Dog Groomers Fight War on Terror

Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many splendored thing )

Dec 7, 2009, 9:02:41 AM12/7/09
I've been watching my mother's Shit-Zoo dog while my folks are in
Florida. It's kind of a foofy breed, but he's pretty nice.

Anyway, they're about to come back so I thought it would be a good
idea to take him to get groomed and cleaned. I tried washing him
myself once, but he was mad at me for two whole days after that. I
can't blame him really. If he tried to give me a bath I'd be upset
too. Mostly surprised, but also upset.

When I went the dog groomer lady to make an appointment for him she
asked me what his name was, so she could write it down in her
appointment book. I told her his name is "Osama". She seemed to
really be upset about that and wouldn't write it down in the book.
After a while she just wrote "N/A" In the spot for his name.

His name isn't really Osama, I just made that up. But I never would
have guessed that there would be a rule about not naming your pets
after terrorists.

http://thesedatedapepics.wordpress.com/2009/12/07/andy-the-dog/

pre-groomed

jeffinputnam

Dec 7, 2009, 9:34:38 AM12/7/09
On 12/7/2009 9:02 AM, Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many splendored

I like your sense of humor.

landotter

Dec 7, 2009, 10:17:47 AM12/7/09
On Dec 7, 8:02 am, "Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many splendored
thing )" <sedated...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> His name isn't really Osama, I just made that up.  But I never would
> have guessed that there would be a rule about not naming your pets
> after terrorists.
>
> http://thesedatedapepics.wordpress.com/2009/12/07/andy-the-dog/
>
> pre-groomed

Last I checked, you can name your dog Tim or Terry with little
consequence.

Hieronymus Agricola

Dec 7, 2009, 10:23:27 AM12/7/09
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 06:02:41 -0800, Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many
splendored thing ) wrote
(in article
<671f4eaa-cf7d-4312...@l13g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>):

> When I went the dog groomer lady to make an appointment for him she
> asked me what his name was, so she could write it down in her
> appointment book. I told her his name is "Osama". She seemed to
> really be upset about that and wouldn't write it down in the book.
> After a while she just wrote "N/A" In the spot for his name.

Mi esposa wrote a short story set in the rural south. It included a minor
character that you or I would call a "redneck" were we being charitable.
This redneck had a dog, a German Shepherd mix named "Hitler".

Esposa grew up in the rural south, but had the sense and sanity to get out
when she could. In a minor lapse of that sanity, she married me. A year
after we married, she took me home to meet the folks and family. Most of
them were decent, nearly normal, salt-of-the-earth people. But there were
some "rednecks", too. They're not called that, though, bless their hearts;
they're called "good ol' boys."

Anyway, It would not have surprised me to find that one of these "good ol'
boys" had named his German Shepherd "Hitler". He wouldn't have done so
because he favored Nazis -- "heck, we whupped them bastards" -- but because
it was likely the only "tough" German name he knew. Even if Hitler was a
Nazi, he was one baaaad good ol' boy, right? Bless his hort. (Also, racism
and xenophobia resonate favorably in this subculture.)

Mi esposa participates in a writers' club. As part of this, she's a member
of a critique group. This is a group of aspiring writers who meet
periodically to encourage each other and to try to improve each others' work.
Since we live in middle-class suburbia, the membership draws from that
demographic. They were appalled that this fictional redneck character would
name his fictional dawg "Hitler". Even though the story was not about him or
the dog (they were there for verisimilitude), the dog's name was a brick wall
for these genteel readers. Only when she changed it to something innocuous
like "Fritz" could the story proceed.

--
Jerry Randal Bauer

art...@yahoo.com

Dec 7, 2009, 10:46:29 AM12/7/09
On Dec 7, 10:17 am, landotter <landot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 7, 8:02 am, "Tony Myerswww.sedatedape.com(A many splendoredthing )" <sedated...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > His name isn't really Osama, I just made that up.  But I never would
> > have guessed that there would be a rule about not naming your pets
> > after terrorists.
>
> >http://thesedatedapepics.wordpress.com/2009/12/07/andy-the-dog/
>
> > pre-groomed
>
> Last I checked, you can name your dog Tim or Terry with little
> consequence.

Apparently, it is not advisable to name your dog "Mohammed". But
Homeland Security probably wont care.

DT

Dec 7, 2009, 11:00:22 AM12/7/09
sedat...@gmail.com says...

