See Me on TV!

Briar Rose

Apr 27, 2001, 10:12:47 PM4/27/01

Erich and I went to a taping of Talk Soup today.

There were many, many, many audience shots. Look for
me standing right in front of Aisha during the "madhouse"
promo. You can mostly only see my glasses and head;
there are a lot of people in front of me.

There were two audience seating sections, both of which
got lots of screen time. During the show, Erich and I
are in the audience section _without_ the guy in the
rainbow wig. We're in the (house) leftmost chairs in the
last row.

Erich is wearing a grey shirt and recently got a haircut.
He has brown, mostly greying hair and basically looks
like a navy guy on leave. I'm wearing a green
longsleeved shirt and have the front of my hair back
in two small braids, the rest is long. My hair is brown
and I wear glasses. I look about 20 lbs heavier on camera
than I am.

Our episode will air this weekend:

Friday 7:30PM - 8:00PM
Saturday 1:00AM - 1:30AM
7:30AM - 8:00AM
12:30PM - 1:00PM
Sunday 2:00AM - 2:30AM
9:00AM - 9:30AM
12:00PM - 12:30PM
Monday 2:30AM - 3:00AM

:) Connie-Lynne

--
"Thank God for Frito-Lay. It did not market Chee-tos as 'dangerously
cheesy' until after, and ONLY after, it had developed a Chee-to whose

GrapeApe

Apr 28, 2001, 12:44:47 AM4/28/01
Last time I saw Talk Soup it had the guy with the skunk patch on the side of
his head, and was shot in a closet with the crew as its audience.

Its more like Howdy Doody these days? Thats swell.

Al Yellon

Apr 28, 2001, 10:51:47 AM4/28/01
"Briar Rose" <cly...@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message

> I look about 20 lbs heavier on camera
> than I am.

The camera will do that to just about anyone.

Mirhanda Sarko

Apr 28, 2001, 12:05:51 PM4/28/01
"Al Yellon" <tvdir...@REMOVETHISdbfc.org> wrote in alt.fan.cecil-adams:

If someone would make a camera that makes you look 10 pounds *lighter* he'd
make a fortune!

Mirhanda

--
Decapitate my addy to email me

I know who you are!! You are the character who occasionally appears in the
comic strip "Sylvia", as "The Woman Who Does Everything More Beautifully
Than You Do".

Les, speaking of me, in alt.fan.cecil-adams

kay w

Apr 28, 2001, 12:37:20 PM4/28/01
Previously:

C-L:

>>> I look about 20 lbs heavier on camera than I am.

Al:

>>The camera will do that to just about anyone.

Mirhanda:

>If someone would make a camera that makes you look 10 pounds *lighter* he'd
>make a fortune!

You know, that's an excellent idea. Why do cameras make people look heavier,
and what would it take to make a lens to counteract whatever that is?

kay w

Address munged. AOL isn't necessarily comatose, evidence to the contrary not
withstanding.

RM Mentock

Apr 28, 2001, 12:26:30 PM4/28/01

I've heard this explained as a perspective effect. When you look
in a mirror, you're usually close to the mirror and you can't really
see "around the edge". For example, we, being close to the
earth, see the horizon as a few miles out--that is, the diameter of
the visible earth is a lot smaller than the diameter of the actual
earth. In other words, your body "horizon" is tighter
than if you were to step back ten steps.

Television cameras, though, are usually a good distance away, and
get close ups with telephoto--so they do see "around the edge," and
a profile is larger.

If this is true, it's not that the cameras add pounds, it's that
you see what others see.

--
RM Mentock

panta rhei -- Heraclitis
http://mentock.home.mindspring.com/

Philip Newton

Apr 28, 2001, 12:41:32 PM4/28/01
On 28 Apr 2001 02:12:47 GMT, cly...@ugcs.caltech.edu (Briar Rose) wrote:

> There were many, many, many audience shots.

JPEG! JPEG!

(Anyone have a TV card for his computer and wants to post some screen captures?)

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <nospam...@gmx.li>
That really is my address; no need to remove anything to reply.

GrapeApe

Apr 28, 2001, 12:50:10 PM4/28/01
>If someone would make a camera that makes you look 10 pounds *lighter* he'd
>
>make a fortune!

Anamorphic lenses sort of do this. You might see some shots in the titles of
movies on TV where the movies were shot in some sort of cinemascope process
that relied on anamorphic lensing to squeeze the longer landscape into a
squarer box on the film.

I think I have seen entire Spaghetti Westerns aired in this fashion, which can
make them even more surreal.

GrapeApe

Apr 28, 2001, 12:51:46 PM4/28/01

>You know, that's an excellent idea. Why do cameras make people look heavier,
>and what would it take to make a lens to counteract whatever that is?

But what if you turned the camera sideways?

Easier to change the lighting so the lard falls in shadow than look at the
world through a fun house mirror.

GrapeApe

Apr 28, 2001, 1:09:30 PM4/28/01
>I've heard this explained as a perspective effect. When you look
>in a mirror, you're usually close to the mirror and you can't really
>see "around the edge". For example, we, being close to the
>earth, see the horizon as a few miles out--that is, the diameter of
>the visible earth is a lot smaller than the diameter of the actual
>earth. In other words, your body "horizon" is tighter
>than if you were to step back ten steps.
>
>Television cameras, though, are usually a good distance away, and
>get close ups with telephoto--so they do see "around the edge," and
>a profile is larger.
>
>If this is true, it's not that the cameras add pounds, it's that
>you see what others see.

As far as perspective goes, with a 35mm camera, the normal lens, a 50mm, is
about like what other people see. Most people using point and shoot cameras
meant for candid shots of a couple of folks at once in tight spaces, are using
a wide angle lens.

Portrait photographers will use a telephoto of around 105mm or so, not only
looks better, but it allows the photographer to encroach much less on the
subjects personal space while still getting a head and shoulders composition.

You can look just as fat in a mirror. Usually bathrooms can have relatively
flattering lighting, if there is merely one bulb slightly over the medicine
cabinet sort of deal. It is when light rushes in from the sides that our extra
chins show. Clothing stores take care to use mirrors that might slim
horizontal proportions a nudge, so you will think the clothes look flattering.
Many other reflective surfaces may not take this into consideration, store and
car windows can show you up a bit worse, and perhaps closer to the way the
world is seeing you (as video or a still camera might often do as well)

Lalbert1

Apr 28, 2001, 1:23:50 PM4/28/01
In article <3AEAEF36...@mindspring.com>, RM Mentock
<men...@mindspring.com> writes:

In other words, you don't just *look* twenty pounds heavier, you *are* twenty
pounds overweight.

Les

kay w

Apr 28, 2001, 1:31:14 PM4/28/01
Previously, Les said:

>In other words, you don't just *look* twenty pounds heavier, you *are* twenty
>pounds overweight.

Oh, no, no. It's just these pants are reeeely baggy, and the tshirt kinda
bunches up right here, see? And with my hair this way, it doesn't really
flatter my face. But look...if I turn this way, and hold my tummy in, and then
twist a little, like this, and stand up really straight, and tilt my head just
so....see? Practically thin.

Lalbert1

Apr 28, 2001, 1:43:21 PM4/28/01
In article <20010428133114...@ng-fm1.aol.com>, scu...@aol.comatose
(kay w) writes:

>Previously, Les said:
>
>>In other words, you don't just *look* twenty pounds heavier, you *are*
>twenty
>>pounds overweight.
>
>Oh, no, no. It's just these pants are reeeely baggy, and the tshirt kinda
>bunches up right here, see? And with my hair this way, it doesn't really
>flatter my face. But look...if I turn this way, and hold my tummy in, and
>then
>twist a little, like this, and stand up really straight, and tilt my head
>just
>so....see? Practically thin.

I understand. And any snacks between meals don't count as extra calories
because it was not food on a plate.

Les

Sean Houtman

Apr 28, 2001, 1:45:22 PM4/28/01
From: scu...@aol.comatose (kay w)

>You know, that's an excellent idea. Why do cameras make people look heavier,
>and what would it take to make a lens to counteract whatever that is?

They don't make me look any heavier than I am, and they don't make other people
I see look any heavier. I think that it is in the eye of the subject, you think
you are skinnier than you are.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page; http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage
Last updated 04-15-01 with 65 pictures of Carlsbad Caverns "BIg Room".

GrapeApe

Apr 28, 2001, 2:05:29 PM4/28/01
Would your rather start your day looking at a flattering mirror (perhaps a bit
of narrowing, in flattering lighting) or one that was terribly unflattering,
perhaps some flourescents to show up your splotchy complexion?

I think most of us start our days at mirrors that show us in a better light
than we might appear if we were walking around in public in that same
condition.

Some use ugly mirrors to try to improve their appearance across situations
(magnifying makeup mirrors with several colors of light source)

Mirhanda Sarko

Apr 28, 2001, 2:10:19 PM4/28/01
lalb...@aol.com (Lalbert1) wrote in alt.fan.cecil-adams:

And broken cookies have no calories at all, because the broken area lets
all the calories leak out.

GrapeApe

Apr 28, 2001, 2:15:00 PM4/28/01
>>I understand. And any snacks between meals don't count as extra
>>calories because it was not food on a plate.
>
>And broken cookies have no calories at all, because the broken area lets
>
>all the calories leak out.

And cold food burns more calories as we have to melt the ice cream to digest
it.

Al Yellon

Apr 28, 2001, 3:02:43 PM4/28/01
"Mirhanda Sarko" <azz...@bellsouthCAPITATE.net> wrote in message

> >I understand. And any snacks between meals don't count as extra
> >calories because it was not food on a plate.
>
> And broken cookies have no calories at all, because the broken area lets
> all the calories leak out.

And you can eat MORE of lowfat stuff, because the less fat there is, the
less fat you get!

Rich Clancey

Apr 28, 2001, 5:49:04 PM4/28/01
GrapeApe (grap...@aol.comjunk) wrote:

+ I think most of us start our days at mirrors that show us in a better light
+ than we might appear if we were walking around in public in that same
+ condition.

