Re: Buy 942 now or wait for the 962?

James

Sep 19, 2005, 6:33:12 PM9/19/05
John Lodge wrote:

> 962's will likely become available in the first quarter of 2006. The
> Next Tech forum in November is SUPPOSE to show the new MPEG4 receivers,
> but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for your input John. I wish Dish would rent me a 942, but they
said "no." So I'll probably move to DTV for a year, and then come back
as a new customer with Dish (if you think that will work). That sounds
like my cheapest option. Unless there is a better idea? I'm open to
suggestions...

Thanks again,

James

James

Sep 19, 2005, 4:25:16 PM9/19/05
I was told that if I buy a 942 now, I'll be buying a 962 within the next
year after Dish moves to mpeg4. I.e., flush $700 down the toilet.

Is this true or false?

-James

John Lodge

Sep 19, 2005, 4:46:54 PM9/19/05
James wrote:

James,

Yes and no, Dish is planning on moving HD to MPEG4. Most if not all
additional HD channels are likely to be MPEG4. Your 942 will continue to
work but you will NOT be able to get the new MPEG4 HD channels on the
942. Eventually all HD channels will be MPEG4 only.

Dish is likely to have some sort of trade-in for current HD subs but
you likely will NOT get back your entire Investment from your 942 purchase.

942's will continue to receive OTA HD as well as the current MPEG2 HD
channels for some time and SD for a long while yet. SD will be the last
channels to move to MPEG4.

962's will likely become available in the first quarter of 2006. The
Next Tech forum in November is SUPPOSE to show the new MPEG4 receivers,
but I'm not holding my breath.

John

John Lodge

Sep 20, 2005, 6:58:38 AM9/20/05
James wrote:

James,

Once you are a Dish customer you will NOT be eligible to New Subscriber
deals.

John

James

Sep 20, 2005, 10:49:51 AM9/20/05
John Lodge wrote:

> Once you are a Dish customer you will NOT be eligible to New
> Subscriber deals.

I called DTV and they offered me a great deal on a DVR HD receiver plus
free installation. After telling Dish I will be moving to DTV - if they
didn't rent me a 942 receiver - they basically wished me luck. And if
Dish won't give me any incentives to come back, then I'll just stay with
DTV...cheaper for me in both the short and long term.

It's sad that I've been with Dish for 13 years now, and they won't lift
a finger to keep my business.

James

John Lodge

Sep 20, 2005, 11:42:39 AM9/20/05
James wrote:

James,

That's funny, Dish gave me several free or discounted upgrades in my
time with them. Two are mentioned below;

1) Free Dish 500 Upgrade, actually they paid me as I installed the Dish
upgrade which Dish gave me for free as well as free month of service.

2) Receiver upgrade for a NON DVR to a 522 for $49.00 well worth the
price as it was a replacement for what was a secondary receiver NON DVR
receiver. I just pay the lease fee of $4.99 instead of the Extra
receiver charge. Sure I pay the DVR fee of $5.00 but I can use the
receiver in the place of 2 receivers so the additional cost is a push.

Just becuase current subs are not eligible for New Subscriber deals
Dish has and does offer deals for current subs. They just aren't the
same as new Subscriber Deals.

Cable offered me deals all the time when I was a sub with them, their
deal was to raise rates at least TWICE per year. No, THANKS TIME WARNER.

John

"E"

Sep 20, 2005, 12:30:07 PM9/20/05

They do have certain things they will not do for anyone but they've been
very good to me. I've only been with them for 6 years but 2 years ago they
offered me a free receiver upgrade with a 2 year commitment and I took it.
They shipped me a new 510 (not even a shipping charge) which has worked
perfectly now for nearly 2 years. My commitment is over next month but I
wouldn't even consider changing companies.

With the exception of some misinformation on a referral a few years ago,
which they eventually straightened out, I have always gotten every request
taken care of perfectly.

Shayne

Sep 20, 2005, 12:52:43 PM9/20/05
> they basically wished me luck.

> It's sad that I've been with Dish for 13 years now, and they won't lift

> a finger to keep my business.

James - I completely agree with you and had the very same experience
you did. Dish sucks despite the absolutely false garbage others have
posted below. On the 942 they offer new subs $250 lease option but
exisiting subs must pay $800 to get the 942. That is a $550
difference. This after they get you hooked on the DVR experience. It
cleaarly shows what they think my 5 years of loyalty is worth. I want
a provider that is always helping me to be on the leading edge with
technology, features, and cost. Then I will go out and recruit new
customers for them - certainly worth more than the $550 they want to
screw me for.

