Marty: "Remixes" tarnish Elvis' legacy!

rem...@shmemixes.com

Aug 27, 2005, 7:00:48 AM8/27/05
These so called "remixes" of Elvis's classic songs are
bullsh*t. Who wants to hear Heartbreak Hotel with a hip hop beat?
Even if people do, these remixes take a great and original piece of
art and distort the idea to something Elvis never wanted.
Marty, can you help?

John Doe

Aug 27, 2005, 9:03:13 AM8/27/05
I fully agree. The remix of " A Little Less Conversation" sounded like
Elvis was in the back of a moving van. I simply wont buy the stuff.

S.

Marty

Aug 27, 2005, 2:16:50 PM8/27/05

<rem...@shmemixes.com> wrote in message

Nothing I can do about it except agree with you.

If the fans don't buy it they won't continue to do it. Otherwise BMG is
constantly devising ways to get y'all to pay for the same crap in a
different package over and over again.

Marty

Yvonne W.

Aug 28, 2005, 8:05:26 PM8/28/05
I understand where you're coming from, because I too love the originals.
But I think remixing is a way to keep Elvis' legacy alive with the younger
generation. Some of those remixes stirred interest in Elvis among the
teens, and that intest lead many of them to his movies and original
recordings. And they love Elvis. You have to move along with the times if
you want to get radio play. Elvis was always ahead of his time and changed
as he grew. As his career moved on, Elvis did too. Maybe if Elvis was alive
they wouldn't be remixing his old hits, but I think if he was still
recording he would be putting out more modern music, maybe even with a
hiphop-type or modern day R&B beat -- but the bottom would always remain
rock & roll. He paid respect to the songs that made him famous, but did not
spend a whole of time doing it. He was more focused on new music and new
sounds, always pushing the music to the limit. He was the ultimate
entertainer, and would never have accepted pumping out repeat performances
of the same material, performed the same way, year after year. He needed to
move forward.
Cher is another example of how to keep a career alive for decades -- always
changing with the times but never losing her essence. As the greatest
entertainer ever, I think Elvis would be able to do just about anything and
it would sell, but he would always essentially be Elvis.

Yvonne

Blair Kavanagh

Aug 29, 2005, 4:12:17 AM8/29/05
Very, very good post Yvonne!

Blair

Chuck

Aug 29, 2005, 4:25:16 PM8/29/05

(snip)

He was the ultimate
> entertainer, and would never have accepted pumping out repeat performances
> of the same material, performed the same way, year after year. He needed to
> move forward.
> Cher is another example of how to keep a career alive for decades -- always
> changing with the times but never losing her essence. As the greatest
> entertainer ever, I think Elvis would be able to do just about anything and
> it would sell, but he would always essentially be Elvis.
>
> Yvonne

That's all well and good, but Elvis is gone and his body of work is
finished. He's not around to keep up with the new sounds. If he had
new songs coming out, he could modify them to reflect the new sounds.
To alter his old recordings is to tamper with and bastardize history.

The only parallel I can think of is Liberace, when he would play a
Chopin nocturne, for example. He'd play the piece with all kinds of
embellishments and add an orchestral background. All that, plus his
crazy stage antics took away from Chopin's original simple and
beautiful piece for solo piano. It might have been entertaining for
some people, but he turned the music into something it was never
intended to be. It cheapens the original.

Chuck

Chuck

Hadji Derabertis

Aug 31, 2005, 2:08:09 AM8/31/05

Chuck wrote:

I disagree.
Do you feel the original of ALLC has been cheapened? Just curious.
Jason~~

Chuck

Sep 1, 2005, 2:02:55 AM9/1/05
Hadji Derabertis Aug 31, 1:08 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.elvis.king
From: Hadji Derabertis <stephen.leac...@sympatico.ca> - Find messages
by this author
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 02:08:09 -0400
Subject: Re: Marty: "Remixes" tarnish Elvis' legacy!
original | Report Abuse

Chuck wrote:
> (snip)

> > Yvonne

> Chuck

> Chuck

I don't have strong feelings about that particular remix. It was a
novelty and it was OK. But the gist of the post I was responding to
said that the remixes keep Elvis' career alive and keep him current
with the times. It is my opinion that if they continue to try to keep
Elvis' career alive with a steady stream of remixes, his legacy will be
cheapened.