Reply to Xz (Re.: Lovely)

Targaff

Dec 4, 2001, 8:11:31 PM12/4/01
Someone brought the thread "Lovely" to my attention, so I figured I'd make
an effort to reply. Taking the points in pretty much reverse order: I do
actually occasionally lurk and post here, as evidenced by the existence of,
say, about 5 posts in the past month; and I'm shocked and astounded at being
called well-respected by Wyrm ;p But regarding the crux of the matter:

>*** You were kicked from #afd by Targaff (/\-= Boing indeed =-\/)
>-
>#afd can't join channel (address is banned)
>
>Reason:
>
>Xz> Boing
>Xz> Boing
>Xz> Boing
>Xz> Boing

It should be noted first off that you're probably the first person I've
kicked from #afd for several months, which I very much doubt could be
considered a real abuse of power, and it has to be said that no-one else who
was on the channel found it out of the ordinary, or indeed even made a
single comment about the action that was taken.

As can be seen from the above, the reason for the kick was that you were
flooding; to you it might well be only 20 characters, but double that and on
some systems you've just filled the channel window. I can only presume that
you've never been in a position where you've needed to monitor that sort of
thing yourself - it's effectively a case of damage limitation, and when
someone joins and immediately starts typing one line after another of what
would appear to be nonsense, then you take action. There was no greeting of
any sort before you carried out the above, and so there was no way to
distinguish you from anyone else who comes in and does the same thing. In
that situation, a kick will almost certainly result - not just in #afd,
generally - and I have no doubt that if I hadn't done it, someone else would
have.

Furthermore, as you noted yourself, it was only a 60 second ban - on you and
you alone, moreover, not on your entire ISP - which is the most I'll put on
anyone unless they're a persistent annoyance. Given that, it's hardly a
great inconvenience to you, and if you'd come back in and, say, apologised
or explained your actions instead of taking umbrage and acting in a
particularly childish manner - to quote yourself, you "jumped back in,
flipped Targaff the bird personally, and jumped back out again" - then you
hardly endeared yourself to anyone and just made yourself look daft.

I suggest next time if you have a problem with something that happens on
channel that you either take it up - seriously - with whomsoever it might be
that's annoyed you or in the channel directly; you might be surprised to
realise that generally we're quite a reasonable bunch. Instead you chose to
post your woes to a public newsgroup and have effectively done nothing but
show that you didn't think before you joined the channel and did what you
did.

If you wish to take issue with this further, you can usually find me on IRC
or you can e-mail me directly by taking "nothere" out of the e-mail address
given.

-- Targaff

Xz

Dec 5, 2001, 7:39:54 PM12/5/01
Targaff wrote in message ...

So in other words, you were in a bad mood, and I was a nice target. I have
never, ever been banned from anywhere for what I did, and it gets done quite
a lot. In fact, you could say it's my trademark on the MUCK, IRC etc.
Perhaps if I put everything on the same line, you wouldn't get so angry, but
it's not like I'll be going to #afd anymore anyway, as I'd much rather stay
somewhere that doesn't have such a draconian (har har) attitude to The Rules
(tm).

Enjoy the rest of your life. Hopefully I won't be part of it. Boing. Boing.
Boing. Boing.

--
Xz - awaiting a call from ab...@blueyonder.co.uk for this one!

Targaff

Dec 6, 2001, 6:19:48 PM12/6/01
"Xz" <spam...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in

> So in other words, you were in a bad mood, and I was a nice target.

Dear Xz,

You appear to have misunderstood two apparently quite clear concepts. One
was the part of my original posting which explained that "had I not done it,
I have no doubts someone else would". In fact, thinking back on it I
specifically seem to remember someone making a disparaging remark after the
fact about your actions, and I reiterate, not one person objected to
anything apart from your own actions. I don't know what sort of channel you
usually hang around with, but if that's what you do to fill the screen
there, the message:bandwidth ratio can't be particularly high (actually,
that's about right for the MUCK, judging by my own personal experience).
Your getting kicked had nothing to do with my being in a bad mood and
everything to do with your own actions.

Secondly, I did note that if you wanted to comment further you could contact
me either by e-mail or on IRC, since this isn't a newsgroup issue, apart
from you wanting a public forum in which to whinge, and it's not even a
channel issue, since your complaint is directly with me, so please in future
if you have a problem with someone specifically, direct your complaint to
them rather than throwing the online equivalent of a temper tantrum.

Get over it.

-- Targaff

Xz

Dec 6, 2001, 6:58:44 PM12/6/01
Targaff wrote in message ...
>"Xz" <spam...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> So in other words, you were in a bad mood, and I was a nice target.
>
>Dear Xz,

I think not.

>You appear to have misunderstood two apparently quite clear concepts. One
>was the part of my original posting which explained that "had I not done
it,
>I have no doubts someone else would".

Then why not pull back on the trigger finger to see if anyone else did?

> In fact, thinking back on it I
>specifically seem to remember someone making a disparaging remark after the
>fact about your actions, and I reiterate, not one person objected to
>anything apart from your own actions.

All the more reason to continue my previous course of action and never go
near #afd again. Too much back-stabbing. Jeez, if someone hates me they
could at least tell me to my face. What are they afraid of? They think I'm
going to reach through the computer and kick their virtual butt? Who is the
worse person? The one who pretends to like someone and secretly plots their
downfall, or the one who is quite open in their hatred?

Evidently #afd is a hangout for the former. Thankyou for the inadvertant
warning.

