Smokey Yunick's Engine

Craig Marley

Apr 12, 2001, 1:45:42 PM4/12/01
On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:42:25 GMT, "steve spence" <ssp...@webconx.com>
wrote:

>I looked up the article, I was off by 30mpg. It was 50mpg. 250hp / 230
>ft-lbs of torque, Fiero 151-inch 4-cylinder, and it was Hot Rod magazine,
>June 1984. Smokey (Henry) never claimed over unity, and it was not
>suppressed by big corporations.

Those of us who are modifying VW TDI engines will eventually get to this
level. Over 50 mpg and 150hp/250+ torque is readily achieved. VW
engineering has developed a 170hp engine that is very fuel efficient.
With propane injection well over 200 should be achieveable with 70+ mpg.

It is too bad that most Americans have not discovered the benefits of
this little diesel engine. Some of us can ring 60+ mpg on the highway.
I have personally done over 56mpg in combined driving several times.

mw.brackenbury

Apr 16, 2001, 1:25:13 PM4/16/01
Craig
What can you tell me about propane injection. Does it raise efficiency or
just give more power? What about emissions?
I live in the UK and can't find any real info. Everyone just talks about
converting petrol engines.

Please mail to me if you wish.

Thanks
Will Brackenbury

Craig Marley <mt...@golden.net> wrote in message

Craig Marley

Apr 17, 2001, 1:27:07 PM4/17/01
mw.brackenbury wrote:

> Craig
> What can you tell me about propane injection. Does it raise efficiency or
> just give more power? What about emissions?
> I live in the UK and can't find any real info. Everyone just talks about
> converting petrol engines.
>
> Please mail to me if you wish.
>
> Thanks
> Will Brackenbury

Will:

Propane acts as a catalyst for diesel fuel and results in almost
complete burning of the fuel. Hence efficiency is raised and
mileage/power improvements result. There are a few who have done it to
their TDIs, but there is relatively little experience yet. It is more
common in diesel trucks in NA and the two systems used have been
designed for trucks. The problem with the TDI is an approved tank. Truck
owners do not have this concern. Some just strap a BBQ tank in the
back of their truck. The two systems used are:

Bully Dog:
www.Bullydog.com

Powershot:
www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/home.html