New Holiday Small World Version

1 view

The Royal1

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

On Oct 27 It's A Small World will go down for rehab for an undetermined
amount of time to convert the attraction to a "It's A Small World Holiday"
version for the holidays. Christmas lights have already begun to be
installed on the facade, it'll be interesting to see how that looks.
Sounds good...

-TR1
****"Fame is humanity's most prized treasure" - Author Unkown****

****"Distant and Docile at The Happiest Place On Earth"****
*A Dittohead, a Parrothead, and a Cast Member, What more is there?*

Al Lutz

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

The Royal1 <ther...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Oct 27 It's A Small World will go down for rehab for an
> undetermined amount of time to convert the attraction to a
> "It's A Small World Holiday" version for the holidays.
> Christmas lights have already begun to be installed on the
> facade, it'll be interesting to see how that looks. Sounds
> good...

I had thought this was an interesting idea too, until I heard who was
behind it.

Michael "Light Magic" Maines.

So be afraid, VERY afraid folks. It could turn out to be pretty kitschy
and ugly. The only good thing is that this will be temporary, and that the
ride will be returned to its original state [hopefully refurbished?] at the
conclusion of this promotion. Pressler has said he couldn't compete with
Knott's and Halloween, so he wants to "own Christmas." Sigh... he is so
clueless.

Marc Davis [who along with Mary Blair originally put this ride together] as
I understand is quite livid about it. I myself cannot understand why
Entertainment is being allowed to junk up an attraction like this, they
should be hard at work doing entertainment, not attractions. That's WDI's
job.

DL is planning to advertise this as a major attraction for the holidays -
kind of silly for something that is basically just a glorified "Candy Cane
Lane." If it gets a tepid response, we can hope this serves as the Maines'
swan song with the park. As I understand it, Sigfried & Roy and Ann
Margaret really need him to work on their Vegas shows, and DL needs QUALITY
show concepts and ideas. ;)

BTW, instead of the Small World music, you will hear two songs, Deck the
Halls and Jingle Bells [as I understand]. They tried to make it snow
inside, but it couldn't be worked out.

Why do I feel such a huge sense of dread about this? Ahhh, this is
Presslerland, that's why. Talk DOWN to the audience, and not UP. And do
it on the cheap...

Al
--
Al Lutz -- (alw...@aol.com) -- FDC & TDC "Deluxe" Chrome Buzz Lightyear
Author of D-I-G - (Disneyland Info Guide) http://members.aol.com/alweho

Scott M. Leonard

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

The Royal1 wrote:

> On Oct 27 It's A Small World will go down for rehab for an undetermined
> amount of time to convert the attraction to a "It's A Small World Holiday"
> version for the holidays. Christmas lights have already begun to be
> installed on the facade, it'll be interesting to see how that looks.
> Sounds good...
>
> -TR1

What's next; a Tropical Christmas... Tiki Room style? (Actually, that
might not be bad..._)
tk421 8:-)

Shoshana Lewin

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

But if It's a small world is supposed to represent children all over the
world, is it relly appropriate to put Christmas lights on it?

Love, Shoshana
"In every job that must be done there is an element of fun. You find the
fun and snap...the job's a game" - Mary Poppins
"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death" - Mame
#403A Lathrop Hall 604 Kentucky blvd. Columbia, MO 65201 (573) 771-2583

On 20 Sep 1997, The Royal1 wrote:

> On Oct 27 It's A Small World will go down for rehab for an undetermined
> amount of time to convert the attraction to a "It's A Small World Holiday"
> version for the holidays. Christmas lights have already begun to be
> installed on the facade, it'll be interesting to see how that looks.
> Sounds good...
>
> -TR1

ObiWan37

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

>But if It's a small world is supposed to represent children all over the
>world, is it relly appropriate to put Christmas lights on it?
>
>Love, Shoshana

It's a HOLIDAY small world, not a christmas one. They could put that
jewish candle thing it. What is the darn thing called? Manorah? Something
like that...

