HI GUYS!

Carol Lenore

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
I am sittin in the middle of a barn with my desktop all set up here. I
gotta horse across the way makin eyes at me and a lot of art to deal
with here yet tonight. I know one thing... and that is things seem sorta
slow around afba land. Somebody light a fire under all of you. Which
reminds me... Where is Spooner? Oh... out there on his tractor assisting
the neighbors with clean up no doubt or giving child birth to new ideas.
Stuart and Anne are into pubic hair and the messy delights of x files. I
got a heap of dung near by here I gotta deal with... so I can relate.

Just droppin in to say hi. Get some new topics otay?

--
Carol http://www.carols-art.com/
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."- Groucho Marx

Stuart Rogers

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
Carol Lenore wrote in message <37C4C04F...@carols-art.com>...

>I am sittin in the middle of a barn with my desktop all set up here. I
>gotta horse across the way makin eyes at me...

Well, some people have what it takes, some people don't.

>.... and a lot of art to deal

>with here yet tonight. I know one thing... and that is things seem sorta

>slow around afba land....

Yes, it has been rather quiet. Funny how that coincides with you
running out on us...!

>... Somebody light a fire under all of you. Which

>reminds me... Where is Spooner? Oh... out there on his tractor assisting

>the neighbors with clean up no doubt or giving child birth to new ideas...

Probably out looking for fire insurance. Don't want to get the
JD singed now, do we?

>Stuart and Anne are into pubic hair and the messy delights of x files....

Not so. Steve and Anne, perhaps, but not Stuart and Anne.

>... I

>got a heap of dung near by here I gotta deal with... so I can relate.
>
>Just droppin in to say hi. Get some new topics otay?

Errrrmmmm.....

Perhaps I should scare Anne and Ken by letting on that I might
be going on a company jolly to Canada early next year. Could
Canada take the excitement of three afbans at a time? I think
not.

Stuart.

Alan Brand

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
Stuart Rogers wrote:

> Perhaps I should scare Anne and Ken by letting on that I might
> be going on a company jolly to Canada early next year. Could
> Canada take the excitement of three afbans at a time? I think
> not.

Oi, what about me?

--
AlanB (thinking that a CJ is likely to be Toronto rather than the East Coast,
so be nice)

Carol Lenore

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99

Stuart Rogers wrote:

> Carol Lenore wrote in message <37C4C04F...@carols-art.com>...
> >I am sittin in the middle of a barn with my desktop all set up here. I
> >gotta horse across the way makin eyes at me...
>
> Well, some people have what it takes, some people don't.

Well it seems my talents lie more in the bovine arena rather than with
horses. I found this out 2 weeks ago on my daily run. I said a simple
"hello!" to a couple cows who were on the other side of the fence when I
slowed to a walk, and 20 feet down the way the whole herd came running
toward me dust flying everywhere. When I saw this it scared the heebie
jeebies out of me and I jumped like 5 feet at once and broke into a run!

Jez call me the "cow whisperer"! ...moo goo gui pan.

> >.... and a lot of art to deal
> >with here yet tonight. I know one thing... and that is things seem sorta
> >slow around afba land....
>
> Yes, it has been rather quiet. Funny how that coincides with you
> running out on us...!

I did not. I had things to do and didn't take my puter with me. I am
thinking of starting a page to show ya.... if you want. ( ...Don't all
jump at once!)

> >... Somebody light a fire under all of you. Which
> >reminds me... Where is Spooner? Oh... out there on his tractor assisting
> >the neighbors with clean up no doubt or giving child birth to new ideas...
>
> Probably out looking for fire insurance. Don't want to get the
> JD singed now, do we?

Hey last week I saw an antique John Deere Tractor show. Everyone had a
history posted and all the work listed that was done to restore them.
Surprisingly they all looked younger than Spooner's...

> >Stuart and Anne are into pubic hair and the messy delights of x files....
>
> Not so. Steve and Anne, perhaps, but not Stuart and Anne.

Are you sure? Not interested in these topics eh Steve?

> >... I
>
> >got a heap of dung near by here I gotta deal with... so I can relate.
> >
> >Just droppin in to say hi. Get some new topics otay?

I know, how about favorite Thai Restaurants? No one has done that one
yet eh? Anyone for peanut oil and salmon?

> Errrrmmmm.....

> Perhaps I should scare Anne and Ken by letting on that I might
> be going on a company jolly to Canada early next year. Could
> Canada take the excitement of three afbans at a time? I think
> not.

Yes, but will they let you in?

--
Carol http://www.carols-art.com/san_diego_meet.html

A B Magee

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
Quoth Carol Lenore on 26 Aug 1999 21:26:29 -0700:

>In article <37c5edf7...@news.nbnet.nb.ca>, abm...@aoarg.ao.pn says...

>>Quoth Carol Lenore on Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:19:27 -0700:

>>HI CAROL!

>Howdy there Anne!

>>>I am sittin in the middle of a barn with my desktop all set up here. I
>>>gotta horse across the way makin eyes at me

>>Lucky you. Horses have nice eyes.

>The eyes on the black Percheron I shot this morning were about 2" round, black
>as night and shiny as an onyx marble. And he is just a baby 1 year old. I
>looked at him and my mouth watered, not unlike being in a candy store or bakery
>full of goodies.

I do hope you mean shot with a camera. Pore little horsey.

>>>and a lot of art to deal
>>>with here yet tonight. I know one thing... and that is things seem sorta
>>>slow around afba land.

>>You noticed, eh? I've been thinking about calling the coroner.

>Does he like to post too?

Dunno. But it's worth trying.

>I found a girl juggler for Ken, but after I showed her
>afba and she said she thought she would like to read and perhaps post to afba
>too... her husband came along and spoiled the whole scenario!

She could always get a divorce.

>>>Somebody light a fire under all of you. Which
>>>reminds me... Where is Spooner? Oh... out there on his tractor assisting
>>>the neighbors with clean up no doubt or giving child birth to new ideas.

>>>Stuart and Anne are into pubic hair and the messy delights of x files.

>>That's Steve. Steve is not Stuart and Stuart is not Steve. In fact,
>>one might say that Steve is Steve and Stuart is Stuart. For some
>>values of Steve and Stuart.

>I know Stuart was Steve,
^
not

>but I don't know if they knew the difference... do you?

Eve does not equal uart.

>>Ever notice that if you say (or type) a word too many times, it turns
>>into a noise?

>Like the dreaded flatulence kinda noise or what?

No. Just a noise.

>>>got a heap of dung near by here I gotta deal with... so I can relate.

>>Missed the crystal bucket, eh?

>Tsk... I'm in a real nice motel for a change... oh! The stories I could tell ya.
>This one is brand new. It is posted on the wall by the door that the price per
>night is $84 but I paid $174 for 7 days soooo do you think somebody made a
>mistake?

Probably their starving artists rate.

>It has a little kitchen with only a two burner stove, micro, frig, uh
>bath with a real toilet and the nicest showa which has two seats in it... I
>don't know why.

So you can sit down?

>I left my crystal bucket in Canby, Oregon last week. Au revoir.

Did you empty it first?

>>>Just droppin in to say hi. Get some new topics otay?

>>Yeah! Wake up, everyone!

>I know. I will buy a newspaper tomorrow, and look for something ya all might
>like to get yer teeth into, hmmmm?

Just make sure it has nothing to do with politics.

Anne
--
Never whistle your own canoe

See my photographs at http://members.xoom.com/abmagee/
See my internet friends at http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/abmagee/

kse...@earthlink.net

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
Alan Brand <alan....@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Stuart Rogers wrote:

>> Perhaps I should scare Anne and Ken by letting on that I might
>> be going on a company jolly to Canada early next year. Could
>> Canada take the excitement of three afbans at a time? I think
>> not.

>Oi, what about me?

Canada can use all the excitment it can get.

KS

Michael Spooner

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:19:27 -0700, Carol Lenore <art...@carols-art.com>
wrote:

>I am sittin in the middle of a barn with my desktop all set up here. I

>gotta horse across the way makin eyes at me and a lot of art to deal

>with here yet tonight. I know one thing... and that is things seem sorta

>slow around afba land. Somebody light a fire under all of you. Which

>reminds me... Where is Spooner? Oh... out there on his tractor assisting
>the neighbors with clean up no doubt or giving child birth to new ideas.

Childbirth? No, my ideas are still pregnant.

>Stuart and Anne are into pubic hair and the messy delights of x files. I

>got a heap of dung near by here I gotta deal with... so I can relate.

I don't believe I've ever met anyone that could relate to dung.

>Just droppin in to say hi. Get some new topics otay?

According to our charter all our new ideas must fit within old threads.

MS

Ken Butler

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
On 26 Aug 1999 21:26:29 -0700, Carol Lenore wrote:

> >Quoth Carol Lenore on Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:19:27 -0700:

> >>I know one thing... and that is things seem sorta
> >>slow around afba land.
> >

> >You noticed, eh? I've been thinking about calling the coroner.

I noticed, too. At least, it didn't take nearly as long as I expected
to get through the goings-on while I was away.

> Does he like to post too?

I don't think we've ever had an afba coroner. However, if I mention
the words "kippers for breakfast", I expect Karen will be able to make
a connection.

> I found a girl juggler for Ken, but after I showed her
> afba and she said she thought she would like to read and perhaps post to afba
> too... her husband came along and spoiled the whole scenario!

Typical, isn't it: if it's not "my boyfriend", it's "my husband".

Hrmph.

I've been practising my juggling, too. When I was in Charlottetown
(capital of Prince Edward Island, population 17,000), I found a book
about juggling, so I had to buy it. I'm learning a couple of new
tricks: "columns" and "rainbow cross", which are impossible to
describe, so I won't. You'll be impressed when you see them, though
(that is, if I can ever master them).

The juggling book is produced by an outfit aptly named "More Balls
than Most".

> >Ever notice that if you say (or type) a word too many times, it turns
> >into a noise?
>
> Like the dreaded flatulence kinda noise or what?

Not quite what I was thinking, though I know that if I type a word a
lot of times, I become convinced that I'm spelling it wrong.

Also, it's probably a bad idea to eat ice cream and post at the same
time, on account of it making your fingers all sticky. Presumably any
other things you can do that make your fingers sticky are also a bad
idea, but others know more about these things than I do.

> >>Just droppin in to say hi. Get some new topics otay?
> >

> >Yeah! Wake up, everyone!
>
> I know. I will buy a newspaper tomorrow, and look for something ya all might
> like to get yer teeth into, hmmmm?

Well, I could recycle some old topics, if that would help at all.

--
Ken Butler, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada
e-mail is butler at mscs dot dal dot ca

Ken Butler

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:47:46 GMT, Stuart Rogers wrote:

> Perhaps I should scare Anne and Ken by letting on that I might
> be going on a company jolly to Canada early next year.

Kewl. Though I find it a little unlikely that you'll end up anywhere
near here.

> Could
> Canada take the excitement of three afbans at a time? I think
> not.

There have even been three afbans in the same Canadian city before,
and it lived to tell the tale. Twice, actually: once in Tronna and
once in Vancouver. But it must have been a close thing.

A B Magee

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
Quoth Michael Spooner on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 02:59:44 GMT:

>According to our charter all our new ideas must fit within old threads.

'Charter'? 'New'? What do these strange words mean?

Michael Spooner

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 05:37:44 GMT, abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) wrote:

>Quoth Michael Spooner on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 02:59:44 GMT:
>
>>According to our charter all our new ideas must fit within old threads.
>
>'Charter'? 'New'? What do these strange words mean?

