Favorite Collectibles

1 view

connie A/oklahoma

Apr 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/23/99
well.....its not much............but Carl gave Angela and I Barrys sweat
towel that he had used at the Houston AMFAR benefit last summer..... may be
silly to some..but its special to me :-)
and I keep it but in a little treasure type box...and no one is allowed to
take it out! LOl
Connie

YteRabbit wrote in message <19990423204423...@ng07.aol.com>...
>> What is the most
>>precious thing that you have in your collection?
>
>I have two things that are tied, and both are framed posters. One is my
>autographed "Live On Broadway" poster. It's one of my favorite album
covers,
>and I have it framed and on prominent display. The other poster is of
>"Thumbelina", which is autographed by both Don Bluth and Barry. I got it
>autographed at two different signings, and I just love it that both Barry
and
>Don Bluth said the same exact thing about the other person "Isn't he the
nicest
>guy?"
>

>Donna
>
>"I don't want to be led into the 21st Century --
> I want to arrive fashionably late."

ElRaven7

Apr 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/24/99
It's always fun collecting things that are rare and hard to come by. (Although
as long as that tv Copacabana Soundtrack is going for $500 don't think I'll be
adding IT to my collection!) I've enjoyed reading about which items are
considered "rare" in a Manilow collection, and in fact, have many that were
mentioned.

I would like to ask another question along this line. What is the most
precious thing that you have in your collection? It may not be the "high
priced, much sought after item"..... just something that is special to you.
And why is it so special?

I think this might be something fun we can share..........

Raven

YteRabbit

Apr 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/24/99
> What is the most
>precious thing that you have in your collection?

I have two things that are tied, and both are framed posters. One is my

Buster1033

Apr 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/24/99
I think I have about 2 really precious things. One is the photo that he signed
for me in Spokane in 198? The Copa Tour! It was the first time I met him and
the real pleasure was having my friend Yvonne there with me. She's one of the
many friends that have gone by the way, but I still remember that fondly. I
remember Barry looking at the photo in a very funny way and saying, "Don't you
want a newer one?" It was kind of ten years too old, but my favorite and I
told him so. It's such a GREAT memory.
"Girls with glasses have lots & lots of energy."
Admiral Al Calavicci-Quantum Leap
John Gilbert, Valentino, Buster Keaton--Silents Please!

Scooter

Apr 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/24/99
ElRaven7 wrote:

> I would like to ask another question along this line. What is the most
> precious thing that you have in your collection? It may not be the "high
> priced, much sought after item"..... just something that is special to you.
> And why is it so special?

First would have to be my autographed copy of Sweet Life. As he was
signing books, once in a while he would mess up an autograph, pitch that
book into a pile in back of the table, and sign a new one for that
person. When my turn came, he totally screwed up "Manilow," and started
to chunk the book behind him. But I said, "No, I'd like to have this
one." He smiled, and handed it to me. I treasure it because it just
represents for me that he's human just like the rest of us, and that's
the only time I've ever been face to face, one on one with him. That
was my 30 seconds.

The second treasured item: The SPCA of Texas had a silent auction to
raise money. All the items were celebrity designed dog bowls. The SPCA
is our club's charity, and we had asked Barry to design a bowl. He was
gracious enough do that, and it was so "Manilow!" All the bowls were
plain white to start. Barry could do anything he liked with it. In the
dish part of the bowl, he signed his name in black. Above his name he
drew a red heart outlined in black, and in the center of the heart was a
little black eighth note. A friend won the bowl in the auction, and
gave it to me for Christmas.

Scooter

Waldrondeb

Apr 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/24/99
>From: elra...@aol.com (ElRaven7)

> What is the most
>precious thing that you have in your collection?

-----
I sincerely wish I could answer this, but I do not collect Barry
Memoribilia.... (or any memoribilia).

But - I do cherish the CD's of Barrys in my CD case. I did have alot of them -
until my young ones got into them and scratched them up (played frisbees with
them - while spouse was babysitting).

I have only a few now. Why do I like them? I do like them better than any
other CD's in my cd cases - and when I am feeling a little 'blank' when I am
drawing, or working on a project. That feeling that can creep in that I cannot
continue. Either too tired, too difficult a task before me, etc...

