bubblegum ng history

Takanohana

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
just curious but this mighty yokozuna must know.

when did the bubblegum ng begin and by whom? who were the very first
posters?

what were the highlights in terms of great ideas, great debates, and
great breaking news.

who were the greatest idiots and trolls?

what were the longest threads?

any original member of the ng still around?

and which great names departed forever...
--
Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.
http://www.talkway.com

Takanohana

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99

Ben Cantrick

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
In article <nwxt2.6828$QU6.50...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,

Takanohana <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>when did the bubblegum ng begin and by whom? who were the very first
>posters?

Long story. Back in 1993 or 1994 I was in College and just starting to
discover this wonderful toy we call the Internet. I had a freenet account
at a place called Nyx (still around - try www.nyx.net) and used the
vast (relative to my level of experience) stores of information there
to learn all about Usenet.

So it was one fall evening when I was typing away that I happened
upon the secret of creating newsgroups. I had been trying to figure it
out for a long time. Just to test if my understanding was right,
and because I thought it would be amusing, I created a newsgroup
called alt.fan.priss-and-the-replicants. Needless to say, people
weren't too keen on some clumsy-fingered brat making a newsgroup
without going through the standard call for votes (CFV) and request
for discussion (RFD). (Not to mention, the "priss-and-the-replicants"
portion of the name apparently broke several VMS systems' news feeds
because it was a longer filename than they could handle. ;D)

Anyway, the group was shot down and rmgroup'd PDQ. But people
noticed. Ken Arromdee and a bunch of other r.a.a (it was still
r.a.a back then) people went through the RFD and CFV and made
alt.fan.bgcrisis. And here we are...

>what were the highlights in terms of great ideas, great debates, and
>great breaking news.

Well, I guess the highlights were probably hearing that the BGC RPG
was coming out, and also hearing about the new BGC series. Unagi's
BGC Nukem patches have to rate up there too.

>who were the greatest idiots and trolls?

Trolling and idiocy do not make one great. But as for trollers and
idiots currently, there's you. There have been others before, of course.
There was once this WebTV guy who posted a "DUH, WHERE AM I?" (response:
"You're in HELL!!") message to this newsgroup a ways back.

>what were the longest threads?

You mean "_Which_ is the longest thread." Innit obvious?
"Sylia's a boomer! No she's not! Yes she is! Is so! Is not!"

>any original member of the ng still around?

I'm still here. I don't remember who any other original people were.
Really, the group has always been kind of slow. I don't mind it that way.
FWIW, though, I think there are people on the group right now who have
been around long enough and contributed enough that I, at least, consider
them on par with anyone who just happened to be here by luck when the group
started.

>and which great names departed forever...

Carmen Spray, the otaqueen, the person I learned just about everything
interesting I know about BGC from. She's a (Sailor) Moonie now, god rest
her soul. (Or maybe she's gone on to Utena or whatever the "greatest
anime ever in the world - this week" flavor of the week is...)

I remember hassling RJW in 1994 at Anime America with her and her
boyfriend. We tried to make him understand how bad a pre-release copy of
the BGC dub I saw was. Heh. We even wrote down a list of all the things
that were wrong with it and gave it to him. For all the good it did. Hrmph.

-Ben
--
Ben Cantrick (mac...@dim.com) | Yes, the BGC dubs still suck.
BGC Nukem: http://www.dim.com/~mackys/bgcnukem.html