> I don't know what sort of channel you
>usually hang around with, but if that's what you do to fill the screen
>there, the message:bandwidth ratio can't be particularly high (actually,
>that's about right for the MUCK, judging by my own personal experience).

Yes, I think it's called "having fun." An alien concept perhaps, but there
nonetheless.

>Your getting kicked had nothing to do with my being in a bad mood and
>everything to do with your own actions.

Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing.

A kickable offense? Obviously so in #afd. Of course this rule must have come
in fairly recently, as it's never happened before. Perhaps you should make
the rules clear before making them up and enforcing them without warning on
people who are used to a slightly more free and easy atmosphere.

>Secondly, I did note that if you wanted to comment further you could
contact
>me either by e-mail or on IRC, since this isn't a newsgroup issue, apart
>from you wanting a public forum in which to whinge, and it's not even a
>channel issue, since your complaint is directly with me, so please in
future
>if you have a problem with someone specifically, direct your complaint to
>them rather than throwing the online equivalent of a temper tantrum.

Is this the person that replied to me, in a newsgroup? Telling me not to
reply in a newsgroup? Just after you effectively called me a childish prat,
in a newsgroup? Sorry, but no. I couldn't contact you via any other means
because I was banned from the IRC channel. If there was any way of doing so
then I assure you I would have chewed your head off privately. The newsgroup
was my only known means of contacting you at the time. You know my email
address. You could have just said something instead of a straight kick-ban.
You chose to post your reply in the newsgroup. Your choice. I'll make this
scene as big as you want it.

>Get over it.

Already have. You evidently haven't.

--
Xz

Wyrm

Dec 7, 2001, 4:44:39 AM12/7/01
Greetings.

"Xz" <spam...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Targaff wrote in message ...

> >I have no doubts someone else would".
> Then why not pull back on the trigger finger to see if anyone else did?

What would be the point of that? If everyone did that then no one would kick
anyone and the channel would be filled with spammers and disruptive comments
like so many other IRC channels are.

> > In fact, thinking back on it I
> >specifically seem to remember someone making a disparaging remark after
the
> >fact about your actions, and I reiterate, not one person objected to
> >anything apart from your own actions.
> All the more reason to continue my previous course of action and never go
> near #afd again. Too much back-stabbing. Jeez, if someone hates me they

That isn't back-stabbing.

> could at least tell me to my face. What are they afraid of? They think I'm
> going to reach through the computer and kick their virtual butt? Who is
the

No one said anything about hating you.

> > I don't know what sort of channel you
> >usually hang around with, but if that's what you do to fill the screen
> >there, the message:bandwidth ratio can't be particularly high (actually,
> >that's about right for the MUCK, judging by my own personal experience).
> Yes, I think it's called "having fun." An alien concept perhaps, but there
> nonetheless.

Your concept of having fun is not necessarily another person's. I,
personally, don't find typing Boing!, then using the cursor keys to repeat
that message a number of times fun!

> >Your getting kicked had nothing to do with my being in a bad mood and
> >everything to do with your own actions.
> Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing.
> A kickable offense? Obviously so in #afd. Of course this rule must have
come
> in fairly recently, as it's never happened before. Perhaps you should make

Yes, it is a kickable offence. You jumped straight into the channel and
without even pausing to take stock of what was being discussed you started
spamming. There are too many people on IRC who will join a channel simply to
disrupt it by doing exactly what you did.
Had you put it all on one line then you would have been fine. All others ask
is a little consideration.

> >if you have a problem with someone specifically, direct your complaint to
> >them rather than throwing the online equivalent of a temper tantrum.
> Is this the person that replied to me, in a newsgroup? Telling me not to
> reply in a newsgroup? Just after you effectively called me a childish
prat,
> in a newsgroup? Sorry, but no. I couldn't contact you via any other means
> because I was banned from the IRC channel. If there was any way of doing
so

Evidently you aren't very knowlegeable of IRC ... or your IRC client. You
can send private messages to others whether you are on a channel or not. You
could have sent a private message to Targaff asking why you were kicked, his
explanation and your (assumed) reply that you did not intend to spam would
probably have resulted in you being able to join the channel again and being
apologised to. However your sort of outburst on this newsgroup about this
incident only condemns you.

Now please, can we hear no more about this.
--
Wyrm: http://www.wyrm.org.uk/

DC2.DGmA+++!L700fW--T-PhlltCre'SksBflF~+++!R+++!Ac++NfS
J+++Fr+++!U+++!I++H++$M+"Arabella"O/V+++!Q---Tc++E

Dragon's, coming, out of the sea.
Shimmering silver head of wisdom looking at me.
Peter Gabriel - Genesis

Xz

Dec 7, 2001, 7:03:49 AM12/7/01

Wyrm wrote in message
<1007718218.26497....@news.demon.co.uk>...

>Greetings.
>
>"Xz" <spam...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Targaff wrote in message ...
>> >I have no doubts someone else would".
>> Then why not pull back on the trigger finger to see if anyone else did?
>
>What would be the point of that? If everyone did that then no one would
kick
>anyone and the channel would be filled with spammers and disruptive
comments
>like so many other IRC channels are.
>
>> > In fact, thinking back on it I
>> >specifically seem to remember someone making a disparaging remark after
>the
>> >fact about your actions, and I reiterate, not one person objected to
>> >anything apart from your own actions.
>> All the more reason to continue my previous course of action and never go
>> near #afd again. Too much back-stabbing. Jeez, if someone hates me they
>
>That isn't back-stabbing.

Then what is?

