What do you value?

1 view

Isabella

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
We've had several discussions that touched on why people go to faire--the
food, the friends, the guys in tight pants.... So here's a formal
question:

What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you primarily go
to faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire? (For
example, you went the first time cause you wanted to see a juggler but now
you spend all your time drinking ale)

Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)
Costumed street characters?
Stage acts?
Music (on or off a stage)?
Food?
The Joust?
Hang-out time with your buds?
Other?

And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who has a
formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

Thanks for the input!

Allison Williams

Jefferson Smith

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
That question could get you a book's worth of responces! For me, the
atmosphere, the attitude of the performers, live performances, the chance to
PLAY, the crafts, (I'm a wood carver) it's hard to list all the reasons. One
of my favorite pictures is of me, my son and daughter when he was 4 and she
was 1, on the back of an elephant at Puddelton in Largo FL. Now my daughter
_hated_ the costume photographer's stand. She was 6 months old the first
time we went there, the next year when she saw the stand (from a distance!)
she immediatly began to howl. Now, she loves to "dress up".

Steven Donley

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
Good thing you made it say what do you value *most* about going to the
faire, otherwise there can be novels written. To me, there's just a energy
about faires that I normally don't find in every day life. I only started
going to them this summer and was hooked right after walking in the gate,
started buying garb that day. Anyways, as I said, there's something about
the energy of the faire itself, and the energy of the few rennies I've had
the honor and pleasure of actually meeting, I look forward to meeting more.

--
-steven
A wise man once said: "A fool is one who trusts blindly and loves

MMario

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
Isabella wrote:

> What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you primarily go
> to faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire?
What I go for depends on what faire I attend.
At Sterling, I am most appreciative of patrons who are willing to play,
street characters, and ANY music that gets close enough for me to hear.
But at Sterling I am confined to my booth......

At other faires, as a patron, window shopping,(I'd LOVE to buy, but
budget is non-existant) street characters, ANY music I can get within
hearing distance of, and a special treat...entertaining working friends
when THEY get a chance to break from entertaining me.....every faire
should have some quiet areas where impromptu stuff can happen without
disturbing the scheduled shows.

Some of my fondest memories of faire are of finding the areas where
various musicians did quiet little unscheduled "warm-up"
shows...welcoming anyone who found them
and remembering how priviliged I felt when one group moved their
spot...but left me a message to let me know where they would be!

---
MMario
LP...@edutech.org
AFR demigod of gaming,hawking and loud noise
Keeper of the Key of Off
Horde-Leader of the Front Row Chorus
Sterling Tarnished to order

George A. Williams

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98

Isabella wrote in message <6rdb7d$qgk$1...@news-2.news.gte.net>...
>What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you >primarily
go to faire? And is this different from why you first went to >faire? (For

example, you went the first time cause you wanted to >see a juggler but
nowyou spend all your time drinking ale)

This should become an interesting thread. Let's see ... One of the things I
value the most about the Faire experience is that it is something we do as a
family. Not too many things out there where a Dad and Mom get to share
heavy duty fun with a 14 year old boy. We tried many, many things, but
Faire was the thing that clicked. Still one of the main reasons we do it,
but we are also performers.

>Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

Usually looking for something a little out of the ordinary. Small items,
mostly. My wife is a wonderful seamstress, and one of our friends is among
the best leatherworkers on the planet, so we usually don't do much of that
kind of shopping. As a musician, I'm interested in some of the instruments
occasionally offered.

>Costumed street characters?

Usually that includes us ... whether paid or not.

>Stage acts?

Sometimes, but am getting quite tired of the "pull someone out of the
audience and make a fool of them" type of show. Also prefer family
oriented. Absolutely LOVE the Birds of Prey show at Scarborough.

>Music (on or off a stage)?

Again, sometimes. Usually like the off-stage better. Street musicians
often invite others to join in, and sometimes create a nice impromptu event.

>Food?

Not usually.

>The Joust?

Having almost lost use of a hand due to a horse accident when doing Old West
Gunfights, I have little interest in the horses and the joust. I admire the
skill, and have a couple of friends who are into it (both amateur &
professional), but I usually don't watch.

>Hang-out time with your buds?

Our "hang-out" time is usually pretty active. We don't drink, and prefer to
spend our time in interaction with patrons ... bringing a little "color" to
their day.

>Other?

Sometimes part of a larger peforming group.

>And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who >has a
formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

Have worked both, and enjoy both. Do NOT enjoy the occasional workers who
b**ch about and/or laugh at the patrons. Seems pretty ungrateful. The
patrons, are, after all, the ones who foot the bills ... even the occasional
jerks. Smile, excuse yourself, and find someone else.

>Thanks for the input!

A pleasure.

>Allison Williams

George Williams
Anachronistix, the Bard
Old Father William

AuroraeB

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
>What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you primarily go
>to faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire?

To me, it is the chance to get out of the city and "escape" for a day. Pretty
much the same motivation for going now as back when......

>Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

>Costumed street characters?
>Stage acts?

>Music (on or off a stage)?

>Food?
>The Joust?

>Hang-out time with your buds?

>Other?

Booths: Jewelry of course! Really anything handcrafted. I love handcrafted
items.

Characters: I love to "people-watch", be they participants or just playtrons
and patrons who show up in bizzare attire. Also costume ideas!

Stage acts: I try to see as much as I can, I love the jugglers, and magic
shows. But I can't say I'd walk away from ANY faire show.

Music: I love it, Definately adds to the experience for me.

Food: I definately make a pig out of myself on faire-food. It all seems to
just taste "better" at faire.....

Joust: Usually we are late and wind up having to sit Waaaaaaay in the back,
but it is still fun to watch.

Hang-out time: This is a big part for me. We usually go with a big group of
friends, and that makes it all the more fun for us. I try to pester everybody
enough to get us all in costume.

Other: I guess I have to say I have never had a "bad" faire experience. I
like to go when it is cold, and blustery, and only the most stalwart
Faire-goers are around. Those are my best times.

>And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who has a
>formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

In years past I have been a worker, the past couple and this year we will most
likely be patrons. Although we may go up one weekend to volunteer with the
SCA, as I have been an off-and on member for like 9 years....

I have to say, being a worker is most definately a whole other faire
experience. And, I have really enjoyed it in the past.

But, there is something to be said for paying your way in the gate..... you can
do what you please with your day, dress in how YOU want to interpret
"renaissance", and not have to be "on" all day.

BTW, I am in Houston and do TRF at least twice a year. I am planning to go
with a BIG group of friends the 7th of Nov. And, I mean a BIG group of friends
as I will be there with a social group for large-sized people. So look for a
bevy of bountiful wenches and ladies, and some hearty and husky lords walking
around together.

You can't miss us............

Tracy

***********
"Minds are like Parachutes...... They only function when OPEN"

***********

Pyratepeg1

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
We've had several discussions that touched on why people go to faire--the food,
the friends, the guys in tight pants.... So here's a formal question:

What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you primarily go to

faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire? (For example,

you went the first time cause you wanted to see a juggler but now you spend all
your time drinking ale)

Wow! Well put question! Well...goes like this:
I first went to he MD show loe these 20 years past. What brought me there was a
fluke. I was dating someone who was housemates with a guy who was dating a
woman whos sister knew someone who worked there. So, one weekend, we all went.
What hooked me in the beginning was that it was all the books I liked to read,
all the music I was already into, playing dress-up (which I had missed since
childhood), and it was campfires and woods, which were the mainstays of the
camping vacations my family went on when I was a child. Now? I come back for
many reasons...I am addicted to the stage, for one. I love making people laugh
and smile, and I love singing with a passion. It is the essence of how I define
myself..Lord forbid I ever lose my ability to sing, because I will be one
miserable woman. I still do it for the ambience and the dress up thing, but
MOST of all, I am still doing this after 20 years (5 patron, 15 performer)
because of the people. My bandmates, my friends, and the audience.

Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

When I was a patron, I spent $ like it was going out of style at the faire, but
it was more of a side issue for me. I would still have gone had there been no
craft booths. Now, I don't do much shopping, but when I do, it is usually for
another piece of costumery.

Costumed street characters?

