Fairytales

Nightout6

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
>What's the difference between a Northern fairytale and a Southern fairytale?
>In the North they all begin with "Once upon a time..." In the South they
>begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this sh*t..."

No offense taken.....<g> Actually "as a result of recent happenings" I think
that it really fits!

The only way to get rid of a temptation<BR>
is to give in to it!!!! ~ Oscar Wilde<BR>
Lori <BR>
http://members.aol.com/Nightout6/Lorispics.html

Michelle Keith

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
As a result of recent happenings at this newsgroup ...an old joke comes to
mind...please don't take any insult here...none is intended...

~Kat

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
I have to say I totally agree with ya'll on this one!
~Kat

--
"Ta Ta For Now"
************************

Schnozzle

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
What's the difference between a Northern fairytale and a Southern fairytale?
In the North they all begin with "Once upon a time..." In the South they
begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this sh*t..."
Well, I don't believe the north's fairy tale is a polite one though. Everytime
I have been up north I have been treated with much disrespect....it appears to
me many northerners are rude....we have good ol' southern hospitality =)

Michelle Keith

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98

Schnozzle wrote in message
<199808072046...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

As a northerner myself I agree with you...northerners can be extremely rude
and abrupt with people...personally I've always blamed it on the "cold"
weather influence...hehehe; however, I think the joke is intended to poke
fun at the ever proper and stiff-upper-lipped Brahmins who are incredibly
esoteric rarely cutting to the chase. Please remember no insult was
intended.

DannyBoy DanDude

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
Ya'll ain't gonna believe this s... Janis, where are ya? Who is this
Keith Family (Did they escape from the Brady Bunch show) and whut is
this S-O ter ic Brahmins shes talkin about? I'd ask Linda, but she's
incommunicado right now? Brad, you'll have to keep your big ol foot on
her, she's tryin' to get away. DanDude
I just adore conversation, don't you?

jldu...@pop3.concentric.net

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
I have no idea DanDude! I've read it several times and still can't make
sense out of her/his comment. I'll take it for a "cute" joke and leave it
at that. We may have to rescue Linda from Brad. I'll be generous; you
can have the car. I'll hide Brad for "safe" keeping. After all, we
wouldn't want Brad to over heat in TX! Janis

DannyBoy DanDude

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
Hi Lady Brad Baby Janis: I am shure you would hide Brad in a SAFE place.
Like in your 5 story patty cake Tree House. (It's so lonely at the top)
And did I read you correctly "rescue Linda from Brad." I'm having to
secure the restraints on her right now, but every time I pull her away
from Brad she pops back up like a charging rhino. And Janis don't ya'll
think WBP would probably overheat in an igloo. Now you've done it Linda,
you spilled my Big Orange drink. Braddy would you buy me another? Viki I
need help.DanDude struggling vehemently to get out of this little lost
part of the world.

vv...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
In article <6qg1il$8...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>,

"Michelle Keith" <Keith...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> As a northerner myself I agree with you...northerners can be extremely rude
> and abrupt with people...personally I've always blamed it on the "cold"
> weather influence...hehehe; however, I think the joke is intended to poke
> fun at the ever proper and stiff-upper-lipped Brahmins who are incredibly
> esoteric rarely cutting to the chase. Please remember no insult was
> intended.

Hey Janis and Dandude:
I think she means that y'all are much friendlier in the south than those stuck
up Boston types who went to Haavard.
viki
who would have *loved* to go to Harvard, btw>

DannyBoy DanDude

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
Viki the Vamp Goes to Harvard: Now let me see hon, I hardly think the
ever proper stiff upper lipped bra-mahs would allow such a highly
esoteric individual as yourself near Harvard. There may be hope for your
first born if you tell them you may get to spend a week end with Brad
Pitt. DanDude (However, I see that as highly unlikely)

DannyBoy DanDude

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
Oh and by the way I have noticed quite a few of you highly esoteric
(GAWD I love that word, it just sends all these little creeply crawly
things...) Ladies and Gents usng the word YA'LL, ya'll. This is not in
patrician upper class society considered good grammar. None of you
people ever said ya'll until I came here.

beatrice

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
this is true dannyboy, but under your expert knowledge of the language,
we feel we must follow your fine example, son. ;)
beatrice

Viki

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98

Hey DanNude:
Let's just say I enjoyed being called Viki the Vamp!
You seem to have recovered nicely, now when's that ferrari heading
north, dammit!
Viki

Viki

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98

OK, I see that I must act on my own!
I'm firin' up the Jaguar and headin for the border.
Hold on, DanDude, I'm coming!!!

