Distance / Traditional school

Skip to the first unread message

S Cook

24 Mar 2003, 06:44:0624/03/2003
Looking for feedback. I am currently looking at 2 colleges that offer
pretty much the same classes. I am working on a BS in business admin. One
option is totally distance (online) and the other is totally "in class".

How are online degrees being looked at in the workforce?
How satisfied are people completing a degree on line vs. in class?
Any other thoughts of wisdom??

I have completed my Associates which was traditional in class and now going
further.

Thanks for the feedback

Marty S.

24 Mar 2003, 12:38:0324/03/2003
FWIW...

As an employer, I would be hesitant to hire someone with a college degree
earned exclusively on-line unless there were mitigating circumstances (i.e.,
the individual lived in remote Alaska or was unable to leave his/her house
for medical reasons). I think there is value in taking some courses
on-line, but in my opinion, a college education is more than just the sum of
the courses you take. It is the interaction with faculty. It is the
interaction with other students. It is the exchange of ideas and concepts
that don't make it to an on-line discussion.

On top of that, for better or worse, most employers and hiring officials are
not familar with the latest state-of-the-art distance education concepts and
methodologies. To most employers, on-line education is still foreign. If
there are two entry-level applicants -- one with traditional coursework and
one with distance coursework, I think the traditionally educated student
will get the position.

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

"S Cook" <sjc...@midmaine.com> wrote in message

Randy Harris

24 Mar 2003, 19:12:2324/03/2003
Marty, I wonder if you might be willing to expand your comments to your
position on accreditation, all else being equal. The many RA only advocates
around this forum routinely insist that all that matters is regional
accreditation and little else. I have maintained that such a position,
while perhaps prevalent in the academic world, is not held widely in the
business world. Before selecting a school to complete my BS degree, I
informally interviewed a number of HR reps at several large companies. I
was told, almost universally, that they viewed any accreditation approved by
the USDOE equally. They however, viewed traditional school degrees
preferable to distance learning, while degree by exam (ala Excelsior) they
viewed as the least desirable. Around here, that is heresy.

--
Randy Harris

"Marty S." <SkoCo...@aol.com> wrote in message

Rich Douglas

24 Mar 2003, 22:28:2424/03/2003
Ask this: How would an employer know how you completed your degree?
Generally, they don't.

I recommend you take the program that best fits your needs, schedule,
finances, study method preferences, and goals.

Good luck.

Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

24 Mar 2003, 22:32:2224/03/2003
What would his/her location have to do with it? This would not have any
influence over the type and quality of learning.

This kind of thinking displays the unsubstantiated bias against distance
learning we often see: people take distance learning courses and degrees
because they're easier, and the outcomes are not as good. Wrong on both
counts. Many studies have now shown no difference between the two learning
methods, and many students of distance learning programs report that the
method is more difficult than attending traditional classes.

The poster implies that online learning doesn't offer interaction with
faculty, yet most online courses are based on it!

Besides, how would you know how a person completed his/her degree, unless
that degree came from a school that offered only online degree programs?

Opinions are fine, but the available research draws an entirely different
picture.

Rich Douglas

Ralph Stavitz

25 Mar 2003, 19:44:5625/03/2003
Rich:

I agree with you. Online courses today are much different than they used to
be. The course work is just as hard as the face-to-face classes. I teach
both online and in the traditional classes at my college, and both my
courses are the same.

Further, at my college, there is no difference made between the two. The
diploma one gets makes no mention that courses were taken online as opposed
to those in the traditional classroom and we are a fully accredited
university. I believe this is true for most colleges which offer online
courses.

My general advice to those considering online education; find a traditional
university or college that also offers a full degree completely online
rather than a school which offers only online courses.

Ralph Stavitz

"Rich Douglas" <hrpr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Ralph Stavitz

Marty S.

25 Mar 2003, 22:19:0425/03/2003
The question, Rich, concerned "opinion", not research. As an employer now,
in the past, and in the future, it is my opinion that a degree earned
on-line is not as enriching and well-rounded as one earned substantially in
person / on campus.