Not in the beginning. I paid little attention to them. I was sorta shy (if you
can believe that)
In a sense, they are a draw for me...but more because many are people I would
call my friends.

Stage acts?

As a patron, I was definately interested in the shows. I loved seeing the
Karamazovs, Penn and Teller, Puke and Snot, and I liked seeing the court
intrigues. I don't get to go to many shows now (other than those that precede
or follow my own...wink wink).

Music (on or off a stage)?

In the way back years, my favorite thing was the recorder dude hanging from the
trees. Now? Uh...well, I have to say that, of all the musical shows, there is
one that I see more than any other. 'Course, I am under contract to be there,
so I sorta have to "see" the Pyrates 5 or 6 times a day.

Food?

Didn't care then, don't care now.

The Joust?

Didn't much care for it then, still don't follow it now (though I DO like to
take in the eye candy when I am over in that area)

Hang-out time with your buds?

Absolutely! In the way back years, it was hanging with my friends dressed up
that was the big draw. Now? I gotta say that being a member of my group is one
of the best things I have ever had the privelage of being invloved with. I
can't really explain it, but it's like it's not quite a marriage, but more than
just friendship. And then there are all the other "buds" that fill the Pub that
I miss dearly all year round.

Other?

Hmmmm...The Dudes, when I was single....and, the Dudes, now that I am married.

And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who has a
formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

I know you know it...but, "Performer".

Lynn
"Peg!" (tm) of the Pyrates Royale, Bosun on the "HMS Sinkwell" (often called
"The Running Sore"), and official ale taster (anywhere, anytime, anyones)
Official quote: "Don't know...don't care...gimme a Guinness"

BrssyLassy

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
>What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you primarily go
>to faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire?

oh ,my. this opens up roads upon roads in my head. I can't actually choose one
thing that is most valuable to me. If you make me choose, though, I would have
to say faire gave me the chance to grow and develop in my own way and time, and
now I get the chance to help others do the same. Through interactiopn and
"people-watching" I learned more about myself at faire than anywhere else. I
got involved and now can be an influence, hopefully good, on others like me.
Now *I* get to be the one drawing them out and playing and getting them
involved. It makes the drive and the heat and dust worthwhile to me. I get to
make people laugh, and feel better about themselves.

.>Booths?

I enjoy looking, but usually don't buy anything but costume accessories. I've
learned to make everything else I need. Of course, there's *always*
something...

>Costumed street characters

as I said, these are the people who helped me out of my shell, I am proud to
call many of them my friends now.

>Stage acts?

not having a lot of time anymore, I don't get to see as many as I'd like, but
when I do, they never fail to bring a smile to my face.

>Music

music is such a big part of faire that I can't even see one where there wasn't
music everywhere at every time.

>Food?

well, ya gotta eat.

>The Joust?

being a horsewoman myself, yes, I try to see it as often as possible, and
always it's a good show.

>Hang-out time with your buds?

are no people like faire people. So many of them are friends and more, it's
better than family, and in fact some ARE family.

>Other?

The patrons. I love to interact with them. Flirt with the men (no matter what
they look like) and gossip with the women (of any age or type). They will
always remember the faire experience and you will be part of it. Bring a smile
to their faces

.>And are you a patron or a worker
I am a volunteer worker and am happy that way. It's more than worth it to me.I
will continue as long as they'll let me.

Moira Shaw
aka Mistress Leisa
2nd Assistant Mistress of Brass

MacLaren33

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
>What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you primarily go
>to faire?

To live in another time for awhile! :) I've always loved medevial/Renaissance
and when I first walked in, it was "Wow, I can *live* this for a day!"

I love costumes and jumped at the chance to have another day (or two, or
three....) to dress up in costume besides Halloween....

>Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

OOh, anything really! Garb, pewter, swords, leather....I like 'em all!

>Costumed street characters?

My favorite part! That is one of the things that makes up the atmosphere.

>Stage acts?

Some...in Colorado, there aren't really any I've made a point to go and see. (I
saw Zilch, of course, he was great! Miss Ded Bob every year though, sigh.) Our
theaters are horribly undershaded, so it's hard to sit in the heat for a half
hour or so, especially if the show isn't grabbing your attention.

>Music (on or off a stage)?

I like it off stage personally. It adds to the merrymaking atmosphere. It's
nice to be sitting and eating lunch, or resting and listening to some good
music! And where there are street musicians, there are usually street actors,
so it's always alot of fun.

>Food?

I'm usually too busy to eat. I have a cheese bread, but that's all. I just
drink constantly....(not alcohol! Yeah, back of the title....)

>The Joust?

Nope. I think we all saw *that* outburst!

And that is my faire experience....and oh yeah, I'm a patron too. :)

Elisabeth MacLaren
Goddess of Innocence and Wenches To Be
Lady Gizmonica of Sarcastica, keeper of Coeur du Joel
http://members.aol.com/MacLaren33/mycastle.html

"I wish the real world, would just stop hassling me." --Matchbox 20

ShameLesss

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Allison did write:

>What do you most value about your faire experience?

gosh...I feel as though I've answered this question before but.....
the magick......the magick that is created by the guests and actors alike...I
believe the phrase is "willing suspension of disbelief". I can't really give it
words...( I _know_ Morghana will come along after me and say _exactly_ what I
wanted to say but couldn't *g*).

>Why do you primarily go

>to faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire? >(For

>example, you went the first time cause you wanted to see a juggler >but now
>you spend all your time drinking ale)

When I first went to faire it was because my cousin was going to faire, and she
was "cool" and I wanted to be like her (give me a break, I was 13). After
that, I really did become interested in the "time period"(Elizabethan for me),
its methods and lifestyles. I actually began to do research, and the
clothes:::sigh:::....I love a good bodice!Actually, I'm interested in quite a
few different time periods <for the clothes, of course!>. So why do I do faire
now? .....I'm not sure...that's a pretty good question. 'cuz I love it. The
shows are good, and the ale is good, and the shops are good....and it all
combines in to this magickal, wonderous experience.......when should I stop?

>Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

>Costumed street characters?
>Stage acts?

>Music (on or off a stage)?

>Food?
>The Joust?

>Hang-out time with your buds?

>Other?

>And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who >has a
>formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

Well...I used to be. But not now. Mundane life has intruded...strictly
playtron this year.
Jolene
:-)(-:
A life with no regrets

CyberKender

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Isabella wrote:

> What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you primarily go

> to faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire? (For
> example, you went the first time cause you wanted to see a juggler but now
> you spend all your time drinking ale)

There are many reasons I do faire: I'm a long-time role-player and
faire is basically live role-playing. I love the feel of a sword hanging
at my hip as I jander throgh the world. The history of the situation is
facinating all it's own. The acts and the boothies are far more
entertaining than any mall. I hate being on a formal stage, but I do
like entertaining people on an informal level of acting.
But most of all, it's the people. There are more people at faire who
will stop and give you a hand, give you the shirt off their back, and
offer you a refreshing drink on a hot day than in any other collective
of humans I have ever been involved in. Okay, they're not all perfect,
but, hey, on the whole, Faire Folk Rock!

And for the record, I'm a participant on the small faire circuit, and a
playtron at RPFS...

--
Cyber/<ender Esquire Punslinger-at-Large
RenMerc and Rogue #159 Journeyman Bodice-ripper

Dra...@rocketmail.com

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <6rdb7d$qgk$1...@news-2.news.gte.net>,
"Isabella" <devi...@gte.net> wrote:

> What do you most value about your faire experience?

Most of all I value the time I get to spend with friends I only see at the
faire. After that, I value the shopping, for unique gifts. I don't go to the
shows that often, not at my home faire anyway.

>Why do you primarily go to faire?

Friends

>Is this different from why you first went to faire?

Well, when I first went it was to meet people. Now I know them. Also, when
I first went I was interested in meeting guys I cold date. Now I don't need
to do that anymore. :)

> Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

ummmmmm....I like all the booths - it depends on what I need at the time.
Right now we need stuff for the apartment and I need ideas for a wedding
dress and accessories (is trousseau the right word here?), so clothing,
furniture, jewelery and decorative things are where I head first.

> Costumed street characters?

Depends. Some of them annoy me to no end, some of them ignore us because we
are in costume. But some are loads of fun!

