Volcanic ash shock horror death inconvenience

John Dean

Apr 15, 2010, 7:21:31 AM4/15/10
So, those people in Iceland are getting their own back for us trying to make
them pay back the money their banks stole from our citizens. They've
triggered the doomsday volcano scenario:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm

All flights into and out of the country are stopped.
People in the north of the country are reporting a smell of sulphur (but we
think that may just be a lifestyle thing and unconnected to the DEATH FLOW
SUFFOCATING ASH INCONVENIENT volcanic eruption.)

Down here we're just hunkered down waiting for the pyroclastic flow. I've
borrowed a couple of cats, stunned them with a rubber mallet and arranged
them in artistic poses so our house will be Most Visited at the "Oxford went
the same way as Pompeii" exhibition in a couple of years time.
--
John Dean
Oxford

Peter Boulding

Apr 15, 2010, 8:54:34 AM4/15/10
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:21:31 +0100, "John Dean" <john...@fraglineone.net>
wrote in <82ob75...@mid.individual.net>:

Good thing I downloaded latest messages; I was just about to post
"Eyjafjallajokull trumps 9/11". [1][2]

Airports are fast closing all over Europe; Brussels now closed, the BBC is
currently rabbiting about Spain... (where's Jim Beaver now?)

See flash graphic at
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/interactive/2010/apr/15/volcano-airport-disruption-iceland>.

[1] After 9/11 flights were severely restricted here but didn't stop
altogether.
[2] A month's free snootiness points to anyone who claims to be able to
pronounce "Eyjafjallajokull".

--
Regards, Peter Boulding
pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")

Mikko Peltoniemi

Apr 15, 2010, 9:44:53 AM4/15/10
Peter Boulding wrote:

> Airports are fast closing all over Europe; Brussels now closed, the BBC is
> currently rabbiting about Spain... (where's Jim Beaver now?)

I've got tickets for July. Let's hope it'll clear out by then...

--
My Flickr Page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25892068@N07/

John Hatpin

Apr 15, 2010, 10:13:39 AM4/15/10
John Dean wrote:

> People in the north of the country are reporting a smell of sulphur (but we
> think that may just be a lifestyle thing and unconnected to the DEATH FLOW
> SUFFOCATING ASH INCONVENIENT volcanic eruption.)

I noticed a distinct smell shortly after waking up this morning, but I
wouldn't describe it as "sulphur".

More like a cross between coffee and bacon, if you ask me.
--
John Hatpin

Ask no questions, hear no answers.

John Hatpin

Apr 15, 2010, 10:22:37 AM4/15/10
Mikko Peltoniemi wrote:

> Peter Boulding wrote:
>
> > Airports are fast closing all over Europe; Brussels now closed, the BBC is
> > currently rabbiting about Spain... (where's Jim Beaver now?)
>
> I've got tickets for July. Let's hope it'll clear out by then...

Last time it went off, it lasted over a year, from December 1821 to
January 1823:

<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/7593716/Volcano-ash-chaos-previous-eruption-lasted-more-than-a-year.html>
or: http://tinyurl.com/y3kta3d

plausible prose man

Apr 15, 2010, 10:36:58 AM4/15/10
On Apr 15, 7:21 am, "John Dean" <john-d...@fraglineone.net> wrote:

> Down here we're just hunkered down waiting for the pyroclastic flow. I've
> borrowed a couple of cats, stunned them with a rubber mallet and arranged
> them in artistic poses so our house will be Most Visited at the "Oxford went
> the same way as Pompeii" exhibition in a couple of years time.

I did that too, but just because I hate cats.

Esra Sdrawkcab

Apr 15, 2010, 9:37:48 AM4/15/10
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:54:34 +0200, Peter Boulding
<pjbn...@unspampboulding.co.uk> wrote:

> [2] A month's free snootiness points to anyone who claims to be able to
> pronounce "Eyjafjallajokull".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Eyjafjallajökull.ogg

HTH

--
Nuns! Nuns! Reverse

huey.c...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2010, 10:39:55 AM4/15/10
Peter Boulding <pjbn...@unspampboulding.co.uk> wrote:
> A month's free snootiness points to anyone who claims to be able to
> pronounce "Eyjafjallajokull".

It's pronounced 'throat-wobbler mangrove'.

--
Huey

Peter Boulding

Apr 15, 2010, 10:52:56 AM4/15/10
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:37:48 +0200, "Esra Sdrawkcab" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote
in <op.va7j9azshswpfo@dell3100>:

>> [2] A month's free snootiness points to anyone who claims to be able to
>> pronounce "Eyjafjallajokull".
>>

>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Eyjafjallaj�kull.ogg
>
>HTH

It doesn't.

Nick Spalding

Apr 15, 2010, 11:09:14 AM4/15/10
John Dean wrote, in <82ob75...@mid.individual.net>
on Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:21:31 +0100:

> So, those people in Iceland are getting their own back for us trying to make
> them pay back the money their banks stole from our citizens. They've
> triggered the doomsday volcano scenario:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm
>
> All flights into and out of the country are stopped.
> People in the north of the country are reporting a smell of sulphur (but we
> think that may just be a lifestyle thing and unconnected to the DEATH FLOW
> SUFFOCATING ASH INCONVENIENT volcanic eruption.)

