Need a new printer - suggestions?

Connie Pierce

Feb 6, 2006, 12:37:54 AM2/6/06
My Lexmark just died (yeah - I know - stupid me for being brand
loyal!!) and I desperately need a new, decent printer. Any suggestions?

The features I'm most interested in is awesome prints, large format
(11-13 inches wide) if possible, and Mac OS 10.4 compatibility.

I'm currently eyeballing the Epson RX700, R2400, and the Canon i9900
(notice that Lexy isn't on the list - I HATE the damn things now) . . .
I'm hoping to spend no more than $400 . . .

Any words of wisdom? I'd love to hear your faves, craves and hates!
Much appreciation in advance!

Connie

--
C Pierce
Creative Veritas

NotMe

Feb 6, 2006, 12:49:58 PM2/6/06
"Connie Pierce" <

| My Lexmark just died (yeah - I know - stupid me for being brand
| loyal!!) and I desperately need a new, decent printer. Any suggestions?
|
| The features I'm most interested in is awesome prints, large format
| (11-13 inches wide) if possible, and Mac OS 10.4 compatibility.
|
| I'm currently eyeballing the Epson RX700, R2400, and the Canon i9900
| (notice that Lexy isn't on the list - I HATE the damn things now) . . .
| I'm hoping to spend no more than $400 . . .
|
| Any words of wisdom? I'd love to hear your faves, craves and hates!
| Much appreciation in advance!
|
| Connie

We use both Cannon and Epson. Epson has a very slightly better quality
print but uses copious amount of ink. Cannon OTOH is much more economical
in terms of ink consumption. For the most part we do only small runs
primarily for testing so we have two of each, one with OEM ink the other
with aftermarket ink.

Also we have a low end EPSON for labeling CDs sent to clients.

Regardless we don't use Lexius or Dell for the very reason that they are
very proprietary on the ink supply.

We are in the early market for a wide format printer to do posters and
banners but that's a blue sky project.

Connie Pierce

Feb 6, 2006, 1:49:39 PM2/6/06
In article <GcMFf.16$5k...@fe06.lga>, NotMe <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> We use both Cannon and Epson. Epson has a very slightly better quality
> print but uses copious amount of ink. Cannon OTOH is much more economical
> in terms of ink consumption. For the most part we do only small runs
> primarily for testing so we have two of each, one with OEM ink the other
> with aftermarket ink.
>
> Also we have a low end EPSON for labeling CDs sent to clients.
>
> Regardless we don't use Lexius or Dell for the very reason that they are
> very proprietary on the ink supply.
>
> We are in the early market for a wide format printer to do posters and
> banners but that's a blue sky project.

Can I ask which Epson and Canon models you have? I'm actually looking
at both, right now . . . I've heard that HP has gotten leagues better,
but Canon and Epson still lead the pack in terms of ratings (and,
apparently, quality, speed, etc).

I'm really drooling over the Canon i9900 . . . I'm really leaning
towards that one. But the R2400 is supposed to be amazing as well. So
hard to choose . . . just afraid that I'll choose poorly because I
need one ASAP. ( :

I'm only leaning t'wards a medium format because I'd like one one day
and it would only be an additional $200, as opposed to laying out
another $400 in a month or two. I figure kill two birds with one stone,
you know? Instead of paying $800 for two printers for two diff jobs,
pay $400 for one that does both.

Thank you, NotMe, for responding! As always, I love your posts!! ( :

Cheers!

NotMe

Feb 6, 2006, 5:24:32 PM2/6/06

"Connie Pierce" <in...@pierceillus.com> wrote in message

| In article <GcMFf.16$5k...@fe06.lga>, NotMe <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
|
| > We use both Cannon and Epson. Epson has a very slightly better quality
| > print but uses copious amount of ink. Cannon OTOH is much more
economical
| > in terms of ink consumption. For the most part we do only small runs
| > primarily for testing so we have two of each, one with OEM ink the other
| > with aftermarket ink.
| >
| > Also we have a low end EPSON for labeling CDs sent to clients.
| >
| > Regardless we don't use Lexius or Dell for the very reason that they are
| > very proprietary on the ink supply.
| >
| > We are in the early market for a wide format printer to do posters and
| > banners but that's a blue sky project.
|
| Can I ask which Epson and Canon models you have? I'm actually looking
| at both, right now . . . I've heard that HP has gotten leagues better,
| but Canon and Epson still lead the pack in terms of ratings (and,
| apparently, quality, speed, etc).

