Hiring Freeze

Mike Sandberg

Nov 16, 1993, 12:17:41 PM11/16/93
I heard a rumor the other day that Bill has initiated a hiring freeze
at Mircosoft apparently getting ready for the FTC to break up the
company. Any comments?

Michael
--
Michael Sandberg | voice 602.861.7608
First Data Resources/Anasazi, Inc. | fax 602.861.7687

Andy - Patrizio

Nov 16, 1993, 9:26:26 PM11/16/93
sand...@anasazi.com (Mike Sandberg) writes:

>I heard a rumor the other day that Bill has initiated a hiring freeze
>at Mircosoft apparently getting ready for the FTC to break up the
>company. Any comments?

Man, how rumors go from legit to ludicrous.

Microsoft is planning a small layoff of the unproductive employees because
it's projecting a slowdown in sales. It's a lot harder to double the size
of a million dollar company than a $3 billion company (especially one that's
viewed so negatively. I suspect this has a lot to do with it).

So, Microsoft is just reducing its staff in anticipation. Unlike other
companies, which let people go based on last hired first fired, Microsoft
decides who goes by how good a job they're doing, which really is how it
should be done. I've seen too many companies where unless space wasters
were occupying office space and collecting a huge paychecks because they
were with the company for ten years.
--
Andy Patrizio | Politicians are like diapers. Both should be changed
Stamford, CT | regularly because they get full of crap and start

Thayne Forbes

Nov 17, 1993, 9:24:51 AM11/17/93
Andy - Patrizio (a...@shell.portal.com) wrote:
: sand...@anasazi.com (Mike Sandberg) writes:

: >I heard a rumor the other day that Bill has initiated a hiring freeze
: >at Mircosoft apparently getting ready for the FTC to break up the
: >company. Any comments?

: Microsoft is planning a small layoff of the unproductive employees because

: it's projecting a slowdown in sales. It's a lot harder to double the size
: of a million dollar company than a $3 billion company

Actually, the opposite is true, but I think that is what you meant.
You obviously are incapable of re-reading your post for accuracy.

: should be done. I've seen too many companies where unless space wasters
^^^^^^(useless)
: were occupying office space and collecting a huge paychecks because they

: were with the company for ten years.

: Andy Patrizio | Politicians are like diapers. Both should be changed

: Stamford, CT | regularly because they get full of crap and start
: a...@shell.portal.com | to stink.

This is the really stupid part. Get the quote right. It is
"Politicians are like diapers. Both should be changed regularly, and
for the same reason."
It is an old quote, which loses its humor when you explain the joke.
--
Thayne Forbes tha...@unislc.slc.unisys.com
Unisys Unix Support Engineering, Salt Lake City.

rob-v...@cornell.edu

Nov 17, 1993, 4:31:33 PM11/17/93
From Andy Patrizio:

> So, Microsoft is just reducing its staff in anticipation. Unlike other
> companies, which let people go based on last hired first fired, Microsoft
> decides who goes by how good a job they're doing, which really is how it
> should be done. I've seen too many companies where unless space wasters
> were occupying office space and collecting a huge paychecks because they
> were with the company for ten years.

Ah, what a wonderful way to scare those 80-hour work-weeks out of your
employees. While I think "years with the company" isn't a great way
to decide who stays, the typical measures of productivity usually aren't
either. Usually it's (s)he-who-lives-in-their-office-the-most wins.

Anyone know how Microsoft evaluates the productivity of its employees?
Is there any way to get and keep a job at MS without working ridiculous
amounts of time?

Seriously, this isn't flame-bait nor criticism. I'm curious.

Rob V.

Jonathan Kagle

Nov 22, 1993, 9:15:27 PM11/22/93
In article <1993Nov16.1...@anasazi.com> sand...@anasazi.com (Mike Sandberg) writes:
>I heard a rumor the other day that Bill has initiated a hiring freeze
>at Mircosoft apparently getting ready for the FTC to break up the
>company. Any comments?

I'm not in human resources, but I don't think this is true. New job openings
are still being posted and positions are continuing to be filled. It may be
that certain groups have a temporary freeze, but it certainly isn't company-
wide.

As for an impending breakup, I personally doubt the DOJ investigation (the FTC
probe was abandoned months ago) will decide anything anytime soon. Remember
that the 1970's IBM suit lasted a decade, and I think the 4-year MS/Apple UI
suit isn't even done (I remember reading in InfoWorld that Apple is asking for
a retrial). And even if the ruling is negative, I'm sure that MS will appeal.

-Jonathan

Major disclaimer: the above views are NOT those of Microsoft. I am not speaking
for Microsoft. I have no inside information about Microsoft's legal department.

Andy - Patrizio

Nov 24, 1993, 11:47:40 PM11/24/93
tha...@unislc.slc.unisys.com (Thayne Forbes) writes:

>This is the really stupid part. Get the quote right. It is
>"Politicians are like diapers. Both should be changed regularly, and
>for the same reason."
>It is an old quote, which loses its humor when you explain the joke.
>--
>Thayne Forbes tha...@unislc.slc.unisys.com
>Unisys Unix Support Engineering, Salt Lake City.
>Phone: (801) 594-4448 Fax: (801) 594-3827

My, aren't we in a flame-throwing mood?