Disneyland "Park"

Craig Arbour

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99
Actually I believe it was the opposite. The Park was put in to keep the word
Disneyland from falling into the public domain. So it was for copyright
reasons they put it back in.

Craig
CAnder1755 wrote in message
<19990209195553...@ng-ce1.aol.com>...
>>Whats up with these ads that refer to Disneyland "Park" or Disneyland
>>"Resort."
>
> actually i might be mistaken but i think walt orignally called it
>DIsneyland "park"........anyone correct me if i am wrong but i thought
htere
>was some copyright/legal issues the past 10 or so years so they took of the
>"park" part and now they just re-added it.........am i wrong?? anyone post
in
>response if i am worng
> CANDER1755....
> FLAME resistant Mo' Fo'

Al Lutz

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99
Souplexer wrote:
> Whats up with these ads that refer to Disneyland
> "Park" or Disneyland "Resort." As far as I'm
> concerned, Walt named the place DISNEYLAND.
> Why do they have to mess with everything?

Actually Richard, it has been called "Disneyland Park" since almost the
beginning. If you look at some of the first guide books from 1955, they
utilize that term almost all the time.

When Disneyland first opened, it was felt people wouldn't know quite what it
was supposed to be - hence the use of the term park. Now of course, they
can focus on that term to help distinguish the different areas of the whole
resort.

In a way I think it's a good idea they continue to use the name properly -
it keeps the park foremost in how the whole think is identified. And after
seeing what is coming in DCA, they will need that strong I.D. - that's for
sure. :)

Al
--
Al Lutz - [alweho...@aol.com] - FDC & TDC "Deluxe" Chrome Buzz Lightyear
Author of Disneyland Information Guide [D-I-G] http://members.aol.com/alweho

Andy Dannelley

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
Al Lutz <alweho...@aol.com> wrote:

...snip

> In a way I think it's a good idea they continue to use the name properly -
> it keeps the park foremost in how the whole think is identified. And after
> seeing what is coming in DCA, they will need that strong I.D. - that's for
> sure. :)

... Jumping up on my soap box

I only wish the tram spielers would get it right. Frequently they say
"Welcome to the Magic Kingdom" Well, at least know what coast I am on.
Magic Kingdom = (right coast [FL]), Disneyland = (Left coast [CA]).
Yeah, I know it is The Magic Kingdom *of* Disneyland, but too many
spielers leave off the "of Disneyland" part and just say the "Magic
Kingdom" part.

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to the phrase "The Magic Kingdom of
Disneyland", but *not* just "The Magic Kingdom" when referring to
Disneyland.

Falling off my soap box...

CU@DL

Andy D

Learn the differences! Never be lost at a Disney park again...
See my Disneyland and Walt Disney World comparison photos at,
Anaheim to Orlando: A Bi-Coastal Comparison of Disney
Also home to Independent Disneyland Polls: Express your opinion
Drop by: <http://www.primenet.com/~dannell>

Souplexer

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
Are you sure about that Al? Seems that Walt wanted to call his 1st idea as a
Magical Little Park across from the studio. It then grew to a "Land,"
hence..Disneyland. I remember him refering to Disneyland as his park or the
Magic Kingdom, Happiest Place on Earth..etc, but never as Disneyland Park.
Sounds redundant...The marquis out front says Disneyland, the dedication plaque
in front of the flagpole says Disneyland....maybe I'm wrong, I just never
heard him say it ....
Richard H.

Werner W. Weiss

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99

Take a look at http://www.mcs.net/~werner/welcome.html and
you'll see that in 1974, the sign on Harbor Boulevard showed
"Disneyland Park & Hotel - Entrance" (with "Disneyland" in
big letters and the rest on a single line underneath).

Now having said that, I'm not aware of any other cases where
the expression "Disneyland Park" was used during the 1950s,
1960s, or 1970s. When I do research for Yesterland, I often
read up in old books, brochures, and Disney News magazines.
They all just refer to "Disneyland," not "Disneyland Park."

