Cyberspace Conference

Richard Caasi

Oct 18, 1989, 1:11:52 PM10/18/89

From: ucsd!vitruvius.ar.utexas.edu!erik (Erik Josowitz)
Subject: THE FIRST CONFERENCE ON CYBERSPACE

* *
* <<<<THE FIRST CONFERENCE ON CYBERSPACE>>>> *
* e x p a n d e d a n n o u n c e m e n t *
* *

The First Conference on Cyberspace is to be held May 4th and 5th,
1990, at the University of Texas at Austin. This is a call for
abstracts, approximately twelve of which will be selected by the
Program Committee for development and presentation as papers at the
Conference. All papers, and a number of selected abstracts, will
be published in Proceedings., available later in the year of 1990.
Abstracts are due December 15th, 1989.

Participation in the Conference is limited to 50 people, first
preference being given to presenters, second to submitters of
abstracts, and third to others with creative and clearly stated
interests in the topic. There is a registration fee for all
participants of $115.00. Printed material, two lunches, and one
dinner (on the 5th) will be provided for all participants.

***********************

The First Conference on Cyberspace is not about the enabling
technology of 3-D interfaces or high speed computer graphics.
It is about the nature of cyberspace conceived of as an independent
realm, a shared virtual environment whose objects and spaces are
data, visualized (and heard). Effective technical means of access
to, and navigation in, cyberspace is assumed.

The focus of the First Conference on Cyberspace is theoretical
and conceptual. Although the Conference seeks to arrive at the
outlines of a consensus and vision of cyberspace from first
principles, it also seeks to reach an understanding of how the
components of cyberspace already "under construction" in the
development and design of graphic user interfaces, scientific
visualization techniques, video games, CAD, abstract architecture
and architectural design theory, knowledge navigation, "cyberpunk"
discourse, virtual and artificial reality systems, ISDN and other
networks, groupware, and hypermedia might someday function together
to create a true, public cyberspace, as well as private, special-
purpose cyberspaces: viable, 3-dimensional, alternate realities
providing the maximum number of individuals with the means of
communication, creativity, productivity, mobility, and control
over the shapes of their lives within the new information and
media environment.

******************

The First Conference on Cyberspace is scheduled to occur in five
sessions over the two days. Topics of interest include:

I. WHY CYBERSPACE? Representative subtopics: the nature/
validity/lessons of William Gibson's vision; cyberspace and
mythology; the nature of work and power in an "informated"
society (cf. Zuboff); implosion and media; global vs. local
vs. private systems; (un)real estate law; costs and benefits
of reifying information. . .

II. LOGICAL AND ONTOLOGICAL PROBLEMS. Representative
sub-topics: space-time axiomatics; magic vs. logic; the
presence of self and others; the meaning of travel and
action; the framing of cyberspace; surveillance, security
and privacy; strategies of search and navigation; requisite
levels of structure and consensus. . .

III. REPRESENTING AND MANIPULATING DATA IN SPACE.
Natural vs. artificial coordinate systems; the form and meaning
of data objects; state, phase, and abstract spaces of scientific
visualization; 3-dimensional user interface design; ambiguity,
complexity and learning; visual languages; art and science
together at last?; real world control and feedback; human
performance with abstract stimuli. . .

IV. VISUALIZATIONS OF THE SYSTEM. Literary, graphic, or
computer examples of, attempts at, and designs for cyberspace,
at the public or private scale; architecture in, and the
architecture of, cyberspace; alternative spatiotemporal meta-
phors from physical reality; discussion of legal, economic, and
technological factors in the institution of cyberspace(s). . .

V. DINNER AND WRAP UP. Summary, discussion, and setting
of date and place of the Second Conference on Cyberspace.

*************************

Abstracts should be no longer than 800 words, and no shorter
than 500. They should include the sender's name(s), affiliation,
address and e-mail address if possible. Abstracts are due by
December 15th 1989. Notification of selection will be by
January 15, 1990.

Send abstracts (and questions) to:

Michael Benedikt, Professor
School of Architecture,
The University of Texas at Austin,
Austin, Texas 78712
(512-471-1922)

or bene...@vitruvius.ar.utexas.edu

or (FAX) 512-471-0716

Computer Science at The University of Texas at Austin. The
organisers would like to thank the many repsondents to the
first, abbreviated announcement of the Conference on the net
in August. Please note the new abstract deadline with this
expanded announcement.

Program Commitee:

Michael Benedikt, chairman School of Architecture
The University of Texas at Austin

Don Fussell Department of Computer Sciences
The University of Texas at Austin

William Gibson Vancouver, B. C.

Charles Grantham Interpersonal Systems
Martinez, Ca.