You have to understand, when I posted this I had just returned from the
12th floor of our corporate headquarters building and I still had that aura
around me.

You understand of course?

Michael, who usually reckons he needs a shower when he is surrounded by an
aura.

A B Magee

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
Quoth Michael Spooner on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:08:00 GMT:

>On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 05:37:44 GMT, abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) wrote:

>>Quoth Michael Spooner on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 02:59:44 GMT:

>>>According to our charter all our new ideas must fit within old threads.

>>'Charter'? 'New'? What do these strange words mean?

>You have to understand, when I posted this I had just returned from the
>12th floor of our corporate headquarters building and I still had that aura
>around me.

Goodness. We're lucky you didn't use "leveraging" and "paradigm"!

>You understand of course?

Poor man. You need to have a few beers, take off your clothes, and go
out for a run on the JD. You'll soon feel like yourself again.

>Michael, who usually reckons he needs a shower when he is surrounded by an
>aura.

I don't know if an ordinary shower will help much. Sandblasting maybe.

Michael Spooner

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:59:54 GMT, abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) wrote:

>Quoth Michael Spooner on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:08:00 GMT:
>
>>On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 05:37:44 GMT, abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) wrote:
>
>>>Quoth Michael Spooner on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 02:59:44 GMT:

>>>'Charter'? 'New'? What do these strange words mean?
>
>>You have to understand, when I posted this I had just returned from the
>>12th floor of our corporate headquarters building and I still had that aura
>>around me.
>
>Goodness. We're lucky you didn't use "leveraging" and "paradigm"!

Well my presentation was well received by the Risk Management Dept., but I
narrowly avoided "synergy" and "learnings". I was so badly shaken by the
experience that I left my flip-chart easel leaning again the wall at space
#18 in the parking garage in the bowels of the building.

>>You understand of course?
>
>Poor man. You need to have a few beers, take off your clothes, and go
>out for a run on the JD. You'll soon feel like yourself again.

I would, but at 11:00 am it was already 90F/32C +.

>>Michael, who usually reckons he needs a shower when he is surrounded by an
>>aura.
>
>I don't know if an ordinary shower will help much. Sandblasting maybe.

Hey, I'm not as bed as those homeless guys with the wire Winnabagos.

Michael, his forgettery rose to new heights yesterday boy.

A B Magee

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
Quoth Michael Spooner on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 18:07:56 GMT:

>On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:59:54 GMT, abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) wrote:
>
>>Quoth Michael Spooner on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:08:00 GMT:

>>>You have to understand, when I posted this I had just returned from the

>>>12th floor of our corporate headquarters building and I still had that aura
>>>around me.

>>Goodness. We're lucky you didn't use "leveraging" and "paradigm"!

>Well my presentation was well received by the Risk Management Dept., but I
>narrowly avoided "synergy" and "learnings". I was so badly shaken by the
>experience that I left my flip-chart easel leaning again the wall at space
>#18 in the parking garage in the bowels of the building.

You have your own flip-chart easel? Do you have your own laser pointer
too? I want one of those.

>>>You understand of course?

>>Poor man. You need to have a few beers, take off your clothes, and go
>>out for a run on the JD. You'll soon feel like yourself again.

>I would, but at 11:00 am it was already 90F/32C +.

Blecch. We've been having a heatwave here too. Breaking 30 all week.
And, of course, on Tuesday and Wednesday, the a/c at work broke down
and we had two days of 34C and high humidity.

Is there anyplace in the world where the temperature rarely gets below
0 and never ever ever goes over 25C?

>>>Michael, who usually reckons he needs a shower when he is surrounded by an
>>>aura.

>>I don't know if an ordinary shower will help much. Sandblasting maybe.

>Hey, I'm not as bed as those homeless guys with the wire Winnabagos.

^^^

Is this Alan-bait?

>Michael, his forgettery rose to new heights yesterday boy.

I hold the copyright on "forgettery". That will be .001 cents please.

Geep

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
In article <37cf312f...@news.nbnet.nb.ca>, A B Magee
<abm...@aoarg.ao.pn> writes

>Quoth Michael Spooner on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 18:07:56 GMT:
>
>>I would, but at 11:00 am it was already 90F/32C +.
>
>Blecch. We've been having a heatwave here too. Breaking 30 all week.
>And, of course, on Tuesday and Wednesday, the a/c at work broke down
>and we had two days of 34C and high humidity.
>
>Is there anyplace in the world where the temperature rarely gets below
>0 and never ever ever goes over 25C?

England? Doesn't very often get much below freezing, and 25 is, what,
high 70s? Not too many days hit the 80s F
--
Geep, who enjoyed about 75F today. And it's a Bank holiday weekend

A B Magee

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
Quoth Geep on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:14:57 +0100:

>In article <37cf312f...@news.nbnet.nb.ca>, A B Magee
><abm...@aoarg.ao.pn> writes
>>Quoth Michael Spooner on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 18:07:56 GMT:

>>>I would, but at 11:00 am it was already 90F/32C +.

>>Blecch. We've been having a heatwave here too. Breaking 30 all week.
>>And, of course, on Tuesday and Wednesday, the a/c at work broke down
>>and we had two days of 34C and high humidity.

>>Is there anyplace in the world where the temperature rarely gets below
>>0 and never ever ever goes over 25C?

>England? Doesn't very often get much below freezing, and 25 is, what,
>high 70s? Not too many days hit the 80s F

If I was to go back over there, I'd have to go to Scotland or my
father would kill me. England indeed!

Nick Piesco

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
A B Magee (abm...@aoarg.ao.pn) wrote:

<snip>

: Is there anyplace in the world where the temperature rarely gets below

: 0 and never ever ever goes over 25C?

How 'bout San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, Portland (not on the coast
but similar climate, I hear), or Pacific coast points in between? Hope you
like rain/mist/fog though...

--N., Hot Muggy South Boy

--
Nick Piesco... always looks on the bright side of life.
mailto:bohemian%40futuresouth.com Bohemian::::0xe5ad

Geep

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
In article <37c8db3d...@news.nbnet.nb.ca>, A B Magee
<abm...@aoarg.ao.pn> writes

>Quoth Geep on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:14:57 +0100:
>
>>>Is there anyplace in the world where the temperature rarely gets below
>>>0 and never ever ever goes over 25C?
>
>>England? Doesn't very often get much below freezing, and 25 is, what,
>>high 70s? Not too many days hit the 80s F
>
>If I was to go back over there, I'd have to go to Scotland or my
>father would kill me. England indeed!

Hehehehe

Bet it's warmer (without being too hot) down here than it is up there,
though.

Scotland? Tsk!
--
Geep

Michael Spooner

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 19:02:19 GMT, abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) wrote:

>Quoth Michael Spooner on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 18:07:56 GMT:
>
>>On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:59:54 GMT, abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) wrote:
>>
>>>Quoth Michael Spooner on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:08:00 GMT:

>>>Goodness. We're lucky you didn't use "leveraging" and "paradigm"!
>
>>Well my presentation was well received by the Risk Management Dept., but I
>>narrowly avoided "synergy" and "learnings". I was so badly shaken by the
>>experience that I left my flip-chart easel leaning again the wall at space
>>#18 in the parking garage in the bowels of the building.
>
>You have your own flip-chart easel? Do you have your own laser pointer
>too? I want one of those.

Well yes, kinda sorta. I've got a digital laser thermometer for taking
temps from across the room or summat. Makes a dandy laser pointer,
although at $400 US, it's a bit of a pricey laser pointer.

>>>Poor man. You need to have a few beers, take off your clothes, and go
>>>out for a run on the JD. You'll soon feel like yourself again.
>

>>I would, but at 11:00 am it was already 90F/32C +.
>
>Blecch. We've been having a heatwave here too. Breaking 30 all week.
>And, of course, on Tuesday and Wednesday, the a/c at work broke down
>and we had two days of 34C and high humidity.

I would have sent you home with pay.

>Is there anyplace in the world where the temperature rarely gets below
>0 and never ever ever goes over 25C?

Yes, as long as you don't mind a little mist and fog.

>>>I don't know if an ordinary shower will help much. Sandblasting maybe.
>
>>Hey, I'm not as bed as those homeless guys with the wire Winnabagos.
> ^^^
>
>Is this Alan-bait?

Frankly I try my best to steer clear of beds with homeless guys in 'em.

>>Michael, his forgettery rose to new heights yesterday boy.
>
>I hold the copyright on "forgettery". That will be .001 cents please.

US or Canadian?

MS, poverty pocket boy.

A B Magee

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Quoth Nick Piesco on 29 Aug 1999 07:39:09 GMT:

>A B Magee (abm...@aoarg.ao.pn) wrote:
>
><snip>
>

>: Is there anyplace in the world where the temperature rarely gets below

>: 0 and never ever ever goes over 25C?

>How 'bout San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, Portland (not on the coast

>but similar climate, I hear), or Pacific coast points in between? Hope you
>like rain/mist/fog though...

I do, actually. Born in Glasgow. Rain is my friend.

>--N., Hot Muggy South Boy

Hot and muggy I can't stand.

A B Magee

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Quoth Geep on Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:11:49 +0100:

Yeah, but it's full of bluidy Sassenachs. With funny a*****s.

>Scotland? Tsk!

Hoot mon.

A B Magee

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Quoth Michael Spooner on Mon, 30 Aug 1999 05:59:03 GMT:

>On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 19:02:19 GMT, abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) wrote:

>>You have your own flip-chart easel? Do you have your own laser pointer
>>too? I want one of those.

>Well yes, kinda sorta. I've got a digital laser thermometer for taking
>temps from across the room or summat. Makes a dandy laser pointer,
>although at $400 US, it's a bit of a pricey laser pointer.

That sounds like even more fun! Click, click, Hey, Peter, you got a
fever, you'd better go home!

>>Blecch. We've been having a heatwave here too. Breaking 30 all week.
>>And, of course, on Tuesday and Wednesday, the a/c at work broke down
>>and we had two days of 34C and high humidity.

>I would have sent you home with pay.

I love you! Come here and be my boss!!!!!

>>Is there anyplace in the world where the temperature rarely gets below
>>0 and never ever ever goes over 25C?

>Yes, as long as you don't mind a little mist and fog.

I love mist and fog.

>>>Hey, I'm not as bed as those homeless guys with the wire Winnabagos.
>> ^^^

>>Is this Alan-bait?

>Frankly I try my best to steer clear of beds with homeless guys in 'em.

Soundsl like a good plan.

>>>Michael, his forgettery rose to new heights yesterday boy.

>>I hold the copyright on "forgettery". That will be .001 cents please.

>US or Canadian?

US of course. That would hardly be worth anything in Canadian cents.

Geep

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
In article <Sb7MN047hzT1NC...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
<abm...@aoarg.ao.pn> writes

>Quoth Geep on Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:11:49 +0100:
>
>>Bet it's warmer (without being too hot) down here than it is up there,
>>though.
>
>Yeah, but it's full of bluidy Sassenachs. With funny a*****s.

You are your Dad and I claim my five free Bond mini cars
--
Geep

Stuart Rogers

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Alan Brand wrote in message <37C5C4CC...@sympatico.ca>...

>Stuart Rogers wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I should scare Anne and Ken by letting on that I might
>> be going on a company jolly to Canada early next year. Could

>> Canada take the excitement of three afbans at a time? I think
>> not.
>
>Oi, what about me?

I didn't think I could scare you.