I'm sure there must be some exceptions. For example, I
wouldn't be surprised if there are some references to
"Disneyland park" (with "park" not necessarily capitalized)
in text which primarily deals with the Disneyland Hotel.

Now that Disney is building the "Disneyland Resort" -- a
complex of two theme parks, three hotels, and Downtown Disney,
it makes some sense to use the term "Disneyland Park" for
the original park.

Also, I used to carpool with a lawyer who explained to me
that trademarks, service marks, and registered trademarks
need to be used as adjectives to describe something else.
Hence, we see Tide(R) Detergent, not just Tide, or Scotch(R)
brand Adhesive Tape, not just Scotch Tape.

At least they're not calling it "Disneyland brand theme park."

-- Werner Weiss ** A Visit to Yesterland **
<wer...@mcs.com> http://www.yesterland.com

LQAKWolf

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99

In article <36C229F1...@mcs.com>, "Werner W. Weiss" <wer...@mcs.com>
writes:

>Take a look at http://www.mcs.net/~werner/welcome.html and
>you'll see that in 1974, the sign on Harbor Boulevard showed
>"Disneyland Park & Hotel - Entrance" (with "Disneyland" in
>big letters and the rest on a single line underneath).

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know when the sign in it's current form was
built? Also, I may be mistaken, but didn't there used to be some sort of small
sign in reds and oranges somewhere on West St. back in the early '80s?

Ax CS2 aR1 D45 FY2 nA k0 W1 M8

"You can't respect somebody who kisses your ass. It just doesn't work." --
"Ferris Bueller's Day Off"

DiznyAdict

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
>Falling off my soap box...
>
>CU@DL
>
>Andy D

I think you were pushed off! ;) hehe

Miss Laurie!
I was, is and always will be a frog but remove the FROG to email me! :o)

"He looks like a giant bottle of Pepto Bismol walking around"
-- My friend, Keoni referring to Piglet at our WDW character breakfast.

AP2 aO1 ELF D20 FW3 nA k0

CAnder1755

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99

Miss Laurie then wrote:
>I think you were pushed off! ;) hehe

No actually he was shot off.....TWAT!!! TWAT!!!.............fo' sho'

CANDER1755....
I am one FLAME resistant mo' fo'

GingerX

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
LQAKWolf wrote:

> In article <36C229F1...@mcs.com>, "Werner W. Weiss" <wer...@mcs.com>
> writes:
>
> >Take a look at http://www.mcs.net/~werner/welcome.html and
> >you'll see that in 1974, the sign on Harbor Boulevard showed
> >"Disneyland Park & Hotel - Entrance" (with "Disneyland" in
> >big letters and the rest on a single line underneath).
>
> Just out of curiousity, does anyone know when the sign in it's current form was
> built?

I remember seeing it be installed in mid 1989. I hear we are getting a
brand new one soon

> Also, I may be mistaken, but didn't there used to be some sort of small
> sign in reds and oranges somewhere on West St. back in the early '80s?

Don't recall that.

GX

> Ax CS2 aR1 D45 FY2 nA k0 W1 M8
>
> "You can't respect somebody who kisses your ass. It just doesn't work." --
> "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"

"It's getting to the point where we need a help centah for the help
centah"

Weezy Jefferson

"Stick it up, watch me bleed, blood from my cunt, I'm you whore, your my
cunt!"

Stains-Tiffany 1987

Jim723rej

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
>Just out of curiousity, does anyone know when the sign in it's current form
>was
>built? Also, I may be mistaken, but didn't there used to be some sort of

>small
>sign in reds and oranges somewhere on West St. back in the early '80s?

This new since was put up circa 1990 - in time for DL's 35th anniversary. I
remember driving up to the entrance for a time and seeing both the old and new
sign on Harbor, side by side. Don't know about the West St. signs, though. :)

Jimmy
TDC Captain EO

"The first rule of imagination: there are no rules
If you can imagine it, you can do it
Believe in yourself
Never say never
Imagine the possibilities
the possibilities are endless."

