Submarine Voyage: There's Hope

DscveryBay

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

There's a couple of new signs above the docking area for the Submarines at
Disneyland (the area where the non-operational Subs are kept) and a big, bright
blue tarp. The signs, which can bee seen from many places around the lagoon,
and also the Monorail station, say:
"ATLANTIS EXPEDITION
IMAGINEERING PREPARATION BASE"
Wooo-hooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fab

The Fabulous Disney Bay...er, Babe-
So many stupid people, so few comets...
addCode: AP2 aR D50 FM nA

CAnder1755

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

YEAHHH!!!!!!!!! the SUBS are staying!!!!!!! =)

Mrliver1

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

cande...@aol.com (CAnder1755) writes:

>YEAHHH!!!!!!!!! the SUBS are staying!!!!!!! =)

I can't believe you actually like the Subs Chris... after all they have less
ehart and charm then Alice and Peter Pan. And they aren't as thrilling as the
Rocket Rods.

That's amazing.

-Mr. Liver
This post now features multiple multitudes of mispellings!
--The long awaited ADD FAQ - For You're reading pleasure
http://members.aol.com/mrliver1/addfaq/
-The Music of Main Street
http://www.cybertime.net/~cprophet/mainstreet/

Karen O'

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

It starts. <--- in a Timon voice.

Wooo hooo is right, Fab!!! I like your new sig line, btw.
--

.+'*'+. .+'*'+. .+'*'+. .+'*'+. .+'*'+.
****ka...@randomgraphics.com, Hips...@aol.com****

DLoriso

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

I cornered an Imaginerr earlier today at the park....he said that the Atlantis
attraction will most likely not open until 2002...however, it looks like subs
will take its final bow Labor day weekend 1998...it just makes me wonder, since
Atlantis will open after California adventure, just what will the park get over
the next four years....seems to me that a 4 year drought period of no new rides
at Disneyland will be suicide move in the current cut throat southern
california theme park market.

Jack Danger

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

Fab-

While I know know almost nothing about this project. The name alone
has me more excited than the New Tomorrowland and DCA combined. The
theme of this project is something that can capture my imagination.

gjw

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

DscveryBay wrote:

> There's a couple of new signs above the docking area for the Submarines at
> Disneyland (the area where the non-operational Subs are kept) and a big, bright
> blue tarp. The signs, which can bee seen from many places around the lagoon,
> and also the Monorail station, say:
> "ATLANTIS EXPEDITION
> IMAGINEERING PREPARATION BASE"
> Wooo-hooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what will the new Atlantis ride be like? Basically an improved
version of the subs, or something different? (Please tell me they
aren't going to turn it into another thrill ride! ;)

K.E.R.

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

>There's a couple of new signs above the docking area for the Submarines at
>Disneyland (the area where the non-operational Subs are kept) and a big,
bright
>blue tarp. The signs, which can bee seen from many places around the
lagoon,
>and also the Monorail station, say:
>"ATLANTIS EXPEDITION
>IMAGINEERING PREPARATION BASE"
>Wooo-hooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I take it you didn't believe me when I said we had nothing to worry about.
Well, told ya so! :~)

From initial plans I've heard, there will be a scare factor later in the
ride. Think of it as Alien Encounter crossed with the Subs.

--
"Open our eyes, and wish on a star in the sky... and keep the dream alive!"
To respond directly, remove the bureaucracy. (If only it were that easy)

You must have read my legal disclaimer at:
http://www.project-insomnia.com/ker/disclaimer.txt
before proceeding to read the contents of this message.

Quote(s) of the day (or whenever I feel like changing it):
Besides being the first Comedian for The Golden Horsehoe, what other
Disneyland show did Wally Boag work on?

Answer to yesterday's question:
"The African Queen".
[What movie was the inspiration for the Jungle Cruise?]

K.E.R.
Thane of ADD, and creator of ABMD!
ºoº

BKittyhawk

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

It's likely that once the subs stop running and the maintance on the subs stops
as well, that they will never run again. They need constant care or they will
freeze up, and they do not meet current ADA laws.

CapnDisney

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

K.E.R wrote:

>From initial plans I've heard, there will be a scare factor later in the
>ride. Think of it as Alien Encounter crossed with the Subs.

oooohhhhhh I think I'm gonna like it here!

Steve!

++++++++++IMPORTANT UPDATE!++++++++++++++++

======EFFECTIVE 1 JUNE: my new e-mail address is captdisney at aol dot com.
Please update your addressbooks and buddy lists, I apologize for the
inconvenience ================

I'm not scrounging fer rum! It be pie I'm after!

++NEW ADDRESS!++
Now celebrating over 1000 visitors! Steve's walking distance hotel guide:
http://members.aol.com/wdhotels/

addCode: AP5 aR1L1 EI D350 FY9 nLA K0 W1 M2 (I think)
Friends don't let friends buy Acers.

rya...@cwnet.com

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98
Why do I forsee a replay of America Sings? Let's review, shall we?
1. America Sings closes before they're ready to rehab it.
2. Rehab gets delayed and show building sits there empty.
3. Lots of groovy artwork and ideas tossed around for new attraction.
4. Replacement decided (Plectu) and development begins.
5. Budget cut out from under WDI.
6. Carousel Theater reopens a day late and a dollar short as half-@$$sed trade
show.
In this case, we're skipping over Step 3, but I have a sinkin' fillin' this is
where we're headed.
The Great Karnak sees coin-op boats painted to look like vessels from
"Atlantis" film and a few paper mache towers standing in for the Lost City. to
which DL replies: "It's themed. What more do you want?"