> Stage acts?

Depends on which show I am at and how much time I have to spend there. I
always try to see Looney Lucy, Jacky Tappet, Instant Shakespeare, the
Renaissance Man....some others, at different places.

> Music (on or off a stage)?

Depends which show I am at once again. I always try to see The Minstrels of
Mayhem and Double Indemnity if they are on site.

> Food?
I try to bring my own, if it is possible. Some shows do have marvelous food
though. I like food booths where you can buy specialty canned goods and
vinegars and stuff too.

> The Joust?
Only at NYRF, cuz we (the Wenches) sometimes play with the jousters we know.

> Hang-out time with your buds?

yes yes yes yes yes
> Other?

> And are you a patron or a worker?

Ummm, kinda both. I paid for my pass but I help out three different booths
with break work, food runs, etc.

Hope this helps.

Dranaan
WEnch #94

BJ Grotts

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Isabella wrote in message <6rdb7d$qgk$1...@news-2.news.gte.net>...
>What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you primarily
go

>to faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire? (For
>example, you went the first time cause you wanted to see a juggler but now
>you spend all your time drinking ale)

I guess the "experience" - I got hooked on all things old while in college,
when I became a member of the university Collegium Musicum and got a chance
to perform in "The Play of Daniel" in (sort of) garb in a wonderfully Gothic
church. Went on to study Henry VIII and his marital problems (thanks to the
Masterpiece Theatre series - yes I know I am dating myself, but we've
already got _that_ particular thread going elsewhere <g>), starting
collecting history materials to go with the music I was learning, and so on
and so forth.....

We go because we like to see and be seen. Theme parks do not hold any
particular attraction for our family; none of us enjoy the rides (any
more - another story for another thread), the shows tend to be similar and
bland compared to what we have seen (and performed in) locally, and the food
and souvenirs are mediocre and over-priced. Faire offers rides, shows and
purchases, but in "living color" and with far better value overall.

As George posted, our family discovered a number of years ago that faire is
an activity the entire family can enjoy. It helps, I suppose, that I have
continued doing some performing locally over the years and that both of our
children are active in local theatre and dance groups; it didn't take any
major persuasion to get them into garb (my husband was the most reluctant
and he is now the most enthusiastic of the bunch). I will also add that
faire is one of the few places that I feel comfortable letting my children
wander (albeit in pairs) without me following them everywhere.

>Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

Clothes and wearing apparel of any sort - sometimes I buy, sometimes I just
drool... Some of the art, some of the armor, all of the jewelry - anything
involving music and music instruments.

Within our travel group, we usually manage to see every single booth at a
faire. Our "take" at the end of the day is varied and sometimes strange,
but we manage to find places to fit it all....

>Costumed street characters?
>Stage acts?

>Music (on or off a stage)?

All of the above, although I tend to gravitate to music along the streets
(this is, after all, my "specialty" in a manner of speaking).

>Food?

I like it, for the most part.

>The Joust?

Definitely the joust (or any heavy armor fighting, on or off horse). I come
from a family with a background in work horse raising and training (my uncle
still raises Belgiums and Quarter horses), so I enjoy watching the horses as
much as the riders.

>And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who has a
>formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

I have been primarily a playtron up to this point, but that is changing with
the advent of the new St. Louis area faire - BTW, I will be posting more on
this later; we are still working on final details for a site, and plans are
moving forward.

Lady Niniane

jamesii...@yahoo.com

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Isabella wrote:

> We've had several discussions that touched on why people go to faire--the
> food, the friends, the guys in tight pants.... So here's a formal
> question:
>

> What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you primarily go
> to faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire? (For
> example, you went the first time cause you wanted to see a juggler but now
> you spend all your time drinking ale)

I go to fairs for the atmosphere and for the people. Generally I find that
faire folk tend to be really nice people and a joy to mingle with and talk. I
also like the chance to join impromptu dancing and street band playing since I
don't do either on a regular basis anymore.

> Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

Mostly prefer clothing booths which includes leather goods and armor. Always
looking for a nice addition to the wardrobe.

> Costumed street characters?
> Stage acts?
> Music (on or off a stage)?

> Food?
> The Joust?

> Hang-out time with your buds?

> Other?

> And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who has a
> formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

Been a performer and worker but not for several years. Real life doesn't leave
me as much time as it used to.

> Thanks for the input!
>
> Allison Williams

Corryn

Who now has to sneak back into the shadows.

Hidewell

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98

Isabella wrote:

What do you most value about your faire experience?  Why do you primarily go
to faire?  And is this different from why you first went to faire?  (For
example, you went the first time cause you wanted to see a juggler but now
you spend all your time drinking ale)

For me it has always been about that sense of  special about the faire. I used to do a lot of live role playing in the UK and this has much of the same joy about it. The opportunity to wander down a village street, dressed comfortably (hey, I've always found a bodice much more comfy than a bra), a sense of frantic peace, being able to leave the outside world and it's desperate need for rushing everywhere behind.

Booths?  (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

Always! I enjoy looking, drooling, sometimes buying. This year there have been less of the costume buying than last. Though I have introduced a couple of friends, and one of them started buying bodices and chemises within about ten minutes!
Costumed street characters?
Yup... Thanks to the live role playing, I am pretty okay with just dropping into an appropriate use of language. And I love interacting with them.
Stage acts?
We usually catch a few. They are mostly catered to the little ones at the moment at our local faire (Ontario), but it's a new faire, so I guess that it needs a couple more years to get that lived in look and feel about it!

Music (on or off a stage)?

Off  stage on preference.

Food?
I usually end up eating very little and drinking a lot of water (and the occasional ale too).

The Joust?

Ummm, not really. It's dusty and hot and the one at the end of the day happens more or less at the same time as the sing at the pub.

Hang-out time with your buds?

We are new to the faire life. I hope that we will start to meet folk and get to do this! Of course, I have started to bring friends along, so that there is a ready made bunch. And so far, I have managed to get them into costume - either by lending them stuff, or by the fact that they just start buying!

Other?
There is a certain feel to slowly wandering down the street of an early evening, maybe it is a little cold and you are in a cloak, or maybe it is the sight of the lights in the booths glowing into the darkness. There is a quietness even in the middle of the day. There is accetpance of each person on thier own merits, regardless of how good their kit is, or thier shape, or any of the things that are deemed important outside the gates. There is a joy about the egular faire patrons and the performers, and the booth owners.

And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who has a
formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

I go as a paying patron. And willingly so.
Thanks for the input!

FrancescaWench something ('Tis in the post)

sabr...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98

"Isabella" <devi...@gte.net> wrote:
> We've had several discussions that touched on why people go to faire--the
> food, the friends, the guys in tight pants.... So here's a formal
> question:
>
> What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you primarily go
> to faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire? (For
> example, you went the first time cause you wanted to see a juggler but now
> you spend all your time drinking ale)

<snip>

The things I value most about faire are the comeradarie, my friendships, and
the way that faire takes me out of my otherwise hectic and not always
enjoyable daily life. I love getting to play someone completely different
for a day or two out of every week.

The first time wnet to faire was as a member of the Reveler's Guilde at the
Virginia Faire in the 1997 season. A friend of mine dragged me kicking and
screaming, to rehearsals saying "you'll like it! Don't worry!" I rapidly got
over my shyness, met a great many wonderful people and had a marvelous time.
I've been addiceted ever since. Although I did not participate in VA faire
this year,(way long and unhappy story) I have hit several of the other east
coast faires,including GA, Sterling and even NJ, and will be buying a season
ticket for Maryland.

I go to faire to sdpend time with my friends, I also enjoy the swordplay, the
shopping (I like pointy, shiny things) and especially the Singing. I
especially love faires where playtrons get to sing along, or contribute a
verse if they know one. I also love to have characters come up and play,
(Sterling was a great one for that!)

I think that about sums it up for me.

> Allison Williams

-
Raphael Yedwab
aka "Rafer Madness," "Yedi Master," "Lawrence
Tyler" "Master Klutz" and "Hey You!"

JP at work

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
>What do you most value about your faire experience?.....

These thoughts are as they come, no certain order....

Well, originally I went just because it was cool to see people in armor,
swinging swords, got to touch a bunch of swords, etc. After My first event,
some 6-7 years ago at age 15, I was hooked! I go for it all, the live
shows, the crafts, the women, the people and friends.

This year is the first year I've ever gone as <shudder> a patron. Every
year prior I'd gone as either a volunteer, serving beer and soda, or as
cast. I really didn't know what to do....... I think I'm gonna hunt out
some kinda work at Scarborough, TRF, and Hawkwood next year........ As a
patron, there isn't as much of a sense of being a part of the spectacle...
its kinda just seemed like sitting back and letting it all happen.......
I've been paid, worked for free, whatever.

As a teenager, I never had any money for proper garb, and did the open-sided
t-shirt thing, shamefully hiding my jeans under the bar.... when I started
serving beer at age 17 (no one asked my age... they just assumed.....) I
made enough cash in tips to purchase a full set of garb.

I always enjoyed staying over nights at the sites..... hanging out with some
of the travelers, talking about places we'd been, music, whatever. Rennies
tended to be a bit more weird than Mundania, so I felt like I fit in....

The arts and crafts are always amazing, the musicians, minstrels, and other
performers so creative...... can't imagine what'd be like without having
those kind of people in my life.....

Gregor Orpheus Dimitris
Bartender

Jas

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
When I first went to faire, my cousin brought me; and I went back
because of the excitement of being part of a HUGE production. It dawned
on me the 2nd or 3rd year that I was going back to be with people. The
family atmosphere; the joy of all those rowdies getting together and
reliving a time of honor and joy of life.

Now that I'm returning to Ren faires, I was looking for the fun I'd
missed all these years, and have already found that I'm looking forward
so much to seeing those folks I've played with this year! (Lara, Brad,
Rachel, Erin, Clay, Craig, Morgan, etc).

It really is the people.

Or maybe it's the water.

;]
--
NOTE: SPAM block in place! *LOOK* before you email!

Ptp grad

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
>What do you most value about your faire experience?

The sense of home at MD, the ability to play in a character for an entire day.
My friendships developed over the years. And the laughter and tears both on
and off the streets.

>Why do you primarily go
>to faire?

I love dressing up and being the character, but mostly for the friends I meet.
I wouldn't have gone to the other two faires I went to this year, if it wasn't
to meet all of this gang.

>And is this different from why you first went to faire?

Acutally it is mightly similar. I went with a friend who was a long time
attendee years ago and fell in love with the atmosphere and the street
characters. I saw one or two shows tops, but it just felt comfortable. I
remember being new to flirting then too, I was far from suave. ("excuse me
sir, what did you say?", "I said thou lookest most beauteous this day!" , "oh,
oops?")

>Booths?

Originally clothing and chatchka, now accessories for costuming, gift ideas,
and useful home things like glasses and such. Hair accessories and the like.
Ya know?

>Costumed street characters?

Can't really say on this one, they are my friends mostly, but at the faire I
DIDN'T work at, I had fun playing with them. Being in character on street is
second nature, don't drop the accent when working and rarely do while playing.

>Stage acts?
Was my big attraction when I first worked MD. Still love seeing the shows,
though they often change. The Pub Sing was my biggest love, my booth knew that
I would be off the clock come 6 so I could make it to the pub for the event, I
still don't miss a show unless I HAVE to.

>Music (on or off a stage)?

Pub sing again, though I went to see the Pyrates and the Balladeers my first
years. other music I like on the streets, adds a more festive atmosphere to
the situation.

>Food?
I like MD's food, VA's was eh. Don't remember much about Co's or Pa's. I LOVE
the canterbury pork pocket at MD, and the soup in a bowl ( bread) and the steak
on a stake...and the frozen slushie fruit drinks and lemonade. I think it's
almost time for dinner.

>The Joust?

Never saw one until I had to be at one every day since I was in court. They
bored me to tears. But I like MD's troupe since they fight in sooth, that is
exciting cause there is such skill involved. More challenging.

>Hang-out time with your buds?

Now this is the biggest thing for me, though it was always a major factor. Of
course I can't "hang" when I am working at MD, but after hours or for brief
moments visiting between bits, it keeps me coming back again and again.

>Other?

The ability to use my entire vocabulary and not be afraid people think I am
being snooty, I keep using SAT words in the real world, and most people don't
follow. Or playing with words where people appreicate it. I remember one
very drunk patron tellimnd me he was so witty. I could agree with him whole
heartedly..."Aye sir, and that by half!" The other court lady with my was
greatly amused. (alright, it might not have been polite, but he didn't catch it
at all, it was very subtle, and it gave me a chance to "compliment" him and get
away).

You know I am a performer, but hey for posterity, I am a performer. See you in
10 days.
Michele
Columbina Andreini,
Teatro di Pecorino Romano--when all you need is a little cheese
and this year's happy show, "Death, the Next Best Thing to Being There!"
A.F.R. Goddess Of Love

Richard Maritzer

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Isabella wrote:

> We've had several discussions that touched on why people go to faire--the
> food, the friends, the guys in tight pants.... So here's a formal
> question:
>
> What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you primarily go
> to faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire? (For
> example, you went the first time cause you wanted to see a juggler but now
> you spend all your time drinking ale)
>
> Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)
> Costumed street characters?
> Stage acts?
> Music (on or off a stage)?
> Food?
> The Joust?

> Hang-out time with your buds?
> Other?

> And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who has a
> formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

Seems sorta skewed to the patron, but for *me*:

Entertaining the crowds
Flirting
After Hours Partying
in that order. mostly.

richard "No, that's just my codpiece, but I *am* happy to see you" maritzer

SnowCat

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Isabella wrote:

> What do you most value about your faire experience?

That I get to run away and see friends, maybe catch a new show, meet new people.

> Why do you primarily go to faire?

To escape RL. To not have to be falsely polite to people for extended periods of
time.

> And is this different from why you first went to faire? (For example, you
> went the first time cause you wanted to see a juggler but now you spend all
> your time drinking ale)

I was introduced to faire by a friend, made friends with her acquaintances, and
loved it from the first weekend I went (summer of '91?)

> Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

Love Skychairs, I look at the clothing booths, but will sew it myself; look at
the steel toys but nothing has really captured my fancy - they all pretty, but
nothing yet. Hang at one of the leather booths. OMIGOD - is that hair stuff -
must buy. don't go near the games - i know their not in my favor.

> Costumed street characters?

I like when they interact when I'm running around with faire novices (brought a
4 1/2 y.o. this weekend - the Queen talked w/her). No need to play with them
when I'm by myself - they've got better people to interact with (i.e.
non-costumed patrons)

> Stage acts?

Heard someone say that in their many years of faire they have never seen any of
the shows. What's the point. I try to see two or three shows a day. try to see
everything by the end of the run. I've paid for it, i'm gonna go see it.

> Music (on or off a stage)?

gives street flavor, I've bought tapes, never really stopped to listen to any
one act for an extended period of time.

> Food?

Food is a scary concept at faire for me. I'm a vegetarian, and i don't consider
cheese fries and a coke lunch. It's getting better though lately.

> The Joust?

I try and see it once or twice a year, but it gets old fast.

> Hang-out time with your buds?

lots of time doing this. Faire is usually my vacation time.

> Other?
>
> And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who has a
> formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

Going to Faire is a time for me to relax and drop away from many of my RL
responsibilities. I'm inaccessible at site (it's a black hole for my pager), so
I don't have to worry about being late for anything, called here, go and do that
there.

> Thanks for the input!
>
> Allison Williams

Your welcome.

--
SnowCat
Wench #48 Mail = snowcat (at) wench (dot) org

Beckville

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
Greetings and Salutations:
I am a Lurker brought out of hiding by this question.
I have been attending and working at RPFN since 1969.
The real reason why I come back year after year is the fantastic
charge of creative energy I receive at the Faire! For months I write stories
about the Faire, I use the rich beauty of the faire in my art work. The people
are friendly and sometimes there is a kind gentleman who flirts with me!
It is the unsurpassed source of light in my life!
Thank you- and Bless you all!

Robin of Ely

WENCH18

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
Why do I go to Faire??

Contrary to popular belief...it is not the naked time.