>His name isn't really Osama, I just made that up. But I never would
>have guessed that there would be a rule about not naming your pets
>after terrorists.

Not terrorists, but my son's dogs are named Tyson and Capone. My
neighbor's dog was Bundy. Not sure if he was named after Ted or Al, but
either one is strange.

--
Dennis

Jon M

Dec 7, 2009, 11:34:17 AM12/7/09

She should have told them the character was based on her cousin's best
friend Terry, who *did* have a dog named "Hitler." Telling them that
will seem to add verisimilitude to the story. If you can fake
verisimilitude, you're home free.

Jon M

Lee Ayrton

Dec 7, 2009, 11:52:56 AM12/7/09
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 07:23:27 -0800, Hieronymus Agricola wrote:

[snip]

> Mi esposa participates in a writers' club. As part of this, she's a member
> of a critique group. This is a group of aspiring writers who meet
> periodically to encourage each other and to try to improve each others' work.
> Since we live in middle-class suburbia, the membership draws from that
> demographic. They were appalled that this fictional redneck character would
> name his fictional dawg "Hitler". Even though the story was not about him or
> the dog (they were there for verisimilitude), the dog's name was a brick wall
> for these genteel readers. Only when she changed it to something innocuous
> like "Fritz" could the story proceed.

My uncle had a german shepherd he named "Fritz".

Lee "He's a swamp yankee, though" Ayrton

Lee Ayrton

Dec 7, 2009, 12:11:03 PM12/7/09
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 08:34:17 -0800, Jon M wrote:

> If you can fake
> verisimilitude, you're home free.

Mine!

--

"If you can fake verisimilitude, you're home free."

Jon M offers an absolute truth on AFC-A

deep...@my-deja.com

Dec 7, 2009, 12:25:26 PM12/7/09
On Dec 7, 9:02 am, "Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (A many splendored
thing )" <sedated...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I went the dog groomer lady to make an appointment for him  she
> asked me what his name was, so she could write it down in her
> appointment book. I told her his name is "Osama".  She seemed to
> really be upset about that and wouldn't write it down in the book.
> After a while she just wrote "N/A"  In the spot for his name.
>
> His name isn't really Osama, I just made that up.  But I never would
> have guessed that there would be a rule about not naming your pets
> after terrorists.

Osama means "big cat", so it's kind of weird to hang it on a dog...

Message has been deleted

hpjeannie

Dec 7, 2009, 5:47:19 PM12/7/09
On Dec 7, 1:21 pm, cindb...@phonehome.com (Cindbear) wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:00:22 -0500, DT <dthompson4...@SPAMwowway.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article
> ><671f4eaa-cf7d-4312-b05c-667503fdc...@l13g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
> >sedated...@gmail.com says...

> >>His name isn't really Osama, I just made that up.  But I never would
> >>have guessed that there would be a rule about not naming your pets
> >>after terrorists.
>
> >Not terrorists, but my son's dogs are named Tyson and Capone. My
> >neighbor's dog was Bundy. Not sure if he was named after Ted or Al, but
> >either one is strange.
>
> A guy I worked with named his dog Fred. It was pretty funny, and even
> funnier when a guy named Fred moved in next door.

My husband's family had a large white cat named Honky.

Jeannie

art...@yahoo.com

Dec 7, 2009, 6:40:49 PM12/7/09
On Dec 7, 5:47 pm, hpjeannie <hpjean...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My husband's family had a large white cat named Honky.

Were they Elton John fans?

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Dec 7, 2009, 10:45:10 PM12/7/09
Hieronymus Agricola wrote:

> Mi esposa wrote a short story set in the rural south. It included a minor
> character that you or I would call a "redneck" were we being charitable.
> This redneck had a dog, a German Shepherd mix named "Hitler".

My sister had a German shepherd named "Hitler". And another sister had a
Doberman named "Nigger". And they weren't even from the south.

Xho

hpjeannie

Dec 7, 2009, 11:29:56 PM12/7/09

Not really - it was the fact that the cat was all-white.

Jeannie

Nick Spalding

Dec 8, 2009, 7:45:02 AM12/8/09
Cindbear wrote, in <ndsqh5lh102cv8l99...@4ax.com>
on Mon, 07 Dec 2009 16:21:50 -0500:

> A guy I worked with named his dog Fred. It was pretty funny, and even
> funnier when a guy named Fred moved in next door.