Masselin
once again hoping to be wrong

Ross Plesset

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

Yesterday I noticed new decorations in the queue, another indication
that the subs are staying. The shape of the new structure resembles one
of the one of the enhancements in the "Montana Future" painting.

When I went on the ride there were literally half a dozen kids saying:
"Why is there gum down here" (refering to that brown-orange gooey stuff
in and around the docking area's barnacles and star fish). One mother
said "That's not gum, it's stuff."

Prevent the destruction of Cascade Peak! Go to:
http://come.to/preserve.disneyland

SAVE HORIZONS!!! Go to:
http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/lot/1983/horizons.html COMING SOON:
VIDEO CLIPS OF THE RIDE

gjw

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

rya...@cwnet.com wrote:

> The Great Karnak sees coin-op boats painted to look like vessels from
> "Atlantis" film and a few paper mache towers standing in for the Lost City. to
> which DL replies: "It's themed. What more do you want?"

I would say that's crazy, but I haven't been able to completely trust
the judgement of DL management ever since they put up those cheap-o
plywood cutouts in the motorboats ride a few years back...

Jack Danger

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

Anonymous-
Where would you when I was having this argument several months ago?

>On 17 May 1998 00:27:07 +0200, nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) wrote:

>----
>
>They don't need to meet new ADA laws. They are what's known as
>"grandfathered". That is, they were at code when they were built and can
>remain as long as they don't change the ride (read that as the sub
>design) significantly. And even if they did change the subs, there's
>some clause or other that states that ADA requirements can be exempted
>if it significantly detracts from the intent or made it impossible to
>create the show. If they tried to make Disneyland put elevators and wide
>aisles in the subs, it would be totally impossible to do and still
>maintain the illusion of a submarine.
>
>CS

Al Lutz

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

rya...@cwnet.com wrote:
> The Great Karnak sees coin-op boats painted to
> look like vessels from "Atlantis" film and a few
> paper mache towers standing in for the Lost City.
> to which DL replies: "It's themed. What more do you want?"

gjw responded:

> I would say that's crazy, but I haven't been able to
> completely trust the judgement of DL management
> ever since they put up those cheap-o plywood cutouts
> in the motorboats ride a few years back...

I still wouldn't trust them.

A few hours after that sign went up - it was taken down. Buzz has it that
Pressler himself ordered it off.

My educated guess on all this is that the battle continues. I'd watch for
future updates on this.

Al
--
Al Lutz -- alweho...@aol.com -- FDC & TDC Buzz Lightyear
Author of D-I-G (Disneyland Info. Guide) http://members.aol.com/alweho/

Charles P. Hobbs

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

BKittyhawk wrote:

> It's likely that once the subs stop running and the maintance on the subs stops
> as well, that they will never run again. They need constant care or they will
> freeze up, and they do not meet current ADA laws.

Do ADA laws apply to amusement park rides?

I know a lot of the rides, etc. cannot accomodate wheelchairs directly,
but will allow handicapped people to ride, if they can transfer out
of their chair. . .

Anonymous

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

BKittyhawk wrote:

> It's likely that once the subs stop running and the maintance on the subs stops
> as well, that they will never run again. They need constant care or they will
> freeze up, and they do not meet current ADA laws.

----

ENTROPYM

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

>When I went on the ride there were literally half a dozen kids saying:<BR>
>"Why is there gum down here" (refering to that brown-orange gooey stuff<BR>
>in and around the docking area's barnacles and star fish). One mother<BR>

>said "That's not gum, it's stuff."

It's supposed to be "colonial osidian" a marine organism that's common along
the California cast.

Mickey M.
Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy

BKittyhawk

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

ADA would apply to the subs if there is a major change to the vechicles.
Currently, there is no way to get a wheel chair guest into or out of the subs
(BTW: if any wheel chair guest has gone aboard the subs, I would like to read
about it here). Any big change to the subs would force a re-design of the
vehicles so all guests could enjoy the attraction. It's one reason that the
subs days are numbered.
Park Hopper. :>)

CROOOOW

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

DLoriso wrote:

> I cornered an Imaginerr earlier today at the park....he said that the Atlantis
> attraction will most likely not open until 2002...however, it looks like subs
> will take its final bow Labor day weekend 1998...it just makes me wonder, since
> Atlantis will open after California adventure, just what will the park get over
> the next four years....seems to me that a 4 year drought period of no new rides
> at Disneyland will be suicide move in the current cut throat southern
> california theme park market.

Lets see...well the ride wont close until towards the end of 1998...
and it was rumored to possibly open as early as late 2001...
which is only 3 years.

This will be a major attraction, to be sure, to that's proably 2 years of
construction time alone required...let alone time to remove any of the
old Sub stuff that has to be done, and any side effects it will cause to
the Autopia, since it sits over the sub caves. Then of course there
is ride testing...if the technology is based on TEST TRACK for
example, then who knows when it could open.

