Bummer

John Dean

Apr 24, 2008, 7:55:01 PM4/24/08
After 10 years' fund raising, parishioners got a new roof on their church.
48 hours later the lead was stolen:

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/10year-church-roof-repair-is.4015700.jp

"LEAD from a newly repaired church roof has been stolen - just two days
after it was put in place.
It took parishioners at St John's, in Seaham, County Durham, a decade to
raise the £102,500 needed for repairs to be carried out on their beloved
church."

--
John Dean
Oxford

Les Albert

Apr 24, 2008, 8:20:55 PM4/24/08

God moves in a mysterious way,
His wonders to perform;
He plants his footsteps in the sea,
And rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never failing skill,
He treasures up his bright designs,
And works his sovereign will.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take,
The clouds ye so much dread,
It surely will rain in the church
because they stole the lead.

From "God Moves in Mysterious Ways" by William Cowper (mostly).

Paul Ciszek

Apr 24, 2008, 8:41:34 PM4/24/08

In article <67cl0eF...@mid.individual.net>,

I can understand why lead might have been used as a roofing material in
the past, but why wasn't something less toxic used to replace it?

--
Please reply to: | President Bush is promoting Peace and Democracy
pciszek at panix dot com | in the Middle East by selling Weapons to the

Les Albert

Apr 24, 2008, 8:48:29 PM4/24/08
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 00:41:34 +0000 (UTC), nos...@nospam.com (Paul
Ciszek) wrote:
>In article <67cl0eF...@mid.individual.net>,
>John Dean <john...@fraglineone.net> wrote:

>>After 10 years' fund raising, parishioners got a new roof on their church.
>>48 hours later the lead was stolen:
>>http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/10year-church-roof-repair-is.4015700.jp
>>"LEAD from a newly repaired church roof has been stolen - just two days
>>after it was put in place.
>>It took parishioners at St John's, in Seaham, County Durham, a decade to
>>raise the £102,500 needed for repairs to be carried out on their beloved
>>church."

>I can understand why lead might have been used as a roofing material in
>the past, but why wasn't something less toxic used to replace it?

A lead sheet roof can last 200 years. If it took the church 10 years
to raise the money to replace the roof then I guess they didn't want
to bothered with a roofing expense again in their lifetime, and
toxicity be damned.

Les

Snidely

Apr 24, 2008, 9:31:48 PM4/24/08
On Apr 24, 5:48 pm, Les Albert <lalbe...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 00:41:34 +0000 (UTC), nos...@nospam.com (Paul
>
> Ciszek) wrote:
> >In article <67cl0eF2m8ek...@mid.individual.net>,

> >John Dean <john-d...@fraglineone.net> wrote:
> >>After 10 years' fund raising, parishioners got a new roof on their church.
> >>48 hours later the lead was stolen:
> >>http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/10year-church-roof-repair-is.40157...

> >>"LEAD from a newly repaired church roof has been stolen - just two days
> >>after it was put in place.
> >>It took parishioners at St John's, in Seaham, County Durham, a decade to
> >>raise the £102,500 needed for repairs to be carried out on their beloved
> >>church."
> >I can understand why lead might have been used as a roofing material in
> >the past, but why wasn't something less toxic used to replace it?
>
> A lead sheet roof can last 200 years. If it took the church 10 years
> to raise the money to replace the roof then I guess they didn't want
> to bothered with a roofing expense again in their lifetime, and
> toxicity be damned.

Also, very few people will actually come in contact with it, and lead
oxide layer will reduce the rain contamination.

/dps

Raven-Poe

Apr 24, 2008, 9:40:51 PM4/24/08
Paul Ciszek <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> In article <67cl0eF...@mid.individual.net>,
> John Dean <john...@fraglineone.net> wrote:
> >After 10 years' fund raising, parishioners got a new roof on their church.
> >48 hours later the lead was stolen:
> >
> >http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/10year-church-roof-repair-is.4015700.jp
> >
> >"LEAD from a newly repaired church roof has been stolen - just two days
> >after it was put in place.
> >It took parishioners at St John's, in Seaham, County Durham, a decade to
> >raise the ?102,500 needed for repairs to be carried out on their beloved
> >church."

> I can understand why lead might have been used as a roofing material in
> the past, but why wasn't something less toxic used to replace it?

Because very few people actually try to ingest church roofs, and lead
works really really well.

Seriously, the environmetal impact of such stuff is trvial.

John
--
Here, have 10 Opus Points (TM)
Remove the dead poet to e-mail.

Bill Bonde ( 'the oblique allusion in lieu of the frontal attack' )

Apr 24, 2008, 7:24:27 PM4/24/08

Paul Ciszek wrote:

> In article <67cl0eF...@mid.individual.net>,
> John Dean <john...@fraglineone.net> wrote:
> >After 10 years' fund raising, parishioners got a new roof on their church.
> >48 hours later the lead was stolen:
> >
> >http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/10year-church-roof-repair-is.4015700.jp
> >
> >"LEAD from a newly repaired church roof has been stolen - just two days
> >after it was put in place.
> >It took parishioners at St John's, in Seaham, County Durham, a decade to
> >raise the £102,500 needed for repairs to be carried out on their beloved
> >church."
>
> I can understand why lead might have been used as a roofing material in
> the past, but why wasn't something less toxic used to replace it?

The church members have been getting their drinking water from
rains that drain off the previous lead roof, so they have stunted
growth, a surplus arm, and can't remember much. It's a catchment
catch-22!

--
"Question, two men starving to death decide to eat their hair like
spaghetti. Is that funny?"