It was, is, and always will be the people. The patrons, the danes, the newbies,
the actors, the merchants, the costume nazis, the drama mongers, the owners,
the history buffs, the "there just for the after hour fun" crowd, the english,
the celts, the fighters, the lovers, the shy ones......

I love them all. Even the ones I haven't met yet. Even the ones that make me
pull my hair out.

No where else have I been able to meet and converse with such a wide variety of
people.

I will never give it up.

NY gang...just tell Styles that if he is still waiting to quit doing Faire when
I get bored....He has an immensely long wait ahead of him.

Mistress Bethany
Wench, Mommy, Goddess
Vice Madam IWG
Wench Walk Drill Seargeant
Buffy, Peasant Militia Wench Wrangler, Taxer of Tankards and Bold
Attacker Au Naturale
Keelitoris Stutterica of Sarcastica, Demi-goddess of All Naked Time

HawkwoodGM

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
I go to faire to escape from the frenetic pace of my regular, technology
drenched life. That's about it, just to get away from the noise and the pace.
My most favorite thing to do at faire is just stroll sloowwwwllllyyyyy along
and soak up the atmosphere, watch the people playing. This is sometimes
interrupted by sitting and watching a fun show.

James Echols
General Manager (Vice-President of Operations)
Hawkwood Medieval Fantasy Faire
http://members.aol.com/hawkwoodgg/hawkwood.htm
Keeper of the Day of Off

Calyn of the High Woods

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 21:55:20 -0400, "Isabella" <devi...@gte.net>
wrote:
>What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you primarily go
>to faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire? (For

>example, you went the first time cause you wanted to see a juggler but now
>you spend all your time drinking ale)

It has been said befor, but for me it is the chance to escape the
modern world, and participate in that special magic that faire has. I
just haven't found anything else quite like it.

>Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

My god, he ddn't mention sharp pointy objects. Not that, I meant
swords and daggers. Jeez, get your minds out of the gutter. :)

>Costumed street characters?

The friendlier and more active, the better.
>Stage acts?

Good stage combat, falconry, and the Ficklebitches.

>Music (on or off a stage)?

On. I can't really judge though,the faires I've been to recently
leave a little to be desired in the wandering minstrel area. I'm
going to Hawkwood though, that should change. Doing a happy dance.

>Food?
Sometimes

>The Joust?

Yes.

>Hang-out time with your buds?

Meeting new buds. Making faire friends.
>Other?

>And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who has a
>formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

Patron 3 years, volunteer one.

Calyn of the High Woods
Acolyte of the A.F.R. Goddess of Steel
Rogue #132
"And while they did live happily ever after, the point
gentlmen, is that they lived.""Ever After:A Cinderella Story"

"The lasses have got to respect a man who can blow,
finger, and squeeze, all at the same time." Scottish Rogues

Jenny Spratt

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
A fine question:

>What do you most value about your faire >experience? Why do you
primarily go to faire? >And is this different from why you first went to
>faire?

Well, I love the feeling of excitement, the feeling that I am welcome
here. I love the smells, the color..... I especially enjoy the music.
There are few places today where one can hear both harp music and bawdy
pirate songs. I love the booths, too, people at faire are really proud
of what they're selling. It's a nice contrast to a modern store.
Everyone is happy and willing to share it with others. People come out
of their shells and play. Its really different from walking down a
street in a city. No one even looks at anyone else. But at faire,
people acknowledge your presence. And besides, there aren't many
places where you can flirt madly and not end up worrying about sexual
harassment. (And of course, I value the men in tights... hee hee)

Jenny Spratt
Mistress of all things recorder

NORMTUBA

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
James Echols posted:

>I go to faire to escape from the frenetic pace of my regular,
technology>drenched life. That's about it, just to get away from the noise and
the>pace. >My most favorite thing to do at faire is just stroll
sloowwwwllllyyyyy along
>and soak up the atmosphere, watch the people playing. This is sometimes
>interrupted by sitting and watching a fun show.

Amen, James. It is my getaway too, my sanity check.

Kirby

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
HawkwoodGM wrote:

> I go to faire to escape from the frenetic pace of my regular, technology
> drenched life. That's about it, just to get away from the noise and the pace.
> My most favorite thing to do at faire is just stroll sloowwwwllllyyyyy along
> and soak up the atmosphere, watch the people playing. This is sometimes
> interrupted by sitting and watching a fun show.

Key word here: escape. I enjoy things that can take me away for a short
while. I remember doing research on delinquency (don't ask why would
that subject interest me ; )...) and coming across the phrase "sensation
seeking individuals". The characteristics definately hit close to
home. This probably also has something to do with my passion for
falconry.

Faires are magical for me. I enjoy different things on different
days--sometimes shows, sometimes shopping, sometimes just hanging out
(and I should add, sometimes working!). I enjoy the *whole* experience.
I always leave with a smile on my face.
--
Laura K. (AFRWWGOS & SSAKU)
aka Ruby of the clan MacDóbhran

***Remove NOSPAM to reply***

...and I am awaiting, perpetually and forever,
a renaissance of wonder. --Lawrence Ferlinghetti

gyrefalcon

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
"Isabella" <devi...@gte.net> :
,
>We've had several discussions that touched on why people go to faire--the
>food, the friends, the guys in tight pants.... So here's a formal
>question:
>
>What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you primarily go
>to faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire? (For
>example, you went the first time cause you wanted to see a juggler but now
>you spend all your time drinking ale)

What I most value at the faires is the atmosphere. I feel totally in
my element and safe to do so. The people are wonderful, the feel of
it is luxurious, it is what I was meant to do.

>Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

I usually look at them all, and wish I had just won the lotto

>Costumed street characters?
Play time!!!

>Stage acts?
I usually try to catch a few. Love the Flaming Idiots, and many
others too numerous to name

>Music (on or off a stage)?

LOVE IT!!!!

>Food?
What's this? (hardly have time to eat during hours)

>The Joust?
Once in a while

>Hang-out time with your buds?

absolutely!!!!

>Other?
>
>And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who has a
>formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

Worker.

>Thanks for the input!
>
>Allison Williams

Ah, well. Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.
David Brin

Kim L. Christensen AKA Katya Dobhranova
Wench # 353!!!
A.F.R. High Priestess of Mead
Potion Maker to the Goddess of Love, Drinker of the Exotic Night
Member of the AFR Guild of Dreamers and Minstrals
Lazarah of Sarcastica, Acolyte of the phrase "you may now kiss my grit!"
gyrefalconD...@mindspring.com

Courtney Deines-Jones

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98

>What do you most value about your faire experience?
As a patron, just being able to wander about and meet people or watch
shows or whatever -- no stress, no problem. This will be my first year
as a performer, and so far I am looking most forward to being able to
help patrons capture that feeling of innocence and fun. Even the
bawdyness at faire is largely fun and innocent (the few exceptions only
serve to prove the rule) and I appreciate that.

>Why do you primarily go
>to faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire?

This year, I will be going because it's my job. And on some days, no
doubt, that really *will* be the primary reason. I first went because
a friend dragged me. I met a woman as an actor whom I now know as a
performer colleague, a court actor who epitomized exactly how one
*should* behave with patrons. I drank, spent too much, and was
hooked.

>Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

Most of the stuff I like is the high-end stuff I can't afford. I
like the booths where they demonstrate their craft and where they
like it enough to want to talk to people about their work.

>Costumed street characters?

Strangely, although I will *be* a street character, I don't usually
interact too much with them. I usually am in costume and my costumes
are upper class late medieval, which kind of puts off most of the
characters, villagers and court alike. Also, I can understand why
from a performer's point of view it's a bit of a risk to go up to
someone in garb. For one thing, we're not supposed to spend a lot of
time with any one patron, because we're there to entertain thousands,
and people in costume may be more likely to want to talk to you at
length. Also, the other patrons may not know the difference and think
that you are two performers and that you're being clique-ish. And I've
been told that unfortunately some people in costume *really* want to
live out their fantasy life and it can be not only time-sucking but
also *very* uncomfortable trying to extract oneself from them.

>Stage acts?