If I remember...construction began on Test Track in early 1995, and
was to open May 13th 1997...two year or more later...well it's now
May 17th 1998...over 3 years later and it still isn't open...and wont
open until Fall 1998 at the earliest it seems...so we're talking almost
4 years to get a ride open...and thats with the cost control of re-using
an existing building.

--
THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THEME PARKS
- New Attractions & Rumors Page -

Ross Plesset

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

I've heard talk that Fantasia Gardens will be replaced by a
Fantasia-themed hedge maze. This information comes from a park employee,
so I'm somewhat skeptical. I like Fantasia Gardens but a hedge maze
would be neat too.

Mike D.

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

Ross Plesset wrote:

> I've heard talk that Fantasia Gardens will be replaced by a
> Fantasia-themed hedge maze.

Where is Fantasia Gardens?

-Mike D.

AD1 aRN1 D10 FM3 nI W2 M1

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/MikeSite/dland.html <---Disneyland
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/MikeSite/ca.html <--- Disney's CA Adventure

Bryan Barrow

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

For those of us who missed it- What did the sign say?

In article <6jli39$e...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>, "Al Lutz"
<alweho...@aol.com> wrote:

--
Check out my website at http://www2.cruzio.com/~bbarrow
Info on the Beatles, Beatles stuff and 50's-80's toys for sale and more! No cookies, no frames, no ads, just my stuff!

TP2...@webtv.net

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

As of Sunday late afternoon, there were no signs that said anything
about Atlantis near the new Sub Dome over the dock. However, there was a
new flag with an interesting logo flapping in the breeze above the
parked Subs. The flag is blue with a large red "A" in the middle with
some wavy seaweed around it. The crossbar in the letter A however, was
actually a pitchfork that looks exactly like the one King Triton
carries. And what could an aquatic themed "A" stand for? Hmm....might it
be "Atlantis"!?! Perhaps the Imagineers got in trouble for putting up
such a blatant "New Attraction" sign the other day, but they wanted to
give a signal to at least the Disneyland fans "in the know" that
something new is in the works for the Submarine Voyage, the lagoon and
it's show building. The flag is right out in the open, and was easy to
see from the exits. I wasn't even on the dock, where it would be even
more obvious. I wonder whats up?

shaclark

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

Fantasia Gardens is the concrete platform where you can sit and eat
some of those handily-available Disney snacks and think about the
Motor Boat Cruise... directly across from the greeter position at
Matterhorn.

As for the Fantasia Gardens concept, it was "on the drawing boards" 9
years ago when I worked for the park, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Also, based on the alleged "custodial nightmare" that Alice's
Labyrinth is at Disneyland Paris, I would guess that a second hedge
maze is about as likely as Innoventions at Disneyland being any better
than Innoventions at EPCOT. <G>

On Sun, 17 May 1998 13:25:07 -0700, "Mike D." <fd...@ix.netcom.com>

DscveryBay

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

I think I know what my new tattoo's gonna look like!

I knew that when Tomorrowland 98 debuted, there would be, quote: "WAR".
I, however, underestimated both the timing and the strength of the opening
salvo.
You GO, WDI!!!

Fab

The Fabulous Disney Bay...er, Babe-

"Care for a mint on your pavement, Mr. Sklar?"~Paul Pressler

Thampie

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

I, for one, am very excited about the possiblilty of a new attraction in the
sub area. The subs has one of the most extensive show areas, but is one of the
most outdated attractions, IMHO. Whenever I ride the subs, I'm always
frustrated at how many possibilities there are for this classic attraction, or
how much potential there is for a completely new ride. Don't get me wrong, I
do like the Submarine Voyage, but sadly the show isn't up to standards.
Clearly there is no shortage of imagination at WDI, and I'm looking forward to
what can be done.

Let's hope this "war" doesn't escalate into something that would kill a new
attraction, *and* the current ride, but is the start of something wonderful for
this much neglected area of the park.

Go WDI.

Tom

In article <6jo8ma$qb9$1...@newsd-104.iap.bryant.webtv.net>, TP2...@webtv.net

Toddster42

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

What are the chances of my getting to ride the subs when I go to DL first week
of August? Will they still be around, I hope?

Toddster

Visit The NieBuck Home Page @
http://home.earthlink.net/~akocindy
Free Comedy Audio Tapes Available!
"NieBuck? That's what my shoes are made of." - Mike Nelson, interviewed at the
MST3K ConventioCon II

Al Lutz

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

Toddster42 wrote:
> What are the chances of my getting to ride
> the subs when I go to DL first week of August?
> Will they still be around, I hope?

The word was that they wanted to use the CM scheduling budget from the Subs
for Innoventions instead - in the same way they closed the Motor Boat ride
to use the staff in ToonTown when it opened.

With Innoventions now appearing to be opening either July 4th or Labor Day
weekend[depending on who you talk to] for now it appears that the subs will
probably at least remain open until Labor Day weekend at this point.
[Likewise with the Tiki Room.]

Pressler cannot wait to shut the subs down - it has been the number one
thing on his list since before he came to the park [they even made fun of
this in his going away video from the Disney Stores].

I would hope he stays true to his comments previously made in the O.C.
Register about keeping them open until a new attraction is ready to replace
them. If they close now before anything is set - we could have happen here
what happened in WDW's MK - TL would host an empty lagoon that would stay
that way for decades.

