New DishPlayer Software (10/15/03)

Bill R

Oct 15, 2003, 11:41:58 AM10/15/03
A new software update started spooling at 3 AM today for the
DishPlayers (models 7100 and 7200). It is Web TV CLIENT
2.3.4.6 (version 16914). The changes in this version are:

* Notices, Instant News and Games have been removed.
* Available drive space is shown (in percentage) on the
recorded programs page.
* Search has been added on the TV Home page. The Help
and Settings selections have been moved to the bottom of the
screen.
* MSN Messenger changes have been done to allow those that
use it to keep using it.

Now that the Instant News and Games are gone MSN is not
supplying any data for the DishPlayer (with the change in
the previous CLIENT software release MSN stopped supplying
the guide information). I have heard that this may be the
last CLIENT release for the DishPlayer unless serious bugs
are found in this CLIENT release. DISH will continue to do
RECEIVER software upgrades for the DishPlayer if they are
required. The DishPlayer will NOT be getting SuperDish support.

I have not heard anything new about the PTV fee. Those that
have been getting it without paying the $9.99 monthly fee
should continue to get it until at least the end of the year.
--
Bill R.

Remove No-Junk-Mail- in e-mail address to reply by e-mail

Jim

Oct 15, 2003, 12:28:04 PM10/15/03
and if you pay the $9.99 they will not take it off your bill
"Bill R" <No-Junk-M...@iglou.com> wrote in message

Geronimo

Oct 15, 2003, 7:20:04 PM10/15/03
Why would you expect them to take it off your bill?
SatelliteGuys.US is your Satellite News, Talk & Information Source!

Alan Dana

Oct 15, 2003, 8:59:46 PM10/15/03
On 10/15/03 10:41 AM, in article 3F8D6AC6...@iglou.com, "Bill R"
<No-Junk-M...@iglou.com> wrote:

> A new software update started spooling at 3 AM today for the
> DishPlayers (models 7100 and 7200). It is Web TV CLIENT
> 2.3.4.6 (version 16914). The changes in this version are:
>
> * Notices, Instant News and Games have been removed.

In nearly 3 years, I played the games about 5 times. Used "Instant" News
twice (it was too slow). So I don't mind losing these things.

> * Available drive space is shown (in percentage) on the
> recorded programs page.

This is nice. Right now I have 7% remaining on my non-standard 30GB drive.

> Now that the Instant News and Games are gone MSN is not
> supplying any data for the DishPlayer (with the change in
> the previous CLIENT software release MSN stopped supplying
> the guide information). I have heard that this may be the
> last CLIENT release for the DishPlayer unless serious bugs
> are found in this CLIENT release. DISH will continue to do
> RECEIVER software upgrades for the DishPlayer if they are
> required. The DishPlayer will NOT be getting SuperDish support.

I can live with all of this. SuperDish support would be nice, but that
would be asking a lot for a dated receiver.

> I have not heard anything new about the PTV fee. Those that
> have been getting it without paying the $9.99 monthly fee
> should continue to get it until at least the end of the year.

At CEDIA a Dish rep told me that it would be good at least to the end of the
year, and he suspected it would never be charged again. He said he would
not want to be the person who had to tell DP owners that they would be
charged for it.

Alan

Jim

Oct 15, 2003, 10:13:13 PM10/15/03
they did for some but not all
"Geronimo" <geroni...@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message

Involuntary

Oct 16, 2003, 12:09:29 AM10/16/03
In news:alt.dbs.echostar, Bill R <No-Junk-M...@iglou.com> posted
on Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:41:58 -0400:

> A new software update started spooling at 3 AM today for the
> DishPlayers (models 7100 and 7200). It is Web TV CLIENT
> 2.3.4.6 (version 16914). The changes in this version are:
>
> * Notices, Instant News and Games have been removed.

Good. They were both useless, anyway. Well, I did like the stock
quotes feature on the Instant News.

> Now that the Instant News and Games are gone MSN is not
> supplying any data for the DishPlayer (with the change in
> the previous CLIENT software release MSN stopped supplying
> the guide information). I have heard that this may be the
> last CLIENT release for the DishPlayer unless serious bugs
> are found in this CLIENT release. DISH will continue to do
> RECEIVER software upgrades for the DishPlayer if they are
> required. The DishPlayer will NOT be getting SuperDish support.

:-( That blows monkey chunks. But I'm not surprised. If nothing
else, the two hard drives in the two Dishplayers I have might make a
nice RAID array for my computer. :-) And as long as some other receiver
I get to replace the Dishplayer has as robust a search feature as the
Dishplayer, I'll be happy. The one thing I will miss is the WebTV
computer keyboard I used to type in the search parameters. As one who
types 80 words per minute, trying to fumble around with an icon on a TV
screen is just too daunting a task to make searching any fun at all.

--
____ __ __
/ _/____ _ __ ____ / /__ __ ____ / /_ ____ _ _____ __ __

Geronimo

Oct 16, 2003, 12:00:03 PM10/16/03
They did what for some? Refund money they had already paid or not
charge it to begin with? I don't like the fee---and I had mine
resinded. But refunding money already paid is unusual.

> oljimwrote:

Source![/quote:89109e2308]

CheetoDust

Oct 20, 2003, 12:16:37 PM10/20/03
In article <oqm2pv4r0f68ml78q...@4ax.com>, Ken Stuart wrote:

> World War II is over. Japan lost.

Spoiler space!!!!

...Sean. ;^)

Involuntary

Oct 21, 2003, 7:30:10 PM10/21/03
In news:alt.dbs.echostar, Ken Stuart <kst...@ev1.net> posted on Sat, 18
Oct 2003 08:25:29 -0700:

> Involuntary <Invol...@go.com> was kind enough to mention:

> >And as long as some other receiver
> >I get to replace the Dishplayer has as robust a search feature as the
> >Dishplayer, I'll be happy.
>

> World War II is over. Japan lost.

Huh?