OT: New Chocolate Finds (Sinful!)

1 view

Lyonesse

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99

Well as the weather turns colder, thoughts turn to wintery foods. Thick soups,
crusty breads, fragrant cookies, rich HOT CHOCOLATE sipped before a nice toasty
fire. So all of you chocolate fiends... fasten your seat belts. I have come to
endorse two truly marvelous hot chocolate drinks.

The first is Ghiradelli's Old Fashioned Double Chocolate Hot Chocolate. I found
it in my grocery store in the coffee section... 3 tablespoons of this stuff
into 8oz of hot millk. It comes in a resealable canister rather than the little
packets. And it comes already sweetened. YUM!! I recomend a large mug and some
Redi-Whip as accessories. :-)

The second might only be available here in SoCal, I've never seen it anywhere
else. It's called "Abuelita: Authentic Mexican Chocolate Drink Mix". It comes
in funny hexagonal tablets and it takes some practice to make (you have to put
the tablet, hot milk and sugar to taste in the blender and mix it all up), but
it's worth it! It's unusual, chocolate and cinnamon and some other spice I
can't quite put my finger on. But it's delicious.

Going to sit in front of the faux-fire place with her mug,
Lyonesse
__
Tyma's one and only Irascible Sidekick
Ticklin Ma'Groin of Clan Ma'Groin fame
Ren Geek!
Wench-Jade #752
Bard #037
Tymoutta Aardvarka of Sarcastica, Why eat ants when an uncle will do?
High Priestess to the Goddess of Freaks!
Official Member of the Benevolent Ruler Clique
Proud Recipent of: Professor Money Tree's Cash Cornucopia of Bombastic Cleavage
of Doom! Award
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Official Doomette!
Visit the Doomettes Online at http://www.thelyonsden.org/doomettes
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Apostle to the Mistress of the Welcome Wagon
For AFR FAQ's click on http://member.aol.com/jmcathcart/afr.html
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ICQ #28225674 . . . TheLyonesse on AIM
http://www.thelyonsden.org
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
"Know how sublime a thing it is to suffer and be strong." - Henry Wadsworth
Longfellow
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Lin&Jim

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99

Lyonesse wrote in message <19991207233519...@ng-fi1.aol.com>...

>Well as the weather turns colder, thoughts turn to wintery foods. Thick
soups,
>crusty breads, fragrant cookies, rich HOT CHOCOLATE sipped before a nice
toasty
>fire.
(snip)

The Ghiradelli's is great! To make it even better(yes, it is possible) add a
shot of butterscotch schnapps to it. Oh,baby,baby!!

James Gillies of Talbot Hall
Rogue #300
KeeroPractika of Sarcastica
Fafnor's buddy
RenGeek
Bard #117

Bestine

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
In article <19991207233519...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,
mand...@aol.comNOSPAM says...

>The second might only be available here in SoCal, I've never seen it anywhere
>else. It's called "Abuelita: Authentic Mexican Chocolate Drink Mix". It comes
>in funny hexagonal tablets and it takes some practice to make (you have to put
>the tablet, hot milk and sugar to taste in the blender and mix it all up), but
>it's worth it! It's unusual, chocolate and cinnamon and some other spice I
>can't quite put my finger on. But it's delicious.

Ah, yes...Abuelita... great stuff, very reasonably priced down here in Texas and
available at most grocery stores (well, at least Kroger, HEB and my own personal
fave, Fiesta).

I don't use a blender. I used to use a mexican chocolate stirrer ( those interesting
wooden stick thingies with a carved, serrated rattle-looking/sounding knob at the
end). But they're hard to keep clean (the butterfat from the milk seeps into the
wood), so now I use a cheap wire wisk and it works very well. Be sure to crunch up
the tablet first, dump the knurdles into the pot o'milk, further stir/pulverize with
the wisk until it's all melted...add sugar to taste (uh, Amaretto and/or Goldschlager
works pretty nicely, too...depending on whether you're in the mood for an
almond or mega-cinnamon blast...heh heh heh).

--
Bestine
Cordelia of Sarcastica...she who brought hands across America (or was that

Robynn McCarthy

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99

>Ah, yes...Abuelita... great stuff, very reasonably priced down here in
Texas and
>available at most grocery stores (well, at least Kroger, HEB and my own
personal
>fave, Fiesta).