>> could at least tell me to my face. What are they afraid of? They think
I'm
>> going to reach through the computer and kick their virtual butt? Who is
>the
>
>No one said anything about hating you.
>
>> > I don't know what sort of channel you
>> >usually hang around with, but if that's what you do to fill the screen
>> >there, the message:bandwidth ratio can't be particularly high (actually,
>> >that's about right for the MUCK, judging by my own personal experience).
>> Yes, I think it's called "having fun." An alien concept perhaps, but
there
>> nonetheless.
>
>Your concept of having fun is not necessarily another person's. I,
>personally, don't find typing Boing!, then using the cursor keys to repeat
>that message a number of times fun!

Yet I've never seen you complain.

>> >Your getting kicked had nothing to do with my being in a bad mood and
>> >everything to do with your own actions.
>> Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing.
>> A kickable offense? Obviously so in #afd. Of course this rule must have
>come
>> in fairly recently, as it's never happened before. Perhaps you should
make

>Yes, it is a kickable offence.

Well - it is now anyway.

> You jumped straight into the channel and
>without even pausing to take stock of what was being discussed you started
>spamming. There are too many people on IRC who will join a channel simply
>disrupt it by doing exactly what you did.
>Had you put it all on one line then you would have been fine. All others
ask
>is a little consideration.

You know, that was kind of my point.

>> >if you have a problem with someone specifically, direct your complaint
>> >them rather than throwing the online equivalent of a temper tantrum.
>> Is this the person that replied to me, in a newsgroup? Telling me not to
>> reply in a newsgroup? Just after you effectively called me a childish
>prat,
>> in a newsgroup? Sorry, but no. I couldn't contact you via any other means
>> because I was banned from the IRC channel. If there was any way of doing
>so
>
>Evidently you aren't very knowlegeable of IRC ... or your IRC client. You
>can send private messages to others whether you are on a channel or not.

You mean the /msg <person> <text> command, which for some reason didn't
work.

> You
>could have sent a private message to Targaff asking why you were kicked,
his
>explanation and your (assumed) reply that you did not intend to spam would
>probably have resulted in you being able to join the channel again and
being
>apologised to. However your sort of outburst on this newsgroup about this
>incident only condemns you.

Sounds good to me. Where's the noose?

--
Xz

Deranged Dragon

Dec 7, 2001, 8:12:27 AM12/7/01
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 00:39:54 -0000, "Xz" <spam...@cableinet.co.uk>
wrote:

As someone once pointed out to me, all news groups are carried as
small points attached to the web, as a whole.Therefore, what one
person might do in this NG on a specific server, might not occur
somewhere else.Personally, I would wonder if this group had someone
actually in control.
If it does, that would tend to make me wonder what kind of control is
exercised here?

Wyrm

Dec 7, 2001, 8:45:46 AM12/7/01
Greetings.

"Deranged Dragon" <deranged...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> As someone once pointed out to me, all news groups are carried as
> small points attached to the web, as a whole.Therefore, what one
> person might do in this NG on a specific server, might not occur
> somewhere else.Personally, I would wonder if this group had someone
> actually in control.

Despite the fact that Xz was talking about an incident on an IRC cannel, not
on a newsgroup.
What one person posts to a newsgroup might not show up on some servers, but
a reply to that post might well do. However, this group is an unmoderated
group, so there is no one in control of it.

> If it does, that would tend to make me wonder what kind of control is
> exercised here?

You are responsible for your own control ... and the consequences thereof.

Gelgisith

Dec 7, 2001, 9:18:34 AM12/7/01
On Thursday, 6 December 12001, "Xz" <spam...@cableinet.co.uk> scrawled
the following message across the Holy Marbles. Upon discovering this
gruesome sacrilege the priests screeched, "We have lost our Marbles!"

> Targaff wrote in message ...
>> "Xz" <spam...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in

>>> So in other words, you were in a bad mood, and I was a nice target.
>> Dear Xz,

> I think not.

Why are you so hateful of yourself, Eggsy?

>> You appear to have misunderstood two apparently quite clear concepts. One
>> was the part of my original posting which explained that "had I not done
>> it, I have no doubts someone else would".

> Then why not pull back on the trigger finger to see if anyone else did?

And then what? You'd've gone & angered them by posting about it here. In
retrospect, i think he was right in doing so, especially after you "jump
back in, flip Targaff the bird personally, and jump back out again."
I know i've done so myself, but at least i had the courage to admit i
was wrong & apologize.

>> In fact, thinking back on it I
>> specifically seem to remember someone making a disparaging remark after
>> the fact about your actions, and I reiterate, not one person objected to
>> anything apart from your own actions.

> All the more reason to continue my previous course of action and never go
> near #afd again. Too much back-stabbing. Jeez, if someone hates me they
> could at least tell me to my face. What are they afraid of? They think I'm
> going to reach through the computer and kick their virtual butt? Who is the
> worse person? The one who pretends to like someone and secretly plots their
> downfall, or the one who is quite open in their hatred?

It's not a matter of hate. Disagreement, or even dislike does not equal
hate. Again, why so hateful of yourself?

> Evidently #afd is a hangout for the former. Thankyou for the inadvertant
> warning.

>> I don't know what sort of channel you
>> usually hang around with, but if that's what you do to fill the screen
>> there, the message:bandwidth ratio can't be particularly high (actually,
>> that's about right for the MUCK, judging by my own personal experience).

True for the clearing & more so with more & certain people around there.
OTOC, #afd sometimes seems decidedly dead. I mean, i've seen it happen
that half an hour goes by & nothing, absolutely nothing, is being said
or done... & not just once, but quite a lot. Personally, i prefer a
place that's a little more lively; yet another reason to prefer the
MUCK.