I am a sucker for sword swallowers, rope walkers, jugglers, sword
fighters, comedians, magicians, and troubadors. Oh, and men with long
hair. So yeah, the chance to sit and ogle is a good thing.

>Music (on or off a stage)?

Love the troubadors. Also love tavern music.

>Food?

Beer. Working, of course, that avenue of pleasure is closed off to
me.

>The Joust?

I like the jousts of skill, because you often don't know who will win,
while the other jousts are usually written into the story line and are
also choreographed to reduce the chance of injury to horse or rider.

>Hang-out time with your buds?

Strangely, although I do go with friends from time to time, I prefer to
go alone. Not certain what that says about my virtue, but hey, the fair
ground is under the protection of the King (or Queen) so I suppose I'm
safe.

>Other?

I really like making costumes. Of course, now that I'm a worker, I can't
wear any of them! Maybe I should start wearing them to work on "casual
Friday..."

>And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who has a
>formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

At MDRF beginning this year, worker. At all other fairs, patron. Although
I find myself going into concierge mode even at other events when people
assume that because I'm in costume I work there.

>Thanks for the input!

A pleasure to give it.

-- Courtney

Pyratepeg1

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
James Echols didst pen:

I go to faire to escape from the frenetic pace of my regular, technology
drenched life. That's about it, just to get away from the noise and the pace.
My most favorite thing to do at faire is just stroll sloowwwwllllyyyyy along
and soak up the atmosphere, watch the people playing. This is sometimes
interrupted by sitting and watching a fun show.

To which, I reply by saying:
James...you're the GM and you have time to relax??? Wow. I have never even seen
our Entertainment Director, or any of the other "in charge" folks sit down. How
do you do it?

JP at work

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98

WENCH18 wrote in message
<199808200155...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

>Why do I go to Faire??
>
>Contrary to popular belief...it is not the naked time......

<wondering what Ive been missing all these years.......>

Gregor

Cyd

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
What do I love? The suspension of reality...

I go to the faire to be someone else... I originally went because it was
something to do on a weekend with a bunch of friends... Now I go because I get
fully into the character and stroll around like a wandering minstrel or act
funny in front of the mundanes... I do a parade in Mt. Holly every year, and
when I go out there, I'm always asking the children "by what wondrous magic do
those round objects get kept in the sky?" (i.e. baloons) and things like that.
It's fun to be someone else for a day, even as you have to return to the
mundane life later... Programming anyone?

Lady Celena of Raritan

Takest out thy REMOVE to reply to me... Spammers be not welcome here...
Minstrel of Scarlet Cross and Keeper of Flames
"Life IS pain, princess! Anyone who says otherwise is selling something..."
-The dread pirate Roberts

WynJara221

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
I have only been going to faire for two years now, but I can safely say I'm
addicted. Why? I think because I always enjoyed dressing up and talking with
interesting accents :) It's the only place I can act like a kid and fit right
in. I love the booths, even when broke there's always stuff to look at and
drool over (and maybe con someone into buying for me). What caught me first
was the fact that the men will bow and step out of your way:) Not likely to
happen these days.

WynJara
Lotta Gotya Digitalia of Sarcastica, Demigoddess of the (non)Census
Cuddles of the Peasant Militia, Creator of Diversio
"First thing we do, is kill all the lawyers."
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/3709/index.html

Kathleen Heinz

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
On 20 Aug 1998 08:41:50 GMT, norm...@aol.com (NORMTUBA) wrote:

>James Echols posted:

>>I go to faire to escape from the frenetic pace of my regular,
>technology>drenched life. That's about it, just to get away from the noise and
>the>pace. >My most favorite thing to do at faire is just stroll
>sloowwwwllllyyyyy along
>>and soak up the atmosphere, watch the people playing. This is sometimes
>>interrupted by sitting and watching a fun show.
>>

>Amen, James. It is my getaway too, my sanity check.

I'm in total agreement on that point. I can hardly wait until the
28th when I wave goodybye to 32 for four weeks. ::happy dance to the
parking lot, gets into car and takes off in a cloud of dust . Grabs
costume, packed suitcases, dog, dog supplies. Heads north on I 5::
--
Kathy Heinz
aka Kat Darnwell

Fredrick & Ivy

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98

Pyratepeg1 wrote:

> James Echols didst pen:

> I go to faire to escape from the frenetic pace of my regular, technology
> drenched life. That's about it, just to get away from the noise and the pace.
> My most favorite thing to do at faire is just stroll sloowwwwllllyyyyy along
> and soak up the atmosphere, watch the people playing. This is sometimes
> interrupted by sitting and watching a fun show.
>

> To which, I reply by saying:
> James...you're the GM and you have time to relax??? Wow. I have never even seen
> our Entertainment Director, or any of the other "in charge" folks sit down. How
> do you do it?

Well, I won't speak for him at Hawkwood, but he does go to other faires as a patron
ya know. You can't exactly get great ideas for running a faire without having seen
how they work in action.

Cheers and all that rot...
Lady Druantia aka Ivy MacDóbhran
Wench #322, Madame
Drucilla of Sarcastica, DemiDark Goddess of the Green Cures
Point of Contact for the AFR Invasion of Hawkwood Sept 26-27, Ticketmistress
http://www.geocities.com/wellesley/1417/hawkwood.html

HawkwoodGM

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
In article <199808201324...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
pyrat...@aol.com (Pyratepeg1) writes:

>To which, I reply by saying:
>James...you're the GM and you have time to relax??? Wow. I have never even
seen
>our Entertainment Director, or any of the other "in charge" folks sit down.
>How do you do it?
>

>Lynn

Well, actually, Lynn, I was referring to what I do at OTHER people's faires,
not my own. BUT, I will say this. I have long maintained that if I am doing
my job right, then I will have nothing to do on the weekends. What I mean is
that most of my work takes place _between_ the actual shows. Once we get to a
show day, that's it, I'm done, there's little I can do at that point. I don't
like "fires", you know, emergencies that require some management input. I like
everything well organized and running like a well-oiled machine. My philosophy
is to hire good people, train them in exaclty what they need to do (as much as
they need of such) and stay the hell out of their way. And I must say that,
despite all the hassle this year has been, I must have gotten really lucky.
This past weekend I got to see five (5!!) shows. That's right, I just sat
there and watched the entire show. At one point on Sunday I almost got bored
sitting in the office waiting for the radio to go off. I had to get my lazy
butt up out of the office and go find something to do, so I watched a checkers
match. Our Personnel Manager had so much spare time that she worked on the
employee database during the faire day. We have an absolutely fabulous crew
working for us this year. They are just plain kicking butt. They get out
there, do their stuff and don't make a big deal out of it. Really amazing
kids. So, anyway, maybe I am missing something that other management knows
that I should be doing on the weekends, but basically my crew rule and they
make my life way easier (maybe a bit too easy). And Jeff (because I know
you're reading this), you can tell everyone I said so!

Whoops, sorry about that, boy did I go off. Well, I am just so proud of my
people this year that I can hardly contain myself.

And, one last little bit that is actually in response to Lynn's comment. I
think it is VERY important for management to be "on the ground" during their
faire. They need to get out and get into it to really get a feel for what is
going on. So, our management does that. Heck, our Cast/Entertainment Director
even does lane bits with the patrons.

Sincerely (as he can be),

Stephanie Guaiumi

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
> What do you most value about your faire experience?

I was hooked within ten minutes of my first Faire - RPFN - in 1996. Something
about that feeling of real immersion in another place and time - I find it
exhilarating. Also, in costume, I feel more free to "play" and let out my
whimsical side. I usually go with my daughter, now 7, so I get to experience
her pleasure vicariously too. It kind of doubles the fun.

I always enjoy meeting new and different kinds of people, and faire seems to
bring out the "neighborly" side of people, whether patrons or participants.
Also, especially with my daughter, something unexpected always happens, and it
usually turns out to be the highlight of the day. For example, last year,
(whilst in garb) she took it upon herself to hawk for the bells and ribbons. It
was a kick, and certainly the highlight of that day for me.

> Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

With the daughter - games, games and more games. On my own, so far, mostly garb
and related, but starting to branch out

> Costumed street characters? Enjoy some bits, but usually too much other stuff
> going on

> Stage acts? yes, although the day sometimes goes so quickly (RPFN is pretty
> big) that I don't get to all the shows I would like to.