That stuff is amazing, haven't had any in ages, thanks for the reminder.
BTW it's fabulous mixed with some espresso or even just regular coffee.

Robynn
wenchly weasel warder (grieving for the loss of one of the herd Monday
night)
"Just grin and ferret!" - or in the case of this week, cry

Trinity Dawn

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Call me lazy but I rarely search out the speciallty hot chocolate mixes.. I
just use Swiss Miss to make my "Special Hot Chocolate" anyone can use my
"recipe" though... it's layered ::blink blink::

small handful of Mini Marsharshmellow (real ones not the dried ones)
packet of hot chocolate mix
2 andes candies (I prefer the mint/chocolate/mint ones)
HOT HOT water

Mix it all up and then add a Shot of Bailey's Irish Cream.... <eg>

That's how I like my hot chocolate : )
~~~~~~~~~~
Trinity Dawn
Cinnamon "Sin" McArgh
BOTANY???
Jani Depprovera of Sarcastica, the Mummy of Control
IWG #471 and RenGeek
~~~ Still trying to catch up and a little behind ~~~
AIM TrinityWch ~ ICQ# 24656384 (temporarily unavailable)

Megan Featherstone

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Man sometimes being allergic to chocolate stinks. 8>(
All that lovely chocolate stuff sounds soooooo wonderful. I must admit warm
milk would be so much better with a little flavor.

Megan Campbell of the Featherstone Woods
Grande Dame of the Featherstone Clan
Lover of Mead and Men ( in that order)
Wench of the Good Ship Lollipop.... Wanna Lick?
Wench # 694
IM: MeganWench
ICQ: 55772567

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. "
... John Lennon

Trinity Dawn wrote in message
<19991208184922...@ngol03.aol.com>...

Bestine

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
In article <82m9u6$eao$2...@gaddy.interpath.net>,
robynns...@interpath.com says...

>Robynn
>wenchly weasel warder (grieving for the loss of one of the herd Monday
>night)
>"Just grin and ferret!" - or in the case of this week, cry

Oh, so sorry! **hugs**

LdyBrianaG

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
Might I add a favorite....Stephen's Gourmet..they are a Utah based
company..they did food storage products but found that people kept drinking the
chocolate stuff and not storing it..It is absolutely to die for!!!! I mix it
with milk although it says to use water. It comes in around 7 flavors--I adore
the Raspberry Chocolate and the White Chocolate..the wassail is wonderful
also..they have a web site and will ship...www.hotcocoa.com.

Living in San Francisco, you would think Ghiradelli would be my
choice..nope--Stephens for me..

Lady Bri

Lady Bri
Keeper of the small pieces
Guardian of the cotton cloth
Wench #350

Peldyn

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99

>The Ghiradelli's is great! To make it even better(yes, it is possible) add a
>shot of butterscotch schnapps to it. Oh,baby,baby!!
>
>James Gillies of Talbot Hall

No, no add a splash of Amaretto! Oh, to die for!

Peldyn

Liz /cozit

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99

Megan Featherstone wrote:

> Man sometimes being allergic to chocolate stinks. 8>(
> All that lovely chocolate stuff sounds soooooo wonderful. I must admit warm
> milk would be so much better with a little flavor.

Try adding vanilla and sugar...a bit of your favorite alcohol or nutmeg
if you want. Some of the flavored syrups work pretty good, too...esp.
things like the caramel. Don't remember where you are, but there are a
lot of gourmet shops in both the OR/WA and around DC/MD that offer the
small sized syrups to try them out...cheaper to find what you like that
way.

-Elisabeth

Megan Featherstone

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
Ummm now that is a good alternative. I will try the Carmel or vanilla. I
sometimes need to stay away from sugar. It makes me nutty and rather evil! I
know weird. I think it is mostly the white processed stuff that kills me.

Megan Campbell of the Featherstone Woods
Grande Dame of the Featherstone Clan
Lover of Mead and Men ( in that order)
Wench of the Good Ship Lollipop.... Wanna Lick?
Wench # 694
IM: MeganWench
ICQ: 55772567

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. "
... John Lennon

Liz /cozit

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99

Megan Featherstone wrote:

> Ummm now that is a good alternative. I will try the Carmel or vanilla. I
> sometimes need to stay away from sugar. It makes me nutty and rather evil! I
> know weird. I think it is mostly the white processed stuff that kills me.