I just heard that the mother of one of my Latvian friends has died and
she can't get home to Riga and is even more upset than she would anyway
be.
--
Nick Spalding

John Hatpin

Apr 15, 2010, 12:07:35 PM4/15/10
Esra Sdrawkcab wrote:

He should get a job as a station announcer on the railways here.

Snidely

Apr 15, 2010, 1:13:41 PM4/15/10
On Apr 15, 7:13 am, John Hatpin

<RemoveThisjfhop...@gmailAndThisToo.com> wrote:
> John Dean wrote:
> > People in the north of the country are reporting a smell of sulphur (but we
> > think that may just be a lifestyle thing and unconnected to the DEATH FLOW
> > SUFFOCATING ASH INCONVENIENT volcanic eruption.)
>
> I noticed a distinct smell shortly after waking up this morning, but I
> wouldn't describe it as "sulphur".
>
> More like a cross between coffee and bacon, if you ask me.

As long as it isn't the product described here:
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-morford/the-kfc-double-down-one-
s_b_531749.html>

(I get the impression the reviewer doesn't approve of the item
reviewed)

/dps

bill van

Apr 15, 2010, 1:26:17 PM4/15/10
In article <178es5l0a3ho3cnlv...@4ax.com>,
John Hatpin <RemoveThi...@gmailAndThisToo.com> wrote:

> Mikko Peltoniemi wrote:
>
> > Peter Boulding wrote:
> >
> > > Airports are fast closing all over Europe; Brussels now closed, the BBC
> > > is
> > > currently rabbiting about Spain... (where's Jim Beaver now?)
> >
> > I've got tickets for July. Let's hope it'll clear out by then...
>
> Last time it went off, it lasted over a year, from December 1821 to
> January 1823:

How long were flights grounded that time?

David Friedman

Apr 15, 2010, 1:54:25 PM4/15/10
In article <billvan-3CB87E...@news.shawcable.net>,
bill van <bil...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote:

About eighty years. Unless you count lighter than air craft.

--
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/ http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/
Author of

QueBarbara

Apr 15, 2010, 3:00:06 PM4/15/10
<john...@fraglineone.net> wrote:

>Down here we're just hunkered down waiting for the pyroclastic flow. I've
>borrowed a couple of cats, stunned them with a rubber mallet and arranged
>them in artistic poses so our house will be Most Visited at the "Oxford went
>the same way as Pompeii" exhibition in a couple of years time.

::splort::

--
QueBarbara

Mark Brader

Apr 15, 2010, 3:08:13 PM4/15/10
Peter Boulding:

> [2] A month's free snootiness points to anyone who claims to be able to
> pronounce "Eyjafjallajokull".

Am I the only who whose impression on seeing that word was that someone
had made it up by typing random letters? 12 out of 17 are on the home row!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
non-resident pedant

John Hatpin

Apr 15, 2010, 3:14:56 PM4/15/10
bill van wrote:

Things were different then. Not a single flight was cancelled, or even
delayed.

Cheetah99218

Apr 15, 2010, 3:35:15 PM4/15/10

"Peter Boulding" <pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk> wrote in message

Stupid me: I tried to Rot-13 that word.

Mark Brader

Apr 15, 2010, 3:57:53 PM4/15/10
Peter Boulding:

>> [2] A month's free snootiness points to anyone who claims to be able
>> to pronounce "Eyjafjallajokull".

"Cheetah99218":

> Stupid me: I tried to Rot-13 that word.

My friend Michael Wares suggests that it's really in Welsh in rot13.
--
Mark Brader | "...there are lots of things that I don't remember,
Toronto | but if you ask for an example, I can't remember any."

Mark Steese

Apr 15, 2010, 4:03:26 PM4/15/10

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:54:34 +0200, Peter Boulding
> <pjbn...@unspampboulding.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> [2] A month's free snootiness points to anyone who claims to be able to
>> pronounce "Eyjafjallajokull".
>>

> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Eyjafjallaj�kull.ogg
>
> HTH

The main article on Eyjafjallaj�kull has a notice that "It has been
suggested that portions of this article be moved into Fimmv�r�uh�ls,"
followed by the injunction "(Discuss)." Someone at Wiki appears to have a
rather dry sense of humor.
--
The boughs rustled, and the air was stirred by the muffled beat of their
wings: I could see them, like unearthly, boding shapes, as they swooped

Mark Steese

Apr 15, 2010, 4:12:09 PM4/15/10
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote in

Really? He seemed a bit wishy-washy to me.
--
The "Kinkade Glow" could be seen as derived in spirit from the
"lustrous, pearly mist" that Mark Twain had deried in the Bierstadt

Opus the Penguin

Apr 15, 2010, 4:40:44 PM4/15/10
Esra Sdrawkcab (ad...@127.0.0.1) wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:54:34 +0200, Peter Boulding
> <pjbn...@unspampboulding.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> [2] A month's free snootiness points to anyone who claims to be
>> able to pronounce "Eyjafjallajokull".
>>

> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Eyjafjallaj�kull
> .ogg
>
> HTH

Not at all. The Wikipedia article does offer a phonetic
representation of the pronunciation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull

If you want to get close, remember that double-l in Icelandic is
pronounced as a t sound followed by an l sound. People whose last
name is Hiller do not find this fact amusing.

--
Opus the Penguin
The best darn penguin in all of Usenet

Opus the Penguin

Apr 15, 2010, 4:40:45 PM4/15/10
Nick Spalding (spal...@iol.ie) wrote:

Poor woman! That must be agonizing.