wakanohana

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
On 2 Feb 1999 09:24:38 -0700 mac...@dim.com (Ben Cantrick) wrote:
> In article <nwxt2.6828$QU6.50...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
> Takanohana <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >when did the bubblegum ng begin and by whom? who were the very first
> >posters?
>
> Long story. Back in 1993 or 1994 I was in College and just starting to
> discover this wonderful toy we call the Internet. I had a freenet account
> at a place called Nyx (still around - try www.nyx.net) and used the
> vast (relative to my level of experience) stores of information there
> to learn all about Usenet.
>
> So it was one fall evening when I was typing away that I happened
> upon the secret of creating newsgroups. I had been trying to figure it
> out for a long time. Just to test if my understanding was right,
> and because I thought it would be amusing, I created a newsgroup
> called alt.fan.priss-and-the-replicants. Needless to say, people
> weren't too keen on some clumsy-fingered brat making a newsgroup
> without going through the standard call for votes (CFV) and request
> for discussion (RFD). (Not to mention, the "priss-and-the-replicants"
> portion of the name apparently broke several VMS systems' news feeds
> because it was a longer filename than they could handle. ;D)
>
> Anyway, the group was shot down and rmgroup'd PDQ. But people
> noticed. Ken Arromdee and a bunch of other r.a.a (it was still
> r.a.a back then) people went through the RFD and CFV and made
> alt.fan.bgcrisis. And here we are...

hmm, this kinda makes me feel small.

> >what were the highlights in terms of great ideas, great debates, and
> >great breaking news.
>
> Well, I guess the highlights were probably hearing that the BGC RPG
> was coming out, and also hearing about the new BGC series. Unagi's
> BGC Nukem patches have to rate up there too.
>
> >who were the greatest idiots and trolls?
>
> Trolling and idiocy do not make one great.

no, it doesn't. i meant the worst trolls.

> But as for trollers and
> idiots currently, there's you.

alas, i can't take sole credit for the reputation.

> You mean "_Which_ is the longest thread." Innit obvious?
> "Sylia's a boomer! No she's not! Yes she is! Is so! Is not!"
>
> >any original member of the ng still around?
>
> I'm still here. I don't remember who any other original people were.
> Really, the group has always been kind of slow. I don't mind it that way.
> FWIW, though, I think there are people on the group right now who have
> been around long enough and contributed enough that I, at least, consider
> them on par with anyone who just happened to be here by luck when the group
> started.
>
> >and which great names departed forever...
>
> Carmen Spray, the otaqueen, the person I learned just about everything
> interesting I know about BGC from. She's a (Sailor) Moonie now, god rest
> her soul. (Or maybe she's gone on to Utena or whatever the "greatest
> anime ever in the world - this week" flavor of the week is...)

what are some of carmen's greatest thoughts? and how can someone so
perceptive fall for sailormoonism?

> I remember hassling RJW in 1994 at Anime America with her and her
> boyfriend. We tried to make him understand how bad a pre-release copy of
> the BGC dub I saw was. Heh. We even wrote down a list of all the things
> that were wrong with it and gave it to him. For all the good it did. Hrmph.
>

> -Ben

yeah, the dubs suck... priss sounds like some cheap hooker and leon
sounds like he oughta be a sportscaster. playfulness went out the
window. and the dubs on the songs... ugh.

Ben Cantrick

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
In article <44Ht2.6968$QU6.50...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,

wakanohana <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>what are some of carmen's greatest thoughts?

She wrote the DYN list. It's pretty cool, grab a copy. It's at Ronin.
She also wrote a really weird fanfic called Tokyo Epoch where Priss gets
pregnant and has a kid (!) and several other extremely unexpected things
happen. It's not great writing, technically, but it's an interesting story.
It's also at ronin.net.

>and how can someone so perceptive fall for sailormoonism?

You might as well ask me why the sky is blue...

-Ben
--
Ben Cantrick (mac...@dim.com) | Yes, the BGC dubs still suck.
BGC Nukem: http://www.dim.com/~mackys/bgcnukem.html
The Spamdogs: http://www.dim.com/~mackys/spamdogs

Mobius strip for sale, see other side.

Ken Arromdee

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
In article <44Ht2.6968$QU6.50...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
wakanohana <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyway, the group was shot down and rmgroup'd PDQ. But people
>> noticed. Ken Arromdee and a bunch of other r.a.a (it was still
>> r.a.a back then) people went through the RFD and CFV and made
>> alt.fan.bgcrisis. And here we are...
>hmm, this kinda makes me feel small.

