Translated Manga

Jonathan Powell

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
ZhaHaDum wrote in message <36a9226a....@nntp.ftc-i.net>...
>Does anyone have any translated (into English) manga that is not
>on-line at Eric's Daily Dragonball Chapters. If so, I would appreciate
>an e-mail with the file. I'm especially interested in the early
>volumes. TIA!

Those are commercially available, so you should *buy* them if you really
want to see 'em. They are republished by Viz, and you can get more info at
http://www.viz.com/

Jon
(the definitive Jon)
http://students.washington.edu/ejonp/index.html

ZhaHaDum

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

ZhaHaDum

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
On Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:24:46 -0800, "Jonathan Powell"
<ej...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>ZhaHaDum wrote in message <36a9226a....@nntp.ftc-i.net>...

>Those are commercially available, so you should *buy* them if you really
>want to see 'em. They are republished by Viz, and you can get more info at
>http://www.viz.com/
>
>Jon
>(the definitive Jon)
>http://students.washington.edu/ejonp/index.html

Thanks for the obligatory politically correct response, JP! If I
could, I would!. In the meantime, I'll repeat my request - If anyone
has some old translated manga files sitting on their hard drives
(maybe you got them long before DB came to Viz), please drop me a
line. I've got up to Vol 1 Ch 5 in English, then 6&7 in french and 9
in Japanese. I have none of Vol 2. Any help would be appreciated.

Paligion

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
> Thanks for the obligatory politically correct response, JP! If I
> could, I would!. In the meantime, I'll repeat my request - If anyone
> has some old translated manga files sitting on their hard drives
> (maybe you got them long before DB came to Viz), please drop me a
> line. I've got up to Vol 1 Ch 5 in English, then 6&7 in french and 9
> in Japanese. I have none of Vol 2. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for Disreguarding the BEST CHOICE TO GET UNEDITED DRAGOBNALL IN
AMERICA!!!!!!!!!! why would i want something like that when the manga
Viz is making is ALMOST 100% UNEDITED(last i heard they renamed one of
piccolo's attack) and DOES LOOK NICE!!!!!!!! oh wait you never said why
you can't get Viz's Comic....
--
Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.
http://www.talkway.com

valerie with her veggie plush

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

>Those are commercially available, so you should *buy* them if you really
>want to see 'em. They are republished by Viz, and you can get more info at
>http://www.viz.com/

Yeah, I finally found one at a comic place near my house today! I got
number 11 I think, anyway, it's the chapters where Goku turns into an
Oozaru monkey after looking at the moon in the prison Pilaf put them
in. It was kinda neat to read, but the letters section was even more
entertaining.

"I am an eleven year old fan of the series, and I think Yamcha is the
coolest! How OLD is Yamcha, anyway??" *LOL!!*

Oh yeah, and I got Mixx's Sailor Moon #4 to add to my collection as
well. The store was cool, they had tons of Ureisa Yasura (sp) *Lum and
Ranma 1/2 manga, in the original Japanese volumes. There was
translated Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Maisson Ikkoku comics there,
too. Unfortunately I spent all my money winning two auctions for
French Sailor Moon manga on eBay this week.

*ahem* ANYWAY....I've gotten a bit off track. In short, the Viz comics
are pretty cool, you should get them.

-valerie
http://members.tripod.com/~valerie

valerie with her veggie plush

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

>Thanks for Disreguarding the BEST CHOICE TO GET UNEDITED DRAGOBNALL IN
>AMERICA!!!!!!!!!! why would i want something like that when the manga
>Viz is making is ALMOST 100% UNEDITED(last i heard they renamed one of
>piccolo's attack) and DOES LOOK NICE!!!!!!!! oh wait you never said why
>you can't get Viz's Comic....

Not only that, it reads in original format (right to left, the comic
book opens from where the back of an English comic book would be, like
real manga.)

