REPOST - ANY QUESTIONS FOR D.B.?

Michael Bywater

Mar 10, 1994, 5:09:31 PM3/10/94
As I said...

>I'm interviewing Dave Barry tomorrow for the London "Independent" Magazine.
>
>Anything in particular any of you would like me to ask him?
>
>(Except, of course, the dismal old chestnut "How do you get your ideas?")

>Replies by e-mail please, to reach me by 1500 GMT. I'll post the finished
>article here in due course.

... but forgot to say when.

Tomorrow, Friday March 11th.

So the deadline for Infrequently Asked Questions is Friday 1500 GMT.

Thanks.
--
Michael Bywater <mic...@bywater.demon.co.uk>

Dave Barry

Mar 17, 1994, 6:12:07 PM3/17/94
to alt-fan-dave-barry@crash
I GOT YOUR FUCKING POST! ON THE INTERNET! WITH MY COMPUTER! Which is not
like yours at ALL. Mine is JEWISH. And if that BOTHERS YOU, Mr.
Chuckletrousers, then you will just have to accept that THIS IS THE NEW
FUCKING WORLD ORDER IN WHICH WE LIVE IN.

I really like the Bargewater book.

Pro-Entropy (C)1993 by DAR Systems International, All Rights Reserved
Real Name: Dave Barry Internet: da...@pro-entropy.cts.com
Call PRO-ENTROPY for the latest chaos at 305-265-9073 (14.4K Baud)

Thomas Andrew Jorgensen

Mar 17, 1994, 10:28:18 PM3/17/94
In article <1994Mar17....@pro-entropy.cts.com>,
Dave Barry <da...@pro-entropy.cts.com> wrote:
>[ . . . ] ORDER IN WHICH WE LIVE IN. [ . . . ]

which is redundant

Mark Challender

Mar 19, 1994, 12:36:10 PM3/19/94
da...@pro-entropy.cts.com (Dave Barry) writes:

>I GOT YOUR FUCKING POST! ON THE INTERNET! WITH MY COMPUTER! Which is not
>like yours at ALL. Mine is JEWISH. And if that BOTHERS YOU, Mr.
>Chuckletrousers, then you will just have to accept that THIS IS THE NEW
>FUCKING WORLD ORDER IN WHICH WE LIVE IN.

>I really like the Bargewater book.

Hello, hello . . . WHO is this? Hello, hello . . . Is that really you
Dave? You seem angry.

Mark Challender
n792...@henson.cc.wwu.edu

James R Holcomb -- Douglas Medical

Mar 19, 1994, 1:51:40 PM3/19/94
>da...@pro-entropy.cts.com (Dave Barry) writes:
>
>>I GOT YOUR FUCKING POST! ON THE INTERNET! WITH MY COMPUTER! Which is not
>>like yours at ALL. Mine is JEWISH. And if that BOTHERS YOU, Mr.
>>Chuckletrousers, then you will just have to accept that THIS IS THE NEW
>>FUCKING WORLD ORDER IN WHICH WE LIVE IN.
>
>>I really like the Bargewater book.

Nothin' like screwing up at the speed of light ... :)

I had a programmer that worked for me once, and she was always deathly afraid
to press the enter key until she had reviewed EVERYTHING on the screen. Twice.
Lots of times I would reach in there and press it for her, to get things going.
NOW I understand her trepidation...

Jim Holcomb
aka jhol...@rock.concert.net

Bob R. Kenyon

Mar 20, 1994, 12:52:13 AM3/20/94
da...@pro-entropy.cts.com (Dave Barry) wrote:

> I GOT YOUR FUCKING POST! ON THE INTERNET! WITH MY COMPUTER! Which is not
> like yours at ALL. Mine is JEWISH. And if that BOTHERS YOU, Mr.
> Chuckletrousers, then you will just have to accept that THIS IS THE NEW
> FUCKING WORLD ORDER IN WHICH WE LIVE IN.

What I really want to know is, what is a JEWISH computer and how is it
different from my "wuss-o-rama new-age" Apple computer?

Bob

ps -- don't worry, Dave, it's actually kinda funny!
--
Bob Kenyon | "It's called Windows because
Budding Mac Programmer and Fanatic | it's a real pane."

