Bugs in latest 522 software

1 view

Ray

Nov 4, 2006, 4:53:44 PM11/4/06
A few days ago I noticed that my 522 had started displaying episode
numbers and original air dates. Sure enough, the sytem info screen
says the software version is now L411. (Why they jumped from 298 to
411 is beyond me; the EKB mentions 381 and 383 in between, but I never
got those.)

Has anyone else run into these two major bugs, or is it just me?
First, the fast-forward function frequently doesn't fast forward; the
little bar graph pops up, but the program just sits there, frozen.
This happens at least once per show, I'd say. Using the skip back
button a few times usually fixes it.

Second, using fast forward sometimes causes the DVR to think it's
reached the end of the program, even though it's not even close.
Hitting "done", then "resume", then the skip forward a few times fixes
this.

When I called Dish tech support, the rep didn't know a new version was
out -- even though she'd noticed the new episode numbers on her own
receiver.

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)

Steve Jenkins

Nov 4, 2006, 5:44:11 PM11/4/06
My 625 (same software as 525) still has 383 (and I believe 381 and 298
before that). They skip numbers because other receivers get numbers in
between (for example, the 508 is currently at 363).

The only problem I have noticed with the 625 is the few seconds of muted
sound during playback (doesn't matter the channel).

And curious, I see my 508 skipping a few seconds during playback,
between 1 and 3 times and hour. Though strangely, this seems to only
happen on my locals, or at least more often with the locals. The
receiver was fine with 304, the previous version I had until they forced
an upgrade (I did avoid the buggy in between releases of 308, 309, and 361).

Bob

Nov 5, 2006, 12:29:12 AM11/5/06
Ray wrote:
> A few days ago I noticed that my 522 had started displaying episode
> numbers and original air dates...

> Has anyone else run into these two major bugs, or is it just me?
> First, the fast-forward function frequently doesn't fast forward; the
> little bar graph pops up, but the program just sits there, frozen.

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing that problem. My 522 was
replaced a few months back and it was a pain waiting for the new box to
be sent out and losing all the recordings that were on the old box.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John Lodge

Nov 5, 2006, 8:49:32 AM11/5/06
John Smith wrote:

> Hi Steve Jenkins,

> On Nov 04 2006, Steve Jenkins wrote:
>

>>And curious, I see my 508 skipping a few seconds during playback,
>>between 1 and 3 times and hour. Though strangely, this seems to only
>>happen on my locals, or at least more often with the locals. The
>>receiver was fine with 304, the previous version I had until they
>>forced an upgrade (I did avoid the buggy in between releases of 308,
>>309, and 361).
>

> Have you noticed any timers that you have set from the EPG not firing?
>
> Particularly when the unit has to power up to start the recording?
>
> I'm starting to see more timers not working and apparently I'm not the
> only one to have this problem. Last Friday two timers on the same
> channel, one after the other were set. Only the second one actually
> recorded.
>
> Some have suggested that it can almost be gotten around by leaving the
> receiver always powered on. The cause, as I understand it, has something
> to do with the glitch in the stream throwing the internal clock out of
> sync.
>
> I called DISH yesterday and spoke with a CSR. After several minutes
> explaining the situation to her, she finally admitted that this is a
> known problem and might be fixed in an upcoming firmware release.

John,

Suggestion, LEAVE THE RECEIVER POWERED UP. Believe it or not all Dish
receivers use almost the same number of watts whether ON or OFF, within
one or two watts.

You are NOT saving any power by "Powering your receiver down".