That's one of the main reasons why the push was made last Friday. Many
people feel that Pressler sees nothing wrong with just closing this ride
down and never putting in a replacement. He's also too distracted with DCA
and its problems to focus on something like this.

Jack Danger

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

AL-

Closing attractions when new attractions open is a Judson Green idea
-- he has stated publicly that Disneyland can not open new rides
without closing older attractions, because the cost of operating the
park would be to high and no one would be able to afford the admission
price.

On Mon, 18 May 1998 12:28:41 -0700, "Al Lutz" <alweho...@aol.com>

rya...@cwnet.com

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

Is the flag still up? Or has the dissent been silenced?

Masselin

Al Lutz

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

rya...@cwnet.com wrote:
> Is the flag still up? Or has the dissent been silenced?

From what I understand, this is only the beginning. Although I wouldn't
expect much to happen right now - until at least after the official TL
opening everyone is working so hard on.

But afterwards - well, let's just say the "Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks" may
be dim compared to what may end up coming down the pike here. ;)

Gwen Smith

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

Al Lutz <alweho...@aol.com> said...

> From what I understand, this is only the beginning. Although I wouldn't
> expect much to happen right now - until at least after the official TL
> opening everyone is working so hard on.
>
> But afterwards - well, let's just say the "Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks" may
> be dim compared to what may end up coming down the pike here. ;)

Gee - even I kinda thought something was brewing (see my post not too long back
called something like "Random Disneyland Ramblings"), but I never suspected
something like this!

A query to those in the know: how much "pull" does WDI have within the
company? More than Pressler? It has to be quite a risk moving something like
this into open warfare, and I'd think it foolish if they would be on the short
end of the stick.

Personally, though, I'm glad that someone has finally taken dramatic action
like this. I'm not sure of anything will come of it, but I can't help but hope
for something good!

Cheers,
Gwen Smith
http://members.aol.com/gwensmith

C.D.HAMSHER

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

What's going on? For the love of God, would someone please tell me
what's going on!

DscveryBay

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

>> Is the flag still up? Or has the dissent been silenced?<BR>
><BR>
>From what I understand, this is only the beginning. Although I wouldn't<BR>
>expect much to happen right now - until at least after the official TL<BR>

>opening everyone is working so hard on.

The flag/banner thing was just the opening salvo. Be prepared for the Sub War
to really begin after the opening Friday. I'll keep my eyes peeled at the
press event for any signs....literal or not... of dissent.

Vive le revolution d'Imagineering!

DscveryBay

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

A sign appeared above the Subs last Friday:
Atlantis Expedition
Imagineering Preparation Base

And Pressler had his winged monkeys remove it posthaste.
They also have an Atlantis flag flying overhead. Hope it stays.
Tony Baxter, in a lecture given at CSULB, mentioned an Atlantis attraction.
Pressler and his bean-counters, however, have been heard to say that they want
to just shut down the Subs like Judson Green did at WDW, quietly, with no fuss
and no replacement.
WDI, and a.d.d., won't let that happen. There is a line that keeps gettig
redrawn at Disneyland quality-wise, and this is where I choose my battle.
Scoot over, Marty. You're getting your strangest bedfellow yet out there on
Harbor Blvd.

blusilva

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

DscveryBay wrote:

> A sign appeared above the Subs last Friday:
> Atlantis Expedition
> Imagineering Preparation Base
>
> And Pressler had his winged monkeys remove it posthaste.
> They also have an Atlantis flag flying overhead. Hope it stays.
> Tony Baxter, in a lecture given at CSULB, mentioned an Atlantis attraction.
> Pressler and his bean-counters, however, have been heard to say that they want
> to just shut down the Subs like Judson Green did at WDW, quietly, with no fuss
> and no replacement.
> WDI, and a.d.d., won't let that happen. There is a line that keeps gettig
> redrawn at Disneyland quality-wise, and this is where I choose my battle.
> Scoot over, Marty. You're getting your strangest bedfellow yet out there on
> Harbor Blvd.
>
> Vive le revolution d'Imagineering!

Hey, Fab, care to make it a threesome?

blusilva (wondering if I can bring my Sobakowa pillow)

Sharyn Bruno

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

Jon Nadelberg wrote:

> In article <199805200503...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
> Skyppy <sky...@aol.com> wrote:
> >In article <199805200126...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, dlo...@aol.com
> >(DLoriso) writes:
> >
> >>ON WITH THE REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >>Everyone sing:
> >
> ><snip of new and entirely appropriate Les Miz lyrics>
> >
> >This confirms my suspicion that ADDers are a remarkably creative bunch!
> >

> >(Not to make too fine a point of it, but didn't the students who rebelled in
> >Les Miz end up beaten into submission--and early graves--by the French
> >government? just asking...)
> >

> They ended up abandoned by the people of Paris, and all but one, Marius,
> died in the fighting. Marius was wounded but was saved when Jean Valjean
> dragged his body threw the sewers to safety.
This is the first time I have posted to add. I also hope I am doing
this the right way. I have been an AP for 7 years and have been going
to DL since it opened. I have also been "lurking" and reading the posts
for awhile. I just had to reply to the "Les Miz" I think they're
great.

