tipping

mudpye

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00
Hi all:

Our next trip to WDW is coming up in July. I have some general
questions about tipping and what you all think (especially those
service people who I am going to tip). I know the general rates for
tipping and "usually" tip more than the standard. However, I am
wondering if I may be shorting certain people.

Such as . . . chamber people. I have heard that the going rate is 1-2
dollars per person in the room. There are four people in my party (two
adults/two children) so that could equal 8 dollars a day. I think this
is a GRAND tip for straightening up. I make the bed myself and leave
all towels in one pile in the bathroom and straighten up the bathroom
counter. I don't know what is involved in cleaning the room so I
usually tip 3-4 dollars a day. Is this shortening the chamber person?

As far as buffets and meals go, I usually tip 20% on the total bill
(including the tax) plus/minus for poor/great service. On buffets I
tip 15%.

Who else should I be tipping? The pool person who brings towels? The
cast member who took a picture of my family? We never have our car
parked valet but what would you tip the attendant?

Thanks for your help.

--
mudpye

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Madmomof2

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00
Great question! We haven't been on a vacation in FOREVER. We are flying
and staying onsight. Please post the tipping tips. :-)

--
Leslie
Madmomof2
"mudpye" <mudpy...@msn.com> wrote in message

Scary Mary

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00
Keep in mind everything the maid does in your room. Even if you
make the bed, she comes in and changes the sheets every day. She
cleans the tub/shower, sinks, and toilet; vacuums the floor;
dusts; empties the trash; and replenishes the toiletries every
day.

I haven't heard the 1-2 dollars per person rule. My husband and
I usually tip approximately $5 per day that we are there, left
on the dresser the morning we check out.

"My karma ran over my dogma."
Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

J Turner

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00
mudpye wrote:

> Such as . . . chamber people. I have heard that the going rate is 1-2
> dollars per person in the room.

I tip $1-2 per day, at the end. Leave it by a note that says thankyou.
Most people do NOT tip the housekeeper, any amount is appreciated.

> As far as buffets and meals go, I usually tip 20% on the total bill
> (including the tax) plus/minus for poor/great service. On buffets I
> tip 15%.

I tip 10% at buffets, given the level of service is usually less. I tip
20% (or more) at full service.

> Who else should I be tipping? The pool person who brings towels? The
> cast member who took a picture of my family? We never have our car
> parked valet but what would you tip the attendant?

Tip anyone who provides you a personal service. But I dont over do it.
Is it really worth a dollar to the guy who opened the door to a cab for
me?
I don't think the pool guy expects you to flip out cash from that speedo
for a towel. Lets face it, you are spending $300 (or so) to stay in
that hotel.
You have already paid for SOME things.

J Turner

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00
> >Tip anyone who provides you a personal service.
> Give us all a break! This is way over doing it!

Maybe. Strictly speaking, tipping is optional in most cases.

Why don't you explain to 'all' of us how tipping in this manner
is overdoing it?

> >You have already paid for SOME things.
>

> And that is my point! You have paid for this...and those who make your bed, or
> bring you your breakfast or cut your heard are already paid. If you want to
> tip...go back to the early days, tip only and only for exception service.

I do tip those who cut MY hair. But then again, I like to return to
them time and again, and they always treat me well, because I treat
them well.

But honestly now, when someone is BRINGING you breakfast and making
you feel comfortable, this is the time to say thank you with a gratuity.

ModkeyMan

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
In article <395387...@swixo.com>, J Turner <j...@swixo.com> writes:

>Tip anyone who provides you a personal service.

Give us all a break! This is way over doing it!

ModkeyMan

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
In article <395387...@swixo.com>, J Turner <j...@swixo.com> writes:

>I tip 20% (or more) at full service.

Why do you tip them 20% of your total dinner bill? Maybe an extra $3.00 to
$5.00 if the service is exception...but why do you feel you OWE them an extra
$12.00 to $19.00 for average service at your dinner?

And now multiply you $15.00 tip by the number of tables they serve in their
service area by the average dinning time of one hour to one 1/2 hour by the
length of their shift...hummm...how many of us earn around $30.00 per hour....

ModkeyMan

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
In article <205c9064...@usw-ex0101-008.remarq.com>, Scary Mary
<maryNO...@fgm.com.invalid> writes:

>My husband and
>I usually tip approximately $5 per day that we are there

Why, why are you paying them an extra $5.00...why. Does your husband get paid
an extra $5.00 each day here works at his job?

ModkeyMan

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
In article <205c9064...@usw-ex0101-008.remarq.com>, Scary Mary
<maryNO...@fgm.com.invalid> writes:

>Keep in mind everything the maid does in your room. Even if you
>make the bed, she comes in and changes the sheets every day. She
>cleans the tub/shower, sinks, and toilet; vacuums the floor;
>dusts; empties the trash; and replenishes the toiletries every
>day.

Yes, and she gets PAID to do that!

This whole tipping thing is getting out of control!
Tips used to be only give for exceptional service, not ordinary service, but
great service...now it seems that its a requirement whether the service was
good, normal or even bad! And if you are a construction worker or office
typist or TV camera man or even a policeman, when was the last time you got a
tip?! These people get paid, just like waiters and waitresses and room
cleaners and Mears drivers...so why do these people get a tip and all the
others don't. And even if the waitress screws up your order and brings your
eggs sunny-side-up and not scrabbled and had to be asked twice to water, your
bill has a 15% tip already added to it! Sorry, but this is totally nuts! We
all need to return to the early days of tipping, and only tip when the service
is exceptional and deserved.

MeToo

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
Amen ModkeyMan. Tipping in this country is out-of-control! I love it that
now when I go to the local ice crème parlor, and many other places, there is
a tips jar. I'm talking about places where you even bus your own table!
Jeese, that irritates me...

ModkeyMan <modk...@aol.com> wrote in message

Jennifer Todd

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
You are so incredibly incorrect!! Waitstaff need tips. I agree that I
wouldn't tip wellif the person really seemed like they weren't trying, but
you have to remember that they're trying to work to support themselves.
It's better then having to pay into someone's welfare check. I quit
waitressing because I simply wasn't making enough. I often worked 12-14
hour shifts and made $75 or less. Considering the abuse that I had to put
up with, and then having to come home and spend quality time with my family,
it just wasn't worth it. Waitstaff only make $2.13 an hour. After
reporting the tips that I made for tax purposes, I was lucky if my paycheck
even came back with any money on it.

Tip your waitstaff. If the service was that bad, tell them, or the manager.
Don't occupy a table for an hour <or however long> and not tip.

David Surtees

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
Come down to Australia

The only place they ever get tips is in restaurants...and thats only if the
service and food is exceptional......

I suppose the difference is in the pay rates....while not 100% sure, I think
our waiters and waitresses are on a better pay scale.

Just came back from Bali and Singapore and tipping is also not
necessary......sure makes a difference when planning my next holiday from
Australia.

To go to America can cost an extra couple of hundred dollars by the end of
the trip, but in Bali and Singapore, I know exactly how much money I am
going to spend before I go.

The other pain is having to carry those extra $ 1.00 notes all the time

DS

"Jennifer Todd" <wolffe...@home.com> wrote in message

mudpye

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00

Scary Mary <maryNO...@fgm.com.invalid> wrote:
> Keep in mind everything the maid does in your room. Even if you
> make the bed, she comes in and changes the sheets every day. She
> cleans the tub/shower, sinks, and toilet; vacuums the floor;
> dusts; empties the trash; and replenishes the toiletries every
> day.

O.k. Here's another question. This is more in regard to chamber
service as opposed to waitstaff. I realize that waitstaff are only
making a couple of bucks per hour and rely heavily on their tips. I
also realize that, as someone else posted, we could multiply the number
of tables and it could technically come to 30.00 an hour. (In fact, I
just talked to a waitress who said she had made 150.00 for two hours'
work and her average was 50.00 for a couple of hours.)

My original question was should I be tipping more if the chamber
service was doing more. Are they paid like waitstaff (only a couple
dollars an hour) or are they actually paid an hourly wage to do their
job and we are tipping extra for normal work? I don't mind tipping for
exceptional work (as someone else correctly pointed out) but I'm also
wondering if this whole tipping thing is getting out of hand.