-valerie
http://members.tripod.com/~valerie

Monkeigh

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
>Not only that, it reads in original format (right to left, the comic
>book opens from where the back of an English comic book would be, like
>real manga.)

I read a book like that. It was a graphic novel of a manga, and was purty
cool.
_________________________
~-=-~Leigh Aucoin~-=-~
~-=-~"Haha! Look at those cows! They're stupid." -My friend~-=-~
~-=-~(If you wanna mail me, you can figure what to do)~-=-~

Frodoj13

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99

>Yeah, I finally found one at a comic place near my house today! I got
>number 11 I think, anyway, it's the chapters where Goku turns into an
>Oozaru monkey after looking at the moon in the prison Pilaf put them
>in. It was kinda neat to read, but the letters section was even more
>entertaining.

Thats cool. Yea, it was hilarious:) One girl wrote in with a letter entirely
devoted to Pu'ar. My comic store had a back issue of #6(Im missing 6 and 4) but
I bought this months Maison Ikkoku instead, so I could get the video. This
months issue was a bit dissappointing. You need some back issues:)

>Oh yeah, and I got Mixx's Sailor Moon #4 to add to my collection as
>well.

That issue was great

>The store was cool, they had tons of Ureisa Yasura (sp) *Lum

Pretty sure its Uretsei Yatsumara

>and
>Ranma 1/2 manga,

::screams:: THEY RAN OUT! AAAUUUUGH! GAWD GAWD GAWD GAWD! IT ONLY TOOK THEM 2
DAYS TO RUN OUT! *2* DAYS! WHY COULDN'T MY DAD TAKE ME YESTERDAY? WAAAAAA

> in the original Japanese volumes.

My store got in Sailor Moon Vlm. 18(last volume) in the original japanese,
Kanji and all. I was considering it, but decided on some Maison Ikkoku and a
Mixxzine instead. Oh, and a Sailor Moon, and a Dragonball. They also got in a
Ranma 1/2 in its original Kanji, but I didn't buy that either. They have these
ENORMOUS magazines, kanji, in Japanese. But its all faar to expensive. PREVIEWS
made a mistake, when they said it wasn't Sailor Moon getting married at the
end. Morons.

>There was
>translated Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Maisson Ikkoku comics there,
>too.

*sniff* They ran out of NGE also. *begins to cry* I think I picked up the last
Maison Ikkoku. WHY DOES MANGA HAVE TO BE SO DAMNED POPULAR AROUND HERE?!?!?!?!

>Unfortunately I spent all my money winning two auctions for
>French Sailor Moon manga on eBay this week.

Haha.

::cries::: WHY WHY WHY WHYWHY!?!?!?!?!??!!??!!?!??!?!??!?!?!?! Maybe that other
store will have them... LUM RULES!

-Son Goku Saotome-

Goku: Prepare For Trouble
Pikachu: Pi Pika!*Make it double
Goku: To Protect The World From Devestation
Pikachu: Pika Pi Pi!*to ignite all peoples in our nation
Goku: PIKACHU! UNITE!
Pikachu: Pi..*sorry..
Goku: Its Ok...

sfic_...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99

> Not only that, it reads in original format (right to left, the comic
> book opens from where the back of an English comic book would be, like
> real manga.)

Thanks for agreeing with me!

Just your overactive Sci-fi, Fantasy, Fiction, Anime freak :)

Paul C. Miller

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99

1. I'd wait until Viz comes out with the graphic novels at this point.
Viz does a remarkable job with the comics and they are reasonably
priced. If they could: 1. Send comics on time (comic stores get
comics before subcribers) , 2. Send the right comic (happened last
month), 3. Keep their subsciption list straight during the winter
(every year for the last three years I've had to call because my
comics never arrived, when Spring rolls around there is never a
problem); I wouldn't have a problem.

2. A Viz representative said that as long as site who carry Manga
didn't advertise, they were "ok" with translated DB and DBZ manga.