-John

Scott M. Leonard

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

The Royal1 wrote:

> On Oct 27 It's A Small World will go down for rehab for an undetermined
> amount of time to convert the attraction to a "It's A Small World Holiday"
> version for the holidays. Christmas lights have already begun to be
> installed on the facade, it'll be interesting to see how that looks.
> Sounds good...
>
> -TR1

Hmmmm, this could either be really cute, or really annoying. But, what
the heck- it will give me a reason to ride it again.
tk421 8:-)

du...@acadia.net

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

On 20 Sep 1997 18:26:11 GMT, ther...@aol.com (The Royal1) wrote:

>On Oct 27 It's A Small World will go down for rehab for an undetermined
>amount of time to convert the attraction to a "It's A Small World Holiday"
>version for the holidays. Christmas lights have already begun to be
>installed on the facade, it'll be interesting to see how that looks.
>Sounds good...
>
>-TR1

>****"Fame is humanity's most prized treasure" - Author Unkown****
>
> ****"Distant and Docile at The Happiest Place On Earth"****
>*A Dittohead, a Parrothead, and a Cast Member, What more is there?*

About how long will it be down.
We are going to be there in November
and would hate to miss that ride.
Our Daughter would really like it.

Judi Lane

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

Al Lutz wrote:

> The Royal1 <ther...@aol.com> wrote:
> > On Oct 27 It's A Small World will go down for rehab for an
> > undetermined amount of time to convert the attraction to a
> > "It's A Small World Holiday" version for the holidays.
> > Christmas lights have already begun to be installed on the
> > facade, it'll be interesting to see how that looks. Sounds
> > good...
>
> I had thought this was an interesting idea too, until I heard who was
> behind it.
>
> Michael "Light Magic" Maines.

Uh-oh. How many pixies will now invade the attraction?

> So be afraid, VERY afraid folks. It could turn out to be pretty kitschy
> and ugly. The only good thing is that this will be temporary, and that the
> ride will be returned to its original state [hopefully refurbished?] at the
> conclusion of this promotion. Pressler has said he couldn't compete with
> Knott's and Halloween, so he wants to "own Christmas." Sigh... he is so
> clueless.

"Own Christmas"? Geez, didn't I read this in a Dr. Seuss book?

> Marc Davis [who along with Mary Blair originally put this ride together] as
> I understand is quite livid about it.

I can understand that. Kind of like spending many hours on a souffle,
only to have the dinner guest drown it in ketchup.

> I myself cannot understand why
> Entertainment is being allowed to junk up an attraction like this, they
> should be hard at work doing entertainment, not attractions. That's WDI's
> job.

Absolutely. Why Entertainment is permitted to continue in this fashion
escapes me. It's probably safe to assume that Team Disney does not view
Glendale favorably? How arrogant of them, especially in light of how WDI
could have pervented many mistakes Entertainment made with LM. When are
DL execs finally going to learn this lesson?

> DL is planning to advertise this as a major attraction for the holidays -
> kind of silly for something that is basically just a glorified "Candy Cane
> Lane." If it gets a tepid response, we can hope this serves as the Maines'
> swan song with the park. As I understand it, Sigfried & Roy and Ann
> Margaret really need him to work on their Vegas shows, and DL needs QUALITY
> show concepts and ideas. ;)

Al, I think you need to add a resume page for Michael Maines, too. And
be sure to email that puppy to all the Vegas resorts. Maybe even
straight to David Copperfield and Wayne Newton.

> BTW, instead of the Small World music, you will hear two songs, Deck the
> Halls and Jingle Bells [as I understand].

Here's a terrific opportunity to take advantage of the multi-cultural
aspects of the attraction, and play the Christmas theme right into it.
Most of the nations represented in Small World have their own Christmas
songs, like "O Tannenbaum" in Germany. Why not play some of the regional
songs, in the native languages, instead of two English/American tunes
that we all know? How pathetic!

>They tried to make it snow
> inside, but it couldn't be worked out.

["No no no! Don't even go there, Judi! You'll give them ideas that they
shouldn't read!"]