I agree that distance education now is substantially different than it was
10 years ago. It will be substantially different 10 years from now, too.
In business, there is a lot to be said for learning how to interact with
groups and among groups. Working in a classroom setting, in group labs,
discussion groups, and in seminars, is extremely useful in the business and
scientific fields. All things being equal in terms of book education, I'll
hire the person that is involved on campus in student groups & activities
since they are learning to interact with the world around them. Distance
education doesn't fulfill this attribute of higher education -- learning how
to interact.

That's just my opinion. I think distance education is useful for some
endevours, but not most.

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

Nick

25 Mar 2003, 23:26:1625/03/2003

Marty, this is once again your opinion. Remember that in a classroom
the students interact in a simulated environment. By distance learning
the student is actually in his/her work situation, and gets much better
and realistic interaction with peers and his/her managers than in the
simulated classroom environment. Learning to 'interact with the world
around them'??? Which world?

I agree that if a student is not working and just sitting at home while
doing a distance course, your point has some merit. You have to keep
in mind however that most of the online courses have an adult, working
professional as student that do not have the time to visit a campus.

It is not clear whether S Cook who started this discussion is only
interested in full time study, or perhaps studying while in a work
situation. My advise would be - if you are in a situation where you
can study full time (maybe you are still living with your parents?), go
to a traditional university and enjoy the campus life. If you do not
have a full time job, there is no point in studying on-line.

Nick

---
View this thread: http://www.online-college.info/article369.html
Nick------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nick's Profile: http://www.online-college.info/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6

Henry

27 Mar 2003, 18:25:2327/03/2003
When the prospective employer asks you during the interview where you
received your Bachelor's degree or any degree for that matter, all he/she
has to do is make a phone call.
When it's a buyers market, as the current employment environment certainly
is, and the HR department is sitting on 75 resumes, you better believe
they'll take the time to make the phone call.
I believe in this market that, all things equal on the resume, if it came
down to you and another candidate, HR will choose the candidate with a
traditional education versus an on-line education candidate.
My opinion.

"Rich Douglas" <hrpr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Rich Douglas

27 Mar 2003, 19:00:3427/03/2003
Yes, but according to recently completed research I've authored (but have
not yet published), they don't check. At least, not often enough. Or is
there some other reason for the $300-million-per-year diploma mill business?

Rich Douglas

"Henry" <He...@NoSpam.net> wrote in message

Henry

29 Mar 2003, 11:05:4429/03/2003
I would think that the 300M/year diploma mill business would be a very good
reason for Human Resource personnel to confirm and verify that the applicant
does indeed have the degree he/she says he/she has. In a very healthy
economy I'd say you would be right. Last time I checked, this economy wasn't
too healthy.
Again, it's a buyers market and the buyers can be very choosy.

Henry

"Rich Douglas" <hrpr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

S Cook

30 Mar 2003, 13:42:5530/03/2003
"S Cook" <sjc...@midmaine.com> wrote in message news:<3e7ef033$1...@corp.newsgroups.com>...
> Looking for feedback. I am currently looking at 2 colleges that offer
> pretty much the same classes. I am working on a BS in business admin. One
> option is totally distance (online) and the other is totally "in class".
>
> How are online degrees being looked at in the workforce?
> How satisfied are people completing a degree on line vs. in class?
> Any other thoughts of wisdom??
>

> I have completed my Associates which was traditional in class and now going
> further.
>
> Thanks for the feedback
>

> Just for some extra information, the "Distance Education" school I'm
looking at is also a traditional school that offer a BS online as an
option. I do work Fulltime "Plus" some weeks. What I am looking for is
what others have experenced in the working world with other people
that have completed distance education. Areas like hiring after the
degrees are completed, and if other people were satisfied with thier
distance education.
Thanks for the feedback.

Scott

frank

31 Mar 2003, 18:00:1331/03/2003
While I respect your right to operate your business based on your beliefs
and opinions, I would like to offer a differing opinion. I am currently
enrolled in a ABA approved law school, working towards an LL.M degree. The
instruction is 100% online.