Actually, as an alt group, there is no RFD or CFV. You just post about it
in alt.config asking for comments, you ignore most of the comments, and then
you create the group. (Yes, it was done by me. I also created the Sailor
Moon group.)

There were two problems with the Priss and the Replicants name: First, it's
needlessly obscure to outsiders, and second, periods in a group name aren't
for separating words. They're for subgroups, which means that a group named
"alt.fan.priss.and.the.replicants" wouldn't make sense--there isn't a special
category of Priss fans named the "and" category.
--
Ken Arromdee |They said it was *daft* to build a space
arro...@inetnow.net |station in a swamp, but I showed them! It

ma...@atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
In article <7978s6$4...@flatland.dimensional.com>,

mac...@dim.com (Ben Cantrick) wrote:
> Needless to say, people
> weren't too keen on some clumsy-fingered brat making a newsgroup
> without going through the standard call for votes (CFV) and request
> for discussion (RFD).

But Ben, a CFV isn't required for the "alt" branch, no?
I seem to remember that a proposal in alt.config was
enough as long as it wasn't shot down (say, within a
couple of weeks). Propagation, of course, is another
matter altogether...

Ben Cantrick

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
In article <797vop$ig$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

<ma...@atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>In article <7978s6$4...@flatland.dimensional.com>,
> mac...@dim.com (Ben Cantrick) wrote:
>> Needless to say, people
>> weren't too keen on some clumsy-fingered brat making a newsgroup
>> without going through the standard call for votes (CFV) and request
>> for discussion (RFD).
>
>But Ben, a CFV isn't required for the "alt" branch, no?
>I seem to remember that a proposal in alt.config was
>enough as long as it wasn't shot down (say, within a
>couple of weeks). Propagation, of course, is another
>matter altogether...

Okay, "...without going through the standard RFD." then. Actually, I
don't think people cared much about that, either. Mostly the comments I
received and read about it were that the newsgroup name was just horribly
misformed and would never fly in that form. But if I used this <blah> form
of the newsgroup name, it would go easy.

-Ben
--
Ben Cantrick (mac...@dim.com) | Yes, the BGC dubs still suck.
BGC Nukem: http://www.dim.com/~mackys/bgcnukem.html
The Spamdogs: http://www.dim.com/~mackys/spamdogs

"HELO. My $name is sendmail.cf. Prepare to vi." -Peter Guttman

Mystic Knight

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99

Ben Cantrick wrote in message <797nfb$9...@flatland.dimensional.com>...

>In article <44Ht2.6968$QU6.50...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
>wakanohana <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>what are some of carmen's greatest thoughts?
>
> She wrote the DYN list. It's pretty cool, grab a copy. It's at Ronin.
>She also wrote a really weird fanfic called Tokyo Epoch where Priss gets
>pregnant and has a kid (!) and several other extremely unexpected things
>happen. It's not great writing, technically, but it's an interesting story.
>It's also at ronin.net.

I knew I seen her name somewhere. It was the DYK.
I also remember seening the Priss and Replicants ng a few years ago, but
this was already around and so it was dead.

>>and how can someone so perceptive fall for sailormoonism?
>
> You might as well ask me why the sky is blue...

I think Sailor Moon has some type of brain washing think, like Speed Racer
and Dragon Ball has. Although I like Dragon Ball better then Sailor Moon.

Mystic Knight

Ben Cantrick

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
In article <36b7948...@news.wwa.com>, Jeanne Hedge <jhe...@wwa.com> wrote:

>On 2 Feb 1999 13:33:47 -0700, mac...@dim.com (Ben Cantrick) wrote:
>
>>In article <44Ht2.6968$QU6.50...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
>>wakanohana <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>what are some of carmen's greatest thoughts?
>>
>> She wrote the DYN list. It's pretty cool, grab a copy. It's at Ronin.
>>She also wrote a really weird fanfic called Tokyo Epoch where Priss gets
>>pregnant and has a kid (!) and several other extremely unexpected things
>>happen. It's not great writing, technically, but it's an interesting story.
>>It's also at ronin.net.
>
>Huh? Tokyo Epoch is the one that opens with an extrememly trashed
>Linna thinking Priss is dead (this while Mackie is rushing her and
>Nene to the hospital), Sylia's trying to get back to Tokyo from
>Germany in a hurry (but her plane is delayed), the KS get into some
>weird gestalt-mind, and Priss is really a prisoner in the Tower, and
>we find out that she's not what she seems to be
>
>Unless ronin.net has more of this story than I've got (from the raac
>archive)