I'm surprised they didn't try to fake the snow with confetti! And I'm
sure
there's plenty of it available, too. =8^O

> Why do I feel such a huge sense of dread about this? Ahhh, this is
> Presslerland, that's why. Talk DOWN to the audience, and not UP. And do
> it on the cheap...

The DL Exec's Christmas Carol:

Oh the plush that we sell is frightful
But the profit's sooo delightful
And since we've no heart or soul
Al can blow, Al can blow, Al can blow!

The passholders all are tragic
'Cuz they whined about Light Magic
And the roses and swords a-glow
Al can blow! Al can blow! Al can blow!

(I can hear Team Disney belting this one out right now.)

Judi
-who thinks even "Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano (which I adore) would
fit the Small World Christmas theme better than Deck the Halls and
Jingle Bells!

Scott M. Leonard

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

> > BTW, instead of the Small World music, you will hear two songs, Deck the
> > Halls and Jingle Bells [as I understand].
>
> Here's a terrific opportunity to take advantage of the multi-cultural
> aspects of the attraction, and play the Christmas theme right into it.
> Most of the nations represented in Small World have their own Christmas
> songs, like "O Tannenbaum" in Germany. Why not play some of the regional
> songs, in the native languages, instead of two English/American tunes
> that we all know? How pathetic!

Because having so many songs playing at the same time would be a audio
nightmare. But if they could tie all holiday songs together (like an
MSEP arrangement, where disney songs blended into one another without
sounding bad), then that would be cool.
tk421 8:-)

LiteMagic1

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

<<Michael "Light Magic" Maines.>>

He could also be Michael "The Spirit of Pocahontas" Maines, or
Michael "The Hunchback of Notre Dame's Festival of Fools" Maines.

Lite

Visit the OFFICIAL Light Magic web site at
http://www.disney.com/Disneyland/LightMagic/index.html
(Yes it's still up and running)

Pantryman

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

>What's next; a Tropical Christmas... Tiki Room style? (Actually, that
>might not be bad..._)

SHUT UP!!!! DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!!!!
Visit Matt's Disneyland Sound Page!!
http://members.aol.com/pantryman

Kevin Yee

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

As an example, On 21 Sep 1997, Pantryman wrote:

> >What's next; a Tropical Christmas... Tiki Room style? (Actually, that
> >might not be bad..._)
>
> SHUT UP!!!! DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!!!!

No fear there. As a matter of fact, I do not think Disney takes good or
bad ideas from this NG. Why? Because recently I stumbled across the
employee policy manual (from 1995), wherein it states, under the subject
heading "Internet Use":

"A. Unsolicited Submission of Ideas
It is the long-standing policy of the Company not to accept the submission
of ideas without prior authorized invitation....As soon as you realize
that an Internet message you have received constitutes the submission of
an idea you should stop reading the message, delete it from your system
and retain no copies of it." (P.40)

We should thus have no fear that our jokes about the Tiki Room etc will be
taken seriously. OTOH, this also means that our serious ideas about Parade
reform (Al comes to mind here) and new attractions (everyone comes to mind
here) will also likely not be read.

Kevin

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-
"You think you're so POWERFUL, well, uh (heh-heh) this is MY DREAM!!"

BenzoJo

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

The tired old ride needs something new... I used to enjoy it when I was
young, but now I just wait for one of the little dolls to swirl off their
platforms and fall in the water screaming for mercy because they never
learned how to swim. Will I save them??? NO NO NO!!! Let the little
brain clogging, hymm singing, wood wasting Bastards DIE!!!!!

Maybe a little Christmas Joy will mellow me.

"we're the clean-up crews for parties we were too young to attend"

Ben...@aol.com

Thom Campbell

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

snopes <sno...@snopes.com> wrote:

>Al Lutz <alweho...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> They tried to make it snow inside, but it couldn't be worked out.
>

> Do you think they would have remembered to restrict the snow to
> the northern hemisphere areas?
>
> - snopes

>| snopes is a mechanical device that exhibits elasticity according |
>| to Hooke's Law. He is usually made of steel, brass or bronze. |

No, I doubt it. When they authorized Dept. 56 to reproduce buildings
from DL and WDW they allowed them to put snow on the roofs even though
it has never snowed on either location that I know of. This is
"entertainment" not Imagineering remember.