Viki the Vamp

Linda

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
Janis, you're supposed to be my friend. DannyBoy put ME in the trunk and YOU
don't want BRAD to over heat?
Linda

jldu...@pop3.concentric.net

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
>she pops right back...
DanDude -
You've made my day! ROTFL! I envisioned Linda as bouncing all of the
place because you used RUBBER band restraints! Sorry that Linda spilled
your Big Orange drink in the Ferrari. Bad Linda! Bad Linda! And DanDude,
how DID you know I had the exclusive 5-story Patty Cake Tree House - Igloo
style?? Salesman did say his next stop was going to be in TX... Janis

jldu...@pop3.concentric.net

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
Viki, I know DanDude appreciates your, err I mean our help, but you can't
leave All The Pretty Horses in that weather! Think of the animal activists!
Bring them with you. All four of us will head for Mexico -- and stay out of
trouble this time! Janis

Viki wrote:

> DannyBoy DanDude wrote:
> >
> > Hi Lady Brad Baby Janis: I am shure you would hide Brad in a SAFE place.
> > Like in your 5 story patty cake Tree House. (It's so lonely at the top)
> > And did I read you correctly "rescue Linda from Brad." I'm having to
> > secure the restraints on her right now, but every time I pull her away
> > from Brad she pops back up like a charging rhino. And Janis don't ya'll
> > think WBP would probably overheat in an igloo. Now you've done it Linda,
> > you spilled my Big Orange drink. Braddy would you buy me another? Viki I
> > need help.DanDude struggling vehemently to get out of this little lost
> > part of the world.

jldu...@pop3.concentric.net

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
DanDude -
We may have to reconsider our fivesome trip to Mexico. After all,
education is important and maybe we should consider Viki's first born's
future...If Linda has settled down a bit, loosen those restraints, take the
boot gag out of her mount, ask her about sharing her toys for the weekend
w/Viki. THEN Linda's first born's edu. is secure, and we can get on w/our
trip plans? I think this is really fair; my first born is a Jr. in college;
otherwise, it would be a twosome trip to Mexico and I'd send you'll
postcards!!! '-) Janis

Linda

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
I haven't the foggiest idea what she means. I do know it is not about me.
I'm not from the south and I'm pretty sure I'm not an S-O ter ic Brahmin.
Is that good or bad? I think you still have my dictionary. Dust it off and
give it back.
Linda

jldu...@pop3.concentric.net

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
You're right Linda; you are your friend. And we should be concerned about our
friends...I figured Brad had already overheated w/you in CA! But yes, you do
need to stay out of that trunk! Janis

anis, you're supposed to be my friend. DannyBoy put ME in the trunk and YOU

> don't want BRAD to over heat?
> Linda
>
> jldu...@pop3.concentric.net wrote:
>
> > I have no idea DanDude! I've read it several times and still can't make
> > sense out of her/his comment. I'll take it for a "cute" joke and leave it
> > at that. We may have to rescue Linda from Brad. I'll be generous; you
> > can have the car. I'll hide Brad for "safe" keeping. After all, we
> > wouldn't want Brad to over heat in TX! Janis

A.E. McKeighen

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
Schnozzle wrote:
<cut>

> What's the difference between a Northern fairytale and a Southern
>fairytale?
>In the North they all begin with "Once upon a time..." In the South
>they begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this sh*t..."

LOL!!! "mr. foxworthy is that you sir?"

thanks i needed that! :) LOLROTF!!! :)

~heidi :)

Viki

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
jldu...@pop3.concentric.net wrote:

> Viki, I know DanDude appreciates your, err I mean our help, but you can't
> leave All The Pretty Horses in that weather! Think of the animal activists!
> Bring them with you. All four of us will head for Mexico -- and stay out of
> trouble this time! Janis

I like that thought Janis. You, me, Brad and DanDude headin' for the
border. Might have to "rough it" for a while, if you know what I mean.
Sounds good to me.

Viki the Vamp

Viki

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
Wait just a golsh-durned minute Janis. My first born has years and
years to go to worry about Haavard. He can fend for himself for now.
Mama's turn to have a good time.

Viki the Vamp
--I think we all better watch out for Janis. She's trying to weasel us
out of our time with Baby!

