Tech Forum Summary 8-6-01

1 view

BobaBird

Aug 7, 2001, 1:04:56 AM8/7/01
Technical Forum
Aug 6, 2001

Hosts are Mark Jackson, Sr VP E* Technology Corp and Dave Kummer, VP
Engineering, with the peanut gallery returning to provide back-up. The
large desk has been replaced by 2 small ones.

Phone calls will all be taken in the last 20 minutes.
Phone: 1-888-621-2078. E-mail: Tech...@Dishnetwork.com.
[Don't call now - the show's over!]

AGENDA
- DishPVR 501
- DishPVR 721 preview
- StarBand
- Model 6000 and HDTV
- DISH Interactive
- Q&A

---------------

DishPVR 501
- Discuss and demonstrate existing PVR features.
- Better PQ on recordings than TiVo or RePlay can offer.
- Progam capture. Create a recording by rewinding the live TV buffer, press
record at beginning of the program, then press stop.
- Promotion for CURRENT customers!
-- Beginning Aug 13, requires 1-year commitment to AT150 and credit card
auto-pay.
-- DishPVR 501 for $199, includes free installation and free Dish500 if
needed.
-- "The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record," etc.
-- Details on next Charlie Chat, Mon Aug 13, 9pm Eastern, Ch 101.
- Version 118 added 48-hour EPG stored on the hard drive, 50 event timers,
HD spin-down when in stand-by ('off'), and video to go (no sat connection
needed for PVR playback).
- Version 119 should get rid of the "Info not available" messages seen when
quickly scanning across the EPG and clear instances of a program being
listed multiple times in the PTV list.

---------------

Giveaway
Prize: DishPVR 501
Q: 6 Degrees of Bacon game. Actor A worked with actor B ... who worked with
Kevin Bacon. In 6 steps or less, connect actor Mark Jackson (not the Forum
host) to Kevin Bacon.

---------------

DishPVR 721 Preview
- Coming very late 2001, still in development, don't call for it yet.
- Case is silver with a black panel that looks like a VCR tape slot,
controls grouped on right side.
- Internet and e-mail capabilities. 56K, later will add DSL and StarBand
support.
- Enhanced PVR. Not explained but there are some cosmetic differences.
- PIP on any TV.
- Interactive applications: weather; games and news will come later.
- CallerID.
- Extended EPG. The demo showed the current OpenTV PIP guide with a Coke ad
where the program would be, and the program on the bottom right quarter
placed over the hour of shows after the current half-hour, but there were 6
lines of channels instead of 4.
- Upgradeable software and hardware.
- 80GB hard drive.
- Dual tuner.
- USB port front and rear, rear expansion port.
- VCR output.
- 4 new buttons, compared to 501, on "optimized" IR/UHF remote.
- Optional keyboard has the remote's select and PVR clusters replicated
where a keypad would be.

---------------

StarBand
- Uses 36"x24" dish. $549 + $199 install + $70/mo + optional Dish receiver.
$10 discount with AT150.
- Model 180 "modem" is being replaced with Model 360.
- Model 360 supports ethernet and USB connections.
- 360 is smaller, simpler to install, has user diagnostics.
- Free upgrade with 1-year commitment.
http://www.starband.com/join/upgrade_details.htm
- Download speeds should increase from 350Kb to 500Kb.
- Dave says the connection is very reliable, he likes that it is always-on.
- Mark's girlfriend did the 360 upgrade in under 1 hour.

---------------

HDTV
- CBS-HD will be available at 61.5 (NY) and 148 (LA) to CBS O&O markets and
white areas.
- CBS O&O's are NY, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Boston,
Detroit, Dallas, Miami, Minneapolis, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Salt
Lake City, Austin, Green Bay.
- Full 1080i resolution, 19.37mb/sec just like OTA. No reformatting or
reduced bit-rate.
- Requires Model 6000 and separate dish. http://echostar.swiki.net/107

---------------

Model 6000 upgrade
- New aspect ratio options for owners of 4:3 HDTV sets.
- Instant program info.
- Separate digital and analog channel scanning for optional 8VSB tuner.
- Various enhancements to make the 6000 respond faster.

---------------

Giveaway
Prize: The Sims (PC game) provided by TechTV.
Q: Name 10 movies, other than A.I., directed by Steven Spielberg.

