27-Oct-06 AFCA penguin/HAMSTER/shark/mole/finch Summary

1 view

groo

Oct 27, 2006, 4:23:16 PM10/27/06
In honor of Zip Code Poker, here's the
27-Oct-06 AFCA penguin/HAMSTER/shark/mole/finch Summary
Under Roman law the criminal evidence of a slave was only admissable
if produced under torture.

The word "algebra" is named after the Arabic word "al-jabr" from the
title of the book al-Kitab al-mu?ta?ar fi ?isab al-gabr wa-l-muqabala,
meaning The book of Summary Concerning Calculating by Transposition and
Reduction, a book written by the Persian Muslim mathematician Mu?ammad
ibn Musa al-?warizmi in 820. The word Al-Jabr means "reunion". The
Hellenistic mathematician Diophantus has traditionally been known as
"the father of algebra" but debate now exists as to whether or not
Al-Khwarizmi should take that title from Diophantus. [Sorry about the
"?"s, it's due to cutting and pasting special characters. Google it if
you want to read it in its original glory.]

Art Frahm (1907-1981) was an American painter of campy pin-up girls
and advertising. Frahm lived in Chicago, Illinois, and was active from
the 1940s to 1960s. Today he is best known for his "ladies in distress"
pictures involving beautiful young women whose panties mysteriously
flutter to the ground in public situations, often causing them to spill
their bag of groceries. In one of Frahm's noted idiosyncratic
touches, celery is often depicted.

The publishing rights for most Beatles songs were purchased in 1984 by
Michael Jackson, and later became part of a 50-50 joint venture with
Sony.

Pine tar is a sticky material produced by the high temperature
carbonization of pine wood in anoxic conditions (dry distillation or
destructive distillation). The wood is rapidly decomposed by applying
heat and pressure in a closed container; the primary resulting products
are charcoal and pine tar.

Jonas Bronck settled in the area in 1639. His farmstead was on
property along the banks of the Harlem River near what is today 132 St.
His land consisted of 652 acres that he bought from local people, and
from the Dutch West India Company. The area later became known as
Bronckland, and at one point included Westchester County.

In England, cities ending in "wich" at one time had a salt works.

Ex-presidents who ran again for the office, unsuccessfully, include
Martin Van Buren, Millard Fillmore, and Theodore Roosevelt. The only
ex-president who ran again for the office, successfully, was Grover
Cleveland, who succeeded his successor.

In 1958, Harvard Bridge near MIT was measured by using 5 foot 7 inch
tall fraternity pledge Oliver R. Smoot as the standard of length.
Painted markings are maintained to this day showing the distance across
the bridge in Smoots.

The direction in which the Sun sets changes from day to day. If you
watch sunsets from the same location for a year, then you'll notice
that the Sun sets a little further towards the south each day between
21 June and 21 December, and a little further towards the north each
day between 21 December and 21 June. Around 21 June, the sunsets is
furthest to the north, and around 21 December it is furthest towards
the south. Around 21 March and 23 September, the setting Sun is almost
due west.

New names for Les' band:

H.E.C.
marsupial phrase
ass-backward goat herding nomads
Overland Park's Sudetenland
phantom power

Best monitor splatters of the week:

Turn around and face the other way.

Why don't you just call him a "macaca"?

Oh you mean secret service protection? Never mind.

Is *every* space marked "handicapped"?

It would impair the flavour and probably also the crispy texture.

Will there be beer?

Don't they prefer to be called "The Indigo Girls"?

The hat?

OOOh! OOhhh! Now do the Adirondacks!

One of them was a camel.

She never said a word.

They ain't the short of sheep a normal guy would date, and that's
that.

Mottos of the week:

I also think it's a good idea to find the person who first dreamed up
this scheme and beat the crap out of them for being so stupid.

A good tea cozy can hold more blood than you might imagine.

Let's not worry about this shortage of comprehension you're
exhibiting.

Another usenet intellectual heard from.

Can't you just stick some folded up newspaper under it?

Unfortunately that joke doesn't translate to Finnish.

Top posting? Even Barney Fife wasn't THAT clueless.

