Electrifying Personality

mdginzo

Aug 11, 2001, 5:12:31 PM8/11/01
Roy Sullivan was the park ranger who holds the record for being struck by
lightening 7 times between 1942 and his death in 1983. He actually died
when he accidentally shot himself. I know all about his lightening strikes,
but am more curious about his death. Does anyone know the curcumstances
surrounding his accident? How did it happen? Was there anyone there?
Could it have been a suicide? Thanks.

Joe Shimkus

Aug 11, 2001, 5:50:33 PM8/11/01
In article <Mfhd7.11579$V43.9...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com>,
"mdginzo" <mdg...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Roy Sullivan

> Does anyone know the curcumstances
> surrounding his accident?

Do you mean anyone alive?

> Was there anyone there?

Do you mean other than Roy Sullivan?

> Could it have been a suicide?

Sure, why not.

This helpful post has been brought to you by

- Joe

--
PGP Key (DH/DSS): http://www.shimkus.com/public_key.asc
PGP Fingerprint: 89B4 52DA CF10 EE03 02AD 9134 21C6 2A68 CE52 EE1A

Mark Brader

Aug 11, 2001, 6:25:07 PM8/11/01
M.D. Ginzo writes:
> Roy Sullivan was the park ranger who holds the record for being struck
> by lightening 7 times between 1942 and his death in 1983.

More interesting yet, he was already in the Guinness Book of World
Records as the person surviving the most lightning [note spelling]
strikes when he had been struck only 3 times!

> He actually died when he accidentally shot himself. ...

> Could it have been a suicide?

Guinness says it *was* a suicide, "reportedly after being rejected in
love". I hadn't heard that this was disputed.
--
Mark Brader "The world little knows or cares the storm through
Toronto which you have had to pass. It asks only if you

Doug

Aug 12, 2001, 1:43:29 AM8/12/01
mdginzo wrote

One of those shows about lightning, Discovery or somesuch,
had a short segment about him and his life with lightning.
I believe they interviewed his daughter who held the famous
ranger hat he wore with the burn mark in the top for the
camera. She said that he just couldn't handle it anymore.

He even got hit while taking refuge inside his truck which
had a metal body to it. It seems this particular hit really
bothered him after he recovered. It was as if he was destined
to be hit time and again.

Getting hit by lightning once and surviving is pretty amazing.
But, it takes a severe toll on not only your body, but your mind.
Some one time survivors spend the rest of their lives trying
to recover. The pro golfer Lee Trevino couldn't play in the
cold after he was hit. His back tightened up. I believe
at least one of the people in his group died as a result
of the hit. Not sure if it was direct or indirect.

I also believe all of Roy's hit were direct. That's
unimaginable. 7 times and surviving is beyond even
the most bizarre probability one can imagine. It's
also beyond explanation that he even had a brain left.

Apparently Roy just gave up.

- Doug

aristo-funnies

Aug 12, 2001, 5:17:56 AM8/12/01
"Doug" abx...@hotmail.com
Date: 8/12/2001 1:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time writes:

> 7 times and surviving is beyond even
>the most bizarre probability one can imagine.

Huh, really? Big, how many times has Gus been hit?

-"Ain't gonna hang no picture, ain't gonna hang no picture frame
ain't gonna hang no picture, ain't gonna hang no picture frame
Well, I might look like Robert Ford, but I feel just like Jesse James"

Big Iron5

Aug 12, 2001, 7:09:10 AM8/12/01
Dutch Courage writes:

>> 7 times and surviving is beyond even
>>the most bizarre probability one can imagine.
>

> Huh, really? Big, how many times has Gus been hit?

My fuzzy memory says two or three times -- Elissa or Karen or Barb or Stephmon
probably are better sources.

!Caveat emptor Nostradamus

Aug 12, 2001, 12:22:26 PM8/12/01
On Sat, 11 Aug 2001 22:25:07 +0000 (UTC), m...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
wrote:

>M.D. Ginzo writes:
>> Roy Sullivan was the park ranger who holds the record for being struck
>> by lightening 7 times between 1942 and his death in 1983.
>
>More interesting yet, he was already in the Guinness Book of World
>Records as the person surviving the most lightning [note spelling]
>strikes when he had been struck only 3 times!
>
>> He actually died when he accidentally shot himself. ...
>> Could it have been a suicide?
>
>Guinness says it *was* a suicide, "reportedly after being rejected in
>love". I hadn't heard that this was disputed.
>--

If ECT (shock therapy) can cure depression, maybe lightning therapy
can induce it?