---------------

DISH Interactive
- Guest Anson Grossfeld, VP Special Accounts, OpenTV.
- Provided EPG w/PIP and fast access to program info.
- Customer support application will allow bill payment, checking account
status, adding channels.
- Home Portal. Basically a menu screen for OpenTV apps.
- Some 3800s are now 3900s. All 3800/4700s will be 3900/4900s by end of the
year.

---------------

Giveaway: 501 winner is Justin McKinley.
Jackson with Lou Criscuolo in Eddie, Criscuolo with Bacon in Enormous
Changes at the Last Minute. Only 2 hops. Dave didn't say what path he
found.

---------------

Q&A
Adrian: When will the 3800 become a 3900?
A: They describe OpenTV features, do not ask where Adrian was 2 minutes ago.

E-mail: Any high-speed internet options for the Mac?
A: Can use a Windows PC as a proxy server. The acceleration software has
not yet been written for the Mac. Mark assures that will be worked on.

Greg: Larger hard drive for the 501?
A: Definitely not be the customer. Possible to add an external HD through
the expansion port but there are copywrite issues to overcome. Larger
drives are put in new models.

Jerry: I'm used to a VCR. Does a PVR have to be left on?
A: Very simple to create an event from the EPG. The receiver will return to
its previous power state.

Bill: 501 search ability?
A: Either with or after the 7-day EPG upgrade. No keyboard capability, will
use the remote similar to how a phone might be used.

E-mail: How long will the 501 pause? Is this to a chip or the HD?
A: Always to HD, even when not paused. 1-hour buffer, considering
increasing it possibly to the available space.

Thomas: 721 include HDTV?
A: No. Similar product coming late next year.

---------------

Giveaway
Sims winner is Jay Goodman.
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Spielberg,+Steven#Director

---------------

Greg: Which ISP for the 721?
A: Your own. You will likely find the 56K connection is too slow, the main
focus will be on broadband.

E-mail: DD from HBO?
A: HBO getting more content, "we're committed to having the best DD," have
to get signal to Cheyenne. Will have DD or at least a date by the next Tech
Forum.

Greg: Sorry, Greg quota exceeded, line disconnected.

E-mail: CallerID on 501?
A: Requires change to the OpenTV EPG app which is now being maintained by
DISH. Hopefully by end of the year, will be after 7-day EPG and search.

Billy: OpenTV on 6000?
A: Not envisioned. It was designed before OpenTV came along and has
limitations. The 921 will be the HDTV version of the 721.

John McLaughlin

Aug 7, 2001, 1:45:45 AM8/7/01
What is the schedule for repeats of the Tech Forum? I can't seem to find it
on my Guide when I do a search and it's not mentioned on the web site.

-jm

"BobaBird" <Boba...@aol.spam.com.free> wrote in message

BobaBird

Aug 7, 2001, 2:29:59 AM8/7/01
"John McLaughlin" <logh...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> What is the schedule for repeats of the Tech Forum? I can't seem to find
it
> on my Guide when I do a search and it's not mentioned on the web site.

You must also have a DP. Fortunately, the deficient manual timers were able
to make up for the deficient guide info. Anyway, from
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/cust_service/tech/index.shtml which I now
seem unable to get back to...

Broadcast Times are Eastern Times
(All broadcast on channel 101)
8/7 11pm
8/8 9pm
8/9 4pm
8/13 5pm
8/16 8pm
8/25 5pm
8/29 8pm
9/6 9pm
9/9 11pm
9/11 9pm
9/14 11pm
9/16 5pm
9/19 8pm

BobaBird

Aug 7, 2001, 7:12:50 AM8/7/01
"BobaBird" <Boba...@aol.spam.com.free> wrote in message news:...

> DishPVR 501

> -- "The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record," etc.

They say this as if it's a bad thing.

> DishPVR 721 Preview
> - Coming very late 2001, still in development, don't call for it yet.
> - Case is silver with a black panel that looks like a VCR tape slot,
> controls grouped on right side.

I was trying to figure out why the odd shape seemed familiar, and then it
hit me: http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetail/0,2588,PI640-CI344,00.html .
The 721 has very similar corner bulges. The front panel controls are on the
right bulge. The area between the bulges is smooth, no gimmicky design
other than the black slot-like panel that covers a few indicator lights.

Charles