to have people micro-manage
customers like that. It just doesn't work. This is a retail store, not
some fancy art gallery or jewelery store.

-Dafydd Edward Dragon

Lord Flame Stryke

Nov 13, 2008, 8:57:23 PM11/13/08

> LFS, the 'guest' account won't work as they are 'working demos'
> they're supposed to be in a state that the people can screw with it
> and see what it can do. Also there's no method of charging people to
> look at a display. If you went to such trouble, no one would bother to
> stick around to buy the laptops, they'd go to a different store that
> lets them look and touch the devices before they buy them. No one is
> going to cough up $20 just to /look/ at something, even if promised
> they will get it back, and also it'd cost the store a ton to have
> people micro-manage customers like that. It just doesn't work. This is
> a retail store, not some fancy art gallery or jewelery store.

Oh, I know they won't work. I just said they were ideas, not that they
were good ones!! };=8Þ

Lord Flame Stryke

--
[...]

"Early morning, April 4. A shot rings out in the Memphis sky. Free at
last! They took your life. They could not take your pride!" -- U2,
"Pride"

Azhren

Nov 13, 2008, 11:59:37 PM11/13/08
I just said they were ideas, not that they were good ones!! };=8Ş

I wonder how old that saying is? :-D

Lord Flame Stryke

Nov 14, 2008, 9:03:02 PM11/14/08
Azhren <azh...@dragonmount.com> wrote in news:ZA7Tk.14916$sc2.11708@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

>> I just said they were ideas, not that they were good ones!! };=8Ş
> I wonder how old that saying is? :-D

No idea, but I still like it.

Lord Flame Stryke

--
[...]

"If I had a million ducats, I'd buy you an exotic pet, like a dragon or a
unicorn." -- Brobdingnagian Bards, "If I Had a Million Ducats"

Simon Richard Clarkstone

Nov 16, 2008, 10:58:26 AM11/16/08
Dafydd Edward Dragon wrote:
> Lord Flame Stryke wrote:
>> Dafydd Edward Dragon <dafydddrag...@gmail.com> wrote in
>>> It seems to be the mentality of people these days J'Karrah sadly. I
>>> work at Staples (a business depot store) and customers constantly do
>>> things like break and hide things, steal anything they can get away
>>> with, or tear open packaging to look at a product, and then rather
>>> than buy that one, drop it and buy one still nicely in it's packaging
>>> so no one else will buy the one they carelessly tore apart, especially
>>> on high-ticket items. I also had to make a program on the laptop wall
>>> that /tries/ to undo any changes customers do to the laptops because
>>> they utterly screw with the settings until the laptop either doesn't
>>> work anymore or looks horrible (like making icons super huge, screw
>>> with the colors, set the resolution to something horrible, etc.) or
>>> utterly just break them.

Maybe some sort of boot disk that reloads a HD image?

>> The benefits of Windows Vista -- set a password on the Admin account,
>> then juser enable the Guest account, and people can't screw anything
>> up, as the system won't let them.....
>>
>> However, I do know that a lot of systems are still running Windows XP
>> off the shelf, and that's not so easy to do.....
>>
>> Me, I like to play with the systems, too, but I also know how to undo
>> what I've done, so if I do screw something up, I can set it back to
>> where it's supposed to be.....
>

> LFS, the 'guest' account won't work as they are 'working demos' they're
> supposed to be in a state that the people can screw with it and see what
> it can do.

Well, if the point of the display is to let random people screw with
them computers, you can expect the incompetent ones of muck them up by
accident. They aren't all malicious.

--
Simon Richard Clarkstone:
s.r.cl?rkst?n?@dunelm.org.uk / s?m?n_cl?rkst?n?@yahoo.co.uk

Simon Richard Clarkstone

Nov 16, 2008, 11:01:42 AM11/16/08
Dafydd Edward Dragon wrote:
> GGRRRR WTF??!?! Damn it Shaw! I'm going to kill them! I typed over a
> page of a reply and it didn't get sent and I lost the reply I typed!
[...]

> It seems I'm going to have to get into the habit of copying my posts
> before I hit the send button. My stupid ISP gave the ok in sending it,
> my client (thunderbird) closed the typing window and my post never shown
> up. I bloody hate Shaw screwing with the NTTP server.

Doesn't your news/mail client save every message you send, and save
every message you compose once a minute? You should be able to set it
to do that.