3. I'm puzzled with what Viz is doing. If you release two chapters of
DBZ a month that means DBZ will run for twelve and a half years and DB
will run for nine years. That could be possibly three Presidents away.
Viz should translate DBZ four chapters a month and speed this process
up before I'm reading these comics to my kids. :->

Wuken

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
On Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:00:14 GMT, pmil...@mindspring.com (Paul C.
Miller) wrote:

>1. I'd wait until Viz comes out with the graphic novels at this point.
>Viz does a remarkable job with the comics and they are reasonably
>priced.

Any word on when these will be available? I'm simply curious about the
quality of the books themselves, for comparison's sake (I have all of
the Dragon Ball manga in Japanese already, although unfortunately I
haven't had the time to flip through the books and translate them for
myself).

>2. A Viz representative said that as long as site who carry Manga
>didn't advertise, they were "ok" with translated DB and DBZ manga.

Out of curiosity, where did you hear that, Paul?

I've read the comments by Oliver Chin on the Daily Dragon Ball
Chapters website, and despite what the maintainer has said, it looks
to me that Viz is intolerant of any unauthorized translations.

Quoting from the DDBC site (http://db.silicon-north.com/):

"3. As an official licensee, Viz supports authorized and licensed
translations of Japanese material. We appreciate fans' desire to
access their favorite series as quickly as possible, and encourage
their enthusiasm as long as it does not undermine the building of the
market for legal products.

As with fansubbing of anime, manga translation should cease upon
publication of licensed product, lest bootlegging continue to damage
the legitimacy of the market."

They state above, "As an official licensee [of Dragon Ball], Viz
supports authorized and licensed translations of Japanese material" --
which means they do _not_ support unauthorized and unlicensed
translations of Dragon Ball. This makes it painfully obvious to me
that they aren't "ok" with unauthorized translations, which includes
fanscans and possibly text translations.

And if that wasn't clear enough, they specifically state in the second
paragraph beginning with "manga translation should cease upon
publication of licensed product..." that all fan translations of
Dragon Ball should have ended over a year ago, when the series first
premiered in early 1998.

Have you heard any different?

>3. I'm puzzled with what Viz is doing. If you release two chapters of
>DBZ a month that means DBZ will run for twelve and a half years and DB
>will run for nine years. That could be possibly three Presidents away.
>Viz should translate DBZ four chapters a month and speed this process
>up before I'm reading these comics to my kids. :->

Viz goes about as fast as a normal Japanese weekly manga magazine, but
it all feels so horrendously slow because the two chapters for both
"series" are released once a month, not once a week, like it was in
Japan (when the series was still being serialized in Shonen Jump).

Personally, I'd adore Viz if they could somehow get the original color
Dragon Ball art work and republish it here. It would save me the
trouble of looking for those rare Shonen Jumps that had sections of
the story in full color (but hey, searching for those is an adventure
in itself).

Wuken "That's because that samurai is special.
mailto:sabe...@ucla.edu He was a husband who cared for my daughter
http://toriyama.tierranet.com/ in her dying, last moments."
http://www.toriyama.org/ -- Oibore, from Rurouni Kenshin

Frodoj13

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
>Personally, I'd adore Viz if they could somehow get the original color
>Dragon Ball art work and republish it here. It would save me the
>trouble of looking for those rare Shonen Jumps that had sections of
>the story in full color (but hey, searching for those is an adventure
>in itself).

My local comic store has these enormous volumes of books in Kanji, but seeing
as I DONT read kanji, I don't know if they're shonen or not, but Viz is putting
the covers from the original Shonen Jumps on the comics. And once in a while
they include full color posters

Wuken

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
On 24 Jan 1999 16:25:45 GMT, frod...@aol.com (Frodoj13) wrote:
>>Personally, I'd adore Viz if they could somehow get the original color
>>Dragon Ball art work and republish it here. It would save me the
>>trouble of looking for those rare Shonen Jumps that had sections of
>>the story in full color (but hey, searching for those is an adventure
>>in itself).
>
>My local comic store has these enormous volumes of books in Kanji, but seeing
>as I DONT read kanji, I don't know if they're shonen or not,

Huh?