We had a great chamber maid at one of our Disney trips at Dixie
Landings and I didn't mind tipping her well because she did do, what I
considered, an exceptional job. She was available whenever we needed
her. If we asked for extra anything, it was there promptly. In fact,
by the second day she knew all of our names and would know who we were
even if we met her on the wrong side of the building! (Maybe this is
naive thinking, but I consider this exceptional.) On our second trip
we had an average chamberperson whom we never saw, had to be asked
twice to bring something, and did an average job cleaning the room.

WDW1972

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
>My original question was should I be tipping more if the chamber
>service was doing more. Are they paid like waitstaff (only a couple
>dollars an hour) or are they actually paid an hourly wage to do their
>job and we are tipping extra for normal work?

Housekeepers/chambermaids earn an hourly wage at or above minimum wage, unlike
waitstaff who are paid UNDER the minimum wage because it's expected they will
earn tips. I don't have the payscale for housekeepers at wdw but I'd bet it's
at least $6-8/hour to start out. So, if you're tipping them just for cleaning
your room then I'd say tipping has definitely gotten out of hand. If on the
other hand the housekeeper does something special that's not normally part of
his/her job, and you tip a few dollars, that would be appropriate.

My problem is with tiping the person for cleaning your room, when they're
already being paid by Disney to do that. If I go to the hospital and the lab
tech draws blood from me - do I tip him for doing so? Of course not - he's
already being paid for that. If I go to a restaurant & a waiter brings me my
meal - do I tip him? Of course, because he's paid less than minimum wage and
it's normal practice to tip 15-20% of the cost of the meal depending on the
service provided (or less if service was poor).

Sue - DivaofDVC aka WDW1972
DVC '97 OKW, Vero Beach, & Hilton Head

Roger Mellie

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
On 24 Jun 2000 02:13:32 GMT, modk...@aol.com (ModkeyMan) wrote:

>In article <205c9064...@usw-ex0101-008.remarq.com>, Scary Mary

><maryNO...@fgm.com.invalid> writes:
>
>>Keep in mind everything the maid does in your room. Even if you
>>make the bed, she comes in and changes the sheets every day. She
>>cleans the tub/shower, sinks, and toilet; vacuums the floor;
>>dusts; empties the trash; and replenishes the toiletries every
>>day.
>

>Yes, and she gets PAID to do that!
>
>This whole tipping thing is getting out of control!
>Tips used to be only give for exceptional service, not ordinary service, but
>great service...now it seems that its a requirement whether the service was
>good, normal or even bad! And if you are a construction worker or office
>typist or TV camera man or even a policeman, when was the last time you got a
>tip?! These people get paid, just like waiters and waitresses and room
>cleaners and Mears drivers...so why do these people get a tip and all the
>others don't. And even if the waitress screws up your order and brings your
>eggs sunny-side-up and not scrabbled and had to be asked twice to water, your
>bill has a 15% tip already added to it! Sorry, but this is totally nuts! We
>all need to return to the early days of tipping, and only tip when the service
>is exceptional and deserved.

Are you Mr Pink in disguise?

ModkeyMan

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
In article <20000624101327...@ng-fb1.aol.com>, wdw...@aol.com
(WDW1972) writes:

>Housekeepers/chambermaids earn an hourly wage at or above minimum
>wage, unlike waitstaff who are paid UNDER the minimum wage

If the employer is paying the UNDER the minimum wage, he is breaking
the law! Federal and State law do not list and exception for waitstaff.
And when you think of the cost of a room per night at WDW, then the
tipping the chamber person question should be clear.

>If I go to a restaurant & a waiter brings me my meal - do I tip him? Of
>course, because he's paid less than minimum wage

This is the big scam that the restaurant industry pushes off on you. They
are under the same laws as any other business. They have a minimum
wage they must pay by LAW, just like any other business. Now, should
the employer and the employee agree to something less than set by law,
that is their wrong doing, and we should not contribute to it or support it
by tipping any and every time, regardless.

ModkeyMan

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
In article <8j1snb$gab$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, mudpye <mudpy...@msn.com> writes:

>I realize that waitstaff are only making a couple of bucks per hour

>Are they paid like waitstaff (only a couple dollars an hour) or are

>they actually paid an hourly wage to do their job

Both are paid a minimum of $4.75 (as set by Federal and State Law) or
more per hour for what they due...and depending of the company, some
get other benefits also.

ModkeyMan

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
In article <fmZ45.463$W4....@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au>, "David
Surtees" <surt...@optushome.com.au> writes:

>The only place they ever get tips is in restaurants...and thats only if the
>service and food is exceptional......

And that is how it really should be. Even I myself have gotten into the
stupid habit of tipping no matter what...mostly feeling guilty if I don't.
But with the recent trend of automatically putting the tip on the dinner
bill when the presenting it..I now resent this and will go back to tipping
as it should be...only for exceptional service.

ModkeyMan

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
In article <VMX45.15398$jk1....@news1.rdc1.tx.home.com>, "Jennifer Todd"
<wolffe...@home.com> writes:

>Waitstaff only make $2.13 an hour.

Wake up! Federal and State law require them to be paid $4.75 an hour!
If they are paid less than that then the employer is a cheat and breaking the
law and should be reported and the employee is stupid for putting up with
such low pay. Even McDonell's pays more than that!

>Don't occupy a table for an hour <or however long> and not tip.

I will occupy the table however long it takes them to serve us and we
finish our meal. The average length of stay at the table and the time involved
by wait staff is part of the calculations of food costing that set the prices
of
the meal. Again, tipping was and should be only given for exceptional
service...for doing something more than just doing the required minimum.

Suzanne

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00

> In article <VMX45.15398$jk1....@news1.rdc1.tx.home.com>, "Jennifer Todd"
> <wolffe...@home.com> writes:
>

> Wake up! Federal and State law require them to be paid $4.75 an hour!
> If they are paid less than that then the employer is a cheat and breaking
the
> law and should be reported and the employee is stupid for putting up with
> such low pay. Even McDonell's pays more than that!

Restaurants in the Orlando/Kissimmee area including Disney pay their servers
$2.13-$2.50 an hour. I can't imagine they are all breaking the law. Where
can I find this Federal/State law?

Suzanne

stoneh...@my-deja.com

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
Oddly, I tend to be a rotten tipper -- especially to chambermaids -- on
business trips since I leave them so little to do for the 1 or 2
nights, but I rise to praise the chambermaids at WDW -- at least, the
one we had for 9 days in May at Beach Club. She made it her business to
monitor the "expendables" we were using and give us extras way in
advance of need; did wonders straightening (and working around) the
growing piles of DisneyStuff growing on most horizontal services, and
the room was always outstandlingly made up. She also had a repetoire of
ways to fold towels, face cloths, that just added a little something
when coming back to the room. Would encourage all to remember this
segment of the service staff -- a frequently-overlooked CM.

In article <39544C...@swixo.com>,

j...@swixo.com wrote:
> > >Tip anyone who provides you a personal service.
> > Give us all a break! This is way over doing it!
>

> Maybe. Strictly speaking, tipping is optional in most cases.
>
> Why don't you explain to 'all' of us how tipping in this manner
> is overdoing it?
>

> > >You have already paid for SOME things.
> >
> > And that is my point! You have paid for this...and those who make
your bed, or
> > bring you your breakfast or cut your heard are already paid. If
you want to
> > tip...go back to the early days, tip only and only for exception
service.

> I do tip those who cut MY hair. But then again, I like to return to
> them time and again, and they always treat me well, because I treat
> them well.
>
> But honestly now, when someone is BRINGING you breakfast and making
> you feel comfortable, this is the time to say thank you with a
gratuity.

J Turner

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
ModkeyMan wrote:
> >Are they paid like waitstaff (only a couple dollars an hour) or are
> >they actually paid an hourly wage to do their job

> Both are paid a minimum of $4.75 (as set by Federal and State Law) or
> more per hour for what they due...and depending of the company, some
> get other benefits also.