Simon Richard Clarkstone

Nov 16, 2008, 11:08:36 AM11/16/08
Lord Flame Stryke wrote:
> "J'Karrah" <jka...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:b2e2a711-b574-4741-9f59-
> 54db08...@i18g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>
>>> (-_-)___
>>> i know what you mean...people now a days...bleah...
>> Seems like common decency and the courage to own up to one's mistakes
>> is a thing of the past. "Do unto others as you would have them do
>> unto you" has become "do unto others, then split" Seriously makes me
>> wonder why I bother sometimes.
>
> My motto is "do unto others as they've done unto you". Thus, if people
> piss me off, I turn around and piss them off right back. If they haven't,
> then I go out of my way not to.

That relies on you being able to tell when people are trying to be like
that and when they are accidentally being like that, otherwise every
accident or misinterpretation causes a feud.

Simon Richard Clarkstone

Nov 16, 2008, 11:13:26 AM11/16/08
J'Karrah wrote:
> Went down to check on my sales booth at Crafter's Market to see what
> needed replacing or refilling and what do I find? Some total loser
> had broken a horn off of this mini dragon
>
> http://ebondragonart.com/periwinkle_purple_mini_dragon.html

Do you think it was deliberate? People have to touch these things to
look at properly.

> and then proceeded to attempt to hide it by pushing it to the back of
> the shelf and turning it so the missing horn wasn't readily visible.

Well, better to have a non-broken one at the front than a broken one.

> And this isn't the first time I've had to repair something some moron
> has damaged and then snuck off. I swear, I catch one of these morons
> in the act and I'm going to roast 'em.

How should they pay you for the damage if you aren't there?

Dafydd Edward Dragon

Nov 16, 2008, 1:58:17 PM11/16/08
Simon Richard Clarkstone wrote:
> Dafydd Edward Dragon wrote:
>> GGRRRR WTF??!?! Damn it Shaw! I'm going to kill them! I typed over a
>> page of a reply and it didn't get sent and I lost the reply I typed!
> [...]
>> It seems I'm going to have to get into the habit of copying my posts
>> before I hit the send button. My stupid ISP gave the ok in sending it,
>> my client (thunderbird) closed the typing window and my post never
>> shown up. I bloody hate Shaw screwing with the NTTP server.
>
> Doesn't your news/mail client save every message you send, and save
> every message you compose once a minute? You should be able to set it
> to do that.

I don't see such a think for newsgroups, it does for e-mail, but
apparently not for news groups. It's Mozilla Thunderbird

-Dafydd Edward Dragon

Simon Richard Clarkstone

Nov 16, 2008, 2:10:51 PM11/16/08

Tools -> Account Settings -> <Account Name> -> Copies & Folders

Then tick "Place a copy in" and select the appropriate location.

Message has been deleted

J'Karrah

Nov 16, 2008, 5:30:47 PM11/16/08
On Nov 16, 11:13 am, Simon Richard Clarkstone

<s.r.clarkst...@dunelm.org.uk> wrote:
> J'Karrah wrote:
> > Went down to check on my sales booth at Crafter's Market to see what
> > needed replacing or refilling and what do I find? Some total loser
> > had broken a horn off of this mini dragon

> >http://ebondragonart.com/periwinkle_purple_mini_dragon.html

> Do you think it was deliberate? People have to touch these things to
> look at properly.

Does it really matter if it was an accident or not? As soon as the
decision is made to try and hide the damage that's an admission they
know they were wrong. This makes them a deliberate jerk.

If I break something in a store, I don't try to hide it. I take it up
front and
pay for it. Had they owned up to it and abide by the "you break it
you bought it" rule they would have shown themselves to be a person of
honor. Had they owned up to it, but not honestly have been able to
afford to pay for the damage I would have told them to not worry about
it. Instead the chose to hide their mistake then slink off like a
coward.

> > and then proceeded to attempt to hide it by pushing it to the back of
> > the shelf and turning it so the missing horn wasn't readily visible.

> Well, better to have a non-broken one at the front than a broken one.

Better not to have either of them broken. These sculptures sit on a
shelf convenient for adults to access, but not for small children.
Whoever broke it was old enough to know what they did was wrong.
Whether it was deliberate or not doesn't change that. That they then
tried to cover it up makes them wrong twice.

> > And this isn't the first time I've had to repair something some moron
> > has damaged and then snuck off. I swear, I catch one of these morons
> > in the act and I'm going to roast 'em.

> How should they pay you for the damage if you aren't there?

Easy... they take it up to the cashier on duty and pay for it. Just
like they would have had they honestly wanted to buy it. My presence
isn't required. That's what I and the other booth renter's pay
Crafter's Market a monthly fee for.

Lkuznac Acigt-x

Nov 16, 2008, 7:25:50 PM11/16/08
Dafydd Edward Dragon wrote:
> J'Karrah wrote:
>> ... I really hate people. Especially stupid, grabby people who break
>> things in store then hide it before slinking away like the cowards
>> they are instead of owning up to their deed and adhering to the "you
>> break it you bought it" curtsey.
[...]

>> And this isn't the first time I've had to repair something some moron
>> has damaged and then snuck off. I swear, I catch one of these morons
>> in the act and I'm going to roast 'em.
>
> It seems to be the mentality of people these days J'Karrah sadly. I work
> at Staples (a business depot store) and customers constantly do things
> like break and hide things, steal anything they can get away with, or
> tear open packaging to look at a product, and then rather than buy that
> one, drop it and buy one still nicely in it's packaging so no one else
> will buy the one they carelessly tore apart, especially on high-ticket
> items.
[...]

> A lot of people these days are idiots, bastards, jerks, or otherwise
> nasty individuals who do whatever nasty thing they want if they think
> they can get away with it. You can usually identify such people when
> they keep trying to avoid you and scuffle away when you ask if you can
> help them with anything.

Laws and punishments is uneffective and culture is more effective
(partly but not completely) for removal of selfishness of people. And
culture with correct eugenics and genetic engineering is more effective
than culture without them. But humans recently have a morality problem
that prevents them using correct eugenics and genetic engineering i.e.
they use incorrect it or no it.

--
Lkuznac Acigt-x :: Not exactly a dragon; not exactly an email address.
DC2.D"Kigdatsi" Gh L3.5m1.5t8w W~ T100k Phfwlt Sks,wl Cgr,bye+ B- Ar-

Lord Flame Stryke

Nov 16, 2008, 8:14:53 PM11/16/08
Simon Richard Clarkstone <s.r.cla...@dunelm.org.uk> wrote in

>>> Seems like common decency and the courage to own up to one's
>>> mistakes is a thing of the past. "Do unto others as you would have
>>> them do unto you" has become "do unto others, then split" Seriously
>>> makes me wonder why I bother sometimes.
>> My motto is "do unto others as they've done unto you". Thus, if
>> people piss me off, I turn around and piss them off right back. If
>> they haven't, then I go out of my way not to.
> That relies on you being able to tell when people are trying to be
> like that and when they are accidentally being like that, otherwise
> every accident or misinterpretation causes a feud.

If someone is truly not deliberately acting as such, it shows. Body
language from people who make a mistake is easy to read.

Lord Flame Stryke

--
DC2.D~ Gm L120f60t180w W T Phawlt Sks Cbk,ere' Bfl A+++! Fr+++ Nm M+ O H+
$ Fc~ R+++! Ac+++ J+ S++ U! I# V+++! Q Tc++ E++
Draco nigrum, oculi rubere, suppositus, magus.
Holder of the Scroll of Nobility from Lady Viriatha, Keeper of the Wand of
Sparklies in its case from Hex, Wielder of the Lady Viri Signature 4x8 from
Ysable, Eater of the Mint Cheesecake from Whisper, Mate to Lady Viriatha,

Owner of Flame Stryke's WindexŽ Factory, Lord Balloonmaker, Borrower of the

Ebony Wood Fife from Luxatos, Accepter of the Small Statue of a Green
Dragon Covered in Ice Cream Toppings from Juniper, Employer of a miniature
Jester doll from SeaKing, Bearer of the Magic Ever-Bill from SeaKing,
Carrier of the gold piece from whisper: o, Builder of Dragon Fyre Keep,
First Dragon of Realism, Giver of the Pickaxe of Icebreaking to Kalos,
Winner of the *shiny* riddle award from Pegasus, Wearer of the big *shiny*
medal of posting-ness from Pegasus, Taker of the Gold Medal for Most Posts
in March 2007 (369), Aquirer of the little blue flower from Pegasus,
Requirer of the .sig barber as informed by Lady Viriatha