I agree that there is no face-to-face interaction, but that is more than
made up for by the extensive interaction with faculty and students on
discussion boards, chat rooms, white board sessions where needed, etc.. In
addition, interacting in an environment where both the faculty and the
student body is truly international, with different backgrounds and
cultural/educational values is something you don't get in a normal classroom
environment.

I have done both - and very strongly feel that a well thought out and
organized on-line school can give you an excellent education.

Just my 2 cents worth - may only be worth a penny by now.

Marty S.

31 Mar 2003, 19:35:0431/03/2003
"frank" <fr...@laczko.org> wrote in message

> While I respect your right to operate your business based on your beliefs
> and opinions, I would like to offer a differing opinion. I am currently
> enrolled in a ABA approved law school, working towards an LL.M degree. The
> instruction is 100% online.

What ABA-accredited online law school do you attend? You didn't sign your
name, your school's name or location so it is difficult to know what you
mean. As far as I know, there aren't any law schools currently accredited
by the ABA. Below is a quote from an article concerning California's
Concord Law School, a subsidiary of Kaplan Higher Education.

"While the ABA seems unlikely to accredit full online education any
time soon, it recently decided to allow for partial credit for online
classes." http://www.legaled.com/respectability.htm

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

ATT

31 Mar 2003, 20:22:3431/03/2003
Marty - you are correct so far as a JD degree is concerned. Concord offers a
JD, they are California licensed like a number of other
distance/correspondance law schools in California.

There are, however, a number of ABA approved law schoold that offer an LL.M,
which is a graduate degree (Master of Law). I happen to be attending St.
Thomas University, but as I said, they are not the only one.

My point, however, was not about accreditation, but about the fact, that at
least in my opinion as a student who has attended both methods - the
quality of the education, including the scholastic and social interaction is
on par with any face to face experience.

Frank L.

Thomas Nixon

31 Mar 2003, 20:49:1831/03/2003

Marty S. wrote:
[...]

You may have wanted to read a little more closely. He's at an ABA-approved law school, yes, but he's working on an LL.M. and not on a J.D. This is an all-important distinction. In the U.S., most often the LL.M. is taken after earning a J.D.

Tom Nixon
--
Author, Bears' Guide to Earning High School Diplomas Nontraditionally
Ten Speed Press, July 2003

Penelope

17 Apr 2003, 11:24:4617/04/2003
Barrington UNiversity!!!

I am new to this group. I became interested in this group because I am
currently perusing an online degree and everything is going great. I
wanted to let you all know that this is a great way to earn your
bachelor's and master's degree on line and at your own pace. If you
want more information about the school go to www.barrington.edu and
check it out.

John Bear

17 Apr 2003, 11:59:2717/04/2003
Better still, visit the official State of Oregon website and discover
that use of a Barrington degree in that state is a criminal offense,
subjecting you to fine and imprisonment. http://www.osac.state.or.us/oda

hakim_...@yahoo.com

18 Apr 2003, 10:49:3518/04/2003
Dr John Bear,

I have just searched the archives of this newsgroup and found
literally HUNDREDS of mentionings of your and your postings to
alt.sex.prostitution.

Why has it taken until now to ad,it that you OWNED the building in
which this sordid facility existed?

hakim_malik20

18 Apr 2003, 21:53:2218/04/2003
What a buffon I am. Don't I know that using an alias allows people to
steal my identity and make me look like an idiot.. Sorry Mr. Bear. In
the future i will have the guts to be a real man.

hakim_...@yahoo.com

19 Apr 2003, 07:17:3719/04/2003
My Dear Dr John Bear,

How exquisitely interesting!

I make an observation that you appear to have acted strangely in
regards to an alleged brothel operating in a building you own; 6923
Stockton Avenue (near San Pablo Avenue) in El Cerrito which you were
promoting by posting messages in alt.sex.prostitution and my account
at Google is immediately hacked; well cloned actually; and bogus
messages appear as if posted by me:

A quick search of Google archives shows that this is not the first
time that you have used hackers to try to silence those who would
doubt your honesty.

John Bear

23 Apr 2003, 00:33:1023/04/2003
to hakim_...@yahoo.com
I will be delighted to send you a detailed report on this entire situation,
including police reports and newspaper articles, if you will provide the name and
address to which I should mail it.