Which is NOTHING. Can you live on $10,000 a year?

Forget which is proper; If you stay in a hotel, and every day the
room is immaculate - aven after you left it a mess. Why not
leave a few bucks.

Lisa Pooh

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
Housekeeping are paid a regular wage and technically are not tipped
positions is my understanding. That is not to say I don't tip. If service
is exceptional or we leave an extra messy Home I will leave a tip. Usually
I will tip daily as the housekeeper may not be the same each day. Usually
leave $5 per day for the housekeeper.
Our last rip we had a really terrific housekeeper who made beautiful
sculptures from the towels and wash clothes. Haven't had that in a long
while.

Pooh

MeToo

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
I'm not saying that you should not make a livable wage. I'd just rather pay
it all up front. Let the employer pay you what you are worth and pass it on
to me. I'd rather pay only once. It is your employer who is not paying you
a fair wage. Not me...

Jennifer Todd <wolffe...@home.com> wrote in message
> You are so incredibly incorrect!! Waitstaff need tips. I agree that I
> wouldn't tip wellif the person really seemed like they weren't trying, but
> you have to remember that they're trying to work to support themselves.
> It's better then having to pay into someone's welfare check. I quit
> waitressing because I simply wasn't making enough. I often worked 12-14
> hour shifts and made $75 or less. Considering the abuse that I had to put
> up with, and then having to come home and spend quality time with my
family,
> it just wasn't worth it. Waitstaff only make $2.13 an hour. After
> reporting the tips that I made for tax purposes, I was lucky if my
paycheck
> even came back with any money on it.
>
> Tip your waitstaff. If the service was that bad, tell them, or the
manager.

Lisa Pooh

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
Actually you are wrong here. Waitstaff are not paid minimum wage. This is
true in any restaurant where there is table service. They can by law be
paid $2.13/hr as the federal government allows the amount of tips estimated
to be deducted from what the employer pays. Our federal government actually
expects us to tip and make up the difference. The darn restaurant owners
have a real sweet deal going here.

Pooh

> In article <8j1snb$gab$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, mudpye <mudpy...@msn.com>
writes:

> >I realize that waitstaff are only making a couple of bucks per hour

Lisa Pooh

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
Wake up! The law has an exception for restaurant waitstaff.

ModkeyMan <modk...@aol.com> wrote in message
> In article <VMX45.15398$jk1....@news1.rdc1.tx.home.com>, "Jennifer Todd"
> <wolffe...@home.com> writes:
>
> >Waitstaff only make $2.13 an hour.
>
> Wake up! Federal and State law require them to be paid $4.75 an hour!
> If they are paid less than that then the employer is a cheat and breaking
the
> law and should be reported and the employee is stupid for putting up with
> such low pay. Even McDonell's pays more than that!
>
> >Don't occupy a table for an hour <or however long> and not tip.

MeToo

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
I have to wonder why you would choose a job where you are $$$ dependent on
the good graces of an unpredictable public?

Lisa Pooh <lisapoo...@s-mindspring.com> wrote in message

Madmomof2

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
Okay, if you tip daily, I assume you leave a couple bucks in your room for
the chambermaid to get while she is in cleaning. How do you designate this
is a tip, and not just your money left lying around. Also, if you leave the
tip for when she comes in to clean, how do you know if she is doing an
exceptional job? Are you actually tipping Tuesday's maid for the
exceptional job Monday's maid did?

--
Leslie
Madmomof2

"Lisa Pooh" <lisapoo...@s-mindspring.com> wrote in message

Madmomof2

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
I know you seem insistant and hostile, but that does not make you right.
The law varies from state to state. In CA the waitresses must be paid
minimum wage. In WI they are paid $2.13 with the understanding that they
are making up the difference in tips. Look it up. They must also claim no
less than 8% of their food sales as tips to the IRS.

--
Leslie
Madmomof2

stinkerbell

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
I have a problem tipping housekeeping. I am used to tipping waitstaff
bartenders, and hairdressers. Realize that if I ever use them I am supposed
to tip valets, chauffeurs and concierge. When did tipping the housekeepers
become "standard". With the exception of Disney newsgroups, I have never
heard of tipping the people who clean your hotel room. This one took me by
surprise the first time I read it and still makes me wonder.
--
The apparently very uncouth-
stinkerbell

----------
In article <3955134d$0$8302$4bb1...@news.dwave.net>, "Madmomof2"

Jennifer Todd

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00

> This is the big scam that the restaurant industry pushes off on you. They
> are under the same laws as any other business. They have a minimum
> wage they must pay by LAW, just like any other business.

Restaurants are required by law to pay only $2.13 an hour because people tip
the waitstaff. It's not a scam, it's a sad fact.

Mary Morgan

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

ModkeyMan wrote:

> In article <20000624101327...@ng-fb1.aol.com>, wdw...@aol.com
> (WDW1972) writes:
>
> >Housekeepers/chambermaids earn an hourly wage at or above minimum
> >wage, unlike waitstaff who are paid UNDER the minimum wage
>
> If the employer is paying the UNDER the minimum wage, he is breaking
> the law! Federal and State law do not list and exception for waitstaff.
> And when you think of the cost of a room per night at WDW, then the
> tipping the chamber person question should be clear.
>
> >If I go to a restaurant & a waiter brings me my meal - do I tip him? Of
> >course, because he's paid less than minimum wage
>

> This is the big scam that the restaurant industry pushes off on you. They
> are under the same laws as any other business. They have a minimum

ModkeyMan

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
In article <3956b2d5...@news.cableinet.co.uk>,
neil....@REMOVE.cableinet.co.uk (Roger Mellie) writes:

>Are you Mr Pink in disguise?

No. I don't know who that is...
Why do you ask...What is he known for?

Jennifer Todd

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
I did it for just a few months until I could find a job in my field. I had
several regulars that would come in and tip far below fifteen percent. And
one couple that wouldn't tip at all. It couldn't have been poor service,
otherwise they wouldn't have asked for me every time they came in. Money
was far too unpredictable during that time for me. And the job is long,
hard, and unrewarding. I never once added the tip on before giving the
table the check. Restaurants must warn you if they're going to do that (it
would be somewhere on the menu).

Lisa Pooh

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
Being in the Ft Wilderness Homes you actually end up meeting the housekeeper
for your home unless you are always a early riser which we aren't. I often
hand it to them personally when I see them.
If I leave it in the Home I use an envelope I have made. I make them up on
the computer with graphics and all. I also leave notes on them when needed.
Btw to do that you often need to be multilingual as not all housekeepers
speak English.

Madmomof2 <madm...@antigopro.net> wrote in message

Lisa Pooh

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
Who says I work as wait staff. My kids have when the first started working
and changed to minimum wage jobs and the oldest is paid $30 per hour now as
a violin/viola teacher for private lessons.
I am a substitute teacher in Special Education. Never worked as waitstaff
in my life. The lowliest job I ever did was nursing assistant in high
school.
Wait staff is often an entry level job for young people and something they
do while attending college and grad school. Others choose it as a second
job because of the hours and others are truly excellent at it and pull in
great tips which they earn. These people are really great at what they do
an make your dining a true pleasure.

Mary Morgan

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
I posted a link to this page, but figured I'd just cut and paste the
info now as well. From the Dept of Labor web site FAQ:

Q: What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips?

A: The FLSA sets a Federal minimum wage of $5.15 per hour for covered,
nonexempt employees. An employer of a tipped employee is only required
to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips
received equals at least the Federal minimum wage, the employee retains
all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than
$30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's
direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the Federal minimum
hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

Some states have minimum wage laws specific to tipped employees. When an
employee is subject to both the Federal and state wage laws, the
employee is entitled to the provisions of each law which provide the
greater benefits.

ModkeyMan wrote:

> In article <8j33eu$em5$1...@slb6.atl.mindspring.net>, "Lisa Pooh"

> <lisapoo...@s-mindspring.com> writes:
>
> >Actually you are wrong here. Waitstaff are not paid minimum wage. This is
> >true in any restaurant where there is table service. They can by law be
> >paid $2.13/hr as the federal government allows the amount of tips estimated
> >to be deducted from what the employer pays.
>

> I might be wrong here, I will check the Federal Law when I get back to my
> office on monday and see how it really reads. If it does read that way, then
> shame on the restaurant industry for getting such a loop-hole into the minimum
> wage law...and shame on the employees and the customers for going along
> with it!