Well, you know...whatever your preferred sweetener is. Personally, the
sugar substitutes all do evil things to me (well....there used to be one
that was ok, but my grocery store stopped carrying it, and since I don't
remember the name now, I'm OOL)...no side effects? Bah, Humbug!

-Elisabeth

Cyd

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99

I know that in my case I can't have nutrasweet, but tha'ts another
thing altogether... However, there is a sweetner out there called
Stevia that is actually a denatured sugar, which is supposedly good.
With the exception of the US, many of the countries around the world
use it in their soft drinks. Supposedly tastes just like sugar, but
doesn't have some of the side effects. I think you can find it in
health food stores...

Lady Celena (I really should try it out one of these days...)

Robin the Scribner

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
Stevia is actually from a South American flower/plant and is not a sugar. It
is very potent. Just a drop or two of the liquid form is usually enough to
sweeten a typically-sized cup of coffee. Some people who use it report a
licorice-flavor aftertaste.

--
Robin the Scribner
Sir Robert Barton, Baron of Walden

Cyd <cydNO...@rci.rutgers.edu.invalid> wrote in message

Cyd

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
Is it? Oops, someone gave me the wrong info... *smirk* Not the first
time... *smirk*

Supposedly doesn't react with diabetics, either.

Lady Celena (just give me something that doesn't have calories, doesn't
give me cancer, doesn't kill my nervous system, and still tastes
sweet... :)

Steve Rourke

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
Where pray tell can one find this wonderous item? I would rather carry
that, than the pink packages

Cyd <cydNO...@rci.rutgers.edu.invalid> wrote in message

Cyd

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
I think you can find it in your local health food store (like GNC or
something like that). I've never purchased it myself, so I wouldn't be
sure...

Lady Celena (yeah, I gotta look into it myself...)

Megan Featherstone

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Thanks for all the good substitutes for sugar and chocolate. I will head out
to the store and get some once I get over this horrible cold I have

Glendruid wrote in message <8ZlSOE6iLW67qP...@4ax.com>...

>On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:20:22 -0800, Cyd
><cydNO...@rci.rutgers.edu.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Is it? Oops, someone gave me the wrong info... *smirk* Not the first
>>time... *smirk*
>>
>>Supposedly doesn't react with diabetics, either.
>>
>>Lady Celena (just give me something that doesn't have calories, doesn't
>>give me cancer, doesn't kill my nervous system, and still tastes
>>sweet... :)
>

>Whomever gave you the information might have confused Stevia with
>Splenda (sucralose). Sucralose is actually made from sugar but with a
>slight molecule change that makes it an "artificial sweetener" (ie. no
>calories, okay for diabetics, etc.). Another advantage being that you
>can actually bake at high temperatures with it and it doesn't break
>down into all kinda nasties like nutrasweet and saccharine will do.
>
>The only problem being, it's not available commercially in the US yet
>:) It has been FDA approved and the major manufacturing plant is in
>NJ. However, if you actually want the stuff, you have go to Canada to
>get it. There is a website that sells it but it's geared toward
>diabetics... I ordered some for my mom and tried it and it does
>actually taste like sugar, although not as sweet as sugar once baked.
>
>gee...am I babbling again?
>

>Glendruid
>(Julie)
>Ren.Geek
>Please remove the spamblock to reply.

Fredrick & Ivy

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99

Cyd wrote:

> Is it? Oops, someone gave me the wrong info... *smirk* Not the first
> time... *smirk*
>
> Supposedly doesn't react with diabetics, either.
>
> Lady Celena (just give me something that doesn't have calories, doesn't
> give me cancer, doesn't kill my nervous system, and still tastes
> sweet... :)

If it has calories, they are entirely minimal. It won't give you cancer
(and is actually beneficial to the pancreas), doesn't affect the nervous
system whatsoever (and I know persons with MS who have used it regularly
for years), and it definitely still tastes sweet (didn't note an
aftertaste here in drinks or on cereal). Go get yerself some stevia,
girl...

> "Robin the Scribner" <alph...@LOOK.FIRST.teachout.net> wrote:
> > Stevia is actually from a South American flower/plant and is not a
> > sugar. It
> > is very potent. Just a drop or two of the liquid form is usually
> > enough to
> > sweeten a typically-sized cup of coffee. Some people who use it
> > report a
> > licorice-flavor aftertaste.

--
Ivy MacDóbhran, The Elizagoth