Thom

Sarah Sammis

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

Judi Lane wrote:

> Al Lutz wrote:
> >
> > The Royal1 <ther...@aol.com> wrote:
> > > On Oct 27 It's A Small World will go down for rehab for an
> > > undetermined amount of time to convert the attraction to a
> > > "It's A Small World Holiday" version for the holidays.
> > > Christmas lights have already begun to be installed on the
> > > facade, it'll be interesting to see how that looks. Sounds
> > > good...
> >
> > I had thought this was an interesting idea too, until I heard who was
> > behind it.
> >
> > Michael "Light Magic" Maines.
> >

> Uh-oh. How many pixies will now invade the attraction?

Forget pixies. What about confetti?

> > So be afraid, VERY afraid folks. It could turn out to be pretty kitschy
> > and ugly. The only good thing is that this will be temporary, and that the
> > ride will be returned to its original state [hopefully refurbished?] at the
> > conclusion of this promotion. Pressler has said he couldn't compete with
> > Knott's and Halloween, so he wants to "own Christmas." Sigh... he is so
> > clueless.
> >

> "Own Christmas"? Geez, didn't I read this in a Dr. Seuss book?

You're a mean one Mr Pressler...I mean Mr. Grinch...

[snip]

If it is going to be just a Christmas Ride, a lot of people are going to be
left out. And on a ride that promotes diversity, shame, shame!

Holidays are tricky beasties.

I think Disney might get stung with this attempt if they don't approach the
concept with kid-gloves.

Sarah
http://www.pussreboots.pair.com/disney.htm

Mrliver1

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

>From: Kevin Yee <ky...@uci.edu>

>No fear there. As a matter of fact, I do not think Disney takes good or
>bad ideas from this NG. Why?

<SNIP>

THIS explains alot...everyone here is stealing all the really GOOD ideas
from the imagineers and they arent allowed to use them.

-Mr. Liver

I HERE BY APOLOGIZE FOR ALL SPELLING AND GRAMMAR ERRORS
Mr Liver's Tribute to Fantasmic -
http://www.cybertime.net/~cprophet/fantasmic.html
Disneyland's Music of the Night - http://members.aol.com/mrliver1/

Scott....@xsannet.gov

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

pant...@aol.com (Pantryman) wrote:

>SHUT UP!!!! DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!!!!

No no. Speak up with all of your bad ideas. That way, they can't use
them.

scott

M. Scott Garner [\]
LAN Analyst, Corporation for Regional Information Systems
Scott....@sannet.gov

"Events have a way of following in the footsteps of faith."
- Graham MacIntosh

snopes

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

The Doctor

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97

Sarah Sammis <ssa...@mail22.pair.com> wrote:

>> Uh-oh. How many pixies will now invade the attraction?
>
>Forget pixies. What about confetti?

The got to make it appear to snow don't they?

The Doctor

"And isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway? I mean
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when
you're good and crazy, oooh oooh oooh, the sky is the
limit!"-The Tick

Suzy Davenport

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97

Shoshana wrote:

>But if It's a small world is supposed to represent children all over the
>world, is it relly appropriate to put Christmas lights on it?

Maybe they're planning to bring little missionary dolls into it's a
small world to lead all the dolls from non-Christian cultures into the
fold. Then they can all celebrate Christmas together.

- The Suzy Davenport

Keith Bacon

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97

> Hmmmm, this could either be really cute, or really annoying.

Couldn't that same description apply to Small World in its current form?

-k

Keith Bacon

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97
> What's next; a Tropical Christmas... Tiki Room style?

What about a Small McDonald's World?

It's a world of burgers

it's a world of fries

it's a world of shakes

and hot apple pies....