<snippers>

>> Secondly, I did note that if you wanted to comment further you could
>> contact me either by e-mail or on IRC, since this isn't a newsgroup
>> issue, apart from you wanting a public forum in which to whinge, and
>> it's not even a channel issue, since your complaint is directly with
>> me, so please in future if you have a problem with someone
>> specifically, direct your complaint to them rather than throwing the
>> online equivalent of a temper tantrum.

> Is this the person that replied to me, in a newsgroup? Telling me not to
> reply in a newsgroup? Just after you effectively called me a childish prat,
> in a newsgroup?

You have a point there... Then again, you chose to make it a public
matter.

> Sorry, but no. I couldn't contact you via any other means
> because I was banned from the IRC channel. If there was any way of doing so
> then I assure you I would have chewed your head off privately. The newsgroup
> was my only known means of contacting you at the time.

Nonsense. You could have asked peeps here, on the MUCK, or via e-mail
for his e-mail address.

> You know my email address.

Which looks like it's spambaited, or belongs to a spammer, or to a 1337
|-|4<|<0r.

> You could have just said something instead of a straight kick-ban.
> You chose to post your reply in the newsgroup. Your choice. I'll make
> this scene as big as you want it.

Is it so hard to admit you were wrong?

>> Get over it.

> Already have.

Doesn't look like it...

--
Jan Dijkman (Gelgisith's human alter ego) jah...@wanadoo.nl
61% Dragon, 40% weird

"I wish that I could fly, Into the sky, So very high...
Like a Dragonfly" Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

Tamf Moo

Dec 7, 2001, 1:31:06 PM12/7/01
"Wyrm" <af...@wyrm.demon.co.uk> screamed from the top of the volcano:

>> If it does, that would tend to make me wonder what kind of control is
>> exercised here?

>You are responsible for your own control ... and the consequences thereof.

spluttering sparklies!

for ages now i've thought that someone, somewhere, had at lest a smidgen of
control over Wyrm. but now that seems not the case. help! what do we do if he
decides to devour us all the very next hour? say your prayers, alfandrans!

--
~ Tamfiiris C. M. b-x Gloruloke ~

Your position will fall into your hands who prepared yourself
better. It will come true.

R...@reply-to.address

Dec 7, 2001, 2:43:54 PM12/7/01
Quoth Tamf Moo <gnu...@oink.co.uk>:
[munch]
>spluttering sparklies!

Nice interjection! I'll have to remember that one. *grin*

>for ages now i've thought that someone, somewhere, had at lest a smidgen
>of control over Wyrm. but now that seems not the case. help! what do we
>do if he decides to devour us all the very next hour? say your prayers,
>alfandrans!

Someone call the cheesecake manufacturing companies!
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) ~~ Rai ~~ O .---. . F
| \ \ o / O> \/| i
\ `^--^ DC2.De Gm L W-- T Phflt Sks Cbk,sbk o \_. /\| s
\ \ \ Bwi A Fr++ M R Ac J++ I-- V Q++ Tc+ `---' ` h
ksj ^--^ _________________________________________________________

Targaff

Dec 7, 2001, 9:26:45 PM12/7/01
I apologise for continuing this with another post; hopefully this will be my
last on the matter.

>if someone hates me they could at least tell me to my face.

It's not about you, personally, and the only person who is taking it
personally is you. Nor is it about hatred - anyone who joined the channel
would be treated in an equal fashion. Sorry to burst your bubble.

>Perhaps you should make the rules clear before making them up and
>enforcing them without warning on people who are used to a slightly
>more free and easy atmosphere.

It's not a rule, it's common sense and familiarity with IRC.

>>your complaint is directly with me, so please in future if you have
>>a problem with someone specifically, direct your complaint to them
>>rather than throwing the online equivalent of a temper tantrum.
>
>Is this the person that replied to me, in a newsgroup? Telling me not
>to reply in a newsgroup?

Yes. You criticise me publicly without justification, I reply explaining
what happened and specifically asking you to contact me directly if you wish
to continue the matter, and yet you completely ignore this and perpetuate
your complaint in public? I think it underlines that you're determined to
ignore the actual facts of the matter in order to continue to portray
yourself as the aggrieved party.

>I couldn't contact you via any other means because I was banned from
>the IRC channel.

If I may quote from my own reply:

:If you wish to take issue with this further, you can usually find me

:on IRC or you can e-mail me directly by taking "nothere" out of the
:e-mail address given.

The e-mail address given was "tar...@nothere.bazza.com", and surprisingly,
my e-mail address is tar...@bazza.com; I can't see how you can possibly
claim that you had no way of contacting me. Furthermore, as you yourself
pointed out, at the time of the incident you were only banned from the
channel for a very short duration, and you then chose to return to the
channel and act in a childish manner. You might be surprised to note that I
did actually see this and would have been perfectly able to see any other,
maybe more mature message you might have had.

As for why /msg didn't work, that was not anything of my doing.

>You chose to post your reply in the newsgroup. Your choice.

No, *you* chose to post to a newsgroup, with no justification whatsoever.
Considering you accuse others of backstabbing, this in the circumstances is
about as close to the online version of "talking behind someone's back" as
you can get, since I wouldn't have even been aware of your complaint if
someone else hadn't brought it to my attention.