LQAKWolf

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99

In article <36C2B0...@geocities.com>, GingerX <gin...@geocities.com>
writes:

>> Also, I may be mistaken, but didn't there used to be some sort of small
>> sign in reds and oranges somewhere on West St. back in the early '80s?
>>

>Don't recall that.
>
>GX

Just to clarify, the sign in question, if it existed, was north on West St.,
somewhat close to Ball. I seem to remember it being not much larger than your
average sign for a small liquor store, etc. It was backlit, and I think it was
mostly in reds and oranges. It just said "Disneyland" (or maybe "Disneyland
Park!" : ) ), and I *think* it might have said something about a West St.
entrance. The reason I ask is that I remember being about 8-years-old, and
seeing this sign on my very first time driving by the park, rather than the
main gate sign (my father took a wrong turn, if I remember right), and being
absolutely crushed that maybe Disneyland would not match up to all I had hoped
it would be, since all I could see was the sign, and an ivy-covered berm, which
somehow I equated to surrounding a *real* park (grass, benches, etc.), instead
of my dream Disneyland. It was dusk, and we were going to our hotel first, and
then we would visit Disneyland in the morning. I remember being so worried,
but I didn't want to tell anyone, because I didn't want to ruin it for them.
Needless to say, my fears were assuaged and more the next morning! : )

BTW, does anyone have a pic of the Harbor Blvd. sign, circa 1985? If so
(Werner, I'm sure YOU have one, if nobody else : ) ), could you e-mail it to
me? My browser is having problems (again!), and I'd love to see it. Thanks!

AK Wolf
(eternally grateful!)

Al Lutz

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
rlm...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> The items I have from the early 1960's refer
> to Walt Disney's Disneyland

You know guys, this is driving me crazy! ;) I swear somewhere I saw guide
books or maps that said "Disneyland Park" from around the late fifties or
early sixties. I'll keep looking around to see where it was I saw that [it
wasn't in Nickel Tour or Van France's book]. And I clearly remember, as a
kid, that term used somehow when visiting the park.

I think my first stop on Sunday will be at the Disneyland Hotel where they
have that huge collage of memorabilia in a showcase across from the
convention center main room. If I see something there that might help
confirm that, I'll take a photo and post it. :)

rlm...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
The items I have from the early 1960's refer to Walt Disney's Disneyland

In article <36C229F1...@mcs.com>,

wer...@mcs.com wrote:
> Souplexer wrote:
> >
> > Are you sure about that Al? Seems that Walt wanted to call his 1st idea as
> > Magical Little Park across from the studio. It then grew to a "Land,"
> > hence..Disneyland. I remember him refering to Disneyland as his park or the
> > Magic Kingdom, Happiest Place on Earth..etc, but never as Disneyland Park.
> > Sounds redundant...The marquis out front says Disneyland, the dedication
plaque
> > in front of the flagpole says Disneyland....maybe I'm wrong, I just never
> > heard him say it ....
> > Richard H.
>

> Take a look at http://www.mcs.net/~werner/welcome.html and
> you'll see that in 1974, the sign on Harbor Boulevard showed
> "Disneyland Park & Hotel - Entrance" (with "Disneyland" in
> big letters and the rest on a single line underneath).
>

> Now having said that, I'm not aware of any other cases where
> the expression "Disneyland Park" was used during the 1950s,
> 1960s, or 1970s. When I do research for Yesterland, I often
> read up in old books, brochures, and Disney News magazines.
> They all just refer to "Disneyland," not "Disneyland Park."
>
> I'm sure there must be some exceptions. For example, I
> wouldn't be surprised if there are some references to
> "Disneyland park" (with "park" not necessarily capitalized)
> in text which primarily deals with the Disneyland Hotel.
>
> Now that Disney is building the "Disneyland Resort" -- a
> complex of two theme parks, three hotels, and Downtown Disney,
> it makes some sense to use the term "Disneyland Park" for
> the original park.
>
> Also, I used to carpool with a lawyer who explained to me
> that trademarks, service marks, and registered trademarks
> need to be used as adjectives to describe something else.
> Hence, we see Tide(R) Detergent, not just Tide, or Scotch(R)
> brand Adhesive Tape, not just Scotch Tape.
>
> At least they're not calling it "Disneyland brand theme park."
>
> -- Werner Weiss ** A Visit to Yesterland **
> <wer...@mcs.com> http://www.yesterland.com

--Richard
For Intellegent ADD readers: My posts are points to ponder.
For Bottom Feeders of ADD: My posts are for entertainment purposes only.
You can find my email name on my HP: http://www.angelfire.com/wa/rlmsoft

Redd Rockett

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
In article <19990211014351...@ngol08.aol.com>,
lqak...@aol.com says...

> In article <36C229F1...@mcs.com>, "Werner W. Weiss" <wer...@mcs.com>
> writes:
>
> >Take a look at http://www.mcs.net/~werner/welcome.html and
> >you'll see that in 1974, the sign on Harbor Boulevard showed
> >"Disneyland Park & Hotel - Entrance" (with "Disneyland" in
> >big letters and the rest on a single line underneath).
>
> Just out of curiousity, does anyone know when the sign in it's current form was
> built? Also, I may be mistaken, but didn't there used to be some sort of small

> sign in reds and oranges somewhere on West St. back in the early '80s?

October 6, 1989.

Jason
Visit the Happiest Page on Earth at:
http://wed.simplenet.com/

AGKoolAid

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
The closest thing that I have found was a 1996 Flex Passport calling it
Disneyland Park, though I could have sworn that it's been called this since
opening.

I even checked a Spring of 1976 Disneyland today, and found nothing.

Andrew
AGKoolAid
Ar3 aR1 ES D240 FY6 nA k0 W0 M0
"The easy way would be to just go buy a ride that's an off-the-shelf ride.
That's not what we should do at Epcot. We should be creating rides that offer
new technology. To do that, you have to start from scratch."

Altoona

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
LQAKWolf wrote:

> In article <36C2B0...@geocities.com>, GingerX <gin...@geocities.com>
> writes:
>
> >> Also, I may be mistaken, but didn't there used to be some sort of small
> >> sign in reds and oranges somewhere on West St. back in the early '80s?
> >>
> >Don't recall that.
> >
> >GX
>
> Just to clarify, the sign in question, if it existed, was north on West St.,
> somewhat close to Ball. I seem to remember it being not much larger than your
> average sign for a small liquor store, etc. It was backlit, and I think it was
> mostly in reds and oranges. It just said "Disneyland" (or maybe "Disneyland
> Park!" : ) ), and I *think* it might have said something about a West St.
> entrance.

Dunno about this for sure, but I, too, remember a smallish sign like
this--can't recall it's location, but I remember such a small-ish
directional sign on the west side of the park--actually thinking it was
probably more familiar than the huge sign since, when I was a kid, we
usually stayed at the DLH. In fact, driving in, seeing the big sign,
*still* seems strange (and wonderful) to me--despite the fact that I've
done so more than a few times now.

The reason I ask is that I remember being about 8-years-old, and
> seeing this sign on my very first time driving by the park, rather than the
> main gate sign (my father took a wrong turn, if I remember right), and being
> absolutely crushed that maybe Disneyland would not match up to all I had hoped
> it would be, since all I could see was the sign, and an ivy-covered berm, which
> somehow I equated to surrounding a *real* park (grass, benches, etc.), instead
> of my dream Disneyland. It was dusk, and we were going to our hotel first, and
> then we would visit Disneyland in the morning. I remember being so worried,
> but I didn't want to tell anyone, because I didn't want to ruin it for them.
> Needless to say, my fears were assuaged and more the next morning! : )

Yay for happy endings! Golly, I could feel the child-you's
disappointment!

Lisa