>but Viz is putting the covers from the original Shonen Jumps on the comics.
>And once in a while they include full color posters

I'm well aware of that. Trouble is, I already have all of the color
artwork that Viz has put on the covers of their Dragon Ball and Dragon
Ball Z comics, and more. Viz simply reproduces the images found in the
Dragon Ball Daizenshuu: Illustrations book.

I was referring to portions of Dragon Ball chapters that were printed
in color. Here's an example:

http://toriyama.tierranet.com/dbch501.jpg

Akira Toriyama didn't do a lot of chapters in color, considering that
Dragon Ball ran for over 10 years. In contrast, Eiichirou Oda, who
does the hilarious manga One Piece, whips out color artwork and
portions of chapters in color every couple of weeks. Which is
impressive, when you consider that One Piece is only a little over a
year old...

When did Viz throw in another batch of fold-out posters? I have their
first set (which, again, are reprints from the book mentioned above).

valerie with her veggie plush

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99

>I read a book like that. It was a graphic novel of a manga, and was purty
>cool.

I have some manga and it's all like that. My Toriyama "World" art book
opens that way, too.

-valerie
http://members.tripod.com/~valerie

valerie with her veggie plush

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99

>>Oh yeah, and I got Mixx's Sailor Moon #4 to add to my collection as
>>well.
>
>That issue was great

YEAH! Tuxedo Mask brainwashed Andrew and he was evil, and he
brainwashed Lita to lead them to their control room, and Minako kicked
her, and Tux got the crystal, and he looked evil! And it was so cheesy
and funny! And Darien has absolutely NO FASHION SENSE! Did you see
that shirt he was wearing in the last panel of #3?? What?

-valerie
http://members.tripod.com/~valerie

Frodoj13

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99

>Huh?

My comic store has a whole bunch of manga magazines from Japan in the original
kanji, but I don't read kanji, so I dont know which magazines they are.

>When did Viz throw in another batch of fold-out posters? I have their
>first set (which, again, are reprints from the book mentioned above).

Well, they've only done.. like 11 or 12 issues so far, and one poster, and I
dont collect DragonballZ until the Frieza saga is going to begin

-Son Goku Saotome-

"You mean.. you peep at men too?!!"
The Original Naoko Takeuchi Obsessed Freak
Beware The Hammer

Frodoj13

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99

>YEAH! Tuxedo Mask brainwashed Andrew and he was evil, and he
>brainwashed Lita to lead them to their control room, and Minako kicked
>her, and Tux got the crystal, and he looked evil! And it was so cheesy
>and funny! And Darien has absolutely NO FASHION SENSE! Did you see
>that shirt he was wearing in the last panel of #3?? What?
>

>-valerie
>http://members.tripod.com/~valerie
>
></PRE></HTML>

::laughs:: Evil Andrew was cool *What are you talking about? This is my best
friend Endo!* ENDO?! I had to read through the magazine 3 times to figure out
what was going on, sure, but that doesn't matter:) LOL! "Dont scratch the
marble, V-Babe!"

eric...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
sabe...@ucla.edu wrote:

> >2. A Viz representative said that as long as site who carry Manga
> >didn't advertise, they were "ok" with translated DB and DBZ manga.
>
> Out of curiosity, where did you hear that, Paul?

It was on my page (the DDBC). I emailed Oliver Chin as well as a Viz
employee just to see how their replies would differ. The employee's said
that as long as the maintainers didn't advertise, Viz was "ok" with it. (see
db.silicon-north.com/news.html for the full reply - it's near the bottom)

> They state above, "As an official licensee [of Dragon Ball], Viz
> supports authorized and licensed translations of Japanese material" --
> which means they do _not_ support unauthorized and unlicensed
> translations of Dragon Ball. This makes it painfully obvious to me
> that they aren't "ok" with unauthorized translations, which includes
> fanscans and possibly text translations.