If you've got good quality Canuckistanian drugs and sex toys, the
tacos make themselves.

Time is a killer.

The story reads like it was stolen from a Hogan's Heroes plot.

I wouldn't want people to go off their meds just because I made a joke
about the name.

It is quite another thing to perversely misinterpret it.

Please don't ask about my thighs.

I blame Macy's.

I know that sounds suspiciously convenient, but it's true.

Maybe I should get myself chipped at the vet.

They're #1.

You can "explain" this all you like, it still makes zero sense.

Do occasionally them with celebrate, but consistently do not.

I think having my eyelids eaten by carnivorous moths would be worse
than that.

I'd save Laura Prepon.

Jesus wants me to have this big-screen TV!

I keep TELLING everyone that I am nowhere near as dumb as I look!

Lack of beer is the most exigent of circumstances.

I know this is true because I have thought about it very hard.

Boasts of the week:

I may not know Porno for Pyros but I by god know my Monkees.

I frequently "stand" in the Bow Valley near Banff and spin.

Google hides things from me on purpose.

You can call me "bizarre." I prefer "original thinker."

I'm too busy being on some snazzy brain meds!

I'm a photic sneezer and a geezer.

I once owned a dog who would sneeze on command.

One of my proudest moments was when I nearly killed Peter Boulding.

Compliments of the week:

Yer arms is old.

You drive like I fuck!

Confessions of the week:

I just didn't have the oomph to google.

Nan found grubs in the Veg-o-matic.

I've never seen in the Bible any mention of elliptical orbits, nor
have I seen in the Koran any mention of quadratic equations.

I have no idea when Bush went nuts.

If I had a daughter, I wouldn't want to send her to a triple X rated
high school.

Over 5 decades on this earth and I've never heard a pink nipple joke.

We are going to keep you awake with quotations from Donald Rumsfeld.

I never knew my smack habit would make me feel all patriotic inside.

I'd pay a lot for cheekbones.

I'd fuck in a Denny's.

Questions of the week:

Is it the start of the stingray revolution?

How do you feel about "Miss America"?

Was my explanation so cogent that it required no clarification, or so
incoherent that no one bothered to seek clarification?

How much is an Apple Jacks mug worth?

What's going on in Olathe?

Wouldn't it be odd if people's height fluctuated as much as some
people's weight does?

Ever try to slit your wrists real good with a disposable razor?

Do you know how much my lawyer charges me to do that?

Brain tumor, anyone?

Advice of the week:

Invite at least 185 people you don't really like because of their
strange hygiene habits to come and visit for a couple of months.
Exchange clothes with them.

Some Islamic guy should start a rumor on the internet that he invented
Al Gore.

I shouldn't be too proud of that wording.

I bet if you gave a funeral home enough money they would bury your
dead iPod.

It's better to have round manhole covers than sqaure ones because the
manholes are round!

Movies of the week:

Stingrays on a Plane

TV show of the week:

Don't Touch That Raccoon!

Books of the week:

the chain of blame

Invention of the week:

clam level

Pets of the week:

Poor little misshapen cow
a pitbull with wings
Fat-assed sheep

Quasi-original song lyrics of the week:

Oh, Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree
You smell like pine tar to me.

Communication techniques of the week:

itsy-bitsy words, copious hand gestures and occasional doodles

Suggestive hijinx of the week:

Open wireless is open to anyone to sniff your packets.

It's been years since I've experienced Shoe Lust, and I thought the
immunity was permanent.

a Christmas tree with a big penis!

He pitched better after he wiped it off.

Those penises sure hurt.

Last weekend I damn near injured myself trying to mount a tractor
tire.

Boron and I have seen it and can vouch for its size.

Foods of the week:

pork mead
Kitty Litter Cake
brain tumor cocktails

CDs of the week:

The Equation of Time

Movie tagline of the week:

I am SICK and TIRED of these MOTHERFUCKING COWS on this MOTHERFUCKING
MOUNTAIN!

The names have been changed to protect the ignorant.

