Supercomputer Singularity FAQ

Forthminder

Feb 21, 2010, 7:25:14 PM2/21/10
Q. What is the Technological Singularity?
A. The Singularity is an approaching singular point
in time beyond which we can not predict the further
course of history because artificial intelligence and
superintelligence will change reality in ways which
we lowly human beings cannot even imagine. See
http://mindstalk.net/vinge/vinge-sing.html Vernor Vinge.

Q. What is the role of supercomputers in the Singularity?
A. Supercomputers will be the home base belonging to each
http://code.google.com/p/mindforth/wiki/SuperIntelligence

Q. Is the Singularity good or bad?
A. Being unstoppable and unavoidable, the Singularity
is good or bad only in a relative sense based on how
human society accommodates itself to the Singularity.

Q. How can we prepare for the Singularity?
A. Join in the discussions and preparations at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.super

Q. Is the Singularity a scam?
A. There is a vast and lucrative potential for scammers
to "get rich quick" off the Singularity. Consider the
anti-Communism crusades at the height of the Cold War.
Gullible, intimidated Americans attended ostensibly
"free" lectures about the Communist menace at which
apparatchiks "passed the hat" to collect monetary
donations in support of the brave efforts of the
experts on Communism to protect YOU from Communism.
The modern-day equivalent is experts who will protect
you from the Singularity if you give them your money.

Q. What news is there of the approach of the Singularity?
A. http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/11983/2010/02/

Q. What are some additional Singularity resources?
A. Google "Singularity" or follow some links below.

Singularity e-mailing list archive for 2010 February
http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/11983/2010/02/

FAQ for persons already familiar with the Singularity
http://www.rationalfuturist.com/writings/singularityfaq/

Don Stockbauer

Feb 21, 2010, 11:51:45 PM2/21/10
On Feb 21, 6:25 pm, Forthminder <menti...@myuw.net> wrote:
> Q. What is the Technological Singularity?
> A. The Singularity is an approaching singular point
> in time beyond which we can not predict the further
> course of history because artificial intelligence and
> superintelligence will change reality in ways which
> we lowly human beings cannot even imagine. Seehttp://mindstalk.net/vinge/vinge-sing.htmlVernor Vinge.

> Q. What is the role of supercomputers in the Singularity?
> A. Supercomputers will be the home base belonging to eachhttp://code.google.com/p/mindforth/wiki/SuperIntelligence

> Q. Is the Singularity good or bad?
> A. Being unstoppable and unavoidable, the Singularity
> is good or bad only in a relative sense based on how
> human society accommodates itself to the Singularity.
>
> Q. How can we prepare for the Singularity?
> A. Join in the discussions and preparations athttp://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.super

> Q. Is the Singularity a scam?
> A. There is a vast and lucrative potential for scammers
> to "get rich quick" off the Singularity. Consider the
> anti-Communism crusades at the height of the Cold War.
> Gullible, intimidated Americans attended ostensibly
> "free" lectures about the Communist menace at which
> apparatchiks "passed the hat" to collect monetary
> donations in support of the brave efforts of the
> experts on Communism to protect YOU from Communism.
> The modern-day equivalent is experts who will protect
> you from the Singularity if you give them your money.
>
> Q. What news is there of the approach of the Singularity?
> A.http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/11983/2010/02/

> Q. What are some additional Singularity resources?
> A. Google "Singularity" or follow some links below.

> FAQ for persons already familiar with the Singularityhttp://www.rationalfuturist.com/writings/singularityfaq/

Too bad the global brain is the correct model of the Earth rather than
this "Singularity" stuff.

J.A. Legris

Feb 22, 2010, 10:25:44 AM2/22/10

I fail to see how you manage to prefer one over the other, or a
million other SF-inspired scenarios. Here's a wild idea you can try
one day when you run low on pharmaceuticals : consideration of actual
evidence.

--
Joe

Don Stockbauer

Feb 22, 2010, 10:34:28 AM2/22/10

Thank you for further building the global brain, By your mere mention
of it here it has become more self-aware, and self-awareness forms
higher intelligence. Sorry that you get so pissed off about this
subject, Legris.

Hans-Georg Michna

Feb 22, 2010, 5:22:31 PM2/22/10
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:25:14 -0800 (PST), Forthminder wrote:

>FAQ for persons already familiar with the Singularity
>http://www.rationalfuturist.com/writings/singularityfaq/

Lots of intelligent-sounding nonsense there. May still be worth
a look, in case there are some truths hidden in the corners.

Hans-Georg ( http://michna.com/transition.htm )

Forthminder

Feb 22, 2010, 8:08:14 PM2/22/10
On Feb 22, 2:22 pm, Hans-Georg Michna <hans-

georgNoEmailPle...@michna.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:25:14 -0800 (PST), Forthminder wrote:
> > FAQ for persons already familiar with the Singularity
> > http://www.rationalfuturist.com/writings/singularityfaq/
>
> Lots of intelligent-sounding nonsense there. May still be worth
> a look, in case there are some truths hidden in the corners.

Yale math professor Tom McCabe makes a lot of sense;
do not dismiss him or his ideas -- at your intellectual peril :-)

Your own website cited above shows a lot of work;
please add a link to
http://code.google.com/p/mindforth or a sub-page
of your choice.

Arthur

Hans-Georg Michna

Feb 23, 2010, 3:47:12 PM2/23/10
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:08:14 -0800 (PST), Forthminder wrote:

>please add a link to
>http://code.google.com/p/mindforth or a sub-page
>of your choice.

Arthur,

that seems like a totally senseless web page to me. I've tried
to read it twice, but it still didn't make any sense and seems
completely confused. I don't know what it wants to tell me.

Hans-Georg

Forthminder

Feb 23, 2010, 5:22:49 PM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 12:47 pm, Hans-Georg Michna <hans-

georgNoEmailPle...@michna.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:08:14 -0800 (PST), Forthminder wrote:
> >please add a link to
> >http://code.google.com/p/mindforthor a sub-page

> >of your choice.
>
> Arthur,
>
> that seems like a totally senseless web page to me. I've tried
> to read it twice, but it still didn't make any sense and seems
> completely confused. I don't know what it wants to tell me.
>
> Hans-Georg

Thank you, Hans-Georg, for looking at it :-)

Arthur
--
http://mentifex.virtualentity.com/mentifex_faq.html