John

Message has been deleted

Steve Jenkins

Nov 5, 2006, 2:07:07 PM11/5/06
John Smith wrote:
> Hi Steve Jenkins,
>
> On Nov 04 2006, Steve Jenkins wrote:
>
>> And curious, I see my 508 skipping a few seconds during playback,
>> between 1 and 3 times and hour. Though strangely, this seems to only
>> happen on my locals, or at least more often with the locals. The
>> receiver was fine with 304, the previous version I had until they
>> forced an upgrade (I did avoid the buggy in between releases of 308,
>> 309, and 361).
>
> Have you noticed any timers that you have set from the EPG not firing?
>
> Particularly when the unit has to power up to start the recording?
>
> I'm starting to see more timers not working and apparently I'm not the
> only one to have this problem. Last Friday two timers on the same
> channel, one after the other were set. Only the second one actually
> recorded.
>
> Some have suggested that it can almost be gotten around by leaving the
> receiver always powered on. The cause, as I understand it, has something
> to do with the glitch in the stream throwing the internal clock out of
> sync.
>
> I called DISH yesterday and spoke with a CSR. After several minutes
> explaining the situation to her, she finally admitted that this is a
> known problem and might be fixed in an upcoming firmware release.

As a matter a fact, I have seen some timers not fire. Specifically last
Wednesday night, the NBC Nightly News (6:30), Jericho (8:00) and
Lost/The Nine (9:00, 2 hour timer). However, strangely, a timer set
later that night for Discovery Channel (Mythbusters for 2 hours at
1:00am) did fire. Fortunately I was able to watch the missed shows online.

I don't remember if the unit was powered down or up at the time. I was
always in the habit of powering down when I wasn't using it, but since
363, I haven't really bothered because of the DUD feature I thought it
didn't really power down anymore (based on what others reported from
308, 309 or 361). But recently I do notice the "Waiting for hard drive
to spin up" message, so I guess that function is still there.

It hasn't been missing timers since that night, but again I don't
remember if it was powered up or down. I will definitely monitor this
from now on. (Boy do I wish I still had 304.)

Message has been deleted

Steve Jenkins

Nov 5, 2006, 4:23:26 PM11/5/06
John Smith wrote:
> Wasn't it mentioned that they had to forcibly upgrade people so we would
> have local weather on the eights. Does that even work yet? Last time I
> checked, and admittedly it was sometime last week, the Weather channel
> still showed the wide regional weather map on the eights. So it's
> possible that we got upgraded sooner then we should have for no good
> reason. I know, it sucks.

I am still wondering why this weather channel feature (one that as you
state has not even been implemented yet) required a forced upgrade to
begin with.

To me a required update would be for something that would prevent the
receiver from working at all. The weather channel feature does not
really qualify in my opinion.

I'm still convinced that it had more to do with DUD that anything else.

Eric Schreiber

Nov 6, 2006, 3:01:31 PM11/6/06
Ray wrote:

> A few days ago I noticed that my 522 had started displaying episode
> numbers and original air dates. Sure enough, the sytem info screen
> says the software version is now L411.

> Has anyone else run into these two major bugs, or is it just me?

> First, the fast-forward function frequently doesn't fast forward; the
> little bar graph pops up, but the program just sits there, frozen.
> This happens at least once per show, I'd say. Using the skip back
> button a few times usually fixes it.

I don't pay enough attention to have noticed the version number
changing. However, in the past several days we've noticed the exact
same problem with FF and RW. The appropriate display appears on screen,
but the image simply freezes.

We called Dish this morning and the woman my wife talked to tried to
debug our remotes. She couldn't seem to understand that the remotes
were working fine - the FF/RW bar displayed on screen, but the function
simply didn't work. Then she fell back to "We'll send you a new unit
and RMA your current one, but it will cost you $17 in S&H".

That's when I got annoyed and checked online. I found your post,
checked the DVR 522 version number (L411) and called them back.

They had me jump through some hoops (press power button on front panel
for five seconds to reboot unit, read off version and bootstrap numbers
from menu, etc). At this moment, it seems to be working fine. However,
the problem was intermittent to start with, so the two minutes of
testing I did while on the phone with Dish support is hardly
conclusive. In proactice it seemed to occur most when we'd been playing
normally for several minutes. Typically we FF through commercials.
We'll know better if it's fixed once we watch a full show this evening.

Meanwhile, they say they already shipped the replacement unit (in under
an hour? Sure.) and that we could avoid the S&H charges by simply
refusing the shipment. I'm happy to refuse it, but I guarantee that I
won't be paying the S&H charges for a bug they introduced, no matter
what.

Anyhow, thanks for your post - it let me know that this was a vendor
problem, not just a random failure.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Message has been deleted

just bob

Nov 6, 2006, 3:11:44 PM11/6/06

"Ray" <vortre...@yaxhoo.com> wrote in message

> Second, using fast forward sometimes causes the DVR to think it's
> reached the end of the program, even though it's not even close.
> Hitting "done", then "resume", then the skip forward a few times fixes
> this.

Yep, I've got this problem, too!

If I hit the skip buttons too many times it starts the program all over
again. So I try to FF at 33x but it's not always moving at that speed, more
like 4x.

Little Sir Echo

Nov 6, 2006, 4:15:51 PM11/6/06

On 6-Nov-2006, John Smith <jsm...@generictdl.void> wrote:

> Nah, I think that the reason there was a forced upgrade had little to do
> with The Weather Channel feature and more to do with DISH not wanting to
> take any chances that people were still using the buggy P309 (or the
> like) software. P309 cost them plenty replacing damaged receivers
> (whether actual or not) which resulted in lots of unhappy customers. The
> forced upgrade was damage control and ultimately an admission of a huge
> fiasco.

So what?

Corporate America behaves like that all the time.

Ray

Nov 6, 2006, 5:10:46 PM11/6/06
"just bob" <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> wrote:

> "Ray" <vortre...@yaxhoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Second, using fast forward sometimes causes the DVR to think it's
>> reached the end of the program, even though it's not even close.
>> Hitting "done", then "resume", then the skip forward a few times
>> fixes this.
>
> Yep, I've got this problem, too!
>
> If I hit the skip buttons too many times it starts the program all
> over again. So I try to FF at 33x but it's not always moving at
> that speed, more like 4x.

Is 33x something new? My 522 only has 4, 15, 60, and 300x; I almost
always use 15x. But since the change to L411, the FF seems slower and
jerkier than it did before. Also, the 10-second backup seems longer
than it was.

Message has been deleted

Steve Jenkins

Nov 7, 2006, 11:01:25 AM11/7/06
John Smith wrote:
> Hi Steve Jenkins,
> Nah, I think that the reason there was a forced upgrade had little to do
> with The Weather Channel feature and more to do with DISH not wanting to
> take any chances that people were still using the buggy P309 (or the
> like) software. P309 cost them plenty replacing damaged receivers
> (whether actual or not) which resulted in lots of unhappy customers. The
> forced upgrade was damage control and ultimately an admission of a huge
> fiasco.

Unfortunately I had good 304 and not bad 309.

Steve Jenkins

Nov 7, 2006, 11:08:42 AM11/7/06
Ray wrote:

> "just bob" <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> wrote:
>
> Is 33x something new? My 522 only has 4, 15, 60, and 300x; I almost
> always use 15x. But since the change to L411, the FF seems slower and
> jerkier than it did before. Also, the 10-second backup seems longer
> than it was.

I noticed that on our 625, which still has 363, that the 10 second
backup is not 10 seconds, something shorter. It takes 4 or 5 to back
what the 30 second skip ahead is going forward. Perhaps they were
trying to fix it so that is was 10 seconds like it is suppose to be.

With 411, does it seem like 10 seconds or longer?

Steve Jenkins

Nov 7, 2006, 11:17:41 AM11/7/06
I meant our 625 has 383, not 363 (that's the release in the 508).

Ray

Nov 7, 2006, 4:45:00 PM11/7/06
Steve Jenkins <no_lim...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I noticed that on our 625, which still has 363, that the 10 second
> backup is not 10 seconds, something shorter. It takes 4 or 5 to
> back what the 30 second skip ahead is going forward. Perhaps they
> were trying to fix it so that is was 10 seconds like it is suppose
> to be.
>
> With 411, does it seem like 10 seconds or longer?