If you want to contact me - and to be frank, I genuinely doubt you do - I am
as always available on IRC, or via e-mail, with my address being
tar...@bazza.com. If you *really* want to contact me, my phone number is
01257 274097. Ask for Graham (evenings preferably, I'm out during the day)
and I'd be happy to elucidate further on matters. I have always been and
continue to be available for contact by anyone who wants to talk to me in
one form or another; please don't confuse - or twist - your own mistakes to
suit your own needs.

>I'll make this scene as big as you want it.
>
>>Get over it.
>
>Already have. You evidently haven't.

I suggest you read those last three sentences and play "spot the
contradiction".

-- Targaff (tar...@bazza.com)

Targaff

Dec 7, 2001, 9:37:16 PM12/7/01

>>Your concept of having fun is not necessarily another person's. I,
>>personally, don't find typing Boing!, then using the cursor keys to
>>repeat that message a number of times fun!
>
> Yet I've never seen you complain.

The circumstances under which is happens otherwise aren't the same, and the
MUCK is probably more "open" to that kind of thing, if you will, than IRC
is, partly because of its very nature. However, Wyrm stamps down harder on
other things than I necessarily would - notably profanity springs to mind,
from personal experience ;p - and since I spend much of my time on IRC, most
of the things which I'm aware of are those which could potentially cause
trouble in an IRC channel.

-- Targaff

Deranged Dragon

Dec 7, 2001, 11:06:15 PM12/7/01

Obviously this Xz poster has no intention of doing anything even
remotely to be considered 'good form'.
IMHO, Xz will continue to pop in here, post something childish, and
then pop out; simply because he/she/it can do so.
If someone has the power to 'boot' Xz from this NG, I would suggest
that that person refrain from doing so.
Censorship, in any form, is not conduvcive to forming any kind of good
relationship with anyone.
I would suggest, however, that if you dont want to see what Xz posts,
then simply use your killfile (which is something I have yet to figure
out how to use - and may not really be interested in using(.

R...@reply-to.address

Dec 8, 2001, 7:31:10 AM12/8/01
Quoth deranged...@netscape.net (Deranged Dragon):
[munch]

>If someone has the power to 'boot' Xz from this NG, I would suggest
>that that person refrain from doing so.

It's a public, unmoderated forum. Provided one is operating within
the AUP of one's ISP, there is no way to "remove" someone from this
sort of newsgroup. Nor, AFAIK, was there any suggestion at all this
might happen. Please don't further complicate this issue by posting
irrelevancies. It's unpleasant enough as it is. :=8/

Quelonzia Stormdancer

Dec 8, 2001, 4:59:39 PM12/8/01
On 5 Dec 2001 01:11:31 GMT, Targaff <tar...@nothere.bazza.com>
pondered, and then scribbled:

>Someone brought the thread "Lovely" to my attention, so I figured I'd make
>an effort to reply. Taking the points in pretty much reverse order: I do
>actually occasionally lurk and post here, as evidenced by the existence of,
>say, about 5 posts in the past month; and I'm shocked and astounded at being
>called well-respected by Wyrm ;p But regarding the crux of the matter:
>
>>*** You were kicked from #afd by Targaff (/\-= Boing indeed =-\/)
>>-
>>#afd can't join channel (address is banned)
>>
>>Reason:
>>
>>Xz> Boing
>>Xz> Boing
>>Xz> Boing
>>Xz> Boing
>
>It should be noted first off that you're probably the first person I've
>kicked from #afd for several months, which I very much doubt could be
>considered a real abuse of power, and it has to be said that no-one else who
>was on the channel found it out of the ordinary, or indeed even made a
>single comment about the action that was taken.
>
>As can be seen from the above, the reason for the kick was that you were
>flooding;

Hrmmm...#afd must have changed quite a bit. I thought everyone was
always given a warning before they were kicked? And if such is the
channel's usual mode, it's not surprising that no one in-channel found
it out of the ordinary. However, to someone who was unaware that
their actions would get them kicked, it would come as quite a shock.

Just an observation...

*snuggles*

Quelonzia Stormdancer
--
' '
( ) "...And as full of wonder in this ancient age,

Quelonzia Stormdancer

Dec 8, 2001, 5:03:32 PM12/8/01
On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 13:12:27 GMT, deranged...@netscape.net
(Deranged Dragon) pondered, and then scribbled:

>As someone once pointed out to me, all news groups are carried as
>small points attached to the web, as a whole.Therefore, what one
>person might do in this NG on a specific server, might not occur
>somewhere else.Personally, I would wonder if this group had someone
>actually in control.
>If it does, that would tend to make me wonder what kind of control is
>exercised here?

None of the newsgroups in the alt.* hierarchy are moderated. In
essense, we each control only ourselves. There are ISPs that will not
carry some or all of the alt.* groups, however. I suppose you could
say that those ISPs are in control. ;)

*huggles*

Deranged Dragon

Dec 8, 2001, 6:02:14 PM12/8/01

Irrelevancies? My friend, I invented the Irrelevant bus, and as such
am the only Dragon with the skills required to drive it.
Care for some Greenberry pie, maybe with some chocolate stars on the
side?

R...@reply-to.address

Dec 8, 2001, 7:36:32 PM12/8/01
Quoth quel...@stormdancer.net (Quelonzia Stormdancer):
[munch]

>None of the newsgroups in the alt.* hierarchy are moderated.

There are a few moderated alt.* groups, FWIW. They generally keep
fairly quiet, though, and we never see them in crossposted spam,
naturally. :=8)

R...@reply-to.address

Dec 8, 2001, 7:37:58 PM12/8/01
Quoth deranged...@netscape.net (Deranged Dragon):
>R...@reply-to.address wrote:
[munch]

>>Please don't further complicate this issue by posting
>>irrelevancies. It's unpleasant enough as it is. :=8/
>
>Irrelevancies? My friend, I invented the Irrelevant bus, and as such
>am the only Dragon with the skills required to drive it.

Maybe, but I can learn, because... I have the manual! Nyah! Now I
can drive the irrelevant bus, too!

>Care for some Greenberry pie, maybe with some chocolate stars on the
>side?

Actually, that sounds like a fair ransom. ;=8)

*hands back the book and snaffles some of the pie*

Targaff

Dec 8, 2001, 9:06:35 PM12/8/01
quel...@stormdancer.net (Quelonzia Stormdancer) wrote in

> Hrmmm...#afd must have changed quite a bit. I thought everyone was
> always given a warning before they were kicked?

Yes and no, really? It depends on what sort of nuisance it is, I think:
people who are just generally annoying and irritating to the majority are
usually asked and then warned (or humoured until it's no longer humorous, of
course - the cry "don't play with your food!" was once an oft-heard cry,
IIRC ;); and people who advertise don't generally hang around long enough to
have anything happen, since they've got their webpage/channel advertised
already so there's no reason to remain - other channels to spam, of course!

That essentially makes flooding *the* main nuisance to a channel, because
it's disruptive to everyone; as for how to deal with it, it depends on how
willing you are to let it go on before acting, I guess. Others might let it
go on for a few moments longer, but from past experience I've found that the
best way to stop it is to nip it in the bud; in that sense, it ends up being
a judgement call, and evidently in this particular case it was wrong,
however I must stress that it is the first time that's ever happened, at
least to me personally, so...

Still, it was nice to see you there the other day, albeit briefly :) Hope I
didn't scare you too much *grin*

-- Targaff - wondering now if Dal and Donwulff are going to offer their
opinions on the matter ;p

Quelonzia Stormdancer

Dec 9, 2001, 12:06:27 AM12/9/01
On 9 Dec 2001 02:06:35 GMT, Targaff <tar...@nothere.bazza.com>
pondered, and then scribbled:

>Still, it was nice to see you there the other day, albeit briefly :) Hope I
>didn't scare you too much *grin*

Targles, it was a pure unadulterated pleasure to see you the other
night on the channel...don't even think for a minute it wasn't. :)

>-- Targaff - wondering now if Dal and Donwulff are going to offer their
>opinions on the matter ;p

I hope you don't mind my offering an opinion. I just thought it might
help explain why someone would feel a bit hurt, and react to that. In
fact, I believe that was originally the thinking behind the "Warn
first" rule. <g>

Although, it would be great to see Dal or Donnie offer up ANY post
here! ;>

*snuggles*

Quelonzia Stormdancer, who had to use the nick Lonzia on dalnet, cuz
someone liked her name so much they took it ;)

Quelonzia Stormdancer

Dec 9, 2001, 12:11:36 AM12/9/01
On Sun, 09 Dec 2001 00:36:32 GMT, R...@reply-to.address pondered, and
then scribbled:

>Quoth quel...@stormdancer.net (Quelonzia Stormdancer):
>[munch]
>>None of the newsgroups in the alt.* hierarchy are moderated.
>
>There are a few moderated alt.* groups, FWIW. They generally keep
>fairly quiet, though, and we never see them in crossposted spam,
>naturally. :=8)

Really? Wow. I always thought that the reason for alt.* groups
existing was to have them unmoderated. <G> Shows you how much I know!
(Everything about Usenet that I learned over the last 6 years, I
learned here, cuz I never go anywhere else! ;)

*ExtraHuggles* :)

Tamf Moo

Dec 9, 2001, 11:01:36 AM12/9/01
quel...@stormdancer.net (Quelonzia Stormdancer) screamed from the top of
the volcano:

>Really? Wow. I always thought that the reason for alt.* groups

>existing was to have them unmoderated. <G> Shows you how much I know!

the main reason for the alt.* hierarchy was to have a place which was less
restricted, more alternative than the big 5. so alt.* groups can be created
at a whim, and often are, although many fall into oblivion pretty fast.

since it's such a place for experimentation, it doesn't surprise me that
there also exist alt.* groups under moderation - even if i agree, it does
sound a bit odd.

--
~ Tamfiiris C. M. b-x Gloruloke ~

Lbh ner jvfr, jvggl, naq jbaqreshy, ohg lbh fcraq gbb zhpu gvzr
ernqvat guvf fbeg bs genfu.

Deranged Dragon

Dec 9, 2001, 3:44:58 PM12/9/01

thanks for the manual............have some more pies.

Pyros Rutilicus

Dec 9, 2001, 8:55:03 PM12/9/01
On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 18:31:06 GMT. Tamf Moo <gnu...@oink.co.uk> hissed:

> "Wyrm" <af...@wyrm.demon.co.uk> screamed from the top of the volcano:
>
>>> If it does, that would tend to make me wonder what kind of control is
>>> exercised here?
>
>>You are responsible for your own control ... and the consequences
>>thereof.
>
> spluttering sparklies!
>
> for ages now i've thought that someone, somewhere, had at lest a
> smidgen of control over Wyrm. but now that seems not the case. help!
> what do we do if he decides to devour us all the very next hour?

...try our best in the probably-futile attempt to give him indigestion?

--
Pyros Rutilicus
---------------

Quelonzia Stormdancer

Dec 9, 2001, 10:56:37 PM12/9/01
On 10 Dec 2001 01:55:03 GMT, Pyros Rutilicus
<pyr...@chasethedragonSPAM.comORIWILLEATYOU> pondered, and then
scribbled:

>On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 18:31:06 GMT. Tamf Moo <gnu...@oink.co.uk> hissed:
>
>> "Wyrm" <af...@wyrm.demon.co.uk> screamed from the top of the volcano:

>>>You are responsible for your own control ... and the consequences
>>>thereof.
>>
>> spluttering sparklies!
>>
>> for ages now i've thought that someone, somewhere, had at lest a
>> smidgen of control over Wyrm. but now that seems not the case. help!
>> what do we do if he decides to devour us all the very next hour?
>
>...try our best in the probably-futile attempt to give him indigestion?

...or clean up in there. I'd say after everything he eats, he needs a
good tummy cleaning...from the inside! ;)

*huggles*

Quelonzia Stormdancer, not volunteering <g>

Wyrm

Dec 10, 2001, 4:38:05 AM12/10/01
Greetings.

"Quelonzia Stormdancer" <quel...@stormdancer.net> wrote in message

> On 10 Dec 2001 01:55:03 GMT, Pyros Rutilicus
> <pyr...@chasethedragonSPAM.comORIWILLEATYOU> pondered, and then
> scribbled:
> >On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 18:31:06 GMT. Tamf Moo <gnu...@oink.co.uk> hissed:
> >> "Wyrm" <af...@wyrm.demon.co.uk> screamed from the top of the volcano:

> >> for ages now i've thought that someone, somewhere, had at lest a
> >> smidgen of control over Wyrm. but now that seems not the case. help!
> >> what do we do if he decides to devour us all the very next hour?
> >...try our best in the probably-futile attempt to give him indigestion?
> ...or clean up in there. I'd say after everything he eats, he needs a
> good tummy cleaning...from the inside! ;)

Well now. You see, if I were to go around devouring anything and everything
that appeared on the horizon, it would soon get more and more difficult to
find tasty tidbits.
Of course, this self-control can also be reinforced with liberal offerings
of cheesecake. :8)

Pyros Rutilicus

Dec 10, 2001, 5:12:47 AM12/10/01
On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:38:05 GMT. "Wyrm" <af...@wyrm.demon.co.uk> hissed:

>>>...try our best in the probably-futile attempt to give him indigestion?
>> ...or clean up in there. I'd say after everything he eats, he needs a
>> good tummy cleaning...from the inside! ;)
>
> Well now. You see, if I were to go around devouring anything and
> everything that appeared on the horizon, it would soon get more and
> more difficult to find tasty tidbits.
> Of course, this self-control can also be reinforced with liberal
> offerings of cheesecake. :8)

*liberally offers cheesecake*
*waits for the "YUM!"*

Wyrm

Dec 10, 2001, 9:51:38 AM12/10/01
Greetings.

"Pyros Rutilicus" <pyr...@chasethedragonSPAM.comORIWILLEATYOU> wrote in
message news:Xns9173356D02C52py...@18.181.0.25...

> On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:38:05 GMT. "Wyrm" <af...@wyrm.demon.co.uk> hissed:

> > Well now. You see, if I were to go around devouring anything and
> > everything that appeared on the horizon, it would soon get more and
> > more difficult to find tasty tidbits.
> > Of course, this self-control can also be reinforced with liberal
> > offerings of cheesecake. :8)
> *liberally offers cheesecake*

YUM!

> *waits for the "YUM!"*

There's nothing so good for eliciting a YUM as cheesecake! :8)

Deranged Dragon

Dec 10, 2001, 6:37:16 PM12/10/01
Is that strawberry Cheesecake?

Arcturax

Dec 23, 2001, 10:29:02 PM12/23/01
In article <Xns917118F3...@195.92.193.157>, Targaff
<tar...@nothere.bazza.com> wrote:

Don't sweat it Targaff, you did the right thing, especially given who
you are dealing with. He pulls this crap on the MUCK constantly,
harassing people with lots of alt characters and globals when they
complain against him. Probably best to just ignore him here and ban him
where you can if he acts up again that is, I've found that is the best
way to get rid of him on the MUCK when he is being bothersome there too.
Most likely it will work for #afd as well. (I dunno how things work
there as I only am on the MUCK and NG realms of AFD)

--
Arcturax the Egyptian Fruitbat
To email me, replace seemysig with the word "mac"

Arcturax

Dec 23, 2001, 10:18:36 PM12/23/01
In article <3c128a88...@news.csu.net>, quel...@stormdancer.net
wrote:

> >It should be noted first off that you're probably the first person I've
> >kicked from #afd for several months, which I very much doubt could be
> >considered a real abuse of power, and it has to be said that no-one else
> >who
> >was on the channel found it out of the ordinary, or indeed even made a
> >single comment about the action that was taken.
> >
> >As can be seen from the above, the reason for the kick was that you were
> >flooding;
>

> Hrmmm...#afd must have changed quite a bit. I thought everyone was
> always given a warning before they were kicked? And if such is the
> channel's usual mode, it's not surprising that no one in-channel found
> it out of the ordinary. However, to someone who was unaware that
> their actions would get them kicked, it would come as quite a shock.

If anyone could get kicked off without a warning, it would be Xz. He
does this crap on the MUCK too.

Arcturax

Dec 23, 2001, 10:32:36 PM12/23/01
In article <3c10c1a1...@news-server.kscable.com>,
deranged...@netscape.net (Deranged Dragon) wrote:

> If it does, that would tend to make me wonder what kind of control is
> exercised here?