Rudy Rucker Dept. of Math. and Computer Sci.
San Jose State University
and Autodesk, Ca.

Eliot Handelman

Oct 19, 1989, 12:02:00 AM10/19/89
In article <40...@ucselx.sdsu.edu> ca...@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Richard Caasi) writes:
;
;From: ucsd!vitruvius.ar.utexas.edu!erik (Erik Josowitz)

;
;
; ***********************************************
; * *
; * <<<<THE FIRST CONFERENCE ON CYBERSPACE>>>> *
; * e x p a n d e d a n n o u n c e m e n t *
; * *
; ***********************************************

This is about the schmuckiest thing I've ever read in this newsgroup
chock full o' schmucks.

Chris Williams

Oct 19, 1989, 11:11:25 PM10/19/89
In article <10...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> el...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) writes:
>This is about the schmuckiest thing I've ever read in this newsgroup
>chock full o' schmucks.

No criticism, but next time you're in a book store, you might
consider picking up a thesaurus.

Thomas Maddox

Oct 21, 1989, 9:25:50 PM10/21/89
In article <10...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> el...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) writes [regarding the First Cyberspace Conference]:

>This is about the schmuckiest thing I've ever read in this newsgroup
>chock full o' schmucks.

Trolling for abuse, Eliot?

Or is this some weird self-immolating postmodernist gesture?

Or do you simply like repeating the word "shmuck" due to the
fact that your neural maps are scrambled?

Tom Maddox
UUCP: ...{ucf-cs|gatech!uflorida}!novavax!maddoxt

Eliot Handelman

Oct 23, 1989, 5:06:30 AM10/23/89
In article <15...@novavax.UUCP> mad...@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) writes:
;In article <10...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> el...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) writes [regarding the First Cyberspace Conference]:

;>This is about the schmuckiest thing I've ever read in this newsgroup
;>chock full o' schmucks.

; Trolling for abuse, Eliot?

No Tom, I was being abusive.

; Or is this some weird self-immolating postmodernist gesture?

No Tom, I was immolating the First Cyberspace Conference.

; Or do you simply like repeating the word "shmuck" due to the

;fact that your neural maps are scrambled?

Ha ha. That's a rhetorical question, isn't it? It had better be, but I have
my suspicions. Literalist readings of books once called `semiotic' are now,
it turns out, germane to Maddox.

Thomas Maddox

Oct 24, 1989, 11:44:55 PM10/24/89
In article <11...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> el...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) writes:
>In article <15...@novavax.UUCP> mad...@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) writes:
>;In article <10...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> el...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) writes [regarding the First Cyberspace Conference]:

>;>This is about the schmuckiest thing I've ever read in this newsgroup
>;>chock full o' schmucks.

[and I ask]:

>; Or do you simply like repeating the word "shmuck" due to the
>;fact that your neural maps are scrambled?

>Ha ha. That's a rhetorical question, isn't it? It had better be, but I have
>my suspicions.

I like the last sentence. It borders on meaning something, but
never crosses over.

>Literalist readings of books once called `semiotic' are now,
>it turns out, germane to Maddox.

Oh, I get it. You really *are* pissed that the computer
heads are trying to "implement" cyberspace.

What did you expect them to do? This is not a rhetorical
question.

Tom Maddox
UUCP: ...{ucf-cs|gatech!uflorida}!novavax!maddoxt

Internet: novavax!mad...@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

Eliot Handelman

Oct 28, 1989, 12:34:54 AM10/28/89
In article <15...@novavax.UUCP> mad...@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) writes:
;In article <11...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> el...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) writes:
;>In article <15...@novavax.UUCP> mad...@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) writes:
;>;In article <10...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> el...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) writes [regarding the First Cyberspace Conference]:

;>;>This is about the schmuckiest thing I've ever read in this newsgroup
;>;>chock full o' schmucks.
;[and I ask]:
;>; Or do you simply like repeating the word "shmuck" due to the
;>;fact that your neural maps are scrambled?

;>Ha ha. That's a rhetorical question, isn't it? It had better be, but I have
;>my suspicions.

; I like the last sentence. It borders on meaning something, but
;never crosses over.

Oh come on Tom. I was sure you'd pick it up. You have to take the the
flavor of the word 'literalist' in the next sentence and apply it to
the sentence about 'neural maps.'

;>Literalist readings of books once called `semiotic' are now,

;>it turns out, germane to Maddox.

; Oh, I get it. You really *are* pissed that the computer
;heads are trying to "implement" cyberspace.

; What did you expect them to do? This is not a rhetorical
;question.

Why, I expected them to drill holes in each other's heads, of course. In the
interests of techne or schmuckdom, one or the other.