That's the one. I'm not sure how much is in the r.a.a.c. archives,
but I have all... I think it's 4... parts, plus an author's note on the
FTP server @ronin.

-Ben
--
Ben Cantrick (mac...@dim.com) | Yes, the BGC dubs still suck.
BGC Nukem: http://www.dim.com/~mackys/bgcnukem.html
The Spamdogs: http://www.dim.com/~mackys/spamdogs

"Wake UP, you twit, I need to know the fate of my BAGELS!" -Robin

Sarah Davis

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99

Jeanne Hedge wrote in message <36b7948...@news.wwa.com>...

>Huh? Tokyo Epoch is the one that opens with an extrememly trashed
>Linna thinking Priss is dead (this while Mackie is rushing her and
>Nene to the hospital), Sylia's trying to get back to Tokyo from
>Germany in a hurry (but her plane is delayed), the KS get into some
>weird gestalt-mind, and Priss is really a prisoner in the Tower, and
>we find out that she's not what she seems to be

Aren't *all* the Knight Sabers Boomers in that one? I know Priss was
supposed to be, and Sylia was (Mackie was her "subordinate unit"), and there
were indications that Linna was, too... And I think Mason was supposed to
have been a Boomer from the start. I didn't understand most of the story. It
was interesting, but it was so strange that I never quite got into it.

>Unless ronin.net has more of this story than I've got (from the raac
>archive)
>

>Jeanne Hedge
>http://jhedge.simplenet.com
>
>CompuServe Anime/Manga Forum information:
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jhedge/index.htm

Sarah

Bii

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
Unagi wrote:

> In article <7978s6$4...@flatland.dimensional.com>, mac...@dim.com (Ben Cantrick) wrote:
>
> > Well, I guess the highlights were probably hearing that the BGC RPG
> >was coming out, and also hearing about the new BGC series. Unagi's
> >BGC Nukem patches have to rate up there too.
>
> (Sniff... sniff) It brings tears to my eyes to hear that my work can be
> considered a highlight of the BGC newsgroup. I'm pleased to know that my 15
> minutes of fame was expressed in anime. But now that I think about it,
> another highlight you didn't mention was the entire DYO incident. Sigh, if
> only I could be as famous as that Overstreet guy...

Famous ... infamous ... whatever.

Bii (who was it that said "there's no such thing as bad press"?)
.- reply-to: yonjuni/at/yahoo/dot/com -------------------------.
| Join ACNE: Associated Classic Nene Enthusiasts -- Because |
| The One True Kawaii Russian Hacker Policewoman Is A Redhead |
'-------------------------- (And BGC's incarnation of Washuu) -'

Jeanne Hedge

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
On 2 Feb 1999 09:24:38 -0700, mac...@dim.com (Ben Cantrick) wrote:

>In article <nwxt2.6828$QU6.50...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
>Takanohana <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>and which great names departed forever...
>
> Carmen Spray, the otaqueen, the person I learned just about everything
>interesting I know about BGC from. She's a (Sailor) Moonie now, god rest
>her soul. (Or maybe she's gone on to Utena or whatever the "greatest
>anime ever in the world - this week" flavor of the week is...)

Carmen never did get that fic of hers ("Tokyo Epoch: Prisoner of War")
into the shape she wanted it in, did she? I know she was rather
unhappy with what was eventually posted, and though she once told me
that there was supposed to be more, she never did continue with the
idea.