DscveryBay

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

>DscveryBay wrote:<BR>
>> <BR>
>> A sign appeared above the Subs last Friday:<BR>
>> Atlantis Expedition<BR>
>> Imagineering Preparation Base<BR>
>> <BR>
>> And Pressler had his winged monkeys remove it posthaste.<BR>
>> They also have an Atlantis flag flying overhead. Hope it stays.<BR>

>> Tony Baxter, in a lecture given at CSULB, mentioned an Atlantis
>attraction.<BR>

>> Pressler and his bean-counters, however, have been heard to say that they
>want<BR>

>> to just shut down the Subs like Judson Green did at WDW, quietly, with no
>fuss<BR>
>> and no replacement.<BR>

>> WDI, and a.d.d., won't let that happen. There is a line that keeps
>gettig<BR>

>> redrawn at Disneyland quality-wise, and this is where I choose my
>battle.<BR>

>> Scoot over, Marty. You're getting your strangest bedfellow yet out there
>on<BR>
>> Harbor Blvd.<BR>
>> <BR>
>> Vive le revolution d'Imagineering!<BR>
>> <BR>
>Hey, Fab, care to make it a threesome? <BR>
><BR>

>blusilva (wondering if I can bring my Sobakowa pillow)

You betcha.
A good cause is worth fighting for. So is a kickass attraction.
Atlantis Expedition: Coming Soon to a Disneyland near you!

DLoriso

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

>Vive le revolution d'Imagineering!

ON WITH THE REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone sing:
DO YOU HEAR THE PEOPLE SING
SINGING THE SONGS OF ANGRY MEN
IT IS THE MUSIC OF A PEOPLE
WHO WILL NOT BE SLAVES AGAIN
WHEN THE BEATING OF YOUR HEARTS
ECHO THE BEATING OF THE DRUMS
THERE IS A LIFE ABOUT TO START
WHEN TOMORROW(land) COMES!!!!!!!!

WILL YOU JOIN IN OUR CRUSADE
WELL THEN BE STRONG AND STAND WITH ME
SOMEWHERE BEYOND THE BARRICADE
IS THERE A WORLD YOU LONG TO SEE
DO YOU HEAR THE PEOPLE SING
YES DO YOU HEAR THE DISTANT DRUMS
IT IS THE FUTURE THAT WE BRING
WHEN TOMORROW(land)COMES!!!!!!!!!

My brothers and sisters, Paul Pressler has fired the first shot. Imagineering
and all that support Walt's vision of Disneyland must band together and answer
each volley of theirs with thunder from us......THIS IS THE FUTURE THAT WE
BRING
WHEN TOMORROW(land) COMES!!!!!!!!!!

JClary1250

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

> A sign appeared above the Subs last Friday:
>
>>> Atlantis Expedition
>
>>> Imagineering Preparation Base

I'm sorry, but I find it very unprofessional for anyone to try to publicly
embarrass their employer. Although I don't agree with the direction that the
current management is headed, it is wrong to handle the situation in this
manner. It's bad enough that OC Register published an article over office
politics surrounding the subs. All this does is put management on the
defensive. This does not solve the problem. I just think that things like
this should be handled outside of public view, and if certain peoples
differences cannot be resolved, then they should go find an employer that makes
them happier. In other words, if you don't like your job situation, then
leave...Now I hope whatever differences there are between Imagineering and
Disney management do get resolved. But there is know guarantee....and all this
little stunt did was cause bad feelings between both parties I'm sure. I'd be
pissed off too, if a back-office disagreement became public. It's none of our
business what goes on backstage in this situation. Just my $.02...Nothing
more......If you agree...great...if not.....oh well....it's just another
opinion on the newsgroup.

Bobby Barber

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

In article <199805191920...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
gwen...@aol.com (Gwen Smith) wrote:

> Gee - even I kinda thought something was brewing (see my post not too
long back
> called something like "Random Disneyland Ramblings"), but I never suspected
> something like this!
>
> A query to those in the know: how much "pull" does WDI have within the
> company? More than Pressler?

Gwen,

WDI seems to not have hardly any pull, or at least appreciation right
now from Disneyland. For example, many of the key Imagineers on the
Tomorrowland project haven't been invited to the opening dedications due to
"lack of vewing space." Can you belive that?

Bobby

The Knott's Berry Farm Information Center - Now With "Ghost Rider" and
"Supreme Scream" Construction Pictures!

http://users.deltanet.com/~bobbytpa

Skyppy

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

>ON WITH THE REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>Everyone sing:

<snip of new and entirely appropriate Les Miz lyrics>

This confirms my suspicion that ADDers are a remarkably creative bunch!

(Not to make too fine a point of it, but didn't the students who rebelled in
Les Miz end up beaten into submission--and early graves--by the French
government? just asking...)

Skyppy
Life is uncertain--eat dessert first
(Courtesy of Just Desserts in SF)

Jon Nadelberg

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98
>In article <199805200126...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, dlo...@aol.com
>(DLoriso) writes:
>
>>ON WITH THE REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>Everyone sing:
>
><snip of new and entirely appropriate Les Miz lyrics>
>
>This confirms my suspicion that ADDers are a remarkably creative bunch!
>

>(Not to make too fine a point of it, but didn't the students who rebelled in
>Les Miz end up beaten into submission--and early graves--by the French
>government? just asking...)