-k

The Doctor

Sep 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/24/97

Suzy Davenport <mae...@seanet.com> wrote:

And the Spaniard dolls will be torturing all those that refuse to
convert. They could all be singing the "Spanish Inquesition" song
from History of the World Pt 1. Won't that be wonderful.

I'm sorry, but "Christmastizing" Small World is a BIG mistake. It
completly destroys the original.

LBrown1213

Sep 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/25/97

>Maybe they're planning to bring little missionary dolls into it's a
>small world to lead all the dolls from non-Christian cultures into the
>fold. Then they can all celebrate Christmas together.
>
>- The Suzy Davenport

This is the funniest thing I've read here in a long time...

Shoshana Lewin

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

No, I meant what about the Jewish and Muslim children who don't celebrate
Christmas at all. They celebrate winter obviously, but they wouldn't have
to be missionary dolls. Most of the middle eastern countries are already
represented in the attraction except Israel.

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Suzy Davenport wrote:

> Shoshana wrote:
>
> >But if It's a small world is supposed to represent children all over the
> >world, is it relly appropriate to put Christmas lights on it?

The Doctor

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

I agree with most people here, that retheming SW to a Christmas theme
is in poor taste, and destroys the message that SW was created to
convey. But, rather than go on about it, lets think of some other
rides that Disney could retheme for Christmas.

JC - Nope

Splash Mt - Sure, replace Zip-ah-dee-do-dah with some Xmas songs,
slightly redo some of the animatronics and it would work quite nicly I
think.

Frontierland - Decorate the area with Christmas decorations that are
authentic (in style) to those used in the real frontier.

C'mon people, help me out. I'm not feeling very creative tonight.

Jon Nadelberg

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

In article <342445...@ix.netcom.com>,
Scott M. Leonard <tk...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>The Royal1 wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 27 It's A Small World will go down for rehab for an undetermined
>> amount of time to convert the attraction to a "It's A Small World Holiday"
>> version for the holidays. Christmas lights have already begun to be
>> installed on the facade, it'll be interesting to see how that looks.
>> Sounds good...
>>
>> -TR1
>
>Hmmmm, this could either be really cute, or really annoying. But, what
>the heck- it will give me a reason to ride it again.

How could it make it any more annoying than it already is? This sounds
like a really fun thing to do, and if Pressler said he can't
compete with Knott's for Halloween, he's right. Disneyland's
Halloweens were not really very special, but Christmas at
Disneyland has a lot of potential, I think.

Jon Nadelberg

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

In article <Pine.A41.3.95q.970926...@sp2n09.missouri.edu>,

Shoshana Lewin <c69...@showme.missouri.edu> wrote:
>No, I meant what about the Jewish and Muslim children who don't celebrate
>Christmas at all. They celebrate winter obviously, but they wouldn't have
>to be missionary dolls. Most of the middle eastern countries are already
>represented in the attraction except Israel.

They could have the Jewish and Mulim children sitting behind concrete
barricades shooting weapons at each other.

I don't see the big deal with this, they did it with the Country Bear
Jamboree, and that's worked out real well. If they did it to
all the shows, that'd be one heck of a neat thing.

Jon Nadelberg

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

In article <342c91b...@news.cyberis.net>,

The Doctor <doc...@whoever.com> wrote:
>I agree with most people here, that retheming SW to a Christmas theme
>is in poor taste, and destroys the message that SW was created to
>convey. But, rather than go on about it, lets think of some other
>rides that Disney could retheme for Christmas.
>
>JC - Nope
>
>Splash Mt - Sure, replace Zip-ah-dee-do-dah with some Xmas songs,
>slightly redo some of the animatronics and it would work quite nicly I
>think.
>
>Frontierland - Decorate the area with Christmas decorations that are
>authentic (in style) to those used in the real frontier.
>
>C'mon people, help me out. I'm not feeling very creative tonight.

Let's see....here's 10:

They could put a Santa hat on Lincoln, one with a little bell that
jingles when he moves.

The silent movie theater could show only Christmas themed cartoons.

They could replace all the animals in the jungle cruise with reindeer,
and the dancing natives with elves.