I pull out one of Barry's CD's and it helps give me that little boost I need to
keep on pushing forward. Kinda like a gentle pat on the back.

Next?

Sincerely,
deb... :)

RADTEC96

Apr 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/24/99
My favorite is a Al Hershfield drawing that I won in Orlando in '89. It was
signed to me by Barry himself and given to me by him. It is something I will
always cherish.
Marge

Dream64512

Apr 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/24/99
> What is the most
>precious thing that you have in your collection?

I have two....
About 5 years ago, after going through a particularly bad few years, I re-read
Sweet Life. I kept being drawn to the "Coda" chapter and did a counted cross
stitch of those words. It hangs in my living room and is a constant
reminder..."I believe that we are who we choose to be...." I've since made
similar ones for friends and plan on giving one to my oldest daughter as she
graduates from high school soon.

The other would be a personal photo. During one of the Vegas runs, my
girlfriend and I rented a car and ventured to the Valley of Fire. We were a
bit disappointed that day because as we got nearer to the park, it clouded up
and we were fearful that the "fire effect" of the sun on the rocks would be
missed. It wasn't! And on our way out of the park, the sunset, with all of
those clouds created the most awesome colors.....
Going all but straight onto Barry's show that night, loading film in a dark
showroom, somehow one of those rolls of sunset at the Valley of Fire got
reloaded into the camera, resulting in the most magical of pictures in my Barry
collection......Barry in the foreground, arms extended, with Lake Mead and the
mountains in the background with the most spectacular sunset. This is my "aim
beyond the clouds" picture. Our "mistake" turned into one of my most treasured
"gifts".

Carolyn

Mary Chadderdon

Apr 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/25/99

ElRaven7 <elra...@aol.com> wrote in message

> It's always fun collecting things that are rare and hard to come by.
(Although
> as long as that tv Copacabana Soundtrack is going for $500 don't think
I'll be
> adding IT to my collection!) I've enjoyed reading about which items are
> considered "rare" in a Manilow collection, and in fact, have many that
were
> mentioned.
>
> I would like to ask another question along this line. What is the most
> precious thing that you have in your collection? It may not be the "high
> priced, much sought after item"..... just something that is special to
you.
> And why is it so special?
>
> I think this might be something fun we can share..........

Raven

My favorite Barry object....Saying all of it would defeat the question( but
would be true) so
I think I can say,my picture album you know that old clear one with his
picture in it. OR
My eight tracks of him from the old days ( it shows how long I have loved
his music)
I have nothing valuable to any one but me. But thats OK. Can I say MY
favorite Barry
"thing" is the way he has touched my spirit and how much I enjoy him. No I
wont
say that , that goes with out saying.
Thanks for
letting me share

Mare

Matt Gironda

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Fave Manilow collectibles...

I have two categories for my answer:

- the most nostalgically (is that word?!) significant is my Oh Julie/Break
Down The Door 45. When this single came out I was ion Kindergarten, and
it was my first ever 45 that I had purchased with my own money, as well as
my first ever Barry 45. Well you know I HAD to bring this in for Show and
Tell that Friday, complete with Navy Blue Arista sleeve. After realizing
that I would have to explain to all my friends what a record was,
nevermind who Barry was, I knew my 45 was a cool thing to bring. Well
much to my dismay, my teacher thoughtfully asked me to give it to her so
she could put it away and keep it from getting broken. With much
then-unbeknownst reluctancy, I gave it to her. She prompty took it,
opened a big blue marker, and scribbled MATTHEW across the entire label
around the center before putting it away. I cried for a week!! I still
have this one in my collection. :-)

- the coolest one -- this is tough. I'll have to go by the reactions of
my friends and say the coolest pieces in my collection are the head-shaped
picture discs from '83 (You're Looking Hot Tonight/One Voice Live and Read
'Em and Weep/One Voice Live) and the Brooklyn Blues blue vinyl promo 12".
They get the best reactions.

