Whats wrong with Fanfiction.net?

GoddessBlueAngel

Aug 11, 2001, 3:25:02 AM8/11/01
I got in fine today but now I can't get in cause of some kind of password thing
that comes up? Anyone else getting this problem??

distant

Aug 11, 2001, 3:29:35 AM8/11/01

"GoddessBlueAngel" <goddessb...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I got in fine today but now I can't get in cause of some kind of password
thing
> that comes up? Anyone else getting this problem??

Front page looked fine tho it did have this in big red letters

"It appears that Fanfiction.net won't be up until the 8th-9th of August. The
site may go down completely for maintence before or around those times,
depending on the nature of the problem. "

GoddessBlueAngel

Aug 11, 2001, 3:38:24 AM8/11/01
Well It did that but now you cant even get into the front page without
it...Maybe I guess its just my computer.....

distant

Aug 11, 2001, 3:40:32 AM8/11/01

> Well It did that but now you cant even get into the front page without
> it...Maybe I guess its just my computer.....

It was working OK when I wrote my previous post. Browsed into a fan fic.

distant

Audrey Myers

Aug 12, 2001, 3:11:47 AM8/12/01
You guys are really stupid. FF.net was down because of either a server
overload or a virus.

The big red text was displayed on the website for everyone to be able to see
and read it. Since some people seem to not be able to read.

Audrey

"distant" <dista...@hotmail.r320v3.com> wrote in message

distant

Aug 12, 2001, 4:00:24 AM8/12/01

"Audrey Myers" <aim...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> You guys are really stupid. FF.net was down because of either a server
> overload or a virus.
>
> The big red text was displayed on the website for everyone to be able to
see
> and read it. Since some people seem to not be able to read.

Nah you're the really stupid one. If the server was down, as you say,
how come I was able to use it fine?

If the server was down, as you say, then how would anyone be able to see
the message? Oh and the message up there now, reading

"Fanfiction.net has been partially restored, and efforts continue for full
restoration. The site will be functioning much slower than normal until that
time. It may be helpful to limit your site use to vital activities until
then. "

wasn't the message in red that was there when I reported it to the guy.

So a) you were wrong, b) your post was stupid and c) your post held no
actual content so piss off.

distant

Dark Twilkitri

Aug 12, 2001, 6:55:59 AM8/12/01
"distant" <dista...@hotmail.r320v3.com> typed in random letters and
sent in news:pJqd7.8579$Fs.55584@NewsReader:

If you subscribed to the mailing list, maybe you'd know what was going
on...
They accidentally left one of the servers on. This is why people where able
to access the site before they put the message up. However, not all of the
site was able to be accessed. Actually, hardly abything could be accessed.
After they realised that it was going to take so long to fix the problems,
they put the original message up and left the page there so people could
know what was going on, if they weren't on the mailing list, which got
informed earlier. They have basically got the site working now, but it is
not completely fixed and you can expect to see errors coming up while
btwosing, which, they would like you to not do that much of until it is
fully fixed.

--
The Darkness will surround you all...
Dark Twilkitri

Mo

Aug 12, 2001, 11:16:46 AM8/12/01
"distant" <dista...@hotmail.r320v3.com> wrote in message

> "Audrey Myers" <aim...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > You guys are really stupid. FF.net was down because of either a server
> > overload or a virus.
> >
> > The big red text was displayed on the website for everyone to be able to
> see
> > and read it. Since some people seem to not be able to read.
> >

> Nah you're the really stupid one. If the server was down, as you say,
> how come I was able to use it fine?
>
> If the server was down, as you say, then how would anyone be able to
see
> the message? Oh and the message up there now, reading
>
> "Fanfiction.net has been partially restored, and efforts continue for full
> restoration. The site will be functioning much slower than normal until
that
> time. It may be helpful to limit your site use to vital activities until
> then. "
>
> wasn't the message in red that was there when I reported it to the
guy.

> So a) you were wrong, b) your post was stupid and c) your post held no
> actual content so piss off.
>
> distant

d) don't top-post :)

distant

Aug 12, 2001, 12:30:56 PM8/12/01

"Dark Twilkitri" <twil...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> If you subscribed to the mailing list, maybe you'd know what was going
> on...
> They accidentally left one of the servers on. This is why people where
able
> to access the site before they put the message up. However, not all of the
> site was able to be accessed. Actually, hardly abything could be accessed.
> After they realised that it was going to take so long to fix the problems,
> they put the original message up and left the page there so people could
> know what was going on, if they weren't on the mailing list, which got
> informed earlier. They have basically got the site working now, but it is
> not completely fixed and you can expect to see errors coming up while
> btwosing, which, they would like you to not do that much of until it is
> fully fixed.

Yeah well I don't. I just stated the facts. The index page resolved
fine, there was a message that was clearly out of date and I was able to
browse and read fanfics.

distant

Kyouri

Aug 12, 2001, 2:10:15 PM8/12/01
There is no rule that says we can not top post, it's a matter of
personal preference. I for one do not like to scroll down through
tons of quoted messages just to find a one line answer.

James D. Night

Aug 12, 2001, 3:29:54 PM8/12/01
>There is no rule that says we can not top post, it's a matter of
>personal preference. I for one do not like to scroll down through
>tons of quoted messages just to find a one line answer.

However, it is part of netiquette and, this NG's standard. Jeezus and Popo,
why can't the damn newbies just lurk for a few months, before opening their
mouths?
--
-=James D. Night=-
~This Was Jinzoakuma Drax

"And that would make you the ape, Goku?"
-Ghidorah Kaijuu _UCN_

>What would you do for a Klondike Bar?

>I'd pay for it.

"Get out. You're too good for us!
__
Mirai Matt"

Mo

Aug 12, 2001, 5:58:57 PM8/12/01
"James D. Night" <dra...@aol.comNoSpam> wrote in message

> >There is no rule that says we can not top post, it's a matter of
> >personal preference. I for one do not like to scroll down through
> >tons of quoted messages just to find a one line answer.
>
> However, it is part of netiquette and, this NG's standard. Jeezus and
Popo,
> why can't the damn newbies just lurk for a few months, before opening
their
> mouths?
> --
> -=James D. Night=-
> ~This Was Jinzoakuma Drax

cuz they're lazy? (aren't they all?)

and to Kyouri: if ya got a one line answer, just remove the part you're NOT
refering to.... which I believe is also part of netiquette.. and if not,
it's common sense!

Mo

distant

Aug 12, 2001, 10:35:41 PM8/12/01
I thought it was also netiquette to remove sigs when replying.

Also if you use a decent news reader I think it can be set to start
veiwing at new text..? I know some can be set to start viewing from the
bottom but that's not quite the same.

distant

Mo

Aug 13, 2001, 5:10:42 AM8/13/01
"distant" <dista...@hotmail.r320v3.com> wrote in message

not sure if Outlook Express could (which is, I think, the newsreader used by
the major part)

distant

Aug 13, 2001, 10:28:31 AM8/13/01

"Mo" <mko...@euronet.nl> wrote in message

Heh nod I know it can't which is why I said a decent news reader. :p

distant

Audrey Myers

Aug 23, 2001, 2:51:14 AM8/23/01
You're still the stupid one. Parts of a server can still run while the
majority of it is down. Major websites, like FF.net, use huge servers that
have about twenty processors running at a time.

The message that is displayed right now basically states that the server is
still not running the way it used to and that the webmasters are trying as
hard as they can to fix the problem.

You're the one that can piss off and stay gone until you understand
computers and super servers more.

Audrey

distant

Aug 23, 2001, 8:03:47 AM8/23/01

> You're still the stupid one. Parts of a server can still run while the
> majority of it is down.

No dude. You are a fucking moron. I stated facts about the current
service of the web site. End of story.

distant

.Zibro

Aug 23, 2001, 12:49:34 PM8/23/01
"distant" <dista...@hotmail.thisisnotn3eded.com> wrote in message

> No dude. You are a fucking moron. I stated facts about the current
> service of the web site. End of story.

distant, I'm sorry, but if you can't add anything to the conversation
without resorting to petty insults, I don't think you're adding anything to
this thread.
--
-z :|

Audrey Myers

Aug 23, 2001, 12:59:25 PM8/23/01

".Zibro" <c...@heck321.com> wrote in message
My sentiments exactly

Still, you are the moron. I was the one that stated facts about how
computers run. I know that FF.net is running. Now if you don't mind, I'm too
tired to argue anymore.

Audrey

distant

Aug 23, 2001, 6:20:19 PM8/23/01

> ".Zibro" <c...@heck321.com> wrote in message
> > "distant" <dista...@hotmail.thisisnotn3eded.com> wrote in message
> > > No dude. You are a fucking moron. I stated facts about the current
> > > service of the web site. End of story.
> >
> > distant, I'm sorry, but if you can't add anything to the conversation
> > without resorting to petty insults, I don't think you're adding anything
> > this thread.

I didn't start the insults. Check your history.

> > --
> > -z :|
> >

> My sentiments exactly
>
> Still, you are the moron. I was the one that stated facts about how
> computers run. I know that FF.net is running. Now if you don't mind, I'm
too
> tired to argue anymore.

How computers are run was totally irrelevant. I stated facts and you
called me stupid or whatever for stating them, saying I was wrong. Well I
was right, the facts were correct. So shove it up your ass and let it rot.

distant

Audrey Myers

Aug 23, 2001, 6:49:09 PM8/23/01

"distant" <dista...@hotmail.thisisnotn3eded.com> wrote in message
How computers run is not irrelevant. A computer runs the damn website, FYI.

Audrey

distant

Aug 23, 2001, 7:00:38 PM8/23/01

"Audrey Myers" <aim...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

God but your stupid.

If I say water is wet then how water is formed isn't relevant to the
fact I said water is wet and that this fact was true when I tested it.

distant

Audrey Myers

Aug 23, 2001, 8:45:37 PM8/23/01

"distant" <dista...@hotmail.thisisnotn3eded.com> wrote in message

You know what, I'm not going to argue with you anymore. If you're too
ingorant to figure out that if there is something wrong with a website, that
works correctly, then there is something wrong with the computer that runs
it!!!!!

I will not post anything else on this thread. You are too ignorant to argue
with.

Audrey

distant

Aug 23, 2001, 8:55:38 PM8/23/01

"Audrey Myers" <aim...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Heh.. first smile in a while. What a retarded statement.

distant

Audrey Myers

Aug 23, 2001, 9:14:04 PM8/23/01

"distant" <dista...@hotmail.thisisnotn3eded.com> wrote in message

Like I said, I will not post anymore. I will not talk to a retard that
doesn't understand anything.

Audrey

distant

Aug 23, 2001, 9:18:36 PM8/23/01

"Audrey Myers" <aim...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Pfft. You already said that once. Now you're saying if whater is wet
then it's working OK. So there must be something wrong with the valency
bonds.
Plonk.

distant