They ended up abandoned by the people of Paris, and all but one, Marius,

BenzoJo

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

>(Not to make too fine a point of it, but didn't the students who rebelled
>in<BR>
>Les Miz end up beaten into submission--and early graves--by the French<BR>
>government? just asking...)<BR>

yeah... but one of them got to make out with Claire Danes.. Hubba!!!

"we're the clean-up crews for parties we were too young to attend"

Visit my web site and help me win Tupperware!!!

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Bungalow/2157

Ben...@aol.com

BenzoJo

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

Fight the powers that be!!!-Chuck D

Don't believe the Hype!!!-Chuck D

Atlantis Expedition-w D i

The D's are always right

rya...@cwnet.com

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

ADM...@erols.com wrote:

> What's going on? For the love of God, would someone please tell me
> what's going on!

Like the header says, Imagineering has basically declared war on the bean
counters. You know that backstage sub rehab facility? Since you can see it
from the Monorail, it's themed w/ a sign saying "DL Oceanographic Research
Facility." Last week, Imagineering quietly replaced it w/ a sign saying
"Imagineering Atlantis Expedition Home Base." When the managers emerged from
their little burrows in the Hot Dog Building, they hit the roof and ordered
the sign taken down.
On Sunday, by a bit of Disney magic, an Atlantean flag appeared *onstage*, in
full view of all Sub guests. Corporate is not taking this rebellion lightly,
and, as Al says, this is only the beginning...

Masselin
who didn't have the heart to post "Oh, the war trick." ;)

Mrliver1

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

jclar...@aol.com (JClary1250) writes:

> I'm sorry, but I find it very unprofessional for anyone to try to
>publicly embarrass their employer.

You do have a point. And it takes alot of effort and courage to bite the hand
that feeds you.

>Although I don't agree with the direction that the current management is
headed,
>it is wrong to handle the situation in this manner. It's bad enough that OC
>published an article over office politics surrounding the subs. All this does
is put
>management on the defensive. This does not solve the problem.

It may not solve the problem. But for many they know the problems exist.
Knowing there is a problem is the first step in solving it though. Once the
general public knows what's going on, it will become increasingly difficult for
TDA to hude whats going on.

>I just think that things like this should be handled outside of public view,
and if
>certain peoples differences cannot be resolved, then they should go find an
>employer that makes them happier. In other words, if you don't like your job
>situation, then leave...

The difference here is that WDI doesn't exactly have that option. Oh sure most
of the Imagineers were jumping ship and finding work elsewhere, but WDI as a
whole can't just tell Disney to find someone else. Like children in a
sweatshop, finding a different job can be difficult. SO basically when it
comes down to it, if WDI were to continue to exist at all, moves like these are
needed. And since in the end they represent the best for the guest it's not
hard to see why many will sympathize with them.

>Now I hope whatever differences there are between Imagineering and
>Disney management do get resolved. But there is know guarantee....and all
>this little stunt did was cause bad feelings between both parties I'm sure.
I'd
>be pissed off too, if a back-office disagreement became public. It's none of
>our business what goes on backstage in this situation.

In a small way it is our business, since we are the one's who invest lots of
money into Disneyland every year. But rest assured that the bad feelings
between the two have existed for quite awhile now, and known to most on this
group. What did come as a shock was not that Imagineering would take such a
drastic step, but that it was actually picked up by the media. Imagineering
deserves a lot more credit than they recieve, but now that might change.

>Just my $.02...Nothing more......If you agree...great...if not.....oh
well....it's just
>another opinion on the newsgroup.

They're always welcome you know.

-Mr. Liver
This post now features multiple multitudes of mispellings!
--The long awaited ADD FAQ - For You're reading pleasure
http://members.aol.com/mrliver1/addfaq/
-The Music of Main Street
http://www.cybertime.net/~cprophet/mainstreet/

CaptDisney

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

In article <6jskmb$7...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>, "Al Lutz"
<alweho...@aol.com> writes:

>But afterwards - well, let's just say the "Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks" may
>be dim compared to what may end up coming down the pike here. ;)

Ohh I'd better find a popcorn cart and finda a chunk of curb to sit on while I
wait for the show.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, In just five minutes the daytime
spectacular of Submarinetasmic! will begin! For your saftey and the saftey of
those around you, we ask that you remain seated until after all Imagineers have
been cleaned off of Harbor Boulevard.

Steve!

======Note the new address (Captdisney at aol dot com)================

Go Go, WDI, Go!

++NEW ADDRESS! NEW LOOK! Be sure to update your bookmarks and links++
Now celebrating over 1000 visitors! Steve's walking distance hotel guide:
http://members.aol.com/wdhotels/

addCode: AP5 aR1L1 EI D350 FY9 nLA K0 W1 M2 (I think)
Friends don't let friends buy Acers.

M. Scott Garner

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

In article <199805201106...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,

captd...@aol.com (CaptDisney) wrote:

> In article <6jskmb$7...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>, "Al Lutz"
> <alweho...@aol.com> writes:
>

> >But afterwards - well, let's just say the "Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks"
may
> >be dim compared to what may end up coming down the pike here. ;)
> >

> Ohh I'd better find a popcorn cart and finda a chunk of curb to sit on while
> wait for the show.
>
> Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, In just five minutes the daytime
> spectacular of Submarinetasmic! will begin! For your saftey and the saftey
of
> those around you, we ask that you remain seated until after all Imagineers
have
> been cleaned off of Harbor Boulevard.