Epson R200 R220 Canon i4600(?) according to reports (I have no personal
knowledge) HP uses an Epson engine. We've found that the amout of work we
have that needs the higher end printers can be done for less by taking that
work to a specality shop. YMMV

| I'm really drooling over the Canon i9900 . . . I'm really leaning
| towards that one. But the R2400 is supposed to be amazing as well. So
| hard to choose . . . just afraid that I'll choose poorly because I
| need one ASAP. ( :
|
| I'm only leaning t'wards a medium format because I'd like one one day
| and it would only be an additional $200, as opposed to laying out
| another $400 in a month or two. I figure kill two birds with one stone,
| you know? Instead of paying $800 for two printers for two diff jobs,
| pay $400 for one that does both.
|
| Thank you, NotMe, for responding! As always, I love your posts!! ( :

Except when I wax political? ;<}

Connie Pierce

Feb 6, 2006, 10:28:36 PM2/6/06
In article <RbQFf.77$5k7...@fe06.lga>, NotMe <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Except when I wax political? ;<}

No, I love even your political posts (though I can barely understand
them - not political minded whatsoever). To be blunt, I get a little
intimidated . . . no offense meant!

I'd ask if you've lost any respect for me, but I think I'm afraid of
the answer . . .

NotMe

Feb 7, 2006, 7:36:04 AM2/7/06

"Connie Pierce"

| > Except when I wax political? ;<}
|
| No, I love even your political posts (though I can barely understand
| them - not political minded whatsoever). To be blunt, I get a little
| intimidated . . . no offense meant!
|
| I'd ask if you've lost any respect for me, but I think I'm afraid of
| the answer . . .

No loss of respect and I am very sorry to have intimidated you I seek only
lively discourse.

Saint Blurpaedius XXX

Feb 7, 2006, 7:46:35 AM2/7/06

> In article <RbQFf.77$5k7...@fe06.lga>, NotMe <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > Except when I wax political? ;<}
>
> No, I love even your political posts (though I can barely understand
> them - not political minded whatsoever). To be blunt, I get a little
> intimidated . . . no offense meant!
>
> I'd ask if you've lost any respect for me, but I think I'm afraid of
> the answer . . .

What cell phone company do you use?
I can investigate you to see if I respect you or not.

You can even gain cell records of US generals.

Police powers are wide.

Connie Pierce

Feb 7, 2006, 10:25:34 AM2/7/06
In article <FR0Gf.4$5a...@fe06.lga>, NotMe <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> No loss of respect and I am very sorry to have intimidated you I seek only
> lively discourse.

I never thought you intimidated me (or anyone else) on purpose! And you
should know better than I that you should never apologize for your
intelligence! ( : Even though I only partially understand them, I still
LOVE your posts! I actually learn more about the world around me
(without the newcaster chit-chat or idiocy) . . .

And lively discourse to you is brain-smarting to me! If you feel
generous, please feel free to send a few brain cells my way! ( :

And again, out of everyone here, you and Inez I respect the most!

Cheers 'n' regards!
Connie

Connie Pierce

Feb 7, 2006, 10:38:34 AM2/7/06
In article <dsa5a...@enews4.newsguy.com>, Saint Blurpaedius XXX
<exterminatethechris...@666.com> wrote:

> What cell phone company do you use?
> I can investigate you to see if I respect you or not.
>
> You can even gain cell records of US generals.
>
> Police powers are wide.

Um . . .

1) I wasn't talking to you (hence the word "respect" being mentioned in
the conversation).