Matt

SUGARSFAM

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
First I have the shirt that I recieved from "Cant Smile" in 83' but more than
that was the people that came to me at that concert and a year after to give me
pictures of the moment in Costa Mesa I would not have if not for them. At that
time they did not give you the video, so the pictures are worth a thousand
words. Some one I know by the name of Candee put them into a picture holder for
me so they will stay nice, and that nice guesture I will never forget. The
people that took those and wanted nothing in return including her I soon found
out what it is to be a Barry fan.
My Two Cents.
Sue O'.
from CA.

YteRabbit

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
>the most nostalgically (is that word?!) significant is my Oh Julie/Break
>Down The Door 45. When this single came out I was ion Kindergarten, and
>it was my first ever 45 that I had purchased with my own money

Matt (groan!)

Now that I feel 101, let me go take a big gulp of Geritol. I don't remember
what year "Oh Julie" was released, but I know I was well past kindergarten, but
still a college undergrad.

But it is nice to know that you still remember when there was such a thing as a
vinyl record.

Scooter

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
YteRabbit wrote:

> >the most nostalgically (is that word?!) significant is my Oh Julie/Break
> >Down The Door 45. When this single came out I was ion Kindergarten, and
> >it was my first ever 45 that I had purchased with my own money
>
> Matt (groan!)
>
> Now that I feel 101, let me go take a big gulp of Geritol. I don't remember
> what year "Oh Julie" was released, but I know I was well past kindergarten, but
> still a college undergrad.
>
> But it is nice to know that you still remember when there was such a thing as a
> vinyl record.
>
> Donna

It was 1982. I had already been out of high school for 17 years! That
can't be right! Let's see...one...two...... Yep. That's right. 8-/

Scooter

DAVEDOG77

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
>I don't remember
>what year "Oh Julie" was released, but I know I was well past kindergarten,
>but
>still a college undergrad.

1982 was the year....and i was a junior in high school in Amsterdam, NY!!
wow!! that seems like a long time ago. i remember thinking how "super cool"
his album cover was. and how "neat" this "EP" was...only four songs!!

dave

Gayle Picaizen

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
In article <372662...@flash.net>, Scooter <wt...@flash.net> wrote:
>YteRabbit wrote:
>>
>> >the most nostalgically (is that word?!) significant is my Oh Julie/Break
>> >Down The Door 45. When this single came out I was ion Kindergarten, and
>> >it was my first ever 45 that I had purchased with my own money
>>
>> Matt (groan!)
>>
>> Now that I feel 101, let me go take a big gulp of Geritol. I don't remember

>> what year "Oh Julie" was released, but I know I was well past kindergarten, but
>> still a college undergrad.
>>
>> But it is nice to know that you still remember when there was such a thing as a
>> vinyl record.
>>
>> Donna
>

>It was 1982. I had already been out of high school for 17 years! That
>can't be right! Let's see...one...two...... Yep. That's right. 8-/
>
>Scooter

I had been out for 16 years. But we finish a year earlier here. And Barry
wasn't even 40 yet! (Either birthdate.) Where has the time gone?

Gayle

ElRaven7

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
>But it is nice to know that you still remember when there was such a thing as
>vinyl record.

I have to share this, since we're all feeling like dinosaurs now......

My daughter is in fourth grade. At the beginning of the school year her class
had a math word problem that went something like this: If you have $20, and buy
two records at $6 each, how much will you have left.
One little guy raised his hand and asked the teacher "What's a record?! I've
never seen or heard of one before."
My "loving daughter" stood up and told the class that that's what people used
to have to listen to before cd's came along. She couldn't let it rest there,
she also had to add that this was the kind of music that they had when her mom
was in school and Mom still had TONS of them if anyone wanted to see what one
looked like!
Raven

Tigger7682

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
In article <19990428084703...@ng-fu1.aol.com>, elra...@aol.com
(ElRaven7) writes:

>My "loving daughter" stood up and told the class that that's what people used
>to have to listen to before cd's came along. She couldn't let it rest there,
>she also had to add that this was the kind of music that they had when her
>mom
>was in school and Mom still had TONS of them if anyone wanted to see what one
>looked like!