Chris Sonnack

Mar 20, 1994, 2:00:43 PM3/20/94
<<on 18 Mar 1994 03:28:18 GMT, Thomas Andrew Jorgensen wrote...>>

> Dave Barry <da...@pro-entropy.cts.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...] ORDER IN WHICH WE LIVE IN. [...]
>
> which is redundant

I thought it was a reference to that horrible Paul McCartney song
from the Bond film, LIVE AND LET DIE. The line, "in which we live
in" is repeated several times. Drives me nuts. Thought I was mis-
hearing it until I actually saw the actual lyrics.

--
Chris Sonnack | 3M/Information Technology/Engineering Info Svcs
cjso...@mmm.com | 3M Center, Bld 42-6E-01, St.Paul, MN, 55144-1000

John Switzer

Mar 19, 1994, 3:51:57 PM3/19/94

I'm still trying to comprehend the nature of a Jewish computer, especially
if it's been circumsized. And I'm a bit afraid to ask about the "Bargewater
book" - I mean, there are books out there on everything, but someone had
to be really desperate for a thesis topic to write one about the fluids
found in barges. And, then for Dave to say he likes this sort of book,
well . . .
--
John Switzer | 2/24/94: China implements "network registration."
| Too bad the Chinese don't have a First Amendment,
Internet: j...@netcom.com | but then how could they? They don't have a
CompuServe: 74076,1250 | Second Amendment either.

John Switzer

Mar 19, 1994, 3:58:40 PM3/19/94
In article <2mfhjs$j...@inxs.concert.net> jhol...@rock.concert.net (James R Holcomb -- Douglas Medical) writes:
>>da...@pro-entropy.cts.com (Dave Barry) writes:
>>
>>>I GOT YOUR FUCKING POST! ON THE INTERNET! WITH MY COMPUTER! Which is not
>>>like yours at ALL. Mine is JEWISH. And if that BOTHERS YOU, Mr.
>>>Chuckletrousers, then you will just have to accept that THIS IS THE NEW
>>>FUCKING WORLD ORDER IN WHICH WE LIVE IN.
>>
>>>I really like the Bargewater book.
>
>Nothin' like screwing up at the speed of light ... :)
>
>I had a programmer that worked for me once, and she was always deathly afraid
>to press the enter key until she had reviewed EVERYTHING on the screen. Twice.
>Lots of times I would reach in there & press it for her, to get things going.

>NOW I understand her trepidation...

Do you think anybody's told Dave yet that there are outfits that archive
all the posts that appear on the USENET onto CD-ROMs? Which, of course,
means that historians and English lit majors for years to come will be
able to discover the famous "Dave Barry F*CKING Post" for themselves. I
imagine this post will resurface during the 1996 Presidential campaign
and become a major scandal for our favorite Presidential candidate.

Jessica Rogers

Mar 20, 1994, 9:57:07 PM3/20/94
Chris Sonnack (us22...@mmm.com) wrote:

: >> [...] ORDER IN WHICH WE LIVE IN. [...]

: > which is redundant

: I thought it was a reference to that horrible Paul McCartney song
: from the Bond film, LIVE AND LET DIE. The line, "in which we live
: in" is repeated several times. Drives me nuts. Thought I was mis-
: hearing it until I actually saw the actual lyrics.

^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

did you do that on purpose? or is the the department
of redundancy department?

--
____________________________________
"I hope finding out isn't worse than

Jonathan Crawford

Mar 21, 1994, 8:58:23 AM3/21/94
In article <dellaCM...@netcom.com>, Jessica Rogers wrote:

> Chris Sonnack (us22...@mmm.com) wrote:
> : hearing it until I actually saw the actual lyrics.
> ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
>
> did you do that on purpose? or is the the department
> of redundancy department?

Grammar Police, ma'am, can I please see your license and registration?
Thank you, do you know why I pulled you over? No? Well, you were
improperly wielding a grammar back there... What? No, the word
"actually" is an adverb, modifying the verb "saw", while "actual" is
an adjective, modifying the object "lyrics". Yes, ma'am, his word choice
was poor, and potentially misleading. Yes, I understand how that might
have appeared to be redundant. I'm going to let you off with a warning
this time -- but the next time you feel compelled to correct someone's
semantic meaning, diagram the sentence first. You can go now... ;)

HEK...@tamvm1.tamu.edu

Mar 20, 1994, 7:16:03 PM3/20/94
In article <1994Mar17....@pro-entropy.cts.com>
da...@pro-entropy.cts.com (Dave Barry) writes:

(we've all seen it - so stuff deleted)

>I really like the Bargewater book.

We all screw up. Whatever. What I want to know is, what is this Bargewater
book, and does it have anything to do with the current media hoohah?
(Water, water everywhere . . .)

Hannah (hek...@tamvm1.tamu.edu)
In case you were wondering, Grant Hill is God.

Chris Sonnack

Mar 21, 1994, 9:24:23 PM3/21/94
<<on Mon, 21 Mar 1994 02:57:07 GMT, Jessica Rogers wrote...>>

>>> which is redundant

>> ^^^^^^^^^

>> I thought it was a reference to that horrible Paul McCartney song
>> from the Bond film, LIVE AND LET DIE. The line, "in which we live
>> in" is repeated several times. Drives me nuts. Thought I was mis-
>> hearing it until I actually saw the actual lyrics.
>

> did you do that on purpose? or is the the department
> of redundancy department?

<cat_with_canary_feathers_around_its_mouth_grin> Considering the above
quotes, what would you imagine? Actually, I actually meant to actually
say that. Actually. ;-}

--
Chris Sonnack | 3M/Information Technology/Engineering Info Svcs
cjso...@mmm.com | 3M Center, Bld 42-6E-01, St.Paul, MN, 55144-1000

1 Pot T == 1 Pot P ... 1 Pot P != 1 Pot T

Chris Sonnack

Mar 21, 1994, 9:27:06 PM3/21/94
<<on 21 Mar 1994 08:58:23 -0500, Jonathan Crawford wrote...>>

>>> hearing it until I actually saw the actual lyrics.
>> ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
>> did you do that on purpose? or is the the department
>> of redundancy department?
>

> Grammar Police, ma'am, [...very funny stuff deleted for space...]

> Yes, ma'am, his word choice was poor, and potentially misleading.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Ahem. Officer, you misspelled "intentionally".

--
Chris Sonnack | 3M/Information Technology/Engineering Info Svcs
cjso...@mmm.com | 3M Center, Bld 42-6E-01, St.Paul, MN, 55144-1000

I'm not 38! I'm 18 with 20 years experience!!

Chris Tubutis

Mar 22, 1994, 11:46:06 PM3/22/94
In article <2mll1q$3...@dawn.mmm.com> cjso...@mmm.com (Chris Sonnack) writes:
><<on 21 Mar 1994 08:58:23 -0500, Jonathan Crawford wrote...>>

>>> ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
>>> did you do that on purpose? or is the the department
>>> of redundancy department?
>>
>> Grammar Police, ma'am, [...very funny stuff deleted for space...]
>> Yes, ma'am, his word choice was poor, and potentially misleading.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>Ahem. Officer, you misspelled "intentionally".
^^
Ahem ahem. The period goes *inside* the quotation marks.

--
Chris Tubutis gr...@lamar.ColoState.EDU
Colorado State University Send me money

Dost thou loveth life? Then do not squandereth thy time. -- Ben Franklin

Phil Veldhuis

Mar 23, 1994, 2:32:52 PM3/23/94

Various grammar drivel deleted.

>> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Ahem. Officer, you misspelled "intentionally".
> ^^
>Ahem ahem. The period goes *inside* the quotation marks.

Well actually, it doesn't. The period goes inside the quotation marks if
and only if the quotation marks do not set off special terms. In this
context the Officer is not quoting the previous poster since the Officer
(special force, anal grammar unit) spelled the word correctly. The
officer is making what gramarically correct people call a use/mention
distinction. Mentioning a word, rather than using it in the meaning of
the sentence is a use of a special term, and so the period goes outside
the quotation mark.

BTW, the above is meant as a public flame of all people who jump on others
for spelling/grammar mistakes. If you do this you are:

1. Risking getting the same treatment yourself (as above).
2. Risking looking like a totally anal-retentive bore.
3. Wasting bandwidth.

Ask yourself whether you like people to correct your grammar in any other
social setting. If the answer is YES, then screw off. If the answer is
NO, then why do it here? Keep it to yourself so that all the normal people in
the universe can then get on with life.

Phil Veldhuis.

Ps. There are numerous spelling and grammatical mistakes (from Canadian
English, not to mention misspelling from American point of view) in this
post. Just try and ignore them, the training in self control might do you
some good.

The first person to post a grammatical/spelling critic of this post will
be flamed mercilessly
--
------------oooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo-------------
Phil Veldhuis | "...once you know what it is you want to be

Roger A. Hunt

Mar 23, 1994, 4:46:11 PM3/23/94
In article <2mq5h4$j...@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>, vel...@cc.umanitoba.ca (Phil

Veldhuis) says:

>Various grammar drivel deleted.
>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>Well actually, it doesn't. The period goes inside the quotation marks if
>and only if the quotation marks do not set off special terms. In this
>context the Officer is not quoting the previous poster since the Officer

[ more grammar drivel deleted ]

Okay, enough. This is a job for [ trumpet fanfare ]
MR. LANGUAGE PERSON !!

>The first person to post a grammatical/spelling critic of this post will
>be flamed mercilessly

Oh, so you dare to flame MR. LANGUAGE PERSON?? Let's see how long
YOU last on the newsgroup, Chuckletrousers. I'll bet the mutant
see-through worms are speeding toward your miserable house right now.

Roger A. Hunt real name: ra...@psuvm.psu.edu
=> The above opinions guaranteed not to be those of Penn State. It
is the opinion of Penn State that I should: a) finish my disser-
tation; b) get a haircut; c) get a real job.

Jessica Rogers

Mar 23, 1994, 9:31:47 PM3/23/94
Chris Tubutis (gr...@lamar.ColoState.EDU) wrote:

: >Ahem. Officer, you misspelled "intentionally".

: Ahem ahem. The period goes *inside* the quotation marks.

it is perfectly acceptable (and proper "English")
to place the quotation *inside* the sentence.

more ahem-ing.

Chris Sonnack

Mar 24, 1994, 2:24:29 AM3/24/94
<<on 23 Mar 94 04:46:06 GMT, Chris Tubutis wrote...>>

> >> Grammar Police, ma'am, [...very funny stuff deleted for space...]
> >> Yes, ma'am, his word choice was poor, and potentially misleading.
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^
> >Ahem. Officer, you misspelled "intentionally".
> ^^
> Ahem ahem. The period goes *inside* the quotation marks.

Ahem, ahem, ahem <cough_cough_choke_turn_blue> [drinks water...]

Actually, in the programming community that's a matter of huge debate.
You're absolutely correct in the English-grammar-writing sense. But,
hackers tend to use the above form. And there's a growing body of usage
in favor of it in other places.

In brief, for a programmer, a "string" is a special entity, and these
are very distinct: "string" and "string." Confusing them could cause
your spaceship to stop communicating with earth or something.... :-)

--
Chris Sonnack | 3M/Information Technology/Engineering Info Svcs
cjso...@mmm.com | 3M Center, Bld 42-6E-01, St.Paul, MN, 55144-1000

Chocolate will never replace sex....unless it's very good chocolate.

Mark Challender

Mar 24, 1994, 3:08:43 PM3/24/94
vel...@cc.umanitoba.ca (Phil Veldhuis) writes:

>Phil Veldhuis.

Get a life. ;^)

Grammar Centre of Bellingham, WA
We check your cheques to make sure they don't bounce.

Mark Challender
n792...@henson.cc.wwu.edu

Bob R. Kenyon

Mar 24, 1994, 10:52:41 PM3/24/94
In article <2mrf7d$k...@dawn.mmm.com>, us22...@mmm.com (Chris Sonnack)
wrote:

> <<on 23 Mar 94 04:46:06 GMT, Chris Tubutis wrote...>>

> > > ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >Ahem. Officer, you misspelled "intentionally".
> > ^^
> > Ahem ahem. The period goes *inside* the quotation marks.
>
> Ahem, ahem, ahem <cough_cough_choke_turn_blue> [drinks water...]
>
> Actually, in the programming community that's a matter of huge debate.
> You're absolutely correct in the English-grammar-writing sense. But,
> hackers tend to use the above form. And there's a growing body of usage
> in favor of it in other places.

I would... wait a sec...

Ahem, ahem, ahem, ahem, hawk(loogy)...

Ok. I'd like to submit that putting the period inside the quote has
actually nothing to do with "English" per se, but everything to do with
"Typography." If you put the period outside the quotes, it has a tendency
to look forlorn, lonesome, even lost, but inside the quotes it is brought
closer to the word, and hence merely looks better and is thus, happier.

If I ever wonder about things like this, I pull out an old, high quality
book and just look at how they did it. Works every time!

Bob

Rose Marie Holt

Mar 27, 1994, 2:09:18 PM3/27/94

To be safe, when handwriting, put the period precisely below the
quotation marks. When your English teacher grills you on where you
meant to put it, hedge until he or she gives away the correct (IHHO)
location. When typing, or on computer keyboards, play it safe with
a period before and after the quote marks. This will confuse the
anals on the group. If you come across this on the job, and your job
is, say, "editor,", you are home free, becuase, as the expert, what you
say, goes.