Power Save 1200

boggie

May 15, 2006, 7:49:47 PM5/15/06
Dig this,

These guys are offering a power correction box for the home and
claiming it will save you 25% on your utility bill. All it can do that
benefits you is reduce the current between your meter and the pf box
meaning a slight decrease in power lost due to the resistance of this
wiring. They are running commercials on TV claiming to save the heat
loss of motors and all kinds of ridiculous stuff.

If anyone knows of a way to get the word out to the public, now would
be a good time.

http://www.power-save.com/
http://webpages.charter.net/harkj/maaps/page11.html

Bud--

May 16, 2006, 12:38:51 PM5/16/06

"Reduces electrical bills up to 25% per month" - thats true, as worded.
"Reduce Your Electrical Bill on Average of 10 to 25% Per Month" - fat
chance.

The Federal Trade Commission might be interested, but I wouldn't bet on
it these days. I think Miss Cleo finally wound up in trouble.

On another newsgroup someone posted the patent this scam is based on.
From what I read, the amount of correction is manually set with
switches. As soon as the inductive load changes the correction is wrong.

Is there anywhere in the US where 1 or 2 family home utility metering
includes power factor penalty?

Can you get away with scams in the UK?

bud--

SQLit

May 16, 2006, 9:03:18 PM5/16/06

"Bud--" <remove....@isp.com> wrote in message

I work in the western states, I am unaware of any utility that charges PF
for residential
metering. I know of a couple that have tried to get the rate approved and
were rejected by the commissions that heard the case.

This one has been around for at least 10 years, just time to recycle it.

.

elect...@electrician2.com

May 17, 2006, 10:34:09 AM5/17/06
I know an electrician that saved on his power bill by jumping around
the meter with a couple of No. 12 wires. He got by for about 10 years.
Then the power company started monitoring meters and caught him. He
had to sell his house to pay the power bill.

Unidyne

May 17, 2006, 7:49:39 PM5/17/06

The printing plant I work for bought the house next door for future
expansion. During the demolition, it was discovered that the previous
owner had hacked into one of the junction boxes in the back lot of the
plant, and buried the wires (modified auto jumper cables) so well that
they went under the wall that seperated the lots, and we never knew he
was there (He apparently did this when the plant was closed for
Christmas holidays some years back).

We called the local utility company, and they sent a crew to take photos
and read our records to estimate how much he was sponging off of us. The
last I heard the previous owner was being criminally charged with Theft
of Services and was liable for back payment to the utility...with
interest! It may cost him more than our company paid for his property.

Michael A. Terrell

May 21, 2006, 2:14:03 AM5/21/06

Some friends of mine when I was in Junior high school family moved
into what had been the offices and maintenance buildings so their dad
could expand his motor rewinding business. He let us have one small
room for our own workshop, and there was a lot of chopped off wiring
where machine tools had been removed, so we shut off the power to the
building and started ripping it out. We noticed the man next door
watching us out his window, till we turned the main breaker back on.
Then we realized the meter was running with nothing in the building
turned on. We checked all the circuits, till we found a pair marked,
"Gasoline pumps". There was a concrete pad where the two pumps had been
removed, and he had buried wires to his house. We unhooked the wires
from the breakers and pulled the wires out of the conduit while he was
screaming at us. My friends dad showed up about then, and after the
police were called we found that the guy had worked for the construction
company for a couple years, and had run most of his house on the two 20
amp circuits, after the pumps were removed.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida