Would you take the pledge?

Fred Doyle

Apr 15, 2008, 7:23:38 AM4/15/08
I hadn't been aware of the Designers Accord until I saw it mentioned in
the NY times today. It seems like an interesting concept. Would you
participate in an organized movement like this?

http://www.designersaccord.org/index.html

Fred

NotMe

Apr 15, 2008, 1:04:45 PM4/15/08
"Fred Doyle" <fdo...@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message

Good in principle but in practice ... little more than mental masturbation.

Fred Doyle

Apr 15, 2008, 2:31:19 PM4/15/08

"NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

So that's a no? You wouldn't participate? Or do you enjoy mental
masturbation? (stop that or you'll go blind, or maybe just stop dreaming if
you mentally masturbate)

Fred

SewVeryCreative

Apr 15, 2008, 2:48:54 PM4/15/08
Check to see if he has hair on his brain. ;)

--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

"Fred Doyle" <fdo...@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message

Drew

Apr 15, 2008, 4:55:06 PM4/15/08

I would and could, yet I try to do all those things already.

So how 'bout you, Fred. Would you take the pledge? Give us the "whys"
and "why nots".

Drew

ArtistMike

Apr 15, 2008, 7:23:23 PM4/15/08
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:55:06 -0700, Drew wrote
(in article <4805162a$0$22228$4c36...@roadrunner.com>):

Quote from the site:

"educating ourselves and the public about the environmental impact of
consumption"

End Quote.

A shiny new logo from ArtistMike.com does not harm the environment.

Chuckle.

":^)

Mike
Site at: http://www.artistmike.com

Certificate Design at: http://www.artistmike.com/CertificateDesigns/1.html

Logos at: http://www.artistmike.com/NewLogos2002/Logos2002.08a.html

AdSense PodCast at: http://www.artistmike.com/AdSensePodCast/1.html

Drew

Apr 15, 2008, 8:36:58 PM4/15/08
ArtistMike wrote:

> Quote from the site:
>
> "educating ourselves and the public about the environmental impact of
> consumption"
>
> End Quote.
>

> A shiny new logo from ArtistMike.com does not harm the environment.

Oh, but the massacre of all those innocent bevels.

Alas, the pity.

Drew

Fred Doyle

Apr 15, 2008, 8:38:37 PM4/15/08

I'm sure you now by now, I don't have a simple yes or no, why or why not
to the question.

I'm focused on the web for the next 18-24 months at a minimum. I'm not
sure how the web would fit in with this manifesto. How does that role
fit in with, "Initiate a dialogue about environmental impact and
sustainable alternatives with each and every client." Should I be
encouraging people to view the site with renewable electric energy sources?

I should "Rework client contracts to favor environmentally responsible
design and work processes." Huh? How does that fit in with a web focus.
What's an environmentally "responsible design and work process" when
your talking about the web. I encourage people to recycle their coffee
cups and soda bottles at work. Is that enough? What else should I do?

Educational institutions (like my employer) are one of the specific
groups they invite to participate in this effort. According to the
guidelines they should, "Measure the carbon/greenhouse gas footprint of
your firm (includes operations and client engagements), and pledge to
reduce your footprint annually." Already there.

They should also, "Initiate a dialogue about environmental impact and
sustainable alternatives with every student and colleague in your
educational program. Rework curricula and assignments to emphasize
environmentally responsible design and work processes. Provide course
content, lectures, and assignments that focus on strategic and material
alternatives for sustainable design." They already do.

Those are an organizational commitment. I already work for a fairly
environmentally conscious employer. We have an Office of Environmental
Sustainability and a substantial "Go Green" effort.
(http://www.albany.edu/gogreen/) We've hired a Director of
Environmental Sustainability. We're making investments to reduce waste
and our carbon footprint.

Personally, I've helped the effort by helping them prepare materials and
promote their efforts, but that's not even listed on the guidelines of
things to do.

I think I already did, "Advance the understanding of environmental
issues from a design perspective by contributing actively to the
communal knowledge base for sustainable design" just by posting this
here. Is that enough?

They admit that "The barrier to entry for adopting the Designers Accord
is deliberately low" but is what I do already enough? They are not only
low, they are vague.

And just because I can't help but be a curmudgeon, they also say, "The
goal of the Designers Accord is to bring the creative community together
as a social and cultural force to create positive impact. We will do
this by educating ourselves and our teams about environmental issues,
and talking to each and every client and customer about environmental
consequence."

Ok. If I want to bring the creative community together and create a
positive impact by pointing about all the sources that postulate that
global warming is a myth thereby educating us and every client and
customer about the hyperbole of the stated environmental consequences,
is that OK too? (I'm asking a question, not saying I believe that). I
believe as much in debate and the marketplace of ideas as I do in
environmental sustainability. Could I take their pledge and still do that?

Fred

NotMe

Apr 15, 2008, 9:09:22 PM4/15/08

"SewVeryCreative" <sewcre...@knologyDOT.net> wrote in message

| Check to see if he has hair on his brain. ;)

LOL!

NotMe

Apr 15, 2008, 9:08:57 PM4/15/08
"Fred Doyle" <fdo...@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message

| "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
| > "Fred Doyle" <fdo...@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
| > |I hadn't been aware of the Designers Accord until I saw it mentioned in
| > | the NY times today. It seems like an interesting concept. Would you
| > | participate in an organized movement like this?
| > |
| > | http://www.designersaccord.org/index.html
| > |
| > | Fred
| >
| > Good in principle but in practice ... little more than mental
| > masturbation.
| >

| So that's a no? You wouldn't participate?