John Bear

John Bear

23 Apr 2003, 00:57:2423/04/2003
to hakim_malik20

hakim_malik20 wrote:

> What a buffon I am.

Do you identify with Buffon's Needle, then? I've always enjoyed that
proof.

John Bear

23 Apr 2003, 00:59:0123/04/2003

"hakim_...@yahoo.com" wrote:

> My Dear Dr John Bear,
>
> How exquisitely interesting!
>
> I make an observation that you appear to have acted strangely in
> regards to an alleged brothel operating in a building you own

Oh, not, not "alleged." The police, thankfully, closed them down in May 2002. I couldn't have been happier. Now the tenant is
the Meher Baba Study Group of Northern California. What are you going to make of *that* one?

SUNNY

31 May 2003, 13:21:0631/05/2003

Generally speaking, most individuals who were home schooled have a
greatly superior education. This is all relative to learning styles and
ability; however, individuals who participate in a classroom setting
miss out on many things for many reasons. Some may feel intimidated by
other students more intellectual than themselves and not participate as
completely as they would if it were just their instructor and
themselves. Others more advanced get tired or bored at the pace they
must keep because of students not as progressed as they are. Look at
all of the problems in schooling or any type of educational
environment, there are too many social issues at hand in a group
setting for anyone to fully take advantage of the information being
taught. The only thing that the traditional classroom offers that
online or distance learning does not is social interaction, which is
actually cumbersome to the learning process. If you want to learn
something distance is better, personally focused, if you want social
interaction then get a life outside of your studies. To say that
distance learning is in anyway inferior is absurd, it has been studied
and proven that smaller classrooms with less social interaction
provides an atmosphere much more conducive to learning. Why? Because
there is less pressure from peers, more personal interaction with the
professor. Simply put, distance learning is superior.

SUNNY------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUNNY's Profile: http://www.online-college.info/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=136

james1

1 Jun 2003, 19:12:4001/06/2003

S Cook wrote:
> *Looking for feedback. I am currently looking at 2 colleges that

> offer
> pretty much the same classes. I am working on a BS in business admin.
> One
> option is totally distance (online) and the other is totally "in
> class".
>
> How are online degrees being looked at in the workforce?
> How satisfied are people completing a degree on line vs. in class?
> Any other thoughts of wisdom??
>

> I have completed my Associates which was traditional in class and now
> going
> further.
>
> Thanks for the feedback

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =----- *

Do some research and ask around carefully before choosing, Peterson's
Guide To Four Year Colleges gives a lot of information about distance
and residential schools. The better distance learning schools are
harder to get into and require more new work than the easiest distance
schools. Any school,either distance or residential that is easy to get
into and is very liberal on testing for credit or on transfer credit
will not be of the same value as the more restrictive ones. Read a lot
and ask a lot of questions.
Good luck!!!

james1

james1's Profile: http://www.online-college.info/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=101

Dennis Ruhl

31 May 2003, 14:13:3831/05/2003

SUNNY wrote:
> *Generally speaking, most individuals who were home schooled have a
> greatly superior education. *

Bull

Dennis Ruhl------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dennis Ruhl's Profile: http://www.online-college.info/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=70

Thomas Nixon

2 Jun 2003, 21:05:4202/06/2003

Dennis Ruhl wrote:
SUNNY wrote:

*Generally speaking, most individuals who were home schooled have a
greatly superior education. *

Bull

My guess would be that this is a true statement. I should mention that I'm in public education. How could you not get a superior education? A 1:1 ratio (or even 1:2 or 1:3) is going to be superior to 30 kids in a classroom. Discipline problems slow down instruction so much in public schools that you can't help but not have time for things. Add to that, that a single student or a small group can move much faster and cover much more, and I think you have a true statement.

Now, notice I didn't say that public schools are bad. Quite the contrary. When they do studies of parent satisfaction, most parents are quite satisfied with their own child's school, but are quite sure that all the other schools are quite bad. Quite silly, in other words.