And 2) Shouldn't you be reeling from Hatter's latest scathing post?
Answer his post to you -I can't wait to read HIS response! He's
foul-mouthed and oft-times cruel, but he's bloody brilliant and has a
rapier wit!

A word to the not-so-wise: Hatter will reduce you to a blubbering 2
year old, begging for a bullet to the brain to end your misery. No
joke. No kidding. You've been warned. Apologize to him now or suffer
the consequnces. He'll make the "chip implanted in your back" look like
elective surgery.

Saint Blurpaedius XXX

Feb 7, 2006, 11:02:10 AM2/7/06

> In article <dsa5a...@enews4.newsguy.com>, Saint Blurpaedius XXX
> <exterminatethechris...@666.com> wrote:
>
> > What cell phone company do you use?
> > I can investigate you to see if I respect you or not.
> >
> > You can even gain cell records of US generals.
> >
> > Police powers are wide.
>
> Um . . .
>
> 1) I wasn't talking to you (hence the word "respect" being mentioned
in
> the conversation).
>
> And 2) Shouldn't you be reeling from Hatter's latest scathing post?
> Answer his post to you -I can't wait to read HIS response! He's
> foul-mouthed and oft-times cruel, but he's bloody brilliant and has a
> rapier wit!
>
> A word to the not-so-wise: Hatter will reduce you to a blubbering 2

You do mean the Med Hitter?

He is a blubbering idiot.

> year old, begging for a bullet to the brain to end your misery. No
> joke. No kidding. You've been warned. Apologize to him now or suffer

Hey cunt! I can get your record zip. And that bullet will go up you
twat.

> the consequnces. He'll make the "chip implanted in your back" look
like
> elective surgery.

Bring it on bitch.

No joking no kidding.

Saint Blurpaedius XXX

Feb 7, 2006, 11:06:13 AM2/7/06
As a matter of fact I have never net copped anyone. However your post
should be netcopped and I should have your internet access privaledges
revoked.

Your are annoying and should not be allowed on this group.

Connie Pierce

Feb 7, 2006, 3:50:00 PM2/7/06
In article <dsagp...@enews4.newsguy.com>, Saint Blurpaedius XXX
<exterminatethechris...@666.com> wrote:

> Bring it on bitch.
>
> No joking no kidding.

Alright, Saint, you're done, cut off . . . no more drinkie-poos for
you.

You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.

Bet you hear that a lot, don't you?

BTW, I *was* trying to be nice in warning you, honey . . . Hatter has
indeed reduced many-a-troll to a blubbering mass. Wasn't calling you
out to a gunfight, wasn't baiting you, hon, just trying to stop the
bloodshed.

Connie Pierce

Feb 7, 2006, 3:52:52 PM2/7/06
In article <dsah1...@enews4.newsguy.com>, Saint Blurpaedius XXX
<exterminatethechris...@666.com> wrote:

> As a matter of fact I have never net copped anyone. However your post
> should be netcopped and I should have your internet access privaledges
> revoked.
>
> Your are annoying and should not be allowed on this group.

Um, who's netkopping? I'm not, hon. Are you? If you want to try to
netkop me, be my guest. Let's just say that I know people . . . so I'm
not worried. ( :

You are far more annoying - and the fact that you make me the least bit
annoying only makes you even more so. ( :

As to your pathetic insults, try tightening your foil hat a bit and see
if you can do better.

Fred Doyle

Feb 7, 2006, 6:48:10 PM2/7/06
"Connie Pierce" <in...@pierceillus.com> wrote

> Alright, Saint, you're done, cut off . . . no more drinkie-poos for
> you.
>
> You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.
>
> Bet you hear that a lot, don't you?

Connie, be real careful with this guy. I think I've figured out his secret
identity, and it will amaze you. The clue is the chip in his back. And who
put it there? George Bush. Not Bush II, Bush I, George Herbert Walker Bush,
Papa Bush. Back in the '80's things weren't as miniaturized as they are now.
Think telephones, then vs.now.