Message has been deleted

Bill Bonde ( 'the oblique allusion in lieu of the frontal attack' )

Apr 24, 2008, 11:28:50 PM4/24/08

Raven-Poe wrote:

> Paul Ciszek <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> > In article <67cl0eF...@mid.individual.net>,
> > John Dean <john...@fraglineone.net> wrote:
> > >After 10 years' fund raising, parishioners got a new roof on their church.
> > >48 hours later the lead was stolen:
> > >
> > >http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/10year-church-roof-repair-is.4015700.jp
> > >
> > >"LEAD from a newly repaired church roof has been stolen - just two days
> > >after it was put in place.
> > >It took parishioners at St John's, in Seaham, County Durham, a decade to
> > >raise the ?102,500 needed for repairs to be carried out on their beloved
> > >church."
>
> > I can understand why lead might have been used as a roofing material in
> > the past, but why wasn't something less toxic used to replace it?
>
> Because very few people actually try to ingest church roofs, and lead
> works really really well.
>
> Seriously, the environmetal impact of such stuff is trvial.

For our next ecological worry, we just found out that power lines
are coated in lead. The horror!!!

Snidely

Apr 25, 2008, 1:57:23 PM4/25/08
On Apr 24, 8:28 pm, "Bill Bonde ( 'the oblique allusion in lieu of the

frontal attack' )" <tributyltinpa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> For our next ecological worry, we just found out that power lines
> are coated in lead. The horror!!!

Ask LAFD about that.

/dps

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Apr 25, 2008, 7:13:22 PM4/25/08
Paul Ciszek wrote:
> In article <67cl0eF...@mid.individual.net>,
> John Dean <john...@fraglineone.net> wrote:
>> After 10 years' fund raising, parishioners got a new roof on their church.
>> 48 hours later the lead was stolen:
>>
>> http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/10year-church-roof-repair-is.4015700.jp
>>
>> "LEAD from a newly repaired church roof has been stolen - just two days
>> after it was put in place.
>> It took parishioners at St John's, in Seaham, County Durham, a decade to
>> raise the £102,500 needed for repairs to be carried out on their beloved
>> church."
>
> I can understand why lead might have been used as a roofing material in
> the past, but why wasn't something less toxic used to replace it?

There is relatively little toxic problem from a lead roof, far
less than lead in paint chips.

Charles

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Apr 25, 2008, 7:20:15 PM4/25/08
Raven-Poe wrote:
> Paul Ciszek <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> In article <67cl0eF...@mid.individual.net>,
>> John Dean <john...@fraglineone.net> wrote:
>>> After 10 years' fund raising, parishioners got a new roof on their church.
>>> 48 hours later the lead was stolen:
>>>
>>> http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/10year-church-roof-repair-is.4015700.jp
>>>
>>> "LEAD from a newly repaired church roof has been stolen - just two days
>>> after it was put in place.
>>> It took parishioners at St John's, in Seaham, County Durham, a decade to
>>> raise the ?102,500 needed for repairs to be carried out on their beloved
>>> church."
>
>> I can understand why lead might have been used as a roofing material in
>> the past, but why wasn't something less toxic used to replace it?
>
> Because very few people actually try to ingest church roofs, and lead
> works really really well.
>
> Seriously, the environmetal impact of such stuff is trvial.

There is a story in geological circles about T S Ary [1] testifying
before a congressional committee investigating the potential toxicity
of lead ore [galena] on the people who mined it. As he sat at the
witness table T S had a small bowl in front of him. From time to
time while he was testifying he would take a few pieces of whatever
was in the bowl, pop them into his mouth, and crunch on them. Finally
a congressman became curious enough to ask him what was in the bowl.
"Galena", he answered.

[1] At the time, director of the U.S. Bureau of Mines

Charles Bishop

Apr 25, 2008, 9:42:50 PM4/25/08
In article <PGtQj.604$1b7...@newssvr13.news.prodigy.net>, "Charles Wm.
Dimmick" <cdim...@snet.net> wrote:

Heh. I don't recall eating any, but part of my childhood was spent in
Galena, KS. Our mom worried about is roaming about because there were old
mines a short walk away from our house. Somewhere I have some quartz and
galena on a rock.

--
charles

Pushmi-Pullyu

Apr 26, 2008, 2:35:42 AM4/26/08
On Apr 25, 4:13 pm, "Charles Wm. Dimmick" <cdimm...@snet.net> wrote:

> There is relatively little toxic problem from a lead roof, far
> less than lead in paint chips.

They really shouldn't make chips with paint. Better to use potatoes or
corn, add a little salt... much safer (and tastier) that way.

Greg Goss

Apr 27, 2008, 6:02:09 PM4/27/08
nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:

>In article <67cl0eF...@mid.individual.net>,
>John Dean <john...@fraglineone.net> wrote:
>>After 10 years' fund raising, parishioners got a new roof on their church.
>>48 hours later the lead was stolen:
>>
>>http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/10year-church-roof-repair-is.4015700.jp
>>
>>"LEAD from a newly repaired church roof has been stolen - just two days
>>after it was put in place.
>>It took parishioners at St John's, in Seaham, County Durham, a decade to
>>raise the £102,500 needed for repairs to be carried out on their beloved
>>church."
>
>I can understand why lead might have been used as a roofing material in
>the past, but why wasn't something less toxic used to replace it?

People tend not to eat roofs. Something toxic prevents moss from
growing. My father would drop a handful of pennies into the eaves of
our house claiming that copper would prevent stuff from growing in the
eaves.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27