I just did a quick test. The 30-second skip ahead is right around 30
seconds, as measured by the time remaining that shows up when you
pause. And three pushes of the skip back button take you back very
close to where you were before the skip ahead. So it looks like
they've actually made it ten seconds, unlike before. I never counted
how many skip backs equalled one skip ahead, but it was more than
three.

Now I just need to get used to pushing it fewer times.

Message has been deleted

just bob

Nov 7, 2006, 7:34:58 PM11/7/06
Typo s/b 300x

"Ray" <vortre...@yaxhoo.com> wrote in message

Steve Jenkins

Nov 7, 2006, 7:37:04 PM11/7/06
John Smith wrote:
> Hi Steve Jenkins,
>
> Yeah, and all for what?
>
> A forced upgrade with a feature that has yet to be implemented and even
> if it is, it's a waste of space. A nasty timer issue that affects the
> core purpose of a DVR receiver.
And don't forget the skipped seconds on recorded local channel programs.

> The whole mess reeks. As I mentioned in the other branch in this thread,
> hopefully in 48 hours there will be a resolution.

Agreed, but I think I let others test the fix before letting mine
upgrade (unless of course they force it again). Beware, the saying 'two
steps forward, one step backward' comes to mind. They're fix it, but
who knows what else they will screw up.
Message has been deleted

Steve Jenkins

Nov 8, 2006, 5:30:32 AM11/8/06
John Smith wrote:
> Hi Steve Jenkins,

>>> Yeah, and all for what?
>>>
>>> A forced upgrade with a feature that has yet to be implemented and
>>> even if it is, it's a waste of space. A nasty timer issue that
>>> affects the core purpose of a DVR receiver.
>> And don't forget the skipped seconds on recorded local channel
>> programs.
>
> Is that where all of a sudden what you recorded jumps in a series of
> near still frames into the future as if it was chopped up? I seen that
> happen a couple of times now and if I back it up it does the same thing
> in the same spot.
Yep, that's the bug (and of course 304 was fine). Though I noticed
sometimes, not always, that after backing up it will play the frames
correctly. Though sometimes when it does work, you can see pixelation
in the playback. Saw this with Heroes last night. I remember 3 skip
aheads, 1 I was able to backup and play right, but with some pixelation.

> There's also a sound issue. A recent example was when I was watching a
> movie on Showtime. Since I connect my DISH receiver via TOSLINK cable, I
> can see all 6 Dolby Digital channels represented as active LEDs on the
> face of the Home Theater system. Everything is going along fine then all
> of a sudden for about a second all the LEDs go dark (no signal) and
> there is no sound. The hard drive records it that way because if I back
> it up it does the same thing in the same spot.
No, I haven't noticed this on the 508 (though I don't think I have it
connected using optical). I do notice this on our 625. I can hear the
A/V receiver click when this happens. The 508 had this problem a long
time ago and it was fixed at one point.

>>> The whole mess reeks. As I mentioned in the other branch in this
>>> thread, hopefully in 48 hours there will be a resolution.
>>>
>> Agreed, but I think I let others test the fix before letting mine
>> upgrade (unless of course they force it again). Beware, the saying
>> 'two steps forward, one step backward' comes to mind. They're fix it,
>> but who knows what else they will screw up.
>

> That too is my concern. Since I have to keep the receiver on so timers
> will fire, I won't know when there is a new update until it is reported
> by someone else. And that's just the type of incentive DISH needs to do
> another forced upgrade.

I'm just going to wait for others to report. The last forced upgrade
was at around 4:00 am (I have no timers that late).