The Tree House could be covered with decorations that look like
they were made out of coconut and bamboo.

All the pirates could be made to be stealing Christmas presents
instead of the loot they are stealing now. They could start
the town fire by igniting dried Christmas trees.

The haunted mansion dancing ballroom scene's birthday party
could be replaced with a Christmas party gone horribly wrong.

Tom Sawyer Island could be covered end to end with tinsel.

The moat in front of the castle could be frozen solid for ice
skating. They could take out the swans first to be nice.

Spaced Mountain's rockets could be converted into sleighs filled
with presents that people could toss at each other while riding.

And of course, Santas with mouse ears.

Merry Christmas.

Charles Prince

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:58:46 GMT, doc...@whoever.com (The Doctor)
wrote:

>I agree with most people here, that retheming SW to a Christmas theme
>is in poor taste, and destroys the message that SW was created to
>convey. But, rather than go on about it, lets think of some other
>rides that Disney could retheme for Christmas.
>
>JC - Nope
>
>Splash Mt - Sure, replace Zip-ah-dee-do-dah with some Xmas songs,
>slightly redo some of the animatronics and it would work quite nicly I
>think.
>
>Frontierland - Decorate the area with Christmas decorations that are
>authentic (in style) to those used in the real frontier.
>
>C'mon people, help me out. I'm not feeling very creative tonight.
>

>The Doctor

To fit with the new "retro" themed Tomorrowland they could use
aluminum Christmas trees and color wheels. It would even fit into
their budget. ;-)

Chuck Prince

Scott M. Leonard

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

<<everything snipped>

> The silent movie theater could show only Christmas themed cartoons.

Actually, that's not a bad idea....
tk421 8:-)

gjw

Sep 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/27/97

> >I agree with most people here, that retheming SW to a Christmas theme
> >is in poor taste, and destroys the message that SW was created to
> >convey. But, rather than go on about it, lets think of some other
> >rides that Disney could retheme for Christmas.

Well, it's too late now, but CircleVision could have shown a special
holiday tour film; perhaps a winter tour of the U.S. during the
Christmas period (i.e. store windows in Manhattan, sleigh rides in
Vermont, etc.), or perhaps even a world tour to take in how Christmas
and other holidays are celebrated around the world.

James and Chris

Sep 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/28/97

Jon Nadelberg wrote:

> >Splash Mt - Sure, replace Zip-ah-dee-do-dah with some Xmas songs,
> >slightly redo some of the animatronics and it would work quite nicly I think.
> >Frontierland - Decorate the area with Christmas decorations that are
> >authentic (in style) to those used in the real frontier.
> >C'mon people, help me out. I'm not feeling very creative tonight.

> Let's see....here's 10:

> They could put a Santa hat on Lincoln, one with a little bell that
> jingles when he moves.

> The silent movie theater could show only Christmas themed cartoons.

> They could replace all the animals in the jungle cruise with reindeer,
> and the dancing natives with elves.
> The Tree House could be covered with decorations that look like
> they were made out of coconut and bamboo.
> All the pirates could be made to be stealing Christmas presents
> instead of the loot they are stealing now. They could start
> the town fire by igniting dried Christmas trees.
> The haunted mansion dancing ballroom scene's birthday party
> could be replaced with a Christmas party gone horribly wrong.
> Tom Sawyer Island could be covered end to end with tinsel.
> The moat in front of the castle could be frozen solid for ice
> skating. They could take out the swans first to be nice.
> Spaced Mountain's rockets could be converted into sleighs filled
> with presents that people could toss at each other while riding.
> And of course, Santas with mouse ears.

(End hilarious, but condensed post)

ROTFLMAO, Jon!!! Oh that's sooooo funny!
I loved the part about Lincoln and a jingly bell hat that would jingle
when he moves...
(Praying this will never happen, but, knowing Disney lately...)
Christine :)
LOL!!!