John Mc

Apr 15, 2010, 5:44:30 PM4/15/10

Yup, those were the good old days.

John Mc.

--
I always heard the road to Hell was paved with good intentions
But nobody told me it was a superhighway!

John Dean

Apr 15, 2010, 6:27:39 PM4/15/10

Not possible via ferry / train connections? Pig of a journey but I would
have thought doable.
--
John Dean
Oxford

John Dean

Apr 15, 2010, 6:28:36 PM4/15/10

And in Italy all the trains were running on time. It was a dynamic age.
--
John Dean
Oxford

John Dean

Apr 15, 2010, 6:31:27 PM4/15/10
Mark Brader wrote:
> Peter Boulding:
>> [2] A month's free snootiness points to anyone who claims to be able
>> to pronounce "Eyjafjallajokull".
>
> Am I the only who whose impression on seeing that word was that
> someone had made it up by typing random letters? 12 out of 17 are on
> the home row!

I believe there is a theory that the Icelandic language developed as a
consequence of Vikings trying to type letters home in Norwegian on a broken
typewriter.
--
John Dean
Oxford

John Hatpin

Apr 15, 2010, 6:56:19 PM4/15/10
John Dean wrote:

MS Windows didn't crash back then, either.

Opus the Penguin

Apr 16, 2010, 2:37:17 AM4/16/10
John Dean (john...@fraglineone.net) wrote:

> So, those people in Iceland are getting their own back for us
> trying to make them pay back the money their banks stole from our
> citizens. They've triggered the doomsday volcano scenario:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm
>
> All flights into and out of the country are stopped.
> People in the north of the country are reporting a smell of
> sulphur (but we think that may just be a lifestyle thing and
> unconnected to the DEATH FLOW SUFFOCATING ASH INCONVENIENT
> volcanic eruption.)
>

> Down here we're just hunkered down waiting for the pyroclastic
> flow. I've borrowed a couple of cats, stunned them with a rubber
> mallet and arranged them in artistic poses so our house will be
> Most Visited at the "Oxford went the same way as Pompeii"
> exhibition in a couple of years time.

Good thinking! But if you weren't consumed by the initial blast,
you're more like Herculaneum than Pompeii.

Peter Boulding

Apr 16, 2010, 5:17:19 AM4/16/10
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 06:37:17 GMT, Opus the Penguin
<opusthepen...@gmail.com> wrote in
<Xns9D5CF3C78E51op...@192.168.1.106>:

>> Down here we're just hunkered down waiting for the pyroclastic
>> flow. I've borrowed a couple of cats, stunned them with a rubber
>> mallet and arranged them in artistic poses so our house will be
>> Most Visited at the "Oxford went the same way as Pompeii"
>> exhibition in a couple of years time.

>Good thinking! But if you weren't consumed by the initial blast,
>you're more like Herculaneum than Pompeii.

A piece of volcano advice from the Grauniad:

If a piece of lava appears to be moving it won't hit you. If it appears to
be floating in the air then its coming straight at you so start running.

Mark Brader

Apr 16, 2010, 2:30:52 PM4/16/10
Peter Boulding:

> A piece of volcano advice from the Grauniad:
>
> If a piece of lava appears to be moving it won't hit you. If it appears to
> be floating in the air then its coming straight at you so start running.

This works better as a rule for a pilot trying to avoid a mid-air
collision with another plane: the ones that are going to get you are
the ones you don't notice because they're a stationary dot against
the sky.

I say it "works better" because while airplanes mostly move in straight
lines, objects flying through the air on a ballistic trajectory don't.
Keep looking at that "stationary" chunk of lava and you'll see it start
descending and hit the ground in front of you.

Of course, (1) it might then hit you on the bounce, so running may be
prudent in any case; and (2) it might be too close for you to see it
start descending. But in case 2, you don't have time to run anyway.

The ones you most have to worry about are those that you first see
moving upward, but that motion is slowing to a stop as you watch.
If you see *that*, then start running for sure.

Oh, and if you do run, don't act like some idiot in a movie and run
directly away from something that's coming directly toward you faster
than you can run. Run *to one side*.
--
Mark Brader | "The job of an engineer is to build systems that
Toronto | people can trust. By this criterion, there

Opus the Penguin

Apr 16, 2010, 2:43:00 PM4/16/10
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) wrote:

> The ones you most have to worry about are those that you first see
> moving upward, but that motion is slowing to a stop as you watch.
> If you see *that*, then start running for sure.
>
> Oh, and if you do run, don't act like some idiot in a movie and run
> directly away from something that's coming directly toward you faster
> than you can run. Run *to one side*.

I have printed out these instructions and will keep a copy in my wallet
for easy consultation when the time comes.

John Hatpin

Apr 16, 2010, 2:40:39 PM4/16/10
Mark Brader wrote:

> Peter Boulding:
> > A piece of volcano advice from the Grauniad:
> >
> > If a piece of lava appears to be moving it won't hit you. If it appears to
> > be floating in the air then its coming straight at you so start running.
>
> This works better as a rule for a pilot trying to avoid a mid-air
> collision with another plane: the ones that are going to get you are
> the ones you don't notice because they're a stationary dot against
> the sky.
>
> I say it "works better" because while airplanes mostly move in straight
> lines, objects flying through the air on a ballistic trajectory don't.
> Keep looking at that "stationary" chunk of lava and you'll see it start
> descending and hit the ground in front of you.
>
> Of course, (1) it might then hit you on the bounce, so running may be
> prudent in any case; and (2) it might be too close for you to see it
> start descending. But in case 2, you don't have time to run anyway.
>
> The ones you most have to worry about are those that you first see
> moving upward, but that motion is slowing to a stop as you watch.
> If you see *that*, then start running for sure.
>
> Oh, and if you do run, don't act like some idiot in a movie and run
> directly away from something that's coming directly toward you faster
> than you can run. Run *to one side*.