It may be obvious to you, but I see it differently. Of course they support
authorized, licensed translations (that would be them), but they have never
made a statement such as "Fanscans and text translations are violations which
we actively oppose" I'm sure that if they were *REALLY* against it, they
would've notified me by now. (And I know for a fact that ppl there now about
the DDBC) That's what happened to the KOR Project - they got an email telling
them what they were doing was illegal and that they had to take down the
chapters or face legal action. (There's a link to the KOR Project from my
links at db.silicon-north.com/dblinks.html )

> And if that wasn't clear enough, they specifically state in the second
> paragraph beginning with "manga translation should cease upon
> publication of licensed product..." that all fan translations of
> Dragon Ball should have ended over a year ago, when the series first
> premiered in early 1998.

Publication of licensed product - as far as I know, the vast majority of DB
manga hasn't been published yet. ^_- Taking Oliver's statment that way
would mean expecting fansub distributors to stop distribution of *all* DBZ
movies just because the first three have been released.

Thoughts, comments, anyone?

- Eric Phan (sh...@bellatlantic.net)
The Daily Dragon Ball Chapters
http://db.silicon-north.com

sh...@bellatlantic.net

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
sabe...@ucla.edu wrote:

> >2. A Viz representative said that as long as site who carry Manga
> >didn't advertise, they were "ok" with translated DB and DBZ manga.
>
> Out of curiosity, where did you hear that, Paul?

It was on my page (the DDBC). I emailed Oliver Chin as well as a Viz
employee just to see how their replies would differ. The employee's said
that as long as the maintainers didn't advertise, Viz was "ok" with it. (see
db.silicon-north.com/news.html for the full reply - it's near the bottom)

> They state above, "As an official licensee [of Dragon Ball], Viz
> supports authorized and licensed translations of Japanese material" --
> which means they do _not_ support unauthorized and unlicensed
> translations of Dragon Ball. This makes it painfully obvious to me
> that they aren't "ok" with unauthorized translations, which includes
> fanscans and possibly text translations.

It may be obvious to you, but I see it differently. Of course they support
authorized, licensed translations (that would be them), but they have never
made a statement such as "Fanscans and text translations are violations which
we actively oppose" I'm sure that if they were *REALLY* against it, they

would've notified me by now. (And I know for a fact that ppl there know
about the DDBC)

That's what happened to the KOR Project - they got an email telling them what
they were doing was illegal and that they had to take down the chapters or
face legal action. (There's a link to the KOR Project from my links at
db.silicon-north.com/dblinks.html )

> And if that wasn't clear enough, they specifically state in the second
> paragraph beginning with "manga translation should cease upon
> publication of licensed product..." that all fan translations of
> Dragon Ball should have ended over a year ago, when the series first
> premiered in early 1998.

Publication of licensed product - as far as I know, the vast majority of DB
manga hasn't been published yet. ^_- Taking Oliver's statment that way would

be like expecting fansub distributors to stop distribution of *all* DBZ movies

Wuken

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:19:50 GMT, sh...@bellatlantic.net wrote:
>sabe...@ucla.edu wrote:
>>
>> >2. A Viz representative said that as long as site who carry Manga
>> >didn't advertise, they were "ok" with translated DB and DBZ manga.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, where did you hear that, Paul?
>
>It was on my page (the DDBC). I emailed Oliver Chin as well as a Viz
>employee just to see how their replies would differ. The employee's said
>that as long as the maintainers didn't advertise, Viz was "ok" with it. (see
>db.silicon-north.com/news.html for the full reply - it's near the bottom)

Yet in the same sentence he said that he didn't know the official
stance by Viz on these sort of things.