So, now put all those clues together, with one more....this picture taken
back in the debates for the last presidential election:
http://leafpublishing.com/bush-bulge.jpg

And now who is our strange Mr. Blurpaedius XXX? None other than George W.
Bush, himself!

See, be careful!!!!

--
Fred Doyle

NotMe

Feb 7, 2006, 11:05:46 PM2/7/06

"Connie Pierce"

| > No loss of respect and I am very sorry to have intimidated you I seek
only
| > lively discourse.
|
| I never thought you intimidated me (or anyone else) on purpose! And you
| should know better than I that you should never apologize for your
| intelligence! ( : Even though I only partially understand them, I still
| LOVE your posts! I actually learn more about the world around me
| (without the newcaster chit-chat or idiocy) . . .
|
| And lively discourse to you is brain-smarting to me! If you feel
| generous, please feel free to send a few brain cells my way! ( :
|
| And again, out of everyone here, you and Inez I respect the most!

could be that we were both raised on good gumbo and other spicy things, like
life.

Not appoligizing for my (lack of) intelligance only that I may have
offended.

Message has been deleted

Onideus Mad Hatter

Feb 8, 2006, 2:37:55 AM2/8/06
On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 11:06:13 -0500, "Saint Blurpaedius XXX"
<exterminatethechris...@666.com> wrote:

>As a matter of fact I have never net copped anyone. However your post
>should be netcopped and I should have your internet access privaledges
>revoked.

Oh hey, why don't you get my "internet access privaledges" revoked
too! Hurry, hurry now! Don't dissapoint, Blurpy.

>Your are annoying and should not be allowed on this group.

Your top poasting and deficient grasp of remedial English is currently
the most annoying thing in this froup...luckily mocking your inane
dribbling stupidity more than makes up for it, so I can't really say
that I'd like you to stop posting any time soon. ^_^

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ą x ą

Hatter Quotes
-------------
"I'm not a professional, I'm an artist."

"The more I learn the more I'm killing my idols."

"Is it wrong to incur and then use the hate ridden, vengeful stupidity
of complete strangers in random Usenet froups to further my art?"

"Freedom is only a concept, like race it's merely a social construct
that doesn't really exist outside of your ability to convince others
of its relevancy."

"Next time slow up a lil, then maybe you won't jump the gun and start
creamin yer panties before it's time to pop the champagne proper."

"Reality is directly proportionate to how creative you are."

"People are pretty fucking high on themselves if they think that
they're just born with a soul. *snicker*...yeah, like they're just
givin em out for free."

"Quible, quible said the Hare. Quite a lot of quibling...everywhere.
So the Hare took a long stare and decided at best, to leave the rest,
to their merry little mess."

"There's a difference between 'bad' and 'so earth shatteringly
horrible it makes the angels scream in terror as they violently rip
their heads off, their blood spraying into the faces of a thousand
sweet innocent horrified children, who will forever have the terrible
images burned into their tiny little minds'."

"How sad that you're such a poor judge of style that you can't even
properly gauge the artistic worth of your own efforts."

"Those who record history are those who control history."

"Is my .sig delimiter broken? Really? You're sure? Awww,
gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )

Connie Pierce

Feb 8, 2006, 9:52:56 AM2/8/06
In article <eo7ju19ge00d7v283...@4ax.com>, Onideus Mad
Hatter <use...@backwater-productions.net> wrote:

> >As a matter of fact I have never net copped anyone. However your post
> >should be netcopped and I should have your internet access privaledges
> >revoked.
>
> Oh hey, why don't you get my "internet access privaledges" revoked
> too! Hurry, hurry now! Don't dissapoint, Blurpy.
>
> >Your are annoying and should not be allowed on this group.
>
> Your top poasting and deficient grasp of remedial English is currently
> the most annoying thing in this froup...luckily mocking your inane
> dribbling stupidity more than makes up for it, so I can't really say
> that I'd like you to stop posting any time soon. ^_^

Um, DUH! I warned you, Sainty-kins. Hatter won't rest until you're a
set of bleached bones (and rusted microchip) on the side of road,
collecting bird crap and dog piss. Fortunately, though, you're demise
won't be for naught as your ravaged skeleton will serve as a warning to
others who venture into ADG.