>AlanB (thinking that a CJ is likely to be Toronto rather than the East
Coast,
>so be nice)

This one will be to Quebec. The city, that is.

Stuart, brushing up on his French.

Stuart Rogers

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
A B Magee wrote in message ...

>Quoth Nick Piesco on 29 Aug 1999 07:39:09 GMT:
>
>>How 'bout San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, Portland (not on the coast
>>but similar climate, I hear), or Pacific coast points in between? Hope you
>>like rain/mist/fog though...
>
>I do, actually. Born in Glasgow. Rain is my friend.
>
>>--N., Hot Muggy South Boy
>
>Hot and muggy I can't stand.

I like hot, but muggy isn't for me.

It's been bloody hot today at the airfield, but at least our
box in the back of the Hercules has air conditioning---even
my own office doesn't have that. I can have A/C, but only
above 10,000 feet!

On the Hercules we have a GPS system with a graphical display
showing us where we are against an outline map of the UK. On
our way to the Atlantic I noticed we were about to pass over
the village where I usually go surfing. Cool!

The resolution of the display isn't all that good, but I still
decided to check out the on-board video camera (it looks
straight down) and lo! there it was! Woolacombe in all its
glory! Clean sands, glistening seas, bright sunshine, and there
I was stuck in a smelly metal box at 10,000 feet.

Too far up to check out the surf, however. Still, I'll see
about that soon enough...

Stuart, off surfing yet again tomorrow.

A B Magee

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
Quoth Stuart Rogers on Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:23:59 GMT:

>It's been bloody hot today at the airfield, but at least our
>box in the back of the Hercules has air conditioning---even
>my own office doesn't have that. I can have A/C, but only
>above 10,000 feet!

But why would you need a/c above 10,000 feet? Wouldn't it be cool
enough up there?

>On the Hercules we have a GPS system with a graphical display
>showing us where we are against an outline map of the UK. On
>our way to the Atlantic I noticed we were about to pass over
>the village where I usually go surfing. Cool!

And here I thought you went surfing in the ocean. Now I have to
picture you in the fountain in the village square.

>The resolution of the display isn't all that good, but I still
>decided to check out the on-board video camera (it looks
>straight down) and lo! there it was! Woolacombe in all its
>glory! Clean sands, glistening seas, bright sunshine, and there
>I was stuck in a smelly metal box at 10,000 feet.

You could have jumped out.

>Too far up to check out the surf, however. Still, I'll see
>about that soon enough...

Put a zoom lens on the video camera?

>Stuart, off surfing yet again tomorrow.

Don't forget your camera.

A B Magee

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
Quoth Geep on Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:55:42 +0100:

I am *not* my dad! I have hair!

Ken Butler

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:23:59 GMT, Stuart Rogers wrote:

> A B Magee wrote in message ...
> >

> >Hot and muggy I can't stand.
>
> I like hot, but muggy isn't for me.

I think I disagree with this, but I'm trying to parse Anne's statement
to see whether I disagree with that as well.

Perhaps I should just say "hot I can't stand & muggy I can't stand",
and let someone else with a bit more energy sort out what is logically
equivalent to what.

It's been really nice here the last couple of days: sunny and warm
without being hot. I watched fitba' last night (as it turned out, in
the company of two of the fellows I play fitba' with) and it couldn't
have been a nicer evening for sitting outside watching 22 other blokes
run around. (Not a bad game, though the result was never in doubt.)

> On the Hercules we have a GPS system

What with me being in a picky mood tonight and all, may I just remark
that "GPS" itself stands for "global positioning system", and
therefore that "GPS system" is redundant or pleonastic or some such
thing? Ta. You're so kind.

> with a graphical display
> showing us where we are against an outline map of the UK. On
> our way to the Atlantic I noticed we were about to pass over
> the village where I usually go surfing. Cool!
>

> The resolution of the display isn't all that good, but I still
> decided to check out the on-board video camera (it looks
> straight down) and lo! there it was! Woolacombe in all its
> glory! Clean sands, glistening seas, bright sunshine, and there
> I was stuck in a smelly metal box at 10,000 feet.

Kewl. Well, apart from the smelly metal box, but I think it'd be worth
it for the view.

Michael Spooner

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 03:04:30 -0300, A B Magee <abm...@aoarg.ao.pn> wrote:

>Quoth Michael Spooner on Mon, 30 Aug 1999 05:59:03 GMT:
>
>>On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 19:02:19 GMT, abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) wrote:
>
>>>You have your own flip-chart easel? Do you have your own laser pointer
>>>too? I want one of those.
>
>>Well yes, kinda sorta. I've got a digital laser thermometer for taking
>>temps from across the room or summat. Makes a dandy laser pointer,
>>although at $400 US, it's a bit of a pricey laser pointer.
>
>That sounds like even more fun! Click, click, Hey, Peter, you got a
>fever, you'd better go home!

Maybe not such a good idea, cause you might have to add to that, "Oh and
BTW Peter, I've just burned your retina".

>>>Blecch. We've been having a heatwave here too. Breaking 30 all week.
>>>And, of course, on Tuesday and Wednesday, the a/c at work broke down
>>>and we had two days of 34C and high humidity.
>
>>I would have sent you home with pay.
>
>I love you! Come here and be my boss!!!!!

Gosh, I still haven't recovered from being a substitute fill-in boss from
last week.

>>>Is there anyplace in the world where the temperature rarely gets below
>>>0 and never ever ever goes over 25C?
>
>>Yes, as long as you don't mind a little mist and fog.
>
>I love mist and fog.

Otay, California's central coast can be nice then. You didn't say you
needed a job though, that might be a problem.

>>> ^^^
>
>>>Is this Alan-bait?
>
>>Frankly I try my best to steer clear of beds with homeless guys in 'em.
>
>Soundsl like a good plan.

It's a plan I live by.

>>>I hold the copyright on "forgettery". That will be .001 cents please.
>
>>US or Canadian?
>
>US of course. That would hardly be worth anything in Canadian cents.

Otay, I sort of feel guilty when I leave pennies I drop on the ground. I'd
mail 'em cept that would cost me .33 US.

Michael, God must have loved the common people cause he made so many of
em', but try calling somebody common and see what happens boy.

A B Magee

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
Quoth Michael Spooner on Sun, 05 Sep 1999 20:27:25 -0700:

>On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 03:04:30 -0300, A B Magee <abm...@aoarg.ao.pn> wrote:

>>Quoth Michael Spooner on Mon, 30 Aug 1999 05:59:03 GMT:

>>>Well yes, kinda sorta. I've got a digital laser thermometer for taking

>>>temps from across the room or summat. Makes a dandy laser pointer,
>>>although at $400 US, it's a bit of a pricey laser pointer.

>>That sounds like even more fun! Click, click, Hey, Peter, you got a
>>fever, you'd better go home!

>Maybe not such a good idea, cause you might have to add to that, "Oh and
>BTW Peter, I've just burned your retina".

But he might get mad if I told him that.

kse...@earthlink.net

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) wrote:

>Quoth Michael Spooner on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 18:07:56 GMT:

>>On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:59:54 GMT, abm...@aoarg.ao.pn (A B Magee) wrote:
>>

>>>Poor man. You need to have a few beers, take off your clothes, and go
>>>out for a run on the JD. You'll soon feel like yourself again.

>>I would, but at 11:00 am it was already 90F/32C +.

>Blecch. We've been having a heatwave here too. Breaking 30 all week.

>And, of course, on Tuesday and Wednesday, the a/c at work broke down
>and we had two days of 34C and high humidity.

>Is there anyplace in the world where the temperature rarely gets below

>0 and never ever ever goes over 25C?

We've had a very mild summer here- nearly perfect for people who hate
heat- around 75F everyday. We're only a little farther north of
Campo (100 miles?) Of course this is completely uncharacteristic
for this area which makes me a little uneasy.

KS

Stuart Rogers

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
A B Magee wrote in message ...
>Quoth Stuart Rogers on Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:23:59 GMT:
>
>>It's been bloody hot today at the airfield, but at least our
>>box in the back of the Hercules has air conditioning---even
>>my own office doesn't have that. I can have A/C, but only
>>above 10,000 feet!
>
>But why would you need a/c above 10,000 feet? Wouldn't it be cool
>enough up there?

Indeed it would, if they opened the windows. All the electronic
gadgetry in the plane makes the insides rather hot. Not all
the plane is air conditioned, but the bit where I work is.

>>On the Hercules we have a GPS system with a graphical display

>>showing us where we are against an outline map of the UK. On
>>our way to the Atlantic I noticed we were about to pass over
>>the village where I usually go surfing. Cool!
>

>And here I thought you went surfing in the ocean. Now I have to
>picture you in the fountain in the village square.

Erm...?

There is a village. It is on the coast. Indeed, so much so
that it contains a beach. Crashing down on the beach are
tons of water. Thus, there is surf in the village. The village,
BTW, doesn't have a fountain.

Fountain surfing could be fun, I suppose...

>>The resolution of the display isn't all that good, but I still
>>decided to check out the on-board video camera (it looks
>>straight down) and lo! there it was! Woolacombe in all its
>>glory! Clean sands, glistening seas, bright sunshine, and there
>>I was stuck in a smelly metal box at 10,000 feet.
>

>You could have jumped out.

I could. What a ride!

>>Stuart, off surfing yet again tomorrow.
>
>Don't forget your camera.

Bugger. Actually I did take the camera, but there wasn't much
to photograph. The conditions were ideal for experienced
surfers, but all too horribly violent for beginners for me---
wiping out was a frequent occurrence.

Stuart.

Stuart Rogers

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
Ken Butler wrote in message <37cdf55...@piggy.rz.tu-ilmenau.de>...

>On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:23:59 GMT, Stuart Rogers wrote:
>
>> A B Magee wrote in message ...
>> >
>> >Hot and muggy I can't stand.
>>
>> I like hot, but muggy isn't for me.
>
>I think I disagree with this,....

You know what climatic conditions I prefer better than I do???

>> On the Hercules we have a GPS system
>

>What with me being in a picky mood tonight and all, may I just remark
>that "GPS" itself stands for "global positioning system", and
>therefore that "GPS system" is redundant or pleonastic or some such
>thing? Ta. You're so kind.

Yeah yeah yeah. I know. But do I care? Not one jot.
Perhaps it's possible to have a system of systems?

Stuart.

A B Magee

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
Quoth Stuart Rogers on Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:01:58 GMT:

>A B Magee wrote in message ...

>>Quoth Stuart Rogers on Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:23:59 GMT:
>>
>>>It's been bloody hot today at the airfield, but at least our
>>>box in the back of the Hercules has air conditioning---even
>>>my own office doesn't have that. I can have A/C, but only
>>>above 10,000 feet!

>>But why would you need a/c above 10,000 feet? Wouldn't it be cool
>>enough up there?

>Indeed it would, if they opened the windows. All the electronic
>gadgetry in the plane makes the insides rather hot. Not all
>the plane is air conditioned, but the bit where I work is.

I'm glad to hear they look after their bunnies.

>>>On the Hercules we have a GPS system with a graphical display
>>>showing us where we are against an outline map of the UK. On
>>>our way to the Atlantic I noticed we were about to pass over
>>>the village where I usually go surfing. Cool!

>>And here I thought you went surfing in the ocean. Now I have to
>>picture you in the fountain in the village square.

>Erm...?

>There is a village. It is on the coast. Indeed, so much so
>that it contains a beach. Crashing down on the beach are
>tons of water.

Ah. It's just that most people say they go surfing at a beach.