Tom
----

Author, "Bears' Guide to Earning High School Diplomas Nontraditionally"
Ten Speed Press (http://www.tenspeed.com)
Available July 2003
http://www.tomnixon.net

Some 1

3 Jun 2003, 14:05:5203/06/2003
> My guess would be that this is a true
> statement. I should mention that I'm in
> public education.

So, Tom... Would you agree that the school system should be eliminated
and students sent back to their parents for education? Do you think that
most parents, even fortified with online resources, could (or would)
accomplish that task?

My point is that a few highly motivated and well-prepared parents might
teach their kids better than the schools, but the great bulk of parents
aren't that highly motivated, don't have the education themselves and
have other commitments like jobs.

Some 1

3 Jun 2003, 13:52:5103/06/2003
> Generally speaking, most individuals
> who were home schooled have a greatly
> superior education.

I agree with Dennis in not believing this.

Homeschooling probably works well in cases where parents are highly
motivated and well prepared. But if you tried to scale that up to the
general public, I think that most families couldn't support it
adaquately.

But this is about distance learning on the university level, isn't it?

> The only thing that the traditional
> classroom offers that online or distance
> learning does not is social interaction,
> which is actually cumbersome to the
> learning process.

You have never taken a lab class have you?

> Why? Because there is less pressure
> from peers, more personal interaction
> with the professor. Simply put, distance
> learning is superior.

My experience, having taken both distance larning and on-campus courses,
is that I had more interaction with my professor in class. I could also
benefit from watching his/her exchanges with all the other students.
Finally, I got a tremendous amount out of discussions with those other
students, both in and out of class.

Thomas Nixon

4 Jun 2003, 03:25:4904/06/2003
And put myself out of work? I don't think so. Studies have shown, time and again, that homeschooling is a quite effective way to teach children. Why? Give me one student (and only student) and I will have them doing algebra by fourth grade, geometry, by fifth, and quite advanced mathematics from that point on. If you've never taught, you would not realize how much time is spent on discipline and classroom management as well as teaching to the middle of the ability levels in a classroom.

We now know so much about the efficacy of 1:1 tutoring. This is a tremendous teaching situation. If a parent couldn't end up doing a good job (almost by default), they probably shouldn't be homeschooling.

And, what you have stated above, is not what has been said in this thread. You've introduced the concept of "most parents." If it was I must have missed it. From my reading, no one had advocated for the elimination of public education in this thread. And if someone did, that would be rather silly, wouldn't it?

Tom



james1

3 Jun 2003, 09:12:4103/06/2003

SUNNY wrote:
> *Generally speaking, most individuals who were home schooled have a

> greatly superior education. This is all relative to learning styles
> and ability; however, individuals who participate in a classroom
> setting miss out on many things for many reasons. Some may feel
> intimidated by other students more intellectual than themselves and
> not participate as completely as they would if it were just their
> instructor and themselves. Others more advanced get tired or bored at
> the pace they must keep because of students not as progressed as they
> are. Look at all of the problems in schooling or any type of
> educational environment, there are too many social issues at hand in
> a group setting for anyone to fully take advantage of the information
> being taught. The only thing that the traditional classroom offers

> that online or distance learning does not is social interaction,
> which is actually cumbersome to the learning process. If you want to

> learn something distance is better, personally focused, if you want
> social interaction then get a life outside of your studies. To say
> that distance learning is in anyway inferior is absurd, it has been
> studied and proven that smaller classrooms with less social
> interaction provides an atmosphere much more conducive to learning.
> Why? Because there is less pressure from peers, more personal
> interaction with the professor. Simply put, distance learning is
> superior. *

I agree with much of what you've said. There are many positive aspects
to home schooling. My son took that route and I'm well pleased with the
knowledge and progress he made. He just received his diploma from James
Madison High School. Until the 8th grade his program was pure home
schooling, but for High School I decided to use JMHS. I got him started
attending church, especially Sunday School, so that he would have more
social contacts. I would point out the weaknesses of distance
education. The pressure and social positioning, wrong though it may be,
is part of the real world. All those pushy, loud mouth
bores,bullies,aggressive opinionated pompous jerks, are out there in
the world, and you must be prepared for them and the competition.
Especially in the business fields are the back stabbing plotters. When
you attend a school you will meet all types of people, for good or ill.
There are many times in life when it's nice to have personal contacts.
Several jobs, over the years, have been offered to me by contacts from
school, and I've helped friends with jobs also. It's hard to go to a
school reunion or go to homecoming with distance education, but
everything considered I still believe that distance education has many
positive results. Home schooling is a useful and positive path, but
it's not the only one, and maybe not even the best. It's one I chose
for my son and to a certain extent myself. Each family or individual
has to weigh the pluses and minuses and make the choices best for them.
I don't think that one size fits all.