Viki

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98

Oh wait, I forgot Linda, didn't I. Well, maybe she's all worn out by
now. Yeah, she won't have the energy to stay up on that horse!
Viki the Vamp
on her way, keep the light on DannyBoy

jldu...@pop3.concentric.net

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
Bring a horse for Linda. She deserve it! My apology for leaving her out of the
count the first time. Getalonglittledoggie, getalong...heya! Janis

jldu...@pop3.concentric.net

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
Well, not exactly weasel out...but I have listened to the tapes many times more
than you have! Don't ask me what that now has to do w/anything. I had just
finished Pretty when I wrote that though. Janis

Marisa

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
ooo! oooo! I did! I did! :D

But do they use the plural "ya'll'es?" As in addressing several
invididuals as a group, such as " Ya'll'es cars are newer than mine."

Marisa, English major way back when & NC gurl.

~Kat

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
I hate to correct you DanDude, but I have always used "ya'll" I know it is
not proper grammar so is ain't and I use it too.
I'm a southerner and I guess it sticks.
~Kat

Marisa wrote:

--

************************

"Ta Ta For Now"
************************

What is a friend?
A single soul dwelling
in two bodies
--Aristotle

***********************

DannyBoy DanDude

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
Kat...I stand corrected yall. Sorry I need to just crawl back in my
little cage now. DanDude

~Kat

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
to DannyBoy DanDude
Now Dandude,
No need for you to crawl back into anywhere, hell you just came back!
~Kat

Alicatcher

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
>What's the difference between a Northern fairytale and a Southern
>>fairytale?
>>In the North they all begin with "Once upon a time..." In the South
>>they begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this sh*t..."

This was great! Hey no offense to Marisa, but if she ever wrote fairytales, I
have no doubt this is exactly how it would begin: "Y'all ain't gonna believe
this sh*t..." I mean, I can HEAR it now.

As for Northerners being more rude than Southerners, yup! Bigtime. I'm from
NY, lived in Texas, Maryland, Massachusetts, and now live in Florida. Hey, no
offense again, but Southerners have WAY too much time on their hands to
chit-chat. I wanna just get where I'm going, ya know? ( I'm about as impatient
as they come.) But if you like warm, friendly people, the South is the place
to be. Hey, I know this North/South topic is probably old by now, but I'm just
back from a vacation in Boston where people were quite rude and I rather
enjoyed it! I know I'm weird weird weird, but the fast pace and the lack of
bullsh*t up North was one great big breath of fresh air for me.

Pam, sick puppy

Steven Hill

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
It's entirely this thread's title's fault that I'm posting this, as it is
off-topic...

Rent the movie "Fairy Tale: A True Story". It's a great movie.

Now back to the Snake Pitt...
-shill

--
Steve W Hill The secret of the Universe: "Bumbles bounce!"
shi...@xnet.com For many Doctor Who fan videos you haven't

Alicatcher

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
>It's entirely this thread's title's fault that I'm posting this, as it is
>off-topic...
>
>Rent the movie "Fairy Tale: A True Story". It's a great movie.
>
>Now back to the Snake Pitt...
>-shill
>
>--
>Steve W Hill

"Ever After" was good too, if you're into Drew Barrymore that is. A feisty,
gutsy Cinderella - I liked that idea!!

Pam

Becky

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
Well I'm sorry I missed this thread when y'all had it
"goin' on." But rather than missing out completely, I'll post a
message on a nearly abandoned thread , thereby reviving it, even
though its off-topic.
About y'all (or yall): there have been raging, flaming
discussions going on in alt.english.usage and sci.lang about whether
Southerners *ever* say "y'all" when its *not* addressed to two or
more. Some regular poster and his buddies think that they do, but that
Souterners won't admit to it. Then 10,000 Southerns post that they
don't do that; and that only non-Southerners(ahem, yankees) living in
the South or TV characters' dialog uses y'all for the singular person.

I don't ever recall hearing y'all used for a singular you
when I've lived South of the Mason-Dixon, or in Maryland. I do recall
plenty of other contractions like y'alls' and even y'alls's(Marisa!)
for possesive. And" y'all're":
" Y'all're going down to Mary's for the day, right?"
Personally, I use the full "you all." I think "you all"
heard faily often around here. (San DIego, LA) The many Spanish
speakers get to have "ustedes." No fair. I think "you all" bleeds
over into non-Southern English like a Spanish shadow.
English needs that pronoun!

