Challenge drable-and-a-half: Something "Extra"

1 view

Daibhid Ceannaideach

Nov 23, 2003, 6:04:03 PM11/23/03
Something "Extra"

Written for the "forty" challenge.

"Really, Peri, do I have to wear these ridiculous clothes?"

"Ridiculous? Compared to what you usually wear? Look, for once could you *try*
to be inconspicuous?"

"Oh very well." The Doctor had agreed to take Peri to Disneyland. He had also,
reluctantly, agreed to forego his patchwork coat and dress as a typical
tourist, in shorts and T-shirt. And he'd been complaining ever since.

"Anyway," Peri said, "you're lucky I got some that fitted you at all."

"Oh, come now, Peri. I grant that a forty-inch waist is somewhat on the obese
side, but given the Brobdingnagian proportions of your countrymen..."

"Doctor, where on Earth did you get the idea you have a forty-inch waist?"

"From the label in these shorts, of course." He hesitated. "Funny, according to
the T-shirt size, I also have a forty-inch chest. Curious. I must be
cylindrical."

It took Peri a second to work it out. "Doctor, those *aren't* Roman
numerals..."

--
Dave
Now Official Absentee of EU Skiffeysoc for FOUR years

Paul Andinach

Nov 24, 2003, 8:28:59 AM11/24/03
On 24 Nov 2003, daibhidc...@aol.com (Daibhid Ceannaideach)
wrote in news:20031123180403...@mb-m28.aol.com:

> It took Peri a second to work it out. "Doctor, those *aren't*
> Roman numerals..."

Oh, bravo!

Paul
--
The Pink Pedanther

Paul Melville Austin

Nov 24, 2003, 6:59:01 PM11/24/03
what was the joke?

I. Inayat

Nov 25, 2003, 12:17:42 AM11/25/03

"Paul Melville Austin" <paul....@operamail.com> wrote in message
> what was the joke?

In Roman numerals, XL is 40 - L is 50 and X is 10. Having the smaller number
before the larger indicates you're supposed to subtract smaller from larger.

In clothing sizes, however, XL is Extra Large...

Imran

Igenlode Wordsmith

Nov 25, 2003, 6:12:51 PM11/25/03
On 23 Nov 2003 Daibhid Ceannaideach wrote:

[snip]

> "Funny, according to the T-shirt size, I also have a forty-inch chest.
> Curious. I must be cylindrical."
>
> It took Peri a second to work it out. "Doctor, those *aren't* Roman
> numerals..."

*groan*
--
Igenlode Wordsmith <Igenl...@nym.alias.net>