Question to native British english speaking people

Skip to the first unread message

jr

6 Sept 2006, 3:21:51 pm6/9/06
The following are sentences used for dictation. Are they all gramatically
correct and do they sound ok to a native British english speaking person?
They are made by my sons English teacher. (6th grade in Denmark/2nd year
english)

1. Go out and see if you can get an egg, some tea and a carrot. We will see
if they are ten.

4. Now we must go to mother to get some food. We must go for a walk too.

10 At home we only have sun from five to seven. One day I will have a house
with sun all day.

15. When he went into father's house tonight, he hit his foot on the door,
which he used to get in.

25. That man has a house himself. He is so tall, that he can reach all the
way to the top of his roof. In five years I am probably just as tall.

28. There the soft chairs are.

31......Those houses will take all the sun in my garden.

37.....She looks towards the clock and feels sorrow that I want to leave
again.

38. Go and see if that was the newspaper, which came right now. It sounded
as if. While I read it, you can make tea. There is bread right there, and
you can go to the baker's for cake, if you want.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Paul {Hamilton Rooney}

7 Sept 2006, 1:10:33 pm7/9/06
On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 21:21:51 +0200, "jr" <jraa...@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>The following are sentences used for dictation. Are they all gramatically
>correct and do they sound ok to a native British english speaking person?
>They are made by my sons English teacher. (6th grade in Denmark/2nd year
>english)
>
>1. Go out and see if you can get an egg, some tea and a carrot. We will see
>if they are ten.

No. 'We will see if they are ten' is not correct. I have no idea how to
correct it because I don't know what it is supposed to mean.

>4. Now we must go to mother to get some food. We must go for a walk too.

OK

>10 At home we only have sun from five to seven. One day I will have a house
>with sun all day.

OK. The position of 'only' is perfectly correct.

>15. When he went into father's house tonight, he hit his foot on the door,
>which he used to get in.

Most people would say 'the door that he used to get in'.

>25. That man has a house himself. He is so tall, that he can reach all the
>way to the top of his roof. In five years I am probably just as tall.

No. Should be 'I will probably be just as tall'.

>28. There the soft chairs are.

No. 'There are the soft chairs'.

>31......Those houses will take all the sun in my garden.

OK

>37.....She looks towards the clock and feels sorrow that I want to leave
>again.

OK

>38. Go and see if that was the newspaper, which came right now. It sounded
>as if. While I read it, you can make tea. There is bread right there, and
>you can go to the baker's for cake, if you want.

'just now' in Brit English. 'It sounded like it' (not 'as if', though you
could say 'it sounded as if it was'). Otherwise OK.

--

Paul Rooney

"Rooney is one of these vandals and has done his utmost to help trash dl and the
other groups which he regularly crossposts to. He's created a false FAQ
and charter" (Chris Lawrence in uk.rec.walking)

"Also long time d.l. reader but never feel robust enough to post much,
especially since Rooney wrecked the group." (Rachel Sullivan in uk.rec.walking)

"Low life scum doesn't even begin to describe you. You are the most loathsome
individual ever to cross the threshold of d.l." (JK in demon.local)

"Your continued posting here with an overlong sig perfectly demonstrates the
sort of person you are and is entirely relevant to every other post you make
in whatever newsgroup. You're a stupid, boorish, childish, little oik, with
no manners, an over-inflated opinion of yourself and nothing that I can see
to commend you to anyone...Now fuck off out of this newsgroup once and for all."
(Malcolm Ogilvie in demon.local)

Weatherlawyer

7 Sept 2006, 3:42:15 pm7/9/06

I don't think any Englishman with all his pennoies in his purse would
say any of the above except for No. 10.

> 1. Go out and see if you can get an egg, some tea and a carrot. We will see
> if they are ten.

Would be:

1. Go and see if you can get any eggs [or: get an egg], some tea and
carrots.
[new paragraph]

We will see if they are ten.

> 4. Now we must go to mother to get some food. We must go for a walk too.

mother's or: [my/our] mother's?

> 15. When he went into father's house tonight, he hit his foot on the door,
> which he used to get in.

this evening rather than tonight although most of the stuff so far is
grammatically correct.

> 25. That man has a house [to himself or his own house] himself. He is so tall, that he can reach all the way to the top of his roof. In five years I am [will probably be] probably just as tall.

> 28. There [are] the soft chairs are. [Or: The the soft chairs are there.]
>
> 31......Those houses will take [get/catch] all the sun in my garden.
>
> 37.....She looks towards [at] the clock and feels sorrow that I want to leave again.

Again? the problem with that s the tense. It sounds like it should be
in the past tense.

> 38. Go and see if that was the newspaper, which came right now. It sounded
> as if.

Wrong. That sounded like the newsper has just come. While I read it,
you can make tea. There is bread right there, and [or drop the word:
and] you can go to the baker's for [a/some] cake, if you want.

Barbara Bailey

7 Sept 2006, 4:38:49 pm7/9/06
On 7 Sep 2006 12:42:15 -0700, "Weatherlawyer"
<Weathe...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Wouldn't this be correct as it stands if they need to ask Mother,
perhaps because the pantry is locked and Mother has the key?

>> 15. When he went into father's house tonight, he hit his foot on the door,
>> which he used to get in.
>
>this evening rather than tonight although most of the stuff so far is
>grammatically correct.
>
>> 25. That man has a house [to himself or his own house] himself. He is so tall, that he can reach all the way to the top of his roof. In five years I am [will probably be] probably just as tall.
>
>> 28. There [are] the soft chairs are. [Or: The the soft chairs are there.]
>>
>> 31......Those houses will take [get/catch] all the sun in my garden.
>>
>> 37.....She looks towards [at] the clock and feels sorrow that I want to leave again.
>
>Again? the problem with that s the tense. It sounds like it should be
>in the past tense.
>
>> 38. Go and see if that was the newspaper, which came right now. It sounded
>> as if.
>

>Wrong. That sounded like the newsper has just come. While I read it,
>you can make tea. There is bread right there, and [or drop the word:
>and] you can go to the baker's for [a/some] cake, if you want.

Message has been deleted

Ted Sloan

8 Sept 2006, 6:52:09 am8/9/06
wrote:

>25. That man has a house himself. He is so tall, that he can reach all the
>way to the top of his roof. In five years I am probably just as tall.

The top of my roof is between 25 and 30 feet from the ground. I would
think the word to be used here is " ceiling ".

Paul {Hamilton Rooney}

8 Sept 2006, 8:03:52 am8/9/06

The top of the ceiling??