You sound like you have a lot of experience of running away from
objects travelling at speed towards you. I hesitate to ask why this is
such a common occurrence in your life.

Glenn Dowdy

Apr 16, 2010, 2:49:57 PM4/16/10

"Opus the Penguin" <opusthepen...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) wrote:
>
>> The ones you most have to worry about are those that you first see
>> moving upward, but that motion is slowing to a stop as you watch.
>> If you see *that*, then start running for sure.
>>
>> Oh, and if you do run, don't act like some idiot in a movie and run
>> directly away from something that's coming directly toward you faster
>> than you can run. Run *to one side*.
>

> I have printed out these instructions and will keep a copy in my wallet
> for easy consultation when the time comes.

I advise keeping it in a windowed compartment to save valuable seconds.

Glenn D.

Opus the Penguin

Apr 16, 2010, 3:23:30 PM4/16/10
Glenn Dowdy (glenn.n...@hp.spam.com) wrote:

That's a good idea. I'll print this post and put in my wallet as
well.

QueBarbara

Apr 16, 2010, 3:50:07 PM4/16/10
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:30:52 -0500, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>Oh, and if you do run, don't act like some idiot in a movie and run
>directly away from something that's coming directly toward you faster
>than you can run. Run *to one side*.

Serpentine! Serpentine!

--
QueBarbara

Mark Steese

Apr 16, 2010, 3:53:46 PM4/16/10
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in
[snip]

> Oh, and if you do run, don't act like some idiot in a movie and run
> directly away from something that's coming directly toward you faster
> than you can run. Run *to one side*.

Pfft. Next you'll be saying that if you're part of a group of ruffians who
have the hero hopelessly outnumbered, you should all attack him at once,
instead of attacking him one by one and getting clobbered. Where's the
sport in *that*?

Mark Brader

Apr 16, 2010, 4:00:12 PM4/16/10
Mark Brader:

>> Oh, and if you do run, don't act like some idiot in a movie and run
>> directly away from something that's coming directly toward you faster
>> than you can run. Run *to one side*.

"QueBarbara":
> Serpentine! Serpentine!

Oh, right. (Goes back and runs away again.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "For want of a bit the loop was lost..."
m...@vex.net -- Steve Summit

David Friedman

Apr 16, 2010, 4:43:49 PM4/16/10
In article <tnags5hanpnoo2bei...@4ax.com>,
Peter Boulding <pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk> wrote:

> If a piece of lava appears to be moving it won't hit you. If it appears to
> be floating in the air then its coming straight at you so start running.

Works in a zero-g environment. Not so well elsewhere.

Peter Boulding

Apr 16, 2010, 5:05:50 PM4/16/10
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:43:49 -0700, David Friedman
<dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote in
<ddfr-215E8B.1...@newsfarm.phx.highwinds-media.com>:

>> If a piece of lava appears to be moving it won't hit you. If it appears to
>> be floating in the air then its coming straight at you so start running.

>Works in a zero-g environment. Not so well elsewhere.

When you're heading straight for that star at 0.98C it goes on looking like
a fixed-size bright dot right until the last moment, when you're only a few
hundred thousand miles away and it's far too late to activate the lateral
thrusters.

--
Regards, Peter "er... should we veer to port or starboard?" Boulding

Hactar

Apr 16, 2010, 4:22:47 PM4/16/10
In article <tofhs51istn059l8n...@4ax.com>,

What good is a rock right then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpentine_group

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one

John Hatpin

Apr 16, 2010, 5:41:54 PM4/16/10
Peter Boulding wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:43:49 -0700, David Friedman
> <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote in
> <ddfr-215E8B.1...@newsfarm.phx.highwinds-media.com>:
>
> >> If a piece of lava appears to be moving it won't hit you. If it appears to
> >> be floating in the air then its coming straight at you so start running.
>
> >Works in a zero-g environment. Not so well elsewhere.
>
> When you're heading straight for that star at 0.98C it goes on looking like
> a fixed-size bright dot right until the last moment, when you're only a few
> hundred thousand miles away and it's far too late to activate the lateral
> thrusters.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Dover Beach

Apr 16, 2010, 5:47:10 PM4/16/10
QueBarbara <que.barb...@go-awaygmail.com> wrote in

I love that movie. The real one, not the remake.

--
Dover

David Friedman

Apr 16, 2010, 6:15:02 PM4/16/10
In article <gvjhs5l8s2ra4clet...@4ax.com>,
Peter Boulding <pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:43:49 -0700, David Friedman
> <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote in
> <ddfr-215E8B.1...@newsfarm.phx.highwinds-media.com>:
>
> >> If a piece of lava appears to be moving it won't hit you. If it appears to
> >> be floating in the air then its coming straight at you so start running.
>
> >Works in a zero-g environment. Not so well elsewhere.
>
> When you're heading straight for that star at 0.98C it goes on looking like
> a fixed-size bright dot right until the last moment, when you're only a few
> hundred thousand miles away and it's far too late to activate the lateral
> thrusters.

