VISIONS '98 DOCTOR WHO PANELS

Shaun Lyon

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
Greetings. The following is a listing of the Doctor Who-related fan
panels taking place at Visions '98 next weekend, along with the times of
each panel. The Doctor Who Alliance of North America is assisting
Visions with a more visible Dr. Who fan panel list; to reach the
Alliance, visit http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/4339

All fan panels take place in Grand Ballroom C.

International Fandom
An examination of how global fandom has changed over the years,
particularly with the advent of the Internet.
FRIDAY 11:30am

Doctor Who Internet Fandom Gathering
Meet your fellow Netizens... Users of the rec.arts.drwho &
alt.drwho.creative newsgroups, the DRWHO-L, Allen Road & Doctor Who
Alliance mailing lists, IRC users and AOL/CompuServe online members,
come hook up and put faces to those names you've seen forever!
SATURDAY 9:00am

The Future of Dr. Who Fandom In North America
Doctor Who fandom in the U.S. and Canada is maturing as the long days
continue since the show's cancellation. How is this fandom progressing;
what can be done to keep it going? We'll give you the lowdown on the
current state of affairs with Who fandom through clubs, conventions, the
Internet and local fandom, and show you some of the ways we're changing
it for the better, including the new Doctor Who Alliance of North
America.
SATURDAY 1:15pm

Missing Episodes: Is the Truth Out There?
Is it true that some episodes were found in a church? Was the Jon
Pertwee episode 'Invasion' mistakenly destroyed with a Patrick Troughton
serial? Why did the BBC destroy many of the episodes in the first place?
A discussion of the many stories (and even more rumours) surrounding the
missing episodes of DOCTOR WHO.
SATURDAY 2:30pm

Who Fandom: The Next Step
How can you become an active participant in fandom by more than just
sitting through convention panels? We'll look at a variety of ways,
such as fan fiction, fan videos, telesnap reconstructions and video
projects, and more.
SATURDAY 3:45pm

Making a Fan Video: A Survival Course
This panel will present some key points to understand and remember when
considering the creation of a fan video. The concepts presented are
important for any video - dramatic or comedic, Doctor Who or Star Trek
or Buffy - because they encompass the creative and technical aspects of
the process.
SUNDAY 9:30am

Dr. Who On The Internet: A Guide To Getting Started
Our panel will tell you where to find the information you are looking
for on the 'Net and the World Wide Web, including the low down on the
best websites, mailing lists, newsgroups, IRC, the online services and
more.
SUNDAY 10:45am

Into the Canon's Mouth!
Just for fun... a huge roundtable debate on the Doctor Who novels,
Virgin version versus the BBC. A two-hour free-for-all; come have fun
and join the caucus!
SUNDAY 12 noon

(Note: another panel, "Filking a Mystery" will involve some Doctor Who
but we were unable to get hold of the moderator by press time.)

Michael J. Doran

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
On 21 Nov 1998 11:42:57 PST, Shaun Lyon <jsl...@gallifreyone.com>
wrote:

>SUNDAY 10:45am
>Into the Canon's Mouth!
>Just for fun... a huge roundtable debate on the Doctor Who novels,
>Virgin version versus the BBC. A two-hour free-for-all; come have fun
>and join the caucus!

I'd just like to say that this turned out to be one of the MOST
interesting parts of the entire convention!

Mike

Michael J. Doran * http://www.pmihrm.com/~mjdoran/
"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most
terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in.
They must be fought." The Doctor - DOCTOR WHO: Moonbase episode 2