My experience with most green 501C3 originations is that they are high on
rhetoric and low on effective impact.

As to being green I've been green since engineering school. I had a pilot
bio diesel project going until the state demanded a $2500 bond and permit
fees just for the right to have the paper work to pay the fuel tax.
(disregarding the fuel was for heating)

Also had a gray water system that produced legally potable water or did
until the state sent me a letter advising that the system was agin the
rules. (This in the middle of the worst drought this area had had in
decades.)

| (stop that or you'll go blind, or maybe just stop dreaming if
| you mentally masturbate)

Can I continue until I need glasses?

NotMe

Apr 15, 2008, 10:23:22 PM4/15/08

"Fred Doyle" <fdo...@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message

You just made my point for me.

Shank

Apr 18, 2008, 12:23:30 PM4/18/08

no. I wouldn't.

But is this more geared that a designer will try to design more green
for packaging. I have opened many o' box. Only to have to open a
individually sealed bag, where there i a tray, paper sealing, and
tissue paper around it. Well maybe not too many. Mostly I just get
disgusted at Valentines day.

I also am not totally on board with this whole "go green movement".

Maybe its because I am still not so much sold on this human induced
global warming theory...

NotMe

Apr 20, 2008, 9:32:59 AM4/20/08

"Shank" <jerem...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Leaving the various technology augments out of this discussion, true green
design has a strong element of conservatism. Recall admonishment "Waste not
Want not"?

But that type of design outside the providence of graphic designers as other
elements come into play that can only be addressed by engineering and
marketing. I'm an engineer and any suggestions along those lines are
generally ignored as 'not your job'. Even in those project that involve
packaging design we're told what materials to use in the end product.

As example, much of the plastic blister packaging is the result of an
attempt at loss control. It's a cost center from the get go but much less
than the cost of shrinkage at the retail end.

Onideus Mad Hatter

Apr 24, 2008, 10:14:20 AM4/24/08
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:23:23 GMT, ArtistMike <mi...@artistmike.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:55:06 -0700, Drew wrote
>(in article <4805162a$0$22228$4c36...@roadrunner.com>):
>
>> Fred Doyle wrote:
>>> I hadn't been aware of the Designers Accord until I saw it mentioned in
>>> the NY times today. It seems like an interesting concept. Would you
>>> participate in an organized movement like this?
>>>
>>> http://www.designersaccord.org/index.html
>>>
>>> Fred
>>
>> I would and could, yet I try to do all those things already.
>>
>> So how 'bout you, Fred. Would you take the pledge? Give us the "whys"
>> and "why nots".
>>
>> Drew
>

>Quote from the site:
>
>"educating ourselves and the public about the environmental impact of
>consumption"
>
>End Quote.
>

>A shiny new logo from ArtistMike.com does not harm the environment.
>
>Chuckle.

Actually...it does harm the environment. It's a visual blight on the
virtual landscape, affecting peoples moods and emotions, making them
feel sick and nauseated. It's a distracting eye sore that lowers the
resale value of the grid.

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ą x ą

Hatter Quotes
-------------
"You're only one of the best if you're striving to become one of the
best."

"I didn't make reality, Sunshine, I just verbally bitch slapped you
with it."

"I'm not a professional, I'm an artist."

"Your Usenet blinders are my best friend."

"Usenet Filters - Learn to shut yourself the fuck up!"

"Drugs killed Jesus you know...oh wait, no, that was the Jews, my
bad."

"There are clingy things in the grass...burrs 'n such...mmmm..."

"The more I learn the more I'm killing my idols."

"Is it wrong to incur and then use the hate ridden, vengeful stupidity
of complete strangers in random Usenet froups to further my art?"

"Freedom is only a concept, like race it's merely a social construct
that doesn't really exist outside of your ability to convince others
of its relevancy."

"Next time slow up a lil, then maybe you won't jump the gun and start
creamin yer panties before it's time to pop the champagne proper."

"Reality is directly proportionate to how creative you are."

"People are pretty fucking high on themselves if they think that
they're just born with a soul. *snicker*...yeah, like they're just
givin em out for free."

"Quible, quible said the Hare. Quite a lot of quibling...everywhere.
So the Hare took a long stare and decided at best, to leave the rest,
to their merry little mess."

"There's a difference between 'bad' and 'so earth shatteringly
horrible it makes the angels scream in terror as they violently rip
their heads off, their blood spraying into the faces of a thousand
sweet innocent horrified children, who will forever have the terrible
images burned into their tiny little minds'."

"How sad that you're such a poor judge of style that you can't even
properly gauge the artistic worth of your own efforts."

"Those who record history are those who control history."

"I am the living embodiment of hell itself in all its tormentive rage,
endless suffering, unfathomable pain and unending horror...but you
don't get sent to me...I come for you."

"Ideally in a fight I'd want a BGM-109A with a W80 250 kiloton
tactical thermonuclear fusion based war head."

"Tell me, would you describe yourself more as a process or a
function?"

"Apparently this group has got the market cornered on stupid.
Intelligence is down 137 points across the board and the forecast
indicates an increase in Webtv users."

"Is my .sig delimiter broken? Really? You're sure? Awww,
gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )