How I got the entire Larami (Super Soaker) art department fired in 1993

1 view

andrew

Oct 11, 2001, 7:47:30 PM10/11/01
Wanna know?

If there's enough interest I'll type in my letter to the boss.

Mike C.

Oct 11, 2001, 7:58:59 PM10/11/01

andrew wrote:

> Wanna know?
>
> If there's enough interest I'll type in my letter to the boss.

Sure.

--
Mike C.

* Logo Design
* DHTML & GIF Animation
* Custom Graphics for YOUR Site!

Stop by and see if my skills and talents are up to your standards.

Site at: http://www.artistmike.com

SCG

Oct 11, 2001, 8:35:12 PM10/11/01
What's Larami (Super Soaker)?
scg

Mike P C

Oct 11, 2001, 9:30:56 PM10/11/01
I'd read it

Mike

Carol Ott

Oct 11, 2001, 9:32:43 PM10/11/01
It's the company that made the wildly-popular-for-a-minute mega squirt gun
thingy.

Carol

"SCG" <x...@comnet.ca> wrote in message

Carol Ott

Oct 11, 2001, 9:35:55 PM10/11/01
Of course. Why not?

Carol

andrew

Oct 11, 2001, 10:02:06 PM10/11/01
Apparently they're still going strong...

http://www.supersoaker.com/

andrew

Oct 11, 2001, 10:02:46 PM10/11/01
Over and out.

Carol Ott

Oct 11, 2001, 11:31:08 PM10/11/01
Ugh. I see the Wal-Mart bunch hasn't moved on to another trend yet.

Carol

andrew

Oct 12, 2001, 7:41:28 AM10/12/01
Quick preface:

The Art Director was incompetent and she somehow snuck her way in.
Whenever someone did some good work, she'd "take over from here" and
present it in a closed-door meeting to the president, Myung Song. He
didn't seem to notice her incompetence or her taking credit for what we
did without her.

Once, he asked that the entire art department come to a meeting; she
protested, and it turned out to be just she and I and one other artist
who never said anything and was the newest one there. The president
asked for a critique of a package she "laid out" (had her friend at an
outside agency compe up) and I tore into it; he agreed with almost
everything I said, and she fought me on each point.

Everything we did in-house was by hand, and, therefore, slow.

Another gentleman, Mr. Kim, was hired to troubleshoot the company and
raise its efficiency.

All of the design work we did in-house, by hand, was sent to a friend of
the art director, who, in turn, not only billed us for production, but
billed entire design fees on top, for things we had already designed.

Boy with a dream, enter, stage left.

February 22 1993

Mr. Kim:

Enclosed please find billings for work done "out of house". The date of
these billings ranges from the beginning of 1992 to present. Please note
that these are only billings from a few outside agencies, and while they
reflect the bulk of our "paid" charges, they do not indicate all monies
which were paid out.

The purpose of this memo is to promote Larami's interest in the purchase
of a computer system for the art department. As you will find, the
enclosed billings, while incomplete, represent more than one hundred
thousand dollars. An adequate computer system would substantially reduce
future spendings such as these. It is important to consider this at this
time, as we will soon have the opportunity for new design and I feel we
should keep as much work as possible, design and otherwise, at Larami.

As an example, let us suppose that a "complete" system costs $20,000. If
we eliminate only one-fifth of the aforementioned billings, then the
system has, at the very least, "paid for itself". However, I believe
that a much greater percentage of these billings would be eliminated,
and obviously we would have the use of the system for a far greater
period than the fourteen-month period which these billings reflect.

Additionally, a large amount of the design work we have been billed for
has been immediately and repeatedly revised. Revisions by hand can be
inadequate and lengthy, whereas computerized revision (much of that
which we have been billed for) can be almost instantaneous and look
professional.

I realize that the billings enclosed have not been rigorously organized
and that some information may be unclear; it would be my pleasure to
discuss anything which may be helpful to you.

Thank you for your time.

Andrew

About a week after this was submitted, a new gentleman popped into the
scene in a makeshift office. He had regular closed-door meetings with
the Art Director. About a week after that, the entire art department was
fired. Except her, of course.
About two weeks later, she called me to say she needed some of us back.
I didn't go.
She was gone not too long after, and Hasbro bought the company.

The End.

Mike P C

Oct 12, 2001, 8:51:09 AM10/12/01
Interesting.... She actually got "HER" talent fired, and then
she probably couldn't produce.

Don't you just love that kind of ethic.

Mike

Carol Ott

Oct 12, 2001, 9:20:18 AM10/12/01
Those types always have the *worst* career karma. (shudder).

Carol