Becky

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998 00:21:23 -0500 (CDT), BPCES...@webtv.net
(DannyBoy DanDude) wrote:

>Oh and by the way I have noticed quite a few of you highly esoteric
>(GAWD I love that word, it just sends all these little creeply crawly
>things...) Ladies and Gents usng the word YA'LL, ya'll. This is not in
>patrician upper class society considered good grammar. None of you
>people ever said ya'll until I came here.

Becky
++++++++
Rave on!
============
I don't have all the answers;
what's more,
I'm fairly certain I haven't heard
all of the good questions yet.
===================================
----Thank God the elevator is still broken---

Kimberly H. Morris

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
DannyBoy DanDude wrote:

> Oh and by the way I have noticed quite a few of you highly esoteric
> (GAWD I love that word, it just sends all these little creeply crawly
> things...) Ladies and Gents usng the word YA'LL, ya'll. This is not in
> patrician upper class society considered good grammar. None of you
> people ever said ya'll until I came here.

Hi! We have used ya'll here in Texas pretty much all my life! Who
cares
if it is considered "good grammar". Do you think that you have
exclusive
rights to using the word? Give me a break!

Viki

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
Steven Hill wrote:

> It's entirely this thread's title's fault that I'm posting this, as it is
> off-topic...
>
> Rent the movie "Fairy Tale: A True Story". It's a great movie.
>
> Now back to the Snake Pitt...
> -shill

Thanks for that Snake Pitt reference Steven.
Snakes. Why did it have to be Snakes.

Viki
who's wondering what you really think of us, after all

mgbp

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98

Snakes. Slimy-looking, slithering, threatening creatures lurking in the
dark, sliding on their bellies at the bottom of a damp, dirty pit.
Forked tongues, pink and flickering in and out from between their sharp,
venemous fangs. Why, that's the nicest thing anyone's ever called me ;).

I'm just playing, I think.

MG,
who's not implying this is what he meant... it's just the imagery I get
when I think of a snake pit. Now, a "Snake Pitt" might be something
entirely different....

Viki

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98

Actually, now that I think about it, a snake is quite appropriate.
freudian, perhaps. . . .

hmmmmmmmm, maybe I'll have to reconsider. . .

Vickles

Steven Hill

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
In an earlier alt.fan.brad-pitt episode, mgbp wrote:
: Viki wrote:
:> > Now back to the Snake Pitt...

:> > -shill
:> >
:> Thanks for that Snake Pitt reference Steven.
:> Snakes. Why did it have to be Snakes.
:> Viki
:> who's wondering what you really think of us, after all

: who's not implying this is what he meant... it's just the imagery I get

: when I think of a snake pit. Now, a "Snake Pitt" might be something
: entirely different....

And now, the genesis of an off-hand comment...
I was trying to think of a pun on "Pitt/pit" and it came to mind.
The next thing I thought of was the Cure song "The Snakepit".
Then the movie, which I don't know anything about.
Honestly, it was just a lame pun...
Cheers
:) -shill

Viki

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98

That's ok Steve, I got my little freudian thrill out of it anyway. Not
too bad for a lame pun. :)
Viki

Linda

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98

> DannyBoy DanDude wrote:
>
> > Oh and by the way I have noticed quite a few of you highly esoteric
> > (GAWD I love that word, it just sends all these little creeply crawly
> > things...) Ladies and Gents usng the word YA'LL, ya'll. This is not in
> > patrician upper class society considered good grammar. None of you
> > people ever said ya'll until I came here.

> Kimberly H. Morris wrote:
> Hi! We have used ya'll here in Texas pretty much all my life! Who
> cares
> if it is considered "good grammar".

It was a joke. What is your fucking problem?

> Do you think that you have
> exclusive
> rights to using the word? Give me a break!

I gave him the rights. Don't like it? Bite me

Linda

Nightout6

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
Linda <defending DanDude>..........

Linda.........hey.......... I think it's about time for a Ladies night
out....hehehe. Would you care for a glass of wine? A beer?

I can feel the tension.......work with me, work with me!

However, DanDude is a wonderful cause!!! So......I'll stick up for
you......sticking up for DanDude!

Yeah! Linda gave him the right! So, Bite her<g>.

The only way to get rid of a temptation<BR>
is to give in to it!!!! ~ Oscar Wilde<BR>
Lori <BR>
http://members.aol.com/Nightout6/Lorispics.html

Linda

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98
Lori, give me a beer and put it in a dirty glass. Tuff guys always said that in
those old cowboy movies. You made me laugh so hard I woke my kids.
Linda