Madmomof2

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
FYI If the tip is added on and you disagree with it due to poor service or
whatever, you may dispute it with management. Just because it lists the
tip, isn't the end-all.

--
Leslie
Madmomof2
"Jennifer Todd" <wol...@home.com> wrote in message

J Turner

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
Mary Morgan wrote:

> I posted a link to this page, but figured I'd just cut and paste the
> info now as well. From the Dept of Labor web site FAQ:

To the people who do not tip, it does not matter to them if the
CM is making $0. They PAID to get there - so they are done.

It's a mentality, the logic is not missing.

ModkeyMan

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
In article <sla7emk...@corp.supernews.com>, "stinkerbell" <lbc...@ev1.net>
writes:

>With the exception of Disney newsgroups, I have never
>heard of tipping the people who clean your hotel room. This one took me by
>surprise the first time I read it and still makes me wonder.

Yes, this is what really got me to start questioning this whole tipping. When
I was at WDW last October, I never left a tip for the person who cleaned the
room as I hadn't heard of this before. And then this discussion came up and
now I question the whole things.

Now, just think of all the services you get and why don't you tip the others...
The UPS man who delivers your orders to your door...the dentist who cleans
your teeth...the trashman who picks up your gargabe each week...the person
who dry-cleans your closes. If waiteress and chambermaids deserve a tip, why
not these and all the rest of the service industry?

ModkeyMan

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00

ModkeyMan

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
In article <bT755.18471$C44.1...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"MeToo" <jev...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>'m not saying that you should not make a livable wage. I'd just rather pay
>it all up front. Let the employer pay you what you are worth and pass it on
>to me. I'd rather pay only once. It is your employer who is not paying you
>a fair wage. Not me...

RIGHT! When I pay about $150 or more a night to stay at WDW that should
cover the fair pay for the chamber maid. And when I am done with a $76 meal,
that should cover the fair pay for the wait person. If it does not, it is the
employer who is not paying the fair wage...and the employee for accepting it.

ModkeyMan

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
In article <3954FA...@swixo.com>, J Turner <j...@swixo.com> writes:

>Which is NOTHING. Can you live on $10,000 a year?

I worked my way through college, receiving minimum pay and never got one trip
as a dishwasher, so that now I don't have to live on minimum pay.

Kayleigh19

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
The tipping disagreement rages on:

>ModkeyMan wrote:
>> >Are they paid like waitstaff (only a couple dollars an hour) or are
>> >they actually paid an hourly wage to do their job
>
>> Both are paid a minimum of $4.75 (as set by Federal and State Law) or
>> more per hour for what they due...and depending of the company, some
>> get other benefits also.
>
>Which is NOTHING. Can you live on $10,000 a year?
>
>Forget which is proper; If you stay in a hotel, and every day the
>room is immaculate - aven after you left it a mess. Why not
>leave a few bucks.

I never leave my room a wreck. BUT--I save all year to afford a trip to
Disney, and a lot of time, there's not money left over for a tip. So, instead,
I will sometumes leave a note for the waitstaff, of the chambermaids, telling
them how sorry I was that I wasn't able to afford to tip them the way I felt
they deserved to be tipped. I know it's not much, but at leat I know my heart
was in the right place.

Kayleigh

DaveNTx

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
>I have to wonder why you would choose a job where you are $$$ dependent on
>the good graces of an unpredictable public?

What about sale people who work on commision? I worked at a high end furnature
store for many years. The sales staff did not receive a salery but worked on a
strict commision of 7% of their total sales per month. The good sales people
did quite well. Those who couldn't cut it moved on quickly. This isn't
uncommon in many high ticket sales positions. And it's not against any federal
laws.

Dave

DaveNTx

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
>>With the exception of Disney newsgroups, I have never
>>heard of tipping the people who clean your hotel room. This one took me by
>>surprise the first time I read it and still makes me wonder

This is not a new thing. It isn't something that only happens on Disney
property. One to two dollars a day is customary in hotels and motels for
housekeeping. More if you feel generous. It's a small amount and if you can't
afford it don't travel. It's like tiping the bellman or the concierge. Like
tipping the doorman who calls a taxi for you. Like tipping the valet who brings
your car to you. Like tipping the porter who handles your bag at the airport.
It's like tipping the tour director on a trip. If you don't want to extend
this courtesy to those who make your vacation more enjoyable stay home or go
camping. Visit relatives in another city. But don't stiff those who work hard
making your vacation more enjoyable. They do hard work and deserve a thank you
in more than just words.

Dave

mudpye

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
This is a great thread! Now you all have me thinking that I'm waaaayyy
over-tipping. I tend to tip more because I assumed that certain people
were expecting a bigger tip. I guess I have gotten into the habit of
tipping over after listening to too many talk shows regarding tipping
and who expects what. It sounds like this custom of tipping HAS gotten
out of hand. Am I expected to tip the Greyhound bus driver as well?
Would I tip the CM who took our picture? I probably would tip the CM
but not the bus driver as the bus driver is doing his job and taking a
picture may not be part of the CM's job. And why DO we tip skycaps?
Someone mentioned concierge. I've never stayed on a concierge floor
(too expensive and wouldn't know what was expected of me anyway! I'm
picturing 100-dollar tips all around like in a Michael J. Fox movie I
once watched.)

--
mudpye

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Roger Mellie

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00

He was one of the characters in Reservoir Dogs, and he didn't believe
in tipping. Kinda lost on you then I guess!

stinkerbell

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
I don't know about other hotels, but Disney doesn't change the sheets
everyday. I would have noticed.

Also I don't believe that I have to tip everyone under the sun or stay home.
I save my money to go on vacation, just like most of us. I do not expect
fancy towel decorations and turn down service, that I might tip for. I
expect a clean room and fresh towels. If I do not receive that I will call
the front desk and complain. If I have exceptional service from the
housekeeping staff, I will call the front desk and praise them.
Times have changed. The people who travel today are not only the very
wealthy, but the average Joe. People who work at the moderate and
inexpensive hotels know the kind of person who stays there probably had to
scrimp to get there. I will not be shamed into leaving extra money for
someone who is "doing their job." If hotels want me to make up for their
lack of wages, they need to make it clear to me what is expected. As for
Disney, if they expect me to tip housekeeping, they better come down on the
price of the hotel room.

Best tip: Buy low, sell high.

--
stinkerbell

WDW1972

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
In article <20000625023711...@ng-fg1.aol.com>, dav...@aol.com
(DaveNTx) writes:

>One to two dollars a day is customary in hotels and motels for
>housekeeping. More if you feel generous. It's a small amount and if you
>can't
>afford it don't travel.

Tipping housekeepers is becoming more common, but it is not "expected" because
those people are already making a fair wage for the job they do. Telling
someone to not travel if they don't tip a non-tipped employee is rather
rude....

There is no difference between a housekeeper and the clerk who works the cash
register at a fast food place or department store. They both work for
approximately the same hourly wage and neither is a "tipped" position like
waiters, bellmen, valet runners, etc....positions that are paid around $2/hour
or so to cover the withholding taxes on the TIPS they receive and report.

Sue - DivaofDVC aka WDW1972
DVC '97 OKW, Vero Beach, & Hilton Head

DaveNTx

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
>Telling
>someone to not travel if they don't tip a non-tipped employee is rather
>rude....

Sorry, but they ARE a tipped employee, whether or not you think so or not. This
is customary. Tipping is part of American culture. Like it or not. And
anyone in the travel industustry who does a service for you as a traveler
expects and deserves a tip. Vacation travel is a luxury. We don't need to do
it, we do it for pleasure. And if you can't come up with a few dollars for
those who make your vacation more pleasurable then don't have that extra ice
cream cone or buy that Mickey T-shirt you don't really need. Sorry, but the
rudeness comes in stiffing the people who work to make your vacation better.