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Nov 9, 2006, 11:18:09 AM11/9/06
John Smith <jsm...@generictdl.void> wrote:

> Hi Steve Jenkins,
>
> On Nov 04 2006, Steve Jenkins wrote:
>
>> And curious, I see my 508 skipping a few seconds during playback,
>> between 1 and 3 times and hour. Though strangely, this seems to only
>> happen on my locals, or at least more often with the locals. The
>> receiver was fine with 304, the previous version I had until they
>> forced an upgrade (I did avoid the buggy in between releases of 308,
>> 309, and 361).
>
> Have you noticed any timers that you have set from the EPG not firing?
>
> Particularly when the unit has to power up to start the recording?
>
> I'm starting to see more timers not working and apparently I'm not the
> only one to have this problem. Last Friday two timers on the same
> channel, one after the other were set. Only the second one actually
> recorded.
>
> Some have suggested that it can almost be gotten around by leaving the
> receiver always powered on. The cause, as I understand it, has something
> to do with the glitch in the stream throwing the internal clock out of
> sync.
>
> I called DISH yesterday and spoke with a CSR. After several minutes
> explaining the situation to her, she finally admitted that this is a
> known problem and might be fixed in an upcoming firmware release.

That is what they told me about the audio drop outs and occasional video
artifacts. That was five months ago. I think it is best to assume that they
do not know how to fix it. I am not all to impressed with the DVR 522 piece
of equipement and it remains to be seen whether I stick with dish beyond my
contract date [for this very reason].

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Nov 9, 2006, 11:20:34 AM11/9/06
John Smith <jsm...@generictdl.void> wrote:

> Yeah, and all for what?
>
> A forced upgrade with a feature that has yet to be implemented and even
> if it is, it's a waste of space. A nasty timer issue that affects the
> core purpose of a DVR receiver.
>
> The whole mess reeks. As I mentioned in the other branch in this thread,
> hopefully in 48 hours there will be a resolution.

As far as software development goes, it really is not historically been Dish's
forte, so I would not hold your breath for a fix.

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Nov 9, 2006, 11:24:53 AM11/9/06
John Smith <jsm...@generictdl.void> wrote:

> There's also a sound issue. A recent example was when I was watching a
> movie on Showtime. Since I connect my DISH receiver via TOSLINK cable, I
> can see all 6 Dolby Digital channels represented as active LEDs on the
> face of the Home Theater system. Everything is going along fine then all
> of a sudden for about a second all the LEDs go dark (no signal) and
> there is no sound. The hard drive records it that way because if I back
> it up it does the same thing in the same spot.

I have the same problem on my DVR522 and it really pisses me off. They
claimed that they were aware of it and it would be fixed soon in a software
update. That was at the beginning of June. The incompetant slugs.

Todd Allcock

Nov 9, 2006, 12:16:37 PM11/9/06
At 09 Nov 2006 16:18:09 +0000 Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> That is what they told me about the audio drop outs and occasional video
> artifacts. That was five months ago. I think it is best to assume
that they
> do not know how to fix it. I am not all to impressed with the DVR 522
piece
> of equipement and it remains to be seen whether I stick with dish
beyond my
> contract date [for this very reason].

What annoys me is when the finally fix a bug, then bring it back in a
future release!

They had the audio dropouts/video artifacts problem fixed (at least on my
625) for several months before reintroducing them a few months ago.

Message has been deleted

Betts

Nov 9, 2006, 5:23:02 PM11/9/06

John Smith wrote:

> Can anyone confirm that their 508s are indeed now waking up for the
> timers after Wednesday?

Something has changed because for the very first time my 510 did not record
the timers I had set for last night. I had 3 timers set up as I usually do
and today there was nothing there. I never turn the DVR off and there was no
power outage as all the clocks were correct this morning. :(

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Howie

Nov 9, 2006, 9:16:48 PM11/9/06
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 10:16:37 -0700, Todd Allcock
<ElecC...@AmericaOnLine.com> wrote:

>What annoys me is when the finally fix a bug, then bring it back in a
>future release!
>
>They had the audio dropouts/video artifacts problem fixed (at least on my
>625) for several months before reintroducing them a few months ago.