Why doesn't it appear to be getting larger and brighter?

Mark Steese

Apr 16, 2010, 6:47:34 PM4/16/10

> In article <gvjhs5l8s2ra4clet...@4ax.com>,
> Peter Boulding <pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:43:49 -0700, David Friedman
>> <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote in

>> >Works in a zero-g environment. Not so well elsewhere.
>>
>> When you're heading straight for that star at 0.98C it goes on
>> looking like a fixed-size bright dot right until the last moment,
>> when you're only a few hundred thousand miles away and it's far too
>> late to activate the lateral thrusters.
>
> Why doesn't it appear to be getting larger and brighter?

He was approaching it from the other side.
--
At the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893, a very curious figure stood
in the California State Building: a medieval knight in armor, mounted on

QueBarbara

Apr 16, 2010, 8:01:03 PM4/16/10
On 16 Apr 2010 21:47:10 GMT, Dover Beach <moon.b...@gmail.com>
wrote:

That line in particular has been a family in-joke for years. We need
some new young un's to come along to yell it at.

> The real one, not the remake.

Sacrebleu! I've not seen it, and will not.

--
QueBarbara

Hactar

Apr 16, 2010, 7:33:54 PM4/16/10
In article <ddfr-5C4736.1...@newsfarm.phx.highwinds-media.com>,

David Friedman <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote:
> In article <gvjhs5l8s2ra4clet...@4ax.com>,
> Peter Boulding <pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:43:49 -0700, David Friedman
> > <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote in

> > >Works in a zero-g environment. Not so well elsewhere.
> >
> > When you're heading straight for that star at 0.98C it goes on looking like
> > a fixed-size bright dot right until the last moment, when you're only a few
> > hundred thousand miles away and it's far too late to activate the lateral
> > thrusters.
>
> Why doesn't it appear to be getting larger and brighter?

I suspect it does so significantly only at the end. Of course, the
whole time it's blue-shifted by z=-8.5 or so (or -10.5).

--
The powers in charge keep us in a continuous stampede of patriotic
fervor with the cry of national emergency. Always there has been some

David Friedman

Apr 16, 2010, 8:43:15 PM4/16/10
In article <2o8n97-...@pc.home>, ebenZ...@verizon.net (Hactar)
wrote:

> In article <ddfr-5C4736.1...@newsfarm.phx.highwinds-media.com>,
> David Friedman <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote:
> > In article <gvjhs5l8s2ra4clet...@4ax.com>,
> > Peter Boulding <pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:43:49 -0700, David Friedman
> > > <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote in

> > > When you're heading straight for that star at 0.98C it goes on looking
> > > like
> > > a fixed-size bright dot right until the last moment, when you're only a
> > > few
> > > hundred thousand miles away and it's far too late to activate the lateral
> > > thrusters.
> >
> > Why doesn't it appear to be getting larger and brighter?
>
> I suspect it does so significantly only at the end. Of course, the
> whole time it's blue-shifted by z=-8.5 or so (or -10.5).

The earth is about eight light minutes from the sun, and the sun looks a
lot brighter than other stars from here.

Hactar

Apr 16, 2010, 9:22:50 PM4/16/10
In article <ddfr-6158D8.1...@newsfarm.phx.highwinds-media.com>,

OK, suppose you notice your ill-fated course when you're 5 AU (aka 40
light-minutes; how far in travel time, 40*9.5 minutes?) from hitting
the star and you hit your lateral thrusters then. Is that enough lead
time to miss the star at enough distance you don't get cooked? I think
you might also want to reverse thrust, but maybe not if that diverts power
from the laterals.

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81

He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
and he who dares not is a slave. -Sir William Drummond

David Friedman

Apr 16, 2010, 10:51:54 PM4/16/10
In article <a4fn97-...@pc.home>, ebenZ...@verizon.net (Hactar)
wrote:

Assuming we are doing all of this in your reference frame, you have
40/.98 minutes. Accelerating laterally at 10g gives you an average
lateral velocity of 98 m/sec^2 * 2448 sec/2=119952 m/sec. That times
2448 sec gives you a displacement of about 29*10^6 m, if I haven't
misplaced any decimal points, or about 30,000 km. The sun has a radius
of about .7 million kilometers.

Better hit the thrusters a bit earlier. Starting about 25 AU out, just
pat Neptune, should be enough to miss the sun--but you may need serious
air conditioning to survive the experiment.

Mark Brader

Apr 16, 2010, 11:29:31 PM4/16/10
"Hactar":

> OK, suppose you notice your ill-fated course when you're 5 AU (aka
> 40 light-minutes; how far in travel time, 40*9.5 minutes?) from hitting
> the star and you hit your lateral thrusters then...

Then you all fall unconscious, statues of historic figures appear
suspended around you, and you wake up in the 20th century in time
to save a pair of humpback whales and pick up a pretty blonde.