>Thus, there is surf in the village. The village,
>BTW, doesn't have a fountain.

I wouldn't think they'd need it if they have surf.

>Fountain surfing could be fun, I suppose...

On a largish fountain, with one of those little boards...

>>>The resolution of the display isn't all that good, but I still
>>>decided to check out the on-board video camera (it looks
>>>straight down) and lo! there it was! Woolacombe in all its
>>>glory! Clean sands, glistening seas, bright sunshine, and there
>>>I was stuck in a smelly metal box at 10,000 feet.

>>You could have jumped out.

>I could. What a ride!

Do you have a parachute? Or does the surfboard have enough surface to
slow you down?

>>>Stuart, off surfing yet again tomorrow.

>>Don't forget your camera.

>Bugger. Actually I did take the camera, but there wasn't much
>to photograph. The conditions were ideal for experienced
>surfers, but all too horribly violent for beginners for me---
>wiping out was a frequent occurrence.

Ah well, suffering is good for you. I'm told. Not sure why or how, but
that's what they say.

A B Magee

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
Quoth Stuart Rogers on Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:23:57 GMT:

>This one will be to Quebec. The city, that is.

Quebec's not that far from NB. A few hours on a train. Ken could tell
you how many. The three of us could have a meet in the train station
in Moncton.

>Stuart, brushing up on his French.

Better not brush too hard if it's French French. Better to sound like
an ignorant Englishman who's really trying than to sound Parisian.

Stuart Rogers

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
A B Magee wrote in message ...
>Quoth Stuart Rogers on Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:01:58 GMT:
>
>>A B Magee wrote in message ...
>
>>>But why would you need a/c above 10,000 feet? Wouldn't it be cool
>>>enough up there?
>
>>Indeed it would, if they opened the windows. All the electronic
>>gadgetry in the plane makes the insides rather hot. Not all
>>the plane is air conditioned, but the bit where I work is.
>
>I'm glad to hear they look after their bunnies.

So am I.

>>>You could have jumped out.
>
>>I could. What a ride!
>
>Do you have a parachute? Or does the surfboard have enough surface to
>slow you down?

It would have a slowing effect, but nothing compared to a true
parachute. Anyway, I think I would quickly lose the board unless
I strapped it to my feet. Snowboards have footstraps, and people
have been known to jump out of planes on those.

>>Bugger. Actually I did take the camera, but there wasn't much
>>to photograph. The conditions were ideal for experienced
>>surfers, but all too horribly violent for beginners for me---
>>wiping out was a frequent occurrence.
>
>Ah well, suffering is good for you. I'm told. Not sure why or how, but
>that's what they say.

That's what they say, but I find people are a poor source of data.
I certainly think they're wrong on this count---suffering can't
be good for you. If it were, it wouldn't be called suffering. And
there wouldn't be anything bad for you.

Stuart.

Stuart Rogers

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
A B Magee wrote in message ...
>Quoth Stuart Rogers on Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:23:57 GMT:
>
>>This one will be to Quebec. The city, that is.
>
>Quebec's not that far from NB. A few hours on a train. Ken could tell
>you how many. The three of us could have a meet in the train station
>in Moncton.

What a jolly good idea.

>>Stuart, brushing up on his French.
>
>Better not brush too hard if it's French French. Better to sound like
>an ignorant Englishman who's really trying than to sound Parisian.

I think my French is good enough, then.

Stuart.

Michael Spooner

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
On Mon, 06 Sep 1999 02:39:47 -0300, A B Magee <abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

>Quoth Michael Spooner on Sun, 05 Sep 1999 20:27:25 -0700:
>
>>On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 03:04:30 -0300, A B Magee <abm...@aoarg.ao.pn> wrote:
>
>>>Quoth Michael Spooner on Mon, 30 Aug 1999 05:59:03 GMT:

>>>That sounds like even more fun! Click, click, Hey, Peter, you got a
>>>fever, you'd better go home!
>
>>Maybe not such a good idea, cause you might have to add to that, "Oh and
>>BTW Peter, I've just burned your retina".
>
>But he might get mad if I told him that.

No, you just tell Peter it was all in the interest of medical science.

Michael, keeps his brain in a jar in the laboratory.

Michael Spooner

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99

Yes, wasn't it great? This unexpected phenomena caused me to put out of my
mind, for this year anyway, my annual call for the cancellation of June
through September.

Michael, summer hater in an arid land.

A B Magee

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
Quoth Stuart Rogers on Tue, 07 Sep 1999 19:01:46 GMT:

>A B Magee wrote in message ...
>>Quoth Stuart Rogers on Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:23:57 GMT:

>>>This one will be to Quebec. The city, that is.

>>Quebec's not that far from NB. A few hours on a train. Ken could tell
>>you how many. The three of us could have a meet in the train station
>>in Moncton.

>What a jolly good idea.

Better wait till Ken spots this. The "few hours" might turn out to be
something ridiculous like 20.

>>>Stuart, brushing up on his French.

>>Better not brush too hard if it's French French. Better to sound like
>>an ignorant Englishman who's really trying than to sound Parisian.

>I think my French is good enough, then.

Again, Ken can coach you. He has had recent experience. And he took
his clothes off on a train.

Ken Butler

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 19:01:46 GMT, Stuart Rogers wrote:

> A B Magee wrote in message ...
> >Quoth Stuart Rogers on Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:23:57 GMT:
> >
> >>This one will be to Quebec. The city, that is.
> >
> >Quebec's not that far from NB. A few hours on a train. Ken could tell
> >you how many. The three of us could have a meet in the train station
> >in Moncton.
>
> What a jolly good idea.

My recollection of the rudimentary nature of the station in Moncton
suggests that the shopping mall next to the station might be a better
venue for a meet.

Now, where's my Via Rail schedule? I was using it earlier tonight to
see how one might get from Halifax to Bennington, Vermont by train. Ah
yes, here we go:

Quebec City via ferry to Levis;

Levis dep. 22:35
Moncton arr. 11:05 (next day)

Moncton dep. 18:10
Levis arr. 04:35 (next day)

Just a few hours: no time at all, really.

Trains call at: Montmagny, La Pocatiere, Riviere-du-Loup,
Trois-Pistoles, Rimouski, Mont-Joli, Sayabec, Amqui, Causapscal,
Matapedia, Charlo, Jacquet River, Petit Rocher, Bathurst, Miramichi,
Rogersville and Moncton, as well as any other places that seem to
deserve a visit.

A B Magee

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
Quoth Stuart Rogers on Tue, 07 Sep 1999 19:01:44 GMT:

>A B Magee wrote in message ...

>>Ah well, suffering is good for you. I'm told. Not sure why or how, but

>>that's what they say.

>That's what they say, but I find people are a poor source of data.
>I certainly think they're wrong on this count---suffering can't
>be good for you. If it were, it wouldn't be called suffering. And
>there wouldn't be anything bad for you.

That's more or less the way I think. I mean, it seems so obvious and
logical. But you just can'f fight cliches!

A B Magee

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
Quoth Ken Butler on Wed, 08 Sep 1999 05:39:13 GMT:

>On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 19:01:46 GMT, Stuart Rogers wrote:

>> A B Magee wrote in message ...

>> >Quoth Stuart Rogers on Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:23:57 GMT:

>> >Quebec's not that far from NB. A few hours on a train. Ken could tell
>> >you how many. The three of us could have a meet in the train station
>> >in Moncton.

>> What a jolly good idea.

>My recollection of the rudimentary nature of the station in Moncton
>suggests that the shopping mall next to the station might be a better
>venue for a meet.

Fine with me.

>Now, where's my Via Rail schedule? I was using it earlier tonight to
>see how one might get from Halifax to Bennington, Vermont by train. Ah
>yes, here we go:

>Quebec City via ferry to Levis;

>Levis dep. 22:35
>Moncton arr. 11:05 (next day)

>Moncton dep. 18:10
>Levis arr. 04:35 (next day)

>Just a few hours: no time at all, really.

Erk! That's longer than I recalled it. I thought it just seemed long
because the train stopped at every back door, apparently delivering
the milk.

I doubt if Stuart could get away for a day and a half just to spend 5
or 6 hours in a Tim Hortons in Moncton.

>Trains call at: Montmagny, La Pocatiere, Riviere-du-Loup,
>Trois-Pistoles, Rimouski, Mont-Joli, Sayabec, Amqui, Causapscal,
>Matapedia, Charlo, Jacquet River, Petit Rocher, Bathurst, Miramichi,
>Rogersville and Moncton, as well as any other places that seem to
>deserve a visit.

Like I said, delivering the milk.

Anne, who doesn't see St Louis de Ha Ha on that list

Ken Butler

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
On Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:01:59 GMT, Stuart Rogers wrote:

> Ken Butler wrote in message <37cdf55...@piggy.rz.tu-ilmenau.de>...

> >> I like hot, but muggy isn't for me.
> >
> >I think I disagree with this,....
>
> You know what climatic conditions I prefer better than I do???

You know what I mean. But do I care? Not one jot.

> >What with me being in a picky mood tonight and all, may I just remark
> >that "GPS" itself stands for "global positioning system", and
> >therefore that "GPS system" is redundant or pleonastic or some such
> >thing? Ta. You're so kind.
>
> Yeah yeah yeah. I know. But do I care? Not one jot.
> Perhaps it's possible to have a system of systems?

Perhaps.

Ken, pondering the difference between "a jot" and "an iota".

Ken Butler

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 18:42:07 -0700, Michael Spooner wrote:

> Yes, wasn't it great? This unexpected phenomena caused me to put out of my
> mind, for this year anyway, my annual call for the cancellation of June
> through September.

I have no objection to June through September as months (I mean, one
has to have some time off teaching), but I would prefer it if they
could have the weather of September through November.

Stuart Rogers

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
A B Magee <abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Quoth Stuart Rogers on Tue, 07 Sep 1999 19:01:44 GMT:

> >A B Magee wrote in message ...
>
> >>Ah well, suffering is good for you. I'm told. Not sure why or how, but
> >>that's what they say.
>
> >That's what they say, but I find people are a poor source of data.
> >I certainly think they're wrong on this count---suffering can't
> >be good for you. If it were, it wouldn't be called suffering. And
> >there wouldn't be anything bad for you.
>
> That's more or less the way I think. I mean, it seems so obvious and
> logical. But you just can'f fight cliches!

<Monty Python>
I think all right-thinking people are wrong!
</Monty Python>

Stuart, wondering if Ken's already said that as none of his recent
posts have arrived on my server yet.

Alan Brand

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
Ken Butler wrote:

> Ken, pondering the difference between "a jot" and "an iota".

Wot, no tittles?

--
AlanB

Michael Spooner

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
On Thu, 09 Sep 1999 05:02:58 GMT, kbu...@knattspyrnusambandislands.dal.ca
(Ken Butler) wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 18:42:07 -0700, Michael Spooner wrote:
>
>> Yes, wasn't it great? This unexpected phenomena caused me to put out of my
>> mind, for this year anyway, my annual call for the cancellation of June
>> through September.
>
>I have no objection to June through September as months (I mean, one
>has to have some time off teaching), but I would prefer it if they
>could have the weather of September through November.

Now when I think about it, if September was canceled then we'd have to wait
until October for the rug rats to go back to school.

Michael, who actually knows people who love living in the desert, so go
figure.

Ken Butler

Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99
On Thu, 09 Sep 1999 00:52:44 -0300, A B Magee wrote:

> Quoth Ken Butler on Wed, 08 Sep 1999 05:39:13 GMT:

<Moncton mini-meet>

> >Now, where's my Via Rail schedule? I was using it earlier tonight to
> >see how one might get from Halifax to Bennington, Vermont by train. Ah
> >yes, here we go:
>
> >Quebec City via ferry to Levis;
>
> >Levis dep. 22:35
> >Moncton arr. 11:05 (next day)
>
> >Moncton dep. 18:10
> >Levis arr. 04:35 (next day)
>
> >Just a few hours: no time at all, really.
>
> Erk! That's longer than I recalled it. I thought it just seemed long
> because the train stopped at every back door, apparently delivering
> the milk.

It really is that long, on account of Moncton being down near the
bottom of New Brunswick. (It's "only" another five or six hours to
Halifax.)

> I doubt if Stuart could get away for a day and a half just to spend 5
> or 6 hours in a Tim Hortons in Moncton.

Seems a little unlikely. Add to that the fact that, because the train
only runs once a day, and I'd be taking the train in the other
direction, I would have to spend two nights in Moncton to be there at
those times! (Or take the bus from Halifax, I suppose.)

> Anne, who doesn't see St Louis de Ha Ha on that list

That's 'cos it's not there. Well, the whole list isn't there any more,
on account of my having snipped it, but I mean that the town in
question was on a different route, the one that went through
Edmundston and down the western side of New Brunswick (no trains that
way for years).

A B Magee

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Quoth Ken Butler on Sun, 12 Sep 1999 05:13:17 GMT:

>On Thu, 09 Sep 1999 00:52:44 -0300, A B Magee wrote:
>
>> Quoth Ken Butler on Wed, 08 Sep 1999 05:39:13 GMT:
>
><Moncton mini-meet>

>> >Just a few hours: no time at all, really.

>> Erk! That's longer than I recalled it. I thought it just seemed long
>> because the train stopped at every back door, apparently delivering
>> the milk.

>It really is that long, on account of Moncton being down near the
>bottom of New Brunswick. (It's "only" another five or six hours to
>Halifax.)

But NB isn't all that big.

>> I doubt if Stuart could get away for a day and a half just to spend 5
>> or 6 hours in a Tim Hortons in Moncton.

>Seems a little unlikely. Add to that the fact that, because the train
>only runs once a day, and I'd be taking the train in the other
>direction, I would have to spend two nights in Moncton to be there at
>those times! (Or take the bus from Halifax, I suppose.)

Which is also a bit unlikely. Oh well, another good idea shot down by
the sheer size of the country.

>> Anne, who doesn't see St Louis de Ha Ha on that list

>That's 'cos it's not there. Well, the whole list isn't there any more,
>on account of my having snipped it, but I mean that the town in
>question was on a different route, the one that went through
>Edmundston and down the western side of New Brunswick (no trains that
>way for years).

I think we went through SLdHH when we visited Quebec City by train
back in 64 or thereabouts[1]. I have no idea whether we did or not
when I made my solo trek in the early 70s since we passed through
Quebec at night and I couldn't see out the window. (There were at
least six of us in a double seat designed for four. The train was busy
in those days.)

Anne

[1] My dad was on a lengthy business trip and the rest of us joined
him for a week. We stayed in the Ronde Pointe Hotel/Motel in Levis,
where I ate French Canadian Green Pea Soup every day for lunch. It's
very very good when fresh, but pretty sickening when canned.

Ken Butler

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
On Thu, 09 Sep 1999 20:09:12 GMT, Stuart Rogers wrote:

> <Monty Python>
> I think all right-thinking people are wrong!
> </Monty Python>

I must say, you look very fetching with that knotted handkerchief on
your head.

> Stuart, wondering if Ken's already said that as none of his recent
> posts have arrived on my server yet.

No. At least, I don't think so, but I am at the arse end of the
Internet.

Ken Butler

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99

Wot, no meat?
Wot, no meat?
Wot about a bit of British lamb?

That goes back a year or two (perhaps about as far as "Drinka pinta
milka day"). And it has nothing to do with tittles. Well, not the meat
part, anyway -- the milk part might.

Ken, drifting into randomness.

Ken Butler

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:56:00 -0700, Michael Spooner wrote:

> Now when I think about it, if September was canceled then we'd have to wait
> until October for the rug rats to go back to school.

We could just keep them in school all the time. That'd solve a lot of
problems.

A B Magee

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
Quoth Ken Butler on Fri, 17 Sep 1999 03:58:15 GMT:

>On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:56:00 -0700, Michael Spooner wrote:

>> Now when I think about it, if September was canceled then we'd have to wait
>> until October for the rug rats to go back to school.

>We could just keep them in school all the time. That'd solve a lot of
>problems.

But it would make it impossible to get out of the Fredericton Mall at
noon all year round instead of just September to June.

Anne

Stuart Rogers

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
Ken Butler <kbu...@knattspyrnusambandislands.dal.ca> wrote in message

> On Thu, 09 Sep 1999 20:09:12 GMT, Stuart Rogers wrote:
>
> > <Monty Python>
> > I think all right-thinking people are wrong!
> > </Monty Python>
>
> I must say, you look very fetching with that knotted handkerchief on
> your head.

Thank you.

> > Stuart, wondering if Ken's already said that as none of his recent
> > posts have arrived on my server yet.
>
> No. At least, I don't think so, but I am at the arse end of the
> Internet.

I don't think your arse end had anything to do with it. My ISP
recently had some Usenet problems, but I think the main culprit
was IE5/OE5 which had taken it upon itself to add you to the
"Block Sender" list without so much as a by-your-leave.

Stuart, happy to see Ken rehabilitated.

Michael Spooner

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 03:58:15 GMT, kbu...@knattspyrnusambandislands.dal.ca
(Ken Butler) wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:56:00 -0700, Michael Spooner wrote:
>
>> Now when I think about it, if September was canceled then we'd have to wait
>> until October for the rug rats to go back to school.
>
>We could just keep them in school all the time. That'd solve a lot of
>problems.

That would cut down on vacation/holiday time for teachers then? OTOH,
maybe keeping teachers off the street and out of trouble is a good idea?

Michael, rambling boy.

--
See my photos if you dare @ http://www.carols-art.com/MS_Photo_Works.html
Flash! a new improved low colorie version will soon be coming to a browser near you.

A B Magee

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
Quoth Stuart Rogers on Sat, 18 Sep 1999 19:57:28 GMT:

>Stuart, happy to see Ken rehabilitated.

I'd like to know how one gets habilitated in the first place.

Alan Brand

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
A B Magee wrote:

> Quoth Stuart Rogers on Sat, 18 Sep 1999 19:57:28 GMT:
>
> >Stuart, happy to see Ken rehabilitated.
>
> I'd like to know how one gets habilitated in the first place.

You should ask those father-rapers over there on the bench.

--
AlanB

A B Magee

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
Quoth Alan Brand on Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:46:42 GMT:

>A B Magee wrote:

Father-rapers? What kind of place is this?

Anne, thought afba was so nice...

Alan Brand

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
A B Magee wrote:

> Quoth Alan Brand on Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:46:42 GMT:
>
> >A B Magee wrote:
>
> >> Quoth Stuart Rogers on Sat, 18 Sep 1999 19:57:28 GMT:

> >> I'd like to know how one gets habilitated in the first place.
>
> >You should ask those father-rapers over there on the bench.
>
> Father-rapers? What kind of place is this?
>
> Anne, thought afba was so nice...

It was a reference to Alice's Restaurant.

--
AlanB (obscure is my middle name girl)

A B Magee

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
Quoth Alan Brand on Sun, 19 Sep 1999 21:15:36 GMT:

>A B Magee wrote:

>> Quoth Alan Brand on Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:46:42 GMT:

>> >You should ask those father-rapers over there on the bench.

>> Father-rapers? What kind of place is this?

>> Anne, thought afba was so nice...

>It was a reference to Alice's Restaurant.

<light dawns> Oh! The bit where he was jailed for littering and they
took away the toilet seat and the toilet paper in case he hit himself
on the head and drowned himself. Or something like that.

>--
>AlanB (obscure is my middle name girl)

AOB?

Anne, don't want a pickle girl

Stuart Rogers

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99

> Quoth Stuart Rogers on Sat, 18 Sep 1999 19:57:28 GMT:
>
> >Stuart, happy to see Ken rehabilitated.
>
> I'd like to know how one gets habilitated in the first place.

I think it's some kind of default state. The problem then
becomes: what do you call the state between habilitation and
rehabilitation? Dehabilitation? Unhabilitation? Exhabilitation?

Stuart.

Lorrill Buyens

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99
On the momentous occasion of Fri, 17 Sep 1999 03:58:14 GMT, the Great
Detective kbu...@knattspyrnusambandislands.dal.ca (Ken Butler) looked
the murderer straight in the eye and hissed:

>On Thu, 09 Sep 1999 20:18:09 GMT, Alan Brand wrote:
>> Ken Butler wrote:
>>
>> > Ken, pondering the difference between "a jot" and "an iota".
>>
>> Wot, no tittles?
>
>Wot, no meat?
>Wot, no meat?
>Wot about a bit of British lamb?

>That goes back a year or two (perhaps about as far as "Drinka pinta
>milka day"). And it has nothing to do with tittles. Well, not the meat
>part, anyway -- the milk part might.

I can still remember the "Milk: It does a body good" slogan from years
and years ago, much to my chagrin. (Hell, I can even remember at
least one of the *commercials*.)

The "Got milk?" ones are much funnier.

--
| Doctor Fraud |Always believe six|
|Mad Inventor & Purveyor of Pseudopsychology |impossible things |

Support the Jayne Hitchcock HELP Fund
http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/6172/helpjane.htm

The Odd Stray

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99
On Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:23:58 -0300, A B Magee <abm...@nbnet.nb.ca>
wrote:

>Quoth Alan Brand on Sun, 19 Sep 1999 21:15:36 GMT:
>
>>A B Magee wrote:
>
>>> Quoth Alan Brand on Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:46:42 GMT:

>>> Father-rapers? What kind of place is this?
>
>>> Anne, thought afba was so nice...
>
>>It was a reference to Alice's Restaurant.
>
><light dawns> Oh! The bit where he was jailed for littering and they
>took away the toilet seat and the toilet paper in case he hit himself
>on the head and drowned himself. Or something like that.

The one where he's been convicted of littering.

And disturbin' the peace.

So at the draft board, he's sittin' on the bench.

Sittin' on the Group W bench.

Surrounded by mother rapers, and father stabbers, and mother stabbers,
and father rapers.

And filling in the form with the question, on the other side, in the
middle of the other side, circled, quotated:

"Son ...

Have you rehabilitated yoreself?"

Odd - who didn't put the record on and so may be misquoting slightly

ande at san dot rr dot com

Ken Butler

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99
On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 00:44:13 -0300, A B Magee wrote:

> Quoth Ken Butler on Sun, 12 Sep 1999 05:13:17 GMT:
>

> >It really is that long, on account of Moncton being down near the
> >bottom of New Brunswick. (It's "only" another five or six hours to
> >Halifax.)
>
> But NB isn't all that big.

It is if the train has to go three times around it to get to anywhere
in it.

> >> Anne, who doesn't see St Louis de Ha Ha on that list
>
> >That's 'cos it's not there. Well, the whole list isn't there any more,
> >on account of my having snipped it, but I mean that the town in
> >question was on a different route, the one that went through
> >Edmundston and down the western side of New Brunswick (no trains that
> >way for years).
>
> I think we went through SLdHH when we visited Quebec City by train
> back in 64 or thereabouts[1].