> I remember hassling RJW in 1994 at Anime America with her and her
>boyfriend. We tried to make him understand how bad a pre-release copy of
>the BGC dub I saw was. Heh. We even wrote down a list of all the things
>that were wrong with it and gave it to him. For all the good it did. Hrmph.

Robert could have saved himself a lot of grief if only he'd listened
at the time. Seems like lessons were learned though - Spirit of Wonder
and You're Under Arrest were terrific technical dubs.

Jeanne Hedge

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
On 2 Feb 1999 13:33:47 -0700, mac...@dim.com (Ben Cantrick) wrote:

>In article <44Ht2.6968$QU6.50...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
>wakanohana <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>what are some of carmen's greatest thoughts?
>
> She wrote the DYN list. It's pretty cool, grab a copy. It's at Ronin.
>She also wrote a really weird fanfic called Tokyo Epoch where Priss gets
>pregnant and has a kid (!) and several other extremely unexpected things
>happen. It's not great writing, technically, but it's an interesting story.
>It's also at ronin.net.

Huh? Tokyo Epoch is the one that opens with an extrememly trashed

Linna thinking Priss is dead (this while Mackie is rushing her and
Nene to the hospital), Sylia's trying to get back to Tokyo from
Germany in a hurry (but her plane is delayed), the KS get into some
weird gestalt-mind, and Priss is really a prisoner in the Tower, and
we find out that she's not what she seems to be

Unless ronin.net has more of this story than I've got (from the raac
archive)

Jeanne Hedge

Innpchan

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99

"Takanohana" <gaza...@hotmail.com> writes:

>who were the greatest idiots and trolls?

1. Walk to a mirror...

thepig

***
Okay, how many folks watching the Super Bowl last nite saw the end zone open up
and expected an EVA to come out?
***
C.J. Scott - the pig

Chris Davies

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
Mystic Knight wrote:
: Cantrick wrote:
: >some other schmuck wrote:
: >
: >>and how can someone so perceptive fall for sailormoonism?

: >
: > You might as well ask me why the sky is blue...
: >
: I think Sailor Moon has some type of brain washing think

Yes, we do. We call it "not overindulging in testosterone".

Chris Davies, Advocate for Darkness, Part-Time Champion of Light.
"It is a sad thing when the designation one has known most of one's
existence becomes nothing more than a toll of doom." -- Seven of Nine,
"Just Between Species", by Gina L. Dartt
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/banks/277/index.html

Unagi

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
In article <7978s6$4...@flatland.dimensional.com>, mac...@dim.com (Ben Cantrick) wrote:

> Well, I guess the highlights were probably hearing that the BGC RPG
>was coming out, and also hearing about the new BGC series. Unagi's
>BGC Nukem patches have to rate up there too.

(Sniff... sniff) It brings tears to my eyes to hear that my work can be
considered a highlight of the BGC newsgroup. I'm pleased to know that my 15
minutes of fame was expressed in anime. But now that I think about it,
another highlight you didn't mention was the entire DYO incident. Sigh, if
only I could be as famous as that Overstreet guy...

Konya Wa Hurricane, Baby!
Unagi (ekst...@netprime.com)
To reply, change "netprime" to "primenet"

kaio

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
On 03 Feb 1999 01:16:29 GMT innp...@aol.comnospam (Innpchan) wrote:

> In article <nwxt2.6828$QU6.50...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
> "Takanohana" <gaza...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> >who were the greatest idiots and trolls?
> >

> 1. Walk to a mirror...

you mean in the entire 6 years of its existence, yours truly is the
greatest idiot troll? well, at least i accomplished something in
life, dubious as it may be.

> thepig
>
> ***
> Okay, how many folks watching the Super Bowl last nite saw the end zone open up
> and expected an EVA to come out?
> ***
> C.J. Scott - the pig

Nikkou

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
In article <g9Tt2.7289$QU6.51...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
"kaio" <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>how do i get to ronin.net?

Swim?
It helps if you have a porpoise.

-Nikkou. ;)

--
Nikkou <nik...@anipike.com>
"...And Pigs can Fly! Tonde Buurin!"