I am a new leaser of the 625 and have seen the audio dropout/skip
problem over the past week it has been operating. I have a 510 and a
deactivated 508 and experienced the non-firing timer problems with the
508 (not to mention having nearly all my recorded--including
protected-- shows erased) as well. A Dish CSR apologized for the
erased programs and indicated it was a software issue.

Don't these clowns test their software before pushing it to their
customers or are we being treated like Microsoft's customers-- beta
testers?

--Howie

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Nov 10, 2006, 9:30:30 AM11/10/06
John Smith <jsm...@generictdl.void> wrote:

>> As far as software development goes, it really is not historically
>> been Dish's forte, so I would not hold your breath for a fix.
>
> Sure, but one can hope can't they? :)

Sure, if you want to. You have been properly warned.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Betts

Nov 11, 2006, 6:28:06 AM11/11/06

John Smith wrote:
> Hi Betts,

> Sorry to hear that. It's been a couple of days, has anything changed?

Yes. The next evening I set 3 timers and they all functioned perfectly. I
have no idea what happened.

Little Sir Echo

Nov 11, 2006, 4:31:44 PM11/11/06
> On Nov 09 2006, Howie wrote:
>
> > Don't these clowns test their software before pushing it to their
> > customers or are we being treated like Microsoft's customers-- beta
> > testers?

Howie--

Actually, they did test it--including making sure it would not work for
people who call them clowns!

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Nov 13, 2006, 10:33:47 AM11/13/06
John Smith <jsm...@generictdl.void> wrote:

> Hi Howie,
>
> On Nov 09 2006, Howie wrote:
>
>> Don't these clowns test their software before pushing it to their
>> customers or are we being treated like Microsoft's customers-- beta
>> testers?
>
> Of course they test their software. The question should be, what is a
> reasonable amount of time between discovery and fix.

Where to you get "of course" from? It seems rather obvious that they do not
implement a formal system testing proceedure to look for the scenarious that
the casual user finds without effort (i.e. audio drop outs).

Little Sir Echo

Nov 13, 2006, 1:42:58 PM11/13/06
> > On Nov 09 2006, Howie wrote:
> >
> >> Don't these clowns test their software before pushing it to their
> >> customers or are we being treated like Microsoft's customers-- beta
> >> testers?
> >
> > Of course they test their software. The question should be, what is a
> > reasonable amount of time between discovery and fix.
> >

> Where to you get "of course" from? It seems rather obvious that they do
> not
> implement a formal system testing proceedure to look for the scenarious
> that
> the casual user finds without effort (i.e. audio drop outs).
>
> Thomas T. Veldhouse

The "of course" from Howie is more obvious than your "rather obvious"
assertion that they do not.

So please explain why you feel that DISH has no "formal system testing
procedure..."

Opinions do not count, just the facts, please as we already know what your
opinion of DISH is.

What proof do you have that DISH has no "formal system testing
procedure..."?

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Nov 14, 2006, 9:55:38 AM11/14/06
Little Sir Echo <justwondering@aboutall this.net> wrote:

> The "of course" from Howie is more obvious than your "rather obvious"
> assertion that they do not.

Audio drop outs are wide spread and widely reported. They should have the
issue addressed and it should be part of every system test prior to release of
a new software. They have reportedly fixed the problem just to reintroduce it
in a later release.

That is but one example.

> So please explain why you feel that DISH has no "formal system testing
> procedure..."

I just did.

> Opinions do not count, just the facts, please as we already know what your
> opinion of DISH is.

I gave one example. There are more out there [i.e. Video artifacts are also
an issue ... apparenlty related to the audio bug].

> What proof do you have that DISH has no "formal system testing
> procedure..."?

The proof that they aren't doing it correctly is the software they release.
See above.

Little Sir Echo

Nov 14, 2006, 3:47:19 PM11/14/06

Thomas, nothing you wrote above PROVES that DISH does not have a formal
system testing procedure.

They may very well have one (and probably do), but there are all sorts of
other possibilities for the problems you mention, e.g.