I ended up staying with them (for now) and trying the 811 with the old
510 DVR as a second reciever (so I can keep the DVR feature at least on
SD channels).

Shayne

James

Sep 20, 2005, 2:21:21 PM9/20/05
"E" wrote:

> offered me a free receiver upgrade with a 2 year commitment and I took it.
> They shipped me a new 510 (not even a shipping charge) which has worked
> perfectly now for nearly 2 years. My commitment is over next month but I
> wouldn't even consider changing companies.

The thing that really annoyed me about Dish was when I explained to them
that I didn't want to spend $700 now and a year later spend another $700
for an MPEG4 DVR. And especially after just spending $2K on a new HDTV.
I just wanted to rent a 942 until the 962 was released. What would be so
difficult about renting me a 942 when they do it for new customers? Is
there any advantage for 10+ year customers? In my case, 13 years.
Obviously they don't care if I don't hang around. As for the previous
positive comments about Dish...well Dish, if you're reading this, I've
never been as fortunate as these folks. Now would be a good time to
change your policy with 13 year subs. Otherwise DTV will be here on
Monday to install their system...

Jo...@sunprairiewi.com

Sep 20, 2005, 2:42:20 PM9/20/05

On 20-Sep-2005, "Shayne" <shayne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dish sucks despite the absolutely false garbage others have
> posted below.

Why do you say that?

How do you know that what is posted by others is "absolutely false garbage?"

There are millions of us--yes, I said MILLIONS--of us who are quite happy
with Dish.

Many businesses offer things to attract new customers that are not available
to existing customers (who have already gotten their new customer benefit).

Your comparison does not hold water; you are comparing apples and oranges.

New customers can LEASE a 942 for $250 up front and a monthly fee.

Existing customers can BUY a 942 for $800.

And why do you put yourself down by saying Dish does not think much of your
years of 'loyalty' as if that entitles you to some kind of preferential
treatment?

Some of us here have been with Dish more than five years and are not unhappy
just because Dish's marketing strategy is not designed to help us to be on
the leading edge with technology, features, and cost--which you seem to feel
means at NO COST.

A suggestion: Go out and recruit ten new customers for Dish and then see
what the situation is.

Jim

Sep 20, 2005, 5:56:39 PM9/20/05

Well it's $700 not $800 for a 942. And that is without trade-ins which can reduce the cost by as
much as $200. No one knows for sure when the 962 will actually be released and or when it will be
debugged properly or what "new" content will actually be available on the initial mpeg4 channels.
You can always just wait. There is no way Dish will not offer a trade in/upgrade for 942 owners and
even if they don't the private outfits probably will. But as with any new technology you have to
make the choice of waiting or being an early adopter and risking the possibility of buying something
that will be orphaned as things progress.

Jim

David

Sep 21, 2005, 11:53:38 PM9/21/05
I'm a happy dich Netwotk customer. Been with Dish since 1998.

robertw4771

Sep 27, 2005, 6:47:01 PM9/27/05
700.00 for the 942 is really pricey. I expect the 962 to be similar in
price. I have two tvs that I would hook up to th upgraded receivers. I
would think for 1400.00 they wold offer some programming deals or
something to ofset a large investment like that. I will see what
happens with the 962 next year but would consider a move to DTV if they
gave me a good offer for HD equipment...

Rob

David

Oct 1, 2005, 6:42:01 PM10/1/05
Dish Network has only been in business since 1996. I thought today's
newspaper had a 2005 date on it. If I'm wrong and you've been with
Dish Network for 13 years that makes it 2009. Can you tell me if the
Red Sox won the world series in 2005?

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:49:51 -0400, James <anon...@nowhere.no>

FlyingBoat

Oct 7, 2005, 5:55:24 PM10/7/05

I don't understand this about new customers lease the 942 for $250 + a
monthly fee. What is the monthly fee? Is it the $5 DVR fee? When I have
been looking into it I haven't heard anything about a monthly fee. If I
pick up Dish I just pay the $250 and the covers two TV's 1 HD and one
not. What is the extra fee?

If existing customers buy it for $700 as an extra box do they not need
to pay the $5 fee per month per box?

--
FlyingBoat, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US