Jeanne Hedge

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99
On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 21:58:43 -0800, "Sarah Davis"
<sili...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Jeanne Hedge wrote in message <36b7948...@news.wwa.com>...

>>Huh? Tokyo Epoch is the one that opens with an extrememly trashed
>>Linna thinking Priss is dead (this while Mackie is rushing her and
>>Nene to the hospital), Sylia's trying to get back to Tokyo from
>>Germany in a hurry (but her plane is delayed), the KS get into some
>>weird gestalt-mind, and Priss is really a prisoner in the Tower, and
>>we find out that she's not what she seems to be
>

>Aren't *all* the Knight Sabers Boomers in that one? I know Priss was
>supposed to be, and Sylia was (Mackie was her "subordinate unit"), and there
>were indications that Linna was, too... And I think Mason was supposed to
>have been a Boomer from the start. I didn't understand most of the story. It
>was interesting, but it was so strange that I never quite got into it.

huh? I don't remember any of that. The only one I got as being a
boomer in that one was Priss, and Sylia was her creator (the original
Priss being a childhood friend of Sylia's)

Sarah Davis

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99

Jeanne Hedge wrote in message <36b8dde...@news.wwa.com>...

>On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 21:58:43 -0800, "Sarah Davis"
><sili...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Aren't *all* the Knight Sabers Boomers in that one? I know Priss was
>>supposed to be, and Sylia was (Mackie was her "subordinate unit"), and
there
>>were indications that Linna was, too... And I think Mason was supposed to
>>have been a Boomer from the start. I didn't understand most of the story.
It
>>was interesting, but it was so strange that I never quite got into it.
>
>huh? I don't remember any of that. The only one I got as being a
>boomer in that one was Priss, and Sylia was her creator (the original
>Priss being a childhood friend of Sylia's)

What I got was that practically everyone was a Boomer and Mackie was Sylia's
"subordinate unit," or so the memory sequence (rehash of data unit imagery)
implied. Mason was also sending Sylia psychic messages back during their
first fight (according to this fanfiction). I could have everything wrong,
though; it didn't make a lot of sense. I think there are six parts to the
story. The stuff I'm referring to may have come after you read it, or else I
just got so messed up reading it that I've got all the information wrong.

>Jeanne Hedge
>http://jhedge.simplenet.com
>
>CompuServe Anime/Manga Forum information:
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jhedge/index.htm

Sarah Davis

Nikkou

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
In article <79a018$2...@flatland.dimensional.com>,
mac...@dim.com (Ben Cantrick) wrote:

>In article <g9Tt2.7289$QU6.51...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
>kaio <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>how do i get to ronin.net?
>

> Well, first you have to buy a plane ticket to Denver International Airport
>(aka DIA) near Denver, Colorado. Then fly on in. Next, take the A/B bus from
>[detailed directions *crunch*]
>posters on the walls.) There you are, you have found ronin.net!
>

> -Ben "Or perhaps you could try http://www.ronin.net? Oh no, that
>would be *much* too logical." Cantrick

Is that really you, Ben?
What's your credit card number? We need that for identification.

(Does anyone know if I can order online from Godiva?)

-Nikkou. :)
I still don't think Wyrm should be used as a delinator of female
suitability.
Yes, I'll try replying email now that I am at the keyboard..