Some 1

4 Jun 2003, 13:36:3104/06/2003
Tom Nixon writes:

> And, what you have stated above, is not
> what has been said in this thread.
> You've introduced the concept of "most
> parents." If it was I must have missed it.

I was referring to the remark of Sunny's that Dennis had disagreed with:

> Generally speaking, most individuals
> who were home schooled have a greatly
> superior education.

I was interpreting "generally speaking, most" to imply "most".

My point is that this thing doesn't seem to be scaleable. It might work
reasonably well for a small highly motivated group of parents who are
eager and prepared to teach their own kids. But it probably can't be
expanded into a conclusion that homeschooling is generally superior,
which seems to have been the original assertion.

james1

4 Jun 2003, 14:10:0004/06/2003

oko wrote:
> *Employers don't care as long as the school is regionally accredited.
> The most important thing is the individual holding the qualification
> being able to perform the job commensurate with the qualification. *

I don't agree that employers don't care. Some care very much where and
how a diploma was earned, and some colleges care also. I'm dealing with
a situation right now with the admissions dept. of a college that cares
very much. We've been jumping through hoops and providing more
information. One person said the school wasn't accredited. I showed her
on the transcript where it listed the RA & DETC accreditors. She called
her boss who looked at it and said,"This isn't a transcript it's a
receipt," I was too stunned to even believe what I heard. These two
must have used Trinity University for their education. I appealed to
the department head and supplied them with documents and a written
statement. I don't have great expectations from these boobs. The dept.
head, a Dr. ---- may be a bit above the two we met. He's supposed to
call me back today with a decision. If it's bad I'll appeal to the
review committee. No, not everyone accepts RA accreditation as the
final word. You may, as have we, have to defend the choice of distance
education.

oko

4 Jun 2003, 13:25:5404/06/2003

S Cook wrote:
> *Looking for feedback. I am currently looking at 2 colleges that

> offer
> pretty much the same classes. I am working on a BS in business admin.
> One
> option is totally distance (online) and the other is totally "in
> class".
>
> How are online degrees being looked at in the workforce?
> How satisfied are people completing a degree on line vs. in class?
> Any other thoughts of wisdom??
>

> I have completed my Associates which was traditional in class and now
> going
> further.
>
> Thanks for the feedback

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =----- *

oko------------------------------------------------------------------------
oko's Profile: http://www.online-college.info/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=141

james1

6 Jun 2003, 10:21:5206/06/2003

Some 1 wrote:
> Home schooling or any version of distance education may be better or
> worse than residential schooling, depending on the procedures used,
> and the acceptance of its results by the desired employers or higher
> schools. One never knows what is acceptable until the resume or
> application is on the table. I love home schooling and distance
> education, but the day of full acceptance by the work and residential
> school community hasn't arrived yet,unfortunately. I don't regret any
> efforts that I've made on this path, but do regret some of the
> ignorance I've encountered by some public officials and admissions
> employees. It's a war that will be won, but when, who knows???
> James1

> =90 *

Rose Bear

1 Aug 2003, 14:39:4601/08/2003

Generally speaking, online degrees tend to be viewed in the professional
world as superior to mere residential classes. Simply put, an
individual with an in-class degree is generally viewed by employers as
an individual who extended his/her childhood by four years and knows
nothing. An individual who completed an online degree is generally
viewed as more motivated. In the academic world, department chairs at
traditional doctoral programs will even not know that there exist such
things as online degrees. Department chairs at traditional programs
also do stupid things like insist that they wouldn't accept degrees by
examination or insist that you couldn't do a dissertation-only
doctorate at our university, not even realizing that this is exactly
what happens at places like Oxford and Cambridge.