Replace "lastnamecj" with "wilsoncj" to reply! :)

Andy Dannelley

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

The Doctor <doc...@whoever.com> wrote:

> Suzy Davenport <mae...@seanet.com> wrote:
>
> >Shoshana wrote:
> >
> >>But if It's a small world is supposed to represent children all over the
> >>world, is it relly appropriate to put Christmas lights on it?

...snip

> I'm sorry, but "Christmastizing" Small World is a BIG mistake. It
> completly destroys the original.

What could they possibly do for the countrys that *Don't* celebrate
Christmas (like much of the Middle East, Orient, and other non-Chistian
cultures?

It seems to me that Disney is just asking for another *uprising* out of
the non-christian groups. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought IASW was
supposed to be a joining of the nations children, celebrating diversity.
Religion is *such* a contriversal subject, heck, weren't many wars
fought about religious differences? I sure would not like to see a
religious war fought *IN* IASW

Just my $.002

CU@DL

Andy D

New! see my Hercules Victory Parade comparison photos and...
See my Disneyland and WDW photos at <http://www.primenet.com/~dannell>

CU@DL

Andy D

New! see my Hercules Victory Parade comparison photos and...
See my Disneyland and WDW photos at <http://www.primenet.com/~dannell>

gjw

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Andy Dannelley wrote:

> What could they possibly do for the countrys that *Don't* celebrate
> Christmas (like much of the Middle East, Orient, and other non-Chistian
> cultures?

Which brings up an interesting point. Do Muslim nations observe
Christmas in any form? I know that their position is that they revere
Christ as a major prophet (along with Abraham, Moses, and of course
Mohammud), and I believe that their holy book, the Koran, tells the
story of Jesus' birth. But they also are strictly monotheistic and hold
that Jesus was not divine ("There is no god but God..."), merely a
prophet. So what is their position on Christmas? Is it celebrated in
any way? I'm sure we must have some muslim users on this newsgroup who
can inform us...

Meanwhile, speaking of Asia, I believe that Japan celebrates Christmas,
although I'm not sure what percentage of the population joins in. Yes,
I know that most of them are not Christian, but I guess Japan just likes
the winter holiday. I remember hearing about a "Christmas cake" in
Japan... Can one of our Japanese users clue us in on this?

Korea has a fairly large Christian population (over 40%, I believe), and
South Vietnam had a sizeable Christian minority before the fall of
Saigon - so those two might also celebrate Christmas in some form. I
would guess that most other Asian countries probably do not. Nor does
India, or other Hindu countries, to the best of my knowledge.

On the other hand, all of Europe DOES celebrate Christmas, of course,
along with North America, South America, Australia, Russia, about half
of Africa (Kenya's population, for instance, is 66% Christian), and a
few spots in the middle east (like Lebanon).

So Christmas isn't as isolated an event as it might seem at first
glance. It truly is a global holiday. So the Small World motif isn't
THAT far out.

Whether they can make it a good RIDE, on the other hand, is another
question altogether. They'll need more than Christmas lights and "Jingle
Bells"...

Al Lutz

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

gjw wrote

> Whether they can make it a good RIDE, on the other hand, is
> another question altogether. They'll need more than Christmas
> lights and "Jingle Bells"...

Goodness, don't tell them that... ;)

Al
[who wonders if maybe even a 1967 Christmas retro-theme with Felicano
singing Feliz Navidad and aluminum trees lighted by color wheels may be
better than this...]
--
Al Lutz -- (alw...@aol.com) -- FDC & TDC "Deluxe" Chrome Buzz Lightyear
Author of D-I-G - (Disneyland Info Guide) http://members.aol.com/alweho
PROMOTE PRESSLER! - http://members.aol.com/alweho/pressler/pressler.htm
"Strange how potent cheap music can be" (Noel Coward's "Private Lives")

Michelle Saito

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997 01:36:49 GMT, jo...@netcom.com (Jon Nadelberg)
wrote:

>How could it make it any more annoying than it already is? This sounds
>like a really fun thing to do, and if Pressler said he can't
>compete with Knott's for Halloween, he's right. Disneyland's
>Halloweens were not really very special, but Christmas at
>Disneyland has a lot of potential, I think.