Coming from where? Saint John, I take it, in which case a westerly
circle around NB would be shorter than an easterly one, and you would
indeed go through the place in question.

> I have no idea whether we did or not
> when I made my solo trek in the early 70s since we passed through
> Quebec at night and I couldn't see out the window. (There were at
> least six of us in a double seat designed for four. The train was busy
> in those days.)

Evidently so. It's often cheaper to fly nowadays (particularly if you
know your plans in advance). But not nearly as much fun.

On my last Canadian train journey (which, I am ashamed to report, was
over a year ago), I trundled along the south side of the St Lawrence
river during the evening. It was about 10:30 when we reached Quebec
City, and you could make out most of the old town, because it was all
lit up. Quite pretty, it was.

(When I first saw the Chateau Frontenac, which is some years ago now,
it did a fine job of supporting my theory that all old buildings in
Canada have green roofs.)

> [1] My dad was on a lengthy business trip and the rest of us joined
> him for a week. We stayed in the Ronde Pointe Hotel/Motel in Levis,
> where I ate French Canadian Green Pea Soup every day for lunch. It's
> very very good when fresh, but pretty sickening when canned.

Levis is where the Montreal-Halifax train stops; it's a short ferry
ride across the river from Quebec City.

Ken Butler

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99
On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 19:57:28 GMT, Stuart Rogers wrote:

> I don't think your arse end had anything to do with it.

That must be a first.

> My ISP
> recently had some Usenet problems, but I think the main culprit
> was IE5/OE5 which had taken it upon itself to add you to the
> "Block Sender" list without so much as a by-your-leave.

... as part of its "It's Tuesday so do something random" capability,
one presumes.

In fact, I didn't know either of those programs had anything so
complicated, but then I've spent less time using them than I have
trying to get them off my computer.

> Stuart, happy to see Ken rehabilitated.

I'm feeling much better, I must say.

Ken Butler

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99
On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 02:30:29 -0300, A B Magee wrote:

> Quoth Ken Butler on Fri, 17 Sep 1999 03:58:15 GMT:

> >We could just keep them in school all the time. That'd solve a lot of
> >problems.
>

> But it would make it impossible to get out of the Fredericton Mall at
> noon all year round instead of just September to June.

I don't see how that's a problem.

As long as they keep out of Chapters, anyway.

A B Magee

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99
Quoth Ken Butler on Fri, 24 Sep 1999 05:23:18 GMT:

>On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 00:44:13 -0300, A B Magee wrote:

>> Quoth Ken Butler on Sun, 12 Sep 1999 05:13:17 GMT:
>>
>> >It really is that long, on account of Moncton being down near the
>> >bottom of New Brunswick. (It's "only" another five or six hours to
>> >Halifax.)

>> But NB isn't all that big.

>It is if the train has to go three times around it to get to anywhere
>in it.

Is that some kind of magic train spell?

>> >That's 'cos it's not there. Well, the whole list isn't there any more,
>> >on account of my having snipped it, but I mean that the town in
>> >question was on a different route, the one that went through
>> >Edmundston and down the western side of New Brunswick (no trains that
>> >way for years).

>> I think we went through SLdHH when we visited Quebec City by train
>> back in 64 or thereabouts[1].

>Coming from where? Saint John, I take it, in which case a westerly
>circle around NB would be shorter than an easterly one, and you would
>indeed go through the place in question.

What, and miss Moncton? I thought you *had* to go through Moncton to
get anywhere in NB.

>> I have no idea whether we did or not
>> when I made my solo trek in the early 70s since we passed through
>> Quebec at night and I couldn't see out the window. (There were at
>> least six of us in a double seat designed for four. The train was busy
>> in those days.)

>Evidently so. It's often cheaper to fly nowadays (particularly if you
>know your plans in advance). But not nearly as much fun.

No, and not nearly as nice a view. Even that single cloned tree that
covers southern Ontario is more interesting than the tops of clouds.

>On my last Canadian train journey (which, I am ashamed to report, was
>over a year ago), I trundled along the south side of the St Lawrence
>river during the evening. It was about 10:30 when we reached Quebec
>City, and you could make out most of the old town, because it was all
>lit up. Quite pretty, it was.

Was it a whole year ago when you undressed on a train? Wow. I must be
having fun, because time is flying.

>(When I first saw the Chateau Frontenac, which is some years ago now,
>it did a fine job of supporting my theory that all old buildings in
>Canada have green roofs.)

<thinks> You know, you might be right. Except maybe for Loyalist House
in Saint John, which is wooden and probably doesn't have copper on the
roof. Not that I've ever seen the roof because it's kind of up in the
air and I've always been on the ground in that neighbourhood.

>> [1] My dad was on a lengthy business trip and the rest of us joined
>> him for a week. We stayed in the Ronde Pointe Hotel/Motel in Levis,
>> where I ate French Canadian Green Pea Soup every day for lunch. It's
>> very very good when fresh, but pretty sickening when canned.

>Levis is where the Montreal-Halifax train stops; it's a short ferry
>ride across the river from Quebec City.

I believe there's a bridge too. Unless it fell down or something.

Anne, would rather ride the ferry

A B Magee

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99
Quoth Ken Butler on Fri, 24 Sep 1999 05:23:21 GMT:

>On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 02:30:29 -0300, A B Magee wrote:

>> Quoth Ken Butler on Fri, 17 Sep 1999 03:58:15 GMT:

>> >We could just keep them in school all the time. That'd solve a lot of
>> >problems.

>> But it would make it impossible to get out of the Fredericton Mall at
>> noon all year round instead of just September to June.

>I don't see how that's a problem.

Allow me to explain. (I don't have a jacket; will a sweatshirt do?)

Fredericton Mall is across the street from Fredericton High School.
The students of FHS get out for lunch around 12 noon and they head
across to the mall in vast numbers somewhat reminiscent of the herd of
buffalo that used to thunder across the prairies but do so no longer.

>As long as they keep out of Chapters, anyway.

Chapters is in the other mall. Some of the students do travel that
far, despite that fact that it means crossing the highway illegally.
Some of them don't make it as far as Chapters, especially those that
make a detour to the hospital after they run into an overly friendly
automobile.

Anne, in run-on sentence mode tonight

A B Magee

Sep 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/25/99
Quoth Stuart Rogers on Sun, 19 Sep 1999 21:42:12 GMT:

>A B Magee <abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

>> Quoth Stuart Rogers on Sat, 18 Sep 1999 19:57:28 GMT:

>> >Stuart, happy to see Ken rehabilitated.

>> I'd like to know how one gets habilitated in the first place.

>I think it's some kind of default state. The problem then

>becomes: what do you call the state between habilitation and
>rehabilitation? Dehabilitation? Unhabilitation? Exhabilitation?

Parahabilitation? Antedishabilitation?

Anne

Ken Butler

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 02:53:30 -0300, A B Magee wrote:

> Chapters is in the other mall. Some of the students do travel that
> far, despite that fact that it means crossing the highway illegally.

How is one supposed to get to Chapters, then, if not by crossing the
highway?

Carol Lenore

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99

Ken Butler wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 02:53:30 -0300, A B Magee wrote:
>
> > Chapters is in the other mall. Some of the students do travel that
> > far, despite that fact that it means crossing the highway illegally.
>
> How is one supposed to get to Chapters, then, if not by crossing the
> highway?

Gosh.... do some people own vehicles and drive there?

--
Carol http://www.carols-art.com/
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."- Groucho Marx

A B Magee

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99
Quoth Ken Butler on Sat, 02 Oct 1999 07:00:02 GMT:

>On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 02:53:30 -0300, A B Magee wrote:

>> Chapters is in the other mall. Some of the students do travel that
>> far, despite that fact that it means crossing the highway illegally.

>How is one supposed to get to Chapters, then, if not by crossing the
>highway?

Over the overpass on Regent.

I suppose that's still crossing the highway, but you don't actually
touch the highway with your feet so your chances of being hit by a car
driving along the highway are considerably lower.

It's a much longer walk though, and your chances of being hit by a car
turning off Regent onto the highway or into the hotel or into the mall
are considerably higher.

Ken Butler

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
On Sun, 03 Oct 1999 01:09:48 GMT, A B Magee wrote:

> Quoth Ken Butler on Sat, 02 Oct 1999 07:00:02 GMT:
>

> >How is one supposed to get to Chapters, then, if not by crossing the
> >highway?
>
> Over the overpass on Regent.

Ah.

> I suppose that's still crossing the highway, but you don't actually
> touch the highway with your feet so your chances of being hit by a car
> driving along the highway are considerably lower.
>
> It's a much longer walk though, and your chances of being hit by a car
> turning off Regent onto the highway or into the hotel or into the mall
> are considerably higher.

Now I understand. And what with high school students not being
possessed of boundless patience, I can rather imagine them taking the
shortest route.

Reminds me of a spot in Vancouver where I often used to get off the
bus, beside a four-lane highway with a median in the middle. It was a
busy highway, but the stretch where I needed to cross had traffic
lights at both ends, so there were stretches of no traffic in which
one could cross at least halfway (and repeat the exercise for the
other half). Quite safe, as long as you took the trouble to watch for
traffic. But the last time I passed that way, the median had been
adorned with a great big fence.

I blame the high school students, myself. (I don't know whether there
were many of them there, but blaming highway engineers would be a
predictable act on my part.)

A B Magee

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
Quoth Ken Butler on Mon, 04 Oct 1999 04:53:42 GMT:

>On Sun, 03 Oct 1999 01:09:48 GMT, A B Magee wrote:

>> Quoth Ken Butler on Sat, 02 Oct 1999 07:00:02 GMT:

>> >How is one supposed to get to Chapters, then, if not by crossing the
>> >highway?
>
>> Over the overpass on Regent.

>Ah.

I think that's another thread.

>> I suppose that's still crossing the highway, but you don't actually
>> touch the highway with your feet so your chances of being hit by a car
>> driving along the highway are considerably lower.

>> It's a much longer walk though, and your chances of being hit by a car
>> turning off Regent onto the highway or into the hotel or into the mall
>> are considerably higher.

>Now I understand. And what with high school students not being
>possessed of boundless patience, I can rather imagine them taking the
>shortest route.

I believe there is a fence along that stretch of highway now. But the
whole thing will soon be deprived of practical significance or made
abstract or purely academic. Or, if you prefer, moot. The vast "they"
that controls the immediate cosmos[1] has chosen to build a new
highway. This confusing structure is making my life heck, what with
all night rumbles, dumps, and beepbeeps, and the nerve-racking drive
through The Construction Zone twice a day.

>Reminds me of a spot in Vancouver where I often used to get off the
>bus, beside a four-lane highway with a median in the middle. It was a
>busy highway, but the stretch where I needed to cross had traffic
>lights at both ends, so there were stretches of no traffic in which
>one could cross at least halfway (and repeat the exercise for the
>other half). Quite safe, as long as you took the trouble to watch for
>traffic. But the last time I passed that way, the median had been
>adorned with a great big fence.

Civic decoration?

>I blame the high school students, myself. (I don't know whether there
>were many of them there, but blaming highway engineers would be a
>predictable act on my part.)

Most things eventually come down to high school students. At least at
noon in the Fredericton Mall.

Anne

[1] I saw Carl Sagaan's Cosmos once many many many years ago, but I
still cannot see or hear or think the word "cosmos" without hearing
him say it.

