Not a Crime, Huh?

1 view

Sbd1967

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00

John4Surf

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00

Keyzersoce1

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
"There is no estimate of the number of people who have
illegal
cards, and there is no electronic way to detect them, said
Larry
Rissler, a DirecTV vice president." And yet, later in the
article,
Rissler is offering amnesty to those who turn themselves in.

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

Keyzersoce1

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00

"There is no estimate of the number of people who have
illegal
cards, and there is no electronic way to detect them, said
Larry
Rissler, a DirecTV vice president." Late in the article,
Rissler
offers amnesty to those who turn themselves in.

thesatguy

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
> "There is no estimate of the number of people who have
> illegal cards, and there is no electronic way to detect them, said Larry
Rissler, a DirecTV vice president."

Sure there is Larry and you know exactly how many there are which is the
reason for the heavily stepped-up counter measures after some three years of
doing nothing to stop 'free-skyers'.

DirecTV press reports state that nearly 16 million 'dss' systems (I know,
they aren't called dss anymore because DirecTV lost the lawsuit) have been
shipped to retailers while the same press reports also state that almost 10
million have been installed and authorized for use.

Even though I wasn't a wiz at math I can subtract 10 million from 16 million
and figure out that some 6 million systems are 'somewhere'. If 500,000 are
currently in the delivery pipeline and/or in-stock in the backrooms of
retailers... probably a way too high number, but even so that leaves 5.5
million systems that aren't paying.

Your in deep s*** Larry!!! I don't know who you think you're fooling except
morons at NBC (nothing but crap) and MSNBC (most shows nothing but crap),
but one third of your systems are missing-in-action.

There may be some idiots at General Motors that believe your bs Larry, but
all the 'free-skers' with H cards know you're going to you heck of a lot of
trouble all of a sudden to deal with 'no estimate of the number of people'.

Nice try Larry!

James Himmelman

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
jmd...@dishnews.com (thesatguy) wrote in
<7rRk5.313$K5....@typhoon.austin.rr.com>:

>> "There is no estimate of the number of people who have
>> illegal cards, and there is no electronic way to detect them,
>> said Larry
>Rissler, a DirecTV vice president."

>Sure there is Larry and you know exactly how many there are which
>is the reason for the heavily stepped-up counter measures after
>some three years of doing nothing to stop 'free-skyers'.
>
>DirecTV press reports state that nearly 16 million 'dss' systems
>(I know, they aren't called dss anymore because DirecTV lost the
>lawsuit) have been shipped to retailers while the same press
>reports also state that almost 10 million have been installed and
>authorized for use.
>
>Even though I wasn't a wiz at math I can subtract 10 million from
>16 million and figure out that some 6 million systems are
>'somewhere'. If 500,000 are currently in the delivery pipeline
>and/or in-stock in the backrooms of retailers... probably a way
>too high number, but even so that leaves 5.5 million systems that
>aren't paying.

Your math leaves zero systems that are out of service, or that have
been replaced with newer hardware. Also, I would suspect that there
are actually more than 500,000 systems in the delivery pipeline. I
doubt that over a third of the people receiving DirecTV are stealing
it. Sad if true.

Gray-Beard

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
You also forgot old trashed systems. Here in Denver, Dish network was
running a promotion to trade out DTV systems and I was told by their
warehouse employee of hundreds if not more of them in the dumpster going
to the landfill. This was going on nation wide, how many do you think
ended up being trash?

James Himmelman wrote:

--
Remove nospam to reply

Mike Thaler

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
There has to be some untold number of old systems that are no longer in use. "DSS" has
been around for over 4 years.

...mike

thesatguy wrote:

> > "There is no estimate of the number of people who have
> > illegal cards, and there is no electronic way to detect them, said Larry
> Rissler, a DirecTV vice president."
>
> Sure there is Larry and you know exactly how many there are which is the
> reason for the heavily stepped-up counter measures after some three years of
> doing nothing to stop 'free-skyers'.
>
> DirecTV press reports state that nearly 16 million 'dss' systems (I know,
> they aren't called dss anymore because DirecTV lost the lawsuit) have been
> shipped to retailers while the same press reports also state that almost 10
> million have been installed and authorized for use.
>
> Even though I wasn't a wiz at math I can subtract 10 million from 16 million
> and figure out that some 6 million systems are 'somewhere'. If 500,000 are
> currently in the delivery pipeline and/or in-stock in the backrooms of
> retailers... probably a way too high number, but even so that leaves 5.5
> million systems that aren't paying.
>

> Your in deep s*** Larry!!! I don't know who you think you're fooling except
> morons at NBC (nothing but crap) and MSNBC (most shows nothing but crap),
> but one third of your systems are missing-in-action.
>
> There may be some idiots at General Motors that believe your bs Larry, but
> all the 'free-skers' with H cards know you're going to you heck of a lot of

> trouble all of a sudden to deal with 'no estimate of the number of people'.
>
> Nice try Larry!

MorganPark

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
As long as it is possible to steal the sateliite signal, people are going to be
dealing in pirated cards. The gvt cannot stop it. They are making an example
out of these people but they know that thousands of others are doing the same
thing. Sort of like "the war on drugs". So DTV needs to make it technically
impossibl;e to steal their signal.

Kev in Atlanta GA USA

James Himmelman

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00