Special or not, it was still a lot of fun. The Malifacent in the
parking lot was -really- cool, and they got to bring out a lot of
characters that you hardly EVER see in the park anymore. I actually
spent a fair amount of time on Main Street just watching which
characters would show up! Not only that, there was Nightmare Before
Christmas thingies in the park that made me really, really happy.

Pressler may be right in the fact that DL can't compete with Knott's,
but you also gotta keep in mind that DL is going to appeal to a
completely different crowd.

Although, Christmas at DL does have a lot of potential.. DL even has a
different feel to it when all the Christmas stuff is up, and it's a
really nice feeling. I just had a weird thought -- Christmas HM?
There can be a Christmas tree in the middle of the cemetary. Better
yet, Space Mountain with Christmas music. :) Ok, I'm taking this way
too far now.. :)

-Michelle
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/7333
On ICQ: Mistryl (1150745)

Lt D'Amato (Andrew Rich)

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

In article <3439de34...@news.pacbell.net>, sup...@pacbell.net
says...

> On Sat, 27 Sep 1997 01:36:49 GMT, jo...@netcom.com (Jon Nadelberg)
> wrote:
>
> >How could it make it any more annoying than it already is? This sounds
> >like a really fun thing to do, and if Pressler said he can't
> >compete with Knott's for Halloween, he's right. Disneyland's
> >Halloweens were not really very special, but Christmas at
> >Disneyland has a lot of potential, I think.

Here's my thought on Halloween. There are four major theme parks in the
LA area: Six Flags Magic Mountain, Universal Studios, Knott's, and of
course Disneyland. Three out of the four are doing a "Halloween Haunt"
event for most of the month -- and not one of them is claiming to "own"
Halloween, they're just doing their best to make it as entertaining as
possible in a very competitive environment. The forth has thrown in the
towel, apparently reasoning that if they can't "own" Halloween, they
won't do it at all. Doesn't anyone in DL management realize this is just
money that won't be coming into the park? I would -willingly- spend the
cash for a "hard ticket" Halloween at DL, but because of short-sighted
decisions by apparently clueless management, I'm not able to do so.

<snip>

> Although, Christmas at DL does have a lot of potential.. DL even has a
> different feel to it when all the Christmas stuff is up, and it's a
> really nice feeling. I just had a weird thought -- Christmas HM?
> There can be a Christmas tree in the middle of the cemetary. Better
> yet, Space Mountain with Christmas music. :) Ok, I'm taking this way
> too far now.. :)

Now those are some interesting ideas! Tie the Haunted Mansion in with
Nightmare Before Christmas, perhaps? And get Dick Dale to do some
Christmas music on his surf guitar, a la the Ventures. I think these are
terrific ideas, that of course will never happen because "where's the
bottom line?"

--
Lt. D'Amato (Andrew Rich) damato [at] project [dash] insomnia [dot] com
Return email altered: make obvious changes to reply. ICQ 1828049

Al Lutz

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

Robert D. wrote:
> uhm, why should Disney do an event if they *lost* money on
> the event the past 2 years?

They made money. Just not enough from what I understand. Plus they only
tried to establish a tradition in two years - look at how long Knott's did
their Haunt, and built it into what it is.

> A business only does business if it is profitable. In
> the case of halloween, I've heard that they lost money
> and didn't make money. Disney is in it for the money...
> they aren't a charity group that "gives away the farm."

A good business realizes that sometimes huge profits may be a little further
down the road. I'm willing to bet if they had spent a few more years
refining the concept, and tweaking the marketing, it would have turned into
a huge moneymaker for them.

At Halloween the public needs an alternative event such as DL's. Everything
else has been way too focused on gore and violence. This was a terrific
idea, [which WDW seems to be succeeding with BTW[ which leads me to believe
it was just mis-managed and looked at only short term.

JMHO,
Al

Robert D.

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

uhm, why should Disney do an event if they *lost* money on the event the
past 2 years? A business only does business if it is profitable. In