Superhero sidekicks of the week:

Danger Mom
squirrel whisperer
Mr. Python-sketch-quoter

Words of the week (brought to you by future unborn potential murder
victims):

Texalese
nepic
mondegreen
Martosynchronous
Hairshorts
inspissate
histobunk
testilying
moolester
fuzzle
Wossanmfer
quixotry

--
Issues with the editorial policy, or spotted an error? See
http://blinkynet.net/stuff/groosum_mary.html

Dana Carpender

Oct 27, 2006, 4:58:54 PM10/27/06

groo wrote:

> In honor of Zip Code Poker, here's the
> 27-Oct-06 AFCA penguin/HAMSTER/shark/mole/finch Summary

Ahhhhh. <pours fresh cup of tea and settles in for the most satisfying
10 minutes of the week>

Dana

Dana Carpender

Oct 27, 2006, 5:05:34 PM10/27/06

groo wrote:

> I once owned a dog who would sneeze on command.

Ohmygosh! I missed this in the original thread. I, too, had a dog who
would sneeze on command. I feel the warmth of the camaraderie that
comes with having odd and meaningless things in common.

Dana

Boron Elgar

Oct 27, 2006, 6:30:01 PM10/27/06
On 27 Oct 2006 13:23:16 -0700, "groo" <afca...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In honor of Zip Code Poker, here's the
>27-Oct-06 AFCA penguin/HAMSTER/shark/mole/finch Summary

Bon, bon, bon!

Merci.

Boron

Boron Elgar

Oct 27, 2006, 6:30:46 PM10/27/06

Surely you read faster than that!

Boron

groo

Oct 27, 2006, 6:33:31 PM10/27/06

I much prefer cupcakes to bon-bons.

> Merci.

Gesundheit!

Boron Elgar

Oct 27, 2006, 6:53:08 PM10/27/06

That is why I offered you a trifecta.

>> Merci.
>>

>Gesundheit!

Gesundheit ist besser als Krankheit.

Boron

HVS

Oct 27, 2006, 6:58:56 PM10/27/06
On 27 Oct 2006, groo wrote

> Gesundheit!

It certainly does, as the bishop said to the actress.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

Bill Turlock

Oct 27, 2006, 7:55:05 PM10/27/06

I'll make some especially for you if you come to the quasi-annual
BA/AFC-A/MF Brownie Bake-Off. (Cupcakes, that is) (Any flavor you
want, as long as it's chocolate)

Bill

Lisa Ann

Oct 27, 2006, 7:25:00 PM10/27/06
"groo" <afca...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> In honor of Zip Code Poker, here's the
> 27-Oct-06 AFCA penguin/HAMSTER/shark/mole/finch Summary

<snipped proof of our collective genius>

Thanks, groo, for reminding me once again why I hang out here...

Lisa Ann

Snidely

Oct 27, 2006, 8:08:04 PM10/27/06
A return much anticpated and welcomed!

But I think we should do some random testing to make sure no one is
juicing in AFCA.

/dps

art...@yahoo.com

Oct 27, 2006, 8:22:33 PM10/27/06

Juice has too much sugar in it. I'll stick to fresh fruit.

art...@yahoo.com

Oct 27, 2006, 8:24:02 PM10/27/06

Is the dog that sneezes on command a German Shephard?

Dana Carpender

Oct 27, 2006, 9:07:01 PM10/27/06

art...@yahoo.com wrote:

I'm drinking cheap light beer, myself.

Dana

darkon

Oct 27, 2006, 9:44:37 PM10/27/06
Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote:

Amstel? I'm having Foster's at the moment.

Dana Carpender

Oct 27, 2006, 9:48:49 PM10/27/06

darkon wrote:

No, no, I said *cheap* light beer. Milwaukee's Best Light. Which is
Miller Lite in a different can.

Dana

Opus the Penguin

Oct 27, 2006, 9:51:06 PM10/27/06
Boron Elgar (boron...@hotmail.com) wrote:
> Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote:
>>groo wrote:
>>
>>> In honor of Zip Code Poker, here's the
>>> 27-Oct-06 AFCA penguin/HAMSTER/shark/mole/finch Summary
>>>

>>Ahhhhh. <pours fresh cup of tea and settles in for the most
>>satisfying 10 minutes of the week>
>>
>>Dana
>
> Surely you read faster than that!