Rose Bear------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rose Bear's Profile: http://www.online-college.info/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=189

Airborne_Ranger

3 Aug 2003, 17:24:4903/08/2003
REALLY.....?

Generally speaking, online degrees tend to be viewed in the professional
world as superior to mere residential classes.

chris

3 Aug 2003, 18:55:4003/08/2003

Well I suspect that the difference between distance and residential
degrees is hardly known within the professional world. What impresses
people is the fact that you earn a degree while still working full time.
The venue in which the degree was earned is probably of lesser
importance. When I got my MS in clinical psychology the first question my
HR director asked was "Is it accredited?" The second comment was "Ohhhh
and you did it while working here full time!!?"

In article <7e2d1aad.03080...@posting.google.com>,
savage...@yahoo.com says...

John Bear

3 Aug 2003, 22:13:0903/08/2003
to Airborne_Ranger
Airborne_Ranger wrote:

> REALLY.....?
>
> Generally speaking, online degrees tend to be viewed in the professional
> world as superior to mere residential classes.

The only research I know about that addressed this exact question (there well may have been others) was the Sosdian & Sharp
study, years ago, for the National Institute of Education. They asked the HR people at 81 companies about acceptance of
distance vs. residential degrees. (They were only asking about the schools now called Excelsior, Edison, and Charter Oak).
My strong recollection is that not only did not of the respondents say that residential was better, but a subset said
distance was better, since it showed that the employee was capable of independent study and unguided work.

It is possible that things have changed in a world with vastly more bad and fake schools. If it hasn't been re-done, that
would make a swell Master's project.

carrie

26 Aug 2003, 18:08:3426/08/2003

Take a look at the following site. You can request complimentary
information from each distance learning program to find out more about
each program.

'Distance Learning Programs'
(http://www.distance-learning-programs.info/)

Also, if you click on the "Resource" link at the bottom of the page you
will a few interesting articles on distance learning.

Carrie

You can find a few good programs at 'Online Degree Programs'
(http://www.online-degree-programs.info/)

carrie------------------------------------------------------------------------
carrie's Profile: http://www.online-college.info/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=383

Rich Douglas

26 Aug 2003, 22:46:1526/08/2003
Please be careful checking out the schools on that site. At least one of
them (Kennedy-Western) is not recognized as a university, despite being
permitted to operate by the state of Wyoming. (It is actually in
California, where it is not approved to operate). Kennedy-Western is not
accredited by any recognized agency.

--
Rich Douglas
BA (Sociology), The University of the State of New York

"carrie" <carrie...@email.onlinecollege.info> wrote in message

madalaine

9 Sept 2003, 01:07:3309/09/2003

I'd like to add a perspective as well...as someone who earned her BS
online through St Mary of the Woods in Indiana and who is earning her
MS in Adult Ed through Indiana University-Purdue University
Indianapolis via distance ed, I am having no problems with employers.
BUT that is because these are traditionally respected schools.

If you go to U of Phoenix or Capella, which are accredited, employers
know these as online schools and for better or worse, they are
skeptical.

I am running into the problem that I want to get a PhD in Educational
Technology, but I have been basically told I will never get into a
respected university (as it stands now) because the educators, which
deal with online education every day, still think the only way to get a
PhD is to play college kid for a few years.

For those of us with families and financial commitment, it makes no
sense. One school (which I will not name) told me that the f2f sessions
(in this case 2 semesters on campus) were so that we could be
introduced into "scholarliness" Whaaaat? What about the scholars doing
their research out in the field with the rest of us poor working
slobs... and is it not a bit hypocritical that these traditional
schools would offer BS and MS degrees online can't continue to back up
distance ed into the ultimate education.

Ok... I will get off my soap box now :)

madalaine------------------------------------------------------------------------
madalaine's Profile: http://www.online-college.info/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=462

Richard Kanarek

9 Sept 2003, 04:46:5909/09/2003
Greetings.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

There are foreign, research-based graduate degrees that are quite
amenable to acquisition by distance means. (UNISA, (www.unisa.ac.za)
is prominent in this field, and is extremely economical by American
standards.) Perhaps you need to give the institutions you consulted an
"ultimate education" by taking your business elsewhere?