takanonami

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
On 3 Feb 1999 10:12:08 -0700 mac...@dim.com (Ben Cantrick) wrote:
> In article <g9Tt2.7289$QU6.51...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
> kaio <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >how do i get to ronin.net?
>
> Well, first you have to buy a plane ticket to Denver International Airport
> (aka DIA) near Denver, Colorado. Then fly on in. Next, take the A/B bus from
> DIA to Boulder. The ride should be about an hour and a half or maybe a little
> longer. Once you arrive at the Boulder bus station, take the "Hop" bus (I'm
> not kidding, we actually named a bus route "the hop") North on Broadway. Get
> off at the stop by the hospital. Walk 1 1/2 blocks back south to the corner
> of North and Broadway. Walk 1 3/4 blocks west along North (towards the
> mountains). If you get to 9th street you've gone too far. Turn right into
> the back parking lot of the chocolate-grey apartment complex. Proceed down
> the stairs into the "garden level" of the complex.
>
> The first door on your right is apartment #2A. Knock on the door. Wave
> hello to the long-haired geek who opens the door. If said geek has straight,
> black hair it's my roommate Mark. If he has wavy, brown hair that's me. Step
> into the living room, (bow to The Wyrm, sniveling mortal!) and turn right
> into the long hallway. Walk to the far bedroom, straight ahead. Go through
> the door and into my bedroom. Immediately turn right 90 degrees. Notice the
> Linux machine sitting on the desk. (Don't forget to admire all the pretty

> posters on the walls.) There you are, you have found ronin.net!

alright, i'll be there. just have some cold beer ready.

takanonami

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 22:52:41 +0800 nik...@anipike.com (Nikkou) wrote:
> In article <g9Tt2.7289$QU6.51...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
> "kaio" <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >how do i get to ronin.net?
>
> Swim?
> It helps if you have a porpoise.
>
> -Nikkou. ;)

alright wise guy. i did get to www.ronin.net but found no bubblegum
but a lot of stuff about some nutty volley ball team and some info on
homeless samurai. i don't get it.

Sarah Davis

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99

takanonami wrote in message ...

>alright wise guy. i did get to www.ronin.net but found no bubblegum
>but a lot of stuff about some nutty volley ball team and some info on
>homeless samurai. i don't get it.

Try the FTP site. ftp://ftp.ronin.net. That's where the BCG stuff is
located.

Sarah

Nikkou

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
In article <sDcu2.7900$QU6.51...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
"takanonami" <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 22:52:41 +0800 nik...@anipike.com (Nikkou) wrote:
>> In article <g9Tt2.7289$QU6.51...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
>> "kaio" <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >how do i get to ronin.net?
>>
>> Swim?
>> It helps if you have a porpoise.
>>
>> -Nikkou. ;)
>>

>alright wise guy. i did get to www.ronin.net but found no bubblegum
>but a lot of stuff about some nutty volley ball team and some info on
>homeless samurai. i don't get it.

heh. It'd helped if you had introduced your porpoise earlier.
ronin.net would mean http://www.ronin.net/ usually.

Still, it's not everyday that I get called a guy. :)
Wade around here:

ftp://ftp.ronin.net/pub/

-Nikkou.

Ben Cantrick

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
In article <%ycu2.7892$QU6.51...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,

takanonami <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>alright, i'll be there. just have some cold beer ready.

All that's in the fridge right now is some Kirin, but I'll go get
some Guiness sometime this week...

-Ben
--
Ben Cantrick (mac...@dim.com) | Yes, the BGC dubs still suck.
BGC Nukem: http://www.dim.com/~mackys/bgcnukem.html
The Spamdogs: http://www.dim.com/~mackys/spamdogs

"Of COURSE I'm on topic. (Which group is this again?)" -Scott Hagie

Ben Cantrick

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
In article <B2DF0CD0...@0.0.0.0>, Nikkou <nik...@anipike.com> wrote:
>Is that really you, Ben?
>What's your credit card number? We need that for identification.

Hehehe. Know what? I don't have a credit card. At first I thought
they were evil. Now I'd kind of like one so I can order ethernet cards
and stuff from the Datacomm Warehouse catalog, but the bastard banks
say I have "incomplete credit." (Read: I haven't paid off my car loan yet,
even though I easily could - banks like it if you pay off your loans slowly,
they get more interest) and so they won't give me a card. Dorqs. "Gee,
there's someone who works for a high-tech startup and makes $42k a year.
Let's deny him a credit card!" <rolls eyes> Stupid people are everywhere.

>I still don't think Wyrm should be used as a delinator of female
>suitability.