You know, I really wasn't feeling too bad about staring 40 in the face
this year. That is, up until Matt mentioned being in Kindergarten when "Oh
Julie" came out and other's that have piped up with their "I was this
young......." stories. I think I'll go look for the Geritol now and take a well
deserved nap. LOL

Gigi
The four basic food groups-Milk Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, White Chocolate and
Chocolate Truffles.

Dave

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
Davedog wrote:

> 1982 was the year....and i was a junior in high school in Amsterdam, NY!!
> wow!! that seems like a long time ago. i remember thinking how "super cool"
> his album cover was. and how "neat" this "EP" was...only four songs!!

Oh no, Dave... don't tell me we're the same age! :) I started my senior
year of high school in the fall of '82...

Let's see... favorite Barry collectable. Overall, I'd say... my program
and ticket stub from his show at Poplar Creek (Chicago) in '83. It was
the first concert I was ever allowed to go to ALONE... I even got to use
the car that night! :) (Well, okay, Mom's car. Even so.) I think it was
also the first night of the first BMIFC convention (I could be wrong,
memory plays tricks with years gone by.) I *do* remember it was very
near Barry's birthday (and mine... I'm a week before Barry) and there
was a fan group passing out mimeographed sheets asking people to sing
"Happy Birthday" to Barry. I think I still have that, too, tucked in
with my tour book... :)

As far as what ALBUM holds memories... I'd have to say my original copy
of the "Live" album. Back in '77, I was still pretty much into
singles... albums were a bit out of my price range. That summer, my
younger brother caused an accident that resulted in my having seven
stitches in my foot... and I had to stay inside for a week, with my foot
up. He felt SO guilty (Mom taught me well) that he offered to buy me
something to make me feel better. I was just starting to get into
Barry... and had a single or two... but no albums yet. So I told my
brother to go buy me a Barry Manilow album. He came back with "Live".
Man, he MUST have been feeling guilty... he bought me a double album! :)
I later found out that Mom had "helped" finance this little project, but
it worked. Of course, once the stitches were out, I was back to spending
most of my time outside, and the album got put away on my shelf. Before
that happened, though, I think my mother got more than a little tired of
hearing "Ladies and gentlemen... MR. BARRY MANILOW!!!" :)

Dave

YteRabbit

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
>and how "neat" this "EP" was...only four songs!!

Dave:

Yep, I was still in college in 1982.

I remember feeling gypped that Barry put out an album that ONLY had 4 songs on
it.

YteRabbit

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
>I have to share this, since we're all feeling like dinosaurs now......

This could be a start of a new thread, I suppose. We could all sit around,
rubbing ligament into our aching joints and throwing down Geritol Shooters.
How about "I'm So Old That I Can Remember 8 Track Tapes"?

In 1993 (or was it '94? There goes the brain again), a friend and I were
talking to some of the kids in the "One Voice" choir outside after the show at
Radio City Music Hall. One little girl was gushing "Barry is SO CUTE! He's
even cuter in person than he is on my mother's albums!" After we were done
groaning, and then laughing, we tried bribing her to tell that to Barry ...

BrryM

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
<<<In 1993 (or was it '94? There goes the brain again), a friend and I were
talking to some of the kids in the "One Voice" choir outside after the show at
Radio City Music Hall. One little girl was gushing "Barry is SO CUTE! He's
even cuter in person than he is on my mother's albums!" After we were done
groaning, and then laughing, we tried bribing her to tell that to Barry ...

MY DAUGHTER's boyfriend came over while I was watching a Barry video. I was so
thrilled that he knew who was on the screen. Then he said "My grandmother
loves him" Old, oh so very old am I.......lol
Lynn

Waldrondeb

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
>From: br...@aol.com (BrryM)

>MY DAUGHTER's boyfriend came over while I was watching a Barry video. I was
>so
>thrilled that he knew who was on the screen. Then he said "My grandmother
>loves him" Old, oh so very old am I.......lol
>Lynn

--------

My oldest daughters (13 1/2 and 11 1/2) think Barry is 'all that' -
(translation? he's a fox).....

My oldest likes to sit in my room and listen to his albums (when I work on
computer art - I play them often).

I think its cute that they like his music.

Sincerely
Deb.. :)