writing your own ad&d stories.

1 view

speech

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00

Tell me, if an enthusiest such as moi were to write ad&d stories,
purely for the entertainment value, using characters and settings that
are obviously copyrighted by tsr, then were to post to newsgroups for
critical feed back, do you think the original authors would get anoyed
??

has anyone done this and been told to cease and desist by the authors
??

here i am

Margaret Weis

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
I believe that the DL Mailing List is running a contest for Fan Fiction.
the links.

Margaret

In article <38773f9...@news.wantree.com.au>, spe...@dl.com.tw

Weldon Chen

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00

speech wrote:

> Tell me, if an enthusiest such as moi were to write ad&d stories,
> purely for the entertainment value, using characters and settings that
> are obviously copyrighted by tsr, then were to post to newsgroups for
> critical feed back, do you think the original authors would get anoyed
> ??

I think the authors would have to express their opinion themselves.

Frankly, as fan-fiction, you will unfortunately be scrutinized by some
fans here who will very easily yell at you for being very undragonlance.
You are hereby warned. If you write about Raistlin, and he's all
gooshie and pacifistic and "group-hugging" while during the War of the
Lance, well, you'll get criticism because the authors know their
characters best. If you hand Laurana going insane and butchering baby
silver dragons everywhere she goes, you'll get the same effect.
Offhand if the copyrighted characters were cameo roles which don't
altogether change their nature, i don't think anyone would mind.

Dragonlance already has a convention called "the kender tale" where some
stories just seem more unbelievable over time. These includes comic
book stories, outlandish books, and stories that TSR has published. So
I assume that TSR won't do anything more than simply ignore the
existence of your story, if it didn't like it. The fans will likely do
the same.

And I don't think TSR would mind. I once wrote this story about a
draconian accidently summoned to Gencon '92 (or was it '94)and needed to
talk to the Gods of Krynn, (i.e. TSR writing staff). Margaret was
Takhisis, Tracy was Paladine, Jeff Grubb was Reorx, etc. etc. etc. etc.
And the story did involve another draconian seeking to assassinate the
Gods. At worse, I would think Margaret would be insulted to be refered
to as the Dark Queen, but I don't THINK i've insulted Her, or at least I
hope not.

Granak Red-Silver
Sivak

Darren J. Bellisle

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00
I've been carving out a DL story off and on for some time now (more off than
on) about Dalamar's Test (and at the rate it's going, I fear an *authentic*
story on the same topic will be published before I finish it...). I was told
by an online writing workshop that the good folk at TSR are fanatics about
NOT letting anyone write stories in their game worlds or about their
characters unless they're hired to by TSR.

I *did* post one story to the ng many years ago: TSR never said boo to me
about it, and a couple of people got permission from me to post it on their
websites, so perhaps it wouldn't be such a horrendous thing. I doubt
TSR/WotC spends a ton of time hunting down renegade stories; as long as you
don't try to generate $$$ from whatever you write, all should be well.

Waiting to audition for the part of Raistlin,
Darren

Bellana Majere

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00
>At worse, I would think Margaret would be insulted to be refered
>to as the Dark Queen, but I don't THINK i've insulted Her, or at least I
>hope not.

*Laughs* Margaret as the Dark Queen. Now THERE'S an idea for ya.. I
don't think she'll be offended, since she's got a sense of humor, but
I'd make sure you keep up the sacrifices to her, just in case. ;)

- Bellana

LrdFinlay

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00
>*Laughs* Margaret as the Dark Queen. Now THERE'S an idea for ya.. I
>don't think she'll be offended, since she's got a sense of humor, but
>I'd make sure you keep up the sacrifices to her, just in case. ;)

you mean she's not!?!? I, uh, gotta go take down my alter now.... and maybe
apolagize for sacrificing that thing I saw that looked remarkably like a gully
dwarf. ;-)

~Lord Finlay

"He smiled, no longer afraid. Caramon was here. The pain eased. The dream was
driven back. From far away, he heard a wail of bitter disapointment and anger.
It didn't matter. Nothing mattered anymore. Now he just felt tired." -W&H, ToT

Larris Magpie

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00
"Darren J. Bellisle" <djb...@terracom.net> wrote:

>I've been carving out a DL story off and on for some time now (more off than
>on) about Dalamar's Test (and at the rate it's going, I fear an *authentic*
>story on the same topic will be published before I finish it...).

Such is the way of the universe.

You think you have found a nice cozy little spot of Krynn to make your
own, then Wham Bang comes "official" material to cover.

I'm sure a whole lot of DL players playing the original modules were
very disappointed with Legends and the corresponding DLA when those
were released. ;)

>I was told
>by an online writing workshop that the good folk at TSR are fanatics about
>NOT letting anyone write stories in their game worlds or about their
>characters unless they're hired to by TSR.

I'm afraid the writing workshop people's information is a little
outdated. TSR's online policy could at one time (three-four years ago)
have been interpreted as pretty draconian, if you'll excuse the pun.
Now you're free to do almost whatever you want as long as you DON'T
PROFIT FROM IT. TSR/WotC naturally reserves the rights to earn money
from their trademarks.

>I doubt
>TSR/WotC spends a ton of time hunting down renegade stories; as long as you
>don't try to generate $$$ from whatever you write, all should be well.

Pretty much, yes.
Obviously it should be made clear that this is not official material,
etc. Be nice about it. Try to look up the current legal stuff from
www.wizards.com to be on the safe side, but rest assured you won't
find anything there to stop you.