> Music (on or off a stage)?

have not really paid attention to this, except a few street musicians

> Food?

RPFN has a good variety of food, and most of it is decent. I have a real sweet
tooth, so I really appreciated the excellent baked goods at Great Lakes
Rennaissance faire in Ohio. It might be nice if RPFN had more in the way of
"homemade" goodies.

> The Joust?

Never seem to have time, and my daughter gets too ancy

> Hang-out time with your buds?

just really starting to meet people at Faire this year; often bring the friends
with

> And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who has a
> formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

Patron, so far - hopefully volunteer at some point

- Stephanie

NORMTUBA

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
>last little bit that is actually in response to Lynn's comment. I>think it is
VERY important for management to be "on the ground" during their>faire. They
need to get out and get into it to really get a feel for what is
>going on.

Not only Faire, but every other business. I can't tell you how many of my
bosses in the past 25 years (I work for Uncle Sam) have kept their gluteus
maximii firmly planted in their chairs and never go around and find out what is
going on in the operations over which they are supposedly in charge. Then
they profess great surprise when something they should have known about goes
wrong. PAH!!!

WENCH18

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98

I post a whole paragraph of my innermost feelings of love for all of you
rennies and the only thing anyone sees is the phrase..."Naked Time."

SIGH

Oh...and the answer to what you were missing....not much.

Pyratepeg1

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
James didst reply to me by saying:

Well, actually, Lynn, I was referring to what I do at OTHER people's faires,
not my own. BUT, I will say this. I have long maintained that if I am doing
my job right, then I will have nothing to do on the weekends.

Snip, snip, snippety, snip...

So, anyway, maybe I am missing something that other management knows that I
should be doing on the weekends, but basically my crew rule and they make my
life way easier (maybe a bit too easy).

I had completely forgotten about other festivals. It has been so long since I
went to one that I was not working. As for what you should be doing...why, the
answer would be, whatever it is you have found to work for you. Just keep in
mind that my experience is 90% Maryland...a large faire, with a large site, a
large cast, a large crowd, and a million little things that cannot be prepared
for prior to the opening of the gates. Our E.D. has also worked as Director and
performer with her own company, "Shakespeares Skum" over the years, the
Associate Director has been busy Directing and performing in many in house
productions, including the nightly Pub Sing. Ceej, the right arm of the faire
is out there, walkie talkie in hand dealing with everything, and the Major High
Domo, the General Manager for MD. is literally everywhere at once...or so it
seems anyway, considering how much all those Smith brothers seem to look alike.
To me, without my glasses on anyway...but then, I suppose many people well in
excess of 6 feet might appear so to someone who has not broken 5 feet and needs
glasses.

VLR

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
> > What do you most value about your faire experience?

I value the friends I've made, and look forward with great anticipation
to each faire I attend for the opportunity to see them again.

I like the shows, the shopping, the suspension of reality and such, but
for me, the *real* draw is people like you folks. I've never felt such a
sense of *belonging* as I do when I'm with all y'all.

Thanks.
--
Wassail!

Marsaili the MeadWench, AFR Goddess of Brewing
Blunderita of Sarcastica, Priestess of the Church of Alice,
"We know it's Stoopid, that's why we're here!"
Meadwenchicus bootlegitus, Quencher of parched throats and carrier of
the cool air.
Honey, Official Mead Wench of the Peasant Militia, Bearer of Tasty
Beverages and Dowser of the Fires of Life

aka vicky/Geillis
Remove spamwich to reply.
http://www.bigfoot.com/~marsaili
I am Lancelot of Borg. Resistance is feudal.

PotWench

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
It's a place where I can *be* female, get treated female & look female! I
just love it! *vbg* And very unlike today's so-called standards of how a
woman should "be"..... Why be a woman & be treated like a man? Ugh.....

The rest of faire is just icing on the cake. *vbg*

Debra - PotWench
potw...@NOSPAM.jps.net
http://www.jps.net/potwench
Wench #373
Demi-Goddess of Clay Whimsies, mangling clay bits with pride

Jas

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
PotWench wrote:

> It's a place where I can *be* female, get treated female & look female!

I can't imagine you looking "UN-female"! ;]
--
NOTE: SPAM block in place! *LOOK* before you email!
--
Jas [Lochlainn] O'Growney
"Melodious Musicker, Banisher of Babble and Bringer of Blissfulness"
(Thanks, Lara!)
Solo Acoustic Progressive Vocals & Guitars
I.S. Analyst - Butte County - Public Works

potw...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98

> PotWench wrote:
> >
> > It's a place where I can *be* female, get treated female & look female!
>
> I can't imagine you looking "UN-female"! ;]
>
> Jas [Lochlainn] O'Growney
> "Melodious Musicker, Banisher of Babble and Bringer of Blissfulness"
> (Thanks, Lara!)
> Solo Acoustic Progressive Vocals & Guitars
> I.S. Analyst - Butte County - Public Works

<BLUSH!!!!!!>

Debra - PotWench
potw...@NOSPAM.jps.net
http://www.jps.net/potwench
Wench #373
Demi-Goddess of Clay Whimsies, mangling clay bits with pride

Unicorn

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98

>What do you most value about your faire experience?

I go basically for the social atmosphere. I enjoy being with people who
have most of the same interests that I do.

Why do you primarily go
>to faire?

See above.

And is this different from why you first went to faire? (For
>example, you went the first time cause you wanted to see a juggler but now
>you spend all your time drinking ale)

The first time I went was in response to what I had read in Mercedes
Lackey's "Knight of Ghosts and Shadows", believe it or not. Also, I had had
a little experience in reenactments and Medieval Feasts while living in
England, so I was curious as to all the hoopla concerning the Faire.

>Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

I usually try to visit them all, just to see what is available, but I
usually haunt clothes, jewelry, and musical instrument shops the most.

>Costumed street characters?

Sometimes I interact with them, (at least more here recently) but usually I
just sit back and watch when I am just being a patron. I usually get it all
out of my system when I am performing, so I just let those patrons who don't
perform have the fun.

>Stage acts?

I enjoy the acrobatics more than the musical, although I do enjoy hearing
the music while passing by. It certainly helps set the mood.

>Music (on or off a stage)?

See above...

>Food?

Food is ok, great for when I am hungry, but not a necessary factor to my
enjoyment of the faire.

>The Joust?

I rarely watch a joust, primarily because I usually have trouble hearing the
dialogue... The horses are pretty though... Guess I am just not much into
violence, real or staged...

>Hang-out time with your buds?

This is my favorite thing. Just being able to do all of the above with a
ren-buddy, especially during pub sing or some other interactive event.

>Other?

>And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who has a
>formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

Both, depending on the Faire. I "work" at VARF, but patron to MDRF.

Dra...@rocketmail.com

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
In article <35ddb...@blushng.jps.net>,

"PotWench" <potw...@NOSPAM.jps.net> wrote:
> Why be a woman & be treated like a man? Ugh.....

Actually, I have always been quite proud of being "all the woman you could
ever need and twice the man you could ever be." One of my favourite things
about faire is that I am not treated like a delicate little flower, but as an
equal. I find that seriously lacking in the world outside of faire.

Dranaan
WEnch #94
Who is proud to be a woman and prouder to be a strong one

Jessica Gaitan

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

In answer to Isabella's questions:

You know, the funny thing is, I'm not exactly sure how it all started.
About four years ago I went to a faire with some college friends (NJRK, I
think), then later that year I went to NYRF a time or two. Since then,
I've gone to at least one faire every year (this year it has been 5
different fairs).

But the thing is, even from those first few times (that I remember) at
NJRK and NYRF, I've felt so at home at ren fairs. Everything seemed so
familiar. I think I may have gone to one when I was a kid and just have
forgotten (and since I lived near NYRF for about three years, it is
possible).

And I knew before I went that I would like it - I've always been
interested in the middle ages and renaissance, I love dressing up, I love
acting and doing accents, and being silly. And Shakespeare has always been
a favorite.

What hooked me was that faire included all of the above, as well as
flirting, friendliness, live music, crafts and handmade things, magic,
juggling, swordfighting, jousting, and many other diverse shows.