Geep

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
In article <RUH4N5qtRpBqsApaVYrZmW8PWU=C...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
<abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes

>[1] I saw Carl Sagaan's Cosmos once many many many years ago, but I
>still cannot see or hear or think the word "cosmos" without hearing
>him say it.

I can't see the word "cosmos" without thinking of "factory" ...
--
Geep, obscure boy

A B Magee

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
Quoth Geep on Mon, 4 Oct 1999 11:20:03 +0100:

Hmm. "Cosmo's Factory"? The name rings a slight bell but I've no idea
what it might be.

Anne, amazing forgettery girl

Geep

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
In article <B7n4NzzDmIp2jP...@4ax.com>, A B Magee

<abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes
>Quoth Geep on Mon, 4 Oct 1999 11:20:03 +0100:
>>In article <RUH4N5qtRpBqsApaVYrZmW8PWU=C...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
>><abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes
>
>>>still cannot see or hear or think the word "cosmos" without hearing
>>>him say it.
>
>>I can't see the word "cosmos" without thinking of "factory" ...
>
>Hmm. "Cosmo's Factory"? The name rings a slight bell but I've no idea
>what it might be.

<g> It's the name of an LP. Erm, about 1972 I think ...
--
Geep

A B Magee

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
Quoth Geep on Mon, 4 Oct 1999 21:32:40 +0100:

You force me to it, you person you. AltaVista here I come...

Blankety bleep! It's CCR. I should've known *that*. <hangs head in
shame>

Hm, it's also the "internets [sic] largest Rocky Horror Web Site". How
strange.

Anne

Geep

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
In article <IFL5N8fUkwv+BZ...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
<abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes
>Quoth Geep on Mon, 4 Oct 1999 21:32:40 +0100:

>>>Hmm. "Cosmo's Factory"? The name rings a slight bell but I've no idea
>>>what it might be.
>
>><g> It's the name of an LP. Erm, about 1972 I think ...
>
>You force me to it, you person you. AltaVista here I come...

Just a thought ... have you tried Copernic? 'Tis quite useful -
searches several search engines simultaneously. Takes a few minutes to
download the first time, but after that, it seems to work well.

http://www.copernic.com (I think)

>Blankety bleep! It's CCR. I should've known *that*. <hangs head in
>shame>

An excellent album.

>Hm, it's also the "internets [sic] largest Rocky Horror Web Site". How
>strange.

Hmm. Yes, so it is. Bizarre.
--
Geep

Carol Lenore

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
In article <z2L6vDAU...@binnsroad.demon.co.uk>, Geep says...

>In article <IFL5N8fUkwv+BZ...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
><abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes
>>Quoth Geep on Mon, 4 Oct 1999 21:32:40 +0100:

>>><g> It's the name of an LP. Erm, about 1972 I think ...
>>
>>You force me to it, you person you. AltaVista here I come...
>
>Just a thought ... have you tried Copernic? 'Tis quite useful -
>searches several search engines simultaneously. Takes a few minutes to
>download the first time, but after that, it seems to work well.
>
>http://www.copernic.com (I think)

Also check out:

http://www.ferretsoft.com

I get a choice of browsers, plus 12 of the most used search engines. It
gives a little pop up box when I hold my curser over the entry that tells
what is basically at the site.

How else did I find all those proverbs in Catalan, hmmm?

--
Carol http://www.carols-art.com/campo_fire.html

A B Magee

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Quoth Geep on Tue, 5 Oct 1999 19:38:12 +0100:

>In article <IFL5N8fUkwv+BZ...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
><abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes

[Cosmo's Factory]

>>><g> It's the name of an LP. Erm, about 1972 I think ...

>>You force me to it, you person you. AltaVista here I come...

>Just a thought ... have you tried Copernic? 'Tis quite useful -
>searches several search engines simultaneously. Takes a few minutes to
>download the first time, but after that, it seems to work well.

>http://www.copernic.com (I think)

Bookmarked, thank you. I'll download it when I can clear up some room
on my C: drive. (I've been getting sarky notes from Windows.)

>>Blankety bleep! It's CCR. I should've known *that*. <hangs head in
>>shame>

>An excellent album.

I am familiar with most of the songs, so it must have spawned a lot of
singles.

>>Hm, it's also the "internets [sic] largest Rocky Horror Web Site". How
>>strange.

>Hmm. Yes, so it is. Bizarre.

What does Creedence Clearwater Revival have to do with the Rocky
Horror Picture Show? I can't see any connection.

A B Magee

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Quoth Carol Lenore on 5 Oct 1999 19:04:46 -0700:

>Also check out:

>http://www.ferretsoft.com

That's Web Ferret? You have to pay for that, don't you?

>I get a choice of browsers, plus 12 of the most used search engines. It
>gives a little pop up box when I hold my curser over the entry that tells
>what is basically at the site.

>How else did I find all those proverbs in Catalan, hmmm?

I don't know. I can't imagine why anyone would put them online for you
to find.

Geep

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
In article <rq76N=56c6P=8X0rhPNY=0ha...@4ax.com>, A B Magee

<abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes
>Quoth Geep on Tue, 5 Oct 1999 19:38:12 +0100:
>
>>In article <IFL5N8fUkwv+BZ...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
>><abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes
>
>[Cosmo's Factory]
>
>>http://www.copernic.com (I think)
>
>Bookmarked, thank you. I'll download it when I can clear up some room
>on my C: drive. (I've been getting sarky notes from Windows.)

Argh! I got one of those yesterday, on our server, so have been doing a
little creative rearranging. Doncha just love Mr Gates?

>>>Blankety bleep! It's CCR. I should've known *that*. <hangs head in
>>>shame>
>
>>An excellent album.
>
>I am familiar with most of the songs, so it must have spawned a lot of
>singles.

Certainly did, although I can't remember 'em offhand. I'm sure there
were at least three - Up around the bend, Bad Moon Rising and erm ...

>>>Hm, it's also the "internets [sic] largest Rocky Horror Web Site". How
>>>strange.
>
>>Hmm. Yes, so it is. Bizarre.
>
>What does Creedence Clearwater Revival have to do with the Rocky
>Horror Picture Show? I can't see any connection.

Neither can I. Spooky.
--
Geep

A B Magee

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Quoth Geep on Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:31:45 +0100:

[http://www.copernic.com]

>>Bookmarked, thank you. I'll download it when I can clear up some room
>>on my C: drive. (I've been getting sarky notes from Windows.)

>Argh! I got one of those yesterday, on our server, so have been doing a
>little creative rearranging. Doncha just love Mr Gates?

Not noticeably, no. I like how it asks me to click a button and it
will clear the space for me. Like I'd trust it.

Geep

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
In article <c2D7N0ydSgkb+A...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
<abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes

>Quoth Geep on Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:31:45 +0100:
> Doncha just love Mr Gates?
>
>Not noticeably, no. I like how it asks me to click a button and it
>will clear the space for me. Like I'd trust it.

Trust? TRUST? MS? Huh!

Just noticed that, using explorer, other people on our little toy
network can see where I've been on the Web. Not by looking at my
directories, though, cos my hard disk isn't shared. Strangely, whatever
appears in my history folder, is duplicated in everyone else's. Don't
know why.

Ahem. Should perhaps add that it doesn't show I've been reading PornRUs
or something, but I don't particularly want the world & his wife
wondering why I've been hunting strange sites like Replogle ...
--
Géčp

A B Magee

Oct 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/8/99
Quoth Geep on Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:14:18 +0100:

>In article <c2D7N0ydSgkb+A...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
><abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes
>>Quoth Geep on Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:31:45 +0100:
>> Doncha just love Mr Gates?

>>Not noticeably, no. I like how it asks me to click a button and it
>>will clear the space for me. Like I'd trust it.

>Trust? TRUST? MS? Huh!

Precisemente.

>Just noticed that, using explorer, other people on our little toy
>network can see where I've been on the Web. Not by looking at my
>directories, though, cos my hard disk isn't shared. Strangely, whatever
>appears in my history folder, is duplicated in everyone else's. Don't
>know why.

Yuck. That's horrible. Invasion of privacy or something. Can't you
make it stop?

>Ahem. Should perhaps add that it doesn't show I've been reading PornRUs
>or something, but I don't particularly want the world & his wife
>wondering why I've been hunting strange sites like Replogle ...

I don't know why you should think the world is male. I've examined by
Replogle carefully and I don't see any external genitalia at all, so
I'd say the sex of the planet has yet to be determined.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure why you should think the world is
married. Looks to me like it's shacking up with the moon, but I don't
see any marriage certificate.

Geep

Oct 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/8/99
Once upon a time, <w3n9N9V1wU2s+E...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
<abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> wibbled

>Quoth Geep on Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:14:18 +0100:
>
>>Just noticed that, using explorer, other people on our little toy
>>network can see where I've been on the Web. Not by looking at my
>>directories, though, cos my hard disk isn't shared. Strangely, whatever
>>appears in my history folder, is duplicated in everyone else's. Don't
>>know why.
>
>Yuck. That's horrible. Invasion of privacy or something. Can't you
>make it stop?

I'm working on it - or at least, trying to. I just can't work out how
it happens. If I use Windows Explorer, on someone else's PC, and look
in the Windows directory, on *their* C drive, my net explorations appear
- it can't be coincidence, cos my PC is the only one in the office with
Web access. Bizarre.

>>Ahem. Should perhaps add that it doesn't show I've been reading PornRUs
>>or something, but I don't particularly want the world & his wife
>>wondering why I've been hunting strange sites like Replogle ...
>
>I don't know why you should think the world is male.

Because it's partner is Mother Nature? Unless both are gay.

> I've examined by
>Replogle carefully and I don't see any external genitalia at all,

Hmm. Is the depth of the deepest sea greater than the height of the
highest mountain?

> so
>I'd say the sex of the planet has yet to be determined.

Who will determine? God? Ask her ...

>Come to think of it, I'm not sure why you should think the world is
>married. Looks to me like it's shacking up with the moon, but I don't
>see any marriage certificate.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to this divorced person ...
--
Géčp

A B Magee

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99
Quoth Geep on Fri, 8 Oct 1999 14:33:25 +0100:

>Once upon a time, <w3n9N9V1wU2s+E...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
><abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> wibbled
>>Quoth Geep on Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:14:18 +0100:

>>>Just noticed that, using explorer, other people on our little toy
>>>network can see where I've been on the Web. Not by looking at my
>>>directories, though, cos my hard disk isn't shared. Strangely, whatever
>>>appears in my history folder, is duplicated in everyone else's. Don't
>>>know why.

>>Yuck. That's horrible. Invasion of privacy or something. Can't you
>>make it stop?

>I'm working on it - or at least, trying to. I just can't work out how
>it happens. If I use Windows Explorer, on someone else's PC, and look
>in the Windows directory, on *their* C drive, my net explorations appear
>- it can't be coincidence, cos my PC is the only one in the office with
>Web access. Bizarre.

Obviously a microsnot imbecility.

>>>Ahem. Should perhaps add that it doesn't show I've been reading PornRUs
>>>or something, but I don't particularly want the world & his wife
>>>wondering why I've been hunting strange sites like Replogle ...

>>I don't know why you should think the world is male.

>Because it's partner is Mother Nature? Unless both are gay.

So who says they are partners? Might be employer and employee. Or
partners of the business variety.

>> I've examined by
>>Replogle carefully and I don't see any external genitalia at all,

>Hmm. Is the depth of the deepest sea greater than the height of the
>highest mountain?

At that scale, the one isn't very deep nor the other very high.