At least, that's the best guess I can make.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I don't have a life; I have a program." --the Doctor
m...@vex.net | (Michael Piller, Star Trek: Voyager, "Tattoo")

Bill Kinkaid

Apr 17, 2010, 12:51:31 AM4/17/10
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:47:34 +0000 (UTC), Mark Steese
<mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>David Friedman <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote in
>
>> In article <gvjhs5l8s2ra4clet...@4ax.com>,
>> Peter Boulding <pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:43:49 -0700, David Friedman
>>> <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote in

>>> When you're heading straight for that star at 0.98C it goes on
>>> looking like a fixed-size bright dot right until the last moment,
>>> when you're only a few hundred thousand miles away and it's far too
>>> late to activate the lateral thrusters.
>>
>> Why doesn't it appear to be getting larger and brighter?
>
>He was approaching it from the other side.

At night.

--
Bill in Vancouver

bill van

Apr 17, 2010, 3:18:50 AM4/17/10
(Piggy-backing)

I played in the neighbourhood community centre's duplicate bridge
tournament earlier tonight, and was told that no fewer than three
regular players had been scheduled to fly to Europe on Friday. Two of
them had their tours cancelled outright because of the Iceland eruption.
The third we didn't hear from, but I doubt he got away.

I think the airline and travel management/agency businesses will see
some serious bloodshed if this goes on any length of time. Those
industries have been on the edge for a long time, and some of the
businesses that have been just hanging on are in dire straits.

bill

Mark Brader

Apr 17, 2010, 3:30:00 AM4/17/10
"bill van":

> I played in the neighbourhood community centre's duplicate bridge
> tournament earlier tonight, and was told that no fewer than three
> regular players had been scheduled to fly to Europe on Friday. Two of
> them had their tours cancelled outright because of the Iceland eruption.

So give us the *important* facts: were they partners, and if so, did
they play in the tournament, and if so, did they create or fill a
half-table? *Hmmmm*?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Logic is logic. That's all I say."
m...@vex.net -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Bill Turlock

Apr 17, 2010, 4:48:13 AM4/17/10
Cheetah99218 wrote:

> "Peter Boulding" <pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:21:31 +0100, "John Dean"
> > <john...@fraglineone.net>
> > wrote in <82ob75...@mid.individual.net>:
> >
> >>So, those people in Iceland are getting their own back for us trying
> >>to make
> >>them pay back the money their banks stole from our citizens. They've
> >>triggered the doomsday volcano scenario:
> >>
> >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm
> >>
> >>All flights into and out of the country are stopped.
> >>People in the north of the country are reporting a smell of sulphur
> >>(but we
> >>think that may just be a lifestyle thing and unconnected to the DEATH
> >>FLOW
> >>SUFFOCATING ASH INCONVENIENT volcanic eruption.)

> >>Down here we're just hunkered down waiting for the pyroclastic flow.
> >>I've
> >>borrowed a couple of cats, stunned them with a rubber mallet and
> >>arranged
> >>them in artistic poses so our house will be Most Visited at the
> >>"Oxford went
> >>the same way as Pompeii" exhibition in a couple of years time.
> >
> > Good thing I downloaded latest messages; I was just about to post
> > "Eyjafjallajokull trumps 9/11". [1][2]
> >
> > Airports are fast closing all over Europe; Brussels now closed, the
> > BBC is
> > currently rabbiting about Spain... (where's Jim Beaver now?)
> >
> > See flash graphic at
> > <http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/interactive/2010/apr/15/volcano-airport-disruption-iceland>.
> >
> > [1] After 9/11 flights were severely restricted here but didn't stop
> > altogether.
> > [2] A month's free snootiness points to anyone who claims to be able
> > pronounce "Eyjafjallajokull".

> Stupid me: I tried to Rot-13 that word.

Rot-ed, it looks a bit .like Welsh

Bill Turlock

Apr 17, 2010, 5:07:06 AM4/17/10
Peter Boulding wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:43:49 -0700, David Friedman
> <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote in
> <ddfr-215E8B.1...@newsfarm.phx.highwinds-media.com>:
>
> >> If a piece of lava appears to be moving it won't hit you. If it appears to
> >> be floating in the air then its coming straight at you so start running.
>
> >Works in a zero-g environment. Not so well elsewhere.
>
> When you're heading straight for that star at 0.98C it goes on looking like
> a fixed-size bright dot right until the last moment, when you're only a few
> hundred thousand miles away and it's far too late to activate the lateral
> thrusters.

I happened to be on a C-141 Starlifter from Japan to Travis, with
a ~250 kt tail-wind, near Mach 1 ground speed, when another one
was approaching from the opposite direction. I was in the jump
seat, and the pilot gave me the heads-up, pointing out the pencil
dot sized image at about one o'clock, slightly high. As I looked
up, it streaked past us (1,000 ft higher, though). I calculated
the closing speed to be around ź mi/sec.

Bill Turlock

Apr 17, 2010, 5:08:09 AM4/17/10

To coin a phrase.

art...@yahoo.com

Apr 17, 2010, 1:06:38 PM4/17/10
On Apr 15, 7:21 am, "John Dean" <john-d...@fraglineone.net> wrote:
> So, those people in Iceland are getting their own back for us trying to make
> them pay back the money their banks stole from our citizens. They've
> triggered the doomsday volcano scenario:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm
>
> All flights into and out of the country are stopped.
> People in the north of the country are reporting a smell of sulphur (but we
> think that may just be a lifestyle thing and unconnected to the DEATH FLOW
> SUFFOCATING ASH INCONVENIENT volcanic eruption.)