Confetti cannons...where the heck are my confetti cannons?! It's showtime!

Let Paul Pressler and his mindless mba minions in management understand:
WDI does not stand alone on this one.

scott

M. Scott Garner
"The Home Version"
sga...@4dcomm.com

Enjoy Disneyland's Storybook Land Canal Boats on the web
Visit Paul Pressler's Little Shop of Horrors
Drink from the Fountains of Youth

http://www2.4dcomm.com/sgarner/disney

"Events have a way of following in the footsteps of faith."
- Graham MacIntosh

Skyppy

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

In article <jonnEt8...@netcom.com>, jo...@netcom.com (Jon Nadelberg) writes:

>>(Not to make too fine a point of it, but didn't the students who rebelled in

>>Les Miz end up beaten into submission--and early graves--by the French

>>government? just asking...)
>>

>They ended up abandoned by the people of Paris, and all but one, Marius,
>died in the fighting. Marius was wounded but was saved when Jean Valjean
>dragged his body threw the sewers to safety.

Somewhere, someone in TDA is smiling as he/she fantasizes of ADDers being
either abandoned by the public at large, or (perhaps even better), being
dragged unceremoniously into the sewers!

Karen O'

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

Ahhh, a touch of bittersweet. There is no safety in passion.

Karen

DscveryBay

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

I was like, "No way!" and jclar...@aol.com (JClary1250) was like:
><BR>
><BR>
>> I'm sorry, but I find it very unprofessional for anyone to try to<BR>
>>publicly embarrass their employer.

It was a last-resort thing, jc. For three-plus years they have been shuffled
and kicked and abused. If you beat a dog one of two things will happen. It
will cower, or it will snap at it's abuser.

WDI has my support all the way!

Will someone please post a picture of the flag to a.b.m.d?
Thanks

Sni...@earthlink.net

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

In article <
199805192241...@ladder03.ne
ws.aol.com>,

dscve...@aol.com (DscveryBay) wrote:

> A sign appeared above the Subs last Friday:
> Atlantis Expedition
> Imagineering Preparation Base
>
> And Pressler had his winged monkeys remove it posthaste.

(snip)

Fab, love The Wizard of Oz reference. :-)

Snicky
AP3 aON1 E1mM2 D25 FY ncd

Tod Hunter

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98
to Al Lutz

> Al Lutz"
> <alweho...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > A few hours after that sign went up - it was taken down. Buzz has it that
> > Pressler himself ordered it off.

Pressler was in the park? No sh*t?

--Tod
surprised

Tripp1901

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

I have enrolled in the draft. So if need be, do not hesitate to recruit me for
this cause.

Note the addition to my sig....

"How can you read this? There's no pictures!" - Gaston

Trip...@aol.com

++Vive le revolution d'Imagineering!++

Spread the word about Keep Disney McFree!!!
http://come.to/mcdisney

*These oppinions are mine...not Disney's*

Bruce Bergman

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

On Wed, 20 May 1998 16:39:58 GMT, M. Scott Garner <sga...@4dcomm.com>
wrote:

>In article <199805201106...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
> captd...@aol.com (CaptDisney) wrote:
>>
>> In article <6jskmb$7...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>, "Al Lutz"
>> <alweho...@aol.com> writes:
>>

>> >But afterwards - well, let's just say the "Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks"
>may
>> >be dim compared to what may end up coming down the pike here. ;)
>> >

>> Ohh I'd better find a popcorn cart and finda a chunk of curb to sit on while
>> wait for the show.
>>
>> Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, In just five minutes the daytime
>> spectacular of Submarinetasmic! will begin! For your saftey and the saftey
>of
>> those around you, we ask that you remain seated until after all Imagineers
>have
>> been cleaned off of Harbor Boulevard.
>
>Confetti cannons...where the heck are my confetti cannons?! It's showtime!
>
>Let Paul Pressler and his mindless mba minions in management understand:
>WDI does not stand alone on this one.
>
>scott

Ich Bin Ein Imagineer!!!

(with apologies to President Kennedy, like they're necessary)

If Imagineering is willing to go the full 15 Rounds with the
Accountaneers from the Hotdog Building, there will be more than just a few
people with 'em on Harbor Blvd. Including me. And the people doing the
removing better pack a lunch.

And the Banner Photo is now my Win95 Wallpaper.

Do or Do Not. There is no try. (Yoda)

--<< Bruce >>--
--
* Altered return E-Mail Address to reduce Spam - Remove the numbers *
Bruce Bergman, P. O. Box 394, Woodland Hills CA. 91365-0394 (USA)

a.d.d.: A(Rp1)P1 aR3 EC(Organizer)VKIL(F!) D55 FM2-4 nIc k0 W1(gamma) M1
http://www.wgn.net/~bbergman (Yeah, it's lame. But it's up.)

WARNING: No Unsolicited Commercial E-Mail. Send it and your account is toast.

Karl Buiter

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

On Tue, 19 May 1998 17:38:40 GMT, rya...@cwnet.com wrote:

>Is the flag still up? Or has the dissent been silenced?

The Flag is Still Up.. In fact, the UPN crew was filming nearby right
after they completed the Cosmic Waves deal.. Its possible you may see
it just off the edge of the circular-shaped tent in the background.

I think I may salute it everytime I go there. Its a neat rallying
symbol.

-- Karl

Karl Buiter

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

On Thu, 21 May 1998 05:17:50 GMT, bber...@127-0-0-1.westworld.com
("Bruce Bergman") wrote:

> And the Banner Photo is now my Win95 Wallpaper.

I was thinking of doing a color dump of that image and taking it to a
T-shirt shop. With permission from the photographer of course.
Hmmm,, I am still on the fence about that. If anybody has a shot of
the flag, may make a nice montage for a shirt.

-- Karl

The Doctor

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

Tod Hunter <t...@avn.com> wrote:

More likely, one of his flunkies called him up and told him about it
and Pressler ordered him to have it removed.

The Doctor

"But now it's written in stone, the king has been overthrown by
jesterly fools."
"His tears are frozen stiff. Icicles drip from his eyes.
Welcome to the Tragic Kingdom"

-- No Doubt

Judi Lane

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98
to DscveryBay

DscveryBay wrote:

> Will someone please post a picture of the flag to a.b.m.d?
> Thanks
>
> Fab
>
> The Fabulous Disney Bay...er, Babe-
> "Care for a mint on your pavement, Mr. Sklar?"~Paul Pressler
> addCode: AP2 aR D50 FM nA

Your "photographer" has a couple of flag pictures on the floppy I gave him. Ask
him to post them.

--

Judi
"My Imagineer can beat up your Accountaneer."

Jeff Carey

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

WDI isn't employed by Disneyland, though. They both work for The Walt Disney
Company. And I think DL has done more to publically embarass TWDC than anything
WDI could do...

JClary1250 wrote:

> > A sign appeared above the Subs last Friday:

> I'm sorry, but I find it very unprofessional for anyone to try to publicly
> embarrass their employer. Although I don't agree with the direction that the

> current management is headed, it is wrong to handle the situation in this
> manner. It's bad enough that OC Register published an article over office
> politics surrounding the subs. All this does is put management on the

> defensive. This does not solve the problem. I just think that things like

> this should be handled outside of public view, and if certain peoples
> differences cannot be resolved, then they should go find an employer that makes
> them happier. In other words, if you don't like your job situation, then

> leave...Now I hope whatever differences there are between Imagineering and

> Disney management do get resolved. But there is know guarantee....and all this
> little stunt did was cause bad feelings between both parties I'm sure. I'd be
> pissed off too, if a back-office disagreement became public. It's none of our

> business what goes on backstage in this situation. Just my $.02...Nothing

Jeff Carey

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98
to bber...@westworld.com

Who has the banner photo? Is it web posted? Can someone e-mail it to me?

Bruce Bergman wrote:

> And the Banner Photo is now my Win95 Wallpaper.

Jeremy Riney

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98
to MrsChemDoc

MrsChemDoc wrote:

> Buttons-- we need buttons.
>
> I want a button with the WDI Flag on it. That would be cool.
>
> I'll be the idea-woman. Anyone able to do this?

Under the WDI flag, it could read:

"Vive le revolution d'Imagineering!"

Hey, I would love to have one!

BTW, who first started that quote?

--
Jeremy Riney - <sri...@ibm.net> - Imagineering: Kick Butt!
---

Vive le revolution d'Imagineering!

MrsChemDoc

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Buttons-- we need buttons.

I want a button with the WDI Flag on it. That would be cool.

I'll be the idea-woman. Anyone able to do this?

Adrienne
AP3 aR1 ElV2F D35 FM3 nA W1 M2
Visit The Happiest Potties on Earth: http://members.aol.com/DLPotties

Those who can, Do. Those who can do More, Teach.

Mrliver1

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

mrsch...@aol.com (MrsChemDoc) writes:

>I'll be the idea-woman. Anyone able to do this?

Where is our mistress of buttons from Hawaii when we need her?

-Mr. Liver

This post now features multiple multitudes of mispellings!

The ADD FAQ and the Music of Main Street - http://members.aol.com/mrliver1

~~~ Viva le revolution d'Imagineering! ~~~

Tripp1901

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

>>Who has the banner photo? Is it web posted? Can someone e-mail it to me?<<

I'd like it too, if anyone can email it to me, that would be great.

Tripp1901

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

If any buttons are made, I'd love to wear one on my trip this June!!!!

tIg...@my-dejanews.com

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

In article <199805220402...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,

I'll offer you my humble (but more importantly FREE) services and design the
button if someone can email me a photo or draw a rough picture of the flag.
Then I will send my artwork to someone with a color printer and button maker.
I would do it but I just don't have a button maker. If you have a photo or saw
the flag and can explain it to me please email me at the following address:
mark (at) pollstar (dot) com.

Mark

MrsChemDoc

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Jeremy wrote:

<<"Vive le revolution d'Imagineering!">>

<<BTW, who first started that quote?>>

Only a FABULOUS person could come up with a FABULOUS quote!

I believe it's her photographer who has the banner photo.

DscveryBay

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

><BR>
>BTW, who first started that quote?<BR>
><BR>
>-- <BR>
>Jeremy Riney

I did!

Fab

The Fabulous Disney Bay...er, Babe-

I'll post a new sig after I find out what's REALLY happening with the subs.