OV vs DC

Marc Wickens

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
I kind of like the voice-over, it explains a lot, the DC ending is
better of course!

--
Regards;
Marc Wickens

Battle Droid 9-20 -The artist that hates Matt Arnold-

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
nntp{nospam}@mwic.co.uk (Marc Wickens) reached Jupiter, then took a good,
long look at the monolith and transmitted the following:

>I kind of like the voice-over, it explains a lot, the DC ending is
>better of course!
>
>--
>Regards;
>Marc Wickens

That's whY I think it'd be awesome if the new DVD had a feature where you
could turn on/off the voice overs OR the "happy" ending. So you could have
no VOs but "happy" ending, or . . .

--
Battle Droid 9-20 . . . The one with KIDDO on his back!
Remove the REVOME from Starc...@REMOVEyahoo.com to reply.

Quote of the moment:
Battle Droid 9-20 (Starc...@Yahoo.com) wrote:

YHBT, you top posting bastard. And you, Matt Arnold, how many times will
you be trolled by
Valueless? Plonk him like everyone else has.

Matt Arnold (ma...@kewlie.net) replied:
What are you saying?

Marc Wickens

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
It was 8 Aug 2000 00:43:58 GMT when Battle Droid 9-20 -The artist that
hates Matt Arnold- posted "Re: OV vs DC"
(<8mnl4e$ihg$2...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>), the exact words were:

>That's whY I think it'd be awesome if the new DVD had a feature where you
>could turn on/off the voice overs OR the "happy" ending. So you could have
>no VOs but "happy" ending, or . . .
>
>--

Totaly amazing! I +NEED+ a DVD player.

The log

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
>That's whY I think it'd be awesome if the new DVD had a feature where you
>could turn on/off the voice overs OR the "happy" ending. So you could have
>no VOs but "happy" ending, or . . .

I totally disagree. Blade Runner is a film, that gives you so much control over
what you see it practically makes it a computer game. I think it would be best
if it just had the Director's Cut and the Original as seperate things, that'd
be enough to float my boat.

The log

http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/evilontheweb
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/bladerunner

"Life is great. Without it, you'd be dead"

W A Mccabe

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
Here's a question. How many versions are there? I know there's at least 3
(the original advance cut, the studio recut (Usually referred to here as the
OV), and the "Director's Cut") but were there any others. I seem to remember
the original run here had something closer to the advance cut than the OV
and there were complaints from critics about what they'd done with it either
at a second screening or on the original video release.

The log <row...@aol.com> wrote in message

---

Zinema

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
"W A Mccabe" <A
HREF="mailto:w...@wamccabe.freeserve.co.uk">w...@wamccabe.freeserve.co.uk</A>
wrote:

>Here's a question. How many versions are there? I know there's at least 3
>(the original advance cut, the studio recut (Usually referred to here as the
>OV), and the "Director's Cut") but were there any others. I seem to remember
>the original run here had something closer to the advance cut than the OV
>and there were complaints from critics about what they'd done with it either
>at a second screening or on the original video release.

Okay everyone...all together now...

READ FUTURE NOIR.

:-)

Remove "nospam" to respond. But you knew that.

Lukas Mariman

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00

"Zinema" <zin...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

> "W A Mccabe" <A

HREF="mailto:w...@wamccabe.freeserve.co.uk">w...@wamccabe.freeserve.co.uk</A>
> wrote:
>
> >Here's a question. How many versions are there? I know there's at least 3
> >(the original advance cut, the studio recut (Usually referred to here as
the
> >OV), and the "Director's Cut") but were there any others. I seem to
remember
> >the original run here had something closer to the advance cut than the OV
> >and there were complaints from critics about what they'd done with it
either
> >at a second screening or on the original video release.
>
> Okay everyone...all together now...
>
> READ FUTURE NOIR.
>
> :-)

Or... Read my new FAQ! (hint hint, wink wink) :-)

--
Lukas Mariman
-------------------

MrBlondeSK

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00

>Okay everyone...all together now...
>
>READ FUTURE NOIR.
>
>:-)

Oh, come now.. it can be summed up very simply:

In the OV there's the big VO which isn't in the DC because many consider the VO
in the OV a bunch of BS. Of course in the OV (with the VO) and the DC the
characters still have the same MO and they'd probably keep this MO in any other
version besides the DC and the OV (with the VO).

If Lukas could please clarify this in the FAQ we can get this OV (with VO) and
DC BS sorted out ASAP!

-Steve Klein
Bullet Bob's Runner Surplus
www.bulletbobs.com

jacaranda

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
MrBlondeSK wrote:

> >Okay everyone...all together now...
> >
> >READ FUTURE NOIR.
> >
> >:-)
>
> Oh, come now.. it can be summed up very simply:
>
> In the OV there's the big VO which isn't in the DC because many consider the VO
> in the OV a bunch of BS. Of course in the OV (with the VO) and the DC the
> characters still have the same MO and they'd probably keep this MO in any other
> version besides the DC and the OV (with the VO).
>
> If Lukas could please clarify this in the FAQ we can get this OV (with VO) and
> DC BS sorted out ASAP!

OK?

jacaranda at flux.clara.co.uk

Lukas Mariman

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00

"MrBlondeSK" <mrblo...@aol.com> wrote in message

An excellent suggestion! I'll work on that one.

But I must admit you kinda lost me there in the acronym storm... what was
"MO" again?

MrBlondeSK

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
>An excellent suggestion! I'll work on that one.
>
>But I must admit you kinda lost me there in the acronym storm... what was
>"MO" again?

I'm going to butcher this spelling.. but MO is "Modus Operandi" which basically
means "Motivation" or "Target"... like Roy Batty's MO was to get more life
(father).

We could argue that PKD and RS had different MOs regarding BR. RS's MO in the
DC was to make RD a Replicant and therefore go against what PKD set forth in
the original DADoES. So consider BR (DC but not OV [with VO]) not one with
DADoES but rather two beautiful masterworks all their own.

Am I clear with everyone?

Zinema

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
<A HREF="mailto:mrblo...@aol.com ">mrblo...@aol.com </A> (MrBlondeSK)
wrote:

>Oh, come now.. it can be summed up very simply:
>
>In the OV there's the big VO which isn't in the DC because many consider the
VO
>in the OV a bunch of BS. Of course in the OV (with the VO) and the DC the
>characters still have the same MO and they'd probably keep this MO in any
other
>version besides the DC and the OV (with the VO).

Huh?

I think that what the original poster wants to know is:

1) U.S. Theatrical Cut (with VO and happy ending)
2) International Cut (with VO, happy ending and a few seconds of extra
violence)
3) 1992 Director's Cut (no VO, no happy ending, with unicorn scene)
4) Workprint (aka Nuart Cut, with several different or alternate shots and
lines of dialogue)

...and the few other minor variants that Paul Sammon discusses in Future Noir.
Before posting, a new BR fan should take it upon themselves to read the FAQ.
But before even that, they should absolutely, without fail, read Future Noir.

Lukas Mariman

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00

"MrBlondeSK" <mrblo...@aol.com> wrote in message

Uhm... OK. I have no complaints. Thanks for explaining. :)

Netrunner

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00

>I'm going to butcher this spelling.. but MO is "Modus Operandi" which basically
>means "Motivation" or "Target"... like Roy Batty's MO was to get more life
>(father).

"modus operandi" - modern Latin, meaning "mode of operating". Either
referring to "the way in which something operates" or "the way in
which a person sets about a task". Often used in criminology to
describe the characteristic traits perpetrated by a particular
criminal in the execution of a series of crimes.

>We could argue that PKD and RS had different MOs regarding BR. RS's MO in the
>DC was to make RD a Replicant and therefore go against what PKD set forth in
>the original DADoES. So consider BR (DC but not OV [with VO]) not one with
>DADoES but rather two beautiful masterworks all their own.

PMFJI - AYSOS? AWGTHTGTTSA? (IIIO) FWIW, AFAIK, (and IIRC), the US
BR OV was a little shorter than the non-US BR OV, (which I have on PAL
VHS). Of course, both contain the VO. But I think the DC BR, (no
OV), (I have on NTSC DVD), was the same everywhere. Then there is the
WP. And of course rumours and hearsay about various other versions
that may or may not have actually been shown in cinemas, (but DBEYR).

IMNSHO, the BR DC is a little better than the BR OV, but both are
better than DADoES, but only because they are A1 - not to say DADoES
isn't pretty good too! (BWDIK? - just my POV) OTOH, I can't forget
the VO when I watch the DC. OBTW, the BR SE may be better than all of
them, IYKWIM. (Hoping it is released ASAFP! - depends on TPTB.)

LLTA.

TTFN. (And FYI, if you don't like what I've said, then BMOTA, IOW
IDGAF.)

GTG, HAK,
ROTFLMAO, Netrunner, (NIFOC?)
NRN, (WEG).

--
"The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning
to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the