We once had a cat called George who went missing for a day much to the
distress of my daughter Bridget who scoured the neighbourhood for him
and heard him crying in a neighbour's garage. The neighbour was out and
when she returned Bridget rushed over and as she got out of the car said
"Mrs. Quinn, George is locked in your garage." Now it so happened that
Mrs. Quinn had a gardener called George...
--
Nick Spalding

Bill Kinkaid

Dec 8, 2009, 10:07:28 AM12/8/09
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:00:22 -0500, DT <dthomp...@SPAMwowway.com>
wrote:

I knew someone once who had a dog named Milo. I never asked her if he
was named after Bloom or Minderbender.

--
Bill in Vancouver

Lee Ayrton

Dec 8, 2009, 10:26:00 AM12/8/09

In the 1960s I knew someone with a pet raccoon named "Rabbit".

it was funny at the time.

Lee Ayrton

Dec 8, 2009, 10:26:00 AM12/8/09

Not until you try to fly with the dog, anyway.

Lee "Watchdog list" Ayrton

Opus the Penguin

Dec 8, 2009, 11:38:51 AM12/8/09
Xho Jingleheimerschmidt (xho...@gmail.com) wrote:

But ... that means you're the sane, likeable one.

--
Opus the Penguin
The best darn penguin in all of Usenet

Jesper Lauridsen

Dec 8, 2009, 6:05:21 PM12/8/09

Lucky for them they didn't have a black cat.

Rick B.

Dec 8, 2009, 6:38:41 PM12/8/09
Lee Ayrton <lay...@panix.com.nul> wrote in

Hey, it was the '60s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPZVrmJ2HH8

Heather

Dec 8, 2009, 6:46:57 PM12/8/09
On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 07:07:28 -0800, Bill Kinkaid <davel...@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>I knew someone once who had a dog named Milo. I never asked her if he
>was named after Bloom or Minderbender.

Perhaps you should ask Kim. Her dog is named Milo.

--
Heather

art...@yahoo.com

Dec 8, 2009, 7:06:34 PM12/8/09
On Dec 8, 10:07 am, Bill Kinkaid <davelis...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:00:22 -0500, DT <dthompson4...@SPAMwowway.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article
> ><671f4eaa-cf7d-4312-b05c-667503fdc...@l13g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
> >sedated...@gmail.com says...

> >>His name isn't really Osama, I just made that up.  But I never would
> >>have guessed that there would be a rule about not naming your pets
> >>after terrorists.
>
> >Not terrorists, but my son's dogs are named Tyson and Capone. My
> >neighbor's dog was Bundy. Not sure if he was named after Ted or Al, but
> >either one is strange.
>
> I knew someone once who had a dog named Milo. I never asked her if he
> was named after Bloom or Minderbender.

Maybe it was named after Milo from The Phantom Tollbooth

hpjeannie

Dec 8, 2009, 8:07:51 PM12/8/09
On Dec 8, 3:05 pm, Jesper Lauridsen <rorsc...@sorrystofanet.dk> wrote:

Indeed - they've joked about that. It was bad enough sticking your
head out the door and calling the white one.

Jeannie

Paul L. Madarasz

Dec 8, 2009, 11:02:35 PM12/8/09
On 8 Dec 2009 23:38:41 GMT, "Rick B." <deep...@sprynet.com.aq>
wrote, perhaps among other things:

>Lee Ayrton <lay...@panix.com.nul> wrote in

>>> My husband's family had a large white cat named Honky.
>>
>> In the 1960s I knew someone with a pet raccoon named "Rabbit".
>>
>> it was funny at the time.
>
>Hey, it was the '60s:
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPZVrmJ2HH8

Hey, I *like* that. And it was an early Cat Stevens, uh, Stephen
Georgio, uh, Yusuf Islam song.
--
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
-- Ed Abbey

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Dec 8, 2009, 11:05:45 PM12/8/09
Opus the Penguin wrote:
> Xho Jingleheimerschmidt (xho...@gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> Hieronymus Agricola wrote:
>>> Mi esposa wrote a short story set in the rural south. It
>>> included a minor character that you or I would call a "redneck"
>>> were we being charitable. This redneck had a dog, a German
>>> Shepherd mix named "Hitler".
>> My sister had a German shepherd named "Hitler". And another sister
>> had a Doberman named "Nigger". And they weren't even from the
>> south.
>>

> But ... that means you're the sane, likeable one.

You know what they say, you can pick your friends, and you can pick
your nose, but you can't pick your birth family's pet's names.

Xho