1. Their formal testing procedure may not be working well or may not be as
comprehensive as it needs to be.

2. All of the problems you mention may be related to specific installations
rather than defective software.

Note that I used the word MAY three times because I am not saying flatly
that it MUST be something else.

The point I am making is that you have jumped to a conclusion not based on
known facts for which you can offer proof.

Thus it can be expected that some of us will jump to the conclusion that
your bias is showing in your willingness make unsupported charges against
DISH.

What direct evidence do you have that DISH does not have a formal system
testing procedure?

justa...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2006, 4:19:09 PM11/14/06
Take it EZ Little Sir Echo, your Echostar stock is safe ...

There is one thing that is supposed to seperate human beings from all
other life forms on this planet and that is "the ability to learn from
our mistakes". That ability to learn from our mistakes also seperates
the REALLY successfull businesses from the pack.

During the 8.5 years I was a Dish customer Dish's promotion was second
to none while their ability to deliver what they advertised was sorely
lacking. Dish's QC both on the hardware level and the software level
made Packard Bell look like Hewlett-Packard.

Dish's testing is little better now that it was 8.5 years ago when the
5000 receivers were benevelently given the "black screen of death".
Where's the intenret access so prominently bragged about when the 721s
were released? Where's the NBR for the 5xx and 721 that was promised by
Charlie repeatedly on the chats for at least two years?

Dish's inadequate level of testing is obvious to anyone who's been a
Dish customer. I will agree with Little Sir Echo in that it is unfair
to accuse Dish of having no testing procedure. If Dish had no testing
procedures at all then the law of averages would have given Dish
customers more competent hardware and more successfull software
downloads.

Maybe Dish should stop testing altogether and just flip a coin ... at
least the customers odds of getting receivers and hardware that worked
might improve.

In Charlie's zeal to make more money than Rupert, Dish's customers are
the losers. I can't say that DirecTV is any better but after 8.5 years
with Dish they can't be worse, even Comcast can't be worse and that is
saying something.

In the end just vote with your wallet for whatever works best for you
but don't expect your choice to work best for anyone else and don't rag
them because it doesn't.

Oops Little Sir Echo, Echostar is down 2 points :-)

Howie

Nov 14, 2006, 4:51:16 PM11/14/06
On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 18:42:58 GMT, "Little Sir Echo"
<justwondering@aboutall this.net> wrote:

>> > Of course they test their software. The question should be, what is a
>> > reasonable amount of time between discovery and fix.
>> >

>> Where to you get "of course" from? It seems rather obvious that they do
>> not
>> implement a formal system testing proceedure to look for the scenarious
>> that
>> the casual user finds without effort (i.e. audio drop outs).
>>
>> Thomas T. Veldhouse
>
>The "of course" from Howie is more obvious than your "rather obvious"
>assertion that they do not.

The "of course" comment was actually made by John Smith.

--Howie

Little Sir Echo

Nov 14, 2006, 9:50:34 PM11/14/06

On 14-Nov-2006, justa...@gmail.com wrote:

> Take it EZ Little Sir Echo, your Echostar stock is safe ...

I not only have no Echostar stock, I have no stocks/bonds at all.

> During the 8.5 years I was a Dish customer...

I've been a DISH customer almost that long.

> I will agree with Little Sir Echo in that it is unfair
> to accuse Dish of having no testing procedure.

That is the principal point I am trying to make.
I am NOT defending DISH--I am challenging the faulty reasoning so often used
by critics.

> In the end just vote with your wallet for whatever works best for you
> but don't expect your choice to work best for anyone else and don't rag
> them because it doesn't.

I agree, but following that policy would eliminate many of the posts in this
ng.

> Oops Little Sir Echo, Echostar is down 2 points :-)

It matters not to me unless it results in my having to choose between
DirecTV or Charter Cable which are the only other choices open to me.