Apparently we can blame the TV show "Lost" for the whole mess
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-borowitz/volcanic-ash-cloud-turns_b_540283.html?ref=fb&src=sp

Or maybe not

bill van

Apr 17, 2010, 2:16:19 PM4/17/10
In article <UsudnSvuFuLl_lTW...@vex.net>,
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

> "bill van":
> > I played in the neighbourhood community centre's duplicate bridge
> > tournament earlier tonight, and was told that no fewer than three
> > regular players had been scheduled to fly to Europe on Friday. Two of
> > them had their tours cancelled outright because of the Iceland eruption.
>
> So give us the *important* facts: were they partners, and if so, did
> they play in the tournament, and if so, did they create or fill a
> half-table? *Hmmmm*?

They did not play; I'm not sure that they were back from the airport
yet. They called someone, who spread the word.

There are no predetermined tables; whoever shows up plays. Half tables
are possible. Since the cards and the east-west players both rotate, a
half table in the mix just means that every north-south pair has a
sit-out round during the tournament.

bill

bill van

Apr 17, 2010, 2:16:46 PM4/17/10
In article <4BC975CD...@sonnnic.invalid>,

It's pronounced "Aw-ful."

bill

Snidely

Apr 17, 2010, 2:26:10 PM4/17/10
On Apr 17, 2:08 am, Bill Turlock <"Bill Turlock "@sonnnic.invalid>
wrote:

> bill van wrote:
>
> > Those
> > industries have been on the edge for a long time, and some of the
> > businesses that have been just hanging on are in dire straits.
>
> > bill
>
> To coin a phrase.

Well, near Bill that would be the Straits of Georgia, and then a bit
further to the Straits of Juan de Fuca. The latter are a little more
exposed to storms, but I'm not sure what the storm pattern there is
like at this time of year, with or without ash plumes.

/dps

bill van

Apr 17, 2010, 3:29:53 PM4/17/10
In article
<00f30180-f129-4073...@r27g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:

Those are pretty tame straits. Hecate Strait, between the B.C. north
coast and Haida Gwai (Queen Charlotte Islands) gets pretty dire in
winter storm season.

bill

Snidely

Apr 17, 2010, 4:23:15 PM4/17/10
On Apr 17, 12:29 pm, bill van <bill...@separatethis.shaw.ca> wrote:
>  Snidely <snidely....@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Well, near Bill that would be the Straits of Georgia, and then a bit
> > further to the Straits of Juan de Fuca.  The latter are a little more
> > exposed to storms, but I'm not sure what the storm pattern there is
> > like at this time of year, with or without ash plumes.
>
> Those are pretty tame straits. Hecate Strait, between the B.C. north
> coast and Haida Gwai (Queen Charlotte Islands) gets pretty dire in
> winter storm season.

What sort of vessels use that route?

(I would like to do some more BC exploring one of these ADs.)

/dps

Esra Sdrawkcab

Apr 17, 2010, 3:30:30 PM4/17/10
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:48:13 +0200, Bill Turlock <"Bill Turlock
"@sonnnic.invalid> wrote:

> Cheetah99218 wrote:

>> > pronounce "Eyjafjallajokull".
>

>> Stupid me: I tried to Rot-13 that word.
>

> Rot-ed, it looks a bit .like Welsh

Don't be daft, mun, you're losing the double 'l's!

--
Nuns! Nuns! Reverse

Peter Ward

Apr 17, 2010, 4:35:40 PM4/17/10
David Friedman says...

> In article <gvjhs5l8s2ra4clet...@4ax.com>,
> Peter Boulding <pjbn...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:43:49 -0700, David Friedman
> > <dd...@daviddfriedman.nopsam.com> wrote in

> > >Works in a zero-g environment. Not so well elsewhere.
> >
> > When you're heading straight for that star at 0.98C it goes on looking like
> > a fixed-size bright dot right until the last moment, when you're only a few
> > hundred thousand miles away and it's far too late to activate the lateral
> > thrusters.
>
> Why doesn't it appear to be getting larger and brighter?

Space is big. You might think it's long way down the road to the
chemist's, but that's nothing to space.

In the context of space, the sun is teeny.

Apart from that, at .98c, distances are a lot shorter than you think,
just ask Mr. Lorenz!

--

Peter, from outside the asylum

I'm an alien
email: usenet at peterward dot adsl24 dot co dot uk
http://blowinsmoke.wordpress.com/
Chess is as elaborate a waste of human intelligence as you can find
outside an advertising agency.
- Raymond Chandler

Mark Brader

Apr 17, 2010, 4:36:27 PM4/17/10
"bill van":
>>> I played in the neighbourhood community centre's duplicate bridge
>>> tournament earlier tonight, and was told that no fewer than three
>>> regular players had been scheduled to fly to Europe on Friday. Two of
>>> them had their tours cancelled outright because of the Iceland eruption.

Mark Brader:

>> So give us the *important* facts: were they partners, and if so, did
>> they play in the tournament, and if so, did they create or fill a
>> half-table? *Hmmmm*?

"bill van":

> They did not play; I'm not sure that they were back from the airport
> yet. They called someone, who spread the word.

Ah.

> There are no predetermined tables; whoever shows up plays. Half tables
> are possible. Since the cards and the east-west players both rotate, a
> half table in the mix just means that every north-south pair has a
> sit-out round during the tournament.