But I guess, if I had to name one thing that topped all other things, it
would have to be the interactive theatre aspect of it - the big game of
pretend that we play when we enter the fairegrounds...

Including the chance to be someone else and yet more of myself at the same
time...

But, even more important, the chance to play pretend *with others* and
meet new people and make new friends in the process.

This year is my first year as a volunteer and now a paid boothie.
Eventually, I'd like to be a performer.

For once, I'll keep my post fairly short...=)

Well Met!
Jessica the Curious
aka Onora
Official NYRF Bald Mountain Leather and Dream Shoes Boothie

LCLacemker

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

In article <6rdb7d$qgk$1...@news-2.news.gte.net>, "Isabella" wrote:

>What do you most value about your faire experience? Why do you primarily go
>to faire? And is this different from why you first went to faire?

Back in the misty world of my childhood, my memory of my first faire (RPFN)
shines bright. I was eleven and wore a long calico *print* dress with short
puffed sleeves and an empire waist...I was sooo proud to be in "costume"
(heehee) Anyway, I remember a world suddenly as fun and fantastic as the books
I read. Lovely ladies in incredible gowns, daringly baring bosoms (of which I
had none and so was quite impressed by). Handsome men, some in tights, boots
and some in kilts, others in maile and armor. It was colorful, romantic and
fed my need to find something special and out of the real world's realm. I won
a scroll at an archery game that I kept for years as a remembrance.
Now, as many others do, I treasure the people I meet, most recently the
rengeeks, but really everyone at faires. I never forget the feeling of one's
first faire (and go out of my way to interact with those youngsters whose
attempt at costume reminds me on my own first efforts) and try to create as
much wonder for all as I was pleased to experience at my first faire.
In addition, I love that faire promotes arts, skills and crafts that otherwise
might vanish in the mists of time. I'm personally involved in needlework and
lacemaking (surprise!) but I treasure those other folk who preserve spinning,
smithing, and other skills of the past.
I love the flirting and romance...I love the way everyone is felt to be
beautiful/handsome/desirable, regardless of how their appearance compares to
the modern cultural idea of "beauty."

>Booths? (What kind--clothes, furniture, art, armor, leather...?)

I enjoy browsing the booths, even if the goods are not something I want or
need...I am awed by the artistic skills represented in imagery, jewelry and
weaponry. I admire (and sometimes even purchase) the garb in all its infinite
variety and craftsmanship. Most of all I respect (and perhaps eny a bit) those
folks who manage to run a ren-based business, either as their carreer or in
moments stolen from the "real world."

>Costumed street characters?

I love the colorful, bawdy, rowdy, creative folks who perform both on stage and
off, whether particpants or playtrons. I love the big-eyed wonder of children
watching grown-ups play dress-up *and* playing with them! I even enjoy the
bemused and bedazzled expressions of patrons who're startled to be "played"
with by the folks in costume.

>Stage acts?

I like 'em...even the ones that remain the same year after year...it's as if I
am meeting an old friend when I see the "Fowl Tales" or hear the tell tale
whooska whooska..and I love taking someone new to a familiar show, I get to
watch them at the funniest bits 'cause I know they're coming up!
Dancers, too, preserve an art form I admire. They practice all the time, not
just during faire...I sadly possess two left feet and don't have the gift of
quickness to learn a step, so I am awed by those who can pull off the sometimes
complex figures and routines of a dance.

>Music (on or off a stage)?

I enjoy the staged music, but I confess I prefer the intimacy of finding a
street busker. There is something truly special about standing in a tiny group
of folks and having someone share their talent just with us. I especially
enjoy those who encourage passersby to join in!

>Food?

Yes and no...I like that it is available but I often find the quality leaves a
bit to be desired, especially for the price...I've sometimes found more turkey
jerky than edible meat on a turkey leg for instance. I'd really be interested
in more period look and feel food (pasties, bread bowls, roast meats) too,
instead of more transplanted take out stands...tho I do like the ices and ice
cream and of course there is a call for vegetarine cuisine. I also want to
thank those hardy food vendors who open early to provide coffee, hot breakfast
food, coffee, juice and coffee to those of us staggering blearily about fair
site trying to get ready for the day.

>The Joust?

I love to look at the knights horses and imagine a time when those huge animals
were prized as much as lands and goods...and there is an undeniable thrill at
seeing/hearing the clash of lance and sheild. It is (or seems to me) to be
quite dangerous and I always hold my breath until it becomes obvious that no
one is seriously injured.

>Hang-out time with your buds?

Yes, especially after hours singing and dancing (period and Non) at
encampements or at tent sites. I *really* have enjoyed the recent
opportunities to hang out with the folks I've met here on the NG as well.

>Other?

The joy of sharing something I love with my family...the fun of camping *and*
time travel combined in one activity...and the chance to expose my kids to the
values and commraderie of the ren community. The sense of belonging to a group
for the same reasons I *didn't* belong while growing up...and the excuse to
indulge my fondness for pretty and pointy things. <EG>

>And are you a patron or a worker (by which I'm including anyone who has a
>formal commitment to be there for certain hours, paid or not)?

I'm a worker at smaller faires...and have been since adulthood, either
volunteering to help set up, sell tickets, empty trash cans or more currently
as a bobbin lace demonstrator. I am also a playtron at RPFN. I would
recommend the chance to participate to anyone...there is a different side of
faire seen by those who remain on site after hours or who get a glimpse behind
the scenes as a member of those who make faire possible for us all.

Lara the (long-winded) Lacemaker

AFR "Demo" Goddess of Lace
High Priestess to the God of Cynical Intellect
Holder of the Gold Star of Puns
Wench #314, Madame Cum Laude
Summa Cum Humor, Bishop of the Temple of the Smart Ass Remark
Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check?

Jas

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
LCLacemker wrote:

> >Food?
>
> Yes and no...I like that it is available but I often find the quality leaves a
> bit to be desired, especially for the price...I've sometimes found more turkey
> jerky than edible meat on a turkey leg for instance. I'd really be interested
> in more period look and feel food (pasties, bread bowls, roast meats) too,
> instead of more transplanted take out stands...tho I do like the ices and ice
> cream and of course there is a call for vegetarine cuisine. I also want to
> thank those hardy food vendors who open early to provide coffee, hot breakfast
> food, coffee, juice and coffee to those of us staggering blearily about fair
> site trying to get ready for the day.

Sorry for the piggy-back, Lara... Gee, you're stronger than you look!
;]

One of the best (OK..) ... A GREAT part of going to Lark in the Morning
Camp a couple of weeks ago was that Don Brown (the Mulah) catered the
week! I got to have baklava and turkish coffee in the morning, just
like I used to do when I worked faire in the 80's! I'm looking forward
to seeing the friends I met at Lark who will be working (and dancing)
for the Mulah this weekend!

Don't suppose any of them are online...? ;]

--
NOTE: SPAM block in place! *LOOK* before you email!

Riley Grotts

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
I find that the people, crafters and participants are the attraction for me.
I found the use of sunglasses to be a disappointing occurance at Ohio
because the eye contact was never quite assured, but all in all, it has to
be watching the people and reacting to them that gives me the most
enjoyment.

brother william

Hidewell

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98

Riley Grotts wrote:

I can relate to that. It annoys me when there are folk who have obviously spent
money on really nice garb and then go and spoil it by wearing sunglasses.... get
a hat!!!! Punters you can forgive, folk who go through lacing themselves into a
bodice, you can't.

Luv Frannie
Wench #441
Who would love to attend a wench walk, but thinks that the local wenches may
have to entice others to Ontario to have the chance.

Rowan

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Hate to disagree, but some of us have trouble dealing with too much sunlight due to
eye conditions. I would prefer not to wear them, but I cannot stand too much light.

Rowan

The Emerald Dragon

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
Rowan wrote:

What we need is for someone to come up with polarized contact lenses! I was watching
the news the other day, they now have these designer contact lenses that can have
basically any design or color on 'em that you want. Oooohh, think of the possibilities
for not only faire, but Halloween too! Hmmm, I gonna have to see if I can track down a
pair of "dragon eye" contact lenses!

The Emerald Dragon

"Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the
wolf."
Aldo Leopold