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek

IUGrad

9 Sept 2003, 09:56:0209/09/2003

I returned to school at age 44 in the only way that fit my needs and
that of my family. Though Indiana University's Independent Study
Program. I spent months researching my options in 1998 - when on-line
was not ubiquitous as it is now.

I thought then, as I do now, the point of an education -- is to be
exposed to ideas - to learn to critically think and to be able to apply
the knowledge and skills to life -- work life -- all life.

I wasn't interested in a business degree - but if I were I would
consider Univ of Phoenix as much as a traditional university's distance
offering. I would research it.

Employers always discriminate in some fashion -- whether obvious or
not. They discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender. They might
pick the Harvard Business MBA instead of the Baylor University MBA.
They might discriminate based on fraternity or sorority affiliation.
It's endless the ways people discriminate. One cannot let what one
particular employer does cause you to lose sight of what you wish to
accomplish.

I would also add that while on-line is the term most often used here,
not every Indepedent Study program has always been "on-line". Many
traditional universities have offered at a distance programs that were
paper based for years. Indiana University and Texas Tech come to
mind.

I received a quality education from IU - both an Associate of General
Studies and Bachelor of General Studies. I worked hard every minute
for every grade point and I took, Astronomy, Geology, Geography,
History, Religion, Literature, Public Speaking and Anthropology just to
name a few courses. I was taught by the same professors who teach the
same classes on -campus.

This is something new -- but traditional brick and mortar will not be
the only way for the future.

I didn't work for the goal just for a specific job -- I wanted an
education and I think that is an important goal to keep in mind.

If the only consideration is job-related -- then I can't imagine why
University of Phoenix or other on-line or distance programs that are
accredited shouldn't be considered.

Distance Learning is not going to create neuro-surgeons, but it does
broaden the options to create educated individuals who can then make
many kinds of options for their futures... jobs, graduate school, etc.

IUGrad------------------------------------------------------------------------
IUGrad's Profile: http://www.online-college.info/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=372

Concord_...@yahoo.com

20 Sept 2003, 16:37:0420/09/2003
(Name Removed)
(Address Removed)
(City, State and Zip Code Removed)
(Telephone Number Removed)

September 20, 2003

Honorable
United States
Secretary of Education
Roderick R. Paige
United States Department of Education
Office of Post Secondary Education
1990 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006

Kenneth Marcus,
Acting Deputy
Assistant Secretary for Enforcement
United States Department of Education
Office of Civil Rights
3030 C Street SW
Washington, DC 20202

Gary Jackson
Western Division, Seattle Office
915 Second Avenue, Room 3310
Seattle, Washington 98174-1099

RE: Freedom of Information Act Request

Dear All:

On August 20, 2003, as per Steve Cramolini, I requested an appeal and
review of the Seattle OCR Office's handling of my complaints. In
particular, I identified issues such as how the investigator had
refused to accept the January 11, 2002, letter Kaplan (Concord School
of Law) wrote identifying the reasons for my 12 month suspension, as
proof of retaliation.

Today, I received a letter date September 16, 2003, from Gary Jackson
closing OCR No. 09022116. In his letter he fails to discuss the
January 11, 2002, letter, my retaliation claim, and/or my August 2003
requests for review of the Seattle handling of the retaliation claim.

Interestingly, I spoke with the Seattle Office on September 20, 2003,
but wasn't informed of the closure. That is, it appears that the
"closure letter" was rushed out after I filed a new retaliation
complaint on September 16, 2003. In short, we had discussion about the
new retaliation complaint but nothing concerning an expect closing of
the investigation.

As a Freedom of Information Act Request, please forward to me copies
of the documents/information OCR identifies in its September 16, 2003,
closure letter. That is, all tangible records OCR identifies as having
been provided by Kaplan/Concord School of Law, and a part of the
investigative file.

Thank you
s/
(Name Removed)