>> so
>>I'd say the sex of the planet has yet to be determined.

>Who will determine? God? Ask her ...

I suppose someone to whom it matters. Like a planet of the opposite
sex.

>>Come to think of it, I'm not sure why you should think the world is
>>married. Looks to me like it's shacking up with the moon, but I don't
>>see any marriage certificate.

>Sounds perfectly reasonable to this divorced person ...

Of course, the moon is moving slowly away...

Stuart Rogers

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99
Geep <ge...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Once upon a time, <w3n9N9V1wU2s+E...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
> <abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> wibbled
> >Quoth Geep on Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:14:18 +0100:
> >
> >>Just noticed that, using explorer, other people on our little toy
> >>network can see where I've been on the Web. Not by looking at my
> >>directories, though, cos my hard disk isn't shared. Strangely, whatever
> >>appears in my history folder, is duplicated in everyone else's. Don't
> >>know why.
> >
> >Yuck. That's horrible. Invasion of privacy or something. Can't you
> >make it stop?
>
> I'm working on it - or at least, trying to. I just can't work out how
> it happens. If I use Windows Explorer, on someone else's PC, and look
> in the Windows directory, on *their* C drive, my net explorations appear
> - it can't be coincidence, cos my PC is the only one in the office with
> Web access. Bizarre.

I'm sure there's a way of preventing Explorer from adding anything
to the History folder. Or at least minimising the effect.
For example, TweakUI has a "paranoia" section that clears such
folders at log-on. There's another section that does this at log-
off too.

Stuart.

Ken Butler

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
On 5 Oct 1999 19:04:46 -0700, Carol Lenore wrote:

> Also check out:
>
> http://www.ferretsoft.com
>

> I get a choice of browsers, plus 12 of the most used search engines. It
> gives a little pop up box when I hold my curser over the entry that tells
> what is basically at the site.
>
> How else did I find all those proverbs in Catalan, hmmm?

Well, that's another illusion shattered. There was I thinking you
actually spoke Catalan. Hrmph.

Here's a useful Catalan sentence:

"Un gos li va mossegar la cuixa."

Lorrill Buyens

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
On the momentous occasion of Wed, 06 Oct 1999 02:08:18 GMT, the Great
Detective A B Magee <abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> looked the murderer straight
in the eye and hissed:

>Quoth Geep on Tue, 5 Oct 1999 19:38:12 +0100:

>>In article <IFL5N8fUkwv+BZ...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
>><abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes
>
>[Cosmo's Factory]

>>>You force me to it, you person you. AltaVista here I come...
>
>>Just a thought ... have you tried Copernic? 'Tis quite useful -
>>searches several search engines simultaneously. Takes a few minutes to
>>download the first time, but after that, it seems to work well.
>
>>http://www.copernic.com (I think)
>

>Bookmarked, thank you. I'll download it when I can clear up some room
>on my C: drive. (I've been getting sarky notes from Windows.)
>

>>>Blankety bleep! It's CCR. I should've known *that*. <hangs head in
>>>shame>
>
>>An excellent album.
>
>I am familiar with most of the songs, so it must have spawned a lot of
>singles.

I actually have the album. I think I got it at a library sale.

>>>Hm, it's also the "internets [sic] largest Rocky Horror Web Site". How
>>>strange.
>
>>Hmm. Yes, so it is. Bizarre.
>
>What does Creedence Clearwater Revival have to do with the Rocky
>Horror Picture Show? I can't see any connection.

There was a little-known semi-sequel to _Rocky Horror_, called _Shock
Treatment_. Cosmo Nation was the name of one of the main characters.

--
| Doctor Fraud |Always believe six|
|Mad Inventor & Purveyor of Pseudopsychology |impossible things |
| Weird Science at Bargain Rates |before breakfast. |

Support the Jayne Hitchcock HELP Fund
http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/6172/helpjane.htm

Lorrill Buyens

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
On the momentous occasion of 5 Oct 1999 19:04:46 -0700, the Great
Detective Carol Lenore <Carol_...@newsguy.com> looked the murderer

straight in the eye and hissed:

>In article <z2L6vDAU...@binnsroad.demon.co.uk>, Geep says...
>>

>>In article <IFL5N8fUkwv+BZ...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
>><abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes

>>>Quoth Geep on Mon, 4 Oct 1999 21:32:40 +0100:

>>>You force me to it, you person you. AltaVista here I come...
>>
>>Just a thought ... have you tried Copernic? 'Tis quite useful -
>>searches several search engines simultaneously. Takes a few minutes to
>>download the first time, but after that, it seems to work well.
>>
>>http://www.copernic.com (I think)
>

>Also check out:
>
>http://www.ferretsoft.com
>
>I get a choice of browsers, plus 12 of the most used search engines. It
>gives a little pop up box when I hold my curser over the entry that tells
>what is basically at the site.
>
>How else did I find all those proverbs in Catalan, hmmm?

Http://www.dogpile.com also uses a dozen search engines, all at once,
and you have the option to search Usenet, the entire Internet, or FTP
sites.

Geep

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
Once upon a time, <37fb1299....@news.primenet.com>, Lorrill Buyens
<buyensl@prime*SPAMMERS.GO.HOME*net.com> wibbled

>On the momentous occasion of Wed, 06 Oct 1999 02:08:18 GMT, the Great
>Detective A B Magee <abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> looked the murderer straight
>>
>>What does Creedence Clearwater Revival have to do with the Rocky
>>Horror Picture Show? I can't see any connection.
>
>There was a little-known semi-sequel to _Rocky Horror_, called _Shock
>Treatment_. Cosmo Nation was the name of one of the main characters.

Ah ha! All becomes clear ...
--
Géčp

A B Magee

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
Quoth B Bigelow on Sun, 10 Oct 1999 10:14:18 -0400:

><ge...@binnsroad.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>: In article <IFL5N8fUkwv+BZ...@4ax.com>, A B Magee
>: <abm...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes

>: >You force me to it, you person you. AltaVista here I come...

>:
>: Just a thought ... have you tried Copernic? 'Tis quite useful -
>: searches several search engines simultaneously. Takes a few minutes to
>: download the first time, but after that, it seems to work well.

>: http://www.copernic.com (I think)

>Has anyone Googled?

>www.google.com

I use Google on occasion. The thing is though that it only googles
sites that are linked from other sites, so it doesn't find newish
standalone sites.

>Ver ver clean and fast. No poxy banner ads either. How do they do it?

It is fasst, and it sometimes comes up with stuff that Altavist
doesn't. As to how they do it, I don't know. They must be rich
philantropists.

Geep

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
Once upon a time, <bee-101099...@pm3a22.ben.sover.net>, B Bigelow
<b...@spamno.sover.net> wibbled
>: http://www.copernic.com (I think)
>
>Has anyone Googled?
>
>www.google.com
>
>Ver ver clean and fast. No poxy banner ads either. How do they do it?

Haven't tried that one - I'll have a look.

Copernic is an .exe file that you download, and it searches a dozen or
more of the usual engines, the advantage being speed, because it is
local.
--
Géčp

Geep

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
Once upon a time, <Y%ML3.8946$18.2...@nnrp3.clara.net>, Stuart Rogers
<stuart...@no.spam.please.clara.co.uk> wibbled

>Geep <ge...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm working on it - or at least, trying to. I just can't work out how
>> it happens. If I use Windows Explorer, on someone else's PC, and look
>> in the Windows directory, on *their* C drive, my net explorations appear
>> - it can't be coincidence, cos my PC is the only one in the office with
>> Web access. Bizarre.
>
>I'm sure there's a way of preventing Explorer from adding anything
>to the History folder. Or at least minimising the effect.

I realise that I can prevent anything from being added to my History
folder - I'd just like to prevent anything being added to everyone
else's History folder. I just can't understand how or why it happens.

>For example, TweakUI has a "paranoia" section that clears such
>folders at log-on. There's another section that does this at log-
>off too.

Thanks for that. This is W98 SE, which apparently doesn't include
TweakUI - I've just searched through the .exe files on the CD. All 186
of 'em. Hey ho. I'll just have to download it from somewhere.

Cheers,
--
Géèp

Geep

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Once upon a time, <bee-101099...@pm4a28.ben.sover.net>, B Bigelow
<b...@spamno.sover.net> wibbled
>: Copernic is an .exe file that you download, and it searches a dozen or

>: more of the usual engines, the advantage being speed, because it is
>: local.
>
>Sounds like Sherlock.
>
>I'll try it if they offer something more useful than an .exe file. <spit>
>
>--
>bb - Apple girl

Whoops! Didn't notice that.
--
Geep, Pee Cee Bee. Err, boy.

Stuart Rogers

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

> Once upon a time, <Y%ML3.8946$18.2...@nnrp3.clara.net>, Stuart Rogers
> <stuart...@no.spam.please.clara.co.uk> wibbled
> >Geep <ge...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I'm working on it - or at least, trying to. I just can't work out how
> >> it happens. If I use Windows Explorer, on someone else's PC, and look
> >> in the Windows directory, on *their* C drive, my net explorations
appear
> >> - it can't be coincidence, cos my PC is the only one in the office with
> >> Web access. Bizarre.
> >
> >I'm sure there's a way of preventing Explorer from adding anything
> >to the History folder. Or at least minimising the effect.
>
> I realise that I can prevent anything from being added to my History
> folder - I'd just like to prevent anything being added to everyone
> else's History folder. I just can't understand how or why it happens.

Perhaps you should get everyone else to tweak their settings?
No, I suppose not.

I occasionally had similar problems with my old works network,
but in that case it occurred when I was logged on at two separate
WinNT machines---the parts of the start menus of each PC ended
up being swapped.

> >For example, TweakUI has a "paranoia" section that clears such
> >folders at log-on. There's another section that does this at log-
> >off too.
>
> Thanks for that. This is W98 SE, which apparently doesn't include
> TweakUI - I've just searched through the .exe files on the CD. All 186
> of 'em. Hey ho. I'll just have to download it from somewhere.

On my Win98 (1st edition) disc it's not a .exe file, and is found
in ":\tools\reskit\powertoy". There's a .inf file that sets it up.

Then again, perhaps Microsnort decided they'd finally perfected
their software and left TweakUI out!

Stuart.

Ken Butler

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
On Mon, 04 Oct 1999 06:06:16 GMT, A B Magee wrote:

> Quoth Ken Butler on Mon, 04 Oct 1999 04:53:42 GMT:

> >Ah.

> I think that's another thread.

<thinks>

You're absolutely right.

> I believe there is a fence along that stretch of highway now. But the
> whole thing will soon be deprived of practical significance or made
> abstract or purely academic. Or, if you prefer, moot.

Moot is good. Especially during TV commercials.

> The vast "they"
> that controls the immediate cosmos[1] has chosen to build a new
> highway. This confusing structure is making my life heck, what with
> all night rumbles, dumps, and beepbeeps, and the nerve-racking drive
> through The Construction Zone twice a day.

I was going to ask whether you couldn't go around the other way, until
I realised that you seem to be stuck with crossing the highway at some
point no matter what (well, short of teleporting, I suppose. Or
telecommuting).

Is this why you decided to take some time off work now?

> >But the last time I passed that way, the median had been
> >adorned with a great big fence.
>
> Civic decoration?

Well, undecoration. Or antidecoration.

> [1] I saw Carl Sagaan's Cosmos once many many many years ago, but I

> still cannot see or hear or think the word "cosmos" without hearing
> him say it.

Or, presumably, the word "billyuns".

It is loading more messages.