Don't interrupt Dana and Rick during their special time.

--
Opus the Penguin
The best darn penguin in all of Usenet

Opus the Penguin

Oct 27, 2006, 9:51:06 PM10/27/06
groo (afca...@gmail.com) wrote:

> I'm a photic sneezer and a geezer.

And a midnight squeezer?

I missed this one when it came around. It sounds like lost lyrics to a
Steve Miller Band song.

Boron Elgar

Oct 27, 2006, 9:53:15 PM10/27/06
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 01:51:06 GMT, Opus the Penguin
<opusthepen...@gmail.com> wrote:

>groo (afca...@gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> I'm a photic sneezer and a geezer.
>
>And a midnight squeezer?
>
>I missed this one when it came around. It sounds like lost lyrics to a
>Steve Miller Band song.

Papa doesn't sleep at night.

Boron

darkon

Oct 27, 2006, 10:02:30 PM10/27/06
Dana Carpender <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote:

Ah, Milwaukee's Beast. I drank a lot of that in college, along with
Black Label and Schaefer IIRC. Old Dutch and Old German.... I don't
drink as much or as often as I used to, so even though I'm not the
connoisseur of beer some folks here are, I go for somewhat more
expensive beers nowadays. I had a Bass at the bar where I picked up
my usual Friday hot wings, and a couple of Fosters since getting
home.

¡Que Barbara!

Oct 27, 2006, 10:13:41 PM10/27/06

Those two songs, plus "Walk This Way," would hit the trifecta at any of
my high school dances.

Que "see-saw swingin' " Barbara!

huey.c...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2006, 10:37:35 PM10/27/06

HEY! WE TOLD YOU NOT TO BOTHER DANA AND RICK DURING THEIR SPECIAL TIME!

--
Huey

groo

Oct 27, 2006, 11:25:47 PM10/27/06
Bill Turlock <"Bill Turlock "@sonnnic.invalid> wrote:

> BA/AFC-A/MF

?????

--
"There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest
bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite park ranger

Les Albert

Oct 28, 2006, 12:20:07 AM10/28/06
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 03:25:47 GMT, groo <afca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Bill Turlock <"Bill Turlock "@sonnnic.invalid> wrote:

>> BA/AFC-A/MF

>?????

Bank of America/American Football Conference/Mother Fucker.

Les

John Hatpin

Oct 28, 2006, 9:25:50 AM10/28/06
darkon wrote:

These days, my home consumption is pretty much limited to imported
Belgian Stella Artois. I buy it by the case (24x500ml), and a nearby
shop does that for GBP18, as opposed to the GBP22.50 I was paying
another shop when I lived at Marianne's place. Both include delivery.

Oddly, there's another place a couple of miles away that takes orders
over the interweb - http://www.booze4u.com/ - but they charge too
much. They deliver rapidly, though, around 30 minutes maximum, so I
occasionally use them if I'm thirsty and impatient and the fridge is
dry. The other places deliver after the shop closes at 8pm/9pm.
--
John Hatpin

Mary

Oct 28, 2006, 11:37:12 AM10/28/06

No, no. I think you mean, we should do some random testing to make sure
that no one is failing to juice in AFCA.

Mary

Mary

Oct 28, 2006, 11:38:41 AM10/28/06
Dana Carpender wrote:

> No, no, I said *cheap* light beer. Milwaukee's Best Light. Which is
> Miller Lite in a different can.

See, now, what I don't understand is how someone who's so choosy about
what she eats can drink a) cheap watery beer, and b) from a can.

Beer from a can tastes like a can. Get the bottled stuff, at least.

Mary

Dana Carpender

Oct 28, 2006, 1:59:36 PM10/28/06

Mary wrote:

But the majority of my choosiness about food has to do with its
nutritional impact on my body. I'm really not a hard-core foodie. I'm
a hard-core health food freak. So I choose my beer far more for its
carb count than anything else.

I could buy Miller Lite in a bottle, but I'm on a tight budget right
now, so I'd rather buy the exact same beer under the MB label and save a
buck.

Dana

Mary

Oct 28, 2006, 2:29:37 PM10/28/06

Yeah, different strokes. I have a different approach to beer. But
you've brought up a different question. I know that Milwaukee's Best is
a Miller product, but I've always heard that it's not exactly the same,
but rather they'd have these huge kettles of beer, and the Miller Lite
comes from the top of the kettle, and the Milwaukee's Best comes from
the bottom and thus has a less clear flavor or something along those lines.

From what you're saying, you can't tell any difference, though. Does
anyone here have beermaking as a Cower, Mortals subject?

Mary

Dana Carpender

Oct 28, 2006, 2:40:06 PM10/28/06

Mary wrote:

> Dana Carpender wrote:
>

>> Mary wrote:

>>> See, now, what I don't understand is how someone who's so choosy
>>> about what she eats can drink a) cheap watery beer, and b) from a can.
>>>
>>> Beer from a can tastes like a can. Get the bottled stuff, at least.
>>

>> But the majority of my choosiness about food has to do with its
>> nutritional impact on my body. I'm really not a hard-core foodie.
>> I'm a hard-core health food freak. So I choose my beer far more for
>> its carb count than anything else.
>>
>> I could buy Miller Lite in a bottle, but I'm on a tight budget right
>> now, so I'd rather buy the exact same beer under the MB label and save
>> a buck.
>

> Yeah, different strokes. I have a different approach to beer. But
> you've brought up a different question. I know that Milwaukee's Best is
> a Miller product, but I've always heard that it's not exactly the same,
> but rather they'd have these huge kettles of beer, and the Miller Lite
> comes from the top of the kettle, and the Milwaukee's Best comes from
> the bottom and thus has a less clear flavor or something along those lines.

Well, and awhile back I met a woman who worked at a Miller brewery. I
asked if MB and ML were both the same beer in different cans. She said,
"Who told you that?" I told her I'd read the labels, and surmised that
it was the case, and asked if I was right. She affirmed that I was.

Dana

Blinky the Shark

Oct 28, 2006, 3:06:42 PM10/28/06
Mary wrote:

> Yeah, different strokes. I have a different approach to beer. But
> you've brought up a different question. I know that Milwaukee's Best is
> a Miller product, but I've always heard that it's not exactly the same,
> but rather they'd have these huge kettles of beer, and the Miller Lite
> comes from the top of the kettle, and the Milwaukee's Best comes from
> the bottom and thus has a less clear flavor or something along those lines.

Golly, that sounds really ULish.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Oct 28, 2006, 3:26:56 PM10/28/06
Mary wrote:

> Dana Carpender wrote:

Yup. Dr. H.
About the only thing he's really good at.

Charles

Mary

Oct 28, 2006, 3:34:17 PM10/28/06
Dana Carpender wrote:

> Well, and awhile back I met a woman who worked at a Miller brewery. I
> asked if MB and ML were both the same beer in different cans. She said,
> "Who told you that?" I told her I'd read the labels, and surmised that
> it was the case, and asked if I was right. She affirmed that I was.

It makes sense from the standpoint of production economies of scale.
It's a lot less expensive to make a lot of the same product than make a
little of three or four.

Mary

Stan

Oct 28, 2006, 5:46:30 PM10/28/06
Previously Dana Carpender wrote:

>groo wrote:
>

>> I once owned a dog who would sneeze on command.
>>

>Ohmygosh! I missed this in the original thread. I, too, had a dog who
>would sneeze on command. I feel the warmth of the camaraderie that
>comes with having odd and meaningless things in common.
>
>Dana

Motto!

No, sig! (With your permission)

--
"I feel the warmth of the camaraderie that
comes with having odd and meaningless things in common." Dana Carpender

Dana Carpender

Oct 28, 2006, 5:59:47 PM10/28/06

Stan wrote:

> Previously Dana Carpender wrote:
>

>>groo wrote:
>>

>>> I once owned a dog who would sneeze on command.
>>>

>>Ohmygosh! I missed this in the original thread. I, too, had a dog who
>>would sneeze on command. I feel the warmth of the camaraderie that
>>comes with having odd and meaningless things in common.
>>
>>Dana
>

> Motto!
>
> No, sig! (With your permission)

Of course!

Dana (flattered)

Charles Bishop

Oct 28, 2006, 11:24:28 PM10/28/06
In article <4aO0h.16878$GR....@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net>, "Charles Wm.
Dimmick" <cdim...@snet.net> wrote:

There's also line noise.

--
charles

John Hatpin

Oct 29, 2006, 7:41:23 AM10/29/06
Mary wrote:

>I know that Milwaukee's Best is
>a Miller product, but I've always heard that it's not exactly the same,
>but rather they'd have these huge kettles of beer, and the Miller Lite
>comes from the top of the kettle, and the Milwaukee's Best comes from
>the bottom and thus has a less clear flavor or something along those lines.
>
> From what you're saying, you can't tell any difference, though. Does
>anyone here have beermaking as a Cower, Mortals subject?

Maybe not a CM subject, but I used to brew beer a lot, and this
strikes me as an UL.

There's no difference between the beer at the top and the beer at the
bottom of a fermenting vessel, unless you're delving into the
sediment, which would be damned obvious when you drank the stuff.
Hell, it'd be obvious as soon as you poured it and looked at the murky
liquid.

I suspect that the UL propagates because people think that beer is
like milk, with the cream rising to the top. It doesn't work like
that.
--
John Hatpin

S. Checker

Nov 6, 2006, 3:06:23 PM11/6/06
Boron Elgar <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 Oct 2006 15:33:31 -0700, "groo" <afca...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>>> Bon, bon, bon!
>>
>>I much prefer cupcakes to bon-bons.
>>

> That is why I offered you a trifecta.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I want to have an open and honest campaign here
and that is why I feel you ought to know that my opponent, in addition
to being a one-time thespian, has publically offered to engage in a
trifecta!

--
sc - not conventionally handsome
The hearing ear is always found close to the speaking tongue, a custom

Glenn Dowdy

Nov 6, 2006, 6:47:23 PM11/6/06

"S. Checker" <spa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Boron Elgar <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>I much prefer cupcakes to bon-bons.
>>>

>> That is why I offered you a trifecta.
>>>

> Ladies and Gentlemen, I want to have an open and honest campaign here
> and that is why I feel you ought to know that my opponent, in addition
> to being a one-time thespian, has publically offered to engage in a
> trifecta!

Vote for Boron!

Glenn D.

Boron Elgar

Nov 6, 2006, 8:03:57 PM11/6/06

If elected, I will not serve.

Boron

groo

Nov 7, 2006, 5:58:31 PM11/7/06
> If elected, I will not serve.

How will I get my cupcakes?

huey.c...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2006, 6:04:39 PM11/7/06
groo <afca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Boron Elgar wrote:
> > > Vote for Boron!
> > If elected, I will not serve.
> How will I get my cupcakes?

We will volley for cupcakes.

...FOOD FIGHT!

--
Huey

Boron Elgar

Nov 7, 2006, 6:45:39 PM11/7/06
On 7 Nov 2006 14:58:31 -0800, "groo" <afca...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:47:23 GMT, "Glenn Dowdy"
>> <glenn.n...@hp.nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>> >"S. Checker" <spa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> >Vote for Boron!
>> >
>> If elected, I will not serve.
>>

>How will I get my cupcakes?

Full moon press at the bakery window?

Boron

groo

Nov 8, 2006, 11:56:28 AM11/8/06

Cupcakes, not buns!

--
One of the guys at work brought in excess cupcakes today. I didn't
understand the concept, but I took one.

Boron Elgar

Nov 8, 2006, 2:35:23 PM11/8/06
On 8 Nov 2006 08:56:28 -0800, "groo" <afca...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:

>> >How will I get my cupcakes?
>>
>> Full moon press at the bakery window?
>>

>Cupcakes, not buns!

With a little honey and a dollop of icing, I bet your buns become
cupcakes.

Boron