Dave

DaveNTx

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
> The people who travel today are not only the very
>wealthy, but the average Joe. People who work at the moderate and
>inexpensive hotels know the kind of person who stays there probably had to
>scrimp to get there.

Don't get me wrong. I'm far from wealthy. I work for a library at a
university. The combination of library work and education does not equate to
a high wage, believe me. But I know what's expected of me when I travel. If I
can't figure the expected tips into my travel budget I don't travel. The
travel industry expects tips. Sorry, but it's a fact and saying it's not right
won't change it.

Also, if travel money is so tight as to not be able to offer a few dollars in
various tips to those who have served you, why are people complaining staying
on Disney property? Disney property is very expensive. There are a lot more
budget minded lodgings in the area around Disney World. If you can afford
Disney prices you can afford to come up with a few bucks to tip the staff.

Dave

WDW1972

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
In article <20000625114449...@ng-fj1.aol.com>, dav...@aol.com
(DaveNTx) writes:

>Sorry, but they ARE a tipped employee, whether or not you think so or not.
>This
>is customary. Tipping is part of American culture. Like it or not.

Tipping is part of the culture - for certain positions, but not housekeepers.
I speak from my management experience with Marriott Hotels... our housekeepers
are NOT tipped staff. Bellmen - yes. Servers - yes. Valet car runners - yes.
Housekeepers - no. Gift shop cashier - no. Kitchen food production workers -
no. Restaurant hostess - no. Concierge - no. Front desk clerk - no.
Maintenance guy - no. Accounting dept staff - no. Laundry workers - no.

I'll gladly tip the positions that are tipped positions, people who are
dependent on tips to live. I will not tip someone making an hourly wage above
the minimum, just for doing their job.

DaveNTx

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
>Tipping is part of the culture - for certain positions, but not housekeepers.
>
>I speak from my management experience with Marriott Hotels... our
>housekeepers
>are NOT tipped staff. Bellmen - yes. Servers - yes. Valet car runners -
>yes.
> Housekeepers - no.

If this is true, why do almost every hotel and motel now days provide either a
tip tray or a tip envelope in the room for housekeeping? If certain hotels
have a no tipping policy for housekeeping they should make that clear to the
patron upon check in.

Dave

Madmomof2

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
Thanks for writing. As you are in a position to know, I will take your
opinion on the subject. :-)

--
Leslie
Madmomof2
"WDW1972" <wdw...@aol.com> wrote in message

> In article <20000625114449...@ng-fj1.aol.com>, dav...@aol.com
> (DaveNTx) writes:
>
> >Sorry, but they ARE a tipped employee, whether or not you think so or
not.
> >This
> >is customary. Tipping is part of American culture. Like it or not.
>

> Tipping is part of the culture - for certain positions, but not
housekeepers.
> I speak from my management experience with Marriott Hotels... our
housekeepers
> are NOT tipped staff. Bellmen - yes. Servers - yes. Valet car runners -
yes.

WDW1972

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
In article <20000625123840...@ng-fj1.aol.com>, dav...@aol.com
(DaveNTx) writes:

>If this is true, why do almost every hotel and motel now days provide either
>tip tray or a tip envelope in the room for housekeeping? If certain hotels
>have a no tipping policy for housekeeping they should make that clear to the
>patron upon check in.

I doubt that the hotels ~mind~ if their employees receive tips, but I still say
it's not "expected" like it is for waiters & below-minimum wage staff. I've
mostly seen those tip envelopes in the scummier motels - the low end places,
not the nice places, and not at wdw resorts. There are businesses where
employees have set up "tip jars" that are very inappropriate as well....like in
ice cream parlors for example. That doesn't mean those people are supposed to
be tipped - but I'm sure they're grateful for the people who do put something
in the jar.

WDW1972

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
In article <39563db6$0$8317$4bb1...@news.dwave.net>, "Madmomof2"
<madm...@antigopro.net> writes:

>Thanks for writing. As you are in a position to know, I will take your
>opinion on the subject. :-)

I don't want to give the impression that people "can't" tip
housekeepers...simply that it's not required/expected. Everybody should do
what they feel is appropriate in their situation on this issue, but nobody
should feel like a cheapskate if they don't leave a tip for the housekeeper.

WDW1972

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
In article <789cls80kob9kink0...@4ax.com>, Sophelyn
<soph...@fzbzet.zet> writes:

>Tipping may be part of American culture, but then so is Kathie Lee
>Giffard. Doesn't mean we should just accept it however it presents
>itself.

ROFL!! (no offense to any Kathie Lee fans out there)

J Turner

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
WDW1972 wrote:

> I don't want to give the impression that people "can't" tip
> housekeepers...simply that it's not required/expected. Everybody should do
> what they feel is appropriate in their situation on this issue, but nobody
> should feel like a cheapskate if they don't leave a tip for the housekeeper.

I agree with this 100%. You don't have to - there is just nothing wrong
with tipping here. I do it because I feel good about it.

Lisa Pooh

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
Actually Dave, Disney will tell you that housekeeping is a non-tip position.
I'm am quite sure they are told that when hired. Any tip you leave is a
bonus. That is not to say I won't but it is not a tipped position.

DaveNTx <dav...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >Telling
> >someone to not travel if they don't tip a non-tipped employee is rather
> >rude....
>

> Sorry, but they ARE a tipped employee, whether or not you think so or not.
This

bicker_...@nospamyahoo.com

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
On 24 Jun 2000 02:13:32 GMT, modk...@aol.com (ModkeyMan) wrote:
> Tips used to be only give for exceptional service, not ordinary service, but
> great service...now it seems that its a requirement whether the service was
> good, normal or even bad!

Regardless of what tips used to be for, what they are for now is for
providing the customer, the person BEST situated to directly assess a
service-worker's performance, power over the service-worker's pay.
This isn't a passing inclination, either; it is codified in the US
employment laws and the US Tax Code.

For more on this:
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/bicker/f00000EBA.html

> And if you are a construction worker or office
> typist or TV camera man or even a policeman, when was the last time you got a
> tip?!

I wish I had the ability to control how much of the construction
worker's salary they actually received, based on how well they
prepared my house for my residency.

Office typists and police officers aren't direct service workers.

--
Brian Charles Kohn (bicker®)
"All humans are equal centers of awareness of the Universe and

bicker_...@nospamyahoo.com

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 08:49:49 GMT, mudpye <mudpy...@msn.com> wrote:
> My original question was should I be tipping more if the chamber
> service was doing more. Are they paid like waitstaff (only a couple

> dollars an hour) or are they actually paid an hourly wage to do their
> job and we are tipping extra for normal work?

Depends on the hotel. At WDW, housekeepers are paid normal wages, and
are considered by Disney as non-tipped employees. Most hotels
consider housekeepers as tipped employees and factor that into their
pay rates.

bicker_...@nospamyahoo.com

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
On 24 Jun 2000 16:25:51 GMT, modk...@aol.com (ModkeyMan) wrote:
> In article <20000624101327...@ng-fb1.aol.com>, wdw...@aol.com
> (WDW1972) writes:
> >Housekeepers/chambermaids earn an hourly wage at or above minimum
> >wage, unlike waitstaff who are paid UNDER the minimum wage
> If the employer is paying the UNDER the minimum wage, he is breaking
> the law! Federal and State law do not list and exception for waitstaff.

Federal law lists an exception for any tipped employee.

bicker_...@nospamyahoo.com

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
On 25 Jun 2000 01:39:48 GMT, modk...@aol.com (ModkeyMan) wrote:
> If waiteress and chambermaids deserve a tip, why
> not these and all the rest of the service industry?

Again; it isn't a matter of who *deserves* a tip; rather it is a
matter of which positions are paid less, and for which the
establishment passes such reduction through to the customer in the
form of lower prices than would have been charged otherwise, based on
the assumption that tips will be given.

stinkerbell

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
If I have an armload of souvenirs and am struggling to open my door and YOU
happen to walk by and see me in a predicament and consequently help me,
should I tip you as well? Thank you always seemed sufficient to me.
--
stinkerbell

----------
In article <3963c189...@bicker.news>, bicker_...@NOSPAMyahoo.com

ModkeyMan

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
In article <20000625115948...@ng-fj1.aol.com>, dav...@aol.com
(DaveNTx) writes:

>I work for a library at a university.