>> They state above, "As an official licensee [of Dragon Ball], Viz
>> supports authorized and licensed translations of Japanese material" --
>> which means they do _not_ support unauthorized and unlicensed
>> translations of Dragon Ball. This makes it painfully obvious to me
>> that they aren't "ok" with unauthorized translations, which includes
>> fanscans and possibly text translations.
>
>It may be obvious to you, but I see it differently. Of course they support
>authorized, licensed translations (that would be them), but they have never
>made a statement such as "Fanscans and text translations are violations which
>we actively oppose" I'm sure that if they were *REALLY* against it, they
>would've notified me by now. (And I know for a fact that ppl there know
>about the DDBC)

How can you be so sure about that? Did you e-mail Viz, telling them
about your site? Did you receive a reply specifically stating that
"Yes, we know about your site, the _Daily Dragon Ball Chapters_, and
hey, we're okay with the fanscans on it". The fan translations Jason
Thompson is referring to could very well be the summaries done by
Hitoshi Doi and Curtis Hoffmann, and not the ones on your site. That's
a definite possibility. The Daily Dragon Ball Chapters hasn't finished
all 42 volumes (excluding parts of 1, 2, 17, and 18, of course), but
here Jason says that without them [the "fan-translated manga"], he
wouldn't have been able to understand all 42 volumes. Something
doesn't fit -- if the Daily Dragon Ball Chapters hasn't finished
translating all 42 volumes of Dragon Ball, then how could Jason have
said that he'd be able to understand all 42 volumes via your site?
That is why I'm more inclined to believe that he's referring to
Hoffmann and Doi's summaries (which were finished years ago, and cover
all 42 volumes) when referring to the subject of "fan-translated
manga".

Speaking of which, I've read the e-mails on the site numerous times
over, and the word "fan-translated manga" mentioned in the e-mail to
Jason Thompson is VERY ambiguous.

Traditionally, when manga was translated by fans into English, people
wrote up text files as an accompaniment to the original manga. The
text files were aids to the original work; they were not meant to be
used as a substitute for it. In order to get the most out of the
text-only translations and summaries, it was imperative that one go
out and buy the corresponding volume(s). Nowadays, most text
translations are set up so that if you don't have the corresponding
volume in front of you, it would be nigh impossible to get a grasp of
what was really going on -- it'd be like watching a movie with no
video.

This is what I believe Jason is referring to. Obviously, summaries of
Dragon Ball won't cut into sales of their comics at all -- they're
only summaries, and by nature, only provide a general gist of what is
going on. Text-only translations, however, could pose a threat, as
they are translations of the original work and might compete with the
domestic product by persuading others to look for the original
Japanese volumes instead of the commercially available product here. I
don't have any problems with text translations personally; as a matter
of fact, I will take a text translation over a fanscan due to 1) small
download size, 2) overall better translation because one isn't
restricted to shortening sentences to fit in bubbles, and 3) even if
it takes the profit away from those who publish the domestic product,
that money will most likely be used towards another legal product --
the original Japanese tankouban.

Fanscans are an entirely different matter.

Because fanscans include both a text translation AND the original art,
you're getting an entire package -- using the analogy above, you're
getting audio AND video -- the whole movie. The need to buy the
original tankouban to see the art and understand how the text-only
translations fit into the work is greatly diminished, and in some
cases, completely eliminated. Sometimes people will not even bother to
buy either the original Japanese tankouban or the domestic
English-language product simply because they have the fanscan, and
that is doing nothing but taking money away from the copyright
holders, artists, and everyone else who worked hard to bring that work
on both sides of the Pacific. For every one person I know who vows to
buy either the Viz version or the original Jump Comics version of
Dragon Ball, I know four who won't because they have the fanscan.
That's scary.