Of course. (It's also possible for the phantom pair to be N-S, giving
E-W a sit-out.) But you'd rather have an even number of pairs.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto cat>/dev/null got your tongue?
m...@vex.net -- Jutta Degener

Mark Brader

Apr 17, 2010, 4:58:45 PM4/17/10
Peter Ward:

> Apart from that, at .98c, distances are a lot shorter than you think,
> just ask Mr. Lorenz!

I am reminded of the novel "Red Lightning" by John Varley. Spoilers
follow in rot13.

Gur znva fgbel ortvaf jvgu n zrtnqvfnfgre -- fbzr bowrpg zbivat
pybfr gb gur fcrrq bs yvtug fgevxrf gur bprna bss gur rnfg pbnfg bs
Sybevqn naq pnhfrf n uhtr gfhanzv. Gbjneq gur raq bs gur obbx jr
yrnea gung gur vzcnpgbe jnf va snpg n fgnefuvc, uvwnpxrq be obhtug
sbe gur checbfr bs n greebevfg fhvpvqr nggnpx ntnvafg gur HF -- gur
cvybg jnf nggrzcgvat gb gnxr bhg gur yvar bs pvgvrf sebz Jnfuvatgba
gb Arj Lbex. Ohg, sbe gur ernfba Crgre zragvbaf, ur zvfwhqtrq gur
gvzvat naq vzcnpgrq n ovg rneyl, orsber gur Rnegu'f ebgngvba unq
oebhtug gur gnetrg vagb gur yvar bs syvtug.

Naq sbe gur fnzr ernfba, ur nyfb snvyrq gb pbzcyrgr gur genafzvffvba
gung zvtug unir rkcynvarq jung zrffntr ur jnf gelvat gb fraq. Ng gur
gvzr vg jnfa'g rira abgvprq, ohg vg jnf nhgbzngvpnyyl erpbeqrq naq
urneq yngre. Gur ynfg jbeqf bs gur greebevfg jrer "QRNGU GB--".

Vapvqragnyyl, Ineyrl abgrf va na nsgrejbeq gung juvyr gur abiry jnf
vafcverq ol Avar-Ryrira, zhpu bs vg jnf jevggra orsber gur Obkvat Qnl
Gfhanzv gbbx cynpr, naq nyy bs vg jnf jevggra orsber Uheevpnar Xngevan
nagvpvcngrq gur vapbzcrgrag tbireazrag erfcbafr ur qrcvpgrq gb uvf
qvfnfgre.
--
Mark Brader | "Life is mundane until it is not,
Toronto | and then the mundane can look serene."

bill van

Apr 17, 2010, 5:01:43 PM4/17/10
In article
<b2269ba5-8c17-464c...@r1g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not a boater but Hecate Strait is navigated by small craft in good
weather. I think the key is being really careful about the forecast.

This page has some info:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/gwaiihaanas/visit/visit3/g.aspx

It's more about Haida Gwaii (spelled it wrong earlier) itself but also
refers to the strait.

Haida Gwaii is a magical place, by the way. All but the northern part
has been protected from logging, so there are old-growth rain forests
galore. Big trees, moss, bald eagles, lots of rain. There are some
abandoned village sites (due to smallpox last century) with old totem
poles still standing, but you need Haida permission to visit them.

bill

John Hatpin

Apr 17, 2010, 5:59:41 PM4/17/10
bill van wrote:

> Haida Gwaii is a magical place, by the way. All but the northern part
> has been protected from logging, so there are old-growth rain forests
> galore. Big trees, moss, bald eagles, lots of rain. There are some
> abandoned village sites (due to smallpox last century) with old totem
> poles still standing, but you need Haida permission to visit them.

First parsed as "all but the northern part has been protected from
blogging".
--
John Hatpin

Ask no questions, hear no answers.

Snidely

Apr 17, 2010, 7:23:06 PM4/17/10
On Apr 17, 2:59 pm, John Hatpin

<RemoveThisjfhop...@gmailAndThisToo.com> wrote:
> bill van wrote:
> > Haida Gwaii is a magical place, by the way. All but the northern part
> > has been protected from logging,
>
> First parsed as "all but the northern part has been protected from
> blogging".

That's an awful lot to ask.

(The grammar is the same either way ... it's the semantic content of
the gerund that changes in your reading, and parsers don't care about
that, although the runtime code will.)

/dps

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Apr 17, 2010, 8:44:06 PM4/17/10
John Hatpin wrote:
> bill van wrote:
>
>> Haida Gwaii is a magical place, by the way. All but the northern part
>> has been protected from logging, so there are old-growth rain forests
>> galore. Big trees, moss, bald eagles, lots of rain. There are some
>> abandoned village sites (due to smallpox last century) with old totem
>> poles still standing, but you need Haida permission to visit them.
>
> First parsed as "all but the northern part has been protected from
> blogging".

Of the two, I'm not sure which is more important.

Xho

Glenn Dowdy

Apr 19, 2010, 11:51:21 AM4/19/10

"Bill Turlock" <"Bill Turlock "@sonnnic.invalid> wrote in message

> I happened to be on a C-141 Starlifter from Japan to Travis, with
> a ~250 kt tail-wind, near Mach 1 ground speed, when another one
> was approaching from the opposite direction. I was in the jump
> seat,

Was it warm and quiet up there in front? I always imagined it would be, as I
sat in back cold and suffering from excessive noise.

Glenn D.