No electrical training - junction box question

Susan

May 25, 2003, 10:29:33 PM5/25/03
My home has several plastic type receptacle junction boxes where the
screw holes that hold the receptacle to the box are broken. They are
not simply stripped - the plastic is actually broken or cracked so the
plugs won't stay flush against the wall. Is there any way to fix this
without cutting a hole in the sheetrock and replacing the boxes? If
this IS the only way, should I replace with plastic or metal?

Thanks,
Susan

Brian

May 25, 2003, 11:54:23 PM5/25/03
Use remodel boxes.

--
If it is not broken, I cannot fix it.
If I screw with it, it will kill me.

It's Volts that jolts, but Mills that kills!

repcri

May 26, 2003, 6:23:46 PM5/26/03
>s where the
>screw holes that hold the receptacle to the box are broken. They are
>not simply stripped - the plastic is actually broken or cracked so the
>plugs won't stay flush against the wall. Is there any way to fix this
>without cutting a hole in the sheetrock and replacing the boxes? If
>this IS the only way, should I replace with plastic or metal?

I would remove the wire from the box and allow the box to then fall
into the wall.. I would then replace it with either an easy box or
an 1104 and some f-clips.. No cutting of drywall necessary and once
you put the face plate back on the receptacle you will never know
that the repair was made..

MR

May 26, 2003, 7:54:27 PM5/26/03
The box is most likely nailed to the stud. I doubt
if it will drop.

"repcri" <rep...@telus.net.spam> wrote in message

indago

May 26, 2003, 7:56:43 PM5/26/03

Get one of those roto tools with a disc cutter or roto sander and cut the
old screw holder off the box. Then, get another piece of plastic and
superglue it into place and drill a hole for another screw.

Maybe, too, just the first half inch of the hole that is there is stripped
out. If the hole plastic goes all the way to the back of the box, you can
just get a longer screw and put this into the box. If the screw hole does
not go all the way back, drill it deeper into the hole plastic.

repcri

May 26, 2003, 8:40:31 PM5/26/03
>The box is most likely nailed to the stud. I doubt
>if it will drop.

It will drop, it may take some mild persaution to seperate
it from the stud it is attached to but it can be done quite
eaisily without damaging any of the visible surface areas.
I've swapped these boxes out many a time (they are junk)
usually just a pair of side cutters, linesman pliers and a good
beating sqrewdriver is all you need...

Gfretwell

May 26, 2003, 9:30:02 PM5/26/03
I agree you can coax these thibgs off the wall. Use one of those flat iron, "
shaped" prybars. Work it in next to the box and the stud and twist. Then work
out the top and bottom screws with the tip, using the bar at an angle through
the hole. If you do get a little too agressive they make oversize plates.

BE SURE THE POWER IS OFF!