N Jill Marsh

Aug 12, 2001, 12:53:23 PM8/12/01
On 12 Aug 2001 16:22:26 GMT, n...@nostradamus.net (!Caveat emptor
Nostradamus)wrote:

>If ECT (shock therapy) can cure depression, maybe lightning therapy
>can induce it?

Or cure it for ever and ever.

Anyway, there are a large number of psychological symptoms
attributable to lightning strikes, including memory and personality
changes, long term changes in mood and ability to concentrate, sleep
disturbances, seizure activity, etc, etc.

There was a little bit on a support groups for lightning victims on
one of the urls Charlie provided.

nj"eclectic, not electric"m

"I wonder if Shirley Temple ever realized
the misery those dolls must have caused
children all over the world?"

Kim

Aug 12, 2001, 5:08:19 PM8/12/01

"Doug" <abx...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I also believe all of Roy's hit were direct. That's
> unimaginable. 7 times and surviving is beyond even
> the most bizarre probability one can imagine. It's
> also beyond explanation that he even had a brain left.

If I was him I would have played the lottery *every week* after being hit
the second time. If it's more probable that you'd be hit by lightning than
win the lottery - I wonder if that changed the odds for him.

Kim

Boron Elgar

Aug 12, 2001, 5:32:28 PM8/12/01
On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 17:08:19 -0400, "Kim" <ki...@NOSPAMatlantic.net>
wrote:

>"Doug" <abx...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I also believe all of Roy's hit were direct. That's
>> unimaginable. 7 times and surviving is beyond even
>> the most bizarre probability one can imagine. It's
>> also beyond explanation that he even had a brain left.
>
>If I was him I would have played the lottery *every week* after being hit
>the second time. If it's more probable that you'd be hit by lightning than
>win the lottery - I wonder if that changed the odds for him.

Based on this lottery-lightning thing that is always quoted, I
happened to find a place on the NJ lottery page that lets you input
your zipcode & find get a list of all the lottery winners in it.

Since 1990, 30 people have won 20 grand or more, with 8 wining over a
million. This town is not that big. If anyone got hit by lightning,
it'd front page around here.

I am going out to buy a ticket right now.

Boron

Doug

Aug 12, 2001, 6:11:21 PM8/12/01
Boron Elgar wrote

> Based on this lottery-lightning thing that is always quoted, I

It kinda works like this ...

You can use

http://www.cnn.com/2001/fyi/news/06/18/lightning.awareness/

for stats. In the US, 75 people/yr get killed by lightning.

But here's some more. The figures I don't have cites for,
just old notes ...

100 hits/second to the earth.
25M hits/yr in just the US.
1,500 hits/yr to people in the US.
75-100 fatal hits/yr to people in the US.

Being hit is 1,500/25M or roughly 1 in 16,000
Being killed is 100/25M or roughly 1 in 250,000

The chances that someone will be killed by lightning each
year is much higher than a lot of other activities.

- Doug

Stephen

Aug 12, 2001, 7:45:41 PM8/12/01
>100 hits/second to the earth.
>25M hits/yr in just the US.
>1,500 hits/yr to people in the US.
>75-100 fatal hits/yr to people in the US.
>
>Being hit is 1,500/25M or roughly 1 in 16,000
>Being killed is 100/25M or roughly 1 in 250,000
>
>The chances that someone will be killed by lightning each
>year is much higher than a lot of other activities.
- Doug

Seems you're looking at the numbers from the lightning's chances of hitting a
person, rather than a person's chances of being hit...
__________________
Stephen
http://stephen.fathom.org
Satellite Hunting 2.0.3 visible pass prediction shareware available for
download at
http://stephen.fathom.org/sathunt.html

Doug

Aug 12, 2001, 10:00:26 PM8/12/01
Stephen wrote

> >100 hits/second to the earth.
> >25M hits/yr in just the US.
> >1,500 hits/yr to people in the US.
> >75-100 fatal hits/yr to people in the US.
> >
> >Being hit is 1,500/25M or roughly 1 in 16,000
> >Being killed is 100/25M or roughly 1 in 250,000
> >
> >The chances that someone will be killed by lightning each
> >year is much higher than a lot of other activities.
> - Doug
>
> Seems you're looking at the numbers from the lightning's chances of
hitting a
> person, rather than a person's chances of being hit...