While it was between you and the others here, you had a semblence of a
chance (through your sheer lunacy and our disgust) - but not with
Hatter. We would have gotten disgusted and bored and walked away - but
Hatter will play with you, bait you, and then stomp you until you *beg*
for your "internet acess privaledges" to be revoked. Permanently.

If I have any idea of what Hatter can do (and I think I do), he's only
just started. It *will* get more painful and more humiliating. Take it
from one who knows.

Connie Pierce

Feb 8, 2006, 2:05:28 PM2/8/06
In article <ZseGf.513$8_5...@fe05.lga>, NotMe <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> could be that we were both raised on good gumbo and other spicy things, like
> life.
>
> Not appoligizing for my (lack of) intelligance only that I may have
> offended.

Oh, puh-lease - you absolutely did *not* offend!! : ) Please don't
make me say it again: I LOVE your posts - whether I understand them or
not! : )

Are you from Lousiana? If so, I'm a near neighbor - Panama City Beach,
FL. When're you stopping by? ;)

BTW, I ended up getting the Epson R340 at my local Best Buy. I needed a
printer ASAP and they were the only ones that had close to what I
wanted close-by (technologically, we're in the boonies!!).

The Canon i9900 got rave reviews, so I've got that on order (2 weeks,
they said)! My Epson so far is awesome!! It's only capable of 3
picoliters, but the Canon will be 1 picoliter AND medium format. If
you're still in the market for a medium, I'll let you know how she goes
when I get her! :)

Cheers, regards & all that good stuff!

Phil Scott

Feb 8, 2006, 8:06:08 PM2/8/06

> My Lexmark just died (yeah - I know - stupid me for being
> brand
> loyal!!) and I desperately need a new, decent printer. Any
> suggestions?
>
> The features I'm most interested in is awesome prints, large
> format
> (11-13 inches wide) if possible, and Mac OS 10.4
> compatibility.
>
> I'm currently eyeballing the Epson RX700, R2400, and the
> Canon i9900
> (notice that Lexy isn't on the list - I HATE the damn things
> now) . . .
> I'm hoping to spend no more than $400 . . .

I have HP and Epson... HP has been the biggest pain in the ass
as far as software gltiches and customer service goes. but I
have a fax/printer/ copier that makes it worse. Otherwise
HP might be the best.

Epson has a wider range inks, super color fast and inks for
printing on plastic.. the epson software is probably a lot
simpler than HP... HP software was apparently developed by
crazy people that had escaped from microsoft and were tying to
get job security by means of 5 billion lines of unfathomable
code...then they change models every two weeks...so when you
call in for tech support its nasty,...and they want big
money... thats why my last two large format printers have
been epson.

Phil Scott

rosserx

Feb 9, 2006, 12:37:57 AM2/9/06
Connie Pierce wrote:
> My Lexmark just died (yeah - I know - stupid me for being brand
> loyal!!) and I desperately need a new, decent printer. Any suggestions?
>
> The features I'm most interested in is awesome prints, large format
> (11-13 inches wide) if possible, and Mac OS 10.4 compatibility.
>
> I'm currently eyeballing the Epson RX700, R2400, and the Canon i9900
> (notice that Lexy isn't on the list - I HATE the damn things now) . . .
> I'm hoping to spend no more than $400 . . .
>
> Any words of wisdom? I'd love to hear your faves, craves and hates!
> Much appreciation in advance!
>
> Connie

Around 4 (maybe 5) years ago I bought a used Epson 1280 off Ebay and to
this day it is still my rock-solid workhorse. And when it dies I will
probably go out and buy a new 1280. I love this printer. And I have it
on a wireless network between a mac, a pc, and a laptop. It runs smooth
as silk on all 3.

ross