The newsgroup has no moderator or controller. Some might try to act
like it (I won't mention names) but in reality there is no one who
"rules" here or is the "admin". We act here as a majority. If someone
is "banned" we just killfile and ignore them till they go away. It
works remarkably well, no admin needed :)

Arcturax

Dec 23, 2001, 10:42:39 PM12/23/01
In article <Xns91711ABB...@195.92.193.157>, Targaff
<tar...@nothere.bazza.com> wrote:

Hmm whatever did happen to... (I'm not complaning at you Targaff, just
making a general statement, I know, Xz is the one who dragged it over
here) what happens on IRC stays on IRC, what happens on the NG stays on
the NG.... what happens on the Mile Stays on the MIle... Everyone gets
the point *grins*

Xz

Dec 24, 2001, 10:35:38 AM12/24/01
Arcturax wrote in message ...

<snip abusive crap>

Wow, guess who's had a hormone rush? Do you really think I'm going to let
something like this go? I suggest you follow your own advice - I haven't
paged, teleported into, or even wanted to be remotely near you since you
decided you hate me. Perhaps you should do the same thing and stay away from
arguments you obviously know nothing about? While you're at it, could you
kindly stop with jumping into the clearing and dropping sniping remarks
because I happen to be there? What with that, you and your "gang's" general
behaviour, and three newsgroup posts days, even weeks after the event trying
desperately to get everyone else on your little crusade, I'd say that you
are harassing me.

Fortunately for me, I can enjoy such attention, and will not be requiring
the help of a wizard or administrator to wipe the floor with you. I'll even
take you all on if you so desire. Now drop it and stay the hell away from
me; I do not make threats.

--
Xz - just when you think there's a silver lining, someone or some people
drop this kind of crap. Merry Christmas one and all.

Xz

Dec 24, 2001, 10:40:05 AM12/24/01
Arcturax wrote in message ...

>If anyone could get kicked off without a warning, it would be Xz. He

>does this crap on the MUCK too.

And so far, you are the only person to complain. If I'd even been remotely
aware of people that didn't want this stuff, I'd stop. If you're going to
make a scene, please take a lesson from me and do it properly or you will
make (and already have made) yourself look like a bitter fool with a
vendetta.

--
Xz

Xz

Dec 24, 2001, 10:59:37 AM12/24/01
Arcturax wrote in message ...

Wow, my leetness proceeds me.

> He pulls this crap on the MUCK constantly,

Constantly? How constantly? Just how often are you in the same place as me?
I'd think it's not very often, and even less often since you started your
three-against-one feud.

>harassing people with lots of alt characters

I'd call laughter a symptom of harassment, wouldn't you?

> and globals when they
>complain against him.

Why the hell would I want to hug someone who hates me? Unless I was giving
them everything back with venom?

> Probably best to just ignore him here and ban him
>where you can if he acts up again that is,

Oh, only if I act up again, of course. And you never do that, do you?

> I've found that is the best
>way to get rid of him on the MUCK when he is being bothersome there too.

My god.. do you realise that the reason I don't say much to you is quite
possibly because after all my effort at patching up the hole that seems to
have appeared, I have lost all hope of ever doing so? Arc, you will be glad
to hear that thanks to your actions, I officially hate your guts, especially
after a couple of nights ago when you even engaged me in conversation quite
pleasantly. Then you pull this.

I do not wish to see you. I do not wish to be near you. I hope I never meet
you. You don't need to ignore me at all as I would never want to say
anything to you that wasn't a flaming ball of venom. Do you realise why you
ignoring me works? Because I have no desire to talk to you at all, fucknut!
Now stop harassing me!

>Most likely it will work for #afd as well.

Unlikely, since I'm not likey to be there.

> (I dunno how things work
>there as I only am on the MUCK and NG realms of AFD)

Well thank heavens for small mercies.

--
Xz

Arcturax

Dec 25, 2001, 12:27:01 PM12/25/01
In article <a07i0b$jb9qv$1...@ID-56787.news.dfncis.de>, "Xz"
<spam...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Fortunately for me, I can enjoy such attention, and will not be requiring
> the help of a wizard or administrator to wipe the floor with you. I'll
> even
> take you all on if you so desire. Now drop it and stay the hell away from
> me; I do not make threats.

LOL

R...@reply-to.address

Dec 30, 2001, 6:11:42 PM12/30/01
[From the Vaults]

Quoth quel...@stormdancer.net (Quelonzia Stormdancer):

>R...@reply-to.address pondered, and then scribbled:

[munch]

>>There are a few moderated alt.* groups, FWIW. They generally keep
>>fairly quiet, though, and we never see them in crossposted spam,
>>naturally. :=8)
>
>Really?

Would I lie to you? O:=8)

>Wow. I always thought that the reason for alt.* groups existing
>was to have them unmoderated. <G> Shows you how much I know!

The real reason for the alt.* heirarchy was to avoid the red-tape of
setting up a group in the Big 8 (rec.*, sci.*, comp.*, soc.* et al.),
as Tamf pointed out a while back. Within those confines, almost
anything is possible -- as alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die proved.
:=8)

>(Everything about Usenet that I learned over the last 6 years, I
>learned here, cuz I never go anywhere else! ;)

If AFD is the only place one visits, what goes on outside is almost
irrelevant, unless there's a truly gargantuan event occurring. I'm
not aware of any recent Usenet shockwaves that were /that/ big --
perhaps just as well!

>*ExtraHuggles* :)

Always happy to receive those. :=8)