You'd rather (number of people fatally hit)/(total number of people)?
Let's see, 100/260M is 1 in 2,500,000

Is that better?

- Doug

Gary S. Callison

Aug 13, 2001, 8:30:33 AM8/13/01
Interesting to me to open today's Chicago Tribune at dinner this morning
and find the following, section 1 page 5 column 1 (I don't go for any of
that thar newfangled 'internet' thingy, this is real live dead tree
newspaper!)

GUATEMALA
Lightning kills 2 soccer players

GUATEMALA CITY - Two soccer players were killed at a stadium when
lightning struck a metal guard rail surrounding the field, authorities
said Sunday. Ten other players suffered severe burns.
Rosbin Yuman, 16, and Lester Marrioquin, 24, died at a game between
teams in Guatemala's third professional division.
The game was deep into the second half Saturday night when officials
elected to continue play despite a downpour at the municipal stadium in
chiquimulilla, 75 miles east of the capital. The fierce rains forced many
fans to leave, and no spectators were reported to be injured.

(Items compiled from Tribune news services.)

(copyright (c) 2001 Chicago Tribune Company. All rights reserved as to the
entire content. Reposted here without permission. Please don't sue me.
Any transcription errors are my own.)

--
Huey
I'm going to miss this newspaper when I move. Thankfully, the DC area has

Stephen

Aug 13, 2001, 12:53:41 PM8/13/01
>> Seems you're looking at the numbers from the lightning's chances of
>hitting a
>> person, rather than a person's chances of being hit...
>
>You'd rather (number of people fatally hit)/(total number of people)?
>Let's see, 100/260M is 1 in 2,500,000
>
>Is that better?
- Doug

Yes, that is closer.

The other way, a slow year for strikes would raise your odds. Say two bolts hit
the US in a year and one of them killed someone. My odds of being hit don't
become 50/50, but that is the way it was stated.

Eric

Aug 13, 2001, 5:27:19 PM8/13/01
N Jill Marsh <njm...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<5cbdntg34bg4v8n3k...@4ax.com>...

> On 12 Aug 2001 16:22:26 GMT, n...@nostradamus.net (!Caveat emptor
> Nostradamus)wrote:
>
> >If ECT (shock therapy) can cure depression, maybe lightning therapy
> >can induce it?
>
> Or cure it for ever and ever.
>
> Anyway, there are a large number of psychological symptoms
> attributable to lightning strikes, including memory and personality
> changes, long term changes in mood and ability to concentrate, sleep
> disturbances, seizure activity, etc, etc.

<snip>

One of my good friends who went to Eldorado high school in
Albuquerque NM was hit by lightning. Before he was hit he was a
straight A student, played on the soccer team and was a pretty devout
Christian. Afterwards he turned into the biggest party animal-pot head
I have ever met. *Note*, we became friends after the strike.

As an aside, he was hit during soccer practice and the strike
melted his braces together....ick.

Eric

Sean Houtman

Aug 14, 2001, 1:07:57 AM8/14/01
From: homers...@ev1.net (Eric)

> One of my good friends who went to Eldorado high school in
>Albuquerque NM was hit by lightning. Before he was hit he was a
>straight A student, played on the soccer team and was a pretty devout
>Christian. Afterwards he turned into the biggest party animal-pot head
>I have ever met. *Note*, we became friends after the strike.

Er, I went to Rio Grande, the general rule there was that turning into a party
animal-pot head had more to do with turning 15 than getting hit by lightning.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page; http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage
Last updated 04-15-01 with 65 pictures of Carlsbad Caverns "Big Room".

!Caveat emptor Nostradamus

Aug 14, 2001, 1:45:01 AM8/14/01
On 14 Aug 2001 05:07:57 GMT, seanh...@aol.com (Sean Houtman) wrote:

>From: homers...@ev1.net (Eric)
>
>> One of my good friends who went to Eldorado high school in
>>Albuquerque NM was hit by lightning. Before he was hit he was a
>>straight A student, played on the soccer team and was a pretty devout
>>Christian. Afterwards he turned into the biggest party animal-pot head
>>I have ever met. *Note*, we became friends after the strike.
>
>Er, I went to Rio Grande, the general rule there was that turning into a party
>animal-pot head had more to do with turning 15 than getting hit by lightning.

Now we finally know what gets into them teenagers -- they got hit by
lightning.