--
"Boy, n: A noise with dirt on it." -- Herd Thinners

Simon Richard Clarkstone

Nov 16, 2008, 8:15:50 PM11/16/08
J'Karrah wrote:
> On Nov 16, 11:13 am, Simon Richard Clarkstone
> <s.r.clarkst...@dunelm.org.uk> wrote:
>> J'Karrah wrote:
>>> Went down to check on my sales booth at Crafter's Market to see what
>>> needed replacing or refilling and what do I find? Some total loser
>>> had broken a horn off of this mini dragon
>>>
>>> http://ebondragonart.com/periwinkle_purple_mini_dragon.html
>>
>> Do you think it was deliberate? People have to touch these things to
>> look at properly.
>
> Does it really matter if it was an accident or not? As soon as the
> decision is made to try and hide the damage that's an admission they
> know they were wrong. This makes them a deliberate jerk.
>
> If I break something in a store, I don't try to hide it. I take it up
> front and
> pay for it. Had they owned up to it and abide by the "you break it
> you bought it" rule they would have shown themselves to be a person of
> honor. Had they owned up to it, but not honestly have been able to
> afford to pay for the damage I would have told them to not worry about
> it. Instead the chose to hide their mistake then slink off like a
> coward.

Ok. (Apart from the tiny fraction of people that are both poor and very
shy, but then that was implied.)

>>> and then proceeded to attempt to hide it by pushing it to the back of
>>> the shelf and turning it so the missing horn wasn't readily visible.
>>
>> Well, better to have a non-broken one at the front than a broken one.
>
> Better not to have either of them broken. These sculptures sit on a
> shelf convenient for adults to access, but not for small children.
> Whoever broke it was old enough to know what they did was wrong.
> Whether it was deliberate or not doesn't change that. That they then
> tried to cover it up makes them wrong twice.

Yes.

>>> And this isn't the first time I've had to repair something some moron
>>> has damaged and then snuck off. I swear, I catch one of these morons
>>> in the act and I'm going to roast 'em.
>>
>> How should they pay you for the damage if you aren't there?
>
> Easy... they take it up to the cashier on duty and pay for it. Just
> like they would have had they honestly wanted to buy it. My presence
> isn't required. That's what I and the other booth renter's pay
> Crafter's Market a monthly fee for.

Ok, I see how that works.

Well Mrs. J'Karrah, I think you have answered those questions to my
satisfaction; you are now free to go about your business. ;-)

Lord Flame Stryke

Nov 16, 2008, 8:18:30 PM11/16/08

>> Went down to check on my sales booth at Crafter's Market to see what
>> needed replacing or refilling and what do I find? Some total loser
>> had broken a horn off of this mini dragon
>> http://ebondragonart.com/periwinkle_purple_mini_dragon.html
> Do you think it was deliberate? People have to touch these things to
> look at properly.

Have you never heard the phrase "look with your eyes, not with your
hands"? Or the phrase "you break, you buy"?

>> and then proceeded to attempt to hide it by pushing it to the back of
>> the shelf and turning it so the missing horn wasn't readily visible.
> Well, better to have a non-broken one at the front than a broken one.

Better to own up to breaking it. Most shopkeepers, if you mistakenly
break something, will forgive you. If, however, you're too cowardly to
admit that you broke it, you shouldn't even be in the store in the first
place.

>> And this isn't the first time I've had to repair something some moron
>> has damaged and then snuck off. I swear, I catch one of these morons
>> in the act and I'm going to roast 'em.
> How should they pay you for the damage if you aren't there?

I've done it every time I break something in a store. I go to the clerk
and tell them what I broke (case in point, I dropped a glass bottle of
pop; I brought another to the till and said this is what I broke) or
wait until the clerk comes back and explain what happened. It's really
quite simple.

Lord Flame Stryke

--
[...]

Coach: Can I draw you a beer, Norm? Norm: No, I know what they look
like. Just pour me one. -- Cheers, No Help Wanted

J'Karrah

Nov 17, 2008, 12:57:06 PM11/17/08
On Nov 16, 8:15 pm, Simon Richard Clarkstone
<s.r.clarkst...@dunelm.org.uk> wrote:

> Well Mrs. J'Karrah, I think you have answered those questions to my
> satisfaction; you are now free to go about your business.  ;-)

Glad to have been of service :)

Simon Richard Clarkstone

Nov 23, 2008, 1:00:25 PM11/23/08
Lord Flame Stryke wrote:
> Simon Richard Clarkstone <s.r.cla...@dunelm.org.uk> wrote in

>>> My motto is "do unto others as they've done unto you". Thus, if
>>> people piss me off, I turn around and piss them off right back. If
>>> they haven't, then I go out of my way not to.
>> That relies on you being able to tell when people are trying to be
>> like that and when they are accidentally being like that, otherwise
>> every accident or misinterpretation causes a feud.
>
> If someone is truly not deliberately acting as such, it shows. Body
> language from people who make a mistake is easy to read.

Hmm. I see.