Good luck.

--
Larris "If darkness is merely the absence of light,
Like evil, they say, is the absence of love;

Craig J. Ries

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
to alt.fan.d...@list.deja.com
Margaret Weis wrote:

> I believe that the DL Mailing List is running a contest for Fan Fiction.
> the links.
>
> Margaret

Heh, both of my stories that are out there on the DL Netbook (still
floating about) have basis on existing characters.
One of 'em have the 2nd Generation Majere brothers... was nice to try and
give a bit of personality to characters that many think were wasted *eyes
Tracy and Margaret* At any rate, you're not out to make a profit (hopefully),
and with WotC owning TSR now, their policies are alot more lax, in that you
can go and write fan fiction and put it on the net, even with existing
characters and such.

WildChild, Craig J. Ries

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Craig J. Ries

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
to alt.fan.d...@list.deja.com
"Darren J. Bellisle" wrote:

> I've been carving out a DL story off and on for some time now (more off than
> on) about Dalamar's Test (and at the rate it's going, I fear an *authentic*
> story on the same topic will be published before I finish it...).

Well, friend, you're a bit late... as we speak, messages are being tossed
around on Nancy Berberick's novel on the better part of Dalamar's life entitled
"Dalamar the Dark". Not sure if it includes his Test tho, you'd have to ask her
;)

> I was told
> by an online writing workshop that the good folk at TSR are fanatics about
> NOT letting anyone write stories in their game worlds or about their
> characters unless they're hired to by TSR.

TSR may have been. However, since TSR was purchased (and assimilated) by
WotC, the policy isn't nearly as strict. It seems now, especially since one
*fan* website is the official site for Ravenloft, that as long as you're not out
to make a profit, you can put your own characters, rules, stories, game material
and such out there, mentioning whatever you want.

> I doubt TSR/WotC spends a ton of time hunting down renegade stories; as long
> as you don't try to generate $$$ from whatever you write, all should be well.

WotC more or less has been encouraging fan fiction and such. Currently there
is a contest on the DL mailing list (goto www.wizards.com to find out how to
sign up if you like) for DL fan fiction that is being allowed by the folks at
WotC.

Asuka Langley-Sohryu

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00

> you mean she's not!?!? I, uh, gotta go take down my alter now.... and
maybe
> apolagize for sacrificing that thing I saw that looked remarkably like a
gully
> dwarf. ;-)

hehehehehe
Why bother, maybe if we can sacrifice enough gully dwarves and kender we
can actually deitify her ;)

Bellana Majere

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
>hehehehehe
>Why bother, maybe if we can sacrifice enough gully dwarves and kender we
>can actually deitify her ;)

Or get rid of some extra gully dwarves and kender. Either way, it
seems like a great idea. Maybe a mass sacrifice as a petition to the
gods to allow Margaret into their ranks..

- Bell

Asuka Langley-Sohryu

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00

> Or get rid of some extra gully dwarves and kender. Either way, it
> seems like a great idea. Maybe a mass sacrifice as a petition to the
> gods to allow Margaret into their ranks..

so..... When do we start? ;)

Paxina Thistleknot

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00

Bellana Majere <bel...@innocent.com> wrote in message

> >hehehehehe
> >Why bother, maybe if we can sacrifice enough gully dwarves and kender we
> >can actually deitify her ;)
>
> Or get rid of some extra gully dwarves and kender. Either way, it
> seems like a great idea. Maybe a mass sacrifice as a petition to the
> gods to allow Margaret into their ranks..

*Paxina looks up with an indignant look on her face.*

Excuse me... sacrificing KENDERS are you out of your mind. Margaret
wouldn't want to obtain dietyship that way... She likes us. If she didn't
she wouldn't have put up with me all these years. Besides could you imagine
how dull and boring all your lives would be without us. Where would the
adventure be? Where would be the laughter? Where would be the joy of a new
day and a new road? You all would be lost without having us around to be
bold and cheerful, fun and adorable. We are able to do things, get into
places and get you all out of more trouble than you can imagine without
us... the fun of adventure would be sucked from Krynn in a heartbeat.

*Paxina realizes she is on a soapbox again and gets down and sticks the
soapbox back into the wagon*

Well Anyways.... I think you would miss us if we were gone.

Paxina Thistleknot

Asuka Langley-Sohryu

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00

> *Paxina looks up with an indignant look on her face.*
>
> Excuse me... sacrificing KENDERS are you out of your mind. Margaret
> wouldn't want to obtain dietyship that way... She likes us. If she
didn't
> she wouldn't have put up with me all these years.

That my dear is what's known as black humour ;)

Besides could you imagine
> how dull and boring all your lives would be without us. Where would the
> adventure be?

around the party, rather than in it ;)

Where would be the laughter? Where would be the joy of a new
> day and a new road? You all would be lost without having us around to be
> bold and cheerful, fun and adorable.

I still have my Shinji plushie ;)

We are able to do things, get into
> places and get you all out of more trouble than you can imagine without
> us... the fun of adventure would be sucked from Krynn in a heartbeat.

wow, even I dont give that good hea...... ah, no I wont go there..

> *Paxina realizes she is on a soapbox again and gets down and sticks the
> soapbox back into the wagon*

<is about to say something then stops. after all teasing people about their
height isnt nice>

> Well Anyways.... I think you would miss us if we were gone.

of course we would ;)