OT: question for Margaret on The Rose of the Prophet

The Second

Jan 28, 2002, 1:14:03 AM1/28/02
Dear Margaret,

I enjoyed the rose of the prophet very much. It was extremely funny
and I really loved the immortals in their own pettiness.

It is clear that a 4th book is not coming, but was it in program? I
mean clearly everything is set up for the battle for Quannadi-Achmed
against Kardan-Zhora-Matthew; Puka is still trapped, and the jewel is
now unbalanced toward Akran, Matthew is sill far from home.

Everything (except one thing) is pointing in the direction of a 4th
book. Or at least a few more chapters.
The one thing that suggests that the series is complete is the fact
that the rose of the prophet has bloomed and the love between Kardan
and Zhora is now in the open.

Or is the last fight among the three tribes, Akran's way to bring the
balance back in the jewel. And is Matthew comments on the last vision
("it will take many years..." for the falcon to become emperor) a sort
of closure itself?

So my question is: Was the story over or not? was a 4th book in
program?
If a 4th book was not in program, then why leaving the story so open
ended?

Thank you.

Margaret Weis

Jan 28, 2002, 8:48:04 AM1/28/02
thesec...@mail.com (The Second) wrote in message news:<3c54e89c...@news.yale.edu>...

> Dear Margaret,
>
> I enjoyed the rose of the prophet very much. It was extremely funny

(snip)

> So my question is: Was the story over or not? was a 4th book in
> program?
> If a 4th book was not in program, then why leaving the story so open
> ended?

We did have fourth book in mind, but Rose never sold as well as the
other series, so Bantam was much more interested in a new project,
which turned out to be Deathgate. We did end the series in a sudden
manner intentionally, as being fitting to the chaotic nature of the
hero and the heroine, whose lives will continue to be one grand and
glorious adventure. And, no, I don't think we'll ever write that
fourth book now. The entire series is out-of-print.

Thanks!

Margaret

The Second

Jan 28, 2002, 2:36:34 PM1/28/02