If some chick I'm bringing home gets freaked out by The Wyrm, she
sure as heck isn't going to deal well with my weird friends, my incessant
EE/CS geeking, and my warped sleep schedule. Bottom line is, The Wyrm is
just the first hurdle any potential girlfriend would need to clear.

But anyway, this NG is SUPPOSED to be about BGC...

-Ben "any my personal life ain't that interesting anyway" Cantrick

--
Ben Cantrick (mac...@dim.com) | Yes, the BGC dubs still suck.
BGC Nukem: http://www.dim.com/~mackys/bgcnukem.html
The Spamdogs: http://www.dim.com/~mackys/spamdogs

E Pluribus Unix

musashimaru-ozeki

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
On 4 Feb 1999 09:22:23 -0700 mac...@dim.com (Ben Cantrick) wrote:
> In article <%ycu2.7892$QU6.51...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
> takanonami <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >alright, i'll be there. just have some cold beer ready.
>
> All that's in the fridge right now is some Kirin, but I'll go get
> some Guiness sometime this week...
>

> -Ben

seriously, you drink japanese beer? i must say japanese do alot of
things well but beer is not one of them.
strangely the chinese have a decent beer called tsingtao--as it turns
out, during the heyday of western imperialism germans occupied the ciy
of tientsin and built a first rate beer factory which operates to this
day.

Ben Cantrick

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
In article <nqwu2.8485$QU6.52...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,

musashimaru-ozeki <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On 4 Feb 1999 09:22:23 -0700 mac...@dim.com (Ben Cantrick) wrote:
>> In article <%ycu2.7892$QU6.51...@c01read10.service.talkway.com>,
>> takanonami <gaza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >alright, i'll be there. just have some cold beer ready.
>>
>> All that's in the fridge right now is some Kirin, but I'll go get
>> some Guiness sometime this week...
>
>seriously, you drink japanese beer? i must say japanese do alot of
>things well but beer is not one of them.

It depends on the beer. Kirin is the best-selling beer in Japan. Bud
Light is the best selling beer in America. That doesn't mean that either
is a good beer. Personally, I prefer Asahi Super Dry. It's dishwater thin,
but the alcohol content is a little higher than normal. Plus, it comes in
24 oz bottles. <G>

I'm sure there are some good Japanese micro-brews. Of course, it's kind
of hard to get those here on the other side of the pond. So if I want good
beer, I go for a Guiness or Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

>strangely the chinese have a decent beer called tsingtao--as it turns
>out, during the heyday of western imperialism germans occupied the ciy
>of tientsin and built a first rate beer factory which operates to this
>day.

Hm, have to try that sometime. Maybe at the "black hearts" slasher-flick-
fest party I'm going to on Valentine's Day.

-Ben

--
Ben Cantrick (mac...@dim.com) | Yes, the BGC dubs still suck.
BGC Nukem: http://www.dim.com/~mackys/bgcnukem.html
The Spamdogs: http://www.dim.com/~mackys/spamdogs

I refuse to star in your psychodrama.

TrboTurtle

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
>Unagi wrote:
>>
>> In article <7978s6$4...@flatland.dimensional.com>, mac...@dim.com (Ben

>Cantrick) wrote:
>>
>> > Well, I guess the highlights were probably hearing that the BGC RPG
>> >was coming out, and also hearing about the new BGC series. Unagi's
>> >BGC Nukem patches have to rate up there too.
>>
>> (Sniff... sniff) It brings tears to my eyes to hear that my work can be
>> considered a highlight of the BGC newsgroup. I'm pleased to know that my
>15
>> minutes of fame was expressed in anime. But now that I think about it,
>> another highlight you didn't mention was the entire DYO incident. Sigh, if
>> only I could be as famous as that Overstreet guy...

Maybe, but "DYU" doesn't seem to have the same ring as "DYO" for some reason. .
. . ^_^

C. A. Reed Jr.- Trbot...@aol.com - remove NOSPAM from email
The Website has been updated as of 10/25/98 - http://members.aol.com/trboturtle
BCG stories, Battletech stories, and some....other links......