And how much in tips do you get there Dave? lol

>If I can't figure the expected tips into my travel budget I don't travel.

Then you shouldn't travel, but don't push off on the rest of us what "travel
industry" has brainwashed you to believe. If my $427a night at Port Orleans
Resort doesn't cover it, then that is thier problem and not mine. If my $40 a
plate for dinner doesn't cover it, then that is their problem and not mine. I
will tip for exceptional service, not for just doing the required. You can
stay at home till you save up the additional $500 in tips for every person you
encounter, but the rest of us don't have to.

ModkeyMan

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
(DaveNTx) writes:

>Sorry, but they ARE a tipped employee, whether or not you think so or not.
>This is customary. Tipping is part of American culture. Like it or not.

Bull shit! Who says tipping is part of the American culture?
"The travel industry"! Wow, now there is an impartial and unbiased source of
information. LOL Kind of like asking the gun industry if guns are safe for
kids or the cigarette industry if cigarette are good for you! LOL LOL Of
course the travel industry will try to push that off on us.

Because of your stupid post, Dave, I damn sure going to stop tipping just
because someone expects it! And I will be able to buy two additional WDW
t-shirts!

ModkeyMan

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
In article <250620000815303705%denm...@dcsi.net>, "Dennis M. Marks"
<denm...@dcsi.net> writes:

>Employers of tipped employees, i.e., employees who customarily
>and regularly receive more than $30 a month in tips, may consider the
>tips of these employees as part of their wages, but must pay a direct
>wage of at least $2.13 per hour if they claim a tip credit.

Thank you for posting this portion of the law.

But this is the* minimum* required pay by law, it doesn't prevent an employer
from paying more. Right? The employer can pay more and the employee does not
have to accept such low pay and hope that tips will cover it. With the high
cost of meals at WDW why does WDW expect their guest to cover their lack of low
pay, if in fact their wait staff is paid low.

ModkeyMan

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
In article <slc6vmp...@corp.supernews.com>, "stinkerbell" <lbc...@ev1.net>
writes:

>I will not be shamed into leaving extra money for
>someone who is "doing their job." If hotels want me to make up for their
>lack of wages, they need to make it clear to me what is expected. As for
>Disney, if they expect me to tip housekeeping, they better come down on the
>price of the hotel room.

Right on! And I would apply this also restaurants. If the hotel or restaurant
want us to make up for their lack of wages, then they need to tell us that
directly. They should have signs at the checking counter and on the front of
the menu saying this.

I don't mind tipping for exceptional service, but tipping to make up for poor
pay is totally different.

Kayleigh19

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
DaveNTx said:
>>>With the exception of Disney newsgroups, I have never
>>>heard of tipping the people who clean your hotel room. This one took me by
>>>surprise the first time I read it and still makes me wonder
>
>This is not a new thing. It isn't something that only happens on Disney
>property. One to two dollars a day is customary in hotels and motels for

>housekeeping. More if you feel generous. It's a small amount and if you
>can't
>afford it don't travel. It's like tiping the bellman or the concierge. Like
>tipping the doorman who calls a taxi for you. Like tipping the valet who
>brings
>your car to you. Like tipping the porter who handles your bag at the airport.
>
>It's like tipping the tour director on a trip. If you don't want to extend
>this courtesy to those who make your vacation more enjoyable stay home or go
>camping. Visit relatives in another city. But don't stiff those who work
>hard
>making your vacation more enjoyable. They do hard work and deserve a thank
>you
>in more than just words.
>
>Dave

I drive to WDW, I unload and unpack all my own luggage. I do not order room
service, and I stay at a value resort. I also inform housekeeping, that
depending on how long I stay, I may not need clean bed linens. I do request
clean towels, however. What, exactly, Dave, should I be tipping for? And as
far as not going, why should I? We work hard all year to afford a vaction. I
don't think I should delay my vacation because you have a tipping fixation.

Kayleigh

DaveNTx

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
>don't think I should delay my vacation because you have a tipping fixation.

Sorry, but I DON'T have a tipping fixation. I have good manners.

Dave

DaveNTx

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
>Then you shouldn't travel, but don't push off on the rest of us what "travel
>industry" has brainwashed you to believe. If my $427a night at Port Orleans
>Resort doesn't cover it, then that is thier problem and not mine. If my $40
>plate for dinner doesn't cover it, then that is their problem and not mine.

You pay high prices for many things that have extra costs attached when you
travel. When you buy your admission media at WDW you then have extra taxes
added to the final cost of the ticket and you don't flinch. If you drive into
a WDW parking lot you are expected to pay an extra amount to park your car.
Why then with your logic shouldn't these costs be figgured into the cost of
your admission ticket? Tipping for service is no different. The only
difference is that it's voluntary, and as such can be avoided by those who take
that service for granted.

As to my working in a library and not being tipped, your arguement is
irrelevant. I took the job knowing that tips were not part of my compensation.
But when someone works in food service or hotel service they are drawn to the
job because the prospect of tips is part of what they hope for in compensation.
If we didn't tip resturants and hotels wouldn't be able to draw any type of
quality people to do these jobs. Or if the wages of the service people were
higher we'd still be paying for their service in a higher cost of food or
lodging. Disney's prices would then be unreachable to those of you who whine
that you scrimp all year for a one week vacation.

Dave

Kayleigh19

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
I said to DaveNTx:

>>don't think I should delay my vacation because you have a tipping fixation.

and his reply was:

>Sorry, but I DON'T have a tipping fixation. I have good manners.
>
>Dave

"If you don't have the money to tip, don't travel."

This is your idea of good manners? I'd hate to see your rude ones.

Kayleigh

Kayleigh19

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
Dave, the vacation master, said:
>Or if the wages of the service people were
>higher we'd still be paying for their service in a higher cost of food or
>lodging. Disney's prices would then be unreachable to those of you who whine
>that you scrimp all year for a one week vacation.

I make no bones that I save all year to take my family to Disney. We don't do
it at the expense of Disney employees. We do what we can, but neither do we
blow all of our money on souvenirs. We go, have fun, and eat. And, if you
don't like it, you can tip extra for us.

Kayleigh

DaveNTx

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
>"If you don't have the money to tip, don't travel."
>
>This is your idea of good manners? I'd hate to see your rude ones.

Sorry, but I believe and mean what I say. If you don't like to tip, don't eat
out. Make your own meals. If you don't want to tip hotel employees on a
vacation, go camping, stay in a tent or trailer. Or rent a condo for a week.
Frankly, it's that simple. There are ways around tipping if you feel that
strongly about it. But stiffing service people isn't the solution. My
statement is an honest critisism of people ignoring something that they should
understand before they leave home. Tipping is part of receiving travel service.
Travel to WDW expensive. Even when planed with a budget in mind. It really
irks me when people decide to travel on an expensive vacation, demand a top
quality experience and then nickel and dime everything and blame their
"frugality" on others. If you can afford to go to WDW then you can afford a
few extra bucks to tip people who make your vacation better.

Dave

Erin

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
>The travel industry expects tips. Sorry, but it's a fact and saying it's
>not right won't change it.

Yes, it might. Not everything is as set in stone as you seem to
think.

Erin

Kayleigh19

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
Dave said:>Sorry, but I believe and mean what I say. If you don't like to tip,

don't
>eat
>out. Make your own meals. If you don't want to tip hotel employees on a
>vacation, go camping, stay in a tent or trailer. Or rent a condo for a week.
>Frankly, it's that simple. There are ways around tipping if you feel that
>strongly about it. But stiffing service people isn't the solution. My
>statement is an honest critisism of people ignoring something that they
>should
>understand before they leave home. Tipping is part of receiving travel
>service.
> Travel to WDW expensive. Even when planed with a budget in mind. It really
>irks me when people decide to travel on an expensive vacation, demand a top
>quality experience and then nickel and dime everything and blame their
>"frugality" on others. If you can afford to go to WDW then you can afford a
>few extra bucks to tip people who make your vacation better.
>
>Dave

I do not "nickel and dime" everything. I tip where I am able, and I mainly eat
at counter service places so that I do not run into this. I tip where I am
able, but if it's not a LARGE tip, I like to leave a note. And, as has been
thouughly reiterated, if tipping were EXPECTED, Disney should let its guests
know that. A lot of foreign visitors have no ideas of America's tipping
customs, and it might be helpful to have some sort of pamphlet to give to
arrivals.

And, it's my vacation. I can spend it any way I like. If youchoose to
overtip, fine. Just don't insist that everone do the same. It's needless and
might confuse people trying to research a vacation. If it bothers you that
much, you tip, and don't worry what everyone else is doing.

Kayleigh

DaveNTx

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
>I do not "nickel and dime" everything. I tip where I am able, and I mainly
>eat
>at counter service places so that I do not run into this.

Oh, you mean you avoid the experience of a good resturant and go for counter
service to avoid a tip? And you say you don't "nickle and dime" on your
vacation?

> I tip where I am
>able, but if it's not a LARGE tip, I like to leave a note.

Now there is a good idea. " Leave a note." That pays the bills of the people
who've made your vacation better, doesn't it? How would you like to receive a
note instead of your paycheck next payday?

>And, as has been
>thouughly reiterated, if tipping were EXPECTED, Disney should let its guests
>know that.

Now there is an interesting point. Disney should let guests know how to behave
properly on their vacation. Sorry, but I would rather think that people would
know how to behave before they left home. I see I'm wrong on this, I guess.

>And, it's my vacation. I can spend it any way I like.

Yes, you certainly can. You have that right. And the staff that serves you
has the right to talk about you after you've left.

>If you choose to overtip, fine.

I never said I "over tip". What I said is that I tip. And by some people's
standards on this newsgroup I may even under tip. But at least I make an
effort that is more than a "note".

> Just don't insist that everone do the same. It's needless and
>might confuse people trying to research a vacation.

I see. Your way is the correct way. Sorry, I didn't realize that. My
mistake.

> If it bothers you that
>much, you tip, and don't worry what everyone else is doing.

I jumped into this conversation when people were wondering what was proper. I
stated my feelings. Rest assured that I don't worry what everyone else is
doing. Try not to feel so guilty and threatened when someone else intimates
that you may be incorrect in your views.

Dave

Paragon

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00

stinkerbell <lbc...@ev1.net> wrote in message

> If I have an armload of souvenirs and am struggling to open my door and
YOU
> happen to walk by and see me in a predicament and consequently help me,
> should I tip you as well? Thank you always seemed sufficient to me.
> --
> stinkerbell

Um, what? Doesn't it depend on whether or not the person walking by is
actually employed to walk the halls and help people in such a manner? What
are you trying to say here?

stinkerbell

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
Just seems to me that I should be tipping anyone who does something nice for
me deserves a tip. At least according to this thread.
--
stinkerbell

----------
In article <slJ55.76310$5k2.1...@dfw-read.news.verio.net>, "Paragon"

mudpye

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
In article <3961c0e1...@bicker.news>,

bicker_...@NOSPAMyahoo.com wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 08:49:49 GMT, mudpye <mudpy...@msn.com> wrote:
> > My original question was should I be tipping more if the chamber
> > service was doing more. Are they paid like waitstaff (only a couple
> > dollars an hour) or are they actually paid an hourly wage to do
their
> > job and we are tipping extra for normal work?
>
> Depends on the hotel. At WDW, housekeepers are paid normal wages, and
> are considered by Disney as non-tipped employees. Most hotels
> consider housekeepers as tipped employees and factor that into their
> pay rates.

Well, now I'm just totally confused by it all. I'm to the point where
I'd tip a dollar or two "anyway" and go up from there depending on the
service (whether the chamber service is going to "get personal" and
know the guests' habits and needs and wants). I would feel like I was
cheating the chamber service if I didn't tip them but as WDW
housekeepers, do they "expect" a tip anyway? Am I "expected" to tip
for normal service?
--
mudpye

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Stephen Banks

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
Tough call, I just heard that WDW is raising rates on the Dixie Landing
in March 2001 to $177 for a garden room view. Ouch!

Lisa Pooh

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
It is not stiffing anyone by not tipping in a non-tipping job. Tip if you
like but it is NOT A REQUIREMENT.

> >"If you don't have the money to tip, don't travel."
> >
> >This is your idea of good manners? I'd hate to see your rude ones.

DaveNTx

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
<mudpy...@msn.com> wrote:
>> > My original question was should I be tipping more if the chamber
>> > service was doing more. Are they paid like waitstaff (only a couple
>> > dollars an hour) or are they actually paid an hourly wage to do their
>> > job and we are tipping extra for normal work?
>>
>> Depends on the hotel. At WDW, housekeepers are paid normal wages, and
>> are considered by Disney as non-tipped employees. Most hotels
>> consider housekeepers as tipped employees and factor that into their
>> pay rates.
>>

>Well, now I'm just totally confused by it all. I'm to the point where
>I'd tip a dollar or two "anyway" and go up from there depending on the
>service (whether the chamber service is going to "get personal" and
>know the guests' habits and needs and wants). I would feel like I was
>cheating the chamber service if I didn't tip them but as WDW
>housekeepers, do they "expect" a tip anyway? Am I "expected" to tip
>for normal service?
>--
>mudpye

With this information that some housekeeping staff is tipped staff at some
locations and non-tipped at other locations, I would think that it wouldn't be
out of line to ask their status on check-in. A simple "Is your housekeeping
staff tip or non-tip status?" doesn't seem an impropper question. If you know
housekeeping is a non-tipped status, and you feel the service is above average
you could make the decision to leave a tip upon receiving special treatment.
Conversly, if you know the housekeeping staff is of a tipped status you could
let your concience be your guide.

Dave

stinkerbell

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
Sounds very reasonable. Meanwhile, since we know that WDW housekeeping is a
non-tipped position, I am keeping my $5 a day and buying more souvenirs!
--
stinkerbell

----------
In article <20000626145209...@ng-mb1.aol.com>, dav...@aol.com

bicker_...@nospamyahoo.com

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
On Sun, 25 Jun 2000 22:19:56 -0500, "stinkerbell" <lbc...@ev1.net>
wrote:

> > Again; it isn't a matter of who *deserves* a tip; rather it is a
> > matter of which positions are paid less, and for which the
> > establishment passes such reduction through to the customer in the
> > form of lower prices than would have been charged otherwise, based on
> > the assumption that tips will be given.
> If I have an armload of souvenirs and am struggling to open my door and YOU
> happen to walk by and see me in a predicament and consequently help me,
> should I tip you as well? Thank you always seemed sufficient to me.

You must have misread my message. A stranger holding the door open
for you isn't paid less by the hotel to give you, the person for whom
the service is being rendered, power to affect the service-provider's
wages.

By the same token, the door attendants at deluxe Disney resorts aren't
either, so I wouldn't tip them.

However, the parking valets and the restaurants servers are indeed
paid less factoring in that you'll tip them, thereby giving you power
over their wages.

bicker_...@nospamyahoo.com

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:38:40 GMT, mudpye <mudpy...@msn.com> wrote:
> > Depends on the hotel. At WDW, housekeepers are paid normal wages, and
> > are considered by Disney as non-tipped employees. Most hotels
> > consider housekeepers as tipped employees and factor that into their
> > pay rates.
> Well, now I'm just totally confused by it all. I'm to the point where
> I'd tip a dollar or two "anyway" and go up from there depending on the
> service (whether the chamber service is going to "get personal" and
> know the guests' habits and needs and wants).

Yes...and that confusion is very understandable, since Disney has
mucked things up by figuring that their staff won't be getting tips.
Typically tipping protocols are industry-wide, and Disney (and
Marriott and others) are bucking the industry by making those
positions non-tipped.

My feeling is that I tip housekeepers unless I have inside
information, as I do for WDW.

bicker_...@nospamyahoo.com

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
On 26 Jun 2000 01:41:29 GMT, modk...@aol.com (ModkeyMan) wrote:
> But this is the* minimum* required pay by law, it doesn't prevent an employer
> from paying more. Right? The employer can pay more and the employee does not
> have to accept such low pay and hope that tips will cover it. With the high
> cost of meals at WDW why does WDW expect their guest to cover their lack of low
> pay, if in fact their wait staff is paid low.

How can we arrange it so everyone comes to the same conclusion about
whether a certain person gets tipped or not? If we leave it up to
what you suggest -- some arbitrary feeling of "high cost" -- a
determination made by the person who actually does the paying -- then
we'll end up with remarkably silly conclusions like the person who
figures that a $8 steak dinner at the "99 Restaurant" is "high cost"
(since it is higher than the $7 burger dinner), and use that as
rationalization for not tipping.

The reality is that our *culture* dictates how we avoid such
situations. Our society dictates that certain service workers get
tipped.

Of course, you can always to decide to be anti-social. <grin>

bicker_...@nospamyahoo.com

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 19:56:17 GMT, "MeToo" <jev...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:
> I have to wonder why you would choose a job where you are $$$ dependent on
> the good graces of an unpredictable public?

It's called "customer service" and it is the hallmark of hospitality.

bicker_...@nospamyahoo.com

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 21:53:03 -0500, "Madmomof2"
<madm...@antigopro.net> wrote:
> FYI If the tip is added on and you disagree with it due to poor service or
> whatever, you may dispute it with management. Just because it lists the
> tip, isn't the end-all.

What's interesting is that sentiments like some of those expressed
here are leading towards a situation where this will no longer be the
case. Specifically, if there comes a time when tipping is eschewed by
large portion of the population, hospitality providers, like
restaurants, will have to adopt a different model for paying their
staff. Instead of a tip, we'll have what you find in many European
countries: a service charge. It'll look like a tip, smell like a tip,
walk like a tip, but instead of the diner having full range of
discretion to make it as large or small as they wish, it will be
computed automatically and paying it, at the specified amount, will be
compulsory. Instead of a few diner getting an unfair bargain, all
diners will have their influence over the quality of service summarily
taken away from them.

bicker_...@nospamyahoo.com

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
On 25 Jun 2000 01:39:49 GMT, modk...@aol.com (ModkeyMan) wrote:
> >'m not saying that you should not make a livable wage. I'd just rather pay
> >it all up front. Let the employer pay you what you are worth and pass it on
> >to me. I'd rather pay only once. It is your employer who is not paying you
> >a fair wage. Not me...
> RIGHT! When I pay about $150 or more a night to stay at WDW that should
> cover the fair pay for the chamber maid. And when I am done with a $76 meal,
> that should cover the fair pay for the wait person. If it does not, it is the
> employer who is not paying the fair wage...and the employee for accepting it.

Please explain to me why you would prefer "A" to "B" where:

- A is a $76.00 dinner bill to which you add a $11.40 tip

- B is a $87.40 dinner bill

I just can't understand why anyone would choose "B".

Paragon

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00

<bicker_...@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 21:53:03 -0500, "Madmomof2"
> <madm...@antigopro.net> wrote:
> > FYI If the tip is added on and you disagree with it due to poor service
or
> > whatever, you may dispute it with management. Just because it lists the
> > tip, isn't the end-all.
>
> What's interesting is that sentiments like some of those expressed
> here are leading towards a situation where this will no longer be the
> case. Specifically, if there comes a time when tipping is eschewed by
> large portion of the population, hospitality providers, like
> restaurants, will have to adopt a different model for paying their
> staff. Instead of a tip, we'll have what you find in many European
> countries: a service charge. It'll look like a tip, smell like a tip,
> walk like a tip, but instead of the diner having full range of
> discretion to make it as large or small as they wish, it will be
> computed automatically and paying it, at the specified amount, will be
> compulsory. Instead of a few diner getting an unfair bargain, all
> diners will have their influence over the quality of service summarily
> taken away from them.

Funny thing--this is already done in Coronado Springs, in the Pepper Market.
It's just not a full service restaurant........

mudpye

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
dav...@aol.com (DaveNTx) wrote:
> >Telling
> >someone to not travel if they don't tip a non-tipped employee is
rather
> >rude....
>
> Sorry, but they ARE a tipped employee, whether or not you think so or
not. This
> is customary. Tipping is part of American culture. Like it or not.
And
> anyone in the travel industustry who does a service for you as a
traveler
> expects and deserves a tip. Vacation travel is a luxury. We don't
need to do
> it, we do it for pleasure. And if you can't come up with a few
dollars for
> those who make your vacation more pleasurable then don't have that
extra ice
> cream cone or buy that Mickey T-shirt you don't really need. Sorry,
but the
> rudeness comes in stiffing the people who work to make your vacation
better.

> Dave

So does this mean that I am also supposed to tip my travel agent?

mudpye

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
In article <20000625121142...@nso-fx.aol.com>,
> (DaveNTx) writes:
>
> >Sorry, but they ARE a tipped employee, whether or not you think so
or not.
> >This
> >is customary. Tipping is part of American culture. Like it or
not.

> Tipping is part of the culture - for certain positions, but not
housekeepers.
> I speak from my management experience with Marriott Hotels... our
housekeepers
> are NOT tipped staff. Bellmen - yes. Servers - yes. Valet car
runners - yes.
> Housekeepers - no. Gift shop cashier - no. Kitchen food production
workers -
> no. Restaurant hostess - no. Concierge - no. Front desk clerk -
no.
> Maintenance guy - no. Accounting dept staff - no. Laundry workers -
no.

> I'll gladly tip the positions that are tipped positions, people who
are
> dependent on tips to live. I will not tip someone making an hourly
wage above
> the minimum, just for doing their job.
>
> Sue - DivaofDVC aka WDW1972
> DVC '97 OKW, Vero Beach, & Hilton Head

Ah hah! So this means that technically, we do not need to tip the
chamber service. However, this would make us look awful and cheap.

ModkeyMan

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
In article <slfdu17...@corp.supernews.com>, "stinkerbell" <lbc...@ev1.net>
writes:

>Sounds very reasonable. Meanwhile, since we know that WDW housekeeping is a
>non-tipped position, I am keeping my $5 a day and buying more souvenirs!

RIGHT ON!

The same for me.

ModkeyMan

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
In article <260620001323287228%sba...@nuforia.com>, Stephen Banks
<sba...@nuforia.com> writes:

>$177 for a garden room view. Ouch!

Plus a daily tip based on the number of people in the room, according to Dave!
That's a Double-Ouch!!

ModkeyMan

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
In article <20000626024306...@ng-fa1.aol.com>, dav...@aol.com
(DaveNTx) writes:

>> I tip where I am
>>able, but if it's not a LARGE tip, I like to leave a note.
>
>Now there is a good idea. " Leave a note." That pays the bills of the people
>who've made your vacation better, doesn't it? How would you like to receive
>a note instead of your paycheck next payday?

WDW staff do recieve pay checks and you know that! Now, Dave, you are being
dishonest here.

And if the guest leaving a nice thank you note is not enough, then they have
the problem...the same one that you have.

ModkeyMan

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
In article <20000626010704...@ng-cc1.aol.com>, kayle...@aol.com
(Kayleigh19) writes:

>if tipping were EXPECTED, Disney should let its guests

>know that. A lot of foreign visitors have no ideas of America's tipping
>customs, and it might be helpful to have some sort of pamphlet to give to
>arrivals.

Yes, Dave, why don't you write a WDW tipping guide for WDW to distribute.
You could start out by stating that WDW staff are paid so low that we guest
must make up the difference by give big tips! I bet you that WDW would
turn down this offer....

ModkeyMan

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
In article <20000626005056...@ng-bk1.aol.com>, dav...@aol.com
(DaveNTx) writes:

> If you don't like to tip, don't eat out. Make your own meals.

Dave, you are sounding more and more like a troll...

As an earlier poster so simply and directly stated, "you can tip extra for us."

DaveNTx

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
>My feeling is that I tip housekeepers unless I have inside
>information, as I do for WDW.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Dave

It is loading more messages.