I know you realize that this sort of mentality exists, Eric -- in
fact, I notice that it's the topic of your latest poll (what are the
results so far on that, by the way?). Don't get me wrong, I too would
like to see all of Dragon Ball someday translated into English; I just
have problems with the idea of the fanscan and how it's being used in
this case. I don't mind fanscans as long as they are used in good
faith -- a couple of pages here and there are fine to generate
interest in the work, but when entire books are scanned, the idea just
gets abused. This is one of the main reasons why I'm very hesitant to
reissue the files on Suushinchuu -- people were downloading the music
files on it and in many cases not bothering to look for the CDs, which
is what I wanted them to do in the first place.

In retrospect, I should have offered only samples and snippets of
songs, instead of entire tracks. You live and learn, I suppose.

>That's what happened to the KOR Project - they got an email telling them what
>they were doing was illegal and that they had to take down the chapters or
>face legal action. (There's a link to the KOR Project from my links at
>db.silicon-north.com/dblinks.html )

Yeah, I heard about that. I also noticed that its sister project, the
Dragon Ball Project, shut itself down soon after word got out that Viz
had picked up Dragon Ball.

>> And if that wasn't clear enough, they specifically state in the second
>> paragraph beginning with "manga translation should cease upon
>> publication of licensed product..." that all fan translations of
>> Dragon Ball should have ended over a year ago, when the series first
>> premiered in early 1998.
>
>Publication of licensed product - as far as I know, the vast majority of DB
>manga hasn't been published yet. ^_- Taking Oliver's statment that way would
>be like expecting fansub distributors to stop distribution of *all* DBZ movies
>just because the first three have been released.

That's comparing apples and oranges. Pioneer Entertainment owns the
rights to the first three movies, whereas Viz owns the rights to ALL
of the Dragon Ball manga. Fanscans of Dragon Ball manga, regardless of
whether or not Viz has published them, are treading on copyrights
owned here. When they say, "... publication of licensed product...",
they mean that once a series is published here domestically, any and
all fan-translations, even of the episodes not yet published, are
off-limits. That isn't just my personal interpretation, it is the
stance of many companies out there. Pioneer Entertainment, for
example, has been known to drive out dealers who sell Dragon Ball Z
fansubs, no matter at what point in the series those fansubs cover, at
anime conventions.

If Viz is fine with all these fanscans running about, then that's
alright by me. It's not my company, after all. I'm just a little
disappointed that people aren't showing their support for the manga
that they love by putting their money where their mouth is and buying
either the domestic products or the original Japanese volumes (surely,
$5 for a Dragon Ball volume in Japanese is not that expensive, and
they are ALWAYS readily available from many online stores, because
Dragon Ball is reprinted practically every other month). I blame
fanscans for that.

Eric, just to let you know, I really admire what you are trying to do;
I just don't agree with the method you've chosen to accomplish that
goal. If your intention is both to provide fans with translations of
Dragon Ball as well as promote the manga, then that is indeed a very
noble cause to work for; however, I still believe that that end could
be met just as easily via text-only translations, which cannot readily
serve as substitutes for the original work.

Speaking of which, http://www.toriyama.org/ will offer a text-only
translation of Akira Toriyama's newest longform manga, "Kajika",
sometime this week. Of course, close friends of mine already know that
translations of the entire series have been available for months
already, but this is the first time I'm releasing them publicly.

The Kajika manga is available in Japanese bookstores now. It contains
201 pages of black and white art, and retails for 390 yen (about $5.00
here in America). The ISBN number is 4-08-872658-8. If you'd like to
see the cover, check out the following URL:

http://toriyama.tierranet.com/kajika/kajika_cover.gif

When I find the time, I'll make a more complete page about Kajika,
including some history behind it and scans of the color artwork that
accompanied it while it was being serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump.
For more information about Kajika, please visit our site,
toriyama.org.

http://www.toriyama.org/atsdb/tori_new.html#m5_tag

Crass Panama

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
What's the deal with Toriyama and the tails?

Crass Panama

Frodoj13

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

> What's the deal with Toriyama and the tails?
>
>Crass Panama

Well, the character in the original story was the monkey king, so he figured a
tail would make a great gag