Cripes! Who can stand looking at himself in a mirror in the
morning? Even when I was young and beautiful I could never stand that
smug bastard staring back at me.
--
rich clancey r...@world.std.com rcla...@massart.edu
Every man who is not a monster, a mathematician, or a mad

Lalbert1

Apr 28, 2001, 9:22:37 PM4/28/01
In article <GCIv9...@world.std.com>, r...@world.std.com (Rich Clancey) writes:

>GrapeApe (grap...@aol.comjunk) wrote:
>
>+ I think most of us start our days at mirrors that show us in a better light
>+ than we might appear if we were walking around in public in that same
>+ condition.
>
> Cripes! Who can stand looking at himself in a mirror in the
>morning? Even when I was young and beautiful I could never stand that
>smug bastard staring back at me.

You are right. I don't like looking in my Dorian Grey mirror in the morning.
I have tried looking away, but the shaving cuts and gashes make things worse.

Les

GrapeApe

Apr 28, 2001, 10:31:01 PM4/28/01
>+ I think most of us start our days at mirrors that show us in a better
>light
>+ than we might appear if we were walking around in public in that same
>+ condition.
>
> Cripes! Who can stand looking at himself in a mirror in the
>morning? Even when I was young and beautiful I could never stand that
>smug bastard staring back at me.

I'm merely saying that that mirror is friendlier than the same mirror with you
in that same condition at work for example. And they are often designed to
flatter compared to other reflective surfaces. Having a single incandescent
light source three or four feet away a foot or two above your head is
relatively flattering compared to being in room with a bank of flourescents
every few feet along the ceiling.

Nostradamus

Apr 29, 2001, 12:13:18 AM4/29/01
On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 16:05:51 GMT, azz...@bellsouthCAPITATE.net
(Mirhanda Sarko) wrote:

>"Al Yellon" <tvdir...@REMOVETHISdbfc.org> wrote in alt.fan.cecil-adams:
>
>>"Briar Rose" <cly...@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message
>>> I look about 20 lbs heavier on camera than I am.
>>
>>The camera will do that to just about anyone.
>
>If someone would make a camera that makes you look 10 pounds *lighter* he'd
>make a fortune!

Most any retoucher can do it. Around here, retoucher liposuction costs
about $100. Not covered by insurance (it's "cosmetic") but there are
no side effects, no scars and no risks.

Big Iron5

Apr 29, 2001, 6:05:47 AM4/29/01
I've blown it so far -- fie on me for vegging! I'll have to check for the
Sunday showings.

FWIW, I think TV makes you look chubbier, too. I was on local cable access a
couple of times and I thought that I was looking 10% heftier, and I also
thought my "co-stars" looked that way, too.

Greg Goss

Apr 29, 2001, 4:45:54 PM4/29/01
lalb...@aol.com (Lalbert1) wrote:

>In other words, you don't just *look* twenty pounds heavier, you *are* twenty
>pounds overweight.

I would love to be twenty pounds overweight.

GrapeApe

Apr 29, 2001, 4:49:57 PM4/29/01
>>In other words, you don't just *look* twenty pounds heavier, you *are*
>twenty
>>pounds overweight.
>
>I would love to be twenty pounds overweight.

I would love to have a business where I could instantly redistribute the excess
to those who needed it. But I wonder if I could find enough recipients for the
donors.

Rick B.

Apr 29, 2001, 4:53:02 PM4/29/01
They ran a "Mysteries and Scandals" promo right after the game show
parody, and I decided that A.J. Benza would make a fine replacement for
Anne Robinson.

"Hey, pal. Looks like you're the weakest link. Ain't it a bitch."

Rick "'Next: with no money and no self-respect, our losers go home to a
downhill spiral of booze, pills and kinky sex. But even knowing that
won't prepare you for the twisted way their story ends'" B.

Oriole Adams

Apr 29, 2001, 7:32:53 PM4/29/01
>FWIW, I think TV makes you look chubbier, too. I was on local cable access a
>couple of times and I thought that I was looking 10% heftier, and I also
>thought my "co-stars" looked that way, too.

I was on a local access show once, too, and I thought I looked huge. When we
were watching the tape at home, I commented as it began, "remember the TV
camera adds 10 lbs to your figure", and my snarky brother asked "wow, how many
cameras were on you, anyway?"

~ Oriole ~~
The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw...

Opus the Penguin

Apr 30, 2001, 11:00:30 AM4/30/01
Oriole Adams wrote:
>>FWIW, I think TV makes you look chubbier, too. I was on local cable
>>access a couple of times and I thought that I was looking 10% heftier,
>>and I also thought my "co-stars" looked that way, too.
>
>I was on a local access show once, too, and I thought I looked huge. When
>we were watching the tape at home, I commented as it began, "remember
>the TV camera adds 10 lbs to your figure", and my snarky brother asked
>"wow, how many cameras were on you, anyway?"

Later, they ripped his line off and used it in an episode of _Friends_.

Oriole Adams

Apr 30, 2001, 6:45:06 PM4/30/01
>Later, they ripped his line off and used it in an episode of _Friends_.

More likely vice versa. I don't watch the show, but I think he does (he's
mentioned that he thinks Lisa Kudrow is hot).