Himanshu

Nov 15, 2006, 12:05:59 AM11/15/06
just bob wrote:
> "Ray" <vortre...@yaxhoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> Second, using fast forward sometimes causes the DVR to think it's
>> reached the end of the program, even though it's not even close.
>> Hitting "done", then "resume", then the skip forward a few times
>> fixes this.
>
> Yep, I've got this problem, too!
>
> If I hit the skip buttons too many times it starts the program all
> over again. So I try to FF at 33x but it's not always moving at that
> speed, more like 4x.

Very annoying problems - I've seen all of the above. After a reboot not
solving the problem, I called Dish and they said a fix was expected in
the 2nd week of December.

CSR offered me a replacement receiver which I declined after she told me
that it would also have the same version of the software.

--
Himanshu

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Nov 15, 2006, 8:21:46 AM11/15/06
Little Sir Echo <justwondering@aboutall this.net> wrote:
> Thomas, nothing you wrote above PROVES that DISH does not have a formal
> system testing procedure.

I am not going to PROVE it. I will let the substantial base of evidence speak
for itself.

What I am saying isn't specifically that they don't have a "formal testing
procedure", what I am saying is that they don't have a formal testing
procedure that works. They NEVER have.

OrkoPolo

Nov 15, 2006, 11:08:38 AM11/15/06
On Nov 4, 1:53 pm, Ray <vortren-ne...@yaxhoo.com> wrote:
> A few days ago I noticed that my 522 had started displaying episode
> numbers and original air dates. Sure enough, the sytem info screen
> says the software version is now L411. (Why they jumped from 298 to
> 411 is beyond me; the EKB mentions 381 and 383 in between, but I never
> got those.)
>
> Has anyone else run into these two major bugs, or is it just me?
> First, the fast-forward function frequently doesn't fast forward; the
> little bar graph pops up, but the program just sits there, frozen.
> This happens at least once per show, I'd say. Using the skip back
> button a few times usually fixes it.

> Second, using fast forward sometimes causes the DVR to think it's
> reached the end of the program, even though it's not even close.
> Hitting "done", then "resume", then the skip forward a few times fixes
> this.

I've been dealing with those same issues (fast forward/rewind, end of
program weirdness) for about a week now. I just looked again today and
I haven't seen it happen. My software revision (first time I thought
to look) is now L412. Don't know if it's fixed or not, or whether I
even had L411 when the problems where occuring.

I was *this* close to reinitializing and starting from scratch...I hope
I don't have to now.

Can anyone else verify that their version has been upped by one, and
whether you're still experiencing problems?

Message has been deleted

Ray

Nov 15, 2006, 5:42:45 PM11/15/06
"OrkoPolo" <orko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been dealing with those same issues (fast forward/rewind, end
> of program weirdness) for about a week now. I just looked again
> today and I haven't seen it happen. My software revision (first
> time I thought to look) is now L412. Don't know if it's fixed or
> not, or whether I even had L411 when the problems where occuring.
>
> I was *this* close to reinitializing and starting from scratch...I
> hope I don't have to now.
>
> Can anyone else verify that their version has been upped by one,
> and whether you're still experiencing problems?

I now have L412, but I haven't used it yet to see if it still has the
problems. The problems were still around yesterday evening, but I
don't know when L412 was loaded.

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)

Ray

Nov 15, 2006, 10:50:10 PM11/15/06
Ray <vortre...@yaxhoo.com> wrote:

I watched three or four shows this evening with no problems. It seems
that L412 has fixed the problems introduced in L411.

Tax Man

Nov 16, 2006, 10:37:55 AM11/16/06
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 03:50:10 GMT, Ray <vortre...@yaxhoo.com> wrote:

>I watched three or four shows this evening with no problems. It seems
>that L412 has fixed the problems introduced in L411.

I had the same problems reported by the original poster on my 522 and
thought maybe my remote was failing or the hard drive was acting up.

I don't know what software version I had before, but I am now at L412 and
the symptoms seem to be better for me too. The original problems were
intermittent so it's hard to know for sure, but I'm keeping my fingers
crossed.

Anyway it's comforting to know that it was a software glitch and not a
hardware failure. Thanks.